Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
saxon farm
24 Mar 18 21:33
| Topic/replies: 2,106 | Blogger: saxon farm's blog
Has slipped comfortably into the shoes of the late Alex Hay.
Share |

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 38
By:
saxon farm
When: 24 Mar 18 22:41
He booms in with cliches as if they are revelations. For heavens sake Mark, people with little better to do on a Saturday evening watching a golf channel might just understand the intricacies of the game.
Please refrain from being so patronising.
By:
sewter lives again
When: 25 Mar 18 19:54
He is dreadful and it is excruciating listening to him-especially with his recent Tiger love-in.

When he is paired with McGinley it is unbelievably bad.
By:
Puggy4
When: 26 Mar 18 11:58
He is the worst commentator in sport, all he does is state the obvious and explain to us what we can see ourselves with our own eyes.
By:
charwell.
When: 27 Mar 18 01:50
Says being world number one for a week is equivalent to winning a major. The plonker.

Bet Luke Donald would give his right arm plus his time at number one for a major. Wasn't aware you ever won a trophy for being 'number one.' Let alone a major!!

Peddles utter tosh at times.
By:
sewter lives again
When: 27 Mar 18 08:31
I'll tell you how bad it has become i have started to be glad when Ewen Murray is commentating
By:
trebor
When: 27 Mar 18 11:24
As much as I find Mark Roe's commentating annoying, I think there is merit in his comment, of the 20 World number 1's only two have never won a Major, and both of those probably would not have made it to top spot if Tiger had not been out injured.

The following players with their world rankings in brackets never got near to  the number 1 spot but all won a major, Ben Curtis (396)  Shaun Micheel (169)  Darren Clarke (111)  Yang Yong-eun (110)  Micheal Campbell (80)

Getting to number 1 you may not get the adrenalin rush of winning a major, or any event, but the achievement is greater. And Luke Donald did receive the Mark McCormack award for his achievement.
By:
mengmeng
When: 27 Mar 18 12:44
you beat me to it Trebor, getting to number 1 is harder than winning a major
By:
Puggy4
When: 27 Mar 18 13:34
History never remembers World No 1`s but history will always remember Major Winners. Phil Mickelson never got to Number I but he will always be remembered for his Majors and 43 tour titles. Lee and Luke will be remembered as decent players but being No I for afew weeks/months will never give them the status or legacy of Major Winners. When Lee and Luke were No 1 no-one considered them the best players in the world but the points system put them at that position. Neither of them were ever favourite for a major pre Tee Off.
By:
mengmeng
When: 27 Mar 18 14:25
wasnt Westwood a 12/1 joint favorite for the masters one time? im by no means certain of that i just recall it for some reason.maybe it was afte the first round that timehe was leading.
By:
trebor
When: 27 Mar 18 16:03
Can agree with some of that Puggy, but who was better than Luke in 2011??  Of the major winners I mentioned above who never got to number 1, (I missed out Paul Lawrie of course) I wonder how many of those now looking back on their career would have preferred to have got to number 1 rather than be known as a shock 1 off major winner.
By:
charwell.
When: 28 Mar 18 09:48
I wonder how many of those now looking back on their career would have preferred to have got to number 1 rather than be known as a shock 1 off major winner.

None.

To golfers it's about winning championship majors. Being 'world number 1' without having won a major is almost a point of ridicule and not celebration.

Donald, Westwood, Monty etc have always been accused of 'not being number 1' because of a lack of majors.

Duval was world number one for a long time prior to Woods domination. If he didn't win The Open then it would have been very hollow. Winning his major cemented him as a proper number one in history.

Far to much air time is given to rankings and not sufficient to winning. Trophies is how a golfers career is measured. Nearly men like Donald, Westwood, Monty will always be remembered for '0' majors and not the number of Order of Merits they have won.

It's like football. For years Arsenal viewed 'Top 4' as a trophy. Yet the record books show they have won the European Cup '0' times. Liverpool (until recently) over that period couldn't even qualify most of the time. Yet they have won it 5 times. Arsenal had a higher European seeding/ranking. But of course that means feck all.
By:
xmoneyx
When: 28 Mar 18 11:06
nantz is the bees knees
By:
saxon farm
When: 28 Mar 18 12:34
I agree xmoneyx
By:
Puggy4
When: 28 Mar 18 15:17
Agree with that charwell, I doubt if Paul Lawrie will tell his grandkids that he would love to swap the replica claret jug on the mantelpiece for afew weeks as world number 1 in 1999.
By:
trebor
When: 28 Mar 18 15:29
Well Charwell as it does not seem to be your opinion, I can only congratulate you on the speed you managed to contact and get a response from all the tour pro's, sure puts me in my place, felt sure at least one would agree getting to number 1 equal or above to getting a major. Can only thank you for not putting in the cringe worthy FACT!! after None.

Anyway just a couple of questions, How does football come into this discussion, it is a team sport and you can pick up the trophy and never come of the subs bench the whole tournament, very different to Golf.

And 2nd question, what happened to Mark Roe's opinion, a sceptic might think that's the only one you actually got, can't just ignore it because it didn't match yours and say "None"

And Puggy that is the exact situation I envisage, telling the Grandkids that you where the number one golfer in the world over winning a major is better in my eyes. But I am prepared to accept that my opinion will be in the minority. I just don't think that someone should get abuse and referred to as "Peddles utter tosh at times." just because it does not match their opinion.
By:
Puggy4
When: 28 Mar 18 15:44
Even though reaching no 1 is a great achievement it lacks the Glory of being a major winner. Although I don't know, I would guess that Lee and Luke would gladly swap. Tom Lehman was number 1 for a week but does anyone really care or remember over time.  Its all about silverware.
By:
sewter lives again
When: 28 Mar 18 16:28
mm let me think world number 1 for a week or sinking the winning putt on the 72nd hole and having someone give you a green jacket

absolute no-brainer pity I will never get that jacket
By:
FatherMaguire
When: 28 Mar 18 23:11
Fluke winners of majors, there are no fluke number ones, but winning a major is a true test of cajones

I guess most players would want a major, but history would say Number ones are better players - for a short hitter like Donald to get to number one was an incredible achievement though - his short game around that time was no worse than Seve in his prime, and I cant think of a higher compliment - he was brilliant
By:
mengmeng
When: 29 Mar 18 10:21
all those onlt got to number 1 because of Tiger being away, i think the only guys to make it in the era of Tiger were Vijay and Duval, not even Phil managed it, i remember he had a few tournies where a winwould make him number 1 and he played very poor each time.
By:
xmoneyx
When: 02 Apr 18 15:32
does parnavik still get a xmas card
By:
Knight Rider
When: 02 Apr 18 17:52
Bit of a difference quoting Phil Mickelson and the likes of Curtis/Micheel.  If I had a son just starting a pro golf career would I take Phil Mickelson's career or Lee Westwood's?  Mickelson obviously.  Would I take Shaun Micheel's career over Lee Westwood's?  No way.
By:
the stunning
When: 02 Apr 18 21:07
Agree with you there KR.Reading this made me wonder who was the least likely major champion of the last 20 years...Micheel shades it for me,though Danny is a close 2nd at this stage,just think he may turn his career around.
By:
Knight Rider
When: 02 Apr 18 22:52
It depends whether you judge it on how much of a shock it was at the time, versus what they subsequently do in the rest of their career.  For example Zach Johnson and Louis Oosthuizen both won majors at odds of 300-400 whereas Willett was the world number 12 going into Augusta and I can't remember his exact price but was probably in the 70-80 range.  Obviously Zach & Louis kicked on a bit from their surprise wins unlike Willett...but to be honest even if Willett retired today he still has had a better career than Beem, Curtis, Micheel, Hamilton, Y.E. Yang or Glover.

Seems like it's been a few years now since we had one of those proper shock winners in a major, perhaps we are due!
By:
HeinzGuderian
When: 03 Apr 18 00:16
I like Roey....Plain and Ive a few Quid on Wesley Bryan for the shock win on Sunday! ExcitedBlushCool
By:
Puggy4
When: 03 Apr 18 12:57
Don't think Danny was world no 12 going into Augusta as his highest career ranking was 11 which was after the Masters. He was 90-95 for the Masters the year he won, a friend of mine backed him at 90. He had won in Dubai earlier in the year.
By:
Puggy4
When: 03 Apr 18 12:58
Who is your tip this year Knight Rider?
By:
f1sh
When: 03 Apr 18 15:52
He's awful, wish I had a pound for every time he says "one of the best bunker, wedge, drivers, up and downers etc etc in the game, just listen to it this week its non stop
By:
ian merseyside
When: 03 Apr 18 20:27
20 number ones and only 2 of them major winners!!!???? Without checking I can think of Faldo, Norman, Woods, Spieth and McIlroy.
By:
ian merseyside
When: 03 Apr 18 20:40
Sorry, my mistake.  I misread the original post.
By:
charwell.
When: 04 Apr 18 01:52
Bet Rich Beem, Micheel etc wouldn't swap their major for a few weeks as a forgotten 'number 1.'

Rankings are subjective in golf. What matters is what quality of silverware you have won. If you can say over 4 days you beat the finest in the world and have a trophy in the cabinet to prove it then that is worth far more than being a 'number 1' with no majors for a few weeks. Any golfer would concede that.
By:
Knight Rider
When: 04 Apr 18 02:15

Apr 3, 2018 -- 12:57PM, Puggy4 wrote:

Don't think Danny was world no 12 going into Augusta as his highest career ranking was 11 which was after the Masters. He was 90-95 for the Masters the year he won, a friend of mine backed him at 90. He had won in Dubai earlier in the year.

It's on the owgr website if you want to check.  #12 going into Augusta, #9 after the win.

By:
Puggy4
When: 04 Apr 18 09:29
I will bow to your superior knowledge Knight Rider, I know he is not in the top 250 now, maybe if he never won the Masters he would still be in the top 50 in the world. Winning certainly helped his bank balance but seems to have hurt his career.
By:
Puggy4
When: 04 Apr 18 09:34
Best of luck with your selections KR, I remember you backed Bubba four years ago at 28, maybe you fancy him again at 22?
By:
the stunning
When: 04 Apr 18 17:38
Not sure I would agree Danny has had a better career than Ben Curtis if he retired today,Curtis won 3 other PGA tour events.Remmember two of them he couldn't defend in the same year because they were taken off the calendar....what bad luck
By:
Knight Rider
When: 04 Apr 18 19:18

Apr 4, 2018 -- 9:34AM, Puggy4 wrote:

Best of luck with your selections KR, I remember you backed Bubba four years ago at 28, maybe you fancy him again at 22?

Not really.  He could definitely win of course but it feels like the golfing landscape is a lot different to 4 years ago.  So many top class players to beat now, I just don't think Bubba has quite the same upside in his game as 5/6 of the others.

By:
saxon farm
When: 10 May 18 23:08
Roe is back again, as pompous as previously.
The golfing broadcasting equal of Mick Fitzgerald. 
Not my cup of tea, but each to their own
By:
Happy Valley
When: 04 Jun 18 09:51
a very good comparison saxon F, he and MF either state the bloody obvious as if they are geniuses, or spout sh!te as if it is gospel. such yawn material.
By:
bigH
When: 12 Jun 18 22:29
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now