Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Facts
19 Feb 18 17:38
| Topic/replies: 26,947 | Blogger: Facts's blog
Thomas
Hatton
Fleetwood
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Honda Classic
Show More
Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:11 PM GMT

Feb 25, 2018 -- 5:09PM, sewter lives again wrote:

haha Norman and Fleetwood in the same sentence

outrageous isn't it

Report Total Bosman February 25, 2018 11:11 PM GMT
Rickie not got anything better to do with his weekend off?
Report Lufc86 February 25, 2018 11:12 PM GMT
Roe "His entourage"

Ie the hookers
Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:13 PM GMT
no common sense in golf. Have to do this ridiculous act in pretend drops
Report GRANTCKING February 25, 2018 11:13 PM GMT

Feb 25, 2018 -- 5:12PM, Lufc86 wrote:

Roe "His entourage"Ie the hookers

Laugh pretty much what I thought aswell

Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:14 PM GMT
Mighty whites respect your opinion but fleetwood not got killer touch for majors
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:16 PM GMT
Dont like yanks too much but big Phil plays for the top,prizes
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 25, 2018 11:16 PM GMT
time will tell
Report dibdob February 25, 2018 11:16 PM GMT
You'd be surprised how many golf groupies are out there. I had a lot of women showing interest in me back in the day just because I slightly resembled Tiger.
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:17 PM GMT
One in every port Cool
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 25, 2018 11:20 PM GMT
that would be phil with 5 majors 11 seconds 7 thirds ... what were you saying about too many seconds and thirds
Report Hank Hill February 25, 2018 11:20 PM GMT
well played JT - what's that 7 wins now?
Report dibdob February 25, 2018 11:21 PM GMT
Thank you JT young Sir. My 3rd winner and big green on the PGA tour in the last 5 tournaments plus a handy 2nd.  Fcuk the nags, I'm sticking to golf!
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:21 PM GMT
but 5 majors MW  that shows his class
Report sewter lives again February 25, 2018 11:21 PM GMT
far too many seconds and thirds for anxious
Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:21 PM GMT
JT loves trophies
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 25, 2018 11:21 PM GMT
well done jt 7 wins in his last 31 starts

cracking weeks golf, great course and Tiger showing glimpses of what might be
Report EUGENE KRABS February 25, 2018 11:22 PM GMT
Palmer out of Jail
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:22 PM GMT
No Mickelson is a fantastic player and a winner at the top too
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:22 PM GMT
Not a bottle merchant like the great white shark
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:24 PM GMT
Faldo destroyed the shark in 96 at Augusta
Report sewter lives again February 25, 2018 11:24 PM GMT
anxious Norman could easily have won 5 majors had 3 "stolen" by freak shots
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:24 PM GMT
larry mize you mean
Report sewter lives again February 25, 2018 11:25 PM GMT
and Bob Tway
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 25, 2018 11:25 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6d-10pjcEE

just for you anxious
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:26 PM GMT
Sewter he should have won before he got in play offs
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:27 PM GMT
Once is careless twice is .....
Report EUGENE KRABS February 25, 2018 11:27 PM GMT
don't forget the monster drive he hit in the open play off that dived right into bunker the year Calc won
Report EUGENE KRABS February 25, 2018 11:27 PM GMT
very unlucky
Report Facts February 25, 2018 11:28 PM GMT
So well played by JT.
Thoroughly deserved Cool
Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:28 PM GMT
Norman spent 331 weeks at world no 1 and people label him a choker. I would love to be so unsuccessful
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:29 PM GMT
Thomas is a very good player , but lets see if he can do the walk walk  all the time
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:30 PM GMT
Rhino who was the better player  norman or faldo ?
Report GRANTCKING February 25, 2018 11:31 PM GMT
faldo of course
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:32 PM GMT
thank you abberdonia
Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:32 PM GMT

Feb 25, 2018 -- 5:30PM, anxious wrote:

Rhino who was the better player

Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:33 PM GMT
FFS forum. Norman was easily the better player. Not even a question.
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:33 PM GMT
Laugh
Report EUGENE KRABS February 25, 2018 11:34 PM GMT
Thomas might well go in again next week in Mexico finished 5th there last year
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:34 PM GMT
Faldo won 6 majors to normans 2 ?
Report GRANTCKING February 25, 2018 11:35 PM GMT
anxious KNOWS
Report sewter lives again February 25, 2018 11:35 PM GMT
anxious I think he has the game and have backed him at 18/1 for the Masters pretty sure he has the game for Augusta but as you say we will see

so do you think he can win the Masters?
Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:35 PM GMT
The only argument you could make for Faldo is the majors tally. 331 weeks at no 1 vs 97 weeks is far more telling as to who the better player was.
Report sewter lives again February 25, 2018 11:36 PM GMT
rhino obviously
Report EUGENE KRABS February 25, 2018 11:36 PM GMT
Google getting a good workout tonight Grin
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:36 PM GMT
Who Thomas yes he has the vital ingredient , temperament he is cool under pressure.
Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:37 PM GMT
Norman was always the box office guy. Faldo was the other guy.
Report GRANTCKING February 25, 2018 11:37 PM GMT

Feb 25, 2018 -- 5:35PM, therhino wrote:

The only argument you could make for Faldo is the majors tally. 331 weeks at no 1 vs 97 weeks is far more telling as to who the better player was.

norman was the wozniaki of golf

Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:37 PM GMT
Laugh
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:38 PM GMT
Rhino 6 plays 2 , end of.
Report therhino February 25, 2018 11:39 PM GMT
Just gonna go round and round. See you next time.
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:39 PM GMT
adios its a game of opinions
Report anxious February 25, 2018 11:42 PM GMT
Tiger Wods is the best player ever , then Sevriano Ballesteros , thats my take on it
Report sewter lives again February 25, 2018 11:47 PM GMT
surely not Seve he "only" won 5 majors must at least be behind sir Nick's 6
Report Lufc86 February 25, 2018 11:52 PM GMT
jack nicklaus says hi
Report Facts February 26, 2018 12:19 PM GMT
'......Tiger Wods is the best player ever , then Sevriano Ballesteros , thats my take on it.....'

Was
Report lfc1971 February 27, 2018 7:28 AM GMT
Norman was a much more talented golfer than Faldo ever was.
Report lfc1971 February 27, 2018 7:31 AM GMT
in fact Lyle and Woosnam were more talented golfers than Faldo
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 27, 2018 9:52 PM GMT
I think Norman was probably the better all round golfer 88 wins to Faldo's 41

Norman won 20 times on the pga tour to faldo's 3 outside his majors.

Faldo generally maximised his opportunities in majors where Norman must wonder how he only managed 2. That said the game can be cruel. Faldo won 6. Of those 6 he was in the right place at right time on a number of occassions. John Cook should have won the 92 open but missed a few short putts at the end. Azinger was in pole position with a few to go in 87. There was a degree of fortune in all his masters wins floyd dunking it in the pond in the play off hoch missing his tiddler to win and norman's collapse.

Norman on the other hand suffered some genuine miss fortune to lose back to back majors to players holing out from the off the green is bad luck. That said he chucked plenty away with poor finishes e.g. 86 masters 96 masters there were a few others where it was his to lose and he did.
Report maleuk01. February 27, 2018 9:59 PM GMT
Prob over the course of history there have been 100's of golfers with much more natural ability than Faldo.

But hardly any with the drive and determination he had, hence he won 6 majors.

Not many golfers are in the 6+ major category list. They are not won by just luck as mighty Whites is suggesting, you need cahooners and to be close enough if others fail to grab the win.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 27, 2018 11:07 PM GMT
totally agree male you have to be up there to take advantage and generally make your own luck but go back 30 years and give scott hoch 2 putts from 20 ft to win the masters and he probably does it 99 times out of 100. Give Larry Mize a hundred balls from where he was and he wont replicate that shot you could probably give him a 1000.

No one can take faldo's 6 majors away from him he was a great player and at the crucial moment showed nerves of steel.

Norman was also a great player and the body of his work is amazing had he picked up a major or two in the mid 80s then he may have gone on to win many many majors but the scar tissue probably told in the end.

most week's as world number one

1    Tiger Woods    683
2    Greg Norman    331
3    Nick Faldo    97
4    Rory McIlroy    95

Hard to argue Greg wasn't a great his reign was also in the period of a number of great players including sir nick
Report trebor February 28, 2018 3:58 PM GMT
How can you tell that a certain golfer is more talented than another? Let alone come to the conclusion that 3 golfers with 5 Majors between them where all more talented than Faldo with 6 on his own??
Report drive for show putt for dough February 28, 2018 6:31 PM GMT
Back in the day there was no better sight than hard charging sunday from the the shark.

Two great golfers with contrasting games both had different talents.

Norman had everything his driving was imperious especially with the old persimmon woods. A tremendously attacking golfer.

Faldo was methodical a wonderful long iron player and a special will to win when under pressure.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2018 12:01 AM GMT
FYI

Catch Me ifyoucan • April 8, 2017 12:10 AM BST

How golfer Greg Norman became a one-man conglomerate.
He never won the Masters, but the tournament was where he started his legendary business career.
Thirty years ago, Greg Norman missed a birdie putt that would have won him The Masters. As it turned out, the Australian World Golf Hall of Famer was more fortunate that year than his loss at Augusta let on.

In 1987, Norman laid the groundwork for Greg Norman Golf Course Design, which has since designed and built more than 100 golf courses around the world. At the time, Norman was 32 years old. He would go on to play professionally for another 22 years — during which he won 15 of his 20 PGA Tour victories and become the first golfer to earn $10 million in his career. The design firm he created in 1987 would become the foundation of a mini-conglomerate that would make his golf earnings look like spare change used to mark a spot on the green.

Norman now has nearly a dozen businesses under his company’s umbrella. The golf course design firm preceded the Greg Norman Collection apparel line in 1992, his wine label in 1996 and, eventually, an eyewear label, a restaurant, a line of meats, a real-estate development firm, a golf academy, luxury housing, a private-equity fund and a wakeboard park.
“He only had a high-school education — he never went to college because he started playing golf and traveling the world playing golf — but he’s always been a student,” says Chris Diladou, Greg Norman Company’s chief operating officer and Norman’s son-in-law. “It doesn’t matter if it’s the game of golf or when he wanted to be a fighter pilot: He kind of has an engineer’s mind. More than anything else, he just gets granular and loves to learn.”
Before he started all of his businesses, he was being represented by management company IMG and was letting them do much of the steering.
“The brand came into its own when I left the management company I was with and figured I was just a pass-through entity with them like every other athlete is with a management company,” Norman says. “My ‘use by’ date was up and they were never going to invest any equity in my brand.”
At the time he stepped away from IMG, Norman was endorsing Reebok products and had developed a working relationship with Reebok founder Paul Fireman. Norman had picked up his “Great White Shark” nickname at the 1981 Masters, and Fireman’s Reebok created a shark logo for Norman and sold it back to him for a dollar. He then leased it back to the company as part of a long-term licensing arrangement that became the basis of the Greg Norman Collection, which functioned independently of his golf course design firm. While building the apparel line, Norman learned a valuable lesson about marketing and branding from Fireman.
“He believed in me so much because I put bums on the seats, I was a needle-mover at golf tournaments and I would sell Reebok gear when I endorsed Reebok,” Norman says. “He was powerfully strong in his belief that, by starting the Greg Norman Collection with Reebok’s distribution and marketing might, it would never be anything but a success.”

We don’t use the term “mini-conglomerate” lightly. The Greg Norman Collection’s now been in existence for nearly 25 years, and functions independently of the other items in Norman’s portfolio out of necessity. For example, when Norman wanted to get into winemaking in 1996, he took his endorsement deal with Australian brewer Fosters and turned it into a stake in then-Foster’s-owned Treasury Wine Estates — which eventually split off from the brewer in 2011. It is his belief that he needs to dedicate time to each branch of his business, specifically, to ensure both quality and credibility.

“You’ve seen a lot of other sports men and women try to follow what I did and fail, in many ways, because you have to have the strength of sustainability,” Norman says. “You have to have the distribution center, you have to have your own winemakers. If you’re going to put your name on the door, you have to be there all the time making sure the right [cost of goods sold] are there, the right labeling is there, the right varietal is there — understanding what varietals need to be added to the portfolio, whether it’s a Malbec from Argentina, a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. Every year or half year we’re looking to see where the market is moving.”
Greg Norman Estates wines are part of a company portfolio that includes the Greg Norman Australian Grille restaurant in South Carolina, the Greg Norman Australian Prime beef line, Greg Norman Eyewear, a real-estate development company, a golf academy, a private golf community and a wakeboard park — all under Norman’s own brand.
As with his clothing business, Norman has attempted to find partners that bolster his own brand instead of simply using his endorsement — most recently striking a deal with Verizon this year for a yet-undefined plan to bring wireless technology to professional golf.

“Paul Fireman always believed in me being a clean slate: He didn’t want me to have any advertising on me,” Norman says, noting that his own multiple businesses all refer back to him directly. “He convinced me to stay clean, trust the brand and make sure the brand was the priority above everything else.”
At one point, Norman’s brands all fit neatly under one larger title: Great White Shark Enterprises. As that company continued to grow, its priorities quickly centered around its future. Three years ago, Norman, who is now 62, took his executives to his ranch in Colorado and put two plans in front of them: A 12-year plan and a 200-year plan. Though Norman admits his staff “all looked at me like I was an idiot” for looking that far ahead, he wanted them to realize that they should be considering the bigger picture as well. Norman wanted to be sure that he could not only maintain his legacy, but ensure that the quality of products attached to his name and logo would be there after his death.

Norman took the first major step toward that goal in 2013, when he founded his Great White Shark Opportunity Fund and, with the help of private-equity firm Kohlberg & Company, acquired golf management firm Troon Golf from Goldman Sachs GS, +0.05%  . Shifting away from sports marketing and toward equity, consumer and business-to-business transactions, Norman’s company’s rebranded from Great White Shark Enterprises to The Greg Norman Company last year and changed its shark logo for the first time since Norman’s Reebok days. Norman knows that younger consumers don’t necessarily associate his name with “The Great White Shark,” nor are they particularly tied to golf. But both he and his team are willing to adapt, as the new, sleeker, less ‘90s hyper color shark on his products suggests.
Norman discovered that diversifying his company is perhaps the best way to help it weather the woes of the golf industry. According to the National Golf Foundation, the number of U.S. golf courses has shrunk during the last decade by nearly 800 from its peak of more than 16,000. Though the U.S. still accounts for more than 40% of global golf courses, the NGF says the number of U.S. players dropped from an all-time high of 30 million in 2005 to 24.1 million in 2015. That’s below even the pre-Tiger Woods high of 24.7 in 1995. Norman’s golf course design company acts as an alarm for all of the above, sensing softness in the U.S. and other markets and letting Norman’s company know where to better focus its efforts.

“Because I played golf consistently for 25 to 30 years, globally, my footprint was there,” Norman says. “I was consciously making sure that, hedging against an economic downturn in the United States, I could be in Asia or Australia; or if there was a recession somewhere in Asia, America would pick up. I had the flexibility and the foresight to diversify myself enough by positioning myself on a global front.”
The one thing all that diversification can’t do, however, is insure the brand’s success in his absence. In March, the Greg Norman Company announced a partnership with the brand-development firm Authentic Brands Group (ABG). The firm’s portfolio already includes former athletes Julius Irving and Shaquille O’Neal, but what struck Norman was how ABG was able to increase revenue for the estates of deceased celebrities including Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Muhammad Ali and Michael Jackson with help from retail partners including Nordstrom, Macy’s, Bergdorf Goodman, Saks, Target and Harrod’s.
Not only did ABG lack a golfer, but it lacked a brand with as many categories as Norman’s. After nearly a year of negotiation, Greg Norman companies agreed to a “forever deal” with ABG for the Greg Norman Collection and Norman’s other licensing and endorsement concerns. The ABG deal fit Norman’s 200-year plan, helps create a future for his rebranded company and, perhaps most important, offers it a whole lot of legal protection with a team of 12 lawyers.
“I know what I’ve been through just protecting my trademark in China,” Norman says. “I spent two and a half years fighting this legal battle in China with somebody who used my logo without my permission. I finally won it back, but it cost seven figures in legal fees and two and a half years of angst.”

With another generation teeing off at The Masters this weekend, Norman seems at peace with his legacy both on the course and in business. He’s spent eight years off the course and says he doesn’t feel the need to roam the course at Augusta or go into the clubhouse and shake hands just to drum up business. Sure, it’s the place where he lost his playoff 30 years ago and turned a six-stroke lead into a five-stroke loss in 1996, but it’s also a place he’d return to as a man whose post-career business ventures make his PGA career earnings look like, in his COO’s words, “nothing.” However, Norman is loath to disclose his company’s earnings and notes that the decisions that brought him here — leaving IMG, financing himself, hiring his own people, establishing his brand’s credibility — can be as difficult as Augusta’s Amen Corner on a Sunday.

“I get asked this question a lot, and all I can tell you is that it isn’t an easy path to go down,” Norman says. “It’s all about delivering the quality, finding the space you love to be in and making sure you identify that space, understand what that space is going to give you, execute on the business plan and keep following through.”
“You’re going to have failures, you’re going to have peaks and troughs and its how you come out of your troughs that will make you a better business, a better businessman and a better person going forward.”
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 21, 2019 6:01 PM GMT
TIGER has just announced that he is skipping the Honda Classic

...and instead opting to play at Bay Hill in the Arnold Palmer Invitational and then TPC Sawgrass for The Players.
Report Total Bosman February 23, 2019 9:19 PM GMT
A lot of them have, it's a poor field.  Shame to see such a great track become a victim of the schedule.
Report lewisham ranger February 23, 2019 11:03 PM GMT
if jt not fatigued it's a penalty kick for him.

if he is then berger and interesting shout.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 25, 2019 12:09 AM GMT
Puggy4 • February 19, 2019 4:36 PM GMT. Why do people drag up the 2018 thread when a new 2019 thread already exists, hard to understand. Whoops

lewisham rangerFebruary 25th, 2018 2:16 PM GMT. anyway as of today I'm going to be leaving the forum. there's too many unpleasant people on here that have come out of the woodwork recently. It's not worth it. have a good life everyone. pretty sad that people hide behind forums as a means to mock others. Blush

anxious • February 25, 2018 11:03 PM GMT. When the going gets tough the tough get going

Happy Anniversary Tongue Out Devil
Report lewisham ranger February 25, 2019 8:59 AM GMT
if I didn't exist catch me, you'd have to invent me Wink
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 28, 2019 7:53 PM GMT
Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 28, 2019 7:57 PM GMT
THE HONDA CLASSIC...
“I SEE MY LIGHT COME SHINING, FROM THE WEST COAST TO THE EAST” – as the West Coast bandwagon moves to the East Coast for the four events in the ‘FLORIDA SWING’.
– Tremeloes 1968 - I shall be released - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjtPBjEz-BA

So “say goodbye to Hollywood” in wild & wintry California & Adiós México, and welcome to The Magic Kingdom in the Sunshine State - which brings with it The Honda Classic, Arnie’s Bay Hill, the re-scheduled PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP, and The Valspar in Innisbrook  - ‘yeah, bin dare, dun dat, bought the t-shirt’. Add the TEXAS-TWO-STEP (WGC in Austin & The Shell Houston Open) as all roads lead to The MASTERS in exactly six weeks.

NEW SCHEDULE
Mar 7 - 10     Arnold Palmer Invitational, Bay Hill, FL.
Mar 14 - 17     THE PLAYERS Championship, TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.
Mar 21 - 24     Valspar Championship Innisbrook Resort, (Copperhead), FL.
Mar 27 - 31     WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play, Austin CC, Austin, TX.
Apr 4 - 7     Valero Texas Open TPC, AT&T Oaks, San Antonio, TX.
Apr 11 - 14     Masters Tournament, Augusta National GC, Augusta, GA.

THIS NEW SCHEDULE has had a detrimental impact of the quality of the field here – The lack of depth: 5 of the Top 25 are here (last year 10-of-the-top-25 entered) and only 12 of the top 50 (19-of-the-top-50 last year). NO Rory or Tiger, No Masters champion Patrick Reed; 2011 PGA champion Keegan Bradley; 2010 OPEN Champ Louis Oosthuizen and Ryder Cuppers Fleetwood, Poulter, Rafa or Snedeker are among those who played last year and aren’t playing this year. Phil Mickelson has also played in the past but isn’t here this week.
Basically it’s #3 JT, #4 Brooks, #9Fowler, #21 Simpson, #23 Woodland, #26 Noren, #29 Sergio, #31Scott then a drop.
Fortunate then that Thomas, Koepka and Fowler all live within 10 minutes of the course. This new schedule is also a concern going forward. Clearly, the schedule isn’t going to change next year but 2021 is a very big year for the event because the Honda contract is up after that tournament. Honda is the tour’s longest-standing title sponsor, now in its 38th year.

THE COURSE
We swop Poa annua, multi-course tournaments for one single golf course of Bermuda grass, sand, water and watch out for the odd croc. PGA National Resort and Spa in Palm Beach Gardens (the host course since 2007) is the toughest non-major on a year-to-year basis, the par-70 (35-35) layout was designed by Tom Fazio in 1981 and reworked by Jack Nicklaus Design over the years (2002, 2014 and again in 2018). It plays to 7,125 yards on the scorecard this week and has played to a field average of +1.51 strokes over par since 2010.
Water hazards on 14 holes on this water park with elevated and contoured greens. Ball-striking is the name of the game - if you aren't hitting greens here then you are probably finding a lot of water.
FOUR blow-out holes – the par-4 beast 6th - one of the toughest holes on Tour – the 11th, 15th & 17th - where more than 6% of the golfers since 2012 posted double bogey or worse - #15 & #17 are part of the three-hole stretch known as “The Bear Trap”.
The greens have been expanded (7,000 average square feet now instead of 5,500 in year's past) but have been re-grassed since last year's edition so perhaps there’s subtle changes putting on fresh Tif Eagle Bermuda greens this week. The resurfacing usually means they will be bouncy for a year or two. The rough has been over seeded with ryegrass.

FORECAST - Great for golf - 27°  / 28° warm and sunny, no breeze except maybe Sunday afternoon.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/jupiter-fl/33458/hourly-weather-forecast/337552?hour=81

LIVE RADIO
http://pgatour.cbssports.com/liveaudio/?media=568601
ON AIR NOW: The Honda Classic Live on ESPN 106.3 and the free ESPN app.

The Monday qualifier from Banyan Cay Resort & Golf saw Erik Compton take care of business with a a 7-under-par 32-33=65
Erik, the 39-year-old Miami native is the only professional athlete who is a two-time heart-transplant recipient. Compton along with Drew Nesbitt (-7), secured their spot in the field but seven golfers had to return on Tuesday morning for their 7-for-2 playoff. Those golfers included Steve Marino, Hayden Buckley, Danny Walker, Sangmoon Bae, and Ben Taylor. However, it was Blayne Barber and David Pastore who walked away victorious in that playoff to earn a seat in The Honda Classic field. Of the four qualifiers, Compton was 4th 2013 and Barber 3rd in 2016.

24 ON DEBUT so NO CHANCE (brings the field down to 120 imho)
Cameron Smith Matt Wallace Sung-Jae Im Joaquin Niemann Bill Haas Martin Trainer Brandon Harkins Curtis Luck Nick Taylor  Roger Sloan Wyndham Clark Julian Etulain Lucas Bjerregaard Sebastian Munoz Cameron Davis Hunter Mahan Sepp Straka Hank Lebioda Chase Wright Jim Knous Seth Reeves Austen Truslow Jose de Jesus Rodriguez & Drew Nesbitt
Padraig Harrington will remain side-lined with a wrist injury. Ben Silverman will slide into his slot in the field. Harrington won this event in 2005 (Mirasol CC) as well as here in 2015 (6 under-par). They were played on different courses (CC at Mirasol in 2005 and PGA National in 2015). Sam Ryder removed himself from the field & Jose de Jesus Rodriguez takes his spot. Also Chris Stroud withdrew & Brady Schnell gets his spot in the field.

THE local headlines earlier this week…was Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, charged in Palm Beach County with soliciting of a prostitute, according to Jupiter Police. The charges stem from a month’s long investigation into a massage parlour.
We’ve read several times that there is someone involved in the sex trafficking sting in Jupiter that is a BIGGER NAME than Robert Kraft. So far, we’re up to 3 billionaires including Kraft, but no names that strike me as being more well-known. Rumours of a big black cat maybe involved were circulating. Wonder why would they be holding back on name and shame? (another krafty player could win this week).

2017 Champ, OWRG #9 Rickie Fowler teed off at 6:35pm with defending champ Justin Thomas and Billy Horschel.
A HOME game for the shoulder-height dropper lives down the street in Jupiter. In 2017, he was the 54-hole leader by four and closed in 1-over 71 to win by four. The 30-year-old has five T25s and three T10s, and his scoring average in 30 rounds on the par-70 layout is 69.93. Bet he reminds Justin that he missed the cut last year by two on 7-over 147 (71-76) as defending champion !!!

Justin Thomas looking to repeat his success from last year, won with 8-under 272 gaining 9.5 strokes approaching-the-green through the four rounds and outlasted Luke List in a playoff. If this weren't a home game and if he weren't the defending champ, would he even be here? Not likely. JT opened his career at the Honda Classic with a pair of missed cuts and a T3 sandwiched in between. It's been boom or bust at PGA National. Thomas has been red-hot with the irons leading up to this week, gaining 5.7+ strokes on approach in four of his last five starts which is what is required here.
The Florida Gator and FedEx Cup winner Billy Horschel has a pair of T10’s on this hazard-heavy-Honda layout and always enjoys a return to bermudagrass despite losing strokes putting at this event in six of his seven visits. He gained 5.8 strokes on approach in 2016 (T8) and gained 6.8 strokes on approach in 2017 (T4) and looking at his season results, Horschel has twice eclipsed 20 birdies in a single tournament and he also has a pair of eagles on his resume.

I like Russell Henley this week – he will be glad to get back on bermudagrass. The past champion and Georgia Bulldog finished T13 in hi 2013 Honda Classic debut, proving to be a quick learner. He returned in 2014 and did even better, winning the event over Rory McIlroy, Russell Knox, and Ryan Palmer, in a playoff. Henley is generally outspoken about his love for Bermuda greens and he's gained strokes putting in four of his six visits to PGA National's Champion Course. The Kiawah Island 29yo has just one T25 over his last 13 starts is back on the radar, now that the TOUR has returned to the Southeast.
Better to be true to yourself and walk your own path than to follow fools just because they outnumber you.

Honestly, one could wait for the final 4 holes on Sunday night before having a bet as ‘The Bear Trap’ (holes 15-17) is the most famous stretch of holes on the Florida Swing. As we seen in the last few, strange things happen in golf! Just ask Rory McIlroy, who freely admits to having thrown this tournament away in 20.14. Remember too, that lots of BIG names miss the cut every year here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjtPBjEz-BA
…..I see my light come shining, From the west down to the east, Any day now, any way now, I shall be released.

© CM iyc Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 28, 2019 10:35 PM GMT
NO WAY BACK for these boys.....   
Aphibarnrat, Kiradech +5                           
Mahan, Hunter +5                               
Steele, Brendan +5                                
Streb, Robert +5                                
Uihlein, Peter +5*                                
Filbert, Andrew +5                                
Harman, Brian +6                                
Hughes, Mackenzie +6                                
Kraft, Kelly +6                                
Schnell, Brady +6                                
Gribble, Cody +7                               
Noren, Alexander +7*                                
Pampling, Rod +7                                
Harkins, Brandon +8*                                
Cejka, Alex DQ
Report jedi sophie February 28, 2019 10:40 PM GMT
Nice finish Ricky n JT.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2019 7:55 PM GMT
Remember too, that lots of BIG names miss the cut every year here.

BYE BYE JUSTIN, go watch it on TV down the street (or take a w/end trip to Augusta) Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2019 7:57 PM GMT
Woodland, Gmac and Streelman in that danger zone too
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2019 8:30 PM GMT
73 players at +1 atm
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2019 8:45 PM GMT
Peter Uihlein who lives in Jupiter - withdrew after 9 in Rd2 - expecting better from him this year Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2019 8:46 PM GMT
Scott-Els-Aphibarnrat.....Koepka-Woodland-Vegas - featured groups at Honda
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2019 8:48 PM GMT
Uihlein - nagging back injury again
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2019 8:58 PM GMT
25yo Canadian Adam Svensson vaulted more than 70 spots up the leaderboard, with a 6-under-par 64 (currently T7) after his 72 yesterday.
He attended University in Miami Shores and has plenty of fond memories at PGA National where he won the 2013 & 2014 Guy Harvey Invitationals while in school and then lapped the field at the 2015 Web.com Tour Q-School when it was hosted here - gained 2.762 strokes around-the-green and another 3.318 strokes putting. Making his tournament debut this week so I predict 'close, but no cigar' Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 1, 2019 9:05 PM GMT
BET Ireland's Seamus Power can't wait to get off the course - birdie on 17th the ONLY bright spark all day (had a double there yesterday
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 2, 2019 12:36 AM GMT
A total of 83 players from a field of 144 made the cut of 2-over 142, 17 T67 on the number, so a second cut of low 70 and ties will take place after 54 holes.
Adam Scott missed the cut by one swing - other notable early exits include: 145- Frittelli; Piercy .. 146- List; Kizzire; Walker .. 147- Cameron Smith; Grillo .. 148- Mahan .. 149- Noren .. & 150- Aphibarnrat.
Justin Thomas, Woodland, Gmac and Steelman had earlier flirted with the cut line at +2, but just survive another day, at least for now
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 2, 2019 1:04 AM GMT
It’s often hard to play catch-up on tough courses and that theory fits at PGA National. The key is to get your name on the leaderboard early and hold on. 4-of-the-last-5 winners were already in the top five after Rd1, and 8-of-the-last-11 were in the top eight after Rd1.
This is the 12th Classic at this venue and a definite pattern has emerged – it matters to be in-contention at the halfway stage - Thomas was tied 7th at this stage on his way to victory last year and that’s as far back as any of the 12 winners has been (by position). Only one of the 12 winners wasn’t within three swings of top spot at this stage (Ernie Els, five shots, 2008).
While being in-contention is imperative, yet the record of the halfway leaders is not so great. Harrington is alone in winning in the last five years, and in the last 12 years only Villegas (2010) and YE Yang (2009) joined him. In all [i]17 players have held or shared the 36-hole lead, and only 5 of them broke par on Moving Day ![/i] Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 2, 2019 1:20 AM GMT
"3-of-the-last-4 Champions at PGA National are Major winners" - Justin, Scott & Padraig.
Tindall-therefore-thinks-dat - Lucas, Koepka, Garcia, Schwartzel have the best chance - while Zach is four back & Ernie 5 back (again) (+2008 Honda winner) may have too much to do from here.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 9:28 PM GMT
A former MAJOR-Winner-WINS ????? - Brooks, VJ, Lucas... (hard luck to Furyk and Sergio btw).
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 9:32 PM GMT
Old man Vijay gets to -7and is tied for the lead ! incredible scenes !
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 9:33 PM GMT
Gloves also gets to -7  (its been almost 10 years since his last win at the US Open)
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 9:42 PM GMT
KH LEE - these South Koreans can be tricky fish - 7's not to be sniffed at Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 10:13 PM GMT
FOWLER knows what it takes to WIN here - 40's now! - big bet tiaDevil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 10:18 PM GMT
Wink
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 10:25 PM GMT
HOLD UP on 17th tee all day
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 10:43 PM GMT
Honestly, one could wait for the final 4 holes on Sunday night before having a bet as ‘The Bear Trap’ (holes 15-17) is the most famous stretch of holes on the Florida Swing.

Tks RICKIE - a sea of green Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 10:45 PM GMT
Excited
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 11:40 PM GMT
Catch Me ifyoucan • March 3, 2019 9:28 PM GMT
A former MAJOR-Winner-WINS ????? - Brooks, VJ, Lucas... (hard luck to Furyk and Sergio btw).

Perhaps a little 'reverse psychology' is in order...
A FUTURE MAJOR-Winner-WINS ?????

Since Corey Pavin back won in 1992 (at Weston Hills Golf and CC - ben dare, dun dat - great course btw), a total of fourteen other MAJOR winners have followed suit here, with Couples (1993), Price (1994), O'Meara (1995) and Calcavecchia (1998) & VJ Singh (1999) then Justin Leonard (2003), Tod Hamilton (2004), our own Padraig (twice - 2005 & 2015), Ernie in 2008, Yang (2009), RORY ('12), Scott (2016), Justin Thomas last year - That's 15 (multiple) Major Winners (in 28 events) - one every other year (fwiw, it may only be a coincidence that lots of them won the OPEN).

BETFAIR, please add 27yo Keith MITCHELL to your 51 selections for the OPEN Championship betting - The Georgia Bulldog is a member of the Sea Island Mafia so perhaps 'The Masters test' may suit as well Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 3, 2019 11:45 PM GMT
Fortunate then that Thomas, Koepka and Fowler all live within 10 minutes of the course. This new schedule is also a concern going forward. Clearly, the schedule isn’t going to change next year but 2021 is a very big year for the event because the Honda contract is up after that tournament. Honda is the tour’s longest-standing title sponsor, now in its 38th year.

Hope the other neighbours were watching Wink …... IT'S TOO GOOD A TOURNAMENT TO BE LOST TO SCHEDULING ! Devil
Report fullback March 4, 2019 9:20 PM GMT
Mitchell was a great bet @ 10s on the 1st tee yesterday.
Koepka's putter gone cold
Ricky is only a showman but did produce a great birdie on 19 to go -8
VEEEEEEEEEEEE Jaaaaaaaaaaaa........got his usual dose of the brown adrenalin on the 17th tee or was it the 15th?
K Hoon Lee is worth watching.......a flyer cost him the shot that might just have kept his hopes alive.

That bear tarp is a bollix apart from radar's brutal attempt at returning to his roots.........groooowl
Mitchell is here to stay and will win again this year.
Report fullback March 4, 2019 9:21 PM GMT
Birdie on 18 even
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 5, 2019 2:39 PM GMT
The oldest player in PGA TOUR history to win is Sam Snead at 52 years, 10 months, 8 days old (1965 in Greensboro).
Vijay Singh was 56 years, 10 days old (and was only 1 shot back, during the back nine Sunday)... a bogey 4 on the Bear Trap's 17th, finished him in 6th place.

I see one of the neighbours 'strained his neck' watching the golf.....ha..fcukin..ha Devil

"Unfortunately due to a neck strain that I’ve had for a few weeks, I'm forced to withdraw from the API. I’ve been receiving treatment, but it hasn't improved enough to play. My lower back is fine, and I have no long-term concerns, and I hope to be ready for The Players."
@layheywho replying to @TigerWoods - I know of a great massage place in Jupiter. (Orchids of Asia (Day Spa) in Jupiter. Ask for the Krafty. You’ll be fine by Thursday).

Don't think this story has a 'happy ending' Devil
Report Total Bosman March 5, 2019 3:22 PM GMT
Mm, joking aside when the stories were coming out about the prostitution ring in Jupiter and that Kraft was far from the biggest name caught, the mind went to one name, and now he's out with a mystery injury.  Mind you, half the world's top golfers live nearby, not to mention the president hangs out just down the road, so could be anyone.

I do hope not though, if the reports are true that the girls working there were "involuntary" then it's a far bigger deal than just a cheeky rub and tug and anyone caught using them is in a fair bit of trouble.  We've only just got Tiger back.
Report therhino March 5, 2019 11:23 PM GMT
Kraft not necessarily well known internationally but is a giant in America. If the report about a bigger name being implicated is true, none of the golfers qualify, with the exception of Tiger. Only others who live local who would qualify would be Trump and Michael Jordan. Jordan has some form in this area and Trump, well. Still, Tiger the fave. I'd be a backer at 1.9 Devil
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com