Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
everton1978
08 Jan 18 18:34
| Topic/replies: 648 | Blogger: everton1978's blog
how many would DJ win by? Last night was a sharp reminder of just how amazing he was last year before injury struck. With his calmness and maturity seemingly ever increasing he is reminding me of Tiger more and more. Not that Tiger was particularly calm or mature, I mean more in the fact that he’s capable of beating the opposition up on the course and he’s feared by many before a ball is struck. A clear run this year could see a very special season indeed imo
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View if every tour player turned up and...
Show More
Report Knight Rider January 12, 2018 5:20 PM GMT
I think it's easy to get carried away by these things.  DJ is obviously a great player but there are plenty of them now that can look amazing on a week where everything clicks.  Spieth for example also won by 8 strokes on the same course, at the age of 22!

A few years ago Rory was the only one with that sort of upside but I think nowadays you could say that any of DJ, Rory, Spieth, Rahm, Thomas, Hideki or Day are capable of destroying a field on their day.  And maybe Tiger of course! It's a great era to be a golf fan.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 January 12, 2018 6:36 PM GMT
Agree with Knight Rider, in every season there are events where a particular player clicks and runs away from the field and wins handsomely not always the top guys as well.

DJ was superb last week but it in addition to his good play it was a course that suited his strengths and the conditions probably assisted him as much as anyone. If every tour player turned up and played their best over the same four days the winner would be determined by three factors for me - the course - how it was set up and whose game  it suited, the weather and probably most crucially who putted the best.

The question for me isn't who is best if they all play to their best but rather which player can play to their best most consistently. At the moment as the world rankings show its DJ but twelve to eighteen months ago Jason Day looked like that guy. 2 years ago Jordan Spieth was the man before that Rory had a spell. At the end of 2016 start of 2017 Hideki had a purple patch. Justin Thomas finished last season on fire. Then Justin Rose had a nice few weeks before christmas.

Most pros make 80% of their earning in 4 or 5 events often in a good sequence of successive weeks. The top 10 - 20 will always be capable of having a purple patch when they do they often win sustaining it is the key and it is the guy who does who gets to dominate an era.
Report donny osmond January 12, 2018 7:56 PM GMT
spieth would win for me because playing his best he hits greens, then hes the best putter
and holes from anywhere
Report donny osmond January 12, 2018 7:57 PM GMT
but if two went head to head with pressure on, tiger would likely win,

not that i expect him to regain his best form, but, if he did, as in thread title.
Report lewisham ranger January 13, 2018 12:37 AM GMT
how many would DJ win by?

but dj not nearly as dominant on tracks like they are playing this week, it's true that when they play on tracks like they did last week that are set up for bombers and he's on top form he's very hard to beat, cus he can just let it rip and doesn't have to worry about accuracy. he resembled a run-away truck in the sentry tournament.

but a lot of these players capable of playing very special golf. people just have short memories. like spieth in 2015, and mcilory and how impressive he was when he won his majors, thomas last season, fowler when he's on shot 11 under recently, hideki, and so on. would be great to see some of these guys playing at their absolute best going head to head.

also i wonder about some of these bombers and whether they are on something, the distance they are ripping the ball now is just ridiculous.
Report therhino January 13, 2018 6:37 AM GMT
DJ doesn't often play tracks like this week. Regularly skips Waialae, Harbour Town, Innisbrook etc. One he did play last year was Mexico, which he won to many peoples surprise (me included).

Applying the question as to who wins at their best without too much analysis like what course and the like, it's most likely Rory for me. Only current player of the current top dogs who has blown away fields in majors which is telling. After that DJ and JD but I think Day's best is better, he has the best combo of long game, short game and putting when on song. Just a shame about how injury prone he is and the all round bad luck he seems to have.
Report lewisham ranger January 13, 2018 11:43 AM GMT
Only current player of the current top dogs who has blown away fields in majors which is telling.

yes good point. Also think about Wells fargo 2016. Rory shot 11 under on the saturday, played amazing golf, when he putts well he also looks unbeatable. I think also they hype about DJ also has to be set against the fact he's 33 and has only won one major. Tiger had, 14 at the same age?

I guess DJ is a good bet to add to his majors over the next few years but the difference between him and Woods mentally is vast.

Was also interesting listening to Jim "Bones" Mckay last night on the commentary, Mickleson's old caddie. They were asking him about what it was like to caddy for Justin Thomas. Obviously he's not going to say he was rubbish but the amount of praise he was heaping on him was worth listening to. Said he was "blown away" by Thomas's ability level. Which is quite something when you think he bagged for one of the all time great for however many years.
Report donny osmond January 13, 2018 12:22 PM GMT
i doubt jt will produce as many miracle saves as phil, but its not surprising , imo, bones
would be impressed by jt.

rory announcing his heart problem doesnt bode too well, i hope he gets it resolved, or
can manage it so as to not adversely affect his career .
Report Knight Rider January 14, 2018 10:40 PM GMT
Don't want to knock Rory as he's clearly a fantastic player but it's worth bearing in mind how much the golfing landscape has changed since he was blowing away major fields.  For example when he won the 2011 US Open the world top 10 was as follows:

1. Luke Donald
2. Lee Westwood
3. Martin Kaymer
4. Rory McIlroy
5. Steve Stricker
6. Phil Mickelson
7. Matt Kuchar
8. Graeme McDowell
9. Jason Day
10. Charl Schwartzel

I'm sure Rory is good enough to win at least one more but he was fortunate to take advantage of the few years between the Tiger era and this new era of the youngsters who grew up watching Tiger.  Anyone who racks up more than 2-3 in the next decade will have done seriously well.
Report lewisham ranger January 15, 2018 10:16 AM GMT
Don't want to knock Rory as he's clearly a fantastic player but it's worth bearing in mind how much the golfing landscape has changed since he was blowing away major fields.

when he won his us open by eight shots the runner up was jason day, who only about 18 months ago was considered easily the best player in the world

when he won his open the runners up were sergio garcia and rickie fowler, two players still very much at the top of the game

and it's not like DJ wasn't around when rory was winning his majors

I'm sure if Rory can get to his best then he doesn't have that much to worry about- just that over the last two years or so his form has been poor
Report therhino January 15, 2018 10:31 AM GMT
I see what you are saying KR. Rory just passes the 'eye test' better than the rest for me. Poetry in motion in full flight, beautiful to watch. Shows how much we can be persuaded by a perfect swing and as gamblers by betting - no one moves markets like Rory aside from Tiger. He has never put together a sustained stretch like DJ the last 18 months or Day prior, but I still think if they were all at their best he is the one I'm backing.

Whose best do you think is best?
Report Knight Rider January 15, 2018 5:00 PM GMT
It's a boring answer but I think MW was right, it really depends on the course setup and conditions.  Spieth is probably the most impressive for me overall because he can do it on a variety of courses, whereas with DJ or Rory you are obviously looking at somewhere they can hit 14 monstrous drives.

Put it this way, if every player in the world turns up with their A game for the 4 majors this year (Augusta, Shinnecock, Carnoustie, Bellerive) I'd fancy Spieth to win most.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now