Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mighty Whites 2008
30 Oct 17 22:04
| Topic/replies: 13,976 | Blogger: Mighty Whites 2008's blog
The greatest show on the golfing planet will be returning to competitive action at the hero world challenge at the end of November.

Lets hope for a pain free return!
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Tiger announces his comeback
Show More
Report xmoneyx October 30, 2017 9:06 PM GMT
Love
Report jedi sophie October 30, 2017 9:15 PM GMT
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!Please come back Tiger,sort this choking mess of a top ten right out!
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 30, 2017 9:52 PM GMT
The 1000's of PAUL CASEY fans on here will also be static that HE's BACK on the EUROPEAN Tour - plays Abu Dhabi in January.
Report Facts October 31, 2017 2:57 AM GMT
Woods has had his day.
Report therhino October 31, 2017 10:07 AM GMT
Some turnaround. A month ago he was saying he may never play again. Hard to get excited about this given all the false starts and you do have to wonder how legitimate this all this. Fingers crossed, would love nothing more than to see him walk up 18 at Augusta saluting the crowd as he gets ready to don green jacket no 5. I fear being driven off the 2nd hole at Torrey Pines on a Thursday grimacing and holding his lower back is far more likely.
Report frames October 31, 2017 10:31 AM GMT
Dragging out the sponsorship deals.Finished.He might just about out drive Player early on Thursday at Augusta.
Report donny osmond October 31, 2017 4:57 PM GMT
best chance of a win might be a pro am with one of them macmanus boys
Report donny osmond October 31, 2017 4:58 PM GMT
good luck to him all the same, and i hope the injuries dont return.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 October 31, 2017 8:01 PM GMT
I think Tiger has been understating his progress Rhino with his media comments at the presidents cup. There is a fair chance that his latest surgery will have been more successful than the previous ones. The fusion surgery has the potential to solve the problem. Trevino had a similar operation in his 60s and said he couldn't believe how good he felt after it.

If and it is a huge if Tiger gets back to a physical state that he can play and practice on a regular basis then there is a possibility he can comeback successfully and certainly play events going forwards. Whether he can compete is a different matter, the long game shouldn't be a big problem. None of the current crop come close to his ball striking abilities. Tiger still holds the record for shots gained tee to green (2013 - he was the previous holder of this record) and despite the hype of the current crop none have come close. The bigger question will be about his short game especially his chipping.

Coming back in the Bahamas is a very gentle return at a place he knows well. Hopefully he will get four days pain free and can then consider a schedule going forward. Hopefully he will ditch torrey pines for say the waste management and not bother with a trip to the middle east taking it easy playing four or five events in the run up to Augusta.

If he comes back physically fit with a manageable short game then he will be competitive on tour. There are a lot of ifs and buts but he is Tiger Woods!
Report lewisham ranger October 31, 2017 8:10 PM GMT
think tiger will bag a major in 2018.
Report jedi sophie October 31, 2017 9:58 PM GMT
Just look at the PGA Tour winners in the last year.....
Some absolute diddies winning tournaments,look at the world number 1 at the weekend FFS.....

Prey he gets back and fit because if he does the overhyped overrated better look out,couldnt lace up the great mans shoes!
Report kincsem November 1, 2017 1:36 AM GMT
Tiger will be 42 in a few weeks.
If he was coming back fit and with tournament practice you would give him a chance.
Age, health, match fitness all negatives.
Report therhino November 1, 2017 5:40 AM GMT

Oct 31, 2017 -- 3:10PM, lewisham ranger wrote:

Based on what exactly?

Report therhino November 1, 2017 5:42 AM GMT
Diddies have always won tourneys Jedi. Some absolute nobodies won big events even in the Tiger era. That's golf.
Report mighty November 1, 2017 9:49 AM GMT
Lol, Donny

re irish mob.
Report firstimevisor November 1, 2017 10:16 AM GMT
The big question is Can he get back to full fitness? Its a big if but if he does then surely he's not too old at 42 to contend at the top.

Mickleson is 4-5 years older, has never had Tiger's physical fitness levels,lived in Tiger's shadow during his prime playing years, yet is still a force at the top level.

Players like Scott, Bubba, Garcia, Rose, Stenson couldn't hold a candle to Tiger in their prime and they are still more than capable of holding their own in the majors these days.

The current crop of so-called superstars are anything but. McIlroy has a great game but mentally is ridiculously frail. Jason Day is a wimp.Fowler -your havin a laugh. Dustin is 33,wins plenty but implodes regularly. Thomas is the new flavour of the month. Spieth could be the real deal but time will tell. None of them are anywhere nearly consistent enough - one good month every year and go missing thereafter.Tiger was at a different level completely to this lot. Turned up for every tournament all year round ready to win and with the bookies betting without him. If he gets back to full fitness he'll get back to the top for a few more years.
Report Facts November 1, 2017 1:59 PM GMT
^ Spieth and Thomas are the 'real deal ' . Young,incredibly talented, disciplined in their game and long,mid,short game comes all the same.
Woods hasn't got a chance against such players. Too old, unfit and wrong temperament.
Report jedi sophie November 1, 2017 2:15 PM GMT
Wrong temperament! TIGER WOODS?  LaughLaughLaugh
Report firstimevisor November 1, 2017 2:23 PM GMT
We'll see. But we heard the same said about Mcilroy, Day and Fowler too. Thomas has just joined the party. Yes he's had one good year but there's always someone who does.When he repeats what he did this year another 10 times then you can compare him to Tiger, because when Tiger was healthy he would have been disappointed with a year like that.
As for Tiger having the wrong temperament, I'm assuming you are just being ironic.
Report jedi sophie November 1, 2017 2:35 PM GMT
They wont get the same amount of Majors between them that Tiger has IMHO!!

As FTV says lets see Spieth and Thomas continuing the levels they have shown in patches over a decade or so. Rory hasnt managed it,multiple Majors though, Day managed 1 year,1 Major. DJ been at top winning tourneys consistently but hardly dominant...1 Major.

Time at top for me will shorten even more so than Tiger and co, due to there fitness regimes there swings and new talent.
Report donny osmond November 1, 2017 3:43 PM GMT
rory is 20th in the all time list with 4 majors

historically golfers dont win many, watson won 8, and never won a uspga
and he sits 6th alltime on the list.

tiger with 14 and jack with 18 are really outstanding in the modern era

compare with tennis where we have fed 19, nadal 15, and djok 12 all in the same era
and all top 4 of all time
Report lewisham ranger November 1, 2017 6:38 PM GMT
therhino 01 Nov 17 05:40 Joined: 12 Jul 10 | Topic/replies: 15,926 | Blogger: therhino's blog
Oct 31, 2017 -- 8:10PM, lewisham ranger wrote:

Based on what exactly?

because it's tiger Cool
Report Mighty Whites 2008 November 2, 2017 12:19 AM GMT

Facts    Joined: 05 May 03
Replies: 25477 01 Nov 17 13:59 
^ Spieth and Thomas are the 'real deal ' . Young,incredibly talented, disciplined in their game and long,mid,short game comes all the same.
Woods hasn't got a chance against such players. Too old, unfit and wrong temperament.

Time will tell Thomas is the current flavour of the month this year he has had a good season winning five with ten top tens but missing six cuts

In comparison Tiger has had 12 years where he has won five or more sometime significantly more. He has had 14 years with more than ten top tens often significantly more.

Spieth or Thomas may go on to become great players and the real deal but I am not convinced either will match Phil or Vijay for tour wins and they did with Tiger in his prime.

It took tiger from 1998 - 2011 to miss six cuts, apart from 2015 with his injuries he has never missed more than 2 cuts in a year and he has only missed 2 cuts in a season four years and in one of them he was an amateur.
Report donny osmond November 2, 2017 10:34 AM GMT
it really is quite surprising given his dominance that he only won 14 majors.

some of these courses that were tigerproofed, may well have cost him quite a few majors,
Report donny osmond November 2, 2017 10:40 AM GMT
he was 14 from 55 up to and inc 2011 masters in majors ...1 in 4

and 16 from 32 in wgc in same era...1 in 2
Report Mighty Whites 2008 November 2, 2017 8:01 PM GMT
If you take the period from 97 when he turned pro to 2008 when he injured his knee and leg the record is more impressive

14 wins from 46, plus 5 seconds and 3 thirds.

Whether someone will come along who can dominant like that again is questionable. The only comparison really is Nicklaus who had the advantage of longevity over Tiger.

At 32 he had 14 majors with his arguably his most productive decade ahead.
Report firstimevisor November 2, 2017 9:20 PM GMT
And there's also the WGC events, open to the world's top 64,and the nearest we get to the majors.

They were started in 1999 and up until 2008 Tiger had won 16 of the 29 events played. That's dominance
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2017 11:10 PM GMT
Catch Me ifyoucan • April 9, 2014 11:03 PM BST
Phil Mickelson's record at the Masters is an enviable one. Not only has he won the Green Jacket three times, the affable lefthander has placed third on five occasions and posted 14 top-10 finishes in 20 starts as a pro.

Here are some of the best nuggets in a wide-ranging interview session last Monday in the Press tent.

On the absence of Tiger Woods: "He's been such a mainstay in professional golf and in the majors. It's awkward to not have him here. ... I hope he's back for the other majors, and as much as I want to win and I know how great he is and tough to beat, it also makes it special when he's in the field and you're able to win."

On Woods' impact on the game: "I remember when I was an amateur and won my first tournament in Tucson, in 1991, the entire purse was a million dollars, first place $180,000, and Steve (Loy, his coach and now agent) and I would sit down and say, I wonder if in my lifetime, probably not my career, we would ever play for a million dollar first place check. It's every week (now). ... And Tiger has been the instigator.

"He's been the one that's really propelled and driven the bus because he's brought increased ratings, increased sponsors, increased interest, and we have all benefitted but nobody has benefitted more than I have and we're all appreciative. That's why we miss him so much; we all know what he's meant to the game."
Report ian merseyside November 6, 2017 4:36 PM GMT
I would love to see Tiger back, fit and winning again.  He's definitely not too old and mentally will still be the best out there.  The thing that worries me is he still hits at the ball far too hard which would put pressure on a perfectly fit back, never mind one that has had multiple operations.  He needs to learn how to swing "easier", a bit like John Daly or Jon Rahm, to minimise the effects on his back.  It's probably not going to happen but I reckon if he teamed up again with Butch Harmon then Tiger could get back to the top.
Report lewisham ranger November 6, 2017 5:28 PM GMT
mentally will still be the best out there.

I have to disagree with this. As you get older, and TIger is considerably older now, you get much more mentally flakier than you were in your prime.

Hence a lot more missed putts under pressure than Tiger made in his glory years and also he's developed the chipping yips as well.
Report lewisham ranger November 27, 2017 9:37 PM GMT
call me crazy but getting sucked in by all the positive thoughts and half fancy tiger to come back with a win this week Scared
Report lewisham ranger November 27, 2017 9:37 PM GMT
positive reports even
Report drive for show putt for dough November 27, 2017 11:16 PM GMT
if he plays 72 pain free that would be a win! Small steps
Report lewisham ranger November 28, 2017 7:40 AM GMT
don't think tiger sees it that way, he wants to win every competition he plays in, regardless of whether he's coming off a big lay-off or not- part of the reason why he was so successful.
Report jedi sophie November 28, 2017 7:59 PM GMT
Chappell and Molinari a bigger price only.....pile in Ranger, then retire......
Report aberdonia November 29, 2017 8:50 AM GMT
Thomas price in Woods 2 ball is buying money.
Report therhino November 29, 2017 11:10 AM GMT
The two years at Albany thus far have been won by in-form big hitters. JT, DJ, Koepka. Take your pick imo, not sure what DJs meltdown at Sheshan would have done to the psyche and for whatever reason Brooks just doesn't speak to me. JT it is. Great price on here. I see no logical reason for him not be a standalone fave - form in the tropics another tick.
Report therhino November 29, 2017 11:10 AM GMT

Nov 27, 2017 -- 3:37PM, lewisham ranger wrote:

call me crazy but getting sucked in by all the positive thoughts and half fancy tiger to come back with a win this week

You're crazy.

Report lewisham ranger November 29, 2017 9:07 PM GMT
stranger things have happened. Only 18 players! got 50 on at 50-1.
Report drive for show putt for dough November 29, 2017 9:37 PM GMT
aberdonia    Joined: 18 Oct 08
Replies: 12825 29 Nov 17 08:50 
Thomas price in Woods 2 ball is buying money.

Rather you than me buying free on a 2ball at 1.53. In a 2 ball anything can happen over 18 holes. The mood music around Tiger is positive, seems healthy, good distance off the tee apparently shot 3 or 4 under today in the pro am missing only one fairway. In similar circumstances last year Tiger made 20 birdies around a track he knows he well. Suspect Thomas will be better over the four days but over 18 holes anything can happen. Tiger wouldn't necessarily need to play well to beat JT over 18
Report saxon farm November 29, 2017 11:40 PM GMT
50/1 is generous. I hope he is physically fit.  Last seen the bloke could not chip. Once you’ve had the yips you’ve got em.
Report lewisham ranger November 30, 2017 8:09 PM GMT
if tiger continues like this his 2018 major odds will tumble.
Report lewisham ranger November 30, 2017 11:15 PM GMT
tiger was excellent today bar some chipping yips.

I think what came across in the interview afterwards was how clear headed he is. Just approaches everything with simplicity and confidence. there's very little baggage there which there seems to be with some players.

To me that's an insight into what made him so mentally strong all those years, that interview after his round today. just a real great golf mind and competitors instinct. with huge amounts of raw belief. I think he can go very close to winning this tournament.
Report aberdonia December 1, 2017 10:57 AM GMT
Amazingly ladbrokes laid me a bet in a shop this morning (1st time ive been in a shop to place a bet in at least 5 years), i have been in to read the paper.

they gave me a £1500 at evens & £1000 at 10/11 on Stenson to beat Woods.
Report jedi sophie December 1, 2017 1:37 PM GMT
Why wouldn't they??
Report aberdonia December 1, 2017 1:50 PM GMT
why wouldnt they.

i tried to get 3500 on curtis luck to beat herbert at 10/11 online and in shop.

was offered 300 online and 110 in shop.

amazed if you are able to get on with ladbrokes.

i have only had 5 bets online with ladbrokes and with 4 they have restricted the stake.

they were just as bad in the 80s to be honest.

Hills on the other hand always took your bet in those good old days.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 December 1, 2017 5:16 PM GMT
Interesting punt Aberdonia, Stenson wasn;t great yesterday 2 over at one point until a late rally with the chip in eagle. Stenson has also had a rib injury.

Tiger on the other hand was impressive yesterday baring an errant tee shot and a couple of duff chips. 3 under with two 6s!

Id have given you better odds on here if you had asked!
Report Total Bosman December 1, 2017 5:33 PM GMT
Trying not to get excited til he's through 72 holes without any obvious pain.  But this way beyond any expectations.
Report jedi sophie December 1, 2017 5:40 PM GMT
Stick it to them Tiger, prove the doubters wrong........

Let the choking begin come Sunday with the great man up there.......

Must watch if so. Come on..
Report jedi sophie December 1, 2017 5:45 PM GMT
Aberdonia

My point wasn't in relation to Ladbrokes, rather like another poster said I would've happily given you bigger.

Henrik only there for the holiday imo,more banged up than Tiger too....less fresh and determined in to bargain.

Any bookie worth a jot takes that bet, and gets out easily considering the coverage of event......
Report Mighty Whites 2008 December 1, 2017 6:36 PM GMT
Rather impressive from Tiger today thus far.

For all those who have spent months saying he couldn't live withe current crop, he wouldn't have won as much had he played in this era etc just take a look at this event thus far - and this is his first start in 300+ days
Report lewisham ranger December 1, 2017 6:43 PM GMT
did try and warn y'all.
Report Super Hans December 1, 2017 6:43 PM GMT
What was his best price pre-off?
Report jedi sophie December 1, 2017 6:49 PM GMT
This is sensational, never thought see him hit a wood like he did on par 5...striped it,putt holed, keep it going big fella,let's see if all these meant it when said wanted Tiger back.....lol.
Report jedi sophie December 1, 2017 6:50 PM GMT
This is sensational, never thought see him hit a wood like he did on par 5...striped it,putt holed, keep it going big fella,let's see if all these meant it when said wanted Tiger back.....lol.
Report firstimevisor December 1, 2017 7:06 PM GMT
Just incredible. In reality its about 3 years since he's played any meaningful injury-free competition. Doesn't matter if he finishes this tournament 10 over - he's shown enough already to show he's going to be a serious force again next year if his back stays right. A remarkable man. A true living legend.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 December 1, 2017 7:08 PM GMT
lewisham you are one of the worst on here for saying the current crop are amazing a far to superior to those who played in tigers pomp, that Tiger wouldn't win as much had they been around.

Impressed with the driving put the putting has impressed me the most, when he was at his best it was ultimately his putting that often made the difference.

Super Hans been matched as high as 90, 22k traded between 46 and 55
Report Super Hans December 1, 2017 7:12 PM GMT
Cheers MW.
Thought he would have been bigger.
Report jedi sophie December 1, 2017 7:16 PM GMT
Lr loves a contradiction.
Report lewisham ranger December 1, 2017 7:30 PM GMT
not as much as you love an aftertime Wink
Report lewisham ranger December 1, 2017 7:34 PM GMT
Mighty Whites 2008 01 Dec 17 19:08 Joined: 27 May 06 | Topic/replies: 13,687 | Blogger: Mighty Whites 2008's blog
lewisham you are one of the worst on here for saying the current crop are amazing a far to superior to those who played in tigers pomp, that Tiger wouldn't win as much had they been around.

i just said he was great value at 50-1, which is was. and i didn't aftertime which jedi does on almost every tournament, i put it up beforehand

my point is the standard is higher now, go back 15 years and woods would have been 5 shots clear at this point with ernie els/vijay/monty a distant second, now spieth/reed/thomas/johnson/fleetwood all chasing hard.
Report terry mccann December 2, 2017 9:42 AM GMT
how with all this talk about robots(so lifelike you can even **** em) how can we be sure that was the real thing?Wink
Report jedi sophie December 2, 2017 1:42 PM GMT
Lr,was actually being polite to you, shouldn't have bothered, you're the biggest bell end on this forum.....
Report jedi sophie December 2, 2017 1:50 PM GMT
And I believe we went down this road before of you labelling myself an aftertimer.

Proved you an imposter then and you disappeared after suggesting you were being bullied, lol. happy to do so again if you wish.

Cheerleader.
Report THEMONEYSHOT December 2, 2017 2:07 PM GMT
Are we still friends jedi ? Christmas, time of goodwill etc, etc.
Report jedi sophie December 2, 2017 2:24 PM GMT
Thought you were actually OR Moneyshout....

Certainly spout on similar lines.
Report jedi sophie December 2, 2017 2:25 PM GMT
LR even, bloody tablets.
Report THEMONEYSHOT December 2, 2017 2:30 PM GMT
LaughGrinHappyConfusedShockedPlainSad
Report jedi sophie December 2, 2017 2:56 PM GMT
Not like you to be lost for words Money.....
Report THEMONEYSHOT December 2, 2017 3:05 PM GMT
"Moneyshout", not sure if that was a freudian slip jedi, but that's pretty good for you !
Report Total Bosman December 2, 2017 7:17 PM GMT
This is a bit more what we were expecting, not coping well with a tougher day.  Should still beat Brooks mind you.
Report Facts December 2, 2017 8:11 PM GMT
Sky covering every shot of Woods, inter spaced with his excerpts from his playing history, and childhood memories.
The guy is playing awful, he's -2 , others are -10 and getting a quarter of coverage.
Utterly pathetic love fest on Woods !!
Report Total Bosman December 3, 2017 7:24 PM GMT
Think this has been a remarkable comeback.  The big thing is there are no glaring issues in the game, just a bit of rust.  If he stays healthy and everything improves as you'd expect over the next 6 months can definitely be back contending and winning, and I didn't think we'd ever see that again.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 3, 2017 8:24 PM GMT
HIS DOCTOR will be a very wealth man (if he's not already).....putting "TIGER's back" on your CV Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now