Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lewisham ranger
19 May 17 09:01
| Topic/replies: 2,087 | Blogger: lewisham ranger's blog
He changes from a blade putter to a larger mallet

I can't help feel that's because he's not comfortable over the shorter putts. Maybe he feels that this new putter will add stability, and help with alignment, but is it not true that the bigger the putter the more you lose that feel and possibly that brilliance? It also seems like it's a knee-jerk reaction to a loss of confidence and form

I think one of the great things about golf was watching spiffy draining those 30 foot putts with his classical blade. if he of all people is going down the huge putter head route, I for one find that depressing. Sad
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Spieth changes putter
Show More
Report mr meagi May 19, 2017 9:15 AM BST
Harrington changing the swing that won him majors, comes to mind. I agree with you LR. I honestly think that the Spieth/Caddy relationship is the problem. I feel like they might be friends but they exist in a bubble within a tournament and they are not as effective as they once were. I watched the caddy make a call and Spieth overruled him and his decision ie a four iron and not a five was vindicated. A caddy cannot be making 'wrong' calls. IMHO
Report lewisham ranger May 19, 2017 3:07 PM BST
I think the issue with the caddy is a red herring. These sort of players tend to be obstinate, a lot of people think that jp is the wrong guy for Rory but he's won four majors with him

I do think that there's a good chance that Spieth explodes again soon and starts winning big tournaments. I just wonder whether the switching of the putter will be the catalyst but it smacks of a knee-jerk reaction. I can see him going back to the blade putter fairly soon if this doesn't work.

The reason why he's gone for the mallet putter is obvious- he doesn't look comfortable over four/five footers and hasn't for a while. But maybe that's just the fear that develops overtime, which when Spieth first came on the scene he simply didn't have. Rory has switched to the mallet but still misses a worrying amount of short putts.
Report Total Bosman May 19, 2017 7:41 PM BST
He's so used to draining everything it's got to be scary when they start missing, but the big worry is he starts overthinking things.  Serge struggled with the demons for years because when the fearlessness of youth wore off he started to overthink things.  Jordan was so confident with the putter that you worry about things going in the other direction rapidly.
Report lewisham ranger May 19, 2017 7:44 PM BST
I totally agree bosman.

Spiffy just missed a three footer. Teething problems perhaps, or the same issues remain.
Report jedi sophie May 19, 2017 10:09 PM BST
Personally think putting the least of his woes...Have you watched him hitting the ball off the Tee out there,or his irons?All over the ****g place!Ball striking really poor.
Report lewisham ranger May 19, 2017 10:34 PM BST
yes I agree his ball-striking is very ordinary

he's lost that fear factor that I think he once put in the rest of the field
Report jedi sophie May 19, 2017 10:39 PM BST
Shouted Fore on the last three tees!!
Report Total Bosman May 19, 2017 11:12 PM BST
Should have used his shiny new putter off 16th tee.
Report jedi sophie May 20, 2017 2:30 PM BST
CANNOT believe in the interview afterwards he is suggesting he is not far off!!Deluded or what!Appalling display for someone with his talent, totally lost the plot out there!
Miles off winning for me!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now