Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lewisham ranger
19 May 17 09:01
| Topic/replies: 2,189 | Blogger: lewisham ranger's blog
He changes from a blade putter to a larger mallet

I can't help feel that's because he's not comfortable over the shorter putts. Maybe he feels that this new putter will add stability, and help with alignment, but is it not true that the bigger the putter the more you lose that feel and possibly that brilliance? It also seems like it's a knee-jerk reaction to a loss of confidence and form

I think one of the great things about golf was watching spiffy draining those 30 foot putts with his classical blade. if he of all people is going down the huge putter head route, I for one find that depressing. Sad
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Spieth changes putter
Show More
Report mr meagi May 19, 2017 9:15 AM BST
Harrington changing the swing that won him majors, comes to mind. I agree with you LR. I honestly think that the Spieth/Caddy relationship is the problem. I feel like they might be friends but they exist in a bubble within a tournament and they are not as effective as they once were. I watched the caddy make a call and Spieth overruled him and his decision ie a four iron and not a five was vindicated. A caddy cannot be making 'wrong' calls. IMHO
Report lewisham ranger May 19, 2017 3:07 PM BST
I think the issue with the caddy is a red herring. These sort of players tend to be obstinate, a lot of people think that jp is the wrong guy for Rory but he's won four majors with him

I do think that there's a good chance that Spieth explodes again soon and starts winning big tournaments. I just wonder whether the switching of the putter will be the catalyst but it smacks of a knee-jerk reaction. I can see him going back to the blade putter fairly soon if this doesn't work.

The reason why he's gone for the mallet putter is obvious- he doesn't look comfortable over four/five footers and hasn't for a while. But maybe that's just the fear that develops overtime, which when Spieth first came on the scene he simply didn't have. Rory has switched to the mallet but still misses a worrying amount of short putts.
Report Total Bosman May 19, 2017 7:41 PM BST
He's so used to draining everything it's got to be scary when they start missing, but the big worry is he starts overthinking things.  Serge struggled with the demons for years because when the fearlessness of youth wore off he started to overthink things.  Jordan was so confident with the putter that you worry about things going in the other direction rapidly.
Report lewisham ranger May 19, 2017 7:44 PM BST
I totally agree bosman.

Spiffy just missed a three footer. Teething problems perhaps, or the same issues remain.
Report jedi sophie May 19, 2017 10:09 PM BST
Personally think putting the least of his woes...Have you watched him hitting the ball off the Tee out there,or his irons?All over the ****g place!Ball striking really poor.
Report lewisham ranger May 19, 2017 10:34 PM BST
yes I agree his ball-striking is very ordinary

he's lost that fear factor that I think he once put in the rest of the field
Report jedi sophie May 19, 2017 10:39 PM BST
Shouted Fore on the last three tees!!
Report Total Bosman May 19, 2017 11:12 PM BST
Should have used his shiny new putter off 16th tee.
Report jedi sophie May 20, 2017 2:30 PM BST
CANNOT believe in the interview afterwards he is suggesting he is not far off!!Deluded or what!Appalling display for someone with his talent, totally lost the plot out there!
Miles off winning for me!
Report lewisham ranger May 27, 2017 10:23 PM BST
I can see him going back to the blade putter fairly soon if this doesn't work.

call me soothsayer Cool http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/spieth-ditches-mallet-putt...
Report johnnythebull May 28, 2017 8:35 AM BST
he could fall off the edge of the planet never to be sighted again a la Duval
was always likely to happen if and when his putting deserted him
just didn't expect it to happen so soon
could be a blip but could be the beginning of the end
Report lewisham ranger May 28, 2017 9:25 AM BST
you always seem keen to wish failure for these people and write them off johnny, I wonder why.

it's daft to even suggest that spieth will fall off a cliff. Duval was much older when he had his meltdown, and he didn't win a couple of majors at the age of 21.

spieth is a great player and will turn it around and win more majors. It might happen this year, or it might happen next season, or the season after that. But he's too fiery and competitive a character to just fade into the background.
Report sickoflayinwinners May 28, 2017 3:55 PM BST
i did say last year  that if he loses his short game he'd lose his card as he  really is the most average ball striker(in fact shote ball striker), when he lost that masters in the drink  he played a par 3 with a 7 iron and was 60 yards wide of the green, yes he made an amazing 3 with his wonderful short game but his game is built purely on his  ability on and around the greens.
Report sewter lives again May 28, 2017 4:19 PM BST
I remember seeing your post sickoflayinwinners and thought you could well be right. Yes a great 3 at the Masters but his tee shot only stayed in bounds because it hit a tree!! Speith thought it had gone when he played it.
Report johnnythebull May 28, 2017 5:50 PM BST
lewisham ranger    28 May 17 09:25 
you always seem keen to wish failure for these people and write them off johnny, I wonder why.

read my post again..can see no mention of wishing ill upon the guy..just stating facts
only smn who by nature sees black where there's white could construe such
time will tell how he fares
Report lewisham ranger May 28, 2017 6:03 PM BST
I think people have short memories

wasn't spieth the second coming a while back? on this forum players are either absolutely awful or the bees knees

the truth lies somewhere in between

while I agree his ball-striking can be positively awful at times that won't last forever. When he had his golden run that was because he was hitting it pretty good and holing everything, I don't see any evidence to see he can't ever do that again. He has a wonderful short game and when he's on that's what stands him out from the pack.
Report lewisham ranger May 28, 2017 7:01 PM BST
spiffy within one at the colonial Cool
Report johnnythebull May 28, 2017 7:15 PM BST
i fired him up 4 uWink
Report sickoflayinwinners May 29, 2017 1:49 PM BST
the problem is   once guys  feel they have no idea whether its a hook or slice coming they have no bail out.
Report jedi sophie May 29, 2017 1:57 PM BST
More like Jordan last night from what is seen on highlights,still spraying it around a tad though!Seemed like had his mojo back.Probably very disappointed not to get at least Playoff after KK stumble coming in!
Memorial a real test for him!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now