Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catch Me ifyoucan
18 Apr 17 11:02
| Topic/replies: 13,008 | Blogger: Catch Me ifyoucan's blog
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/death-watch-how-much-longer-can-golf-survive-2017-04-18

It’s an expensive sport that takes more than three (or four) hours to play, and instead of making it more attractive to newcomers, designers have been hell-bent on making courses as difficult as possible.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View IS GOLF a dying sport ?
Show More
Report donny osmond April 18, 2017 11:52 AM BST
most folk are aware you can play fewer holes

cost is a big issue, as is difficulty in learning how to play.....but no change there
Report therhino April 18, 2017 1:10 PM BST
It's a societal issue. It's no longer cool for the man of the house to grab the clubs and walk out the door on the weekend to come home p1ssed as a fart 8 hours later wondering whats for dinner. The business model of a golf club is a failed one and the dinosaurs running them haven't a clue how to embrace the future. Plenty of people want to still play, go to any quality pay for play on a weekend and there is no shortage of customers. It is the golf clubs that are dying.
Report Marlas_Magic April 18, 2017 2:53 PM BST
Part of the problem is that so many golf courses make it so hard for people to join. There is still a ridiculous less of eliteness within them. The membership demographics of all clubs will not make pretty reading. The members don't care though. The situation is not helped by slow play either. There is nothing worse than a five hour round. Unfortunately you see so many people who just don't understand ready golf. Also, the insistence people have with playing strokeplay just slows things down further. Some of the new rules being proposed will help with that.
Report DickTurpin April 18, 2017 8:06 PM BST
I note the writer is from Portland and writes for the NY Times.............liberal, left-wing, probably self-hating as well.............
Report BobSievier April 18, 2017 8:15 PM BST
The decline is directly related to the loss of the only genuine superstar , it's snooker all over again
Report xmoneyx April 18, 2017 10:15 PM BST
Scotland - mon -- fri you can get on any course
Report trebor April 19, 2017 9:44 AM BST
I read that as if you had said it in a Scottish accent, and was thinking why are courses just quiet on a Friday? Cry
Report 1st time poster April 19, 2017 11:57 AM BST
golf has never been so cheap,you can pick up clubs for next to nothing,golf clubs that never ever advertised for members or tee times ,now have huge banners outside their clubs offering memberships,cheap tee times,free lessons, golf days etc,etc,
was at a boot sale the other day and pointed out to the wife that 40 years ago my dad joined a club head onto a piece of copper pipe,and others nicked clubs from the local pitch and putt,now you can pick clubs up at boot sales for 50p or less
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 19, 2017 3:39 PM BST
exactly 1st Timer,
golf has never been so cheap, you can pick up clubs for next to nothing, golf clubs that never ever advertised for members or tee times now have huge banners outside their clubs offering memberships, cheap tee times, free lessons, golf days etc, now you can pick clubs up at boot sales for 50p or less

Still less and less people want to take up the game
Report 1st time poster April 19, 2017 5:08 PM BST
not  saying they arnt ,but it not to do with the cost
,i,d say time is the number one reason with the 19th its probably a full day out
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 20, 2017 3:54 PM BST
RIDGEDALE, Mo. -- In front of a large crowd gathered for his latest course design announcement, Tiger Woods took two swings into a par-3 hole and remained noncommittal about his return to competitive golf. "The back is progressing," he said. "I have good days and bad days. I've had three back operations and that's just kind of the nature of the business, unfortunately. That's all I can say."

He did, however, hit a few shots in public Tuesday afternoon for the first time since that withdrawal in Dubai. Challenged by the great-nephew of Johnny Morris -- the owner and founder of Big Cedar Lodge, where Woods will develop his first public course design -- he hit two shots off a makeshift tee at what will become a par-3 19th hole once the course is built.
The first shot was reminiscent of Woods' three tentative swings during a news conference at Congressional Country Club last year. While each of those fell short of the 10th green and splashed into the adjacent pond, Woods' first shot Tuesday rattled around the rocks that will front the green on the yet-to-be-built course.
His second, though, landed pin-high, about 10 feet from the cup. "The first shot was crap," he offered with a laugh. "The second shot, I stiffed it."

Speaking to current PGA Tour Champions member Tom Lehman, who was acting as emcee for the event, Woods alluded to "nine more years" until he can tee it up among the senior circuit. The 41-year-old later insisted that it's "right around the corner." The announcement was less about Woods' health and future, though, than the newest course design for his company, TGR Design. Already with El Cardonal at Diamante and Bluejack National under his belt, Woods' latest project will honor late Missouri native Payne Stewart, to be called Payne's Valley.
With Stewart's widow, Tracey, in the audience, Woods explained that he wanted to offer a course that will serve as a living memorial to his former Ryder Cup teammate, who died in a 1999 plane crash at age 42. The course is expected to open in 2019.

Much as with his other designs, Woods will also develop a nine-hole short course on property at the Big Cedar Lodge resort that will be geared toward beginner golfers and children. "Golf can be made fun," Woods said. "I know we're struggling with it right now. The golf industry is flat. It's hard to get people access into the game, but also the sustainability of it -- especially our youth. How many of our kids look up and see the world? They're always looking down [at phones or other devices] and typing things. That's what we're trying to fight."
Report crystalhunt April 21, 2017 4:41 PM BST
Maybe this will make the game more popular

The European Tour has recently unveiled GolfSixes, a revolutionary and novel short form of the game embracing innovation and originality in professional golf. The inaugural GolfSixes event – featuring a prize fund of €1 million – will make its debut on the European Tour schedule at the Centurion Club in St Albans, on May 6-7, 2017.

The European Tour has kindly offered the chance for England Golf members such as you to snap up a limited number of FREE TICKETS to experience this revolutionary short form of golf.

If you don't manage to get your hands on one of the limited number of free tickets, don't worry you will still be able to snap up tickets for just £6 (normal price £16), as part of the special England Golf GolfSixes offer.  This means a family of four can have a great day out for under £20, with children’s tickets (10 to 17 years old) available for £3 and free entry for under 10s.

As well as watching two-man teams from 16 different nations competing for the €1 million prize fund, there will be entertainment for you to enjoy outside the ropes as the six holes wend their way around the centrally located fan zone at the Hertfordshire venue. In addition to amphitheatre-style stands around the tees and greens, there will be music and pyrotechnics on the first tee and at various points around the course, with player engagement to help bring you closer to the action.
Report kincsem April 22, 2017 1:56 AM BST
Perhaps they need more characters among the professionals?
Many of the pros now are as dull as dishwater..

Read this article from 1993
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19930613&slug=1706213

The article includes this piece about Eddie Pearce, a massive talent that never won on the PGA Tour
"Pearce clearly remembers his initiation as a rookie, when Lanny Wadkins and Bob Murphy asked him to join about 30 players at 4 p.m. at the Banyon Tree lounge in Hawaii.
Pearce had to buy the first round, and the bill was $130. "I had to stay seven hours just to catch up and get my money's worth," he said." Laugh
Report sewter lives again April 22, 2017 6:10 PM BST
Nowadays golf takes too long as pointed out by other posters. Golfers take too long playing whether they are pros or others.

To counteract this the R and A, American Golf and others are promoting 6 hole pro golf and 9 hole golf to try and make golf quicker and thus more attractive. For many reasons golf is stubborn to change.
There seems to be a general indifference to innovation.
For example tomorrow I am playing in one of the regional qualifying 9 hole competitions-the winners get to play in the final at Birkdale the weekend before the Open!! Only 70 players have entered instead of a maximum 96. I thought it would be massively oversubscribed.
Report maggot April 22, 2017 7:33 PM BST
Utter tripe.
Golf is more available to the masses, and to the youngsters, now, than it's ever been.
There are more courses. More practise facilities,more teachers, more reasonably priced equipment, etc, etc.
It never has been cheap, so I really do not get the point of this drivel.
We don't all need to play with bloody Pings and £5 golf balls.
Report sewter lives again April 22, 2017 8:06 PM BST
True about the equipment being cheaper.

But golf popularity still appears to be dropping.
Report charwell. April 22, 2017 11:46 PM BST
Young people lack patience. Too busy on social media and competing to convince everyone else they are having such a great time!

Golf is a game to be enjoyed in a relaxing manner and not on the hoof.

I hate slow play; and no reason a round should be longer than 4 hours. But you need a couple of hours on top for travel, a bite to eat, a shower and a couple of post round pints. Rushing the 19th hole detracts from the day.

Golf has never been better, cheaper or more accessible. But it requires patience to learn how to play and time to play. Two qualities the 'have now' generation see, to have forgotten.
Report charwell. April 22, 2017 11:46 PM BST
see = seem
Report saxon farm April 23, 2017 12:00 AM BST
charwell

An excellent post.
Report crystalhunt April 23, 2017 8:14 PM BST
Charwell - the time to play is a key factor. I think many young parents do far more with their kids in their spare time than my generation, and I think many would be golfers can't justify the time needed to their partners or their kids. I regret playing too much golf when my kids were young.
Report lfc1971 April 24, 2017 7:33 AM BST
parents shouldn't see their children during the summer months.
Report lfc1971 April 24, 2017 7:36 AM BST
and don't worry children don't want to see their parents, why would they?
Report lfc1971 April 24, 2017 7:55 AM BST
The best and most enjoyable way to start playing golf is if at an early age, about 10 or 11, a few of you as friends have a go at playing, first on a local field and shortly after a local golf course.
and you just play all day without any need for golf lessons, just playing the game and being on the course all day during the school summer holidays.
That is how you come to love the game. It has nothing much to do with parents or golf lessons or even the golf club itself.
Report sewter lives again April 24, 2017 8:43 AM BST
Exactly lfc long hot 70s summers  my mother dropped us off on the way to work with a packed lunch and picked us up 36 holes later
Report therhino April 24, 2017 12:45 PM BST
They have long hot summers in the UK? Silly
Report 1st time poster April 25, 2017 7:54 PM BST
its the human thought process,the cheaper,less elitist it gets the less people think they are getting one up on some one,everyone wanted louis vutton hsndbags etc make millions of them charge a fiver and no one wants them ,its all snobery
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now