Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
HeinzGuderian
20 Mar 17 12:23
| Topic/replies: 3,415 | Blogger: HeinzGuderian's blog
Personally speaking, it's not for me.
Even without the new format, I was never a big fan of match play.
For those of you having a punt, I wish you every success. But I will be keeping my powder dry until Texas.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View The WGC Dell Match Play 2017
Show More
Report 1st time poster March 20, 2017 5:58 PM GMT
any chance of explaining the new format heinz
Report saxon farm March 20, 2017 6:14 PM GMT
16 groups of 4 play round robin wednesday, thursday friday.
16 group winners play straight knockout saturday, sunday.
Draw for groups (seeded) later this evening.
Report lewisham ranger March 20, 2017 6:47 PM GMT
could be a big week for patrick reed Wink
Report zog March 20, 2017 8:12 PM GMT
Enjoyed this when played as a straight knockout on them desert courses in February.
Not the same now.
Report Hank Hill March 20, 2017 9:46 PM GMT
Heinz it is in Texas Silly

RR was a terrible change to the matchplay Sad

Groups should be out soon.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 20, 2017 10:42 PM GMT
Agree with Zog the format and scheduling have been for the worse.

The wednesday knock out was usually a good evenings entertainment. The round robin format is a nonsense for me and kills the excitement of the early rounds. scheduling this event now rather than in february is also a mistake.

Like Heinz I think ill give it a miss, id actually prefer the other event was on tv
Report therhino March 21, 2017 7:48 AM GMT
It is too much golf. Round robin would be ok if 9 hole matches and the whole thing done in one day. Day 2 round of 32 and 16 also 9 holes, same for quarters and semis the next day with the final on Sunday being 18 holes. Never been my fave even before the change, matchplay is awesome at the Ryder Cup but not as a tour event.
Report therhino March 21, 2017 7:50 AM GMT
Garcia vs Rahm promises to be epic Excited
Report lewisham ranger March 21, 2017 8:28 AM GMT
well it's pretty obvious why they do groups first then knockout. If they did knockout first then it would increase the chance of the big names going out early, which wouldn't please the tv companies.

personally I don't mind it at all.
Report lewisham ranger March 21, 2017 8:29 AM GMT
spieth handed a very nice group. like his chances now.
Report 1st time poster March 21, 2017 12:07 PM GMT
usualy need an a level in maths to work out who can meet who in which quarter etc,is this a straight draw in the final 16 and onwards or if you want to back 3 or 4 say , is it a seeded draw in 2 halves etc at the weekend,
rather than knocking your own selections out are we better off waiting till the last 16 before having a look and working out the sides of the draw etc
Report Total Bosman March 21, 2017 12:30 PM GMT
Just filled out the fantasy bracket to try to focus the mind.  Ended up with Pieters going a long way, like his draw a lot.
Report Jack_Kray March 21, 2017 3:15 PM GMT
Same format at Champions League, except just one going through, not two.

Two players in different halves of the draw for me - Spieth at 12s and Day at 16s, both EW.

I'm happy enough with Spieth at 3s and Day at 4s to make the semis, considering Rory is only double that to win the thing outright.
Report sewter lives again March 21, 2017 7:31 PM GMT
the RR group stage seems so random that it looks very difficult to predict

I did the same as you Bosman with the fantasy bracket but if anything it's made me more confused
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 21, 2017 9:12 PM GMT
WGC Matchplay returns to Austin Country Club this week STARTS WEDNESDAY

Group 1 – Dustin Johnson (1), Jimmy Walker (18), Martin Kaymer (41) and Webb Simpson (58)
Group 16 – Matt Kuchar (16), Tommy Fleetwood (29), Zach Johnson (44) and Brendan Steele (50)
Group 9 – Patrick Reed (9), Brooks Koepka (20), Kevin Kisner (34) and Jason Dufner (59)
Group 8 – Alex Noren (8), Francesco Molinari (25), Bernd Wiesberger (36), Thongchai Jaidee (57)

Group 5 – Jordan Spieth (5), Ryan Moore (32), Yuta Ikeda (37) and Hideto Tanihara (54)
Group 12 – Paul Casey (12), Charl Schwartzel (24), Byeong Hun An (45) and Joost Luiten (50)
Group 13 – Bubba Watson (13), Thomas Pieters (30), Scott Piercy (39) and Jhonattan Vegas (55)
Group 4 – Hideki Matsuyama (4), Louis Oosthuizen (23), Ross Fisher (47) and Jim Furyk (51)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Group 2 – Rory McIlroy (2), Emiliano Grillo (26), Gary Woodland (33) and Soren Kjeldsen (62)
Group 15 – Branden Grace (15), Brandt Snedeker (19), William McGirt (48) and Andy Sullivan (52)
Group 10 – Tyrrell Hatton (10), Rafa Cabrera Bello (22), Jeunghun Wang (40) and Charles Howell III (61)
Group 7 – Sergio Garcia (7), Jon Rahm (21), Kevin Chappell (38) and Shane Lowry (53)

Group 6 – Justin Thomas (6), Matthew Fitzpatrick (27), Kevin Na (46) and Chris Wood (49)
Group 11 – Danny Willett (11), Russell Knox (17), Bill Haas (42) and K.T. Kim (64)
Group 14 – Phil Mickelson (14), J.B. Holmes (31), Daniel Berger (35) and Si Woo Kim (63)
Group 3 – Jason Day (3), Marc Leishman (28), Lee Westwood (43) and Pat Perez (56)
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 21, 2017 9:54 PM GMT
Rors, Day, Dustbin, Hideki,,Sergio.
Report mighty March 22, 2017 6:22 AM GMT
test
Report Total Bosman March 22, 2017 2:28 PM GMT
Pretty bad forecast for Friday, problem with this event is if they have delays the schedule is so full it's hard to catch up.  If they lose Friday they might have to go Monday.
Report therhino March 22, 2017 2:30 PM GMT
2nd time in a few weeks Reed has been all over the shop betting wise. Out to 70s and one point, now people are taking 30s ConfusedCrazy
Report Total Bosman March 22, 2017 6:20 PM GMT
My fantasy bracket had Rory to win so that's looking pretty shaky already.
Report sewter lives again March 22, 2017 6:56 PM GMT
Well the Sky promo is already pretty much redundant as Rory wont be getting revenge over Patrick this week.
Needs a miracle to progress
Report lewisham ranger March 22, 2017 7:03 PM GMT
very poor from spiethy Cry

have to hope he goes 2/3 and gets help from elsewhere
Report lewisham ranger March 22, 2017 8:11 PM GMT
what happens is spieth and the guy he lost to today both finish 1st and 2nd on 2/3

does spieth go out on head to head?

i'm clutching at straws now Cry
Report ashleigh March 22, 2017 8:46 PM GMT
j day withdraws from match or tournament?
Report Total Bosman March 22, 2017 8:48 PM GMT
Presumably just conceded match for now but doubt he'll play hurt tomorrow with his chances of qualifying so low.  I'm starting to wonder when the guy retires.
Report sewter lives again March 22, 2017 8:49 PM GMT
TV wont be seeing much of the "superstars" now whatever the format!!

Rory, Allday and Spiffy pretty much out
Report Aussie Driver March 22, 2017 9:09 PM GMT
All power to Jason and his family. No one deserves that sort of heartache. Hope for some divine intervention
Report therhino March 23, 2017 1:46 PM GMT
Berger ripped it up on day one, smashed JB 7&5 while going -7 thru 13 holes. Happy to take the 2.4 to beat Phil based on that form.
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 3:50 PM GMT
Could be match of the day, that one Rhino.  Berger is a birdie machine and I'd probably make him slight fav (my bracket has Berger progressing).  Can't read much into Phil beating Si Woo, you'd expect anyone in the field to beat him on current form.
Report 1st time poster March 23, 2017 7:01 PM GMT
call me confused but if the forum reckons its almost certain you,ll be eliminated if beaten,why not just retain the old format,if the sponsors want the stars to stay alive ,surely pure knockout will concentrate the mind more
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 7:14 PM GMT
If kjeldsen loses his match to grillo and rory then beats grillo, who qualifies? I'm a bit confused about the rules here

would there be a play-off on 2/3?
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 7:20 PM GMT
Yup, play off.  Posted it on the sick note thread by mistake, but the Woodland WD was bad news for Rory despite getting a free point today.
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 7:23 PM GMT
well maybe but I think grillo will beat kjedlsen anyway

so it's still there for rory

this way he only has to beat one good player to qualify whereas before he had to beat two
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 7:30 PM GMT
Yeah, I guess he was always going to be reliant on other results but the fact it's out of his hands today won't thrill him.  t's now a very specific permutation for Rory to qualify.  Grillo HAS to beat Kjeldsen, Rory HAS to beat Grillo and on top of that Rory HAS to beat Soren in a play-off.
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 7:36 PM GMT
think the closest one will be grillo beating kjedlsen

think the other ones will come in if that happens
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 7:41 PM GMT
grillo already one up so looking good for rory

the day you start worrying about players like kjeldsen is the day you should give up the game Wink
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 7:53 PM GMT
Yeah, 2 up for Grillo now so Rory can relax.
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 7:54 PM GMT
Now Molinari has WD so Jaidee and Wiesberger get the shaft.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 23, 2017 7:58 PM GMT
format becoming a farce with the withdraws

should scrap the round robin nonsense
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 8:13 PM GMT
Think Jaidee got the shaft last year too when Casey withdrew and allowed Day through their group.
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 8:18 PM GMT
Soren back AS.  Regardless of permutations I'm sure Rory would rather be out on the course than have a point in hand but have to follow this to know if he's in it.
Report sewter lives again March 23, 2017 8:49 PM GMT
I think the RR format was brought in to keep the top players around for TV in case they had a bad day.

However, the format is plain stupid if you get withdrawals, unfair to some as they can become eliminated without playing.

Personally, I feel that if it's matchplay it should be straight knockout.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 23, 2017 9:13 PM GMT
Even that hasn't exactly worked, stenson, rose, scott, fowler didn't even bother teeing it up.

Im sure the Wednesday used to be the best watched day of the competition with lots of drama and upsets.

Those who lose in round one are struggling to qualify and many will have a dead rubber on the friday.

Much prefer it to go back to a straight knockout some might not turn up but for those below the top 10 the rewards for doing well are too great to not bother turning up in terms of fed ex and WR points.
Report sewter lives again March 23, 2017 9:22 PM GMT
the players you mention probably didnt fancy playing 3 rounds of RR followed by the possibility of 2 days of 36 holes
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 9:57 PM GMT
Looking bad for Rory now.  If he goes out after playing one match I daresay he'll be unhappy but if he hadn't lost to Kjeldsen wouldn't be a problem.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 23, 2017 10:00 PM GMT
not sure he will be too devastated TB, as sewter says its a long weekend. Gives time to rest and work on the game for the masters

Sewter Stenson said the rr was the reason for not playing
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 10:29 PM GMT
Wonder if Rory might acquire an overnight mystery ailment.  Maybe the old toothache might return.
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 10:56 PM GMT
moore choking away a 3 shot lead

useless plonker
Report Hank Hill March 23, 2017 10:57 PM GMT
They are destroying this tourny. I'm a big fan of matchplay, but it needs to go back to str8 knockout and fast. The 'stars' can have a bad day and be knocked out and the the execs may not like it. However, this tourny is already becoming a farce Sad
Report Hank Hill March 23, 2017 10:59 PM GMT
lol Spieth wet and Ikeda follows him str8 in
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 11:51 PM GMT
Must confess I enjoy the format and the various permutations that come up.  This Tanihara match is huge for Spieth.
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 11:56 PM GMT
fuming at moore. knew he was useless. now praying that somehow iketa manages to beat his countryman.Cry
Report Total Bosman March 24, 2017 3:48 PM GMT
Turns out Na is a choker in matchplay too.
Report lewisham ranger March 24, 2017 4:11 PM GMT
ikeda chucking it already.

so much for japanese people being honourable.
Report Jack_Kray March 24, 2017 4:13 PM GMT
The japanese are all square through 1

This is almost going to be over for the day when Sky come on air - any early links?
Report sewter lives again March 24, 2017 4:24 PM GMT
typical Kevin Na 4 up after 6 holes now looks like losing 3 and 2

although to be fair to him Chris Wood has had seven 3s in the last 9 holes
Report Total Bosman March 24, 2017 4:58 PM GMT
Going to be no shortage of playoffs.  Looks like could be 3-way playoffs in the Westwood and Hatton groups.
Report sewter lives again March 24, 2017 5:26 PM GMT
yes Bosman several likely playoffs

I think that this competition would probably be better with 2-3 rounds of stroke play to get your 16 qualifiers followed by the matchplay (similar to British Amateur).

That way the TV companies get to fawn over the top 3/4 in the world for a couple of days without them being knocked out straight away and the professionals know pretty much what they have to do to qualify for the knockout stages. Plus there is still the excitement on Friday with the potential for a playoff for qualifying positions-rather than the nonsense with playoffs between players who played each other 2 days ago.

Withdrawals (for whatever reason) wouldn't have the repercussions that they have on a RR format
Report lewisham ranger March 24, 2017 6:00 PM GMT
hate golf

cost me a fortune over last few years

horrible random game
Report bigH March 24, 2017 7:52 PM GMT
what happened to Hatton?

2 shot penalty on green?????
Report mafeking March 24, 2017 8:04 PM GMT
ball moved when he was addressing it. would have been no pen if he replaced it but he just carried on and putted out
Report therhino March 24, 2017 10:07 PM GMT

Mar 24, 2017 -- 11:11AM, lewisham ranger wrote:

ikeda chucking it already.so much for japanese people being honourable.

Laugh

Report Hank Hill March 24, 2017 10:31 PM GMT
For a bit of fun let's predict the last 16 winners

Na
Mickelson
Rahm
Kjeldsen
Casey
Fisher
Koepka
DJ
Report Lufc86 March 24, 2017 11:32 PM GMT
When does DJ Hit evens?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now