Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
HeinzGuderian
20 Mar 17 13:23
| Topic/replies: 3,324 | Blogger: HeinzGuderian's blog
Personally speaking, it's not for me.
Even without the new format, I was never a big fan of match play.
For those of you having a punt, I wish you every success. But I will be keeping my powder dry until Texas.
Share |

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 179
By:
1st time poster
When: 20 Mar 17 18:58
any chance of explaining the new format heinz
By:
saxon farm
When: 20 Mar 17 19:14
16 groups of 4 play round robin wednesday, thursday friday.
16 group winners play straight knockout saturday, sunday.
Draw for groups (seeded) later this evening.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 20 Mar 17 19:47
could be a big week for patrick reed Wink
By:
zog
When: 20 Mar 17 21:12
Enjoyed this when played as a straight knockout on them desert courses in February.
Not the same now.
By:
Hank Hill
When: 20 Mar 17 22:46
Heinz it is in Texas Silly

RR was a terrible change to the matchplay Sad

Groups should be out soon.
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 20 Mar 17 23:42
Agree with Zog the format and scheduling have been for the worse.

The wednesday knock out was usually a good evenings entertainment. The round robin format is a nonsense for me and kills the excitement of the early rounds. scheduling this event now rather than in february is also a mistake.

Like Heinz I think ill give it a miss, id actually prefer the other event was on tv
By:
therhino
When: 21 Mar 17 08:48
It is too much golf. Round robin would be ok if 9 hole matches and the whole thing done in one day. Day 2 round of 32 and 16 also 9 holes, same for quarters and semis the next day with the final on Sunday being 18 holes. Never been my fave even before the change, matchplay is awesome at the Ryder Cup but not as a tour event.
By:
therhino
When: 21 Mar 17 08:50
Garcia vs Rahm promises to be epic Excited
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 21 Mar 17 09:28
well it's pretty obvious why they do groups first then knockout. If they did knockout first then it would increase the chance of the big names going out early, which wouldn't please the tv companies.

personally I don't mind it at all.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 21 Mar 17 09:29
spieth handed a very nice group. like his chances now.
By:
1st time poster
When: 21 Mar 17 13:07
usualy need an a level in maths to work out who can meet who in which quarter etc,is this a straight draw in the final 16 and onwards or if you want to back 3 or 4 say , is it a seeded draw in 2 halves etc at the weekend,
rather than knocking your own selections out are we better off waiting till the last 16 before having a look and working out the sides of the draw etc
By:
Total Bosman
When: 21 Mar 17 13:30
Just filled out the fantasy bracket to try to focus the mind.  Ended up with Pieters going a long way, like his draw a lot.
By:
Jack_Kray
When: 21 Mar 17 16:15
Same format at Champions League, except just one going through, not two.

Two players in different halves of the draw for me - Spieth at 12s and Day at 16s, both EW.

I'm happy enough with Spieth at 3s and Day at 4s to make the semis, considering Rory is only double that to win the thing outright.
By:
sewter lives again
When: 21 Mar 17 20:31
the RR group stage seems so random that it looks very difficult to predict

I did the same as you Bosman with the fantasy bracket but if anything it's made me more confused
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 21 Mar 17 22:12
WGC Matchplay returns to Austin Country Club this week STARTS WEDNESDAY

Group 1 – Dustin Johnson (1), Jimmy Walker (18), Martin Kaymer (41) and Webb Simpson (58)
Group 16 – Matt Kuchar (16), Tommy Fleetwood (29), Zach Johnson (44) and Brendan Steele (50)
Group 9 – Patrick Reed (9), Brooks Koepka (20), Kevin Kisner (34) and Jason Dufner (59)
Group 8 – Alex Noren (8), Francesco Molinari (25), Bernd Wiesberger (36), Thongchai Jaidee (57)

Group 5 – Jordan Spieth (5), Ryan Moore (32), Yuta Ikeda (37) and Hideto Tanihara (54)
Group 12 – Paul Casey (12), Charl Schwartzel (24), Byeong Hun An (45) and Joost Luiten (50)
Group 13 – Bubba Watson (13), Thomas Pieters (30), Scott Piercy (39) and Jhonattan Vegas (55)
Group 4 – Hideki Matsuyama (4), Louis Oosthuizen (23), Ross Fisher (47) and Jim Furyk (51)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Group 2 – Rory McIlroy (2), Emiliano Grillo (26), Gary Woodland (33) and Soren Kjeldsen (62)
Group 15 – Branden Grace (15), Brandt Snedeker (19), William McGirt (48) and Andy Sullivan (52)
Group 10 – Tyrrell Hatton (10), Rafa Cabrera Bello (22), Jeunghun Wang (40) and Charles Howell III (61)
Group 7 – Sergio Garcia (7), Jon Rahm (21), Kevin Chappell (38) and Shane Lowry (53)

Group 6 – Justin Thomas (6), Matthew Fitzpatrick (27), Kevin Na (46) and Chris Wood (49)
Group 11 – Danny Willett (11), Russell Knox (17), Bill Haas (42) and K.T. Kim (64)
Group 14 – Phil Mickelson (14), J.B. Holmes (31), Daniel Berger (35) and Si Woo Kim (63)
Group 3 – Jason Day (3), Marc Leishman (28), Lee Westwood (43) and Pat Perez (56)
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 21 Mar 17 22:54
Rors, Day, Dustbin, Hideki,,Sergio.
By:
mighty
When: 22 Mar 17 07:22
test
By:
Total Bosman
When: 22 Mar 17 15:28
Pretty bad forecast for Friday, problem with this event is if they have delays the schedule is so full it's hard to catch up.  If they lose Friday they might have to go Monday.
By:
therhino
When: 22 Mar 17 15:30
2nd time in a few weeks Reed has been all over the shop betting wise. Out to 70s and one point, now people are taking 30s ConfusedCrazy
By:
Total Bosman
When: 22 Mar 17 19:20
My fantasy bracket had Rory to win so that's looking pretty shaky already.
By:
sewter lives again
When: 22 Mar 17 19:56
Well the Sky promo is already pretty much redundant as Rory wont be getting revenge over Patrick this week.
Needs a miracle to progress
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 22 Mar 17 20:03
very poor from spiethy Cry

have to hope he goes 2/3 and gets help from elsewhere
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 22 Mar 17 21:11
what happens is spieth and the guy he lost to today both finish 1st and 2nd on 2/3

does spieth go out on head to head?

i'm clutching at straws now Cry
By:
ashleigh
When: 22 Mar 17 21:46
j day withdraws from match or tournament?
By:
Total Bosman
When: 22 Mar 17 21:48
Presumably just conceded match for now but doubt he'll play hurt tomorrow with his chances of qualifying so low.  I'm starting to wonder when the guy retires.
By:
sewter lives again
When: 22 Mar 17 21:49
TV wont be seeing much of the "superstars" now whatever the format!!

Rory, Allday and Spiffy pretty much out
By:
Aussie Driver
When: 22 Mar 17 22:09
All power to Jason and his family. No one deserves that sort of heartache. Hope for some divine intervention
By:
therhino
When: 23 Mar 17 14:46
Berger ripped it up on day one, smashed JB 7&5 while going -7 thru 13 holes. Happy to take the 2.4 to beat Phil based on that form.
By:
Total Bosman
When: 23 Mar 17 16:50
Could be match of the day, that one Rhino.  Berger is a birdie machine and I'd probably make him slight fav (my bracket has Berger progressing).  Can't read much into Phil beating Si Woo, you'd expect anyone in the field to beat him on current form.
By:
1st time poster
When: 23 Mar 17 20:01
call me confused but if the forum reckons its almost certain you,ll be eliminated if beaten,why not just retain the old format,if the sponsors want the stars to stay alive ,surely pure knockout will concentrate the mind more
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 23 Mar 17 20:14
If kjeldsen loses his match to grillo and rory then beats grillo, who qualifies? I'm a bit confused about the rules here

would there be a play-off on 2/3?
By:
Total Bosman
When: 23 Mar 17 20:20
Yup, play off.  Posted it on the sick note thread by mistake, but the Woodland WD was bad news for Rory despite getting a free point today.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 23 Mar 17 20:23
well maybe but I think grillo will beat kjedlsen anyway

so it's still there for rory

this way he only has to beat one good player to qualify whereas before he had to beat two
By:
Total Bosman
When: 23 Mar 17 20:30
Yeah, I guess he was always going to be reliant on other results but the fact it's out of his hands today won't thrill him.  t's now a very specific permutation for Rory to qualify.  Grillo HAS to beat Kjeldsen, Rory HAS to beat Grillo and on top of that Rory HAS to beat Soren in a play-off.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 23 Mar 17 20:36
think the closest one will be grillo beating kjedlsen

think the other ones will come in if that happens
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 23 Mar 17 20:41
grillo already one up so looking good for rory

the day you start worrying about players like kjeldsen is the day you should give up the game Wink
By:
Total Bosman
When: 23 Mar 17 20:53
Yeah, 2 up for Grillo now so Rory can relax.
By:
Total Bosman
When: 23 Mar 17 20:54
Now Molinari has WD so Jaidee and Wiesberger get the shaft.
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 23 Mar 17 20:58
format becoming a farce with the withdraws

should scrap the round robin nonsense
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now