Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
FRANKIETHETORY
14 Dec 16 18:39
| Topic/replies: 337 | Blogger: FRANKIETHETORY's blog
I read earlier that big Henrik Stenson recieved the European Tour's player of the year award. Quite deserved for the champion golfer of the year. The Open at Royal Troon, a silver medal at the Olympics, the Race to Dubai winner and a very good personal Ryder Cup effort.

Would the Swede also be your player of the year?

Personally I find him a solid candidate but there's a few that have claims.

Alex Noren had a tremendous campaign. He won the Scottish Open, the European Masters, the British Masters and the Nedbank. Should he have been in the Ryder Cup too?....

Danny Willett won the Masters, earning the green jacket and also triumphed in the Dubai Desert Classic. He wasn't so good in the Ryder Cup but maybe that was down to an off the field incident....

Dustin Johnson finally kept his bottle at a major and triumphed at Oakmont to win the US Open. Also winning the WCG-Bridgestone and the BMW. He threatened to win a lot more and all in all it was a stellar season for Dustin.

Hideki Matsuyama finished the term in blistering form and is without doubt a major player at present, and going forward. You cannot see him failing to win a major.

There are other names in with a shout including Tyrell Hatton (Alfred Dunhill), Rory McIlroy (FedEx Cup), Mathew Fitzpatrick (DP World Tour)...
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Your golfer of the year?
Show More
Report GT December 14, 2016 8:52 PM GMT
Tyrrell Hatton had a great year...made 20 out of 23 cuts. Highlights..Won the Alf, 2nd in Dubai..T5 in The Open...ten Top 10's.
Report donny osmond December 14, 2016 9:30 PM GMT
a left field vote from me please

phil mickelson was a brilliant loser at the open and his ryder cup duel with
sergio was another highlite

hes always a gent too, gteat for golf

how long can he keep it up

cant decide between about 6 of them that have played better than him
this season, so phil gets my vote.
Report FRANKIETHETORY December 15, 2016 1:12 AM GMT
Yeh fair point on Phil. I can't have it though after I absolutely piled on him at the Masters....mc Sad

I suppose Jason Day is worth a mention. Had that right purple patch in March winning the Arnold Palmer invitational and the WGC Dell Matchplay. And in May the Players Championship.

Thomas Pieters (Made in Denmark/Ryder Cup), Emiliano Grillo, JB Holmes (he reckons his best year), Jordan Speith, Ryan Moore (Eastlake/Ryder Cup), Shane Lowry (US Open), Kevin Chappell and Daniel Berger have claims too.
Report lewisham ranger December 15, 2016 9:57 AM GMT
I was surprised when they ran a vote on this on sky that Stenson came out on top.

DJ the clear winner for me. Had a major breakthrough and got very close to number one in the world. Yes Day did well but the absence of a major keeps him out of top spot for me

Anyway who cares about last season I'm already thinking about who wins next years majors Wink
Report FRANKIETHETORY December 15, 2016 9:46 PM GMT
I don't know how you can be 'surprised' at Stenson winning. He did win the Open etc... The man has looked imperious at times and is so comfortable in the game.

Dustin is, of course, right up there but Stenson cannot be far behind at all. That last round at Royal Troon was magnificent.
Report FRANKIETHETORY December 15, 2016 10:02 PM GMT
And there's no way Dustin would have put in a round like that under the circumstances.
Report lewisham ranger December 15, 2016 11:47 PM GMT
And there's no way Dustin would have put in a round like that under the circumstances.

You mean he would have folded like he did in the last round of the US open?
Report donny osmond December 16, 2016 12:21 PM GMT
dustin in us open may well have inspired the finish at our open

who knows?

anyway i couldnt chose between them two ( stenson and dusty)
Report FRANKIETHETORY December 16, 2016 10:48 PM GMT

Dec 15, 2016 -- 11:47PM, lewisham ranger wrote:

And there's no way Dustin would have put in a round like that under the circumstances.You mean he would have folded like he did in the last round of the US open?

With a rampant Mickelson alongside I know who my money would be on.

Report lewisham ranger December 17, 2016 12:24 AM GMT
true, that old codger who hasn't won a tournament in almost half a decade can put the fear into anyone Laugh
Report FRANKIETHETORY December 17, 2016 11:00 PM GMT
'that old codger' haha, clueless! I'm watching the US Open highlights as we speak and Dustin wasn't really pressured in the last round, and still.made plenty of errors. His long game came to help in the end. Winning the US Open at Oakmont is some achievement. But -8 at Royal Troon, under the circumstances makes Henrik the man of the year.
Report lewisham ranger December 18, 2016 11:16 AM GMT
To say that Dustin wasn't really pressured in the last round to my mind is laughable when you consider he had all the stuff with the moving of the ball going on. And a last round of a US open is always pressure, it's not like he was ten shots clear.

A lot of people seem to rate winning the open over the US version but depends where you live I guess. Jack Nicklaus always said the major he wanted to win the most was the US open and you could also make a case for Willett after his extraordinary comeback (helped by a spieth collapse admittedly) in the Masters.Problem for Willett was he didn't really feature apart from at Augusta.

Personally I found the Open championship a bit of a damp squib with only two players really in contention to win from an early stage. Fine if you'd backed them but otherwise it was rather dull. Having said that yes it was a brilliant performance by both of the front two in the last couple of rounds especially in the conditions but I'm not sure that's enough to make Stenson golfer of the year when you consider Dustin was also much more dominant overall, Stenson has only one two tournaments in the last couple of years having been in contention so many times and that would downgrade him for me.
Report therhino December 19, 2016 11:45 AM GMT
DJ is easily player of the year. Can't believe it's even a discussion. Henrik at Troon was performance of the year (and I think Phil's performance also trumps anything anyone else did all year) but for sheer body of work it has to go to DJ. Not sure how the likes of Hatton, Willett and Fitzpatrick get mentioned ConfusedCrazy
Report xmoneyx December 30, 2016 5:38 PM GMT
3rd round player of the year WW

Excited
Report Mighty Whites 2008 January 5, 2017 1:44 PM GMT
some interesting mentions in here but for me only three contenders.

Day, Stenson and Dustin.

Day spent most of the year at number 1 picked up 3 wins including the players and a wgc. He got the second most OWGR points despite playing in only 18 events.

Stenson produced the round of the year at Troon to finally land a major. His only other win came in europe. In the last 4 years Stenson has had 30 top 3 finishes but only 6 wins, tremendous consistency but not enough wins.

Dustin was my player of the year, the guy has tremendous athletic ability great distance and last year added to that much improved wedge play. 15 top tens in 23 starts including 7 top 3 finishes and 3 wins including a major and a wgc, all on the pga tour contributed to him amassing 20% more OWGR points than anyone else and made him the stand out player of 2016. I would expect if he keeps it going that he will reach world number 1 at some point in 2017.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 12, 2017 2:47 PM GMT
I'll give you one BERNHARD LANGER Devil
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now