Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Can't Catch Me
12 Jan 16 18:49
| Topic/replies: 15,245 | Blogger: Can't Catch Me's blog
Happy to follow a couple of players who went well last week.

Jimmy Walker - pretty obvious pick, but his record here, coupled with his showing last week make him a must bet for me at 14/1

Brandt Snedeker - Another who showed really well last week and was actually really surprised to see he is 25/1 ew first six places.
Share |
Show More
Report cool eddy January 10, 2018 7:58 PM GMT
my bet Charles Howell III gl
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 11, 2018 7:53 PM GMT
Howell - Nine T10's at Waialae in last 16 starts - what price another T10 - take 9/2 with FRED Devil
Report par January 11, 2018 10:25 PM GMT
Spieths' luck runs out, a hacker 8
Report a bitofinterest January 15, 2018 12:05 AM GMT
nice to see the golf forum buzzing ,does ronski beat still post
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 7, 2019 8:18 PM GMT
ALOHA from OAHU...

...agus céad míle fáilte go Hawaii Five-0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w

Best cumulative score to par at the SONY Open in Hawaii in last 5 years:

Brian Harman -57
Charles Howell III -56
Gary Woodland -56
Zach Johnson -54
Jerry Kelly -54
Jimmy Walker -54
Report fullback January 7, 2019 10:06 PM GMT
Woodland and Cameron Smith,,,,,,,,,,,,,GET ON
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 7, 2019 10:56 PM GMT
Curtis Luck & Jason Kokrak (changing nappies again) are both taking a pass on a trip to Hawaii, thus Adam Long earns a start and first alternate Roberto Diaz.

Ian Poulter, who, after winning last spring's Houston Open, was aware he was going to fall short of the PGA Tour minimum starts rule, so as he was planning on attending the Tournament of Champions, he added the Sony Open to settled the 'new tournament' rule (to appear in a tournament they haven't been in four years) to settle his 'punishment'.

In addition, he also entertained eight guests for a round of golf (played 9 holes with each) and a visit to his Orlando home and Car Museum/Ryder Cup Office. The Wyndham Championship was one Poulter could have played under normal circumstances, but that would have given him nine straight weeks leading up to the Ryder Cup - so he let Wyndham select the guests who they wanted to send to Orlando. “We had a great time,” Poulter said. Nice touch, and added over $100k (so far) to his account for his trip to Hawaii Devil
Report therhino January 8, 2019 11:08 AM GMT
Having bagged a trophy at Sea Island who would begrudge Chucky winning this one once and for all.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 8, 2019 11:52 PM GMT
Chucky Howell's last ten appearances here - 32nd last year, 8,13,26,8, 3rd 2013, 2nd 2012, mc,5, 4th in 2009 - think he's passed the sell-by date imho Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 8, 2019 11:54 PM GMT
SMITH @33's ew on here was fine by me.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 9, 2019 12:01 AM GMT
Cameron, the current Australian PGA Champ was 18th & 27th in the last two years here.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 9, 2019 12:07 AM GMT
He's also 20's betting W/O DeChambeau, Leishman, Spieth, Thomas & Woodland on S.book.
Report Fullflush January 9, 2019 12:15 AM GMT
anyone know why webb simpson isnt going...
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 9, 2019 12:16 AM GMT
Kissire defends, Sneds, Kuchar, Woodland, Frittelli & Poulter on debut & Thomas may come into the equation after RD 1.
Report Total Bosman January 9, 2019 6:42 PM GMT
Chase Wright had two top tens already to start his PGA Tour career, T7 last time out when I was on so happy to have another crack at 1000.
Report therhino January 10, 2019 12:34 PM GMT
Good luck TB, cheering him on with you along with Woodland, Chucky, Champ and Ancer.
Report mengmeng January 10, 2019 1:16 PM GMT
back after my extended brak thanks to Tiger funding, i know it isnt original but i cant seem to get away from Justin Thomas this week,sometimes it pays to go with the obvious answer i guess.
Report mengmeng January 10, 2019 2:19 PM GMT
decided on Justim Thomas, Bryson and Kuchar for my team this week. havnt looked at golf for a few months so i am totally clueless as to whats been happening
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 10, 2019 3:03 PM GMT
Texas Longhorn Dylan Frittelli is staying in competitive mode having played trice in December (at home in Africa - T5-MC-T12) as he plays his first full season as a card-carrying member of the PGA TOUR. The 4-time winner (2 Euro & 2 Challenge Tour) is one of the best ball-strikers on the planet, long off the tee but, importantly here, is also more accurate than the TOUR average and is comfortable on Bermuda - "I play a lot of golf on Bermuda back home in America, and a few PGA Tour events, as well as a few mainland Europe events, but I felt at home." 80/1 ew over-the-cliff-we-go Devil
Report Total Bosman January 10, 2019 3:59 PM GMT
Belatedly joining you with a small tickle on Ancer, Rhino.  One of the form players in the world before Christmas so unless he spent the festive season mainlining heroin he's drifted to a fair old price.
Report Hank Hill January 10, 2019 4:55 PM GMT
From the pressers
Defending champion Patton Kizzire did what was expected and spoke favourably of the tournament, the area, the people and so on, but there's no denying he does play his best golf under Sony Open conditions and has cause for confidence this week.

"It feels good (to be back), he said. "I told my wife, Kari, when we got here, I said, I just feel comfortable here. It's so nice staying right on the beach; country club feel. Everybody in Hawaii is nice so it feels good."

What he should have said there is 'everbody in Hawaii is nice except for Bob Allenby's kidnappers', but there we have it. Laugh

https://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/kirk-fancied-for-fast-start/157092
Report Hank Hill January 10, 2019 4:57 PM GMT
welcome back meng. Rhino how about Clemson - Lawrence is going to be a monster in the nfl - and to think he can't be drafted for another 2 years!
Report toberaheena January 10, 2019 5:15 PM GMT
Spent a lot of time following the European Tour in 2018.   What I took out of it was the emergence of more and more Asians making the grade. If I am correct, it should continue across the Atlantic but may take more than 1 season. Just a thought. Im keeping my tipping to myself as it was so poor last season and do not want to steer decent punters away from good bets.
Report Total Bosman January 10, 2019 6:45 PM GMT
Not much sign of the usual birdie fest so far.  Can't see much in the weather forecast to explain it.
Report Total Bosman January 10, 2019 8:52 PM GMT
15 pars on the bounce for Abraham, wish I'd known that was the plan before I backed him.
Report therhino January 10, 2019 9:08 PM GMT
16 pars now Plain am more surprised by Woodland, had him as a cert to contend this week.
Report therhino January 10, 2019 9:09 PM GMT
Lawrence is pretty special Hank. Would be the no 1 pick if he went now, 2 more years is nuts.
Report Hank Hill January 10, 2019 9:34 PM GMT
Don't get me wrong - great rd so far, but Putnam seems very low here for a Thursday.
Report Hank Hill January 10, 2019 9:36 PM GMT
I just hope he doesn't get a bad injury before he can step out on a Sunday rhino.
Report Total Bosman January 10, 2019 9:38 PM GMT
Favourites group seem to be negatively inspiring each other.  No sign of improvement from Jordan, if anything he's still going backwards.
Report Hank Hill January 10, 2019 9:44 PM GMT
Yeah, not what he was hoping for here at all. What do we make of Woodland's rd? psychological damage from last tourny or just a bad day at the office?
Report Total Bosman January 10, 2019 9:49 PM GMT
Just been missing putts from the get go.  Could be a hangover from Sunday, but that's just sometimes what you get from Gary.  Nice finish from Abraham, normally -2 is a poor round here but scoring not that hot so far so looks OK.
Report Total Bosman January 10, 2019 10:03 PM GMT
Jordan is the guy to worry about.  Last season he was poor by his standards, but at the moment he's poor by anyone's standards.  Long way back to the top 10 with so many top quality players making their way up the rankings.
Report Total Bosman January 11, 2019 2:21 AM GMT
Been a huge advantage for the late starters, didn't see anything in the forecast to indicate such a big difference.
Report Hank Hill January 11, 2019 7:16 PM GMT
59 upcoming for kuch - time for a forum curse
Report mengmeng January 11, 2019 7:30 PM GMT
dam you hank !you did him in
Report Hank Hill January 11, 2019 7:31 PM GMT
haha yeah well, I need him to bugger off as I have layed him
Report mengmeng January 11, 2019 8:17 PM GMT
the hole must be looking like a dustbin for kooch this week
Report Hank Hill January 11, 2019 8:23 PM GMT
Yep, hopefully back to normal for the w/e JT seems to be struggling. Leishman prob my best hope right now.
Report Total Bosman January 11, 2019 8:28 PM GMT
Leishman and Kuchar reds for me, not been a good half hour.
Report mengmeng January 11, 2019 8:30 PM GMT
leishman water
Report Total Bosman January 11, 2019 8:57 PM GMT
Draining them all.
Report Total Bosman January 11, 2019 9:04 PM GMT
3 hole outs from the fairway for Chez?  Surely not?
Report mengmeng January 11, 2019 9:06 PM GMT
chez revie..3 holeouts from fairway this round! madness
Report Hank Hill January 11, 2019 9:19 PM GMT
I know Kuch is a fan of a top 10 but not even he will mess this one up. Writing this one off - not a great start to the season for me Sad
Report mengmeng January 11, 2019 9:20 PM GMT
his average score around here is about -4 a round so if hekeeps playing his normal game he is gonna be hard to beat. really likes this course by all accounts
Report lewisham ranger January 11, 2019 9:37 PM GMT
too early in the tournament to get scared of one player

I know kuchar closed out his last tournament but he has a history of mental fragility.
Report therhino January 12, 2019 2:31 AM GMT
Wonder how long Greller keeps his job if Jordan can't turn it around. Way it goes these days. Looks a shell of his former self.
Report Total Bosman January 12, 2019 3:49 AM GMT
T55 - MC - MC to start there year.  Always been many more technically gifted players out there but Jordan beat them with mental strength and a superhuman ability to get the ball in the hole when it mattered (usually just after I'd laid him).  If that's gone I don't know how you get it back, not sure a caddy change would do much.  These aren't the tournaments that'll define his career so probably shouldn't over-react but when your greatest strengths are gone and your weaknesses remain it's pretty worrying.
Report lewisham ranger January 12, 2019 10:53 AM GMT
greller will get another year. if 2019 is like 2018 for Spieth then most likely he's gone. but I don't think the problem is greller. the problem is Spieth.

still one of the players to beat in the majors. was playing gash going into the 2018 masters and still nearly won it. each-way bet to nothing at augusta for me. came in the top five in four of the last five masters, and either won or went very close to winning on each occasion. even the year he finished outside the top five he was very close to the lead going into the sunday. a standing dish at augusta.

as for this week you could put it down to rustiness, played much better in round two.
Report lewisham ranger January 12, 2019 10:59 AM GMT
If that's gone I don't know how you get it back, not sure a caddy change would do much.

slightly over-egging it there bosman, do you really think spiffy is finished? Confused

admittedly his poor form has gone on for longer than most. but part of the problem is what he achieved so young. he set the bar really high for himself.

think his recent woes might come down to having made some of the bigger accomplishments so early, the masters and then the open. winning the two biggest prizes in golf might have lead to a waning of desire, either that or it's the complete opposite and he's trying too hard.

find it hard to believe he won't turn it around in the next few months. a great player can't play badly forever.
Report jedi sophie January 12, 2019 11:31 AM GMT
A great player can play badly forever. Or not get to a level they were at previously.

There are plenty around who thought he could not sustain his success the way he hit the golf ball,short game wizard with genius on greens for 5 years,while literally hitting it sideways.

Carried fortune many many times. Too many good players now.

I doubt he gets back to where he was,but I've stated that on here plenty,and he kept winning.
Never dominates that's for sure,never....
Report lewisham ranger January 12, 2019 12:57 PM GMT
A great player can play badly forever. Or not get to a level they were at previously.

very rare and in cases where it's happened (baker finch, duval) it's normally happened later in their careers.

there's a saying- form is temporary, class is permanent. very relevant in this case.

and for all the talk of Spieth's poor ball-striking, didn't he lead the tour in strokes gained on approach a couple of seasons ago?
Report Mighty Whites 2008 January 12, 2019 1:44 PM GMT
Spieth is only 25 and already has 14 wins including three majors. Many would be happy with that as a career.

At his best he compensates for his less than stellar ball striking with excellent course management a great short game and wonderful putting. He had a spell where his putting was phenomenal (think he was holing 25% of 20 - 30 footers at one time) as many said at the time that was never going to continue.

His biggest concern must be his biggest strength - his putting has become his biggest weakness. Last season was a disappointing year only 5 top tens in 24 starts and he must have been disappointed with his final round at the open.

He is still young enough to come again but has to sort his putting if that doesn't happen then he will continue to struggle. He is barely clinging on top the world top 20 and once you start falling it can be hard to stop just look at how Luke Donald fell away.
Report mengmeng January 12, 2019 3:33 PM GMT
i am adding Leishman to my bets as i think he is the mostrealistic danger to Kuchar, i dont ancy Putnam to keep it going. Tho Kuchars play does seem to be a carbon copy of Mayakoba so i think he must be feeling very good about his game right now and much more relaxed than he would have been if he hadn't won recently. i get a feeling this could be a big year for Kuchar and that he could get into the form of his life the same way Stricker did a little while back. Even in his interviews he seems much more positive and confident.
Report bearcub January 12, 2019 8:21 PM GMT
test
Report Total Bosman January 12, 2019 10:14 PM GMT
Lewisham - when I said "If that's gone I don't know how you get it back" I didn't mean I was writing the guy off.  What is I mean is that, more than anyone else since Tiger, Spieth's greatest strength was an X-factor rather than technical excellence.  Not only did he make more chips and  long putts than anyone, but he was more likely to make them the more important they were.  Whatever you call that - mental strength, willing it into the hole, being "clutch" or just pure confidence - it's not something you can learn or teach so I'm not sure how you get it back if it goes.

Of course he can come back, and probably will, but nothing in his game seems good at the moment so he might have further to fall first.  The guys in the top 10 look miles ahead of him and they are improving too.
Report lewisham ranger January 12, 2019 11:10 PM GMT
i'd still rather back him for the majors than most of the top ten.

Justin rose, dj, Molinari 1 major each. all mid thirties or older.
jon rahm, Bryson dechambeau, xander, tony finau, no majors.
tony finau only one win on tour which was a play-off against steve marino.

only brooks and rory have equal or more majors. not sure you could say rory is "improving fast"

possibly these are all improving fast or simply that they are in better form?
Report Total Bosman January 12, 2019 11:50 PM GMT
Didn't say anyone in particular was improving fast, but I'd say the overall standard required to be in the top 10 is improving due to the strength in depth in the game right now.  Standing still is going backwards right now, let alone getting worse as Jordan appears to be.  Doesn't just apply to him, of course.  Guys like Rickie, Day or even Rory can't take their spot at the top of the game for granted either and need to up their game.

Regarding majors, we'll see.  Maybe Jordan will get his X factor back when it matters most, and I wouldn't rule it out.  But he looks a long way off for now.
Report lewisham ranger January 12, 2019 11:59 PM GMT
true that standards are improving all the time.

also motivation plays a factor. two seasons ago we were hearing about how hard matsuyama was working on the game. now it's all dechambeau.

must admit that he seems to have jumped to the top of the list of "most likely person to win a major who hasn't already won a major"

i think when players are working really hard like bryson and getting the results as well a major is not long away. seems to be mentally strong too, and up there pretty much every week. would be surprised if he didn't win a major over the next two years.

the problems seems to be maintaining that motivation over time. with spieth, it seems to have tapered off.
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 12:04 AM GMT
Agreed, and I guess the motivation goes hand in hand with the enormous rewards they get these days.  It's also probably the case that Spieth has always been so good at every level he's played that he's never faced genuine adversity so this is probably the first time he's had to handle not getting the results he wants.

Agree completely re Bryson, now he's winning tournaments regularly it bodes well for a major.  I'd say the same for Schauffele who's quietly gone past far more famous players and seems to show no nerves when it comes to the business end.
Report lewisham ranger January 13, 2019 12:09 AM GMT
Maybe Jordan will get his X factor back when it matters most, and I wouldn't rule it out.  But he looks a long way off for now.

think you are being overly harsh on him though. only a few months ago he nearly won the masters. shot a very low final round, almost a course record, having been god knows how many shots behind and almost written off going into the final round.

at the open he was in the final group. traded as fav during the final round.

ultimately how these players are remembered is how they do in the majors. even last year, his worst year, he still competed well in the majors.
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 12:09 AM GMT
Funnily enough, Bryson this week seems to be doing something Jordan has made a habit of:  playing pretty mediocre for a couple of days but mounting a charge to still find a way into contention.  Problem for Jordan is you can't mount a Saturday charge at home on the sofa.
Report jedi sophie January 13, 2019 12:51 AM GMT
Spiffy love in from LR.Shock.ExcitedLaugh
Report jedi sophie January 13, 2019 12:51 AM GMT
Ricky up next.
Report Hank Hill January 13, 2019 1:31 AM GMT
Putnam's putter gone cold Sad
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 1:34 AM GMT
Bryson 63 with 5 missed putts inside 10 feet.  What might have been.
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 1:50 AM GMT
I'd got over my Keith Mitchell addiction but looks like I'll need to back him every week this year too.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 13, 2019 2:59 PM GMT
Catch Me ifyoucan • January 9, 2019 12:16 AM GMT
Kissire defends, Sneds, Kuchar, Woodland, Frittelli & Poulter on debut & Thomas may come into the equation after RD 1.

Expecting some one to come from the clouds (like last week) and do him Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 13, 2019 3:01 PM GMT
THREE 63's and FIVE 64's yesterday, so WIDE OPEN final round
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 13, 2019 3:14 PM GMT
Chez Reavie is the first player on record (since 1983) on the PGA TOUR with three eagles on par-4s in the same round - it's just the fifth time in the last five PGA Tour seasons that a player recorded three eagles in a single round.

Matt Kuchar needs one more T10 finish for 100 in his PGA Tour career. Only 4 players have 100 or more top-10s since Kuchar earned his 1st at the 2001 Air Canada Championship: Furyk, Woods, Mickelson and Singh.
Kuchar is the fifth player in the last ten PGA Tour seasons to open with consecutive 63s or better. Each of the previous four went on to win that week.
Matt has the two lowest 54-hole total scores on the PGA Tour this season: 192 this week and 193 at Mayakoba (won).

MAYBE Marc Leishman or Bryson DeChambeau (nibble both 66's ew 1-2) might give it a go for second place Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 13, 2019 3:59 PM GMT
MDF...
Dugas, Eric *
Champ, Cameron *
Dufner, Jason *
Stricker, Steve *
Trainer, Martin *
Hughes, Mackenzie *
O'Hair, Sean *
Schnell, Brady *
Woodland, Gary *
Garber, Joey *
Report mengmeng January 13, 2019 6:52 PM GMT
as it stands right now my best result is 1st Leishman ,2nd Kuchar, then failing that Kuchar winning is second best followed by Putnam winning and Kuchar top 5. worst resultpossible for me now is Kuchar to finish outside top 5 which leaves an overall profit of 10/1 return on stake. So a good week but all made possible by Kuchar being at the top end from the get go.

good luck with your bets!
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 10:21 PM GMT
Hopefully when Kuch is holding the trophy someone has the nerve to ask him how much he paid the local caddie at Mayakoba.
Report mengmeng January 13, 2019 10:32 PM GMT
was he not very generous ?
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 10:34 PM GMT
Rumour is he paid him a flat $3000 and no win bonus.  Regular caddie would have got over $100,000.
Report mengmeng January 13, 2019 10:37 PM GMT
i would have thought it would have been 10% or whatever they pay a caddy as a win bomus, if thats true and it was just $3k thats disgracful
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 11:05 PM GMT
I can see why the percentage might be less for a local than a touring caddie, but you've got to give the guy something. 5% would've been serious money for the guy.
Report mengmeng January 13, 2019 11:09 PM GMT
i would even say lifchanging amount for him
Report Hank Hill January 13, 2019 11:11 PM GMT
I hope the rumour isn't true, but there is a reason rich people stay rich Sad
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 11:18 PM GMT
Seen a few tweets suggesting it wouldn't be out of character, so maybe the Mr Nice Guy thing is an act.
Report Hank Hill January 13, 2019 11:27 PM GMT
kuch slapped that quite a way by - Putnam must have got scared off and is well short Sad
Report Hank Hill January 13, 2019 11:28 PM GMT
wow a proper pull there from kuch
Report Hank Hill January 13, 2019 11:37 PM GMT
kuch giving me some hope here, but will no doubt pull it around and win
Report Total Bosman January 13, 2019 11:38 PM GMT
Kuch looks shaky.  Where's El Toucan when you need him?
Report Hank Hill January 13, 2019 11:45 PM GMT
Could have been a 2 shot swing there, but I'll take the one. 3 bogeys thru 5 is hard to shake off - I just hope Putnam stays solid.
Report Hank Hill January 14, 2019 12:27 AM GMT
TB you still around? either the par 5 kick starts kuch or he stays in a struggling rd - the latter I hope!
Report Total Bosman January 14, 2019 12:31 AM GMT
Yeah, these two have let a lot of guys into it, but could pull away again at 9.  Got nice positions on Leish, Swaff, T-Pot or Bryson so hoping they stay in neutral for an exciting finish.
Report Hank Hill January 14, 2019 12:40 AM GMT
where was this from Leishman yday? Sad
Report lewisham ranger January 14, 2019 12:49 AM GMT
can't believe this new rule about leaving the flag in on putts... ruins the game for me.
Report lewisham ranger January 14, 2019 12:51 AM GMT
didn't kuchar blank that sky sports commentator when he tried to interview him during us open prep last year? thought that revealed his true colours. others were happy to talk.
Report mengmeng January 14, 2019 12:53 AM GMT
huge putt from kooch there
Report Total Bosman January 14, 2019 12:58 AM GMT
Couple of birdies at the 10th here and my good ones are a long way back.  Least the Saints won.
Report Hank Hill January 14, 2019 1:01 AM GMT
yeah meng, even though he played a poor shot to the bunker that birdie will shake him up I think. All 4 home teams won TB - at least the nfl will soften the kuch blow for me - also Aus open just started Happy
Report mengmeng January 14, 2019 1:08 AM GMT
i was beginning to think kooch wasnt even going to finish top5, that makes a big dent in my winnings, so that putt at 9 was massive for my happiness at any rate
Report Hank Hill January 14, 2019 1:15 AM GMT
and I'd say that's ballgame for me. Putnam gave me some hope for the front 9. Off to watch the tennis instead. I'll check in later to see kuch hose up by 3 I should think.
Report Total Bosman January 14, 2019 1:20 AM GMT
Guy can putt.
Report Total Bosman January 14, 2019 1:22 AM GMT
Good work with the early concession, Hank, did the job.
Report mengmeng January 14, 2019 1:24 AM GMT
hank has a knack for it, uncanny
Report mengmeng January 14, 2019 1:26 AM GMT
potter having a mare
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now