Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mighty Whites 2008
07 Aug 11 15:21
| Topic/replies: 77,979 | Blogger: Mighty Whites 2008's blog
After the successful Luke Donald express reached its destination it is time for a thread for his successor as world number 1.

Currently languishing at number 28 in the rankings but it won't be long before Tiger is back at the top of the tree.

His current ranking score 3.49 is misleading as he has only played 30 events and the score is determined by dividing by 40 events. His actual ranking should be 15th with an average of 4.66. Any how that will be soon be rectified.

Enjoy the ride as the greatest soars back to his rightful position as world number 1.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View ***Tiger Woods Express Destination...
Show More
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 6, 2015 8:41 PM BST
Tiger Woods had the best proximity mark of his career (23'-11") at Greenbrier. Also was first in field for 6th time. (since '03)
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 18, 2015 8:13 PM BST
Jack missed the cut in 3 of his first 4 Majors.....then only 6 more till he won 18.

Tiger only had 1 MC vs 14 Majors.....now 3 of last 4.
Report padlock July 18, 2015 8:40 PM BST
Oh shut up hazel ffs
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 18, 2015 8:48 PM BST
Agreed Laugh
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 20, 2015 9:47 PM BST
cant flog the dead horse any longer its time to decommission express.

Think Tiger is finished

Cry
Report donny osmond July 20, 2015 10:13 PM BST
theres still some hope, but the short game is suffering from lack of golf

putting remains a worry

it was great to see him so happy on the course during the champions challenge at st andrews
Report kincsem July 22, 2015 8:30 PM BST
149th for Tiger.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 31, 2015 6:13 PM BST
Fire up the engine...

Signs of life at last 11 under for the last 32!
Report terry mccann July 31, 2015 9:11 PM BST
I might just have hit the nail on the head with my comment last Monday about maybe tiger might be inspired to play better after Jason days win,good buddys and days win was certainly in a tiger style of old
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 3, 2015 5:04 PM BST
moving back in the right direction 266 to 262!
Report Mike-lfc August 4, 2015 10:53 AM BST
YOU CAN DO IT TIGER. I WILL BE PUTTING A TENNER ON YOU EVERY MAJOR TILL YOU DO
Report racingguru August 10, 2015 7:00 AM BST
#278 now and unless TW has a very good PGA his season is done and has to fall outside the top 300. Never thought I'd see this day Surprised
Report racingguru August 17, 2015 1:32 AM BST
#285 - I don't think they bother listing them beyond top 300 so that will be an end to the misery.
Report therhino August 20, 2015 10:14 PM BST
64 ShockedExcited
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 21, 2015 11:36 AM BST
Lets hope for another today
Report racingguru August 24, 2015 5:00 PM BST
Up to #257 for the time being.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 24, 2015 6:53 PM BST
surging up the rankings! with 6 weeks off it is hard to see how he stays in the top 300 short term.

Some good signs this week hopefully he will work hard over the next six weeks and then play regularly in the autumn.
Report kincsem September 9, 2015 10:13 AM BST
272nd
Report paddletoe September 9, 2015 10:15 PM BST
More chance of David Duvall getting back to world number 1.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 September 10, 2015 9:19 PM BST
Mighty Whites 2008    07 Aug 11 15:21 
After the successful Luke Donald express reached its destination it is time for a thread for his successor as world number 1.

Currently languishing at number 28 in the rankings but it won't be long before Tiger is back at the top of the tree.

His current ranking score 3.49 is misleading as he has only played 30 events and the score is determined by dividing by 40 events. His actual ranking should be 15th with an average of 4.66. Any how that will be soon be rectified.

Enjoy the ride as the greatest soars back to his rightful position as world number 1.

therhino    25 Mar 13 20:24 
Wasn't quite an express, but got there in the end.
Mighty Whites 2008    26 Mar 13 21:40 
bit harsh Rhino

From world number 50 to world number 1 in 29 events.

Tiger should manage to stretch his lead once he gets up to playing the 40 counting events.

Think you missed the point here paddletoe. The Tiger Woods express like its predecessor the Luke Donald express reached its destination.

I think most people realise it is highly unlikely he will return to the top spot again
Report therhino September 19, 2015 4:16 AM BST
More surgery, and no more events for 2015, with a probable delay to competition to 2016 Sad

Still can't write him off, but maintaining the faith gets harder all the time.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 September 19, 2015 10:17 AM BST
The surgery is on his back again. I can't think of many golfers/ sportsmen who have had multiple back surgery and returned to the top.

I think this is the beginning of the end.
Report racingguru September 20, 2015 1:22 AM BST
Its very sad but we have been very blessed to have seen him at his best and all the golfers owe him a great deal for giving the game the profile and with it the prize money it has now.

But as for his playing competitively and winning especially majors, I'm sad to say as a fan those days are done but 14 is still pretty amazing.
Report donny osmond September 20, 2015 1:17 PM BST
had tiger not been around then the legacy of those before him would have been lost, some awful
players about, and there was even a time when watching jack and co on the seniors tour was bigger
box office

the current lot owe tiger a huge amount
Report therhino December 1, 2015 11:58 PM GMT
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14267487/tiger-woods-nowhere-return-golf

Doesn't sound good Sad He also said he has nothing to look forward to SadSad

"I think pretty much everything beyond this will be gravy," he said. "I've passed Jack on the all-time win list (79 to 73), just shy of Sam (Snead, 82). I passed Sam basically a decade ago (and everyone else) in major championships but I'm still shy of Jack's. So I've had a pretty good career for my 20s and 30s. For my 20 years out here, I think I've achieved a lot, and if that's all it entails, then I've had a pretty good run.

"But I'm hoping that's not it. I'm hoping that I can get back out here and compete against these guys. I really do miss it. But if that's not the case anymore, then I'll find other avenues, that being growing my foundation, golf course design and other projects I have going on right now that will certainly take up more of my time."
Report happyhibee December 2, 2015 4:55 PM GMT
My all time sporting hero. Redefined the game and his presence brought millions of dollars worth of sponsorship to the tour.

If he never lifts a club again then fair enough but I'd rather see that than him come back and miss cuts whilst never looking like winning
Report Knight Rider December 25, 2015 3:49 PM GMT
Assuming Tiger is finished at the top level, it's amazing to think that he won his final major at age 32.  That's when a lot of players are just hitting their prime.  But golf is unpredictable like that; Tom Watson won his last major at 33, and Seve was only 31. 

So when people talk about McIlroy or Spieth winning 15-20 majors it's longevity that seems to be the biggest hurdle.  Injury, personal problems, or just losing your driving/putting can derail things pretty quickly.
Report kincsem December 26, 2015 7:03 PM GMT
Or the next wunderkid comes along, some 16 year old we have not heard about.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 December 1, 2016 8:45 AM GMT
Time to fire up those engines

choo choo
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 2, 2016 7:45 PM GMT
For you & xmoney

https://twitter.com/GCTigerTracker
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 2, 2016 8:18 PM GMT
Tiger's 40 greatest numerical records. When it comes to the complete demolition of a respective sport’s record book, Tiger Woods has few rivals.

Babe Ruth ended his Major League Baseball career with 714 home runs. Before Ruth, baseball’s all-time home run leader was Roger Connor, with 138. In 1920, Ruth hit 54 home runs, which at the time, shattered his own single-season record by 25. Only one other TEAM besides the Yankees hit that many home runs that season. Yet, to say that Ruth has as staggering a resume as Woods is a disservice to Tiger. It may take decades, but someday, people will look at Tiger’s prime years as possibly the most dominant, relatively speaking, by any one athlete in the history of sports.
Narrowing down Tiger’s greatest statistical achievements to just 40 is as entertaining as it is arduous. The goal, as Woods turns 40 years old, was to illuminate a few of the numbers that go beyond the standards everyone knows – 14 (major wins), 79 (PGA Tour wins) and 15 (margin of victory at the 2000 U.S. Open).

Revel in the insanity that has been Tiger’s historic greatness for the better part of 20 years:

40. Woods won 32 times on the PGA Tour from 1999 through 2003. No other player won more than eight times in that span.
39. From the 1999 PGA Championship through the 2002 U.S. Open, Woods won seven of the 11 majors contested. Woods was a cumulative 94 under par in those tournaments – 60 shots better than any other player.

38. Woods won 10 majors before his 30th birthday. Since the first Masters was held in 1934, the only player to even win five majors before turning 30 was Jack Nicklaus, who won seven.
37. On that note: today, there is currently only one player with double-digit PGA Tour wins (not majors, just regular victories) under age 30: Rory McIlroy.

36. In majors from 1997 through 2008, Tiger recorded 34 different rounds of 67 or better. No other player had more than 16 such rounds in that span.
35. Woods won 46 times in his 20s, 16 more than any other player in PGA Tour history (Nicklaus, again, is second). During the time Woods was in his 20s, the player with the second-most victories before age 30 was David Duval, with 13.

34. Woods was a combined 82 under at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational from 1999 through 2009 – 49 shots better than anyone else in that span. Tiger has racked up $11 million in official earnings in that event alone – more than six times what Arnold Palmer earned in his entire PGA Tour career.
33. Woods has a career scoring average of 70.86 in the Masters. That is the best career scoring average in that event for any player with at least 50 rounds played. Woods’ 11 top-five finishes in the Masters is second all-time to Nicklaus.

32. During the 2000 PGA Tour season, Woods recorded one round higher than 73. It came in the first round of the Masters. He shot 75, on a day when the field averaged 75.59.
31. Tiger has won the Vardon Trophy (lowest scoring average on Tour) nine times, four more than any other player (Billy Casper, Lee Trevino). The trophy has been awarded since 1937.

30. Woods has earned more than $110 million in official earnings in his PGA Tour career. The year before he turned pro, the Tour’s all-time career earnings leader was Greg Norman – at $9.59 million.
29. Tiger was a combined 53 under in the majors in 2000. That was 35 shots better than anyone else that year. Though Jordan Spieth broke Woods’ season scoring mark in 2015 (he was a combined 54 under in the majors), he was just 19 shots better than his closest competitor, Jason Day (-35).

28. There are five instances in PGA Tour history where a player won a single PGA Tour event seven or more times. Woods owns four of them. Sam Snead, who won in Greensboro eight times, is the only other player to do it once.
27. Woods has spent 683 weeks as world No. 1 – 352 weeks (more than six years) more than any other player in OWGR history (Greg Norman is second).

26. A player has won a major championship with a score of 18 under or better eight times. Tiger owns five of those eight instances.
25. Woods is, of course, the only man in the modern era to win four consecutive majors – a feat known as the Tiger Slam. The last of Tiger’s four straight major wins came at age 25. The only other players in the modern era to even win four career majors (not consecutive) at age 25 or younger are Jack Nicklaus and Rory McIlroy.

24. Woods is the only player in history to win the U.S. Junior Amateur, U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open in his career. He won three of each.
23. Woods has won nine USGA Championships in his career, tied with Bobby Jones for most all-time. Woods won the 2000 U.S. Open by 15 shots. No other player in the last 100 years has won a U.S. Open by more than nine shots.

22. From 2002-05, Woods had 1,540 putts from 3 feet and in on the PGA Tour. He only missed three of them.
21. Woods completed the career Grand Slam at age 24. Not only is he the youngest player to win the slam, only five other players in the last 50 years have won a major at age 24 or younger.
20. There have only been two instances since 1900 where a player won a major championship by 10 strokes or more. Woods owns both of those instances (1997 Masters, 2000 U.S. Open).

19. Woods is the only player in the PGA Championship’s stroke-play era to win the tournament in consecutive years. He’s done it twice.
18. Tiger is 16-1 in his career in playoffs on the PGA and European tours. His only defeat came to Billy Mayfair at the 1998 Nissan Open.
17. Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Year has been awarded since 1954. Woods is the only athlete to win the award more than once (1996, 2000).

16. Tiger has held the outright 54-hole lead 45 times in his PGA Tour career. He went on to win 43 of them, good for a 95.6 percent clip. For context - over the last three PGA Tour seasons, players with an outright 54-hole lead have gone on to win 39.7 percent of the time.
15. Tiger has held the outright 36-hole lead 33 times in his Tour career. He went on to win 28 of them (84.8 percent). In comparison, Jack Nicklaus’ 36-hole outright conversion rate was 63 percent.
14. Tiger’s 46 PGA Tour wins before he turned 30 would be eighth on the overall all-time wins list – one ahead of Walter Hagen.

13. Woods has missed 15 cuts on the PGA Tour as a professional. Spieth has missed 13. Spieth was three years old when Tiger turned pro.
12. Adjusted scoring averages have been calculated on the PGA Tour since 1988. There are six instances where a player’s season adjusted scoring average was better than 68.6. They all belong to Woods.
11. Woods has won 14 major championships. No other player currently age 40 or younger has more than 12 career regular PGA Tour wins (Zach Johnson, who turns 40 in February, has 12).

10. Speaking of Zach - Tiger’s 79 Tour wins are 67 more than any other player currently 40 or younger. There are seven other players age 40 or younger with at least eight career PGA Tour wins. Those players – Johnson, Adam Scott, McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia, Geoff Ogilvy and Bubba Watson – have 67 wins combined.
9. Woods is credited with 40 career wins on the European Tour, third-most all-time. Woods has never played a full season on the European Tour.
8. Tiger is the only player since World War II to win a PGA Tour event four straight years. He did it two different times.

7. Tiger is the only player in PGA Tour history to win eight or more times on a single course. He has done it on three different courses.
6. Tiger has won five straight PGA Tour starts three different times. Over the last 60 years, he is the only player to do it once.
5. From 1997 through 2008, Woods led or co-led following any round in a major 42 different times. Second on the list in that span was Phil Mickelson – with 13. Woods won 14 majors in that span.

4. Tiger has 18 career World Golf Championship victories. Second on the all-time list? Ogilvy. He has three.

3. Woods had 142 consecutive PGA Tour events without missing a cut, from 1998-2005. That is 29 more than the second-longest streak in the Tour’s history (Byron Nelson, 113 in a row). There are only four other such streaks even half as long as Woods’.

2. In a stretch from the middle of the 1999 season through the middle of the 2001 season, Woods won 20 of the 38 stroke-play events he played on the Tour (a .526 win percentage). In those events, Woods was a combined 472 under, a cumulative score 307 shots better than anyone else. Vijay Singh was second.

1. From 1997 through 2008, Woods was a combined 126 under par in majors. There are 138 other players who played at least 40 rounds in major championships in that span. Among that group, Woods was a staggering 189 shots better than anyone else. Second on the list: Joe Ogilvie, at 63 over.
Report lewisham ranger December 2, 2016 10:05 PM GMT
Nice facts CMIC and the truth of the matter is you don't win 14 majors if you don't have something seriously special about you

I think Tiger is interesting in the Majors this year. Think the US open could be too much of a grind for this version of Tiger but he's going for his 20th anniversary at the Masters and he finished 3rd on his only visit to Royal Birkdale in 1998. Americans have won 5 out of the last eight opens at that venue.
Report donny osmond December 3, 2016 12:20 PM GMT
might want some decent weather to contend at an open

and after this week the books wont be so generous

masters might be a good chance as history suggests its
a course that holds its form

the biggest proviso is that the short game holds up

there would be nothing better over the next 5 years
or so than a fit tiger contending with the new brigade
Report lewisham ranger December 3, 2016 1:16 PM GMT
southport isn't scotland.
Report kincsem December 3, 2016 4:24 PM GMT
Finished 2nd to Tiger Woods in 14 Majors

Rocco Mediate
Woody Austin
Shaun Micheel
Chris DiMarco
Colin Montgomerie
Chris DiMarco
Phil Mickelson *
Retief Goosen *
David Duval *
Bob May
Thomas Bjorn
Miguel Angel Jiminez / Ernie Els *
Sergio Garcia
Tom Kite *

* Major winners
Report Total Bosman December 3, 2016 5:46 PM GMT
Know it's early days and this isn't the toughest track, but this seriously promising stuff after so long out (and how bad he was pre-injury).  If Tiger can mix it up with the rest of the world class players at the top of the game we've got some season ahead.
Report lewisham ranger December 3, 2016 8:31 PM GMT
unfortunately the short game problems are still there. putting isn't the greatest under pressure and seems to make some strange decisions around the greens. that would be worrying for the masters if he's trying to put everything that's off the green instead of chipping it.Sad

I think he can put everything together over a weekend to win one more major in the rest of his career but hard to believe he'll win four or more.
Report lewisham ranger December 3, 2016 8:45 PM GMT

Total Bosman 03 Dec 16 17:46 Joined: 15 Dec 04 | Topic/replies: 3,300 | Blogger: Total Bosman's blog
Know it's early days and this isn't the toughest track, but this seriously promising stuff after so long out (and how bad he was pre-injury).  If Tiger can mix it up with the rest of the world class players at the top of the game we've got some season ahead.

commentators were saying something similar, but how promising is it? he was like this before his break. Ok there were many times when he was seriously worse, but the times he contended he would do something similar to what he's done here, get into contention, then putting would break down, chipping was patchy, etc.

Still a great player but riddled with huge weaknesses in his game and I wonder now if the time he took off was more really just a sign of desperation, than anything else
Report Total Bosman December 3, 2016 9:23 PM GMT
I think you're kind of forgetting just how bad he was before the break, to me the basics all look much better.  He's played well for a guy who's been out for that long, run out of steam a couple of days but that's to be expected I think.  Probably another couple of months til we see him again and so plenty of time to improve.  I doubt in this era he can get back to being the BEST, but after this long out, and the problems he had before, at this stage just holding his own against guys of this calibre is grounds for optimism.
Report brain dead jockeys December 3, 2016 9:41 PM GMT
he is 3 behind sam snead in PGA tour wins and getting past that should be his goal. there are plenty of events in the year which attract weak fields on easy courses and tiger could take some of those events. he needs to have a diff mindset now........i give him zero chance of 4 more majors but 4 more PGA events is a possibility.
Report Total Bosman December 3, 2016 9:52 PM GMT
We've seen how much Augusta rewards experience and that old guys can contend there.  I'd say he's got at least one more Masters in him if he can keep playing.  4 might be a stretch, but I honestly don't feel you can rule it out.  Guy's spent his whole life achieve things mere mortals shouldn't be able to.
Report brain dead jockeys December 3, 2016 9:59 PM GMT
too right bosman.........u can never right someone like tiger off.........mastered the most skilful sport in the world like no one else..........greatest sports performer in history for me. no contest.
Report lewisham ranger December 3, 2016 10:20 PM GMT
I think you're kind of forgetting just how bad he was before the break,

I haven't forgotten at all actually. He completely stunk the place out in most tournaments he was in and was regularly tailed off.

Yes this is improvement but really it reminds me of the Tiger who was contending in the period for 2008-2014, he would be in contention but then poor putting or just rank bad play would take him out just as fast.

Which suggests to me that he has some kind of mental block once he gets in or around the lead. It's strange to think the most mentally tough player in the history of the game has a mental block, but that is how it is.

It also isn't convincing how he is approaching some of these shots in and around the green. Which again seems linked to this mental block. But yes encouraging signs overall so wouldn't write him off for next year
Report trebor December 3, 2016 10:22 PM GMT
Snead's record should not count, and I would not be surprised if his number of victories gets lowered at some time.
5 of his victory's was with a partner, another was a 18 hole event, 3 where 36 hole events and another 5 had no more then 16 players in the event.
Report kincsem December 4, 2016 4:16 PM GMT
Total Bosman
We've seen how much Augusta rewards experience and that old guys can contend there.

Or it is a much smaller field packed with all previous winners, and with half a dozen amateurs.
Report brain dead jockeys December 4, 2016 6:53 PM GMT
not going well
Report kincsem December 30, 2016 6:18 PM GMT
Tiger Woods 41 today, and nine years since he won a major.
Report lewisham ranger December 30, 2016 7:10 PM GMT
Mark O Meara was 41 when he won at Royal Birkdale Cool
Report racingguru January 2, 2017 11:52 AM GMT
Well Tiger was ranked 898 a few weeks back so 652 is progress.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 January 5, 2017 11:03 PM GMT
interesting blog from tiger

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2017/01/05/212899716/tigers-blog-my-goal-remains-to-win/?tcid=tw_article_212899716
Report Mighty Whites 2008 November 29, 2017 10:12 PM GMT
After nearly a year getting urgent much needed repairs the express is less than twenty-four hours from firing up and starting the greatest comeback in the history of sport.

Currently world number 1199 the only way is up.

To quote the great man from 21 years ago 'I've heard i'm not ready for you, the question is are you ready for me'

Let the greatest show on earth roll once more!
Report racingguru December 4, 2017 5:04 AM GMT
1199 to 668 in one week - come on Tiger. Top 100 by the Masters? Too much to hope for?
Report donny osmond December 4, 2017 1:10 PM GMT
cantlay went from 1866 to 42 last season, so its not impossible
Report kincsem December 4, 2017 4:41 PM GMT
Hope springs eternal in the human breast
Report racingguru December 5, 2017 1:00 AM GMT
Hope he plays a lot, nothing better than reps after the last few years he's had. I think for once there is cause for optimism as the speed is there and doesn't look like an old man swing protecting his back. Short game especially chipping look a problem and difficult to know whether that is rustiness or yips that might never go away.
Report therhino February 26, 2018 11:46 AM GMT
Moved up 155 spots this week to 389. If he keeps that pace up, will be no 1 in 3 weeks Cool
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 26, 2018 6:32 PM GMT
Up 800 spots in three months!

Very impressive at the Honda,

Fastest club head speed

Longest off the tee

Best proximity to the pin

The signs are looking good

Choo Choo
Report therhino February 27, 2018 9:03 AM GMT
Bay Hill price Mighty? Go on have a stab. I'll estimate something around the 17s mark.
Report sewter lives again February 27, 2018 10:38 AM GMT
His game is in unbelievably good condition.

iron play last week was great esp distance control,
putting mostly very good-just the odd blip,
chipping getting better all the time
better off the tee too

The only thing I was worried about was when Tiger was asked about forthcoming plans-he said something like "back to the gym for some hard work". I hope he doesn't overdo the gym stuff.
Report zafonic1515 February 27, 2018 11:55 AM GMT
Wonderful to see Tiger back, a true great of Sport.
Best player I've ever seen, comfortably.
My only concern from weekend was when truly under the gun, ie at 15,17 Tec, he really really hit some very very poor shots.
Clearly not fully trusting himself.

Augusta really punish him if can't address that. It did the last time he was up there .
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 27, 2018 9:18 PM GMT
Think thats a bit harsh zaf

on 17 he birdied on saturday and hit a good shot on sunday into the heart of the green

on 15 on sunday he was firing at the pin and was a couple of yards right of the target.

Not sure what price he will go off rhino will depend who else is in the field. Bay Hill not an over popular destination. The market stayed higher than I thought it would on saturday when he was going well so think there are a few yet to be convinced.

It will be interesting to see if he plays valspar. Personally think he would benefit from a couple more starts prior to the masters.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 2, 2018 8:07 PM GMT
Tiger commits to the Valspar and AP Invitational

Great news a couple more competitive events should help him sharpen up for the masters. Also shows the back is holding up well
Report kincsem March 3, 2018 3:35 PM GMT
Is he doing the ceremonial tee-off? Devil
Report xmoneyx March 10, 2018 11:13 PM GMT
ttt
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 12, 2018 6:20 PM GMT
Another superb week for Tiger on the comeback trail only disappointment is it wasn't a win.

Up to 149 in the OWGR

Choo Choo
Rhino can I have some of the 17s you were mentioning for the AP Invitational
Rhino can I have some of the 17s you were mentioning for the AP Invitational
Report therhino March 12, 2018 9:03 PM GMT
It would be nice wouldn't it. Of course, that was post Honda - had he not played last week think it would have been about right.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 19, 2018 3:37 PM GMT
Another good week for tiger up to 105 in OWGR

90% of the job done in 3 months

choo choo
Report mengmeng March 19, 2018 4:39 PM GMT
we will be seeing him in WGC events soon
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 5, 2018 8:29 AM BST
Surprised not to see a ((((TIGER WINS THE MASTERS)))) thread tbh Devil
Report Mighty Whites 2008 April 10, 2018 6:41 PM BST
Back in top the top 100 as express reaches the destination of two fat ladies - number 88
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 10, 2018 10:17 PM BST
Most PGA Tour wins by players currently under age 45.....

Tiger overall - 79
Tiger WGCs - 18
Dustin Johnson - 17
Tiger in Florida - 16
Tiger Majors - 14
Tiger in California - 14
Rory McIlroy - 13
Tiger in Ohio -13
Adam Scott - 13
Zach Johnson - 12
Report donny osmond May 11, 2018 9:24 AM BST
tiger has played 11 events since his comeback and is currently top 100 in world rankings

if you work out his true average ranking he is just outside top 10 at 5.53 points per event
Report Mighty Whites 2008 May 14, 2018 5:19 PM BST
more magic over the weekend from the goat shame he dunked it on 17 cost him a top five finish.

Up to 80 in the world now next step the top 50
Report donny osmond May 14, 2018 11:51 PM BST
true average of 5.77 now would put him 11th !
Report therhino May 15, 2018 3:44 AM BST
Next up Muirfield Village. Apparently he likes it there.

Has made qualifying for the Firestone send off a big priority, how he makes it.
Report therhino May 15, 2018 3:51 AM BST
* hope
Report zafonic1515 May 15, 2018 9:33 PM BST
Found the big announcement would play in The Open a tad strange.
Of course he plays FFS....
Report firstimevisor May 15, 2018 10:40 PM BST
Donny, I'm pretty certain Tiger has played only 8 events since his comeback in December.
Report donny osmond May 16, 2018 9:52 AM BST
THE PLAYERS Championship    USA    19    2018    T11    8.60    1    8.6    80th
Wells Fargo Championship    USA    18    2018    T55    1.20    1    1.2    92nd
Masters Tournament    MAJ    14    2018    T32    4.15    1    4.15    88th
Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard    USA    11    2018    T5    12.76    1    12.76    105th
Valspar Championship    USA    10    2018    T2    26.00    1    26    149th
The Honda Classic    USA    8    2018    12    6.24    1    6.24    389th
Genesis Open    USA    7    2018    MC    -    1    -    544th
Farmers Insurance Open    USA    4    2018    T23    2.86    0.9674    2.77    539th
Hero World Challenge    USA    48    2017    T9    6.96    0.8804    6.13    668th
Omega Dubai Desert Classic    EUR    5    2017    WD    -    0.413    -    674th
Farmers Insurance Open    USA    4    2017    MC    -    0.4022    -    666th
Hero World Challenge    USA    49    2016    15    4.38    0.3261    1.43    650th
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 16, 2018 2:28 PM BST
YANKS currently hold all 4 Major Championship titles.
The last time the USofA held all 4 Major Titles and The Players' Championship simultaneously was in 2000-01, when Tiger Woods won all five of those tournaments in a row.
Report therhino May 16, 2018 2:35 PM BST
Doesn't even register that he won The Players in that year. Absolutely mind boggling.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 16, 2018 2:43 PM BST
The highest average World Ranking Points someone has managed.....we can assume it was probably Tiger in the early 2000’s.....YES, Tiger went beyond 32 average points at his peak. Different galaxy.
Report JML May 16, 2018 3:58 PM BST
At one point his average was more than the next three combined.

Donny--3 of those tournaments were before his latest comeback
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 16, 2018 5:46 PM BST
These are the total scores (Rd1+2+3+4) over the last 5 holes (14-18) at THE PLAYERS Champ for the top finishers:

W. Simpson -3 (winner finished -18)
J. Walker -4 (T2nd at -14)
C. Schwartzel -5 (T2nd at -14)
X. Schauffele -3 (T2nd at -14)
J. Dufner -1
J. Day -1
H. Varner III -3
T. Fleetwood -3
K. Bradley -5
D. Lee -4
B. Koepka -5 (with a quad on 17th in Rd2. and Albatross on 16th in Rd4.)
J. Thomas +1
T. Woods +5 (T11 finish at -11) Devil
Report donny osmond May 16, 2018 8:26 PM BST
indeed they are jml

but to do a fair comparison i can only take the 2 year time frame provided, i dont have an app to
calculate everybody's results since tigers latest comeback, so ive done an average over the period

there is a facility on the ranking site to see points gained in 2018 and if you click on it , ..it reorders
the players by ranking points gained in 2018
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 22, 2018 7:53 PM BST
Another good week for Tiger wasn't sure we would ever go favourite on the back nine of a major again wasn't to be but up into the world's top 50

Bridgestone here we come
Report anxious July 23, 2018 10:46 AM BST
Would still say the best player ever to play Golf
Report lewisham ranger July 23, 2018 1:43 PM BST
certainly tiger at his peak was a level or two above what anyone around now is capable of. also he had cajones under pressure that they could only dream about. you could make arguments for players in the past like nicklaus of course.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan August 12, 2018 10:54 PM BST
ANOTHER MAJOR in the bag
Report lewisham ranger August 13, 2018 12:09 AM BST
for peds user brooks?
Report lewisham ranger August 13, 2018 12:46 AM BST
tiger making people like rory and jordan look like what they are... crap. Grin
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 13, 2018 10:07 AM BST
the bogey, double start on thursday ultimately cost Tiger but another great performance in a major - great to see him in the mix on the back nine on sunday.

OWGR now 26 - if his points were divided by the number of events he has played Tiger would be 4th!

choo choo
Report jedi sophie August 13, 2018 10:24 AM BST
Tiger has to be a factor in playoffs,gets a win?
Let's hope so,thoroughly deserves one imo.
Report Wessex August 15, 2018 2:14 PM BST
Much of the stuff in this thread is misguided.

Tiger has no points to lose from last year so has to do this over mush of a 2 year period.  He has gained the 16th best total of points in 2018, so that (not 4th) is probably the best assessment of where he currently ranks.

To get to Number 1, you have to win and keep winning tournaments - even Luke Donald did this - or have stellar non-winning performances in pretty much every major and WGC over at least a year. DJ currently has 460 points which is pretty typical (Tiger was consistently over 600 in the halcyon days of 2001-02), sole 2nd in 8 majors over a 2 year period would give you 480 points before the decrementing for all but the most recent 13 weeks, so without winning you need to do very very well very consistently.

It is great to see a fit fighting Tiger back but he has some way to go be be close to Number 1.
Report Puggy4 August 15, 2018 3:44 PM BST
When the original thread was posted in 2011 he was world number 28, now, seven years later he is World number 26
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 15, 2018 4:37 PM BST
In January 2001 Tiger's points were 28.8 nearly three times as many as Ernie Els in second.

After he won the Us Open on one leg Tigers ranking was 20.68 Adam Scott was third with a total 5.857!

Wessex is right that he has accrued the 16th most points this year although he will get a boost from being eligible for WGC events going forwards which carry big points and limited fields.

To get back to number one it is wins and high finishes that are required but of the current bunch we are not getting the 6, 7, 8 or 9 wins in a season rather 3 or 4 so it is possible. There isn't currently a player who is consistently better than the rest 5 or 6 wins over a 2 year period with some consistent form can get you to the top.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 15, 2018 4:37 PM BST
In January 2001 Tiger's points were 28.8 nearly three times as many as Ernie Els in second.

After he won the Us Open on one leg Tigers ranking was 20.68 Adam Scott was third with a total 5.857!

Wessex is right that he has accrued the 16th most points this year although he will get a boost from being eligible for WGC events going forwards which carry big points and limited fields.

To get back to number one it is wins and high finishes that are required but of the current bunch we are not getting the 6, 7, 8 or 9 wins in a season rather 3 or 4 so it is possible. There isn't currently a player who is consistently better than the rest 5 or 6 wins over a 2 year period with some consistent form can get you to the top.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 15, 2018 4:39 PM BST
after winning the us open his ranking was actually 21.542 almost double the current tally required to be number 1
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now