Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
stewarty b
15 Apr 10 19:29
| Topic/replies: 9,408 | Blogger: stewarty b's blog
To win most majors. Now for a right rib tickler.........

frames 13 Apr 17:40
Your hatred of Tiger is making you blinkered into quote No.2.

He is quite clearly the greatest ever golfer.

PMSL
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View 1/400 Nicklaus...400/1 the draw 500/1...
Show More
Report Knight Rider August 13, 2013 12:05 AM BST
Next year's the biggie for Tiger.  Has won on 3 of the Major courses and runner up on the other (when Cambo had the week of his life).  Do not think Merion, Muirfield or Oak Hill were particularly well suited.  Personally I hope he does it, he's a phenomenal competitor and attracts way more vitriol than he merits.
Report deansthemann August 13, 2013 1:28 PM BST
Tiger is the best sportsman to have ever lived bar none.
Report Kelly August 13, 2013 3:16 PM BST
Highest paid / earner certainly . Too big a claim though , hard to sustantiate across the multiplicity of sports in the world . Have a look as Herb Elliots record , retired age 22 , unbeaten for more than 4 years at 1500 metres or a mile , multiple medals and world records . Never threatened at a time when the opposition was also top class .
Report pumphol. August 13, 2013 6:19 PM BST
From the looks of some of the posters there will still be plenty of five or six to one to lay in four events next year & beyond.
Report tobermory August 14, 2013 12:22 AM BST
Has anyone even won 3 majors when aged 38+ ?

Think Nicklaus won only 2
Report kincsem August 14, 2013 6:52 AM BST
Ben Hogan won five majors at 38+
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 14, 2013 9:07 AM BST
Nicklaus

Major 15 aged 38 78 Open
Major 16 aged 40 80 US Open
Major 17 aged 40 80 US PGA
Major 18 aged 46 86 Masters

In terms of number of majors for age they equal at the moment.
Report festivalfanatic August 14, 2013 10:24 AM BST
I don't know the facts but suspect that Tiger has played a lot more golf in his career than Jack had played at the same age. He is very fit but you can't undo wear and tear on the body, nor remove psychological scars and he does beat himself up when he plays a bad shot or misses a putt. The 2014 Masters is critical to him imo, as it offers by far his best chance of winning a major next year. If he does win, he could easily win another.

Nicklaus very much targeted the major championships and he had a very conservative approach to the game. Put yourself in contention and see what unfolds. His 56 top 5 finishes in major championships will never be matched.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 14, 2013 10:37 AM BST
fanatic on sky on sunday Nicklaus said he didn't treat majors any different to other events. He said the final round at Palm Springs was just as important as the final round of a major as he wanted to win the event.

Monty chipped in saying there was more pressure in majors especially on sundays and jack disagreed saying it was just another round of golf.

An interesting aside is Nicklaus didn't have the pressure of going for a target number in fact until he won his tenth he claims he never knew how many he had won.

Tiger has a good seven years ahead injury permitting. In terms of freshness he had basically two years out of the game through injury and being told he would never win again has probably motivated him to extend his career further.

Woods plays a smaller schedule than most so injury permitting should be fine.

In my view there is no doubt it is harder to win at any level now especially in the majors. The depth of talent gets deeper every year.

Whether Tiger can do it or not time will tell but its worth noting in 1979 Nicklaus didn't win an event anywhere and many said he was finished and wouldn't win again. He won only five more events after that but three of them were majors.
Report festivalfanatic August 14, 2013 1:16 PM BST
Agree MW about depth of talent and that is not something that is about to change. I think Tiger's biggest challenge is his own mind. He's never hit it particularly straight off the tee but you don't get as badly punished for this at Augusta as elsewhere. The biggest difference for me is his putting. When the pressure is really on, he misses a lot more than he used to. You don't very often see pro's improve this element of their game as they get older - combination of nerves and deteriorating eyesight probably!
Report Senyatta August 14, 2013 6:16 PM BST
looks very serious and too mechanical over every shot in the majors.round 1 last week was some terrible stuff. watching him practice for a particular shot then totally hit it fat to shortside himself.then come out and say he played ok.he was rubbish bar maybe 5 or 6 holes.chasing that record has really got to him.how can he win so many other tournaments then play like a hack in the majors.its all upstairs and he needs to change his way of thinking for the big ones
Report tobermory August 15, 2013 1:41 AM BST
thanks Kincsem and Might Whites, shows my level of expertise Blush
Report stewarty b March 28, 2014 4:31 AM GMT
I wonder if my odds will change after the four majors, or is Jack's record safe forever?
Report stewarty b March 28, 2014 4:44 AM GMT
Am I right in thinking Woods, age 38, needs just 4 more majors to tie Nicklaus?
Report eight ball March 28, 2014 5:57 AM GMT
hahahaha Woods hahahaha
Almost the greatest ever but not and doubt he will be hahahhaha only 38 you say ?,Tigggerr will be lucky to be playing anything except who let the Trouser Snake out again by the time he's 40.

If Jack used Today's Equipment, Today's Large Pill, played Today's pristine Toro manicured greens/courses he might have racked up another 6 Majors.

Good Luck if he does but if you did some history research based NOT on scoring facts, then Jack Was/Is The Greatest ever Golf competitor.

Too many mozzies here mesmerized by the mozzie zapper.
Report stewarty b March 28, 2014 6:15 AM GMT
Spot on eight ball.
Report Over2.5 March 28, 2014 11:45 AM GMT
jack doesnt even come close to woods..woods is not only the greatest golfer ever but also the best sportsman of all time
Report eight ball March 28, 2014 12:13 PM GMT
Lolo overs
Obviously a tongue in cheek comment by you errr you were joking right ?
Report stewarty b March 28, 2014 3:28 PM GMT
This thread was started four years ago...
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 28, 2014 5:04 PM GMT
If Jack used Today's Equipment, Today's Large Pill, played Today's pristine Toro manicured greens/courses he might have racked up another 6 Majors.

Is that playing against the quality of fields he faced in 60s and 70s or against the depth out there today.

Would all players have course guides, yardages, mapped greens or would it be just Jack like in his hay day?
Report Tom March 28, 2014 5:38 PM GMT
MW,

Don't rise to the bait. He is clearly fishing and has been on this issue for about 10 years!!
Report NorwichRob March 28, 2014 7:36 PM GMT
Jack is streets ahead as a golfer and a man, Tiger had his chance and blew it, Tom Watson 2nd to Jack closely followed by Seve, Tiger 4th imo..
Report frames March 28, 2014 8:11 PM GMT
Deary me,a pint of what Norwich has been drinking please.Over 2.5 is spot on.Very unlikely to catch Jack's total but he had done enough years ago to be called the greatest ever golfer.Getting back to No.1 last year just increased the already huge gap.
Report donny osmond March 28, 2014 8:58 PM GMT
hows the book looking stew ?
Report stewarty b March 29, 2014 5:25 AM GMT
Just to answer your question Donny......

therhino

therhino   

22 Jul 13 05:18 

12 Jul 10 
    | Topic/replies: 7,653  | Blogger: therhino's blog   

OP would make a poor bookie offering markets with a negative margin. Just sayin.

Rate reply:   

| report  block user 

donny osmond

donny osmond   

22 Jul 13 09:31 

02 Mar 08 
    | Topic/replies: 47,855  | Blogger: donny osmond's blog   

he might have a lopsided book, but not near paying out just yet

A lopsided book is if you bet overbroke. My book has an overround.
Report stewarty b March 29, 2014 5:26 AM GMT
** Just over 100%.
Report stewarty b March 30, 2014 5:47 AM BST
jack doesnt even come close to woods..woods is not only the greatest golfer ever but also the best sportsman of all time

A lot of boxing fans would disagree with that statement.....

Having said that, this thread is purely about who will win the most majors.
Report stewarty b March 30, 2014 1:08 PM BST
I was looking at the betting for the next four majors and although it's early doors yet, Woods is 2nd FAV for the masters and surprisingly FAV for the other three. How can this be so? A layers paradise imho.
Report donny osmond March 30, 2014 1:27 PM BST
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realize there's nothin' left
Cause I've been blasting and laughing so long,
That even my mama thinks that my mind is gone
But I ain't never crossed a man that didn't deserve it
Me be treated like a punk you know that's unheard of
You better watch how you're talking and where you're walking
Or you and your homies might be lined in chalk
I really hate to trip but I gotta loc
As they croak, I see myself in the pistol smoke, fool
I'm the kinda G the little homies wanna be like
On my knees in the night saying prayers in the streetlight

Been spending most their lives, living in the layer's paradise
Keep spending most our lives, living in the layer's paradise
Report donny osmond March 30, 2014 1:30 PM BST
Look at the situation they got me facin'
I can't live a normal life, I was raised by the streets
So I gotta be down with the hood team
Too much television watching got me chasing dreams
I'm an educated fool with money on my mind
Got my 10 in my hand and a gleam in my eye
I'm a loc'd out gangsta set trippin' banger
And my homies is down so don't arouse my anger, fool
Death ain't nothing but a heartbeat away,
I'm living life, do or die, what can I say
I'm 23 now, but will I live to see 24
The way things are going I don't know

Tell me why are we so blind to see
That the ones we hurt are you and me

Power and the money, money and the power
Minute after minute, hour after hour
Everybody's running, but half of them ain't looking
What's going on in the kitchen, but I don't know what's cookin'
They say I gotta learn, but nobody's here to teach me
If they can't understand it, how can they reach me
I guess they can't, I guess they won't
I guess they front, that's why I know my life is out of luck, fool

Tell me why are we so blind to see
That the one's we hurt are you and me
Tell me why are we so blind
Report stewarty b March 30, 2014 1:34 PM BST
Profound...
Report rcing March 31, 2014 1:55 PM BST
layer's paradise = gangsters paradise

imo
Report rcing March 31, 2014 6:56 PM BST
ohh , i only now see what you did there donny

wac i am

Blush
Report stewarty b February 13, 2015 1:38 AM GMT

Mighty Whites 2008

Mighty Whites 2008   

Date Joined:   27 May 06 
Add contact | Send message
  15 Apr 10 19:57 
Joined:   27 May 06      | Topic/replies: 12,329  | Blogger: Mighty Whites 2008's blog   

why do you post these joke threads?

Frames spot on in my opinion.

My odds still stand...
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 13, 2015 12:29 PM GMT
shame you can't get betfair to put up a market and put your money where your mouth is
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 13, 2015 12:55 PM GMT
paddy power offering

8/15 14 majors
11/8 15 - 18 majors
16/1 19 or more

needs to play a minimum 10 further majors for the bet to stand
Report stewarty b February 13, 2015 5:15 PM GMT
shame you can't get betfair to put up a market and put your money where your mouth is

Shame you mocked me FIVE years ago...
Report stewarty b February 13, 2015 5:58 PM GMT
Jack William Nicklaus (born January 21, 1940), nicknamed "The Golden Bear", is a retired American professional golfer. He is widely regarded as the greatest professional golfer of all time, winning a total of 18 career major championships, while producing 19 second place and 9 third place finishes in them, over a span of 25 years.[1] Nicklaus focused on the major championships (Masters Tournament, U.S. Open, Open Championship, and PGA Championship), and played a selective schedule of regular PGA Tour events, yet still finished with 73 victories, third on the all-time list.

After winning two U.S. Amateurs in 1959 and 1961, and challenging for the 1960 U.S. Open (he finished in second place, two shots behind winner Arnold Palmer), Nicklaus turned professional toward the end of 1961. The 1962 U.S. Open was both Nicklaus' first major championship victory and his first professional win. This win over Arnold Palmer began the on-course rivalry between the two. In 1966, Nicklaus won the Masters Tournament for the second year in a row, becoming the first golfer to achieve this, and also won The Open Championship, completing his career slam of major championships.[2] At age 26, he became the youngest to do so at the time. In 1968 and 1969, Nicklaus did not win a major tournament. He then won another Open Championship in 1970.[2]

Between 1971 and 1980, he would win a further nine major championships, overtake Bobby Jones' record of 13 majors, and become the first player to complete double and triple career slams of golf's four professional major championships. At the age of 46, Nicklaus claimed his 18th and final major championship at the 1986 Masters Tournament, becoming that championship's oldest winner. Nicklaus joined the Senior PGA Tour (now known as the Champions Tour) in January 1990, when he became eligible, and by April 1996 had won 10 of the tour's tournaments, including eight of that tour's major championships, despite playing a very limited schedule. He continued to play at least some of the four regular Tour majors until 2005, when he made his final appearances at The Open Championship and the Masters Tournament.

Nicklaus has also taken part in various off-course activities, including golf course design, charity work and book writing. Nicklaus is a member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects and has helped design courses such as Harbour Town Golf Links. Nicklaus also runs his own tournament on the PGA Tour, the Memorial Tournament. His golf course design company is one of the largest in the world. Nicklaus' books vary from instructional to autobiographical, with his Golf My Way considered one of the best instructional golf books of all time; the video of the same name is the best selling golf instructional to date.

Not even Rory will come close to the great man's record. (nap)  (five stars)
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 13, 2015 6:09 PM GMT
im mocking your odds now, they were ridiculous then and are not much better now.
Report stewarty b February 13, 2015 6:22 PM GMT
Good luck with your Paddy P0wer bet.
Report stewarty b February 13, 2015 6:38 PM GMT
16/1 with pp and you thought my odds were ridiculous. You couldn't make it up.
Report lfc1971 February 13, 2015 11:40 PM GMT
Such a pity, Nicklaus and Palmer played a practice round with Tiger at the Masters before Tiger turned professional. They both could not believe how good he was and thought he could possibly win as many as 10 majors....just at Augusta!
No player can change his swing and become a better player, the decline started with Harman.
Report kincsem February 14, 2015 3:09 PM GMT
I think we can say "Nice try, Tiger, there is no shame in coming second."
Report stewarty b September 17, 2015 12:12 AM BST
Revised odds....

No offers Nicklaus....5000/1 the draw... 50,000/1Woods.
Report lewisham ranger September 17, 2015 9:25 AM BST
I think Woods will probably win one more major but four is almost certainly going to be beyond him.

However reveling in the failure of a great champion to reach the target of another great champion is rather sad imo.
Report stewarty b September 17, 2015 8:12 PM BST
No reviling whatsoever. I started this thread five years ago, knowing that I believed Woods would suffer a 'burn out'. (in more ways than one)

I was ridiculed back then but a lot of so called 'experts' disagreed with me. Jack is the most gifted player ever to set foot on a golf course.
Report lewisham ranger September 17, 2015 8:46 PM BST
but surely if you started it in 2005 it would have been much more impressive

after all you have to go back more than five years until he last won a major...
Report dave1357 September 19, 2015 11:01 AM BST
lfc1971 • February 13, 2015 11:40 PM GMT
No player can change his swing and become a better player

Faldo?  Hogan?

I'm sure there are many others....
Report donny osmond September 19, 2015 12:59 PM BST
woods out for season with back surgery

start again at 40 , plenty others blossomed at that age, i wonder
how he fancies taking on jason day stiping it 350 down the fairway
and putting nearly as well as woods

how much would he be worth in the commentary booth ?
Report lfc1971 September 20, 2015 12:44 AM BST
stewarty b called it right, mighty whites and the rhino and the rest looking like mugs here.
Report stewarty b March 19, 2018 5:20 PM GMT
anxious
Date Joined:    14 May 15
11 Mar 18 18:47 Joined: 14 May 15 | Topic/replies: 21,001 | Blogger: anxious's blog
Fantastic player 14 majors , took golf to a new level

A new level? Yes, but well below Nicklaus's.
Report kincsem March 20, 2018 2:07 AM GMT
lol Cool
Report stewarty b March 20, 2018 5:00 PM GMT
Nicklaus 18 Woods 14. Plus, Nicklaus finished runner up in nineteen majors. Unbelievable.
Report JML March 21, 2018 5:14 AM GMT
stewarty b

if nicklaus was so far superior to woods you'll have no problem
in telling me when nicklaus actualy played the golf that was superior to
what woods played in 2000/1.

for long periods in his career, nicklaus wasn't even the best golfer in the world.
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 8:57 AM GMT
JML
Date Joined:    10 May 05
21 Mar 18 05:14 Joined: 10 May 05 | Topic/replies: 1,044 | Blogger: JML's blog
stewarty b

for long periods in his career, nicklaus wasn't even the best golfer in the world.

For a good while now Woods has never been the best player in the world so I don't know what point you are trying to make but one thing I can state is facts, Nicklaus was a better player than Woods. Winner or runner up in THIRTY SEVENmajors. No other player has or will match that.

Jack William Nicklaus (born January 21, 1940), nicknamed "The Golden Bear", is a retired American professional golfer. He is widely regarded as the greatest professional golfer of all time, winning a total of 18 career major championships, while producing 19 second place and 9 third place finishes in them, over a span of 25 years.

Forget about 2000/1, any great in any sport has to go the distance. Woods didn't whilst Nicklaus claimed his last major at the age of 46. HTH.
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 9:07 AM GMT
** And in the first three in forty six majors. Anyone who knows about the game knows Nicklaus is the main man blowing Woods right out of the water. And remember, they didn't have the fancy equipment back in Nicklaus's days.

You want to know how Nicklaus sometimes practised? He would get his son to stand 50-100 yards away from him and using different irons he hit the ball towards his son who almost every time caught the ball wearing a baseball glove. Different gravy.
Report donny osmond March 21, 2018 11:31 AM GMT
i thought you were going to turn jack into william tell ...Laugh
Report trebor March 21, 2018 12:06 PM GMT
Bit harsh pointing out Jacks 19 runner-ups where he failed to get the job done, but as you seem to be using these stats to boost your claim that Jack was better than Tiger lets compare them

Jack won 11% of Majors entered. came in top two 22.5% of the time, and made the cut just under 80%
Tiger won 18% of Majors entered. came in top two 26% of the time, and made the cut just over 88%

Also don't see your point about todays "fancy equipment" Jack never had? This equipment only levels the playing field, helps the less skilled players to compete against the better opponent, a higher percentage of players now have a chance of winning the golf tournament than when Jack was competing.
Report mengmeng March 21, 2018 12:16 PM GMT
also Tiget isnt done winning majors just yet, lets revisit this in a few weeks time :)
Report mengmeng March 21, 2018 12:17 PM GMT
and Tiger, sorry got all excited
Report donny osmond March 21, 2018 1:13 PM GMT
there are nearly 20 years at end of jacks career when he failed to contend in a major but still played in them that skew those stats in tigers favour if you take it on a % basis.

seems somewhat desperate
Report trebor March 21, 2018 1:54 PM GMT
Wow, I never thought of that Donny Cry just giving the creator of the thread the response it deserves.

If you are seriously going to say that Jack is better than Tiger because of the number of majors won and disregard the fact that Tiger has been injured for the last 10 years, then I must be as good as Monty cos we both have the same number of majors.
Report donny osmond March 21, 2018 4:15 PM GMT
its always been a bold and lighthearted attack on the tiger jack debate

there was another thread before this one if i remember correctly

its like messi v ronaldo v pele v maradona

just lucky we have seen them all at their peak, but the arguments can never
be resolved fully so enjoy them!

tigers still got 5-7 years ? but sadly for him theres some pretty decent players
around at the moment who would have been stiff competition for any champ in any
era.

great to have him going into the masters with a decent shout
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 5:03 PM GMT
donny osmond
Date Joined:    02 Mar 08
21 Mar 18 13:13 Joined: 02 Mar 08 | Topic/replies: 74,741 | Blogger: donny osmond's blog
there are nearly 20 years at end of jacks career when he failed to contend in a major but still played in them that skew those stats in tigers favour if you take it on a % basis.

seems somewhat desperate

Once again donny comes out with common sense.
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 5:15 PM GMT
** As for stats let's not for get Jack's other eight majors when he joined the seniors tour. Had they both met at their peak I have no doubt in my mind that Nicklaus would have knocked the stuffing out of Woods both play wise and the psychology part with his natural ability.

Nicklaus had it all, including ability and longevity. Not the same sport but if anyone else has any doubt as to what a a true legend is I would advise this as a superb watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhmN04u56CM
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 7:15 PM GMT
donny osmond
Date Joined:    02 Mar 08
21 Mar 18 11:31 Joined: 02 Mar 08 | Topic/replies: 74,750 | Blogger: donny osmond's blog
i thought you were going to turn jack into william tell ...Laugh

Sorry donny I didn't get the irony or humour of that post until now. Cool
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 8:28 PM GMT
I tried to look at the betting for the Masters earlier on but as most will know the site was down. Woods is 13/1 to win it??? (no place markets at present) Seriously, are those odds realistic?

You can get double that odds for Mickelson and I know which one is better value imho. That said I only back in the majors and I think I may have dug out a nice little outsider bet. I wont mention the name but will post my bet beforehand.

Back to Woods, I know he's on a comeback of sorts but when I looked at the betting I thought maybe a 25/1 shot. I have no doubt in my mind that the 13/1 has factored the name Woods into the price.

Any thoughts welcome.
Report JML March 21, 2018 10:04 PM GMT
stewarty b   I'll repeat the question

Report JML March 21, 2018 10:11 PM GMT
You want to know how Nicklaus sometimes practised? He would get his son to stand 50-100 yards away from him and using different irons he hit the ball towards his son who almost every time caught the ball wearing a baseball glove. Different gravy.

is it me,because I don't see what's particularly fantastic about that.

stewarty b--- can you please provide a link.
Report JML March 21, 2018 10:11 PM GMT

is it me,because I don't see what's particularly fantastic about that.

stewarty b--- can you please provide a link.
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 10:26 PM GMT
You only need to ask once JML! Joking aside I mm not a google man although I use it often for facts. If I remember correctly it was Peter Allis who mentioned it back 20 odd years ago. That said if you want corroborative proof I will try and search through google even though I have no reason to lie and very strange that you should doubt my word because even though you don't know me I have no hidden agenda to lie.

JML 21 Mar 18 22:04 Joined: 10 May 05 | Topic/replies: 1,048 | Blogger: JML's blog

Do you want me to pick a particular year or will overall satisfy you?
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 10:29 PM GMT
Do you want me to pick a particular year or will overall satisfy you?

Bear in mind that Glasgow Celtic had a very good year in 67 as opposed to Real Madrid's overall record in Europe..
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 10:34 PM GMT
One more thing JML, and I'm asking your opinion. Who do you think was the best of the two?
Report JML March 21, 2018 10:51 PM GMT
I don't think Nicklaus at his best was any better than Hogan at his best.
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 11:06 PM GMT
JML 21 Mar 18 22:51 Joined: 10 May 05 | Topic/replies: 1,049 | Blogger: JML's blog
I don't think Nicklaus at his best was any better than Hogan at his best.

Unbelievable considering you said, and I quote.....

JML
Date Joined:    10 May 05
21 Mar 18 22:04 Joined: 10 May 05 | Topic/replies: 1,049 | Blogger: JML's blog

Report JML March 21, 2018 11:13 PM GMT
I think you might of missed the word if
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 11:20 PM GMT
Please enlighten me. Where did I miss the word if. You may be right, but I can't answer until I spot it.
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 11:23 PM GMT
If it's this if....

I'm truly baffled.
Report JML March 21, 2018 11:29 PM GMT
It is suppose to read

if nicklaus was(IN YOUR OPINION)so far superior to woods you'll have no problem
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 11:31 PM GMT
** in case you're baffled JML may I remind you and anybody else this thread is purely about who will win most majors. It's quite easy if you read the thread from the start.
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 11:36 PM GMT
Sorry JML, our posts overlapped there. I have NEVER  said that Nicklaus was, and I quote you again.... 

so far superior to woods

I have only mentioned Nicklaus was the better player, not far superior.
Report JML March 21, 2018 11:43 PM GMT
Report stewarty b March 21, 2018 11:55 PM GMT

Sorry JML but you are now coming across as a wee bit unstable. That's not having a pop btw but what you said, I stand by it. As a matter of fact I'm beginning to think you are on the wind up.

I read Knight Rider's thread for the first time on Monday. It beggars belief. As it happens I knew from the first post it was genuine. I just couldn't believe that poultice Barza got so many replies.  f you've sucked me in for a short while....well done.
Report JML March 21, 2018 11:59 PM GMT
you've lost me stewarty b

A new level? Yes, but well below Nicklaus's. is what you said only the other day on this thread.
Report stewarty b March 22, 2018 12:05 AM GMT
you've lost me stewarty b

Just tell me what part you don't understand JML and I will try my best to explain.
Report stewarty b March 22, 2018 12:06 AM GMT
** I ask that because nobody else has questioned it and I'm on the forum of people with knowledge of the game.
Report JML March 22, 2018 12:14 AM GMT
what is the difference between these two statements

statement 1       the standard of A is well below that of B.

AND

statement 2                 B is far superior to A.

this is what I don't understand
Report stewarty b March 22, 2018 12:21 AM GMT
B is far superior to A.

Post where I said that and I will hold my hands up.
Report JML March 22, 2018 12:23 AM GMT
can you just answer the question
Report stewarty b March 22, 2018 12:30 AM GMT
You are good JML. Maths not my strong point. Arithmetic on the other hand...

That said, I'll go with B just to amuse you.
Report JML March 22, 2018 7:37 AM GMT
perhaps I should get straight to the point.

after a gap of 2.5 years this thread reappeared at the top with this post by you

11 Mar 18 18:47 Joined: 14 May 15 | Topic/replies: 21,001 | Blogger: anxious's blog
Fantastic player 14 majors , took golf to a new level

I believe that saying   

the level tiger reached is well below nicklaus'

is no different to saying

nicklaus was so far superior to woods

if you disagree perhaps you can explain the difference.

i now realise that your post was meant for another thread.
Report kincsem March 24, 2018 8:17 AM GMT
We have had all the talk from Tiger fans.
Are they a little disappointed?
Report eight ball March 25, 2018 8:53 AM BST
Have to respect the Wood's followers,remember many of them may have been 8,10,15,20 years old when Tiger had a 25 year span,so they won't have known anyone to compare with.Similar to Ferguson(Man Utd) Sheedy(Essendon,AFL)
Side by side from an athletic appearance you pick Woods.
But Stats only tell part of the story and that physical story is Jack by a lengthy margin,ever more so if you want to add in the R/U stats in majors.
Now if you want to talk unseen strength then both of them were clearly ahead of anyone past/present(and I suggest future)
Jack"Quote"
'He knew he would beat you.
You knew he would beat you and
He knew you knew, he would beat you'.
Tiger
Knew you were playing at best to finish second to him.
Tiger's total domination left competitors humiliated during his reign.
Tiger does have a side bonus.A Tiger victory was powerful enough to dictate the course of the DJIA at the opening bell on Monday's.

In 25 years time someone may have won say 12 or 13 Major Toms and people will be saying the best ever but the Woods believers will rightly recall . . nah. . not even close guys and at that stage Jack's record will still be the Benchmark but won't be viewed as significant due to the future era's interpretations.In the first 10 years of The Open Willie Park Snr and Tom Morris Snr won 7 but generations later no one factors in that dominance.
Report stewarty b April 5, 2018 1:48 PM BST
Said I would post my Masters bet on here. Nothing backed at the moment but if he survives the cut I will stick a few bob on Bryson Dechambeau. g/l all.
Report kincsem April 5, 2018 2:42 PM BST
Perhaps in time Walter Hagen will be thought of second to Jack Nicklaus.
He won 11 majors when there were only 3 majors to play for, although like Tiger he did play the US Masters in his 40s.
Report stewarty b April 6, 2018 11:52 AM BST
First thoughts are Mickelson could be value at 18.5 only four strokes behind Spieth. I doubt if Woods can turn things around but never say never...

Haven't placed a bet yet but Patrick Reed could spring a surprise imho at 29.0 albeit some shrewdies have been matched for good money at 70-75.
Report stewarty b April 6, 2018 1:45 PM BST
My golf man who has a handicap of two reckons the winner will come out of Mickelson's three ball today....

Fowler 24.0, Kuchar at 18.5 or Lefty at 18.5. I suppose if you dutched the three of them you would think you would have a fighting chance come Sunday....?
Report stewarty b April 8, 2018 4:09 PM BST
Haven't placed a bet yet but Patrick Reed could spring a surprise imho at 29.0 albeit some shrewdies have been matched for good money at 70-75.

No bet placed but I hope he wins. I could have taken the 29.0 but if I miss the price I tend to let go and lose interest. g/l all in what seems a two horse race as I type.
Report kincsem April 10, 2018 4:57 AM BST
http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/jack-nicklaus-wasnt-far-winning-28-major-t...
Report stewarty b June 15, 2018 10:49 PM BST
Sad to see Woods at 1000 already. Should retire gracefully imho.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now