Forums

Forum Chat

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Betfair Live Chat
23 Sep 10 13:43
| Topic/replies: 124 | Blogger: Betfair Live Chat's blog
Well be hosting a Q&A session on the forum on Thursday 23rd September between 6.00 pm and 7.30 pm (UK Time). We welcome questions on any topic of interest to Betfair customers.

Please send any questions you have to livechat@betfair.com, and we will endeavour to answer as many as possible. You can send any questions you have from now, and responses will be posted on the night.

Unfortunately it is not possible for us to respond to each email individually but we will attempt to answer all questions raised via the live Q&A session.

Thanks
Share |

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 45
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:00
Welcome to the forum Q&A.

We will shortly start to post answers to questions which have been emailed into us in advance. Customers who wish to ask further questions during this session can either respond in this thread, or email their questions to livechat@betfair.com.

Among the Betfair representatives answering questions this evening are David O’Reilly (Legal counsel and horse racing enthusiast) and Lee Cowles (Director of our UK business).
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:07
We have received several questions in respect of Betfair's announcement on Tuesday of its intention to list on the London Stock Exchange and its proposed initial public offering (IPO).  We know that a number of customers have expressed interest in investing in the IPO. We did explore in some detail the possibility of making it available to our customers but unfortunately due to legal and regulatory difficulties we were not able to pursue this. Due to the strict regulations surrounding the listing process, we are sorry that we will not be able to answer any further questions on this topic.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:09
Is there any thought from Betfairs behalf to increase  the liquidity on the Greyhound and Soccer Markets?
the last couple of years i noticed a substantial drop and this is reflected on the back / lay prices gap difference.
You have too many (thieves?proffesional people with bots) and less genuine punters..On top of that 90% of my bets do not get matched at the available prices your system shows and usually they get chopped down ..20% do not get matched even at the reduced prices ..Especially on Greyhounds
We are always keen to see the liquidity across any market grow and in fact we have actually seen increased volume and liquidity across both football and greyhounds over the past few years. It may be that as our number of customers grows that the prices get taken faster and this is appearing to you as a drop. We’ve recently reviewed our football offering and are now getting markets up faster than ever before giving extra time for the liquidity to grow so hopefully you will start to notice a change soon.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:11
Hi,
Can you please, tell me why can’t we watch matches in North America using Betfair TV?
So many times when I tried to watch a match (tennis, soccer) on Betfair TV while doing live betting, the system said that it is not available in my area. (Canada).
So, then I have to use other streamlines to watch a match while doing live betting. (like: bet365, fromsport.com, ATDHE.net...etc).
I appreciate your answer.
Thank you,
Universe
“Streaming rights” are bought and sold by country and at present we don’t have a licence to stream certain live events in Canada. We’re constantly looking to acquire more rights and hope to be able to improve our offering not just in Canada but globally with a wider range of events. Please keep an eye on the service announcements section of the forum for more details of these as and when they happen.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:12
Hi,
I come from Australia.
I was wondering if you could give me some information about the situation of live betting online for Australian Customers in terms of the law being changed.
Thanks very much,
David

Hi David,

Thanks for your email.
While there doesn't appear to be any amendment to the Interactive Gambling Act in the short term, we continue to put forward recommendations for change in government submissions (like that of the Productivity Commissions Inquiry into Gambling) and various government debates.
We'll be sure to inform all of our Australian customers of any change. Bets can be placed in running over the phone.

Kind regards,
Hugh
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:14
why isn't there a separate forum for Scottish Football?

Celtic and Rangers fans make up a disproportionate amount of Forum posts, and they are invariably filled with sectarian bigotry. Giving them a separate forum would allow them to vent their spleen without infecting the main Forum.

Separate forums such as this can be incorporated in the enhanced forum which is due to be unveiled in the near future. We will give serious consideration about the inclusion of a 'Scottish football' forum although we are conscious that we would not want to dilute the wide-ranging and eclectic nature of the football forum.     

In the meantime please do not hesitate to let us know (via forum@betfair.com) of any threads/postings which clearly breach our terms and conditions and we will act accordingly
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:16
Place Multiples
Think there would be a positive demand for this, has it ever been considered

Dunter

Yes – we hope to introduce place and each way multiples next year.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:17
MasterCard debit cards

hi,

When are you going to start accepting these cards?, its becoming frustrating not having access to the site.

cheers

Good news, we are in the process of adding MasterCard debit and this will be live on the site very shortly. For GB issued cards on sterling accounts there will be no fees.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:21
Hello

Can you confirm or deny the rumours that you are to change the premium charge requirement to  25% instead of the current 20%
You will understand that failure to address the question will of course only ignite further speculation.

Yours

Biscar Two from a mile back

At present we have no plans to change it.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:23
I have noticed when watching a flat horse race on ATR the betting is suspended and turned in running well before the stalls open.
This means the race has started well before the ATR pictures show it has. Yet at the end of the race the betting is closed as the winner crosses the line on ATR i.e. well after the race has actually ended
Are Betfair allowing people to bet on something that has already finished?
Regards
Rollo

The manner in which we operate our horseracing markets is of paramount importance to us, and they are managed accordingly. Voiding bets can be part of this process. But the undeniable fact is that all in running pictures, on any live televised sport, are subject to a time delay, so we advise our customers accordingly. We do this more than any other bookmaker, across all sports.
As a side issue, it is worth noting that the official end of a race is the weighed-in signal, and not the “winner” crossing the line.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:26
Documents associated with your float give the impression that Betfair is increasingly standing certain client bets rather than feeding these through to be taken by the majority of Betfair's customer on the exchange:

"During the first quarter of the year, Betfair ran a trial service with a small number of ''High Roller'' customers. The size and scale of the betting patterns of these customers is too large to be fully hedged through the Betting Exchange and so Betfair has necessarily accepted proprietary risk on these bets.

The trial with High Roller customers proved to be profitable, but the volatility of returns from such customers is such that Betfair has now decided not to proceed with this product offering for the foreseeable future.

[Net profit] from this segment in the first quarter [was] approximately £7 million."

My question is, why can't these bets (in whatever size) be passed through to your smaller customers? Since you charge a commission on winning bets, submitting the high-roller bets to the exchange mechanism would not result in any volatility of returns for Betfair (or would at least not threaten Betfair with losses).

The impression, unfortunately, is that you are cherry-picking high-staking losing clients, while allowing skilled players (who perhaps cannot get on at conventional bookmakers) to fight it out between themselves on your P2P exchange. Some might think that this formula would yield greater profits that allowing skilled players to bet against high-rollers on your main site.

Thank you.

Over the years, we’ve been approached by a number of high roller clients who were looking for a telephone based service that would guarantee their bets were on no matter what the size or timing.   These customers would often want to bet on markets at times where there was insufficient liquidity to absorb the full bet or on markets which were nascent.  Given the size of bets made at agreed prices in many cases it was not be practical to offer theme on the exchange and the only way we could set up the service involved taking risk.  We trialled it and, while were doing so, hedged bets on the exchange to the extent practical.  That made them available to the rest of our customer base.  Overall, whilst we made money during the trial, the revenue was too volatile and we discontinued the trial as a consequence.  As an innovative business, we should be continuously trying new things and we should also be prepared to stop them if they don’t work.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:31
Hi
just wondering why there is in -running on Sydney and Melbourne harness racing but not other capital cities in Australia like Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth?

At this stage it’s a case of balancing customer demand and staffing requirements – there is, of course, a significant manual element to administering and settling in-running horseracing markets. That said there’s certainly the scope and inclination to offer a broader number of races in-running and we’ll continue to monitor this, but it has to be in-line with customer demand.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:36
Following the debacle for your ir punters in the 5:10 fontwell race today, can you elaborate on the mechanism thats used to suspend events?

We have dedicated Market Operations teams that are responsible for each sport, and this includes suspensions, settlement and all market management.

In the specific instance of the 5.10pm at Fontwell today, there was a rare technical error which caused a brief suspension during the race.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:39
Hello
Why are you incapable of removing scratched runners with any degree of efficiency ?
You claim that until your 'reliable sources' inform you of scratches runners you cant remove them , but reality is every one and his dog
knows of these scratches through very reliable sources such as drf.com and equibase.com .
Please don't deny the problem exists , its a major flaw in your US Racing markets.
jas1968   

It’s a fair question, and certainly not a new one.
US racing has 15-20 sites, such as DRF, Equibase, NTRA, E-Horse, ESPN, Brisnet, among others.
Through our years of offering US racing we have found only two sites with an acceptable accuracy in these situations - and even then they make mistakes. For this reason we always wait until both of those sites detail the NRs before we remove any non runners.
We could act more quickly, but this would lead certainly to more mistakes and runners being scratched in error – and that is a far worse customer experience.
We are looking into other information feeds, though.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:42
In running Soccer Markets the time you need to place  the bets are ridiculously high 8-9 seconds ..that only suits the professional thieves u have or perhaps your company who try to support the market ...Your suggestion that you protect the punters has no logic since for the Horse Racing you do act on similar lines ...Put it back to 2-3 seconds

The longer the “bet delay” on a market the more time customers have to cancel unmatched bets should they want to. This actually protects customers more as it prevents people with faster feeds or “court-siding” from sweeping prices. We time this delay dependent on the sport and the availability of reliable and quick sources to manage the market from. In the case of horse racing the vast majority of customers have pictures which are within 2-3 seconds from live, hence the delay. However, with European football etc. the pictures are often significantly more delayed so therefore the delay is longer. As a company if we were to shorten the delay we would see higher volumes, more money matched and ultimately make more commission but we deliberately set the bet delays to ensure the safety and fairness of our customers rather than our short term profit. Where we have live video feeds, they are as quick as we can make them technically.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:43
Hi,
One question that I have is around the 'Photo Finish' and 'Steward Enquiries' for Horse Racing.
I know that betting for Steward Enquiries and Photo Finishes is re-opened on the exchanges.
What would be useful is if there were an identifier on the market to know that this is a Photo Finish or Steward Enquiry that the market is currently being bet upon.
I know to an extent that it is 'pretty' obvious - as the market is re-opened after being 'suspended'  - but some identifier would make it useful and clearer.
Regards,
Andrew

Andrew, this would require a big technical change. It can be done, but this would be some way down the priority list for site improvements.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:44
Hi
With the Arc weekend soon upon us, I'm sure I speak for other in-running punters by asking for Betfair to reopen markets when a stewards' enquiry is called in France. I tend to tread carefully when playing a French race as results often get overturned, and by reopening the markets, this would not only benefit i/r punters but surely see increased liquidity in French race markets, thus enhancing profits for Betfair.
I admit monitoring these stewards' enquiries would prove difficult, but by reopening the market for between 3-5 minutes, it would give Betfair punters the opportunity to trade out of their bets.
Thanks.

We have to be certain we are in a position to suspend any betting on stewards enquiries and photo finishes before the result is announced.
If we can ensure this, we will offer those markets.
However, from personal experience at last year’s Arc meeting for example, such announcements are not always made in a timely manner and “live” over the tannoy.
Clearly opening up the markets for 3-5 minutes does not guarantee we would be able suspend before the announcement, if the enquiry lasted less than this time.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:48
Will you be cracking down on people entering markets and matching bets for 0.01p, creating a bet which no matter what happens will win you 0p but can cost you 0.01p? 
It doesn't seem fair. I have had several hundred of these bets matched since my last email to you when you said, "We are aware that some customers use software that circumvents the minimum stake restriction and we have automated procedures that identify accounts looking to disadvantage or inconvenience other customers by matching an excessive number of small bets.
We will give the customer a warning or even suspend their account if they continue to abuse the system." )

As we previously state as soon as customers are identified, their accounts are suspended and they’re warned to cease this activity immediately. We are monitoring this activity and doing our best to combat it.

Secondly, can you add more markets to A-League matches? I can't see any difference in liquidity between A-league matches with 6 markets and games such as Shb Da Nang vs Al Riffa (In-PLay today @ 10am) which is offering 20 markets but has only 6k matched in Match Odds.

We are speaking to our Australian office about this and will pass on your request.

Thirdly, how do you decide on which matches to offer the Correct Score 2 market? It would be nice to see it offered more often and I feel the more you offer it the more popular it will become.

We offer for all Cat 1,2,3 games where the fav is 1.4 or less, but we may consider others on request.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:48
Why are markets on horse racing not managed coherently?

For instance, if there is a non-runner in the win market, it does not automatically get withdrawn from other markets such as "forecast", "reverse forecast" or "without favourite".  Likewise the settlement of markets is undertaken individually, with on occasion some of the less popular ones left unsettled for some time after win and place have been completed.  It seems possible within this system that a horse can be settled as a winner in the win market while some forecast combination not containing it could be settled as the winner in its market.  What robust (ie non-human) checks are carried out to prevent this?  Why is there not an automated process that settles all markets consistently and simultaneously derived from the race result?

Unfortunately the only markets we have, which are linked (in Horseracing), are win and place. The rest is a manual process. As much as we’d like them linked that currently isn’t possible. due to the different way markets are created. When a NR comes out then we look at the win and place first and then look at the additional markets - there is usually very little money on these, so that makes sense.
With respect to settling markets, we have to settle individual markets separately and manually. We obviously prioritise these, with win and place markets being settled first, and the rest thereafter.
However, there is some development planned to allow multiple settlements, so bear with us.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:49
Dear Betfair

if I am in the win market at Ascot for the 2.30 and click on the tote icon, I should be directed to the 2.30 at Ascot. But most times I will be directed to a race course that is of no interest to me. It’s a bit annoying and it wastes valuable time if there are a few seconds before the race starts. I asked the same question over 1 year ago on one of your Q & A sessions and got the response that it was a good idea and should be implemented. Why has it not changed?

regards
Brendan

It is actually quite technically complex for us to ensure a relationship between the exchange market and the Tote pool for a particular race because the Tote interface is developed by a third party.
Consequently, although a good idea, to be honest, it remains some way down our “To Do” list.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:50
Hi all,
When will Betfair include multiples/tote bets in profit/loss calculations?
Regards
Matt

Some development work is in progress to include Tote bets which will be deployed in one of the upcoming releases. No dates have been scheduled but I would expect we would include in a release before Cheltenham. As for multiples, this is in the to do list but not scheduled at present.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:51
dear betfair

As asked in your last Q & A , now that you have something to do with the U.S.A. horse racing television company, will you be introducing technology to broadcast these pictures as fast as possible to  allow betting in running on the U.S.A. horse races?

regards
Brendan

We do offer in running betting on the major US race meetings such as the Breeders Cup. However, there are no immediate plans to roll this out to all US race meetings.
With our acquisition of TVG in January 2009, we have more options available to us in this regard and we will continue to review the viability and practicality of this offering.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:53
Hi Yaldee here

Two Questions
First
Can you tell me why it can take up to 15-20 minutes to take a withdrawn horse out the market. Quite often the horse remains in the market for at least 10 minutes after its been withdrawn , leaving the the market open to manipulation .
Will you ever change the reduction factor rule to include horses under 2.4 , I like to lay books quite often any small profit can be wiped out or even end up red , when outsiders dont run.

Second Question
Are you any closer to multiples for the place markets.
Regards Yaldee

We take non-runners out of markets as soon as we get official confirmation, and no sooner.

We have a dedicated reduction factor team, and they are fully on top of any market issues relating to non runners.

There are no plans to change our reduction factor limits.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 17:57
Hi
Just one question to ask for the Q&A session tomorrow.
Will there be more European & Worldwide leagues added to the current list of unmanaged match odds football markets?
Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt, If you have a specific request please let us know, we are always considering new leagues to add.  The only issue we’ve had in the past is that sometimes we have tried them and they haven’t attracted enough liquidity to make for interesting betting.  We keep trying new ones and, as we continue to grow, we’d expect that more and more will be liquid.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:00
Hello,
I'm sending again, a question sent on a few occasions previously which you have yet to answer.
Why can't the total goals markets for in play football matches have standard betfair odds?
Being 'Asian Handicap' means its easier for 1 or 2 people to completely manipulate these markets.
There is absolutely no need for the odds to be to the nearest 2 decimal places. It is highly irritating trying to back and lay on the Total goals market, as all the odds are seemingly dictated by just one or 2 people and nearly every back or lay is only available at what the one person running the market deems everyone else can have it at.
Surely if  6 goals or more is say 24, then the 24.01 (or 23.99) as the next option is no more necessary than it would be in horse racing or any other sport. The 'hiding' of small (less than £2 bets) is also rife because of this.
regards Mike

Apologies if we missed this previously that wasn’t intentional, it’s a really good question so thank you for this. It’s a really good question, one that we are investigating further and we will come back to you soon on.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:01
In light of Betfair players attending the races and betting with an unfair advantage of sometimes up to over three seconds ahead of home players and the Gambling Commissions' continuing monitoring of the situation, are Betfair looking into obtaining faster pictures for their in-running players playing from home? The time has surely come for a level-playing field, and the fact Paddy Power supply faster online pictures than Betfair must be embarrassing for a firm who like to champion themselves as the forerunners in in-running betting. A level-paying field would not only benefit the players themselves but surely bring about an huge increase in liquidity and in turn Betfair would reap the benefits of larger profits from increased numbers paying the Premium Charge.

I sincerely hope you will be able to field my question.
Warm regards,
Gavin

Gavin, thanks for the question. Nothing has changed since we last answered this in a previous Forum Q & A
We answered as below then:
“We have spoken, at length, to the two UK racing channels and encouraged them to explore ways to reduce the signal delay. Both are limited in what they can do because of their relationships with Sky and for them the issue of how quickly and consistently the signal is delivered is simply not a priority.
If it were simply a matter of money then the latency problems would have been resolved by now. It is not. There are a number of technical issues that make real time picture delivery for every customer watching in every country Betfair operates in, simply impossible.
Customers who post on the forum tend to be UK based and view events from a very UK-centric view but there are also many people betting on UK racing around the world and they often see TV pictures that are even more delayed than in the UK. Those we have spoken to are aware of this and choose to bet anyway believing that their race reading skills compensate for any picture delay, or are happy to leave bets up in-running, as insurance against bets placed before the off.
Each broadcaster has a different way of making their signal available to viewers but even if they were both to agree to operate in the same way, customers would still see pictures at differing times. It is an inevitable consequence of different delivery systems that those people watching via cable, satellite, online or elsewhere will all see signals at differing times.
Those people who choose to watch a live event and hoping to taking advantage of beating any picture delay are hindered by the connectivity of their internet connections which can be slower on course than elsewhere. There are now so many people utilising what they think are faster picture service providers that the playing field for in-running betters is probably more level than it has ever been.
As well as Betfair informing customers of possible delays in 'live' pictures, in both the market information text and at the point of bet placement, some broadcasters themselves now commonly tell viewers to be mindful when betting in-running that what they are watching can sometimes be a couple of seconds or so behind real time.
If anyone has a suggestion as to how to circumvent the various technical issues to help overcome the variance in service I am sure the broadcasters would be delighted to hear from you or you could let us know and we'll take it up directly with them.”
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:02
When will betfair  start showing live races from ruk racing again.

We are in constant conversations to try and add to our live video, however at present there are no immediate plans to add RUK again.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:02
Hi 
I understand why you alter prices in a market following a withdrawal as it's the same as a rule 4 on betting markets, but I don't understand how you can alter prices in markets that haven't even opened at the time of withdrawal.
At least with a rule 4 we know that the deductions reflect how the market stood at the time of withdrawal and in some cases prior to withdrawal but not to SP bets as the SP market was formed after the withdrawal.
Surely the "in running" market is formed after the withdrawal and you should not interfere with that.   
There is absolutely no justification or excuse that you can use to tamper with customers' bets in a market which only formed after the withdrawal.
Can you confirm that in future you will no longer alter bets that were placed in good faith.
Thanks
Outpost

I am not exactly sure what you are asking here, but I’ll clarify the situation as regards reduction factors.

Obviously, the appropriate reduction factors are applied in the event of non runners pre-race, and no reduction factors are applied to in running bets. But if there is a late withdrawal, which is not taken out of the race before it is turned in play, then the reduction factor will be applied to bets struck pre—race and at Betfair SP.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:03
Betfair Forum Q&A Session Thursday 23rd September

When submitting bets just before the off my bets occasionally go in-play which is not my intention. This may be my own mistake for not paying attention to the Green Button but sometimes the button turns Green at the exact same time as when my bets are being submitted and they consequently end up in the in-play market.
It would be handy if there was an ‘option’ to display a ‘confirm bets box or cancel’ when bets are going to be submitted into the in-play market. Would this be possible please.
Ron

This has happened to myself on occasion Ron, so I will raise this with our horse racing product development team.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:04
Why do you have different rules for different parts of the same markets, i.e. deductions on non-runners for pre-race and In Running bets.

The current system leads to problems which wouldn't occur if you applied the deductions to both pre-market and In Running.

In the current system where there is a late material non-runner Betfair will attempt to delete KEEP lays to protect all involved.
This is not always possible and sometime LAYS are propagated into an In Running market at the pre-deduction values. Even when you are able to delete the KEEP lays there is potential for confusion for those who do not have access to live pictures who may have thought they had forgotten to click the KEEP flag.

Your rules cover this (i.e. it's always our fault for not managing our bets) but it would be much simpler and fairer to apply the deductions to both sections of the markets.

If someone has put in a Keep Lay bet, that bet will go in running unless the reduction factor of any late withdrawal (which cannot be taken out of the market pre-race due to time restraints) is more than the guide “material” price of 20 per cent. If the non runner has a reduction factor of less than 20 per cent, then all Keep Lay Bets will stand at their original price.

There will be rare situations where customers can be disadvantaged if they are backing and laying to small margins – for example, backing at 3 and Keep Bet laying at 2.7, there is a late withdrawal which has a reduction factor of less than 20pc, and their selections wins .

But our feedback tells us that our customers want their keep bets to stand, citing that having a Keep lay bet cancelled (when that horse subsequently trades short in running and loses) is a far worse user experience.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:05
Hi,

I have a question for the Q&A session coming Thursday:

On the forum, the agenda for the in play soccer matches is announced and updated, sometimes many times a day. This is a very useful service.

Since the agenda is quiet large, could you mark the new matches with a * or an extra space in the beginning of the line? By this method it would be much easier to detect the new added matches.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Marcel

Hi Marcel

We’re glad you find this service useful. As the list is often updated many times each day, sometimes by more than one individual, tracking each individual change would be quite labour intensive and unfortunately we are unable to accommodate your request at this time.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:08
1. In the last Q&A you said:

"The trial of cross matching on inplay racing markets went well. We hope to introduce this soon, although this requires some IT development work first. We’ll let you know when we have more accurate information on a start date."

Do you have any further information on this?

We hope to roll this out before the end of the year and will announce it when we do so.

2. In the last Q&A you said:

"We tend to focus on the [US horse racing] meetings that are on ATR and those tracks where we also offer live streaming and US tote pool access."

The problem still persists where by you do not cover all of the tracks shown by ATR each night despite one night doing so but the next not. Why is this? I think it would be much better if you could offer far more tracks ensuring via communication with ATR that you offer the tracks they will show as these tracks tend to be the ones that attract the most liquidity. It is frustrating to sit and wacth the race on ATR but not be able to bet on it with Betfair. I know I am not alone in this respect.

This point will be raised with our US horse racing team, but your suggestion would appear to make total sense, provided we are able to offer all of the televised meetings.

But we do like to only offer a selected number of US meetings each night to concentrate liquidity.

3. In the 2010 financial results you talk about the High Roller Segment - with regards to this service did you take on the risk fully yourself (Betfair) and how did you decide on the price to settle at, did you use the BFSP for example or offer fixed prices?

I think we have answered this above.

4. Following on from the above, I understand you 'trade' the multiples and have offered the above service, but what other areas do you actively trade/take on risk?

None at present.

5. Is it true that some Betfair clients are given credit to bet with?

Like any bookmaker we can offer credit and in exceptional circumstances we do so.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:09
Currently Tote bets in the account history DO NOT show the selection that was picked.
This can be very frustrating in terms of remembering what was bet on and trading out in-running.
BH

You are are correct  that they do not appear in the Betting History section, but Tote bets appear in the Current Bets section of My Account. In Current Bets the selection is identified by the race card number in the summary, and you could take a record of this pre-race for your records. However, I will raise this point with the horseracing product team.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:09
I was under the impression that the reduction factor listed pre the withdrawal of a runner was based on the forecast price. I also thought that this remained constant. However, I noticed that Tijuana Dancer's reduction factor was quoted as 16.3% but the actual deduction was 18.2%. I would be grateful if you could clarify the situation.

The initial reduction factor is based on a Timeform tissue price; however, after that point we will amend the reduction factor based on market activity. We constantly monitor the markets, and amend accordingly, to make it as accurate and fair as possible.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:12
Hi there ,

My question is this : Isn't it about time that Betfair started making withdrawals an instant payment to customers bank account ( maybe not to credit cards ) ? Afterall this is 2010 , and the majority of banks now offer 'live' transactions online and a delay of 3 plus working days in not really acceptable .

The Faster Payment  Service (FPS) is definitely something that we want to utilise as it makes sense for both depositing and withdrawing with Betfair. There are a few challenges that we need to meet before we can start to fully utilise the service but we are in the process of seeing how we can do this and we hope to have some changes in-place in early 2011.  Please note it is unlikely that we will ever be able to send funds instantly as there are  requirements for us to carry out enhanced checks before processing payments. These are all designed with the customer in mind and are continually reviewed to try and reduce any impact. 
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:13
Dear Betfair,
Why is it not possible for Betfair to use the faster payment service that most banks have now got in place for customers to access funds quicker.Im sure as a company you think its better to have customers with money in the account but if they had an oppertunity to have a bet and have winnings credited instantly im sure liquidity would increase.Often people are not keen to tie up funds for 5 or 6 days (even 3 days at the earliest) but if you had a bet at 2pm and knew if you wished yould have the cleared funds back in the bank account by 4pm then surely it would be a great service.You could even charge 1% for doing it!! Everyones a winner.
Mick

Please see above.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:14
Hi
Over the last couple of days you have had problems with the suspend in-play during football matches. In your service announcements you kindly apologise for any inconvenience caused, but you never mention any losses incurred. I had assumed that as you heavily promote your in-play facilities that you anticipate that customers may wish to back or lay in play. The terms and conditions are clear and customers are aware of the risks but you do not seem to acknowledge them when you have technical issues. Would you consider some type of bonus for customers caught up by your problems. A refund of commission for the day would be a start?

We do our very best to manage every market perfectly and have a strong track record when you look at it as a percentage – we’d love to get it right 100% but we do have occasional issues with market management.  This week we had some problems with a few data feeds, which happens at very short notice and leads to issues with suspension timing in-play.  Unfortunately we have no control over this but we will continue to source the best feeds available and improve on them where we can (including getting multiple feeds where we can).  We’re always looking at how we can do a better job for our customers but we don’t provide refunds when the site is not available for any reason.

Is the market manually suspended? How do you know when to suspend and then bring it back for a photo/stewards in horse racing, it seems very arbitrary, do you have a written policy that you could share? Why did the suspend flicker so much on the Liverpool game?

For UK and IRE Horse Racing we manually suspend the market at the end of the race.  It is always our intention to re-open the market in the event of a stewards enquiry or photo and we do so the vast majority of times.  This below rule is detailed in the Rules Tab on Horse Racing Win markets.
Betting will be suspended at the end of the race. Should a Photo, Stewards Enquiry or Objection be called the market may be re-opened with unmatched bets (again with the exception of bets for which the "keep" option has been selected) cancelled. The market will then be suspended when this result is announced.
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:20
Is it acknowledged that the Betfair Mobile service is nowhere near as good as it used to be ?
It's all so disappointing that a once brilliant tool has become so frustating in recent times.
Could any improvement be anticipated or are you now concentrating resources on I phones and similar
devices ?   I am not a serial moaner and appreciate how much more reliable the main site is these days !
Thanks,  Neil Hunt.

We have got a Betfair mobile team working on this as we speak and we have forwaded this onto them.
Thanks
By:
Betfair Live Chat
When: 23 Sep 10 18:21
Hi

Can you advise us when the forum will be working properly providing basic search facilities and also refreshing threads to the most recent post?

The old forum was basic but worked much better. There are thousands of forums on the net and most of them have much better basic functions than the current BF? Why is this please?

Regards

mginvest

Hi mginvest

We recently finished a trial of the beta forum with a limited number of customers. The beta forum includes new functionality such as search, the ability to report abuse and navigation improvements. We are now in the process of making some changes based on the feedback received in the beta test and hope to open up the beta to everyone in the coming few weeks.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now