Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 2 people viewing this thread.
Platini
23 Jul 18 11:58
| Topic/replies: 21,313 | Blogger: Platini's blog
Drawn to play AEK Athens in the 3rd and qualifier for Champions League.

Very tricky tie by the looks of it, esp with the disadvantage of playing 2nd leg away in Greece.

And yes I haven't forgotten there's still a 2nd round tier to get thru (v Rosenborg) but I would be hugely shocked if the hoops didn't get past them.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View GLASGOW CELTIC FC
Show More
Report akabula January 30, 2019 1:20 AM GMT
No matter how daft he can be Griffiths was a decent player for celtic.
BTW Eddy won't want to see another Scottish winter.
Report Platini January 30, 2019 1:39 AM GMT
what winter ??

its passed us by this year. (famous last words Wink )
Report trilby22 January 30, 2019 9:58 AM GMT
Mon the Saintees!  Tonight I'll mostly be laying the home side @ 1.23 and Celtic Win To Nil @ 2.06 Grin

Saints head to Celtic tonight in the Ladbrokes Premiership in a fixture rescheduled from December, with the manager and players looking to bounce back from Saturday's defeat at Tynecastle.

The two sides last met back in October in what was a day to forget for Saints at McDiarmid Park although it proved to be a catalyst for the club as we embarked on an eight match unbeaten run following that heavy defeat.

Looking ahead to the match, the manager is hoping for a response from his players after admitting it was a disappointing performance at Tynecastle on Saturday.

"Obviously it wasn't the result or performance that we wanted," Tommy said.

"Hearts seemed to have more energy than us and in hindsight I maybe should have freshened things up a bit more for the game but when you've won two games on the bounce it's difficult to make too many changes.

"We learn from it and we move on. Now our focus is on our next run of games which obviously starts by playing Celtic twice this week."

The sides met twice earlier in the season at McDiarmid Park - once in the Premiership and once in the Betfred Cup - but it's our first trip to Celtic Park this campaign.

Tonight's opponents have been formidable at home this season but the manager believes his players can come away with a positive result.

"I'm always confident we can get a result," he said, "and we've gone to Celtic and picked up positive results in the past as well.

"They've come back from the break in excellent form and they've made a few additions in the window already.

"Celtic's home form has been sensational so we're under no illusions and know it's going to be difficult tomorrow.

"We know they'll be likely to have more possession of the ball than us so we have to make sure we defend well, improve our retention of the ball from Saturday, and carry an attacking threat going forward to cause them trouble.

"Many people may look at it as though the next two games are gone and we're going to be out the cup next weekend just because we're playing Celtic but that's absolutely not how we're thinking.

"We believe we can go there on tonight and get a result and likewise when Brendan brings his side here on Sunday we'll be thinking that too."

On the injury front for tomorrow night's match, there are no new concerns with Brian Easton due to return to full training this week. The full-back has been out with a long-term injury but the manager is hoping to give him some minutes for the Reserves in the coming weeks.
Report Platini January 30, 2019 11:21 AM GMT
From a purely stats viewpoint, I make Celtic odds against wining all 3 games v the Saints.

If they do slip up in one of them, hopefully its in the Cup tie (with a draw)
Report Platini January 30, 2019 3:24 PM GMT
Benkovic could be out for the rest of the season after picking up a leg injury.

Massive loss for the hoops, the big man has been superb since joining the club.
Report themightymac January 30, 2019 4:14 PM GMT
He sure has.

Celtic -1.5 (Asian Hand) @ 4/6 looks a cracking bet tonight.
Report themightymac January 30, 2019 4:16 PM GMT
Plat, if you are sitting at Celtic Park with phone on hand, how big an advantage would you have on BF?

What would be the time differential be, iyo, between a goal going in and BF suspending the Market?
Report Platini January 30, 2019 4:49 PM GMT
LOL, not sure Mac. Very much doubt you'd beat the delay, what is it for SPL matches 5, maybe 7 seconds ?

Back in the day you could sometimes beat the clock with analogue radio Wink
Report Platini January 30, 2019 7:33 PM GMT
best bets for tonight

no goal in first 24 mins. Evs
St Johnstone +2 asian hcp at 4/5
Report MALAY January 30, 2019 9:33 PM GMT
The champions go 6 clear with a vastly superior goal average, just as well we have been poor this season. If it was a greyhound race you'd need to fling a cat on at third bend, if you were a sevconian to stop us going further away up the run in.
Report Platini January 30, 2019 10:01 PM GMT
FT Celtic 2 St Johnstone 0

1 bet weighed in, the other stake returned. and the hoops are 6 clear.

that'll do.
Report trilby22 January 30, 2019 10:10 PM GMT
Hope you had a good return, Plat.  WD.
Report Platini January 30, 2019 10:17 PM GMT
made a few bob. Could have been more but for a stonewaller denied at Central Park (according to reports).
Report Platini February 1, 2019 1:04 AM GMT
Celtic have signed a further 4 players on deadline night,

A couple of Young American players Andrew Gutman & Manny Perez will be coming in on loan.
Ukranian winger Maryan Shved, who'll be loaned back to his club for the remainder of this season.

and the main piece of business, Borrusia Dortmund defender Jeremy Toljan has been signed on loan for the rest of the season.
Report Platini February 1, 2019 1:16 AM GMT
but maybe the most interesting move is Mulumbu going back to Killie on loan.

Killie's best player rejoins the team Just in time for the upcoming cup tie  Laugh

and no, he's not cup-tied Laugh
Report akabula February 1, 2019 1:25 AM GMT
You missed the down side Plat.
Broonie has signed a new 2 year deal. Grin
Report Platini February 1, 2019 1:32 AM GMT
we all know the rest of the SPL were praying Bronnie would be off to Oz Wink

scunnered, he's trying for 10IAR Cool
Report akabula February 1, 2019 1:36 AM GMT
He'll be keeping a decent player out of the team so glad he's staying. Happy
Report Platini February 1, 2019 1:41 AM GMT
he won't be playing as many games, Aka. And I can see him moving back into the defensive area next season, esp if we don't solve our defensive deficit.
Report akabula February 1, 2019 1:48 AM GMT
If he does move back it will be interesting to see him and Morelos lock horns.
Report Platini February 1, 2019 2:01 AM GMT
aye Laugh
Report themightymac February 1, 2019 5:44 PM GMT
Broonie has been brilliant. Fierce in defence and Seldom loses the ball. Happy he has signed on.
Report akabula February 1, 2019 10:24 PM GMT
Plat just watched the Rangers tv  highlights and you were robbed of another chance.
Blatant hand ball but not seen by the ref.
Report themightymac February 2, 2019 4:15 PM GMT
Blatant penalty indeed. That`s life and that`s betting for you. Tough luck Plat.
Report Platini February 2, 2019 4:54 PM GMT
and just to rub it in, they go and get 4 (FOUR) penalties today Cry
Report Platini February 3, 2019 12:34 PM GMT
St Johnstone v Celtic. take 2

I'm on
Celtic not to win to nil - at 10/11
Report Platini February 3, 2019 1:49 PM GMT
HT 0-0

Celtic with all the possession but Saints have had the best chance of the game.

Celtic look a little lightweight up front, surely bring on some of the striking options on the the bench soon.
Report Platini February 3, 2019 1:51 PM GMT
Time for French Eddy..
Report Platini February 3, 2019 2:04 PM GMT
and he gets injured straight away, stretchered off Cry
Report Platini February 3, 2019 2:07 PM GMT
0-1
Report Platini February 3, 2019 2:11 PM GMT
Timmy Weah on as a sub for Edouard makes the goal for Forrest
Report Platini February 3, 2019 2:17 PM GMT
Saints push for a late equaliser and Celtic break quickly on them

Yeah finishes brilliantly.   2-0 Celtic
Report Platini February 3, 2019 2:17 PM GMT
Weah
Report Platini February 3, 2019 2:21 PM GMT
Ajer sent off for Celtic
Report Platini February 3, 2019 2:28 PM GMT
FT. St Johnstone 0 Celtic 2

Saints did very well in the first half, very well organised and the hoops were laboured.

Celtic much better 2nd half, esp when Weah came on. Comfy win in the end. Saints goalie made a string of top class saves.
Report akabula February 3, 2019 8:14 PM GMT
Great shout Plat. 10/1, hope you lifted plenty.
Came at a cost for celtic though with a few injuries.
Report Platini February 3, 2019 8:28 PM GMT
what you on about, Aka ?   bet lost (Celtic not to win to nil)  Laugh
Report akabula February 3, 2019 9:09 PM GMT

Sorry Plat as I've said my eyesight is really poor.
I read that as 2-0 @ 10/1.
Report akabula February 3, 2019 9:09 PM GMT
Pity I'm not yer bookie or ye'd be paid out. Laugh
Report akabula February 3, 2019 9:10 PM GMT
Two - nil ntw.
Report Platini February 3, 2019 9:25 PM GMT
Taxi to Specsavers ya rocket Laugh
Report G Hall February 3, 2019 9:32 PM GMT
How were Celtic not awarded a first half penalty it was blatant and rangers get four yesterday ExcitedLaugh
Report badjoe February 3, 2019 10:16 PM GMT
akabula • February 3, 2019 9:09 PM GMT

Sorry Plat as I've said my eyesight is really poor.
I read that as 2-0 @ 10/1.

Report akabula February 3, 2019 11:23 PM GMT
Penalties in all domestic competitions since Rodgers arrival...

2016-17
Rangers - 7
Celtic - 14

2017-18
Rangers - 8
Celtic - 9

2018-19
Rangers - 9
Celtic - 8

Total
Rangers - 24
Celtic - 31

Some conspiracy.
Report Sica Dan February 4, 2019 1:02 AM GMT
To get a fairer comparison you would need to know how many matches each team played.
Report Platini February 4, 2019 1:12 PM GMT
tbf the pens argument has never been about the numbers (altho 4 in one match is taking the p1ss Laugh) , but more about when they get awarded (game-changing moments, and in crucial games). Nobody's really bothered about the likes of St Murder (although buddy fans might take exception).
Report jamesdean February 4, 2019 5:06 PM GMT
Celtic obviously in the opposing teams box a lot more than sevco would be too as most of sevco's games
are 50/50 these days. Rightly tho, as plat has pointed out, it's about when they are given
Report akabula February 5, 2019 8:35 AM GMT
Dermot Gallagher did an analysis of them and only found issue with the 2nd one.
Report Platini February 5, 2019 1:48 PM GMT
Someone with a name like Dermot Gallagher should know better Wink
Report Platini February 6, 2019 6:32 PM GMT
Celtic v Hibs would normally be top billing (but there is another "big" game on tonight in the SPL Wink )

For a bet, I did consider a hoops win with possible BTTS , but I'm going with AUQ at just over 4/1.
With Lennon gone now, there's no more favours, nods, and winks going on with this fixture and we could see a return to normaliity, a good old fashioned gubbing.
Report jamesdean February 6, 2019 6:43 PM GMT
GL Plat.

Some right decent betting ops tonight. Fancy hearts celtic double around 7/5
Report Platini February 6, 2019 6:56 PM GMT
too right JD, nice looking set of fixtures

I also like Hearts and Killie, and strongly fancy Saints. Got a couple of acca combos.
Report Platini February 6, 2019 11:40 PM GMT
Rubbish effort with the bets the night.

But another cosy win for the hoops.  FT 2-0, goals from young Christie and another from new boy Burke.
Report akabula February 14, 2019 9:55 PM GMT
celtic 0 - 2 valencia
They can always cheer the fans up with a disco lights display as they leave.
Report Super Hans February 14, 2019 10:00 PM GMT
Brendan must have been targeting possession.
Never seem so many passes between the back 4 in one game.
Report Geesyerdosh February 14, 2019 10:12 PM GMT
Surely questions must be asked of Rodgers, they are garbage. Virtually the same wage bill as Valencia who left out their best players and hardly had to break sweat.

Izaguirre wouldn't get a game for Annan, Brown is past it. 60 million wage bill on rubbish. Theresa May must be negotiating the contracts.

They should be miles ahead in Scotland. Rodgers is an overrated dud who has mostly signed rubbish.
Report sofiakenny February 14, 2019 10:49 PM GMT
aye..fair assessment pal.
Report cool_hand_luke February 14, 2019 11:13 PM GMT
Brendan's problem is the SPL is utter garbage, in order for Celtic to be better in Europe they need a stronger challenge week in week out. Lets face it 4 games in a month against St Johnstone wont make you a better side. Celtic are now simply a business and not a club that can do anything better than win the SPL in a canter and be whipping boys in Europe. Glad to hear the Izaguirre comment above as every time I watch him I cant believe we resigned him. he is proper w@nk and should be replaced soonest
Report Geesyerdosh February 15, 2019 12:36 AM GMT
Izaguirre is so finished they would not be weaker with ten men. Can't run, can't pass, can't defend. Same for Lustig. However you can't just blame the SPFL for Celtic's problems.

5 wins out of 12 away from home suggests something else. Losses against Hibs and Hearts barely laying a glove on them. Well beaten out of sight by a bang average Rangers team. Rodgers sounds in interviews after a bad result like he barely cares half of the time, never angry. That passive attitude seems to pass to the players away from home.

He may be a good coach on the training field but not convinced he's a good manager. He said in his press conference that Valencia were well drilled with their pressing and positioning and so quick they can move around the pitch at the pace of the ball. Then why the hell try and get your back 5 to play out from the back which they were unable to do just for the sake of your 'philosophy'. No pace, no threat, just slow pointless passing for passing sake.

Celtic teams of the past were successful against better teams either by sitting in and hitting on the break or going more direct but they always got the crowd behind them with the effort, workrate and way they played. The way Rodgers team play they never look like they can defeat a team regarded as better than them.

Red Bull Salzburg have a 20 million lower wage bill, play in a rubbish league and totally outclassed Celtic. Their players had workrate, movement, technical ability, speed around the pitch and pressed as a unit. No fear and total confidence with or without the ball. A Scott Brown type who offers nothing nowadays wouldn't be entertained in their team.

They should be the template for any team looking to overachieve. Rodgers 'philosophy' of outpassing better teams is more like a fantasy than a realistic possibility.
Report themightymac February 15, 2019 1:05 AM GMT
If I were manager, I would fine the player every time he passed the ball backwards into their own half.

Rogers hasn`t a clue.

Izaguirre at fault for both goals. Played the guy onside for the first.

Second one he couldn`t catch up with the Spaniard who got a free run into the box. That was embarrassing. He looked like me running to catch the bus Crazy
Report themightymac February 15, 2019 1:05 AM GMT
celtic 0 - 2 valencia
They can always cheer the fans up with a disco lights display as they leave.

LaughLaugh
Report G Hall February 15, 2019 1:01 PM GMT
Even Ronny deila was able to win the spl
Report jamesdean February 15, 2019 1:38 PM GMT
Not sure it's BR's fault. More the money men in the back for me. We sell all our best players so apart from
the odd big signing like French eddie it's one in 5 out then he's no option but to play with the hand he's dealt.
He's got a nice blend of young Scottish players in the team who he has playing well and has the basis of a team that will
only get better with age. Also had a good few players out last night. That said, even at full strength, Valencia are a far superior
side anyway. It was hardly a shock result last night.

Salzburg are an exception with their wage bill rather than the norm and they were also beaten last night by a poor Brugge team.
We are what we are unfortunately and it's money that dictates that. On the home front, Brendan has us going for 3 back to back trebles
without getting out of 2nd gear. No other Scottish team has done that even the great sides that were miles ahead of the rest.
That's some achievement in any league regardless of the oppisition. Not really sure what else BR can do. Put it this way, is there
a manager out there that could/would've done better with the same restrictions? I doubt it

Hail Hail
Report MJK February 17, 2019 5:56 PM GMT
Fantastic end to today's game, and imagine how sickened a certain poster on here is now LaughLaugh
Report trilby22 February 17, 2019 5:58 PM GMT
WD Mr Aftertimer.

I did ever so well as it happens Cool
Report MJK February 17, 2019 6:24 PM GMT
Wouldn't be you I was referring to, even though your post doesn't seem to be a reference to mine(but just in case). I'll leave it at that as I wouldn't want anyone to take offence and get me banned.
Report sofiakenny February 17, 2019 10:02 PM GMT
dont worry ackie and his puppy tribly we arrive shortly..well maybe not.
Report akabula February 18, 2019 8:54 PM GMT
Shocking tackle from Broadfoot who was deservedly sent off but Brown makes tackles like that most games that are either ignored or given a yellow.
I actually laughed at the antics of the celtic players and their fans ott reaction. As Trilby says celtic need all the help they can get from the refs.
Report LoyalHoncho February 21, 2019 7:30 PM GMT
Celtic fans find that the behaviour they regularly exhibit in town centres all over Scotland is simply unacceptable is Spain.  It's never their fault though, is it?!
Report breadnbutter February 21, 2019 10:07 PM GMT
Beaten on the pitch but seem to be doing better off it ,trashing bars ,attacking cops and generally leaving a trail of destruction .     Hail Hail
Report penbud February 21, 2019 11:52 PM GMT
waving catalan flags at the spainish police is not the smartest thing to do
Report GLASGOWCALLING February 24, 2019 11:41 AM GMT
        Claude Puel sacked by Leicester City as club target Brendan Rodgers

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/24/claude-puel-sacked-leiceste...
Report G Hall February 26, 2019 12:38 PM GMT
If the self acclaimed Celtic fan Steven Gerrard had just waited for 8/9 months he could have become Celtic manager and been a manager of champions.
Report MALAY February 26, 2019 2:06 PM GMT
Good Luck Brendan thanks for the memories but it was time to go, you're wages were too much for Scottish fitba, hope to see a combination of Neil Lennon, Steve Clarke and Damien Duff guide us to 20 in a row.
Report penbud February 26, 2019 3:05 PM GMT
will be back in 18 months time when foxes sack em he is a big celtic fan
Report MALAY February 26, 2019 3:22 PM GMT
No chance will he be welcomed back but I appreciate why he has went. The whole English league context to him is more attractive then a massive club like Celtic who have no competition domestically when we are tuned in.
Gl to him and Leicester.
Report cool_hand_luke February 26, 2019 5:38 PM GMT
I suspect he would be welcome back, Lennon left and will be back to a hero welcome. Rodgers has won every trophy he competed for and has done Celtic well, everyone would understand if he went to a top 6 side, its just his choice we are confused over, a smaller club in a bigger league. Remember Virgil left for Southampton and look were he is now
Report MJK February 26, 2019 6:17 PM GMT
Top manager and hope he does well. Very disappointed he's going but its understandable. The timing thing shouldn't really matter as its not his fault that the Leicester manager got the sack when he did. The move to Leicester is only a stepping stone for a bigger EPL club anyhow. No doubt fans of Rangers are delighted he's going, the same ones who criticised him constantly.
Report MJK March 1, 2019 1:56 PM GMT
Have to say if I'd heard the full story before I'd posted I wouldn't have giving him the glowing reference I did.
Report sofiakenny March 1, 2019 3:00 PM GMT
what full story?
Report MJK March 1, 2019 5:01 PM GMT
I'm sure it will all come out no doubt. Lawell to blame re funding on the first occasion but I can now understand where he was coming from on the recent non investment. Dembele has also a very interesting story to tell should he wish to do so.
Report MALAY March 1, 2019 5:13 PM GMT
Nothing to with lawwell he went for the dough and the premiership bright lights. What non investment ? his wage bill is twice the size of ronny deila, and the form this season has been below deilas team
Report DOUBLED March 1, 2019 5:28 PM GMT
He will find it tougher in a proper league and not that Pub football in scotland
Report MJK March 1, 2019 5:41 PM GMT

Mar 1, 2019 -- 11:13AM, MALAY wrote:

Nothing to with lawwell he went for the dough and the premiership bright lights. What non investment ? his wage bill is twice the size of ronny deila, and the form this season has been below deilas team

As I say all will come out but Lawwell reneged on an original agreement(Rodgers wanted 3 players and all were in agreement in them) yet Lawwell reneged and none of the three were got. But I understand why recent agreements weren't kept with Rodgers, in hindsight.

Report jedi sophie March 1, 2019 10:39 PM GMT
China?
Report MJK March 2, 2019 7:49 AM GMT

Mar 1, 2019 -- 4:39PM, jedi sophie wrote:

China?

Indeed. Always wondered why Dembele said 'he's not the great leader you think he is'. Then it all clicked.

Report MALAY March 2, 2019 7:36 PM GMT
Magnificent start from Neil Lennon considering how poor the away form has been under Rodgers this season, "here  we go to 20 in a row".
Report MJK March 2, 2019 9:29 PM GMT
Very good second half on a poor pitch. Looking forward to the return of McGregor and Rogic though.
Report jedi sophie March 3, 2019 3:13 PM GMT
Lawwell is power crazy and money driven,hence his position.
He has indulged only the bare minimum to win the title since Rangers demise.
Only spent on Eddy because is an investment. The trebles just been a bonus as this one would be.
All about the cash for him....
And theres piles of it sat in Celtic bank,that wont be spent,his bonus depends on it.
Desmond imo lot to answer for too. Where is his ambition exactly?

Similar I think,win league with minimum outlay,qualify for CL.Who cares if get smashed,coin it in and repeat cycle.
Been mugging fans off for years but as long as keep winning titles dont care,even if actually going backwards or at best standing still on pitch.
Report Geesyerdosh March 9, 2019 5:22 PM GMT
If they give the job to Lennon you can give Rangers the title next season now. That's if they don't blow it this season.

He is a charlatan of a manager with enthusiasm, anger and nothing else. The Hibs captain said they didn't do any tactical analysis of the opposition. No way will the likes of PSG loan their players with him in charge.
Report themightymac March 9, 2019 6:04 PM GMT
I heard on the Green grapevine that Wenger is lined up for the job.
Report akabula March 9, 2019 8:26 PM GMT
Do you mean Wagner from the xfactor.
Report sofiakenny March 9, 2019 8:30 PM GMT
you missing yer wee dug ackie?
Report akabula March 9, 2019 8:42 PM GMT
Kennybhoy I might have been too quick to laugh at you saying Third Lanarks groundwas on the Cathkin braes.
Found this when in Glasgow last week and took a snap for you.
Report akabula March 14, 2019 1:45 AM GMT
Makes a change from sevcoing.
Report G Hall March 17, 2019 1:28 PM GMT
Time to lump on over 1.5 @ 1.80
Report G Hall March 17, 2019 1:51 PM GMT
Come on bhoys
Report MJK March 17, 2019 2:28 PM GMT
A Happy St Patrick's Day to you all LaughLaugh
Report themightymac March 17, 2019 5:39 PM GMT
Never in doubt. Wink
Report G Hall March 17, 2019 6:21 PM GMT
Champions Happy St Patrick's Day.