Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ac
20 Jul 18 13:18
| Topic/replies: 18,476 | Blogger: ac's blog
Where has the everton transfer thread gone ?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Everton transfer stuff
Show More
Report DixiEnormus August 1, 2018 2:49 PM BST
we now have legs on the flanks
coleman walcot
richalrison digne 
made massive difference to man city so hopefully we can progress
Report Capt__F August 1, 2018 3:09 PM BST
dixie normas bettor
Report TheGoldenVision August 5, 2018 11:32 AM BST
Looking like we still can't defend so I reckon it's gonna be a long, long season Sad
Report miscreant man August 5, 2018 8:49 PM BST
Just heard Mina is done.
Report Captain carnage August 6, 2018 4:03 PM BST
Thank God. 2 more centre halfs and we my have something to build on.

Charwell you goat. Its way, way, better to have witnessed dross after dross, after cast off has beens. Than to have had some truly world class players and won fnnnck all. The later is v v painful.
Report Captain carnage August 6, 2018 4:06 PM BST
If youv'e never had serious dough you think its bad not to have it but it doesn't hurt, you dont even know what yoru missing.

If you've had the cake and then go skint that is serious pain.
Report easykc1 August 6, 2018 5:43 PM BST
still no mina confirmed another guess by miscreant?
Report Captain carnage August 6, 2018 10:26 PM BST
Who cares theres a million of them in africa. Get Yobo back. Anyone who can `run fast'.
Report ac August 9, 2018 11:16 AM BST
Calm before the storm.
Report Insanity Later August 9, 2018 5:15 PM BST
miscreant man
05 Aug 18 20:49
| Topic/replies: 13,117 | Blogger: miscreant man's blog
Just heard Mina is done.

Never a moments worry. Happy

Bernard and Gomes also done.
Report ac August 9, 2018 5:30 PM BST
Very good transfer window.
Report Insanity Later August 9, 2018 5:34 PM BST
Looks like Kurt Zouma on loan too.
Report Swagger August 9, 2018 5:48 PM BST
Excellent transfer window.

Shame we didn't offload some of the dead wood but that will happen over time.

Tosun is far too slow to play in the type of system Silva will play but he will be serviceable with Richarlison,Bernard and either Walcott/Sigurdsson in behind.

Mina could be immense and should Zouma signs then that should put the pressure on Keane to buck up his ideas.

Gomez has potential - good risk to take for such little liability.

We have excellent full backs.

We need a few more to really get ahead of ourselves but boy we are looking so much better than when we got turned over by West Ham a few months back!
Report miscreant man August 9, 2018 6:53 PM BST
Wink
Report miscreant man August 9, 2018 9:42 PM BST
Vlasic gone Besic soon to go hopefully Bolaise and Martina to follow
Report gotitwrong- August 9, 2018 9:43 PM BST
zouma loan gone through ,mm ?
Report miscreant man August 9, 2018 9:52 PM BST
They don't know,but they think it is.
Report gotitwrong- August 9, 2018 9:57 PM BST
fingers crossed then
Report miscreant man August 9, 2018 10:11 PM BST
I do know we had a deal in principle to buy Rojo from Man U but as they haven't purchased anyone I assume they wouldn't let him go so we got Zouma as a last minute dash.
Report Value Seeker August 10, 2018 11:07 AM BST
Not saying this just because we might or might not of signed him but I always thought Zouma looked a player.

Is it done or not ?

What a cracking transfer window. Them that said that Moshiri was a fraud, not the real deal, etc, can be put back in their box for a while.
The line of their attack was he’s not a football man, he’s not THAT rich. Successful men surround themselves with successful people and in Walsh and Koeman he thought he’d done that but had the balls to realise that that wasn’t working and did something about it. Big Sam was a desperate knee jerk reaction born of fear but again he’s had the courage of his convictions and bitten the bullet and now he’s replaced Koeman and Walsh with Brands and Silva.

They may or may not be more successful but these signings feel much more strategic. Players of the right age and ability to fit areas where we’re clearly lacking. Last seasons signings, Pickford was the only one I was 100% happy with. Gylfi I thought we’d over paid for, Sandro was a risk worth taking as he cost no money and Rooney we just didn’t need. It all felt very scatter gun. This seasons feels much more measured and controlled. The Richarlison signing had me fearful that Silva was going to turn into Roberto signing all his former clubs players but fortunately he hasn’t returned for Cleverley !

It is as ever the hope that kills you but if we continue as we are with money to compete and can get the new ground sorted then there is a hope that we can again start living up to our motto. Not tomorrow, not any time very soon but at some stage in my lifetime I would hope.

For what it’s worth I fear defeat at Wolves. That defence in pre season has been shocking and I’m assuming Mina won’t be playing and it’s going to take some time to sort and I can see us conceding at least two a game until it is.

I’ll be there tomorrow night and as ever we live in hope.
Report ac August 10, 2018 5:07 PM BST
Zouma has signed on a season long loan.
Report DixiEnormus August 10, 2018 5:40 PM BST
top6 here we come Excited
Report Captain carnage August 10, 2018 9:56 PM BST
Not sure whats to get excited about.

Minas main claim to fame is scoring goals from corners - unfortunately he is not the striker we need. To go into a Prem season having spent untold the
last 16 months with   Toshun, Niasse, Calvert-Lewin and Ramirez is utterly laughable.

We have bought another bunch of midfield/number 10 types who were on a free, loan or didnt show a tap 2nd half of last season.

Hopefully we now have a left back with legs and any centre half in the top 2 leagues in any european lague would have been better than
Keane/Williams/Holgate. I suppose loanee Zouma who helped get Stoke relegated fits the bill.
Report Captain carnage August 10, 2018 10:02 PM BST
Also what is this `Buy back' option for Mina?

So if he does take off and become worth 60 mill we have to sell him back to Barcelona for about 35m?

If he is the standard gash we have done our 28mill.
Report Value Seeker August 12, 2018 8:00 PM BST
All a bit negative there CC.

We can’t fix the squad in one window from where we were but I’m happy with what we’ve done.

I like what Silva said in the press conference.

Richarlison (21) replaces Mirallas (31)
Mina (23) and Zouma (23) replace Funes Mori (27) and Ashley Williams (34)
Digne (25) replaces no one / Cuco ? (29)
Bernard 25) replaces Rooney (33)

Not sure what there is not to like.

Yes we don’t know if Tosun is any good and clearly I’m not sure he’d get close to any of the top 6 on what we’ve seen but we need to just evolve.

Not sure about the by back clause, I guess that’s why the negotiations dragged on ?

I’m just happy with what we’ve seen. Last season felt like kids in a sweet shop, this seasons buying feels like there is actuall a plan, a strategy.
Report TheGoldenVision August 13, 2018 8:05 AM BST
Never understood this "buy back" nonsense. Talk about having you cake and eating it. How about including a "sell back" clause. That'll even it up.

If the player ends up brilliant you can buy him back BUT if it turns out he's a complete turkey we can sell him back.

That makes sense.
Report Value Seeker August 13, 2018 12:36 PM BST
I suppose it’s simply because the selling club hold all the cards.

With Barcelona I guess he’d have to play especially well for them to want him back to actually play in their first team but I guess if he impresses enough to increase his value is there anything to stop them buying him back at the agreed figure just to sell him on again at a higher figure just to turn a profit ?

Feels wrong. Something the governing bodies might want to look at perhaps ?
Report ian merseyside August 13, 2018 4:08 PM BST
If the Mina "buy back" terms are as stated below then it is certainly a poor deal for Everton and the person who made the decision must be praying he doesn't turn out to be a flop.
Report Value Seeker August 13, 2018 4:37 PM BST
Not really understanding your logic there Ian ?

If he had been bought without a buy back clause and he flops we've done our dough either way.

If he is a success and we keep him if Barcelona aren't interested in having him back then good

If he is a raging success and they invoke the buyback clause then we get a solution to a massive problem this season and get to double our money.

Also does the player have any say in the matter. What if he has no desire to return.

Do they have to play him for a number of games to prove they aint just invoked the clause to turn a profit.

Lots of questions, not great but not sure its a massive problem.
Report miss.wales August 13, 2018 4:51 PM BST
Enjoyed the game, which I couldn't say very often last season. It was also good to visit one of the old stadiums with a  bit of character rather than the likes of the Olympic stadium or the Etihad etc. The locals tell me that the owners are potentially looking to move out of town, which will be a tragedy.

One or two players still badly out of touch but I thought Baines put in a real solid performance and he's going to be hard to displace at this point in time.

As for the Jagielka incident. In my day it would have been "great tackle la" - nowadays it's a red card apparently. Utter nonsense.
Report ian merseyside August 13, 2018 6:00 PM BST
You make a fair point Value Seeker that if he is a great success and then Everton end up making a massive profit from selling him back to Barca.  I was basing my argument on Barca maybe being able to enforce a fee that is way below his true market value.  According to the Spanish newspaper La Marca the buy back would be a fixed fee of £54m. If this is true then I agree, it is a good deal.  I suppose none of us know the exact terms of the deal though.
Report TheGoldenVision August 13, 2018 6:15 PM BST
I have agree with Garth Crooks Blush... the Jagielka challenge shows why FIFA didn't have one prem referee at this years World Cup. Over officious with very little common sense.

They should all be sacked.

In future, even thinking of throwing in a sturdy challenge will be a red card offence.Laugh
Report ian merseyside August 13, 2018 6:27 PM BST
I totally agree about Jagielka's challenge.  I didn't even think it was a foul. I was surprised Shearer on MOTD agreed with the decision, although that may have been "scripted" to have a mock argument with Ian Wright.
Report Value Seeker August 13, 2018 8:39 PM BST
We still gave away two goals that were totally preventable. I said pre game that we look like conceding two every game and so it proved.

If Jags touch is better then no need to give the ref a decision.
If Pickford trusts his wall he saves it.

If Keane gets goal side of his man he clears the cross.

All a bit disappointing especially as Keane was seemingly having one of his better games.

As you say miss wales I enjoyed it. Even down to ten we didn’t give up on the game.

Southampton on Saturday will be interesting.well they’ll all be interesting for quite some time to come as we see who he plays and how he lines the team up.
My only annoyance with his team selection was him putting Sandro on the bench and not Lookman.
Report Captain carnage August 13, 2018 11:47 PM BST
A positive display overall with energy, organisation and heart.

However, we conceded from 2 poor mistakes from central defenders who should not be anywhere
near the first team if we have pretentions to challenging the top 6. Jags was class at thiss level in his day but has been on the slide for 3 years and is now a complete liability. Keane was woeful week in week out last year. Possibly the worst buy for big money in the clubs history and Silva would only have had to watch a handful of matches last season to see this. Why was he in the starting eleven?
Report Value Seeker August 14, 2018 3:46 PM BST
Because we had no one else available CC ??
Report Value Seeker August 14, 2018 5:30 PM BST
Lots of Usmanov wibble on twitter today with some positive quotes seemingly having originated from the man himself. would that be a game changer, in terms of owner wealth would that satisfy Nil Satis Nisi Optimum ??
Report Captain carnage August 14, 2018 11:30 PM BST
Yes VS that is a very simplistic explanation.

However, I would suggest Silva has studied the teams performances in depth for many months.

It astounds me that he did not insist on day 1 that 3-4 high quality central defenders were needed as a matter of the utmost urgency.
That there was not a single centre half at the club that would get anywhere near the squad of any one of the top 6/7 clubs in England.

Why were we left in a situation were we had Jags (totally shot), Keane (nowhere near top half prem quality) and Holgate (nowhere near Prem quality)
to fight for places on Saturday whilst we made 1 signing and a loan at the last possible second in that position!

Who is to blame? Sila, Brands, Moshiri?
Report Value Seeker August 17, 2018 5:43 PM BST
You can only do so much CC. Not sure what you want them to do ? Go out and sign a bench warmer just to get us past one or two games ?

Mina isn’t available tomorrow, injured I see, but Zouma is.

Why does there always has to be someone to blame ?

Klippety went half a season to get the man he wanted, no point wasting transfer fees and wages on players he doesn’t really want. I’m totally relaxed now he got the players we did on the last day. Looks a decent squad that we can build on and the average age has reduced considerably.
Report ac August 18, 2018 7:03 PM BST
More positives than negatives , thought the ice man played well.
Report Captain carnage August 19, 2018 5:21 PM BST
Well if there isnt someone/dozens of people to blame for the utter gash we have produced for the last 30 years then shoot me down with a bazooka!
Report Value Seeker August 25, 2018 11:10 AM BST
Am I allowed to say I’m genuinely looking forward to watching us this afternoon ? Not really the blue way to be excited and optimistic is it but after Wolves and Sarfamptun and the rubbish served up last season I’m genuinely looking forward to seeing us play some football, get men forward.

We’ve not seemed to do much down there, as I didn’t have 29 away credits I ain’t going !! Shocked. Fair play to those that have.

Just hoping I can find a dodgy link somewhere ?
Report miscreant man August 27, 2018 11:58 AM BST
Really disappointing to have only five points and to have had 2 players sent off this season. Jags' decision was terrible and why didn't the ref on Saturday give both lads a telling off? He missed two blatant penalties - Holgate for Bournemouth and Tosun for us - and there was a lunge on Seamus was the the most dangerous tackle and he gave a corner!

Bring back Bobby Madely!
Report DaSizzler August 27, 2018 6:45 PM BST
defending from set pieces is atrocious.
its cost us goals against southampton and bournemouth
hopefully mina and zouma sort this out
Report easykc1 August 28, 2018 12:33 AM BST
lot more positive play this season so its not a bad start , ive seen more good play already that the whole of last season but thats not saying much tbf ,get the new players in and we could get a good cup run
Report DixiEnormus August 28, 2018 3:50 PM BST
top 6 for the boys this yr  Love
Report FugginGerryn August 29, 2018 6:29 PM BST
Any truth in rumours that both Mina and Gomes are out for a few months?

It's a bad news rumour so it's obviously correct.
Report miscreant man August 29, 2018 11:02 PM BST
Gomes is true.
Report miscreant man August 29, 2018 11:30 PM BST

Aug 27, 2018 -- 6:45PM, DaSizzler wrote:

defending from set pieces is atrocious.its cost us goals against southampton and bournemouthhopefully mina and zouma sort this out

Cost us again tonight. The defending wasn't great again.

Report Value Seeker August 31, 2018 1:02 PM BST
Agree with all that’s been said.

The defending is scary. Zonal marking which is what we appear to be trying to do just allows the opposition to get a run on you.
It was apparent pre season and has not improved any subsequently and again a simple free header from a corner let Rotherham in and they had a number of other opportunities they failed to take.

We’re so much more entertaining to watch and I genuinely look forward to going now compared to last season which was a chore.

Got to remain very positive, we look like scoring, Gylfi looks the biz now and Richalison impressed with his effort as well as his ability. Davies had his best game in an age having been woeful for months, let’s hope he’s turned a corner and we get back the player we saw previously.
Not sure about Cenk and Niasse was comedy gold (but I still like him) and DCL still doesn’t convince despite a quality second goal.
It’s all interesting but he needs to sort that defence.
Report miss.wales August 31, 2018 3:34 PM BST
We'll get an opportunity to see whether we cope any better without Jags and Keane as they're both out for a few weeks, as is Mina apparently.

It looks like Holgate will get a real chance over the next month or so. He's done OK up to now but we haven't played anyone of quality as yet.

At first glance Digne looked pretty useful but again the caveat is how good the opposition were. IMO Baines will still take some dislodging.

I thought Dowell had an excellent second half after looking out of his depth early on. I'm quite hopeful that he could become a regular, particularly as he seems to fit in with Silva's style.

In my view it's infinitely preferable having mid-table opposition at the start of the season, especially under a new manager, but we won't see a true measure of our progress (or lack of it!)until we have played Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs in the space of 9 games between 27/10 and 22/12.

Whatever happens from now on, it feels like the season is about positives rather than week after week of Allardyce trying to justify the dross we were serving up, with an insistence that it was all about saving us.

Not having to look at his face or listen to his voice any more is so liberating for me, so Lord knows what the players must feel like.
Report Captain carnage September 2, 2018 1:38 AM BST
Yes absuletely differet class this new fella.

One shot on target at home versus the worst team in the league.

Also leaking goals that BFS would be frothing at the mouth over.

But hey, apparantly its all a lot more attactive - or is it just the name?
Report Captain carnage September 2, 2018 1:40 AM BST
Anything knew feels good, different, better. Be it your bird, job, football manager.

Then after a few weeks ou think. **** its the same old caarp, in fact probably even worse.
Report Value Seeker September 2, 2018 11:14 PM BST
Not really sure what you’re suggesting CC ? Silva needs to go ?

You’re not surely judging him after four games ?

After last seasons dross I see improvement but Saturday was frustrating. Being unable to break down a side that comes to set out to defend on mass and frustrate is indeed nothing new and the failure to defend set pieces is scary but I’m happy with the fact we seem to have a plan. Buying players of the right age and looking to raise the pace and energy.

Saturday was just frustrating. Too many of them not on it. Davies poor again, Seamus not the player we know he can be, I could go on.

Just one of those days but way too early to be writing him off, especially given how many players we have out.

My biggest concern were the subs.

Thought Digne did well so really didn’t understand the Baines sub and taking Gylfi off when we needed some one to unpick their defence seemed the wrong call.

I’d have probably had Davies off, drop Gylfi a little deeper and see if Dowell couldn’t find that killer ball.
Report Racingqueen September 3, 2018 12:30 AM BST
Its Roberto Martinez mark II
Report Captain carnage September 3, 2018 7:25 PM BST
No I am not writing him off and I dont want him sacked.

No one on earth, including his own family know if Silva is any good or not.

I would think it is decent odds-on he is not as good a manager as Fat Sam so I am
surprised at the lack of concern at 1 shot on target v Huddersfield.

He also slagged off all the bench this morning. `We didnt have anything on the bench that could change anything'.

Its obviously a current motivational trend of Portueguse managers to make their players feel useless in order for them to play to their best.
Report TheGoldenVision September 4, 2018 10:21 AM BST
What's with this zonal marking rubbish. It's just an invitation for the opposition to score. Obviously we either don't understand it or can't do it.

Have you seen Mr Silvas goals against tally when he was at Hull and Watford? Horrendous figures!

Get Big Sam back as defensive co-ordinator and we may finally show a bit of steel at the back.

Another thing... why do the other lot buy players who hit the ground running whereas most of our signings go stright to the treatment room for a few months?
Report Captain carnage September 16, 2018 4:37 PM BST
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Possible points deduction as well?

What price BFS or Pulis in to save us by christmas?
Report DixiEnormus September 19, 2018 2:46 PM BST
bernard looked good, maybe Richardson up front and wallcot on right next game ?  also would prefer to play with two no 8,s in midfield with an no 6. thoughts ?
Report TheGoldenVision September 22, 2018 9:31 PM BST
Dreading tomorrow.

It's shaping up to us getting our annual footballing lesson at the Emirates.

This is early days but this result will say an awful lot about our ability and desire. At the moment they both look to be seriously lacking. Mr Silva can't be blamed for former but the desire part is firmly in his court.

Anything less than 100% effort will be scandalous.

COYB
Report easykc1 September 23, 2018 6:05 AM BST
put your money on the blues we will beat arsenal today ,correct score will be arsenal 1 everton 2 just need first goalscorer now so my moneys on richarlision but will settle for anyone
Report Captain carnage September 23, 2018 3:49 PM BST
OMFG after hundreds of millions spent we play Arsenal away early season and in the starting eleven we have:-
Keane, Zouma, Kenny, Davies, DCL.

In the history of world sport has there been a bigger balls up by everyone involved in putting this team together.
Report Captain carnage September 23, 2018 4:19 PM BST
20 minutes in the commentary team are talking about DCL having all the attributes of a prem player and a possible England slot. 

That after witnessing possibly the worst 20 mins of an Everton striker since Brett Angel.
Report TheGoldenVision September 23, 2018 6:47 PM BST
Dominate but don't score... concede and then fall apart... spend the last 20 mins pumping ball after ball into a crowded penalty area and watch as the opposition handle each and every one of them. But keep doing it.

I thought Mr Silva was some kind of tactical genius?

This is no different than Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce.

At least Sam knew how not to get beat.

It goes on at Everton.... on and on and on. Useless.
Report Aspro September 23, 2018 7:11 PM BST
Bit harsh TGV but I know where you're coming from; seen it too often with Spurs

Thought you played well and were hard done by with the second goal. That doesn't get given and you're still well in the game and I fancy you don't go for pumping the ball in. OK, West Ham you were very poor but away to Arsenal is no mean feat, yet you equipped yourself well. Plenty to believe in after today.

That's my take anyway. Good luck!
Report TheGoldenVision September 23, 2018 7:54 PM BST
Cheers aspro for your comments.

I suppose it's years and years of frustration coming out.

Change the team, change the personnel, change the manager (repeatedly) and it's still the same disappointing result.

Fulham next. With all respect to them, it 'should' be a comfortable home win... watch this space!!!!
Report mafeking September 23, 2018 8:08 PM BST
know you've been poor away for a while but shocked to see it's only 3 wins from the last 30. takes a lot of doing to be that inept
Report Captain carnage September 23, 2018 10:36 PM BST
1 win in last 47 away against the top 6.

Its not just a losing culture its a plague that needs rooting out from the core up.
Report Captain carnage September 23, 2018 10:42 PM BST
Our new captain/centre-mid has his best game away from home in the shirt and we lose 2-0.
That and the continued excellence of Richarlison was only bright spot.

Zouma is hopeless, a pathetic panic last second loan.

DCL may make a living in Div I but I feel for the lad and anyone who pays
money at this level to watch him. He has pace and is a willing runner. Thats were any attributes end.
There are dozens of his type in the Championship and Div I - most who are better.

Walcott was a complete disgrace in the second half. Totally switched off mentally. Refused to track back or even make the most rudimentary attempts at helping his full back.
Report TheGoldenVision September 23, 2018 10:58 PM BST
Everton are slowly, season after season, migrating down to the swamp of also ran nonentities. Very soon, the season after next maybe, they'll find themselves favourites to be relegated.

Sad, sad, sad.
Report miss.wales September 24, 2018 9:58 AM BST
I thought that was our best performance, home or away, for about two years.

Competed for virtually the whole game, with as much high-tempo passing football as we have ever played. But for the poor finishing from Calvert-Lewin, Walcott and Richarlison we win the game.   

When you consider what we were served up at Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham last year, this was light years ahead. Massive improvements in the play of the likes of Davies, Kenny and Keane and the emergence of others like Bernard and Digne who are so comfortable on the ball.

There's still a way to go but much to look forward to with the starting eleven having an average age of 24.

Real progress IMO, for the first time in 10 years.
Report Johnny_Mustang September 24, 2018 12:41 PM BST
Can we play you mugs every week please?
Report Captain carnage September 29, 2018 5:27 PM BST
Interesting how people see things differently.

Yes we created chances against Arsenal but I suggest that was because of the home teams better quality players way underperforming and having little defensive organisation.

For me trying to play Man City/Lpool/Chelsea/Arsenal at their own game but with inferior players is laughable. If we invested in top 6 quality players then yes try and compete on equal terms. Unfortunately we only have Coleman who may get a game in one of those teams.

I would much prefer to go to those places with a defensive plan, frustate/negate the better teams talents
and try to get points then be sitting ducks.
Report Value Seeker September 29, 2018 7:01 PM BST
I typed this on notes during the last week and didn’t realise I hadn’t posted it....

I’m with you miss wales.

Not a lot wrong with the performance last week but without a proven finisher we didn’t take our chances and conceded a worldy and an off side goal.

My eldest is always very upset when we lose but he was surprisingly upbeat on the way back up the M1. The performance I thought was good, the finishing wasn’t.

Davies had his second decent game in three, Kenny and Digne did ok, Digne looks an asset, Keane alongside Zouma looked better, Gana was excellent and Richarlison continues to impress.

DCL is aconcern. Poor finishing, poor decision making, it’s just not happening yet and the longer it goes on the more unlikely it seems he’s going to develop into a player of sufficient quality.

Tosun looked a finisher last year and also worked hard but he’s been under whelming this season and Theo I thought was bang average. He seems to have stopped taking players on and running at them. I’d like to see more of Bernard and or Lookman to keep Theo on his toes.
Despite all of that we still created plenty, I see genuine signs of encouragement and hope, it’s too early to judge either way but I’m happy with the signings, happy with what we seem to be trying to do and the way we seem to be wanting to play.
Report Value Seeker September 29, 2018 7:25 PM BST
I can’t agree cc.

If we’re to compete then if we have no money then fair enough, go for the big Sam / dogs of war approach which you propose but we have now and if we’re to progress then I’m happy we’re buying players of the right age.

I’m happy with the high tempo passing pressing game he’s trying to instill. Not sure why you’d want to see more big Sam football which was horrible to watch and not particularly successful. We have tried your proposed approach last season and got mullered away at Chelsea, Arsenal, it’s soul destroying.
What we saw last week gave me hope.

Pickford
Seamus
Baines until very recent times
Digne
Mina (maybe?)
Walcott
Bernard
Gomes (maybe ?)
Sigurdsson
Richarlison

All quality players, plenty to do but that’s a basis of a squad, a finisher is definitely required to convert the chances.
Report Captain carnage September 30, 2018 3:23 PM BST
I would suggest there is a big middle ground to Guardiola's/Klopps style high-press, total football with top class players v Allydyce relegation fight style, organisation, defence first, percentage football with average prem footballers.

Why not allow Allydyce to overhaul our spine and make us much stronger defensively this summer (which we clearly have not done) whilst giving him the funds to add creative/pacey type players re: Walcott. I would suggest that would have delivered us 7th place easy this season, been competitive in games against the big 6 and possibly a strong cup run.

If we then couldn't break the top 6 but had a sensible defensive base we could allow a Martinez/Silva type
to go for glory with just the plan A (no plan B) or as some people call it `a philosophy' lol.

As it stands I think we will find ourselves battered at times away from home and then produce 3-0 type displays against less mentally strong teams at home.

It seems to me most evertonians now prefer to watch some nice football at home every 2 weeks and are apathetic about where we finish, how we perform away or in the cup competitions.
Report Captain carnage September 30, 2018 3:24 PM BST
Ps. VS.

Walcott
Bernard
Gomes (maybe ?)
Sigurdsson
Richarlison

Can you explain how a team with those players filled with them defend against high class teams without
embarrased?
Report Value Seeker September 30, 2018 4:41 PM BST
I have no problem with pragmatic. Moyes did pragmatic very well but I can’t have Big Sam.
I list players that I think would interest top 6 teams, you suggested only Seamus fits that bill but I disagreed. The ones you list are not defenders but with Sigurdsson and Richarlison both defend well from the front I feel.  Clearly you’re not going to play them all at once.
I should have included Gana in there who after an indifferent spell looks back to the player we signed.
Report DIE LINKE September 30, 2018 4:50 PM BST
A cross between Guardiola's/Klopps style high-press and the dire defensive dross Allardyce serves up? Pressing as far as the half-way line!
Report Captain carnage September 30, 2018 7:03 PM BST
Richarlison has shown promise and works v hard, like he did first half of last season. If he did it for a full season the big boys may have a sniff.

Gylfi - please. He is pathetic defensively and a luxury the top boys will always be happy without.
Report TheGoldenVision October 2, 2018 8:12 PM BST
League Cups... played 57 won 0

COYB
Report TheGoldenVision October 2, 2018 10:00 PM BST

CrySadCry
Report TheGoldenVision October 3, 2018 9:47 AM BST
Seriously, I think Mr Silva is no better than any of the last 4 managers we've had.

Does he not get it? Why not try to win some silverware?

Oh, that's right. He's copying Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs, United and Arsenal. Playing weakened teams in second rate cup comps so we can concentrate on winning the Premiership.

Lunacy... but the football is better!

Is it? Really?
Report Value Seeker October 3, 2018 10:37 AM BST
He may well be no better TGV but again last night I thought we played some nice stuff and the players he’s brought in I’m happy with.

I was ok’ish with the team, Steklenberg apart and maybe Dowell we could have done without. I can see no need to play second string goalies especially when your second string truly is second rate.

If he is or isn’t a decent manager for us however is not clear but I see better football and it’s way too early to be making decisions about how good or bad he is. We could have won every single game we’ve played this season if we take just some of our chances, you definitely couldn’t say that last season as we created so few.

It’s early days and we ain’t going down. We need to give the bloke time but I was annoyed that he started Steklenburg especially.
Report Value Seeker October 3, 2018 10:57 AM BST
For what it’s worth TGV it’s not just the top six that field weakened teams, they all do, it just seems to be the accepted norm but to me it’s just wrong. Wrong for teams like ourselves.

I had no problem with say Bernard getting a start over Theo, that is fine, but just one or two of the players that are really knocking on the door ?
Report TheGoldenVision October 3, 2018 6:15 PM BST
VS... you're dead right of course. My problem is, after 56 years of supporting Everton, each year brings more disappointment piled on top of a mountain of disappointment.

We're never gonna have any sort of run at the top places... 6th is our most reasonable target and even that only brings cr@p Euro football as a reward.... so why don't we go full tilt at achievable silverware?

I'd take a day out at Wembley over year after year of rubbish results.

I think I'll stop posting until at least 48hrs have elapsed since our last game!

Anyway, for what it's worth...

COYB
Report Value Seeker October 4, 2018 4:35 PM BST
Agree 100% TGV

I don’t do the Euro aways for a lads p1ss up and I really don’t want to be in the Europa League. I like you just want to go to Wembley and win something, anything, maybe even the horse of the piggin year show, anything, that would be a start. A cup semi win and a trip to Wembley, is that too much to ask once every few years but despite our illustrious history we have never ever won the poxy League Cup and I’d be very happy to do so.

If and when we progress and we can compete with the top 6 then maybe then a Europa League place might be of interest.
Report tobermory October 6, 2018 11:15 PM BST
Bernard looks good.
Report Value Seeker October 7, 2018 8:45 AM BST
Bernard Love
Report sparrow October 7, 2018 9:45 AM BST
Best game of football I've seen so far this season MOTD.
Report Captain carnage October 7, 2018 4:51 PM BST
No one spotted Bernard give the ball away cheaply for their equaliser and jog back at his own pace
in an attempt to retrieve the situation?
Report Value Seeker October 8, 2018 9:48 AM BST
Is that the only thing you took from Saturdays performance cc ? Shocked
Report miss.wales October 8, 2018 4:18 PM BST
The signs are there that we are taking steps to bring this team into the modern era.

Attacking threat from both flanks, pressing at crucial parts of the game, forward players who are comfortable on the ball and two solid centre-mids (Gana is there already, Davies is only 20 and on his way).

JJK obviously got skinned once on Saturday but I think he'll learn from it. His overall game has come on leaps and bounds, even since Coleman got injured.

Either Keane or Zouma needs to be superceded by someone with pace, and I don't know how quick Mina is.

The main shortcoming at the moment is a lack of firepower in front of goal. I'm afraid Tosun is out of his depth and whilst I wouldn't give up on DCL yet, he's not going to get us 15/20 goals in a season at this stage of his career.

Looking forward to Old Trafford with more optimism than any time since Davey Boy was manager but we're still some way away from going to Anfield or the Etihad with a chance.

11/2 w/o the top 6 (ew 1/3 1,2) looks a bet to nothing.

Keep the faith.
Report Value Seeker October 8, 2018 5:02 PM BST
Cc, just watching the extended highlights on EFCtv and Bernard indeed plays a return header to Gueye in a tight spot and Gueye loses out in the tussle for the ball, Bernard immediately retreats then moves towards Pereira after making the header and goes to him as he receives the ball but he gets done by a neat one two with Iheanacho and immediately turns and runs full pelt for about 20 yards before realising he ain’t getting close to catching Pereira and then eases up as he sees Kenny coming out to him. Kenny is then done like a kipper twice before he slots. Not really sure your description of events matches the reality.

I just thought we put in a good performance, exciting to watch, lots of talent and ability on show and plenty to get excited about. So different to the dross we had to endure last season. He might be the new Mythinez but that as an away day was as good as anything we’ve seen in recent times.

So much to build on and the signings that are making the difference are Silva / Brands.

Digne looks class as does
Bernard despite your reservations,
Zouma I think helps Keane,
Richarlison I was underwhelmed by when announced, felt like Martinez signings his ex players who all turned out to be average to poor.

We still have Mina and Gomes to come.

What’s more the squad has suddenly become so much more youthful. Rooney, Williams, et al out of the door. There’s currently very little not to like.

Zonal marking and the defence is still a big concern and the lack of a proven striker that is better than what we have but from where I’m sat I’m happy we’re moving in the right direction.
Report DixiEnormus October 9, 2018 3:05 PM BST

Sep 19, 2018 -- 2:46PM, DixiEnormus wrote:

bernard looked good, maybe Richardson up front and wallcot on right next game ?

Report Captain carnage October 10, 2018 12:22 AM BST
`There’s currently very little not to like.'

Then next breath
`Zonal marking and the defence is still a big concern and the lack of a proven striker that is better than what we have'.

We are 11th the league and out of the league cup - happy days.
Report Value Seeker October 11, 2018 2:57 PM BST
We are 11th, at this stage of the season that is meaningless, just 6 points off 4th and 9 points off relegation. We will finish 6th to 8th is my guess.

The League Cup thing I give you, I was very unhappy with that. No reason to start Stek or Dowell given we’re not in Europe and we need to win something.

The zonal marking thing just needs them to get used to it. It Isnt doing LFC’s defence any harm at all. It’s getting the right players and the system drilled into them. As for the proven finisher, we’re not alone in that quest.

I still can’t believe that you’d rather have kept Big Sam and had to suffer more of the same. For donkeys years I travelled 250 miles to every home game and my eldest still does. He said that last season for the first time ever he really couldn’t be bothered to set off to drive 125 miles to watch absolutely shockingly bad football and then drive back a further 125 miles. What we’re currently seeing from game 1 against Wolves just feels better to me. It may all be a false dawn but right now I am happy we’re moving in the right direction.
Report DIE LINKE October 11, 2018 5:06 PM BST
Big Fat Sam has tortured more people in football stadia than Pinochet!
Report TheGoldenVision October 11, 2018 9:43 PM BST
Someone at the club needs to get into Mr Silvas ear'ole and tell him that winning the FA cup is this seasons target. Give the fans something to brag about, crow about, laugh, sing and shout about. 23 years is a long time... too long.
Report Value Seeker October 12, 2018 12:55 PM BST
I wholeheartedly agree TGV.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now