Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ac
20 Jul 18 13:18
| Topic/replies: 858 | Blogger: ac's blog
Where has the everton transfer thread gone ?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Everton transfer stuff
Show More
Report Value Seeker August 17, 2018 5:43 PM BST
You can only do so much CC. Not sure what you want them to do ? Go out and sign a bench warmer just to get us past one or two games ?

Mina isn’t available tomorrow, injured I see, but Zouma is.

Why does there always has to be someone to blame ?

Klippety went half a season to get the man he wanted, no point wasting transfer fees and wages on players he doesn’t really want. I’m totally relaxed now he got the players we did on the last day. Looks a decent squad that we can build on and the average age has reduced considerably.
Report ac August 18, 2018 7:03 PM BST
More positives than negatives , thought the ice man played well.
Report Captain carnage August 19, 2018 5:21 PM BST
Well if there isnt someone/dozens of people to blame for the utter gash we have produced for the last 30 years then shoot me down with a bazooka!
Report Value Seeker August 25, 2018 11:10 AM BST
Am I allowed to say I’m genuinely looking forward to watching us this afternoon ? Not really the blue way to be excited and optimistic is it but after Wolves and Sarfamptun and the rubbish served up last season I’m genuinely looking forward to seeing us play some football, get men forward.

We’ve not seemed to do much down there, as I didn’t have 29 away credits I ain’t going !! Shocked. Fair play to those that have.

Just hoping I can find a dodgy link somewhere ?
Report miscreant man August 27, 2018 11:58 AM BST
Really disappointing to have only five points and to have had 2 players sent off this season. Jags' decision was terrible and why didn't the ref on Saturday give both lads a telling off? He missed two blatant penalties - Holgate for Bournemouth and Tosun for us - and there was a lunge on Seamus was the the most dangerous tackle and he gave a corner!

Bring back Bobby Madely!
Report DaSizzler August 27, 2018 6:45 PM BST
defending from set pieces is atrocious.
its cost us goals against southampton and bournemouth
hopefully mina and zouma sort this out
Report easykc1 August 28, 2018 12:33 AM BST
lot more positive play this season so its not a bad start , ive seen more good play already that the whole of last season but thats not saying much tbf ,get the new players in and we could get a good cup run
Report DixiEnormus August 28, 2018 3:50 PM BST
top 6 for the boys this yr  Love
Report FugginGerryn August 29, 2018 6:29 PM BST
Any truth in rumours that both Mina and Gomes are out for a few months?

It's a bad news rumour so it's obviously correct.
Report miscreant man August 29, 2018 11:02 PM BST
Gomes is true.
Report miscreant man August 29, 2018 11:30 PM BST

Aug 27, 2018 -- 12:45PM, DaSizzler wrote:

defending from set pieces is atrocious.its cost us goals against southampton and bournemouthhopefully mina and zouma sort this out

Cost us again tonight. The defending wasn't great again.

Report Value Seeker August 31, 2018 1:02 PM BST
Agree with all that’s been said.

The defending is scary. Zonal marking which is what we appear to be trying to do just allows the opposition to get a run on you.
It was apparent pre season and has not improved any subsequently and again a simple free header from a corner let Rotherham in and they had a number of other opportunities they failed to take.

We’re so much more entertaining to watch and I genuinely look forward to going now compared to last season which was a chore.

Got to remain very positive, we look like scoring, Gylfi looks the biz now and Richalison impressed with his effort as well as his ability. Davies had his best game in an age having been woeful for months, let’s hope he’s turned a corner and we get back the player we saw previously.
Not sure about Cenk and Niasse was comedy gold (but I still like him) and DCL still doesn’t convince despite a quality second goal.
It’s all interesting but he needs to sort that defence.
Report miss.wales August 31, 2018 3:34 PM BST
We'll get an opportunity to see whether we cope any better without Jags and Keane as they're both out for a few weeks, as is Mina apparently.

It looks like Holgate will get a real chance over the next month or so. He's done OK up to now but we haven't played anyone of quality as yet.

At first glance Digne looked pretty useful but again the caveat is how good the opposition were. IMO Baines will still take some dislodging.

I thought Dowell had an excellent second half after looking out of his depth early on. I'm quite hopeful that he could become a regular, particularly as he seems to fit in with Silva's style.

In my view it's infinitely preferable having mid-table opposition at the start of the season, especially under a new manager, but we won't see a true measure of our progress (or lack of it!)until we have played Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs in the space of 9 games between 27/10 and 22/12.

Whatever happens from now on, it feels like the season is about positives rather than week after week of Allardyce trying to justify the dross we were serving up, with an insistence that it was all about saving us.

Not having to look at his face or listen to his voice any more is so liberating for me, so Lord knows what the players must feel like.
Report Captain carnage September 2, 2018 1:38 AM BST
Yes absuletely differet class this new fella.

One shot on target at home versus the worst team in the league.

Also leaking goals that BFS would be frothing at the mouth over.

But hey, apparantly its all a lot more attactive - or is it just the name?
Report Captain carnage September 2, 2018 1:40 AM BST
Anything knew feels good, different, better. Be it your bird, job, football manager.

Then after a few weeks ou think. **** its the same old caarp, in fact probably even worse.
Report Value Seeker September 2, 2018 11:14 PM BST
Not really sure what you’re suggesting CC ? Silva needs to go ?

You’re not surely judging him after four games ?

After last seasons dross I see improvement but Saturday was frustrating. Being unable to break down a side that comes to set out to defend on mass and frustrate is indeed nothing new and the failure to defend set pieces is scary but I’m happy with the fact we seem to have a plan. Buying players of the right age and looking to raise the pace and energy.

Saturday was just frustrating. Too many of them not on it. Davies poor again, Seamus not the player we know he can be, I could go on.

Just one of those days but way too early to be writing him off, especially given how many players we have out.

My biggest concern were the subs.

Thought Digne did well so really didn’t understand the Baines sub and taking Gylfi off when we needed some one to unpick their defence seemed the wrong call.

I’d have probably had Davies off, drop Gylfi a little deeper and see if Dowell couldn’t find that killer ball.
Report Racingqueen September 3, 2018 12:30 AM BST
Its Roberto Martinez mark II
Report Captain carnage September 3, 2018 7:25 PM BST
No I am not writing him off and I dont want him sacked.

No one on earth, including his own family know if Silva is any good or not.

I would think it is decent odds-on he is not as good a manager as Fat Sam so I am
surprised at the lack of concern at 1 shot on target v Huddersfield.

He also slagged off all the bench this morning. `We didnt have anything on the bench that could change anything'.

Its obviously a current motivational trend of Portueguse managers to make their players feel useless in order for them to play to their best.
Report TheGoldenVision September 4, 2018 10:21 AM BST
What's with this zonal marking rubbish. It's just an invitation for the opposition to score. Obviously we either don't understand it or can't do it.

Have you seen Mr Silvas goals against tally when he was at Hull and Watford? Horrendous figures!

Get Big Sam back as defensive co-ordinator and we may finally show a bit of steel at the back.

Another thing... why do the other lot buy players who hit the ground running whereas most of our signings go stright to the treatment room for a few months?
Report Captain carnage September 16, 2018 4:37 PM BST
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Possible points deduction as well?

What price BFS or Pulis in to save us by christmas?
Report DixiEnormus September 19, 2018 2:46 PM BST
bernard looked good, maybe Richardson up front and wallcot on right next game ?  also would prefer to play with two no 8,s in midfield with an no 6. thoughts ?
Report TheGoldenVision September 22, 2018 9:31 PM BST
Dreading tomorrow.

It's shaping up to us getting our annual footballing lesson at the Emirates.

This is early days but this result will say an awful lot about our ability and desire. At the moment they both look to be seriously lacking. Mr Silva can't be blamed for former but the desire part is firmly in his court.

Anything less than 100% effort will be scandalous.

COYB
Report easykc1 September 23, 2018 6:05 AM BST
put your money on the blues we will beat arsenal today ,correct score will be arsenal 1 everton 2 just need first goalscorer now so my moneys on richarlision but will settle for anyone
Report Captain carnage September 23, 2018 3:49 PM BST
OMFG after hundreds of millions spent we play Arsenal away early season and in the starting eleven we have:-
Keane, Zouma, Kenny, Davies, DCL.

In the history of world sport has there been a bigger balls up by everyone involved in putting this team together.
Report Captain carnage September 23, 2018 4:19 PM BST
20 minutes in the commentary team are talking about DCL having all the attributes of a prem player and a possible England slot. 

That after witnessing possibly the worst 20 mins of an Everton striker since Brett Angel.
Report TheGoldenVision September 23, 2018 6:47 PM BST
Dominate but don't score... concede and then fall apart... spend the last 20 mins pumping ball after ball into a crowded penalty area and watch as the opposition handle each and every one of them. But keep doing it.

I thought Mr Silva was some kind of tactical genius?

This is no different than Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce.

At least Sam knew how not to get beat.

It goes on at Everton.... on and on and on. Useless.
Report Aspro September 23, 2018 7:11 PM BST
Bit harsh TGV but I know where you're coming from; seen it too often with Spurs

Thought you played well and were hard done by with the second goal. That doesn't get given and you're still well in the game and I fancy you don't go for pumping the ball in. OK, West Ham you were very poor but away to Arsenal is no mean feat, yet you equipped yourself well. Plenty to believe in after today.

That's my take anyway. Good luck!
Report TheGoldenVision September 23, 2018 7:54 PM BST
Cheers aspro for your comments.

I suppose it's years and years of frustration coming out.

Change the team, change the personnel, change the manager (repeatedly) and it's still the same disappointing result.

Fulham next. With all respect to them, it 'should' be a comfortable home win... watch this space!!!!
Report mafeking September 23, 2018 8:08 PM BST
know you've been poor away for a while but shocked to see it's only 3 wins from the last 30. takes a lot of doing to be that inept
Report Captain carnage September 23, 2018 10:36 PM BST
1 win in last 47 away against the top 6.

Its not just a losing culture its a plague that needs rooting out from the core up.
Report Captain carnage September 23, 2018 10:42 PM BST
Our new captain/centre-mid has his best game away from home in the shirt and we lose 2-0.
That and the continued excellence of Richarlison was only bright spot.

Zouma is hopeless, a pathetic panic last second loan.

DCL may make a living in Div I but I feel for the lad and anyone who pays
money at this level to watch him. He has pace and is a willing runner. Thats were any attributes end.
There are dozens of his type in the Championship and Div I - most who are better.

Walcott was a complete disgrace in the second half. Totally switched off mentally. Refused to track back or even make the most rudimentary attempts at helping his full back.
Report TheGoldenVision September 23, 2018 10:58 PM BST
Everton are slowly, season after season, migrating down to the swamp of also ran nonentities. Very soon, the season after next maybe, they'll find themselves favourites to be relegated.

Sad, sad, sad.
Report miss.wales September 24, 2018 9:58 AM BST
I thought that was our best performance, home or away, for about two years.

Competed for virtually the whole game, with as much high-tempo passing football as we have ever played. But for the poor finishing from Calvert-Lewin, Walcott and Richarlison we win the game.   

When you consider what we were served up at Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham last year, this was light years ahead. Massive improvements in the play of the likes of Davies, Kenny and Keane and the emergence of others like Bernard and Digne who are so comfortable on the ball.

There's still a way to go but much to look forward to with the starting eleven having an average age of 24.

Real progress IMO, for the first time in 10 years.
Report Johnny_Mustang September 24, 2018 12:41 PM BST
Can we play you mugs every week please?
Report Captain carnage September 29, 2018 5:27 PM BST
Interesting how people see things differently.

Yes we created chances against Arsenal but I suggest that was because of the home teams better quality players way underperforming and having little defensive organisation.

For me trying to play Man City/Lpool/Chelsea/Arsenal at their own game but with inferior players is laughable. If we invested in top 6 quality players then yes try and compete on equal terms. Unfortunately we only have Coleman who may get a game in one of those teams.

I would much prefer to go to those places with a defensive plan, frustate/negate the better teams talents
and try to get points then be sitting ducks.
Report Value Seeker September 29, 2018 7:01 PM BST
I typed this on notes during the last week and didn’t realise I hadn’t posted it....

I’m with you miss wales.

Not a lot wrong with the performance last week but without a proven finisher we didn’t take our chances and conceded a worldy and an off side goal.

My eldest is always very upset when we lose but he was surprisingly upbeat on the way back up the M1. The performance I thought was good, the finishing wasn’t.

Davies had his second decent game in three, Kenny and Digne did ok, Digne looks an asset, Keane alongside Zouma looked better, Gana was excellent and Richarlison continues to impress.

DCL is aconcern. Poor finishing, poor decision making, it’s just not happening yet and the longer it goes on the more unlikely it seems he’s going to develop into a player of sufficient quality.

Tosun looked a finisher last year and also worked hard but he’s been under whelming this season and Theo I thought was bang average. He seems to have stopped taking players on and running at them. I’d like to see more of Bernard and or Lookman to keep Theo on his toes.
Despite all of that we still created plenty, I see genuine signs of encouragement and hope, it’s too early to judge either way but I’m happy with the signings, happy with what we seem to be trying to do and the way we seem to be wanting to play.
Report Value Seeker September 29, 2018 7:25 PM BST
I can’t agree cc.

If we’re to compete then if we have no money then fair enough, go for the big Sam / dogs of war approach which you propose but we have now and if we’re to progress then I’m happy we’re buying players of the right age.

I’m happy with the high tempo passing pressing game he’s trying to instill. Not sure why you’d want to see more big Sam football which was horrible to watch and not particularly successful. We have tried your proposed approach last season and got mullered away at Chelsea, Arsenal, it’s soul destroying.
What we saw last week gave me hope.

Pickford
Seamus
Baines until very recent times
Digne
Mina (maybe?)
Walcott
Bernard
Gomes (maybe ?)
Sigurdsson
Richarlison

All quality players, plenty to do but that’s a basis of a squad, a finisher is definitely required to convert the chances.
Report Captain carnage September 30, 2018 3:23 PM BST
I would suggest there is a big middle ground to Guardiola's/Klopps style high-press, total football with top class players v Allydyce relegation fight style, organisation, defence first, percentage football with average prem footballers.

Why not allow Allydyce to overhaul our spine and make us much stronger defensively this summer (which we clearly have not done) whilst giving him the funds to add creative/pacey type players re: Walcott. I would suggest that would have delivered us 7th place easy this season, been competitive in games against the big 6 and possibly a strong cup run.

If we then couldn't break the top 6 but had a sensible defensive base we could allow a Martinez/Silva type
to go for glory with just the plan A (no plan B) or as some people call it `a philosophy' lol.

As it stands I think we will find ourselves battered at times away from home and then produce 3-0 type displays against less mentally strong teams at home.

It seems to me most evertonians now prefer to watch some nice football at home every 2 weeks and are apathetic about where we finish, how we perform away or in the cup competitions.
Report Captain carnage September 30, 2018 3:24 PM BST
Ps. VS.

Walcott
Bernard
Gomes (maybe ?)
Sigurdsson
Richarlison

Can you explain how a team with those players filled with them defend against high class teams without
embarrased?
Report Value Seeker September 30, 2018 4:41 PM BST
I have no problem with pragmatic. Moyes did pragmatic very well but I can’t have Big Sam.
I list players that I think would interest top 6 teams, you suggested only Seamus fits that bill but I disagreed. The ones you list are not defenders but with Sigurdsson and Richarlison both defend well from the front I feel.  Clearly you’re not going to play them all at once.
I should have included Gana in there who after an indifferent spell looks back to the player we signed.
Report DIE LINKE September 30, 2018 4:50 PM BST
A cross between Guardiola's/Klopps style high-press and the dire defensive dross Allardyce serves up? Pressing as far as the half-way line!
Report Captain carnage September 30, 2018 7:03 PM BST
Richarlison has shown promise and works v hard, like he did first half of last season. If he did it for a full season the big boys may have a sniff.

Gylfi - please. He is pathetic defensively and a luxury the top boys will always be happy without.
Report TheGoldenVision October 2, 2018 8:12 PM BST
League Cups... played 57 won 0

COYB
Report TheGoldenVision October 2, 2018 10:00 PM BST

CrySadCry
Report TheGoldenVision October 3, 2018 9:47 AM BST
Seriously, I think Mr Silva is no better than any of the last 4 managers we've had.

Does he not get it? Why not try to win some silverware?

Oh, that's right. He's copying Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs, United and Arsenal. Playing weakened teams in second rate cup comps so we can concentrate on winning the Premiership.

Lunacy... but the football is better!

Is it? Really?
Report Value Seeker October 3, 2018 10:37 AM BST
He may well be no better TGV but again last night I thought we played some nice stuff and the players he’s brought in I’m happy with.

I was ok’ish with the team, Steklenberg apart and maybe Dowell we could have done without. I can see no need to play second string goalies especially when your second string truly is second rate.

If he is or isn’t a decent manager for us however is not clear but I see better football and it’s way too early to be making decisions about how good or bad he is. We could have won every single game we’ve played this season if we take just some of our chances, you definitely couldn’t say that last season as we created so few.

It’s early days and we ain’t going down. We need to give the bloke time but I was annoyed that he started Steklenburg especially.
Report Value Seeker October 3, 2018 10:57 AM BST
For what it’s worth TGV it’s not just the top six that field weakened teams, they all do, it just seems to be the accepted norm but to me it’s just wrong. Wrong for teams like ourselves.

I had no problem with say Bernard getting a start over Theo, that is fine, but just one or two of the players that are really knocking on the door ?
Report TheGoldenVision October 3, 2018 6:15 PM BST
VS... you're dead right of course. My problem is, after 56 years of supporting Everton, each year brings more disappointment piled on top of a mountain of disappointment.

We're never gonna have any sort of run at the top places... 6th is our most reasonable target and even that only brings cr@p Euro football as a reward.... so why don't we go full tilt at achievable silverware?

I'd take a day out at Wembley over year after year of rubbish results.

I think I'll stop posting until at least 48hrs have elapsed since our last game!

Anyway, for what it's worth...

COYB
Report Value Seeker October 4, 2018 4:35 PM BST
Agree 100% TGV

I don’t do the Euro aways for a lads p1ss up and I really don’t want to be in the Europa League. I like you just want to go to Wembley and win something, anything, maybe even the horse of the piggin year show, anything, that would be a start. A cup semi win and a trip to Wembley, is that too much to ask once every few years but despite our illustrious history we have never ever won the poxy League Cup and I’d be very happy to do so.

If and when we progress and we can compete with the top 6 then maybe then a Europa League place might be of interest.
Report tobermory October 6, 2018 11:15 PM BST
Bernard looks good.
Report Value Seeker October 7, 2018 8:45 AM BST
Bernard Love
Report sparrow October 7, 2018 9:45 AM BST
Best game of football I've seen so far this season MOTD.
Report Captain carnage October 7, 2018 4:51 PM BST
No one spotted Bernard give the ball away cheaply for their equaliser and jog back at his own pace
in an attempt to retrieve the situation?
Report Value Seeker October 8, 2018 9:48 AM BST
Is that the only thing you took from Saturdays performance cc ? Shocked
Report miss.wales October 8, 2018 4:18 PM BST
The signs are there that we are taking steps to bring this team into the modern era.

Attacking threat from both flanks, pressing at crucial parts of the game, forward players who are comfortable on the ball and two solid centre-mids (Gana is there already, Davies is only 20 and on his way).

JJK obviously got skinned once on Saturday but I think he'll learn from it. His overall game has come on leaps and bounds, even since Coleman got injured.

Either Keane or Zouma needs to be superceded by someone with pace, and I don't know how quick Mina is.

The main shortcoming at the moment is a lack of firepower in front of goal. I'm afraid Tosun is out of his depth and whilst I wouldn't give up on DCL yet, he's not going to get us 15/20 goals in a season at this stage of his career.

Looking forward to Old Trafford with more optimism than any time since Davey Boy was manager but we're still some way away from going to Anfield or the Etihad with a chance.

11/2 w/o the top 6 (ew 1/3 1,2) looks a bet to nothing.

Keep the faith.
Report Value Seeker October 8, 2018 5:02 PM BST
Cc, just watching the extended highlights on EFCtv and Bernard indeed plays a return header to Gueye in a tight spot and Gueye loses out in the tussle for the ball, Bernard immediately retreats then moves towards Pereira after making the header and goes to him as he receives the ball but he gets done by a neat one two with Iheanacho and immediately turns and runs full pelt for about 20 yards before realising he ain’t getting close to catching Pereira and then eases up as he sees Kenny coming out to him. Kenny is then done like a kipper twice before he slots. Not really sure your description of events matches the reality.

I just thought we put in a good performance, exciting to watch, lots of talent and ability on show and plenty to get excited about. So different to the dross we had to endure last season. He might be the new Mythinez but that as an away day was as good as anything we’ve seen in recent times.

So much to build on and the signings that are making the difference are Silva / Brands.

Digne looks class as does
Bernard despite your reservations,
Zouma I think helps Keane,
Richarlison I was underwhelmed by when announced, felt like Martinez signings his ex players who all turned out to be average to poor.

We still have Mina and Gomes to come.

What’s more the squad has suddenly become so much more youthful. Rooney, Williams, et al out of the door. There’s currently very little not to like.

Zonal marking and the defence is still a big concern and the lack of a proven striker that is better than what we have but from where I’m sat I’m happy we’re moving in the right direction.
Report DixiEnormus October 9, 2018 3:05 PM BST

Sep 19, 2018 -- 8:46AM, DixiEnormus wrote:

bernard looked good, maybe Richardson up front and wallcot on right next game ?

Report Captain carnage October 10, 2018 12:22 AM BST
`There’s currently very little not to like.'

Then next breath
`Zonal marking and the defence is still a big concern and the lack of a proven striker that is better than what we have'.

We are 11th the league and out of the league cup - happy days.
Report Value Seeker October 11, 2018 2:57 PM BST
We are 11th, at this stage of the season that is meaningless, just 6 points off 4th and 9 points off relegation. We will finish 6th to 8th is my guess.

The League Cup thing I give you, I was very unhappy with that. No reason to start Stek or Dowell given we’re not in Europe and we need to win something.

The zonal marking thing just needs them to get used to it. It Isnt doing LFC’s defence any harm at all. It’s getting the right players and the system drilled into them. As for the proven finisher, we’re not alone in that quest.

I still can’t believe that you’d rather have kept Big Sam and had to suffer more of the same. For donkeys years I travelled 250 miles to every home game and my eldest still does. He said that last season for the first time ever he really couldn’t be bothered to set off to drive 125 miles to watch absolutely shockingly bad football and then drive back a further 125 miles. What we’re currently seeing from game 1 against Wolves just feels better to me. It may all be a false dawn but right now I am happy we’re moving in the right direction.
Report DIE LINKE October 11, 2018 5:06 PM BST
Big Fat Sam has tortured more people in football stadia than Pinochet!
Report TheGoldenVision October 11, 2018 9:43 PM BST
Someone at the club needs to get into Mr Silvas ear'ole and tell him that winning the FA cup is this seasons target. Give the fans something to brag about, crow about, laugh, sing and shout about. 23 years is a long time... too long.
Report Value Seeker October 12, 2018 12:55 PM BST
I wholeheartedly agree TGV.
Report TheGoldenVision October 21, 2018 9:26 PM BST
2-0 and 3 pts but that was dire football.

Hopefully things will get better.

What is it with Everton and live Sunday football?

A good result for us, now bring on Utd.

COYB
Report DixiEnormus October 23, 2018 4:39 PM BST
thought jonjoe kenny was unlucky to lose the shirt. impressed me when coleman was out
Report Value Seeker October 23, 2018 7:43 PM BST
Agreed. He was however done like a kipper a few times, for Leicester’s equaliser for instance readily springs to mind and that might have been what gave Seamus the nod.

I’ve no doubt Theo will start v Man U but I would like to see what Lookman can do if given a start in the full team ? Theo’s done ok but I just get the feeling I want to see a bit more from him.
Report Swagger October 24, 2018 5:46 PM BST
Zouma in the fold and Mina due to come in - two clean sheets in the last three games.
7 points out of the last 9.
The injured players are starting to get involved and make their mark.
We are creating chances in every game.
8th in the league - 6th place is effectively there for the taking.
The League Cup was disappointing and I agree regarding the selections but we went out via a penalty shoot out - such is life.
Looking forward to a decent FA cup run and from January onwards I fully expect the football to continually improve.
I look forward to watching the guys play for the first time in...a long time.

I think the performance against Wolves set the tone really. In my opinion, it was a disgusting decision to send off Jags regardless of his horrific first touch yet the lads emptied the tank and almost came away with the three points where most teams have and will continue to struggle.

COYB
Report Captain carnage October 28, 2018 5:25 PM GMT
Flat track bullies for decades now. No arsssshll within anyone associated with the club.

How anyone defends anything about any player or staff member when we have won something like 1 in 50 games away against the big 6 is pathetic. Its a horrible losing disease.

Personally I would rather see a defensive unit Allydyce style whenever we play away from home against a decent team. It is simply the best chance of gaining points. Common sense is usually the most common sense way of playing.

Why are we trying to play the same way as the top 6 when we are not as good as them? Doesnt make sense at any level to me.

Ps. Gomez lololololol. Where do we keep digging these centre mid dissentry from?
Report DIE LINKE October 28, 2018 6:47 PM GMT
didn't realise you were an Allardyce fan, captain!
Report Value Seeker October 28, 2018 10:22 PM GMT
Interesting captain.

I really don't see it like you and I'd suggest that neither did the majority stood around us at the game today.

Silva has had 10 games in charge and Gomez has played two and you're writing them both off.

I thought we played ok again today, the peno that got them going didn't look like one from the stands but I'll stand to be corrected, I'm happy with the way we're going, the Allardyce way last season got us a 2-1 defeat at Liverpool where we actually had a go and played ok, thereafter after he really got his message home we lost 4-0 at Spurs, 5-1 at Arsenal and a very comfortable 3-1 defeat at home to City.

You must watch something different to me. Really don't get what you want and I know which team I want to watch given the choice between last seasons and this.
Report Captain carnage October 28, 2018 10:49 PM GMT
Fair enough VS. I just don't see what you are seeing? We have been abysmal under multiple managers against the best teams away from home for decades and that can be attributed to big cup games anywhere as well. I think Allydyce with this team would win us more points and we would have a better chance in the cups. I am not interested in watching pretty football - tune into Barca/Real/City or Lpool if thats what you want.

I saw just about nothing to get excited about today against a Man U team in turmoil. And particularly the sight of Gomes spending the whole game ambling around not closing or making any tackles in the middle of the park made me wince.
Report Captain carnage October 28, 2018 10:55 PM GMT
Everton boss Marco Silva said: "It was a tough match but we came here to win. It is the
only way we work'.

Naive doesnt come into it. Its a proven fact that the best way to get points against teams who are better than you is to frustrate, defend first, build something. Why would you do what the opposition wants you to do - that is attack
and leave yourself open to be exploited by players that are better at exploiting those situations.
Report Value Seeker October 28, 2018 11:43 PM GMT
I’m happy we approached the game the last way we did and MOTD confirmed what I thought. The pen wasn’t a peno and Smalling should have been sent off. Our attack just lacked the final ball. It’s very fine margins and I felt we did go to set out to give them a game. We conceded a pen that wasn’t and a top notch finish. On another day the peno isn’t given, the Martial shot just goes wide and we score a couple and everything in the garden is rosy.

I think Gomez looks a player and after a long spell out I’m impressed with him on the ball and thought after an indifferent first half he looked much better second half. I think Silva wants to see graft and I’ll give him a lot longer before I write him off.
Report Value Seeker October 28, 2018 11:49 PM GMT
I hear what you’re saying about our record v the top 6 btw, very aware. Our last win away against any of them was Oviedo baby 5 years ago but that’s not really relevant to Silva.
Report Tinytim October 29, 2018 3:26 PM GMT
CC, don’t watch them. Wait until we get another manager of Big Sam’s Ilk then come and tell us you were right and everyone else is wrong.
Report the geek October 29, 2018 3:42 PM GMT
anybody who prefers big sam over silva needs to go to specsavers imo.
Report Value Seeker November 5, 2018 12:23 PM GMT
Really enjoyed Saturday. A pleasure to watch. Only gripe I guess was the lack of clear cut chances created despite all the quality play and possession.

Sunday will be interesting.
Report DixiEnormus November 6, 2018 12:13 PM GMT
plz say we have a clause to buy Gomez at the end of his loan spell.  what a player !!!
Report aec November 6, 2018 5:27 PM GMT
Toffeweb say no such clause. We need him to play well enough so we want him, but not so well as makes them want him back.
Report TheGoldenVision November 6, 2018 6:14 PM GMT
Nice to see Seamus donate to the Sean Cox fund.

Not a time for tribalism and a superb, heart felt gesture.

190k raised so far...

https://uk.gofundme.com/SupportSeanCox
Report Captain carnage November 12, 2018 8:29 PM GMT
Jeez, I got to hand it to Silva I think someone showed him my posts.

Away from home versus a very good team, we put Jags on for Gylfi and hold on strongly for a very good point.

Im warming to the geezer. Carry on like this and we may finish in the same position as last season and have a go in the Cup
unless he losses his mind and plays a weakened team.
Report Value Seeker November 16, 2018 3:09 PM GMT
Ahhhh. And there was me thinking Marco was looking like the real deal since the very first game of the season v Wolves ? I’d not noticed a marked improvement since he started reading your posts CC Wink

I’ve genuinely been impressed with what I’ve seen all season. You can see what he’s trying to do and we’ve been in every game and could with a bit of luck acquired several more points than we have. Only one poor game all season (West  Ham home) and other than that we could and should have got more out of Arsenal and Man U away plus other games and as I’ve said all along I’m very happy with the way we appear to be headed. It could all be a Robertoesque false dawn but I was never convinced by Roberto whereas this just feels right to me. Happy with the signings, the style of play, I really look forward to going to watch us play again after the misery that was the whole of last season.

I think he will play a weaker team in the cup btw, because that seems to be the perceived wisdom so maybe we need to email him and Bill with our views or maybe you need to tell him on here that he needs to treat the cup as our Number 1 priority given that clearly he reads your thoughts on here and modifies his tactics accordingly Cool
Report miss.wales November 16, 2018 5:08 PM GMT
Yes - it certainly made the journey back from Chelsea more bearable than in the last few years, when there was no problems catching the train back because we didn't have to stay 'til the end.

I loved the way we killed the 5 minutes injury time (apart from Gomes' stupid final minute tackle). It wasn't pretty but it's something we've never done well in the past.

Half way through this run of away games against 4 of the (so called) big 6 and we haven't looked overawed, but the toughest tests of the season come in the next 2 away days.

By Christmas we'll only have Tottenham to play away and the half-season tickets will be well worth it this year.

Keep the faith.
Report Value Seeker November 18, 2018 6:31 PM GMT
LFC tickets on sale tomorrow.

Hate going there, asked the eldest if he's bothered. "We've got to win one year" says he.

I suppose he's right and you'd not want to miss it but the last few seasons we've had virtually no chance, I suppose I'll have to go.
Report Swagger November 25, 2018 3:30 PM GMT
Gomez is consistently churning out quality performances. What a player, hopefully we can sign him long term.

Mina is an absolute collueses at CB.

6th in the league, playing good football when we can and grinding out results and clean sheets if necessary.

Once we can replace the weaker players like Walcott and Tosun then we will really be rocking and rolling. Tosun is effectively a sub now any way but we obviously need a centre forward to play Richarlison on the left, Bernard on the right and drop Walcott.
Report Swagger November 25, 2018 5:58 PM GMT
* colossus
Report Swagger November 25, 2018 6:12 PM GMT
Captain Carnage - this is a serious question...having read through your posts over a long period of time - have you thought about supporting Burnley? They would appear to play the type of football you desire and adhere to your type of footballing philosophy plus the icing on the cake is that Sean Dyche is a similar manager to your idol Sam Allardyce. They focus on defending and attacking set pieces to the best of their ability, they take immense pride in keeping their defensive shape as an entire team, they work hard, they play to not lose games but actual passing, distribution generally and the creation of chances in an attempt to win games is the last thought on their minds. Sounds like your ideal match is it not?
Report Value Seeker November 26, 2018 10:46 PM GMT
Thought a lot were off the pace on Saturday, Walcott, Bernard not at their best, Richalison's touch and passing wasn't great, Seamus still not great and Digne was quiet yet with Gomez, Gana, Keane and Mina looking the part we did enough and again Lookman's cameo again suggests he's got to be given a start soon to show what he can do given a proper opportunity.

Still happy with the way it's going. Not looking forward to Sunday mind but that's not going to change any time soon.
Report miss.wales November 27, 2018 4:43 PM GMT
Swagger Devil

I'll be happy as long as we don't revert to a back 3 to accommodate Zouma. I don't think there's much between him and Mina but whilst Koeman and Allardyce would be thinking of an extra defender and would turn the 3 into a 5, which in their minds we would need, I don't think Silva has the same philosophy. 

With Gana, Gomez and Siggy, the back 4 should have enough protection to stop us being overrun, which is what normally happens at Anfield.

I don't think Richarlison alone up top works away from home but DCL just doesn't have the experience to put them under pressure. Tosun might have been a better bet but his limitations have been severely exposed in recent weeks.

We'll certainly need better shows from Theo and Bernard because someone needs to keep their full-backs occupied. It's a shame Henderson won't be playing as he's definitely a weakness for them.

They've had a couple of fortunate decisions go for them in the last 2 weeks, with the Mitrovic disallowed goal / moving ball free-kick and the Watford penalty not given on Saturday so let's hope the roundabout swings our way this week.

Keep the faith.
Report Captain carnage December 2, 2018 6:35 PM GMT
Same old carp. This lack of bottle when it matters is endemic within every manager and player we have had over the last 20 years. I wonder if this miserable mentality makes the average Everton fan underperform in their jobs lol. I mean they make you feel like huge underperformers in life!

Please no posts about a few pretty passes in the first half. How many shots on target did we have 2nd half and how many did we create with BFS last season in the 2 games?
Report Solano1 December 2, 2018 6:45 PM GMT
Chin up, CC.
You'll get it out of your system on Wednesday easily enough.
Report gazza66 December 2, 2018 6:45 PM GMT
CaptainCarnage admit it you’re a red ****.
Report TheGoldenVision December 3, 2018 10:25 AM GMT
Only Everton could shoot themselves in the foot in that manner.

What was Pickford thinking? A world class goalie doing something so idiotic is mind boggling.

Just pop it over the bar or, better still, just fwcking leave it. Was he actually trying to catch the ball?

I can't take much more of this!!
Report miss.wales December 3, 2018 12:49 PM GMT
Crazy way to lose a game but it's fair to say we all know he has a mistake in him - just not one per game like our other keepers over the last few years. Value Seeker often refers to Liverpool as The Devil's Club and you can understand why after that episode.

In many ways the performance was more important than the result and at no point yesterday did it feel like we weren't competing, which you couldn't have said many times in the last 20 years at that venue.

I was disappointed that we ended the game without Bernard, Sigurdsson and the injured Gana on the pitch, which gave us little hope of holding on to the ball if it came to us.

Making substitutions just for the sake of it never sits comfortably with me and although it didn't necessarily lead directly to the goal, it may easily have changed our mindset.   

No serious gripes with the manager though - at the end of the day it's about getting the right players in and improving the ones you already had. He seems to have done both.

Who is this guy playing in Michael Keane's shirt?
Report PorcupineorPineapple December 3, 2018 12:58 PM GMT
world class goalieLaughLaughLaugh
Report Captain carnage December 3, 2018 1:36 PM GMT
Agree with that Miss Wales.

I know Keane is improving on anything in front of him/reading of game but he is still slower than the slowest whale in the Indian Ocean and a bigger accident waiting to happen than Pickford.
Report Captain carnage December 3, 2018 1:37 PM GMT
I would be amazed if anyone at Everton has ever seen him play other than against us. We surely just bought him on the number of interceptions/tackles he made?
Report charwell. December 3, 2018 3:28 PM GMT
What is it with Evertonians and LFC having a 'pact with the devil' and all such nonsense. Grown men regularly churn out this nonsense from the blue side of the city. Such puerile nonsense an 8 year old would be embarrassed about! Also, saying you are clearly 'man for man as good as LFC.' Seeing as we are miles ahead in the league and reached CL final last year then this is one hell of a leap of faith!! It was a fairly even contest granted; but we were on the back of a tough game away in PSG.

However, you lot actually played football for once which was nice. Clearly the team is progressing very well. Gomes looks a very good acquisition in particular. Certainly plenty of reason for optimism and a Europa spot is definitely up for grabs.
Report miss.wales December 3, 2018 4:15 PM GMT
Captain Carnage

I'd make Keane 4/6 against Mina over 50 yards any day.

Having said that, I'd still back Big Nev to beat either of them.
Report TheGoldenVision December 3, 2018 8:22 PM GMT
Charwell... finally we agree on something.

Everton fans incessantly bleating about how and why LFC have cheated us, robbed us, etc, etc, etc.

It's a pain, it's boring, it's embarrassing and it's just an excuse to deflect from our own myriad shortcomings since the late 80's.

No one has held us back except us... pack it in, PLEASE.
Report Value Seeker December 8, 2018 12:18 AM GMT
I just refer to them as the devils club as a term of endearment, I don’t really believe it. Of course only our club has been responsible for our own failings over the years. I don’t care about them, only EFC. The Pickford howler was a sickener of the highest magnitude but we played a proper game of football and competed big time.

The garden is a lot rosier and I’m very happy with what I see. Newcastle was another game where several of them weren’t at it and we struggle against an organised team. Could and should have won which is something we’ve said a lot this season but that beats last season where we deserved nothing in so many games because we couldn’t even muster a shot  on target.

Just keep going as we are and see what happens in January. We need an upgrade on Tosun and if he’s happy to stay we need to get Gomez signed up.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now