Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
12 Jul 18 16:23
| Topic/replies: 28,940 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
Soccer is finally kicking sexism to the curb—or at least it’s trying to.

According to The Irish Examiner, the anti-discrimination group Fare Network has been working with FIFA to reduce the amount of televised shots of young females at the World Cup games. FIFA’s diversity boss, Federico Addiechi, stated that FIFA  has told its broadcast service to end such practices. Though the termination has not yet been part of a proactive campaign, Addiechi stated: “This is one of the activities that we definitely will have in the future—it’s a normal evolution.

The practice of showcasing attractive women at sporting events has perpetuated the stereotype of the “hot female fan,” who is scantily clad, model-esque and simply there to exist as eye candy. The technique, which is meant to spike viewership whenever there is a lull in a sports game, was pioneered in the ‘70s by American television director, Andy Sidaris, who referred to his invention as the “honey shot.”

In his 1976 documentary, Seconds to Play, Sidaris explained, “I got the idea for honey shots because I am a dirty old man.Laugh When I turned 17, I remember it was terrifying, every time I looked at a girl I would just tremble. And I thought if I’m like that maybe other people are like that. And you know what, they are.”

In 1983, New York Times writer Neil Amdur wrote, “Andy Sidaris is one of ABC’s better football directors. But at the Sugar Bowl, he seemed preoccupied with cheerleaders, in a game that contained dimensions of much more importance. Sideline shots of cheerleaders and majorettes are only worthwhile if they are spontaneous and fit into a larger picture; Sidaris made them boring and finally offensive.”

Yet Sidaris’ tradition has continued on.

One famous example occurred in 2013, when ESPN sportscaster Brent Musburger practically drooled over Katherine Webb, girlfriend of Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron, after a camera zoomed in on her at the BCS title game.

“I’ll tell you, quarterbacks, you get all the good-looking women,” Musburger commented. “What a beautiful woman, wow!”

But what makes the World Cup a particular hotspot for this maneuver is the fact that it’s an international sporting event, and people love to compare the attractiveness of women of varying nationalities.

The result is a global beauty pageant.

Following the final whistle of the Sweden vs. England game, the Fox Sports cameramen panned in on three different women in the Swedish crowd who all had something in common—they were young, blonde and attractive.

“I’m just so sorry that so many beautiful women are so sad right now,” said sports commentator Ian Wright. Perhaps in an effort to curtail such creepiness, fellow commentator Alexi Lalas made it even worse: “Don’t worry, there are plenty of beautiful women who are happy right now.” Cringe.

The proliferation of the “honey shot” speaks to a larger issue of sexism at the World Cup. Last month, Burger King Russia announced that it would offer a lifetime supply of Whoppers to any woman who was able to get impregnated by a player. Two weeks ago, Getty Images was forced to apologize after publishing a gallery of the “sexiest World Cup fans”—which, unsurprisingly, were all women.

But it seems Addiechi’s early efforts have proven to be effective.

Tuesday’s France vs. Belgium match featured shots of, almost exclusively, middle-aged men wearing devil horn hats. There was also an appearance from Mick Jagger and a little boy with a French flag painted on his cheek who was given not just one, but two, on-screen appearances.

The death of the “honey shot”—whether it turns out to be permanent or only temporary—is a sign that people are becoming increasingly aware of female objectification in the male-dominated world of soccer.

The online community This Fan Girl has started a #WeAreFemaleFans campaign that is to document the variety of women who attend matches across England. Their aim is to “change the face of female football fans on the internet.” But perhaps the biggest proof of progress occurred in Iran, where women—who have been banned from even entering a stadium since 1979—were finally given the opportunity to participate in showing support off-the-field.

Hopefully, the move towards diverse crowd shots will allow women to engage in sporting events on their own terms—and not within the parameters that men have defined for them.
___

How does FIFA have the power to decide who a broadcaster can and can't show in the crowd ? FIFA sells the rights to the game not the rights to the crowd and their imageConfused
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View FIFA to Clamp down on Broadcasters...
Show More
Report hulk23 July 12, 2018 4:38 PM BST
is there a fifa committee that decides which ones were "hot" ?  dog, dog, hot (tut tut), dog, hot ...
Report stu July 12, 2018 4:45 PM BST
I think the human race will one day become extinct because men won't be allowed to have sex with women anymore....
Report antony_27 July 12, 2018 4:51 PM BST
didn't see even one gorgeous looking girl in the English supporters crowd just non stop fat middle-aged men
Report duncan idaho July 12, 2018 4:52 PM BST
best they could do amongst the English fans was a lad who looked a bit like a young Hugh Grant
Report jamesdean July 12, 2018 5:02 PM BST
Geeso dunc, are you thinking out loud here Blush
Report kincsem July 12, 2018 5:05 PM BST
Laugh
Report SontaranStratagem July 12, 2018 5:07 PM BST

Jul 12, 2018 -- 4:38PM, hulk23 wrote:

is there a fifa committee that decides which ones were "hot" ?

Report SontaranStratagem July 12, 2018 5:08 PM BST
Oh great, can't be bothered to type that out again Cry
Report BonnieDday July 12, 2018 5:13 PM BST
Mesmerised, yesterday we disagreed over Wilshere and Shelvey. Today, we can agree over the pathetic snowflake attitude of FIFA.

We are talking about a shot of a face in the crowd, without an Eric Morley figure announcing "And here we have the gorgeous Miss Sweden with vital statistics of 36-24-36".
Report Johnny_Mustang July 12, 2018 5:20 PM BST
They won't have to clamp down when Spurs play because they're all munters.
Report donny osmond July 12, 2018 5:48 PM BST
they should clamp down on pics of young kids crying
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 5:51 PM BST
Most people at home want to see pretty women on TV, most do not want to see fat pot bellied, middle aged men with face paint and no top on the dipsticks, give the people what they want imo and stop pandering to the insecure minority. That's their own problem.
Report BonnieDday July 12, 2018 6:46 PM BST
Hear hear again, mesmerised. Spot on.
Report sofaking July 12, 2018 7:03 PM BST

Jul 12, 2018 -- 5:20PM, Johnny_Mustang wrote:

They won't have to clamp down when Spurs play because they're all munters.

Jeez, what a dumb comment.  Any excuse to get in a dig against Spurs no matter how irrelevant it is..

Report sofaking July 12, 2018 7:06 PM BST
Gynocentrism and feminism are destroying Western societies.   Cry
Report stu July 12, 2018 7:10 PM BST
Isn't it so ironic that in this day of the femi-Nazi, where some men are as bad as the women for it, there's the easiest amount of filth available online in a constant flow for men to devour at will.
Report stu July 12, 2018 7:11 PM BST
...but god forbid we happen to show an attractive woman on a TV camera shot, ffs....
Report pa lapsy July 12, 2018 7:12 PM BST
Some are a bit coy but most are smiling and giggling and waving to themselves, badge of honour really, they can say for the rest of their lives i was a "honey shot" in the ~~~~ World Cup.
Desperate decision and not very fair on the women.
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 7:18 PM BST
I'll tell you what is wrong and what is disturbing - it's not broadcasters at the World Cup panning in on pretty women in the crowds - watch BBC's coverage of Queens every year, they have an obsession with the ball girls - and I mean girls, recruits from the local school, every chance they get they are zooming in on them, and there are only girls, no ball boys.

That's what's wrong, Women at a football match, no.
Report duncan idaho July 12, 2018 7:20 PM BST
yeah, that innocent observation doesnt look so good in print  Laugh
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 7:22 PM BST
It's no little observation, it happens every single year not a one off. The match is going on and they are still showing the ball girls, then they quickly have to change camera's.
Report stu July 12, 2018 7:24 PM BST
Only queens, not wimbers?
Report Emitdeb July 12, 2018 9:41 PM BST
Betfair should perhaps curb forumites downloading Hot tennis players for their self-gratification... imo.. just an idea. Mischief
Report Hamsterdam July 12, 2018 10:42 PM BST
Femi-Nazi's are typically overweight, unattractive wear glasses etc....they are jealous cowbags.
Report sofaking July 13, 2018 1:26 AM BST

Jul 12, 2018 -- 10:42PM, Hamsterdam wrote:

Femi-Nazi's are typically overweight, unattractive wear glasses etc....they are jealous cowbags.

And have blue hair and bushy armpits.  Vile creatures.

Report sofaking July 13, 2018 1:27 AM BST
And sometimes blue underarm hair. Scared
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now