Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
11 Jul 18 22:04
| Topic/replies: 28,940 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
Not including Jack Wilshere and Shelvey.

Two creative midfield players, and would have made a difference tonight when England were completely bereft of ideas and made sideways and backwards pass after sidewards and backwards passes.

He just didn't want their type as characters, both a bit too Jack the lad for him, he wanted nice, obedient players in the squad.

If that's the 'DNA' then England haven't got the genes to succeed under him.

Lost to the first half decent team we played.

Next.
Share |

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 84
By:
Crisp77
When: 11 Jul 18 22:05
I would have said not matching the waistcoat with a nice gold fob watch.
By:
MJK
When: 11 Jul 18 22:09
Perhaps it was not having a calculator on hand to count how many subs he'd used..
By:
Johnny_Mustang
When: 11 Jul 18 22:09
Or a decent cravat at the very least.
By:
Hamsterdam
When: 11 Jul 18 22:11
Taking Sterling off for that Rashford mug
By:
BonnieDday
When: 11 Jul 18 22:13
Well, it didn't take long for someone with a Masters degree in hindsight to put forward a decisive blow for after timing.

I assume we would have heard nothing in favour of the indisciplined under achievers Wilshere and Shelvey had England won the tournament.

I'm mesmerised, Mesmerised, that you couldn't find it in yourself to offer one word of credit for the achievement of reaching the last 4. You say that it was Southgate's "biggest" mistake. You don't say "only" mistake or "bigger" mistake (comparative, of two). What were the other two mistakes (at least) you claim he made?
By:
eyeball
When: 11 Jul 18 22:15
Had to bring a creative midfielder and didn't . Decided to play villas boas sideways football and rely on crosses and set pieces . Did better than I expected with the style he wanted to play .
By:
mesmerised
I said that before the tournament and the whole way through the tournament as any poster in here will tell you, every match thread I said get Wilshere on.

So f all to do with hindsight.
By:
NBK
people who say nothing in bf history are the ones to take most notice of imo
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 11 Jul 18 22:16
Sterling was the best player on the park. Rashford is maximum bottom half of the PL level. Kane couldn't run.

Just a terrible substitution all round.
By:
mesmerised
When: 11 Jul 18 22:17
in fact  made a pre World Cup thread about his exclusion from the the squad, it was ridiculous to think you could wn a World Cup with Henderson - Dier - Alli - Loftus Cheek in the centre, you needed real creativity.
By:
Pleasegivemeanailedontip
When: 11 Jul 18 22:18
Surely his biggest mistake at the world cup was missing a penalty in a semi final
By:
Cork Langer
When: 11 Jul 18 22:19
Was that not a Euro semi...?
By:
Pleasegivemeanailedontip
When: 11 Jul 18 22:19
Maybe..
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 11 Jul 18 22:22
No, it was bringing on the no position player in Rashford.

Most talented player i have ever seen to not know where he plays, the mourinho effect.
By:
BonnieDday
When: 11 Jul 18 22:22
I'm as disappointed as everyone else, Mesmerised. However, if as you say you were consistent in your comments about Wilshere and Shelvey, both of whom have a short fuse which I believe other teams could and would have exploited, then I withdraw my comment about after timing.

Still interested to hear what you meant by "biggest mistake". I cannot think of another manager who could have taken England this far and so galvanised the team and country.

Go on ... a tiny bit of credit for the Waistcoat Wonder?
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 11 Jul 18 22:25
Bonnie, Gareth did little wrong.

Dont trust MMesmerised, he is a master fisherman.
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Jul 18 22:27
Did the Walker experiment work?
Yes, it let Trippier in, who was possibly the best player.
But, he was found wanting twice for me tonight.

Lascelles would have been the better call.
By:
mesmerised
When: 11 Jul 18 22:28
Alli has a short fuse, he was on his best behaviour, it wouldn't have been an issue.

England's route to the semi's was soft, were qualifies via the groups after 2 game v 2 poor teams, scrapped past the team that finished 5th in South America qualies on penalties, beat a very poor Sweden team and lost to the Croats who must have been or should have been more tires than England.

I'll sum this up for you.

HE HAD JAKE LIVERMORE ON STANDBY Laugh

Jesus Wept, 4 and half years til the next one.
By:
Crisp77
When: 11 Jul 18 22:32
Jack Grealish with be in for the Euros
By:
BonnieDday
When: 11 Jul 18 22:35
Thanks for the heads up, Ibrahima Sonko.

Oh well, Mesmerised, they think it's all over for this time round and it is.

I suggest you get posting on the rugby forum as I'm sure everyone including Eddie Jones will be interested in your recommendations for next year's World Cup.
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 11 Jul 18 22:39
Sol, you are being over critical, Is the walker experiment a failure ?

i dont know, but this England team played differently with 2 pacey full backs with a mostly right back as cover.

I totally understand the trippier defending was suspect.
By:
mesmerised
When: 11 Jul 18 22:39
I was right all along Bonnie, that's the long and short of it.

Couldn't give a monkeys about Rugby. Had no idea the World Cup was next year either.
By:
sickoflayinwinners
When: 11 Jul 18 22:40
crisp, even though he was playing for villa in the championship id have undoubtedly taken him, as you say he will make the euros.overall we did ok but no more than that.
By:
Try My Best
When: 11 Jul 18 22:41
Created **** all in open play through the tournament. Beat the the titans of football sweden colombia tunisia and panama and beaten by two half decent sides. Nothing there to treat them as heroes. Pretty average and when push came to shove simply not good enough. Just the usual. Went this far coz of draw not coz they are a good side.
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 11 Jul 18 22:43
Still did well to reach a semi imo
By:
Try My Best
When: 11 Jul 18 22:48
I simply don't know where all this positivity is coming from. Good first half performance and then we put up the white flag. Deserved to get beat by an ordinary side. Manager has never won anything and never will.
By:
mesmerised
When: 11 Jul 18 22:50
Got Middlesbrough relegated.
By:
detraveller
When: 11 Jul 18 22:56
@TryMyBest Are you ill or drunk? Never seen you write so respectfully about England on the cricket forum. Or are you on your best behaviour for the world cup? Happy
By:
Try My Best
When: 11 Jul 18 22:57
I think we have been ok but no world beaters. Cant see any great improvement at all.Croatians have the pick from 4 million people ffs. We have the best facilities all the money and an average premier league. No surprise too me that we are out. Can't pass the ball 10 yards to each other
By:
GoldCupWinner
When: 11 Jul 18 23:09
We did struggle to pass the ball ten yards to each other, which is why I think it's important Southgate and all levels from grass roots up to continue to play in this manner to eventually get our players to be able to string passes together. We played well first half but were awful afterwards.
By:
TheBetterBettor
When: 11 Jul 18 23:13
We were expecting Winston Churchill in the dressing room at halftime...but all we got was private pike from dads army.

Mischief
By:
Racingqueen
When: 11 Jul 18 23:14
They did amazing given they had zero midfield passers.they werecrhing out for shelves and lascelles would have been far better than the liability that is Kyle Walker.
By:
Racingqueen
When: 11 Jul 18 23:14
Crying out for shelvey
By:
going skint
When: 11 Jul 18 23:20
playing injured players never works
tried it with wayne, beckham etc
if theyre lame feck em off
By:
bankit
When: 11 Jul 18 23:58
The guy gave his all, Came up short no harm in that. if anyone is to blame it's the f.a for giving him job, it suited them to give him job cos they didn't want to be embarrassed again, he lacked top level experience, a world class manager may have guided England through to final.. days nt think big Sam World have fared any better Probably worse
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 12 Jul 18 00:00
maxed out a poor team, from a dream draw nearly pulled if off
By:
mesmerised
When: 12 Jul 18 00:05
We hired a yes man, we got a yes man result, a loss against the first decent team we played.
By:
Captain carnage
When: 12 Jul 18 00:08
He did fairly well with a young squad who had the dream of all dream routes through.

He generated a spirit and unity rarely seen at International level. He should get credit for that.

Central midfield is a an obvious weakness. Henderson looks a decent holder who can spray the ball forward
against modest opposition. But, put him in against champions league class players and he losses confidence,
doesn't track properly, misses headers, is scared to pass forward and the whole set up of team is then a problem.

The problem is Shelvey and Wilshire are `problems' before they even get on the plane. Shelvey's defensive weakness and indiscipline
on the pitch will surely rule him out of ever appearing for England. Wilshire refuses to commit himself to the sport and lost his place
in a Bournemouth team.
By:
RozelKid
When: 12 Jul 18 00:27
Im convinced that if Southgate played Loftus-Cheek instead  of Dier or Henderson then England would be in the Final - Southgate was playing a 3-1-4-2  where Henderson or Dier were in the side to sit just in front of the defence when that clearly wasn't needed - where he should have played a 3-5-2 instead of having that defensive midfielder role -  and give that position to a forward running attacking midfielder like Cheek.

I would have played Cheek at half time at least - with his sole instruction to just run at them straight down the middle at any given opportunity to open up the space for Kane , Rashford, or Sterling.....because he is strong enough to do so.

What a trick they have missed tonight - im fcukin fuming as they should have got to a Final.

Southgate is a defensive Mug
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now