Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
02 Jul 18 21:10
| Topic/replies: 14,027 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
it's gone JJ, it's gone

here's to Lord Emery and the era.

Hopefully he can bring back the much missed St. Totteringham's day.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View ***** ARSENAL CHIT CHAT *****
Show More
Report enpassant March 14, 2019 10:11 PM GMT
Missed chances made it harder than it should have been. Good win when you're 3-1 down from the 1st leg !
Report enpassant March 14, 2019 10:31 PM GMT
Arsenal
Benfica
Chelsea
Eintracht Frankfurt
Napoli
Slavia Prague
Valencia
Villarreal

Is there country protection?

No. This will be an open draw in which no teams are seeded and clubs from the same national association can be drawn against each other. Any restrictions will be announced ahead of the draw. The side drawn first will play the first leg at home.

What about the semi-final draw?

Unlike previous seasons, the route to the final will be mapped out at this stage. After the quarter-final draw there is a semi-final draw too, followed by a draw to determine the 'home' team in the final for administrative reasons.
Report enpassant March 14, 2019 11:36 PM GMT
Niles !
Report Whisperingdeath March 15, 2019 3:07 PM GMT
Not a bad draw for Arsenal. A short flight. Good opposition who are not as good as they were. It will be tough for Arsenal but they have a good size squad and depth to deal with this tie.

Spurs are having a mare. I might have liked them to get into the semi's to pile on the fixture congestion and injuries but three games against citeh will take their toll physically and hopefully emotionally! IMHO Spurs in danger of finishing outside top 4 if manure get themselves together.

The question is can Arsenal play away from home?
Report enpassant March 16, 2019 11:09 AM GMT
Napoli are not a great side and we will get through I believe.
Their supporters can be absolute scum (those that simply support their club are quality though) attacking a cafe ffs last time we met them in a competitive game.

I think we have hit form at the right time. We have players busting a gut to get into the side, look fresh, have rotated regularly and I think when needed we will raise our game in some tough-ish looking away games in the league.
Niles, Kolasinac, Mikhitayan, Iwobi and even Xhaka have raised their games substantially of late and Koscielny has come back from a shaky beginning to looking commanding alongside Sokratis and Monreal. Then add Ozil's improved displays, Ramsey seems to be in the best form for many a season - we are in great shape imo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

11 v 11 I think they could compete with City over the 2 legs. But as you point out they will have 3 games against them and Pool away thrown in for good measure and a very congested looking fixture pile up. They have got Kane and Ali back which will obviously help them but their bench has looked pretty average (being kind there!)of late and at a time when the demands are at the most telling it will be very hard for their squad to cope. I'd have to say if they manage to end the season well they will deserve anything they get out of it because a case for missing out on all fronts could be made.
Their top 11 are good enough for sure to give City problems in the league game and CL.
They HAVE to raise their game, game after game, and on balance I think it is more likely they miss out on both.
Report enpassant March 16, 2019 11:19 AM GMT
Just a thought: If you are Poch' and you know you are going to leave fairly soon, to get a really big club you might well prioritise the CL over top 4 as even getting to the final would be an eye catcher.
His team selection for the Brighton game could reflect his intentions as it comes on the 7th April and City on the 9th ! Brighton can be very obdurate.
Stick or twist ?
Report Swiss Franc March 20, 2019 8:45 AM GMT
According to newspaper rumours, Emery is already
fed up with (Denis )the  wrong) Suarez & will be returning him
back to Barcelona at the end of the season
Report lurka March 20, 2019 9:34 AM GMT
Since Kane's return 5 games ago, he's played 90 mins in all 5 games, scored 4 or 100% of Spurs goals and they've only picked up 1 point in 12 (against us), winning the Dortmund game. They were scoring more freely and conceding less without him and it's their defence which has let them down, not his absence, with some tougher fixtures coming up.

There's been no change in our form. We've been magnificent at home all season and abysmal away all season. Awful performances esp away to Bate and Rennes. Only beaten Hudderfield away and picked up 6 of last 24 away points. No basis for assuming we'll raise our game in tough away fixtures, the toughest 3 on weeknights while we still have big Thursday night games and will have to rest some players. It's more likely that Spurs will get their form back than we start performing away from home. Whether Burnley need a result to stay up on the last day will be a big factor too.

I don't think we'll need as many points as some might think are needed for 4th but will be more reliant on Spurs/Man U/Chelsea not picking up as many as expected either. Napoli away will prob be the toughest of all our games.
Report enpassant March 20, 2019 10:23 PM GMT
They have 3 games v City - 2 of which are away. Away to Pool also. They have collapsed season after season when pressure is applied so I think it is legitimate to say the same will happen again. It may not of course but history says it will.
We are improving with a fresh and hungry looking squad, at the right time to be so.

We will beat Newc
they will lose to pool

Do you agree ?
Report lurka March 21, 2019 10:48 AM GMT
Yeah reckon we'll beat Newc and Pool should beat Spurs. They could fall away after the CL games and City away but I'd be worried about the Watford, Wolves and Leicester away games. Palace at home could be tricky too as they are better away from home and it comes less than 3 days after the trip to Napoli.

Not so sure we've improved really, we've just had a few good results at home which we've done all season. Thought we were blessed to beat Man U and that wasn't a great performance, could have lost that by 2 on another day. The away games will decide it and I haven't seen any improvement there yet. Played well against Spurs but really let them off the hook when they were in poor form and the performances against Bate and Rennes were worse than usual.
Report Whisperingdeath March 21, 2019 11:06 AM GMT
Confidence plays a big part and The Big Mo is with Arsenal. Should they win or or two more games the pressure will be big on spurs and Manure coming into the weekend of 20th April.

The exciting factor is Aresenal are so unpredictable or rather they seem to have become predictable! Aresenal really should gave more than the teams beneath them but you just cannot count on them away from home.

I Ashley take a positive view because they have eyes on the prize now. I hope to recoup some money on Arsenal winning awaLaugh the definition of madness need not apply!Laugh.
Report enpassant March 21, 2019 12:55 PM GMT
4 points from the two games was what most Arsenal supporters thought (prior to th egames) would be an excellent return. We got the 3 points from Manu and pundits can talk all day long about how well they played- they went home with nil points and that is the bottom line.

I am absolutely certain we have improved. We are a far better side than last season and as every week passes Emery is learning more and more about his players. To evidence this, as they say- the league doesn't lie.
They could prove me wrong of course but, as Whisp' states, the momentum is with us and it is in our hands now. Add that to the form of some of our players- I would think we are best placed for 3rd let alone 4th.

Report lurka March 21, 2019 8:21 PM GMT
Of course we've improved from last season. We are 12 points better off after 30 games. I'm talking about our current form and don't really see it as us having improved in that time despite picking up points in the league. It was the same when we went on that run after the first two games when we had easier away games against bottom half sides and everything we hit was going in the net.

I mentioned the Man U game because our performance is not evidence that we're improving at all. Two very lucky goals and poor defending where they should have scored at least two. Likewise Bate and Rennes away. We need to improve a lot still to pick up points in these away games, esp defensively, ie the improvement hasn't happened yet is my point.
Report enpassant March 21, 2019 10:25 PM GMT
The improvement is ongoing and is visible imo. Man u may have scored 2 or even 3- we had other chances also so could have had 4 or 5 - none of that matters at this stage of the season, only points. We have gears to go up and I believe we will step up to the mark. Newc is a huge game and if we are sitting in 3rd after it the boost to the squad could be telling.
In any case we are way ahead of expectations for this season with what Emery has done and he is improving the side incrementally game by game (with blips yes)so top 4 and/or winning the europa would be a great start to his tenure.
Report Whisperingdeath March 22, 2019 9:53 PM GMT
Without so7nding l8ke an after timer here but when **** were interested in Sanchez they offered Cash plus Sterlin* and I though5 that was a great deal for Arsenal. A real shame we missed out on him
Report pixie March 25, 2019 10:46 PM GMT
Yep, we've definitely improved although we still have the same problem of too many individual mistakes and the defenders still lack any sort of understanding between themselves.
Report enpassant March 31, 2019 8:39 PM BST
A big thank you to Hugo for today.
Report the fink sisters April 1, 2019 11:07 AM BST
Good to be going into the last few games of the season with a realistic chance of Top 4, so Emery does deserve a lot of credit.

Still worried, like many on here, about our away form and given what we've achieved away from home so far this season, the run-in is far from easy. I really hope that Newcastle aren't in one of their obdurate moods tonight, as it would be a real boost to go third ahead of the next round of fixtures.
Report Whisperingdeath April 1, 2019 11:51 AM BST
each game as it comes. Huge pressure on Spurs now to avoid Thursday night football on channel 5 in an empty new stadium! Oh and then it starts freal! Top teams try and pinch your best players and offer more money!
Report enpassant April 1, 2019 6:57 PM BST
'Arsenal are also unbeaten in last 30 PL home games against non-Big 6 teams (W29 D1) since Jan 2017.'

^That's pretty impressive !
Report enpassant April 1, 2019 7:07 PM BST
Team to play Newcastle: Leno, Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Mustafi, Monreal, Kolasinac, Guendouzi, Ramsey, Iwobi, Ozil, Lacazette

Subs: Cech, Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Suarez, Jenkinson, Nketiah
Report enpassant April 1, 2019 7:11 PM BST
No Torreira ! PEA ! Mikhi !

He's taken a risk again in picking an odd looking side. If Newc actually look to attack this side they could get some joy. It looks all out attack.
Report enpassant April 1, 2019 7:13 PM BST
AUBA RESTED....

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been ill this weekend with a temperature and isn’t being risked tonight ahead of a busy period
Report the fink sisters April 2, 2019 8:21 AM BST
Torreira was banned enpassant (and is against Everton) thanks to the histrionics of Danny Rose.
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 11:44 AM BST
Yes I forgot that it seems so long ago !
Report the fink sisters April 2, 2019 12:07 PM BST
It seems odd that Lacazette got his three game ban reduced to two for a clear and pre-meditated elbow and Torreira's appeal was turned down, given that a fair few 'experts' deemed the sending-off as harsh. (I know the governing bodies are different).
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 3:08 PM BST
We have the worst Ref's in Europe but our footballing bigwigs act as if they cannot make errors.
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 3:10 PM BST
The GK's black glove seems to have been given as a handball by Lacca ! Ffs
Report donny osmond April 2, 2019 3:13 PM BST
We have the worst Ref's in Europe but our footballing bigwigs act as if they cannot make errors.

all the time in the world to look at it, get it right...

var they will have a few minutes at most....

worrying isnt it!!!
Report Whisperingdeath April 2, 2019 3:15 PM BST

Can you justify that statement? Particularly the bit about having the worst refs in Europe? Do you have any evidence or is that just an opinion?
Report donny osmond April 2, 2019 3:17 PM BST
its just a quote from the weekend isnt it ?

no need to go full wolf here is there ?
Report Whisperingdeath April 2, 2019 3:25 PM BST
true dat

it just annoys me. I dont think the refs are that bad. Just whipping boys but sure cardiff have every reason to feel like the SMALL team!
Report donny osmond April 2, 2019 3:36 PM BST
refs are probably under more scrutiny because of the sky coverage being so thorough

but the benefits of that should be used where possible to correct stuff

when newcastle were still in europe i always felt refs were as good if not better, but i guess
we were seeing the best from each league and not the average as i do at sjp...

and not even average as two of the top premier league refs were declared as newcastle fans so
we never get them
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 3:38 PM BST
Chels 'goal'
Lacca's 'handball'
the propensity to give fouls and cards for dives

Yes it is an opinion of course but having watch countless CL we seem to be way behind. The 'tottenham leg' still works a treat when it is obvious what is taking place.
The fella at our game was shocking last night.
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 3:41 PM BST
The 'bigleagues' should swap ref's around 'cos our lot are poor and getting poorer. No refs at the WC, I think that was the case?
Report donny osmond April 2, 2019 3:41 PM BST
ref last night was from manchester, hes been awful for us when playing manchester teams, but
expectation was he might do us a favour last night as that would help man utd..

didnt let us down...
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 3:47 PM BST
I try to be fair with them, accept they have a difficult job etc but so many of them are just rank poor.......sorry Whisp' !
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 3:51 PM BST
Mike Dean.........come on Whisp' we can find common ground this wretch surely !
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 3:53 PM BST
That skank Ref that took the Chels v scum game a couple of seasons ago- he should have shown about 5+ reds and came out in a book saying he chose not to give them an excuse ! Ffs what kind of organisation produces this kind of warped thinking.
Report Whisperingdeath April 2, 2019 3:55 PM BST
There is little recognition of how difficult a job it is to referee a game that is played at such a pace!
Report enpassant April 2, 2019 4:01 PM BST
That's a fair point of course. The issue is could they be expected to do a good deal better than they are- for me the answer is a resounding YES.
Report Whisperingdeath April 2, 2019 4:57 PM BST
Tell you what, find someobody else to do it then if it that easy!

It is such a fast game I would love to see the armchair critics have a go and even some of the ex players
Report enpassant April 3, 2019 2:48 AM BST
Nobody said it is easy. What was said was that we have a poor bunch of Ref's compared to other countries. I do not see what is wrong with holding that opinion.
This 'armchair' label is thrown around far too much for it own good.....just an opinion of course !
Report enpassant April 7, 2019 1:38 PM BST
Bernd Leno
20 Shkodran Mustafi
5 Sokratis Papastathopoulos
18 Nacho Monreal
15 Ainsley Maitland-Niles
4 Mohamed Elneny
29 Matteo Guendouzi
31 Sead Kolasinac
10 Mesut Özil (c)
7 Henrikh Mkhitaryan
9 Alexandre Lacazette
Subs

1 Petr Cech
    12 Stephan Lichtsteiner
    17 Alex Iwobi
    22 Denis Suárez
    25 Carl Jenkinson
    8 Aaron Ramsey
    14 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
Report enpassant April 7, 2019 1:46 PM BST
He's been rotating the widemen, I guess as they have to do a lot of work up and down the flanks. It will surely pay dividends in terms of freshness for the remaining games. Big game for us today.
Report enpassant April 7, 2019 2:57 PM BST
So very very poor 1st half. Lucky to be only 1 down playing so badly. Everton no great shakes just huff and puff but that's been enough for them to be on top. guendouzi should be replaced by Ramsey from the start of the 2nd half and perhaps Mhik or Ozil for PEA as well. We have not turned up at all but could still win this if we do.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports April 7, 2019 3:02 PM BST
The goal should have been disallowed because it was a foul throw, his foot was well over the line.
One of the worst halfs from them I can remember, there was no shots on target? the passing and build up game is not working, Everton on it straight away with their aggression, need to change it up go longer, I don't even think they made into their box for the last half an hour. Does Trevor Francis have something against Arsenal, every decision for Arsenal he said should have gone the other way, also described them as Snowflakey lol.
Report enpassant April 7, 2019 3:59 PM BST
One of if not the most disappointing performances of the season. Zip zilch nada. An inexplicable lack of umph.
Report enpassant April 7, 2019 4:00 PM BST
I agree darren_  but I thought it was Beglin?
Report lurka April 7, 2019 8:43 PM BST
Part of his foot was touching the line and that is ok under the rules. The performance was the problem but not inexplicable or unexpected imo. More like par for the course for an away game against a decent side. We need to score at least 2 to win these games and look miles away from that.

The teams we have left to play are all decent at home and better at home than the sides we've beaten away this season, apart from Burnley maybe but they are in better form recently than their season reflects. Don't think we are solid or up for the fight enough to get many points out of these games. We are snowflakey and have been for over 10 years.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports April 8, 2019 1:08 AM BST
yes Beglin, the same co-commentataor and ex pro that said 3 times it was a foul throw, I would have thought he'd know, either way it wasn't surprising loss, I heard a stat that Arsenal along with Ipswich, who are bottom of the Championship, are the only 2 teams in the top 4 divisions not to keep a clean sheet away from home all season, absolutely amazing they're top 4 still, any qualifitcation for the Champions League next season in Emery's first year is a success imo, the Europa League would be a bonus. I think a new defensive coach needs to be brought in, Steve Bould's been there a long time and things have either stayed the same or got worse. Will be interesting to see who he sells and who he brings in in the summer, this coming window will define his time at the Emirates, needs to be given the money though.
Report the fink sisters April 8, 2019 10:39 AM BST
...well we know he won't be given any money, that's for sure.

Entirely in keeping with our away form so far this season. Watford, Leicester and Wolves all difficult games to come. Cannot believe we are trading at about even money for Top 4 as this looks extremely unlikely (we were 1.4 before Spuds beat Palace).
Report enpassant April 11, 2019 7:25 PM BST
Petr Cech
5 Sokratis Papastathopoulos
6 Laurent Koscielny (c)
18 Nacho Monreal
15 Ainsley Maitland-Niles
11 Lucas Torreira
8 Aaron Ramsey
31 Sead Kolasinac
10 Mesut Özil
9 Alexandre Lacazette
14 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Looks like a well balanced side with a good look to it imo.
Report roadrunner46 April 11, 2019 7:57 PM BST
should win easily tonight, hopefully score 2/3 goals more than napoli tonight
Report Blackrock April 12, 2019 9:58 AM BST
Good win last night but by no means game over.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports April 12, 2019 10:51 AM BST
I was looking at Emery's Away record in league games in the last few years, needs to more emphasis on clean sheets away.

Club    Year    P    W    D    L    F    A    PTS    Clean Sheet

Valencia    08 / 09    19    6    4    9    21    28    22    5
Valencia    09 / 10    19    8    3    8    25    28    27    6
Valencia    10 / 11    19    11    3    5    30    23    36    4
Valencia    11  / 12    19    6    6    7    19    24    24    7

Spartak M    May 12-Nov 12    10    4    2    4    24    15    14    2

Sevilla    Jan 14-May 14    10    1    6    3    8    10    9    2
Sevilla    14 / 15    19    10    2    7    33    32    32    4
Sevilla    15 / 16    19    0    9    10    13    29    9    3

PSG    16 / 17    19    14    0    5    41    20    42    8
PSG    17 / 18    19    12    5    2    38    14    41    8

Arsenal    18 / 19    15    5    4    6    26    28    19    0

All    total    187    77    44    66    278    251    275    49
Report roadrunner46 April 12, 2019 11:19 AM BST
napoli want stop arsenal scoring in the next leg, the tie is over as far as im concerned.
Report lurka April 12, 2019 12:06 PM BST
Tie should be over but isn't. Our central midfielders were the main attacking threat last night but still should have got 3 or 4, they could have got 1 or 2 as well.

Don't see any basis for assuming Arsenal will perform well away from home. Bate, Rennes, Everton are recent evidence of that. What evidence is there to assume they will perform away against a decent side? Napoli may not have to do much to stop Arsenal scoring if they put in a performance like Everton.
Report enpassant April 12, 2019 12:07 PM BST
Very handy to not concede. Lessons need to be taken heed of from recent history of our away performances but all told I think Napoli are not up to the hype of the pundits. It may be that they had an off night but I think we will go through.
Report roadrunner46 April 12, 2019 12:16 PM BST
considering he rested his best team against everton, including that as example of their poor record away doesnt hold upto to scrutiny, emery needs to set up the team to outscore them in the next leg, that will be the key to going through.
Report enpassant April 12, 2019 1:22 PM BST
Torreira makes a huge difference: his covering the backline, his terrier-like tackling and harrassing, his quick accurate passing- huge misses when he is not in the side.
Report lurka April 12, 2019 3:11 PM BST

Apr 12, 2019 -- 12:16PM, roadrunner46 wrote:

considering he rested his best team against everton, including that as example of their poor record away doesnt hold upto to scrutiny, emery needs to set up the team to outscore them in the next leg, that will be the key to going through.

What evidence is there to assume they will perform away against a decent side?

Report enpassant April 12, 2019 3:48 PM BST
The scum game ?
Report darren_discombobulates_sports April 12, 2019 5:40 PM BST
Arsenal beat Sporting Lisbon away 0-1 this season, a few months before Sporting had beating Atletico 1-0 at home, also beat AC Milan 0-2 at the San Siro last season, Napoli are a step up from both but from what I saw last night they're not much to worry about, 1 goal and Napoli will need 4, can't see Arsenal not getting 1 at least, they miss Jorginho and Sarri, for as much as they're not highly regarded in England, they suited Napoli. Rennes' was a bad loss but really Arsenal should clearly have ran riot early on but didn't take opportunities, then Sokratis was sent off and it changed the game, Rennes scored 1 minute later, then an own goal and a late 3rd, turning them over second leg wasn't that big a worry.

Napoli do have a very good record at home but they were turned over 1-3 by Leipzig last season, don't think the ground is one of the more intimidated places either, it's one of those stadia's with an Athletics track running round it, much different when fans are right on top of you.
Report pcygan April 13, 2019 7:37 AM BST
Getting a bit ahead of myself here, but does anyone know what will happen to the Brighton game on May 4th should we get to the semi of the EL? Arsenal website confirms the Leicester game will be moved, but nothing about the Brighton game.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports April 13, 2019 10:24 AM BST
I don't know but I'm assuming the Leicester game will be moved back 1 day and the Brighton game will be moved forward 1 day so the fixtures would then look like this

24/04 - Wolves (a)

28/04 - Leicester City (a)... (rather than 29th?)

02/05 - Europa League semi-final first leg

05/05 - Brighton & Hove Albion (h).... (rather than 4th?)

09/05 - Europa League semi-final second leg

12/05 - Burnley (a)

So they'd have 4 days to prepare for both legs maybe.
Report pcygan April 13, 2019 2:39 PM BST
Thanks - that makes sense.
The Arsenal website has the following message for the Leicester game - 'In the event that we reach the Europa League semi-finals, this match will be rescheduled to Sunday 28 April 12pm'
But no message for the Brighton game - strange...... Will try and call the box office during the week to see what they say.
Report Blackrock April 14, 2019 10:39 AM BST
Great username Pascal.Grin
Report enpassant April 15, 2019 11:55 AM BST
Team selection tonight will tell us a lot about Emery's thinking.
Report enpassant April 15, 2019 7:03 PM BST
Team to play Watford: Leno, Koscielny, Mavropanos, Mustafi, Monreal, Ramsey, Torreira, Xhaka, Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang
Subs: Cech, Elneny, Lacazette, Ozil, Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Kolasinac
Report enpassant April 15, 2019 7:05 PM BST
Rested both wing-backs ! 451 it looks like.
Report Whisperingdeath April 15, 2019 7:16 PM BST
Every battle is important! Thank God Watford may have one eye on Wembley if they are not fighting for places on the the day!

More like Dick Emery. What a team selection!

One win puts the pressure on all those around!
Report enpassant April 15, 2019 7:33 PM BST
It's probably a team to battle it out with Watford, at least for the first hour or so. A draw is no disaster here but a win would be massive.
Report montyspass April 15, 2019 7:41 PM BST
22 points off top spot

Great days
Report montyspass April 15, 2019 7:43 PM BST
Cry
Report enpassant April 15, 2019 7:43 PM BST
One step at a time.
Report enpassant April 15, 2019 9:52 PM BST
That performance was worse than Everton.
Report lurka April 15, 2019 10:04 PM BST
Yep but 3 points is 3 points. Don't know why anyone expects an away performance better than that from Arsenal at this stage
Report sofiakenny April 15, 2019 10:58 PM BST
lurka  100% correct.
Report enpassant April 16, 2019 1:48 AM BST

Apr 15, 2019 -- 10:04PM, lurka wrote:

Yep but 3 points is 3 points. Don't know why anyone expects an away performance better than that from Arsenal at this stage

We can perform away but we are not doing so of late. I don't see/hear people saying they 'expect' a performance away from home but give reasons why we can be hopeful of one. We are in 4th and have a game in hand on Chels with 5 games left. Let's just be thankful for that atm eh.

Report enpassant April 16, 2019 2:03 AM BST
With 2 home wins we would will need something like 4 points from our 3 away games to make top 4- who wouldn't have taken that at the start of the season ?
Report lurka April 16, 2019 11:27 AM BST
Yep it will be a great achievement to make top 4 with our squad no matter how. Re the away form there are some who think the Napoli tie is over. You have to expect a much better away performance than the evidence suggests for that to be the case. In particular our attacking players have gone missing in almost every away game this year. Auba and Lacazette have 1 goal each this year away from home. The team has scored 6 in 8 away this year ignoring the Blackpool cup game.
Report Blackrock April 16, 2019 11:45 AM BST
Our away form is not bad, its abject.
Absolute rubbish at Everton, and with Watford gifting us a goal and Deeney getting sent off - we still  struggled to get over the line.
I don't know why we are so poor away from home, but getting past Napoli isn't a foregone conclusion.
Report roadrunner46 April 18, 2019 12:19 AM BST
another poor away performance on monday, hope the players dont embarrass the club and throw -in the towel on thursday, if they do, they will only have themselves to blame COYG'S
Report enpassant April 18, 2019 9:58 PM BST
More evidence that we can perform away from home. We were told again and again that Napoli were a class act and would knock us out of this comp and we beat them home and away without conceding and without fuss.
Report pcygan April 18, 2019 10:32 PM BST
We look a completely different side when we don't start with Mustafi, Ozil and Mkhitaryan. I wasn't waiting for any kind of wobble to happen tonight - we defended well and looked ready to get involved when tempers flared. If we can weed the week players (like the above 3) out over the summer, then I think we'll start getting somewhere......
Report enpassant April 19, 2019 4:17 PM BST
"Arsenal now have conceded just one goal in the past seven matches across all competitions:

Arsenal 2-0 Man United
Arsenal 3-0 Rennes
Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle
Everton 1-0 Arsenal
Arsenal 2-0 Napoli
Watford 0-1 Arsenal
Napoli 0-1 Arsenal"
Report pcygan April 20, 2019 4:01 PM BST
Final home game v Brighton - now confirmed as 4.30pm kick off on Sunday May 5th - live on Sky.
Report Whisperingdeath April 20, 2019 7:05 PM BST
Crunch game is v Wolves I think. Get a win there and St Totteringham Day is back!

Don't think many points will be dropped. Manure v Chelski on 28th April, Manure v Citeh on 24th April will probably decide it for Arsenal but Everton away may well be tricky for Manure.

76 might be enough points for Arsenal by default but see no reason why they cannot go on and dominate.
Report enpassant April 21, 2019 8:42 PM BST
Squarely on Emery's shoulders today. Took a massive liberty with team selection and got stung. Threw away 3 points for what ?
Report sofaking April 21, 2019 8:52 PM BST

Apr 20, 2019 -- 7:05PM, Whisperingdeath wrote:

Crunch game is v Wolves I think. Get a win there and St Totteringham Day is back!Don't think many points will be dropped. Manure v Chelski on 28th April, Manure v Citeh on 24th April will probably decide it for Arsenal but Everton away may well be tricky for Manure.76 might be enough points for Arsenal by default but see no reason why they cannot go on and dominate.

St. Totteringham's Day has been cancelled for the foreseeable future.

Report lurka April 21, 2019 11:20 PM BST
Mustafi at fault for all 3 goals. Marking Benteke for the first and lets him run into the 6 yard box unchallenged for a free header. Woeful for the second. Marking McArthur for he third and runs away from him leaving him unchallenged for a free header in the 6 yard box.
Report Whisperingdeath April 22, 2019 7:53 AM BST
St Totteringham DayCry

The Manager needs shooting. Mustafi and El Ninny, why?

Play your best team. Play your best team. Play your best team.

Each game is a battle. There will be casualties on the way but easier for players to come into a settled side and stand up to the plate. The writing was on the wall about Palce being effective away from home when Zaha is playing and Benteke scores his first goal in a year sums it up.

Sun Tzu would shoot his General, rightly! You can't blame some players for being sheite when we already know they are.
Report enpassant April 22, 2019 9:02 AM BST
It was Jenkinspn that played Benteke onside. You can't blame Mustafi for that. The third goal was again an offside trap that was not played by 3 players. That is simple organisation stuff. Why they hung around watching like spectators when they should have been running out (just like Lacca did!)is again down to training. Mustafi was shocking,  utterly shocking for their 2nd goal but not the other 2.
Report lurka April 22, 2019 11:16 AM BST
Offside trap not played by 3 players? LOL So Mustafi was playing it on his own then? Quality defending.

You have to question the wisdom of playing offside with modern day offside rules in the first place, especially with non-regulars in the XI, but Mustafi should let the officials decide offside and follow Benteke anyway. He is absolutely at fault for the third as well. You push out when the ball is cleared. 

The guy is a prize mug and we need to get his wages off the bill ASAP.
Report the fink sisters April 22, 2019 11:46 AM BST
Funniest moment yesterday was Mustafi’s dive. Embarrassing.

We’ve had some pretty poor defenders over the years but this guy really takes the biscuit and always seems to start. Be interesting to see how we play Wolves. Tactical genius Emery needs to show he’s learnt something from playing them earlier this season.
Report enpassant April 22, 2019 10:36 PM BST
Look at what I posted instead of getting all passive aggressive again lurka- You seem to take affront when someone disagrees with your assessment.
Report enpassant April 22, 2019 10:59 PM BST
We play a VERY HIGHLINE against free kicks inside our half. This has been the case for some time. Mustafi has Benteke in a clear offside position but only Jenkinson loses discipline.
https://www.arsenal.com/news/watch-key-moments-crystal-palace-game  00:14 shows this with absolute clarity.

3rd goal- Torriera is on Dann ffs- Koscielny is marking thin air and Kolasninac, Guendouzi and Auba are the ones daydreaming and playing 2 or 3 CP onside. Lacca was near post and as soon as the corner was heading away from goal he was on his way out as was Mustafi. Now you can say Mustafi shoulda, coulda, woulda but to lay the goal on him is a stretch.

The 2nd goal needs no explaining as for fault.
Report lurka April 23, 2019 1:14 AM BST
Mustafi was marking McArthur and let him get goal side, lost him and then ran out. You don't push out until the ball is cleared. Just because Lac ran out doesn't mean the rest of them should have. He is not a defender. If he'd stayed with McArthur he wouldn't have scored.

You can play a high line all you want but you still get goal side of the runners unless you are pushing out to play the offside trap, which we weren't as 3 other defenders ran towards goal. If he is offside the linesman should flag, if not you are in position to challenge the attacker instead of giving him a free header inside the 6 yard box. Playing a high line is not the same as playing the offside trap, you should still get goal side of your man or level with him at the very least in case he is not offside. Jenkinson f'd up, yes, but Mustafi was asleep when the ball was played and let Benteke go, then stuck his hand up when he knew he wasn't getting anywhere near him. It was poor defending by him. You don't just rely on offside when playing a high line and not follow your man, you rely on offside when playing the offside trap, which we don't. If he'd done his job properly Benteke wouldn't have had a free header 5 yards out despite Jenkinson's mistake.
Report lurka April 23, 2019 2:20 AM BST
https://streamable.com/5fnye

here's the video of us playing the high line when he gave away the penalty against Spurs. Watch how all the Arsenal defenders, Mustafi included, drop a yard just before the ball is played to get back goal side of their men by the time the ball gets into the box. That's how he is supposed to play the high line.

Against Palace Mustafi switched off and let Benteke get 2 yards away from him before he moved. He knew he was miles out of position and stuck his hand up claiming offside. He was looking to blame someone else for the other 2 goals as well.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com