Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
02 Jul 18 21:10
| Topic/replies: 4,515 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
it's gone JJ, it's gone

here's to Lord Emery and the era.

Hopefully he can bring back the much missed St. Totteringham's day.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View ***** ARSENAL CHIT CHAT *****
Show More
Report Blackrock August 12, 2018 10:28 AM BST
He's a trier alright , but not too much ability. Would be gone if somebody had wanted to buy him in the window.
Report John.W.Henry. August 12, 2018 11:28 AM BST
Im thinking the new boss will like him. He will love his work ethic, his ability to play in many various positions and if he can stay fit he will be getting a new contract.
Report John.W.Henry. August 12, 2018 11:29 AM BST
Rabbit out the hat today if he starts. No one would have predicted that earlier in the week and he is featuring in many of the team photos of the training session yesterday
Report Blackrock August 12, 2018 12:00 PM BST
I'd be surprised if he figures in Emerys plans. I know we are short of left backs at the min, but surely Holding or Maitland Niles will get a start there?
Report jed.davison August 12, 2018 12:22 PM BST
Can't wait for this afternoon. Have done 6-0 and 7-0 City, think I may have erred on the side of caution.
Report montyspass August 12, 2018 12:26 PM BST
The owner doesn't aim to win,.. The new manager ok, players ok but not aiming to win.

Who's neck is on the line, the fans imo
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 12:41 PM BST
Niles will be LB today but if Nacho has issues (and with Kos out) we need to be thinking of other options so why not this a possibility ?
I'm very much hoping Torr is fit enough to play and if so would he go with a defensive 2 in front of the back 4 ?. I hope Emery chooses a team that shows he is prepared to make big calls from the off. If so HB would be in danger of being benched. City will plat the only way they can and we need to take advantage of that.
Leno,lich,sm,sok,mn,torr,me,mo,hm,ar or al,pea.
I read he has chosen 2 RB's on the right side more than once - Lich with HB would be more solid and interesting today - but it would just be nice to see a plan in place after years of throwing the same 11 on the pitch and throw them a ball !
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:04 PM BST
1Cech
    2Bellerín
    5Papastathopoulos
    20Mustafi
    15Maitland-Niles
    29Guendouzi
    34Xhaka
    7Mkhitaryan
    8Ramsey
    10Özil
    14Aubameyang
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:10 PM BST
Not really comfortable with this line up.
Does he really think Xhaka is up to this ? I don't.
Ozil on the left here ? Never worked out for Wenger.
Only one pace outlet in this side.
Guendouzi I like but he does get caught out taking too much time on the ball in front of the back 4. I love the way he wants to take the ball off the back 4 and play it forward but he will have to liven himself up in possession if he is not to get caught on the ball a number of times.
--------------------------------------------------
Hope I'm wrong and much may depend on how Emery sets them up but I feel uneasy with this side.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 3:12 PM BST
city will tear you a new one for sure
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:17 PM BST
That's original and well considered. Thanks for the contribution.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 3:19 PM BST
sorry didnt mean to be disrespectful but even money on city had to be taken apols if i offended anyoneBlush
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:20 PM BST
City only have sterling for pace which will help our CH's to hold a highish line. Their side does not look particularly intimidating on reflection: with a central 3 of xhaka,guen & ramsey we need to give them minimal space and time and hit Ozil quickly to feed PEA.
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:24 PM BST

Aug 12, 2018 -- 3:19PM, The Dragon wrote:

sorry didnt mean to be disrespectful but even money on city had to be taken apols if i offended anyone

I have to say I am a little disappointed in the team selection and could see why people may consider it easy money (Xhaka is the real downer but Torr may not be fit enough) but we have been very good going forward for years but appallingly organised. Emery is far more clued up than Wenger on that score and if he has a specific plan for this set up I could see us getting a positive result...no DeBruyne after all !

Report jed.davison August 12, 2018 3:24 PM BST
Probably the most limited XI Arsenal have fielded in a League match for over two decades.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 3:25 PM BST
well we shall see. arseal now wenger has gone will be intersting to see how they go. i personally thought wenger should have gone a few years earlier but we shall see. dont know much about the new manager and the team but i think you are a club in transition and will be pleased to hit top four

as for ouzil i would have off loaded him - seriel under achiever
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:29 PM BST
One last point. We have had the majority of our big players, in pre-season, much earlier than most. We should have an edge on fitness.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 3:34 PM BST
what your reckoning on the rsult then?
Report dambuster August 12, 2018 3:36 PM BST
1-1
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:37 PM BST
2-1. With the fitness edge we have it will look a very tough season if we get beaten easily. What I am really looking for is Emery making the right calls. We have had 10 years of Wenger doing nothing when things were going wrong on the pitch - waiting until we conceded before acting. No more of that would be a start.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 3:38 PM BST
im on 0-2
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:40 PM BST
We will score.
Report jed.davison August 12, 2018 3:41 PM BST
Most amusing enpassant, what a funny guy you are.
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 3:45 PM BST
Cheers jed, nice to see you all over Arsenal thread mate.
Report jed.davison August 12, 2018 3:46 PM BST
I don't pop in often, not as much life on here as there used to be when Arsenal mattered.
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 4:12 PM BST
Arsenal looking not to bad here, had a little on 2-1 home team
Report Ibrahima Sonko August 12, 2018 4:14 PM BST
Same old Arsenal
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 4:14 PM BST
0-1 east monet
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 4:15 PM BST
Good goal Sterling, Arsenal don't look as bad as previous years so far.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! August 12, 2018 4:15 PM BST
Gunners going DOWN

Laugh
Report jed.davison August 12, 2018 4:16 PM BST
BOOM LaughLaughLaugh
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 4:44 PM BST
Has Ozil managed to pass to one Arsenal player this half, shocking stuff from the so-called midfield maestro.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 4:46 PM BST
lucky to be only 1 down at ht embarrasing
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 4:51 PM BST
City always gonna look good against anyone with the way they play, Arsenal of old would have been taken a duller first half, but still in this if Ozil gets subbed or gets his finger out his arse.
Report montyspass August 12, 2018 4:58 PM BST
Wenger In
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 4:59 PM BST
We are playing out from the back with at least 5 of the 7 back there that are not technically able to do so. Cech, bellend,Skodran, Sokratis & Xhaka. Lesson learned for Emery I hope.
Ozil on the right is mind blowing to be frank. If Wenger done this everyone would have been perplexed.
Not enough pace across the front line.
Torr for Xhaka, Lacca for Ramsey - Mhik back to the right and Ozil in the centre.
Report montyspass August 12, 2018 4:59 PM BST
Haha
Report montyspass August 12, 2018 5:00 PM BST
Apologies

Cry
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 5:00 PM BST
going down with the boroLaugh
Report montyspass August 12, 2018 5:01 PM BST
Xhaka again has been really poor

Guendouzi??

Xhaka and Guendouzi?
Report Des Pond August 12, 2018 5:02 PM BST
A bit early to be judging the new Coach this harshly, imo. They were always going to be up against it today. I like the look of Guendoozi (apart from the hair). He seems to be an elegant player who uses the ball well. I think he will do well for Arsenal.
Report montyspass August 12, 2018 5:05 PM BST
2nd division ligue player alongside a player who should have been dropped/binned two seasons ago.

Xhaka can't hold his own, tough on a new young player to come in and look accomplished.

Get Xhaka off
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 5:05 PM BST
I dont judge him in the long term I am pointing out things we ALL know about these players- why doesn't he ? It hasn't worked in a big way 1st half, we'll see if he sees it, and makes a tactical change.
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 5:10 PM BST
When did Arsenal sign David Luiz, must have missed that transfer Devil
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 5:13 PM BST
Get that nancy boy Ozil off
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 5:15 PM BST
City on the ropes Laugh
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 5:23 PM BST
what a miss
Report Des Pond August 12, 2018 5:23 PM BST
just as I speak. Guenduzi makes a bad mistake, but Aguerro was greedy.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! August 12, 2018 5:24 PM BST
Dick-

"Oh you are awful

"But I do like you

EMERY

HOHOHO

LaughLaughLaugh
Report Des Pond August 12, 2018 5:29 PM BST
"fink I got it wrong again, dad" Grin
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 5:31 PM BST
0-2 is onTongue Out
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 5:42 PM BST
Souness should rip into Ozil display today, done sweet fcuk all, at least David Luiz looks like he gives a ****.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 5:45 PM BST
city or liverpool to win this year rest are dogs
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 5:46 PM BST
Agree either one looks to be the winner
Report Des Pond August 12, 2018 5:47 PM BST
Guenduzi has done OK. He is only 19. Playing against City in his PL debut, made a couple of errors, but he will improve and become a very good player, imo.
Report One footed pony August 12, 2018 5:48 PM BST
Do half of them even know who they're playing for?

Yep next
Report GAZO August 12, 2018 5:58 PM BST
going to be a long season for arsenal,outclassed by city who pretty much played within themselves
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 6:00 PM BST
Was always going to be hard season for Arsenal, to many really average players inherited by new manager.
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:02 PM BST
Emery made a poor team selection. Then once he had done that he made another in the way he set them out. He seemed to understand that, in his subs (made the two I suggested at ht and the positional change) but it's a worry he didn't see this before the game.
Given we handed City such an advantage we certainly showed there is something there and we will improve leaps and bounds if these clear lessons have been learned today.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 6:04 PM BST
and your point is
Report GAZO August 12, 2018 6:05 PM BST
we are not totally crap,just crap
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 6:07 PM BST
they were always going t lose to city  class apart.. arsenal happy to gt top 4 ( no chance) poor team
Report gibmark August 12, 2018 6:07 PM BST
will be hard for most to accept now , but Arsenal will miss Wenger
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:10 PM BST

Aug 12, 2018 -- 6:00PM, stroodle wrote:

Was always going to be hard season for Arsenal, to many really average players inherited by new manager.

I don't think that is true. There are certainly players that are not good enough but there is a decent team within the squad - the question is- is there too many ?
leno lich mustafi sokrat monreal torr guend ozil mhik lacca pea - this is a far superior side to the one we had out today. There will be a time in the season when we get on a roll but it's WHEN that happens that will define the season. Emery must learn quickly from his mistakes.

Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:13 PM BST

Aug 12, 2018 -- 6:07PM, The Dragon wrote:

they were always going t lose to city

Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:13 PM BST
^ don't know what happened there
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:16 PM BST
It is a bit of a throw away comment and forgive me, a bit of a lazy one too. I like discussing football with non Arsenal supporters but it really needs some thought put into it to be worthwhile.
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:16 PM BST
well done on your correct score btw
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 6:25 PM BST
Do you still think Ozil should be a cert first team pick player?
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:29 PM BST
Yes. It was a shocking call to put him on the right today. Also with the errors made by Emery today impacting adversely on the side right from front to back it was no wonder individuals and the team as a whole looked poor.
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:36 PM BST
Looking at pre-match opinions on AFCTV it seems the theme was lich for bellend and torr for xhaka - and there was clearly disappointment in the team selection.
WE ALL KNOW the problems with these two players. They are not good enough ; as poor as bellerin is , he is head and shoulders better than xhaka. We cannot afford liabilities in the side...and they are.
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 6:38 PM BST
Ozil is a luxury player who looks good in teams that dominate, Arsenal aint going to dominate anyone with players they have, so he's a liability. Another player living of previous years, must have passed every ball to man city first half today, also caused a few city breaks with his nonchalant attitude.
Report 11kv August 12, 2018 6:39 PM BST
Arsenal are a rich mans Everton this season imo
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 6:41 PM BST

Aug 12, 2018 -- 6:38PM, stroodle wrote:

Ozil is a luxury player who looks good in teams that dominate, Arsenal aint going to dominate anyone with players they have, so he's a liability. Another player living of previous years, must have passed every ball to man city first half today, also caused a few city breaks with his nonchalant attitude.

Do you accept putting him on the right side was a shocker of a call and could only adversely affect his game ?

Report stroodle August 12, 2018 6:48 PM BST
No not really, if your any good should be able to play in a few positions maybe not as good, Ozil was utter rubbish. Gets plaudits everytime he makes the odd good pass, don't see anymore good headlines coming his way now, can only see negative stuff now, past his sell by date for a team who need a team, not carrying players on past years.
Report stroodle August 12, 2018 6:56 PM BST
Arsenal debate on sky debate show tomorrow night, Merson should be straight to the point tomorrow night.
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 7:02 PM BST
You either give him the platform to perform or you do not select him imo. Emery did neither today and the whole team suffered because of it.
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 7:17 PM BST
essant if you wee a decent team you wd be worth talking about -- but your notSad
Report The Dragon August 12, 2018 7:17 PM BST
were
Report jedi sophie August 12, 2018 7:23 PM BST
Poorest Arsenal side I've seen in a decade.
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 7:26 PM BST

Aug 12, 2018 -- 7:17PM, The Dragon wrote:

essant if you wee a decent team you wd be worth talking about -- but your not

OK geez.

Report enpassant August 12, 2018 7:28 PM BST

Aug 12, 2018 -- 7:23PM, jedi sophie wrote:

Poorest Arsenal side I've seen in a decade.

Had you watched us under Wenger for the last 'decade'? If you have that post beggars belief.

Report jedi sophie August 12, 2018 7:31 PM BST
I have, and none worse than that.
Only thing worse was the fans in ground, an utter joke.
Atmosphere for 15 minutes,missing after halftime and missing at end.
Managers first game and barely a soul in ground at end....

How to inspire.Dream on mate.
Report Johnny_Mustang August 12, 2018 7:48 PM BST
It speaks volumes that our best player by far today has come straight from League Deux.

Sacre Bleu.
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 7:52 PM BST
OK. So when you say the poorest side; do you mean selection ? quality of player ? Set up of the side ?
What does 'how to inspire' refer to ?
And what mate should 'dream on'?
Report enpassant August 12, 2018 7:54 PM BST

Aug 12, 2018 -- 7:48PM, Johnny_Mustang wrote:

It speaks volumes that our best player by far today has come straight from League Deux.Sacre Bleu.

I thought Lichsteiner was a cut above Bellerin going forward as well as in defending...and he was out of position ! He deserves credit and a place in the side.

Report lurka August 12, 2018 11:37 PM BST
Both full backs today cannot defend and should be dropped. MN is a youth prospect and should be loaned out, he is too inexperienced to be starting as a defender. You don't start a game for a top 4 PL team unless you are good enough. That's why we are well short of top 4.

Too early to criticise the manager but he still has a lot of work to do.  It's a good thing we have tough games to start but nobody is going to be scared of us and we still look extremely weak defensively. The attacking players were very poor in possession and looked rusty. It will take a few weeks or months for the team to play well imo. The sooner Cech is dropped the better.
Report JUDGE JUDY August 13, 2018 8:10 AM BST
i thought david luiz was our best player

he certainly didnt hide
Report John.W.Henry. August 13, 2018 10:03 AM BST
1.Cech. Made a couple of excellent saves however his footwork in the system Emery wants to play is simply not good enough

2. Bellerín. One really good opportunity which he hit straight at their keeper. Overall he is disappointing.

5. Papastathopoulos. I think he will do ok but is a level below a prospective top 4 team.

20. Mustafi. Actually had one of his better games for us although see above for overall content.

15. Maitland-Niles. Good player but not a left back. Probably needs another season b4 he can hit the required level. Not sure how bad his injury was ??

29. Guendouzi. Tremendous player. All heart and although his positivity will sometimes lead to one or two losses of possession he is well worth his place in the starting 11. Potentially a top quality signing.

34. Xhaka. No progress through the summer whatsoever. He is what he is . Not good enough.

7. Mkhitaryan. Looks as if united knew what they were doing in offloading him. Not sure what role he is supposed to be playing and frankly neither did he !!!

8. Ramsey. Hopeless. We would be best served getting rid of him.

10. Özil. I have said this so many times in the past i just dont think he is any good in a match where you are going to have to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in. A 100% show pony. Not for yesterday , today or tomorrow. Get rid.

14. Aubameyang. Potentially he is a great asset but yesterday he was anonymous. He is going to need more help alongside him if we want the best out of him.

12. Lichtsteiner. We looked far better when he came on. Looks as if he should be in the starting 11 to me ??

9. Lacazette. Wanted more than most did. Looked as if he should be starting.

11. Torreira. We didnt see enough of him but what little we did see indicates he is a far better option than Xhaka.

Unai Emery ... Poor team selection and has to address this very quickly or we will be very soon simply chasing down another europa cup spot at the very best.
Report Johnny_Mustang August 13, 2018 11:52 AM BST
Agree with all of that JW.
Report roadrunner46 August 13, 2018 12:11 PM BST
there was an upside to yesterdays match, categorically knew man city would beat arsenal. maybe this new guy
can make a team out of them. interesting times ahead for the new manager. this season is all about the manager more so than the players. if his good he will get them playing well, otherwise everyone will just blame the players.
Report n88uk August 13, 2018 12:52 PM BST
If you look at those offensive players there, they just aren't the type of offensive players you want for a big game. Too many luxury players who lack work rate and won't put in the defensive work (specifically looking at Mkhitaryan, Ramsey, Ozil), just way too many passengers.
Report John.W.Henry. August 13, 2018 1:15 PM BST
Exactly n88uk... It needs addressing.
Report John.W.Henry. August 13, 2018 1:17 PM BST
JM.....If we can see it why cannot he ????

Nothing has really changed has it ?

Poor start from him imo.
Report John.W.Henry. August 13, 2018 1:19 PM BST
Its a great shame the original thread has been removed... Most of this has been posted ages ago regarding some of these
Report John.W.Henry. August 13, 2018 1:20 PM BST
Prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt but you dont get long at this level anymore. You will be flatlined b4 you know it ..
Report dambuster August 13, 2018 1:53 PM BST
Give the manager a chance FFS, he's been left with the dregs that Wenger left him and has bought in players as a stop gap while he finds out for himself who the passengers are, if we'd have beaten city yesterday, we'd be 5/1  to win the prem league, its going to take him a season at least to get rid of the dead wood and build his own team, Wenger was lucky, when he came to the club, we already had the best defence and the best player in the league in Bergkamp, he tweaked it a bit and changed the players diets, the new manager has far more to do thanks to Wenger
Report DixiEnormus August 13, 2018 2:50 PM BST
Everton will be moving into the top 6 So move over daft lads Silly
Report enpassant August 13, 2018 6:47 PM BST
"Give the manager a chance FFS, he's been left with the dregs that Wenger left him "
That's fair enough and I'm sure he will get that chance. However that does not stop the debate and the concern that Emery thinks Xhaka is good enough for the team. He isn't good enough for the club or even the league itself. Wtf has Emery seen that makes him think any differently, it's such a poor call, I have to say I am worried.

100,000's of Arsenal supporters across the world know this ; 'why doesn't he?....is a perfectly acceptable question to ask.
The other questions arising out of the game pale into insignificance compared to the Xhaka one..but...

Bellerin is not in the same class as the 34 year old Lichsteiner (even when he's playing out of position)
Ozil put out wide on the RIGHT ! what's that about ?
Ramsey in Ozil's position !

There was some positives:
he took Ramsey off.
He took Xhaka off.
He put Lacca & Torreira on in their place (the right calls)
Guendouzi was a brave call and it worked to a large extent.
Report Blackrock August 14, 2018 11:57 AM BST
Agree with the comments about Ramsey, Ozil and Xhaka. Get rid, get rid and get rid. Ramsey and Xhaka not good enough but Ozil frustrates me so much. Has great ability but just doesn't use it.

Tactically, the playing the ball out from the back even under great pressure is not a tactic i like. But it took City a good season under Pep to get it right, so its not gonna happen overnight for us.

We seemed to press at the wrong times imo and sometimes gave City oceans of space to play in. Mahrez collected the ball out wide and was inside the penalty area before he faced an Arsenal player.

But let's not get carried away just yet. Emery needs a full season to get us playing his way and for him to see who should be moved on and who should be kept. We were 12 pts behind the 4th placed team last season, so if we close the gap to 6 pts this season we would be improving.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now