Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
02 Jul 18 21:10
| Topic/replies: 28,940 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
it's gone JJ, it's gone

here's to Lord Emery and the era.

Hopefully he can bring back the much missed St. Totteringham's day.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View ***** ARSENAL CHIT CHAT *****
Show More
Report jed.davison October 23, 2018 12:46 PM BST
Unbelievable that the ref didn't give Leicester a penalty, looking right at it and the boy's arm is way above his head. Arsenal brilliant though second half tbf.
Report enpassant October 23, 2018 1:29 PM BST
It wasn't a pen.
Report enpassant October 23, 2018 1:33 PM BST
We were poor for 1/2 hour and it must be said the goal was coming and UE did nothing to address what was taking place, which is a worry. We were much better from the moment we went behind. The football in the 2nd half was outstanding.
Report pixie October 23, 2018 1:58 PM BST
It's perplexing as to why we start so badly, but boy, we didn't half turn it on in the second half. Looks like the players are having an Arsenal goal of the season competition, judging from some of the goals we have scored. It was wonderful to watch the second half, I'm a bit disappointed by the overall lack of enthusiasm on here especially as there were some super individual performances - Iwobi's crazy run after we conceded the goal seemed to lift the crowd and the team. Iwobi seems to be far more confident and is playing far better than I thought he was capable of from last season.
Report Wesdag October 23, 2018 2:29 PM BST
I think some are having a sabbatical to recover from the stress of the last few years.
Report dambuster October 23, 2018 2:31 PM BST
Pixie, as you know, i thought Wenger stayed on 10 years too long, and lots of people , you included, said that he was still the greatest thing since sliced bread up until 2 years ago, some of you thought we'd close the club down if he left, but, like i said, he was so far out of touch with modern day tactics it was embarrasing,I know its only October, but this is the most excited i've been for years, I'm not saying we're anyway near winning the league, but we're a lot closer now than if Wenger had hung around
Report enpassant October 23, 2018 2:37 PM BST
I think there is plenty of enthusiasm but it is tempered by a dodgy looking back-line (not particularly individually but as a unit). We look fantastic going forward and if we can produce a more solid look and keep the attacking prowess against Liverpool in a couple of games; then the lid will be blown off the and the concerns forgotten. We have come a long way since the opening two defeats and it may be that we excel against a team that does not rely on the counter attack. I would love to see us draw Liverpool on and counter them, even though we're at home. One way or the other it is exciting times ahead.
Report pixie October 23, 2018 3:04 PM BST
I agree, I think there could easily be exciting times ahead. We look to have some very talented youngsters in Mailtand-Niles, Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Guendouzi, Torreira and Iwobi to look forward to as well.
Report dambuster October 23, 2018 3:09 PM BST
Iwobi has looked hungry under Emery a completely different player to the headless chicken last season
Report lurka October 23, 2018 3:09 PM BST
It was as clear a penalty as you will see and the ref was looking right at it. As Carragher said, I think he froze and bottled it. We are nowhere near solid enough for a title challenge and may never be under UE but there is hope at least, something we haven't had much of for 10 years. And we are moving the ball forward at pace and getting in behind defences again instead of passing it sideways outside the box ad nauseum. That's why our attacking players are excelling. I hadn't realised Iwobi was so fast, prob because he never really had a chance to run with or without the ball in the final third under AW. He was told to turn back, play it sideways and keep possession.
Report pixie October 23, 2018 3:22 PM BST
I agree, Dambuster, Iwobi was excellent last night and not for the first time this season either; he is having an impact in most games he plays now. Emery certainly seems to be getting more out of him than Wenger.
Report lurka October 23, 2018 3:23 PM BST
Getting rid of Giroud is a big factor too. Ozil was always wasted playing with him. He needs pacy guys making runs in behind and he has that now with Bellerin and Iwobi as well as the two strikers. Ozil's finish and the ball in behind for the 2nd especially were very like Bergkamp.
Report pixie October 23, 2018 3:31 PM BST
I said to my mate last night during the second half of the game that watching Ozil was like watching Dennis! You could be right about Giroud because we are definitely attacking with far more pace and seem to be opening sides up far more often than last season. Unfortunately the defence doesn't appear to have improved much although Mustafi and Bellerin played well last night.
Report enpassant October 23, 2018 4:01 PM BST
It wasn't a pen. Look at it again. Both players jumped with their hands up (as is perfectly normal) the Leicester player 'headed' Holding's arm which then hit the ball. Handball is meant to be intentional - there was NO INTENTION to handle the ball on Holding's part.
I am not claiming this is why the Ref didn't give it because if it was it was an absolutely f...ing outstanding call.
Report dambuster October 23, 2018 4:41 PM BST
If we could defend as a unit, we'd be closer to the big one, i'd like to see Bould ousted because i thought he was being undermined by Wenger , but now he's gone and Bould has the running of things, we haven't improved and the buck stops with him if he's in charge of defending
Report John.W.Henry. October 23, 2018 4:54 PM BST
pixie • October 23, 2018 10:39 AM BST
Ozil....I'd pay him more.

Ridiculous statement.

When he performs in a really big game and  / or a match within the mini league of top 4 contenders then i may well say he is going someway to justifying his huge salary however he rose to the occasion of bullying an inferior side as his want.

Overall we were dreadful for 35 minutes but upped the ante for the majority of the 90.

Feet on ground for me as i have to see how we perform against a real contender b4 i get over excited, however, we do look as though we can completely overwhelm inferior opposition now and we now need to improve the defence so we can compete with the big boys.

Hope springs eternal and we will always score plenty when the attacking players are firing on all cylinders.
Report John.W.Henry. October 23, 2018 4:59 PM BST
pixie 23 Oct 18 15:31 Joined: 24 May 02 | Topic/replies: 5,915 | Blogger: pixie's blog
I said to my mate last night during the second half of the game that watching Ozil was like watching Dennis! You could be right about Giroud because we are definitely attacking with far more pace and seem to be opening sides up far more often than last season

Ozil needs to perform in a big game. Until then we need to remain realistic. Not get carried away but enjoy the fact that we are moving forward as 10 wins on the spin indicates.

My only hope with regards to that is defo that the luck isnt all being used up in one gigantic lump !!!

Loving the results dot com
Report John.W.Henry. October 23, 2018 5:07 PM BST
dambuster 22 Oct 18 17:48 Joined: 12 Apr 02 | Topic/replies: 3,752 | Blogger: dambuster's blog
Arsenal to win and BBTS imo

Good shout dambuster,
Report John.W.Henry. October 23, 2018 5:09 PM BST
we need to drum up the enthusiasm for the thread and get the banter back. Shame we lost the original but hey ho...on we go
Report jon b October 23, 2018 5:43 PM BST
Not watched game. but Ozil being compared to DR10, I hope that was a joke, bloke couldn,t lace his boots, lets see how Ozil performs when he,s up against Liverpool rather than Leicester
Report John.W.Henry. October 23, 2018 5:44 PM BST
We have to hope that he performs jon as i think he is going to play
Report lurka October 23, 2018 6:05 PM BST
Didn't compare Ozil to DB10, just said one finish and one ball were very like DB10, which they were if you watch the game.
Report John.W.Henry. October 23, 2018 6:13 PM BST
lurka... I watched the game and Ozil was awesome from the end of the 1st half onwards.

Can he do it in a real game ? That is the $64000 ???
Report pixie October 23, 2018 7:05 PM BST

Ridiculous statement.

You don't have a sense of humour? And nobody on here has said that Ozil is anything like as consistently good as DB10 but that his performance last night was reminiscent of him. That is all.
Report Blackrock October 23, 2018 7:28 PM BST
Only fair to praise Ozil when he plays well as he did last night. He's had plenty of slagging when he hasn't played at all.

Iwobi has come on in leaps and bounds this season and Welbeck has surprised me also.
Report jon b October 23, 2018 9:23 PM BST
I just want to see him perform in one big game, name one so far, im struggling tbh
Report John.W.Henry. October 24, 2018 8:30 AM BST
pixie 23 Oct 18 19:05 Joined: 24 May 02 | Topic/replies: 5,916 | Blogger: pixie's blog

Ridiculous statement.

You don't have a sense of humour? And nobody on here has said that Ozil is anything like as consistently good as DB10 but that his performance last night was reminiscent of him. That is all.
Rate reply:

My apologies pixie.........I had simply 4gotton what a complete joker you really are Cry
Report the bloob October 24, 2018 12:31 PM BST
I don't think the penalty not being given changed the outcome, if it had been given and scored then I still think Arsenal would have won. The game changed completely when Leicester did score, they sat back and Arsenal got at them and won easily in the end

I can see the point of view that Holding's arm was knocked into the ball, but you shouldn't really have your arms that high in the first place, it was a penalty
Report The Prophet October 24, 2018 6:13 PM BST

Oct 24, 2018 -- 2:30AM, John.W.Henry. wrote:

pixie 23 Oct 18 19:05 Joined: 24 May 02 | Topic/replies: 5,916 | Blogger: pixie's blogpixie • October 23, 2018 10:39 AM BSTOzil....I'd pay him more.Ridiculous statement. You don't have a sense of humour? And nobody on here has said that Ozil is anything like as consistently good as DB10 but that his performance last night was reminiscent of him. That is all.Rate reply: My apologies pixie.........I had simply 4gotton what a complete joker you really are

Not sure what your problem is JWH.....absolutely nothing wrong with pixie's statement.

I guess haters are gonna hate whatever...and you are a top hater.

Report jon b October 24, 2018 8:35 PM BST
Looks like Jeds mob might be joining us shortly, they used to love Thursday night footy
Report enpassant October 24, 2018 10:44 PM BST

Oct 24, 2018 -- 6:31AM, the bloob wrote:

I don't think the penalty not being given changed the outcome, if it had been given and scored then I still think Arsenal would have won. The game changed completely when Leicester did score, they sat back and Arsenal got at them and won easily in the endI can see the point of view that Holding's arm was knocked into the ball, but you shouldn't really have your arms that high in the first place, it was a penalty

Your post has at least given a nod to what actually took place where many have taken it on face value. We all know, if seen on face value 19/20 Ref's would have given the pen. The other one would have bottled it or actually seen the head to arm to ball contacts. You say yourself that this is what took place so by inference, not intentional and therefore not a penalty.
As for his arm being up there ; there is no other way to get leverage to jump and BOTH players had one arm well above their shoulders and head. I agree it looks like a pen and most would be given in similar circumstances but by the book it is not a pen.

Report John.W.Henry. October 25, 2018 8:26 AM BST
The Prophet 24 Oct 18 18:13 Joined: 08 Dec 02 | Topic/replies: 529 | Blogger: The Prophet's blog
Oct 24, 2018 -- 8:30AM, John.W.Henry. wrote:

pixie 23 Oct 18 19:05 Joined: 24 May 02 | Topic/replies: 5,916 | Blogger: pixie's blogpixie • October 23, 2018 10:39 AM BSTOzil....I'd pay him more.Ridiculous statement. You don't have a sense of humour? And nobody on here has said that Ozil is anything like as consistently good as DB10 but that his performance last night was reminiscent of him. That is all.Rate reply: My apologies pixie.........I had simply 4gotton what a complete joker you really are

Not sure what your problem is JWH.....absolutely nothing wrong with pixie's statement.

I guess haters are gonna hate whatever...and you are a top hater.

I suppose my problem is i was born a realist. Not sure where you got hate from ?

I believe in evidence.

I look forward to the Liverpool game and then we may just see if the new messiah has arrived however I will need to see it reproduced week in week out to be convinced.

C.O.Y.G.
Report enpassant October 25, 2018 11:52 AM BST
If we happen to beat Liverpool there will likely be many a pundit saying they look tired.
Report pixie October 25, 2018 1:11 PM BST
#Not sure where you get the hate from'! Are you for real? The cold winter nights must just fly past in your pompous, happy, sweet company; perhaps it's the wrong time of the month for you.

The 'evidence' on the last couple of games is a lot brighter than we have seen for a long time, I hope it doesn't sadden you too much that me and other Arsenal fans are enjoying it and being cautiously optimistic for the future.

It would be nice for us to be able to write positive, constructive, viewpoints without some wet blanket attempting to twist what was being said by being deliberately obtuse and sneering.

Here's hoping to see the Gunners continue their progress tonight! It's not an easy tie, let's hope they appear to make it so.
Report enpassant October 25, 2018 5:29 PM BST
19Leno
    12Lichtsteiner
    5Papastathopoulos
    16Holding
    34Xhaka
    4Elneny
    29Guendouzi
    7Mkhitaryan
    8Ramsey
    23Welbeck
    14Aubameyang
Report Wesdag October 25, 2018 8:23 PM BST
Nice to see that the long overdue change at the top is having the desired effect.

Obviously, still very early days but it is undeniable that it has been a shot in the arm for players & fans alike.
Report the bloob October 25, 2018 8:51 PM BST
I think Guendouzi is going to be a superstar, I've not been this taken by a young midfielder since Vieira
Report enpassant October 25, 2018 8:52 PM BST
Sporting were horrible to watch. Throwing themselves to the ground etc.
Nice win on the road to nil and continue the winning run. Palace next.
Report jon b October 25, 2018 9:03 PM BST
Only their 2nd loss there in the last 37 games, other team was Barca
Report pixie October 25, 2018 11:52 PM BST
Good again, wasn't it?
Report Wesdag October 26, 2018 12:23 AM BST
Much better than watching the same film over and over again and hoping for a different ending.

All most ever wanted was a different film.
Report dambuster October 26, 2018 9:39 AM BST
very good performance last night, still don't understand what Zhaka brings to the party though !
Report John.W.Henry. October 26, 2018 10:40 AM BST
A win is a win is a win !!!

Chuffed to bits for DW23.. Defo one of our squad players who is hugely underrated. Deserved his goal and there was f*** all wrong with his headed goal either. Will be interesting to see if he is kept with a new contract. I really hope so as we have players who are paid far more who pick and choose when to turn up and play for the team.

#give DW23anewdeal.

As is the norm Pixie you get the wrong end of a quote. I want to see evidence that ozil can deliver in a big game and hopefully he will get the chance against Liverpool shortly. There can be no excuses now as he has shown he is in top form and fit so it is time to deliver the evidence.

On the plus side i have upped the level of banter Wink

C.O.Y.G.

Report the fink sisters October 26, 2018 2:15 PM BST
Encouraging run continues. Palace no gimme, but win that and we equal our number of away victories from last season. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
Report enpassant October 26, 2018 3:50 PM BST
I had a few bets on Palace games recently (and watched them)and though they played quite well away to Everton they looked very poor at home to Wolves; lacking any coherence or penetration. Still, they could raise their game but I think/hope Leicester will turn out to have been a tougher game.
Report enpassant October 28, 2018 12:38 PM GMT
Really hope Guendouzi has a stormer today and shows UE that GX is not the answer to who should be LT's midfiled partner.
Report dambuster October 28, 2018 2:23 PM GMT
Arsenal  5.3 after palace scored....TOO BIG.
Report enpassant October 28, 2018 2:24 PM GMT
1-0 ht SM throwing himself in when there was no need to do so. Palace did more in the 1st 15 mins today than they did in 90 mins at home to Wolves when they looked toothless. We will need another ht mega transformation to win this one.
Report enpassant October 28, 2018 2:47 PM GMT

Oct 28, 2018 -- 9:23AM, dambuster wrote:

Arsenal

Report enpassant October 28, 2018 2:48 PM GMT
:)
Report enpassant October 28, 2018 3:26 PM GMT
He was always going to give them another pen - it had that feel throughout the 2nd half.
Report John.W.Henry. October 29, 2018 11:53 AM GMT
Thats why you need to keep it real. We were poor yesterday ( yet we still got a point )  and its a shame Ozil didnt turn up as it was a chance to cement the foundation of his recent upturn in form. Sadly normal service was very quickly resumed.

To keep the reality in firm check he was far from being alone with his poor performance and perhaps it was just a bad day at the office !!!

Anything to add Pixie ?

Roll on the Liverpool game and hopefully we will all be up for that. No excuses
Report Johnny_Mustang October 29, 2018 11:59 AM GMT
Roll on the Liverpool game? That's like Turkeys looking forward to Christmas. We simply can't defend and they'll slice through us.
Report pixie October 29, 2018 2:04 PM GMT
I thought we were poor yesterday and Palace deserved to win, I love watching Zaha (despite the blatant dive and the histrionics every time a player goes near him). We were poor defensively again, something we still haven't improved enough on since Wenger left. Xhaka had a decent game at fullback despite conceding a soft penalty, Mustafi was dreadful, his 'tackle' for the penalty was pathetic, Lichtsteiner hardly covered himself in glory and ran around like a headless chicken but without the pace for the cringeworthy 45 minutes that he was on. Four shots from open play tells us it wasn't just about the defence and I'm not convinced Emery knows his best team yet. Disappointing but hardly surprising as we have played poorly for long periods in previous games before somehow clicking in the second half, we didn't flick the switch this time and if we play like that against Liverpool they will destroy us with their pace and organisation.
Report enpassant October 29, 2018 2:39 PM GMT
We played poorly- they played well above their previous form- they got 2 pens. Not so bad to get a draw from after all that.
If UE plays it cute we can beat Liverpool and it will be very interesting how he goes about it given he has much more knowledge of the players than he did v MC & Chels.

I am of the firm view (unlike some it seems) that the best result for us tonight is a MC win. A resounding win would be even better.
Report John.W.Henry. October 30, 2018 2:32 PM GMT
I wonder if the key is to use PEA14 as the super sub and bring him on at the 60 minute marker to replace AL9 or DW23 who would hopefully have run themselves into the ground pressing and closing down for an hour ???

That could be the answer for the Liverpool game.
Report John.W.Henry. October 30, 2018 2:33 PM GMT
However I dont have the answer for the defence
Report enpassant October 31, 2018 9:44 PM GMT
Welbeck had an opportunity tonight and failed miserably. His runs were poor and he seemed to have no knack or nous for where the ball may fall in the area. He works and runs but is just not good enough - no new contract imo.
Report John.W.Henry. November 1, 2018 7:40 AM GMT
Personally I think DW23 had his opportunity in the Lisbon game.. He took it
Report enpassant November 1, 2018 10:46 AM GMT
He is average at best and if we want to get back to anywhere near previous heights we need to move the likes of DW on and block the potential of our youngsters. There was an interesting discussion on the radio about RN's reason for going to Hoffenheim and you can't blame him.
Report enpassant November 1, 2018 10:50 AM GMT
*not block
Report Blackrock November 1, 2018 2:16 PM GMT
Don't think we can leave the defence unprotected as we have in several games this season, against Liverpool. Think 2 DM's for this game. Can't afford to let them hit us on the break.
Report enpassant November 1, 2018 5:39 PM GMT
We need our FB's fit for a start. Then obviously he will have LT&GX but the attacking side is less obvious. HM has been poor but is a very good player on his day. AR is a bench warmer from now on. So MO AL PEA AI are the more likely to get a slot with DW an outside chance for his workrate. No big surprises I suspect but would have liked MN in there beside LT but he is simply not ready (may find himself at LB if NM&TANK not fit)
Report Johnny_Mustang November 2, 2018 12:07 PM GMT
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46066676

Have we got our Arsenal back?
Report the fink sisters November 2, 2018 2:54 PM GMT
Huge test against Liverpool that will actually tell us where we are. The apparently hapless Wenger managed a 3-3 draw in the corresponding fixture last season so it will be interesting to see how this one goes.

Personally cannot see anything other than a Liverpool win myself but I am a perennial glass half-empty type.
Report dambuster November 2, 2018 3:57 PM GMT
over 16.5 goals imo Laugh
Report enpassant November 3, 2018 2:09 AM GMT

Nov 2, 2018 -- 7:07AM, Johnny_Mustang wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46066676Have we got our Arsenal back?

This means different things to different people but pundtits wants to suggest they know what it means to all Arsenal.

Report enpassant November 3, 2018 2:24 AM GMT

Nov 2, 2018 -- 9:54AM, the fink sisters wrote:

Huge test against Liverpool that will actually tell us where we are. The apparently hapless Wenger managed a 3-3 draw in the corresponding fixture last season so it will be interesting to see how this one goes.Personally cannot see anything other than a Liverpool win myself but I am a perennial glass half-empty type.

It could be anything tomorrow. The overwhelming feeling seems to be that we are eager to see how we cope with a big game and if our tactical set up is tweaked to make us a little more difficult to break down. We will learn so much about the team and manager tomorrow. If we set up exactly as we have been it is hard to see us not concede at least 2/3 goals; in which case winning will be unlikely.
The possibility of missing players may also have a huge impact on the result.
Again the pundtits suggest we ALL believe we can win the league which just doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all. They are so lazy in their supposed expert view it drives me mad.
I don't have faith in GX but would like to see him as 1 of a 3 with LT & MN to solidify the midfield and go like for like with what Pool tend to play. So a 433 with MO PEA AL as the attacking trio.

leno HB RH SM NM GX LT MN MO PEA AL

I'm not sure he will play AL&PEA but if he gave the team protection they would be a handlful for an attacking Liverpool team when we break on them.

Report John.W.Henry. November 3, 2018 10:33 AM GMT
Ok here goes...

Assuming all these players are fit and ready to start the game.

BL19

HB2
RH16
SM20
SK31

LT11
GX34

AR8

DW23
AI17

AL9

Start with the keeper. For me its a no brainer .. BL 19 has to start.

HB2 trained yesterday so if all ok he has to play

RH16 has done nothing wrong to he gets an automatic pick

SM wouldnt play for me if one of the greek boys were available but i dont expect them to be.

SK .Trained yesterday so if all is well in he goes.

LT11 and GX 34 have looked ok together so i will stick with them 2.

Now the controversial decisions....

I simply cannot trust MO in a game such as this. In a perfect world he should be number 1 on the teamsheet however I have seen him in this type of game too many times and he dissapoints regulary. I couldnt trust him however if he plays i hope i am wrong. AR8 the default replacement.

AI17 and DW23 will be assets in this potentially high tempo match. In they go.

AL9 just shades it as a starter over PEA14 due to his off the ball work rate. PEA14 gets on after an hour to grab the winner after the other 3 have run their respective legs off.

Thats how i would start this game.
Report enpassant November 3, 2018 4:56 PM GMT
Leno
2Bellerín
20Mustafi
16Holding
31Kolasinac
11Torreira
34Xhaka
7Mkhitaryan
10Özil
14Aubameyang
9Lacazette
Report Mr Eboue November 3, 2018 5:18 PM GMT
Kolasinac and Xhaka are the worries for me. The Liverpool attack will concentrate on Kolasinac because his defending is atrocious.

Think we could be hammered here lads.
Report John.W.Henry. November 3, 2018 5:24 PM GMT
Worried here
Report Wesdag November 3, 2018 5:27 PM GMT
Not a back line to inspire confidence.
Report enpassant November 3, 2018 7:32 PM GMT
Got to be said we give chances away but that aside the defending individually was superb. HB has shown me my early season doom about him is not the case now. The Tank had a very good game, particularly given his lay off. Now the 2 CH's I think were magnificent. Fantastically taken goal by Lacca, Iwobi again changed our game. As for MO imo he gave us real quality on the ball, worked hard and overall had a very solid game. This was our best performance overall and we clearly are on the right course. Great game.
Report enpassant November 3, 2018 7:46 PM GMT
I see MR SPUD is ref in their game v Wolves.
Report Mr Eboue November 4, 2018 11:48 AM GMT
Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how well we did. I don’t think Liverpool were at their best but neither were we.

Fair play to our defence who were fantastic. Yes we rode our luck at times but that shouldn’t mask what was a good defensive performance.

Not convinced that Mkhitaryan is the right player for us, he looks careless in possession. Iwobi made a massive difference when he came on.

Up the Arse.
Report the fink sisters November 5, 2018 2:12 PM GMT
Good game and a valuable point against a top side who have improved defensively since last season.

A lot of pluses from the game - GX gets a lot of flack on here, but I thought he was pretty good. Rob Holding also put in a decent shift. Quality finish for the equaliser.

There's another thread on here about the gap between the top sides and the rest, that I would agree with. I can't remember another season when we reached November and three teams were unbeaten.

Emery has instilled a fighting spirit that was lacking in the last couple of seasons though we still have some way to go. It's interesting to note that although we're winning a lot more matches against 'the rest', our results agains the traditional top 6 so far (admittedly with only three played and two of those the first games up) is pretty miserable and we are still outside the top 4. I think it's more competitive at the very top than it has ever been.
Report the fink sisters November 5, 2018 2:39 PM GMT
I see Reiss Nelson got another goal for Hoffenheim at the weekend.
Report enpassant November 5, 2018 3:23 PM GMT
We should reap the benefits of the experience he is getting over there (RN).

We were not great v City but should have beat Chelsea and were the better side at the weekend. So whereas the results are poor on the face of it we are on the right course without question.
GX - I do not think he has been good enough for some time. I have pointed out many times what has been wrong in his game so won't go in on him again here. He had a very good game overall v Liverpool and credit where it is due deserves to prove he can do that again and again.
I thought Holding was a standout at the back and it will be hard for Emery to drop him as he is going from strength to strength.
Still room for improvement which is probably the most encouraging thing of all as we are a far better unit than for some seasons already.
Report pixie November 5, 2018 3:41 PM GMT
Can only agree what's already been said: Xhaka probably had his best game in an Arsenal shirt, Holding should start every game now injuries or not, and the defence still needs working on - should have conceded two as there was nothing at all wrong with their goal ruled out. The intensity is higher and we didn't get outplayed by them like we have done in the recent past. There are signs of improvement, let's hope it continues.
Report the fink sisters November 5, 2018 3:46 PM GMT
Well put pixie and enpassant.....
Report dambuster November 5, 2018 4:09 PM GMT
I also think Iwobi should start ahead of Mikhytarian
Report the bloob November 5, 2018 9:36 PM GMT
the offside rule is very confusing, Mane was clearly offside when the ball was played through and ran towards the ball, surely that means he was active? Firmino was onside from the first ball and Mane was onside for the touch from Firmino but isn't the linesman entitled to put his flag up for the first ball and Mane?
Report enpassant November 5, 2018 10:07 PM GMT
I had a good look at the play after reading your post. I think you are right save the lino didn't put his flag up until Mane scored.
If he had put his flag up when he went for the through ball with Firminho, I don't think anyone would have been complaining about the decision ie he was offside, he attempted to go for the ball and in the majority of cases that would be enough for it to be given offside.
Report enpassant November 6, 2018 1:57 AM GMT
Having watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rztvqThNy64 it seems Mark Halsey called it as offside as soon as Mane went toward the ball.
Report enpassant November 6, 2018 1:58 AM GMT
ref ^ 45:20
Report enpassant November 8, 2018 10:04 PM GMT
Don't think anyone enhanced their starting prospects tonight. PEA, AR and Iwobi were not up to much Guendouzi was probably the best player.
Report the fink sisters November 9, 2018 12:03 PM GMT
Don't think we were that up for last night and things were made worse by the injury to DW. Still, good to have qualified with two to spare and, as I understand it, finishing top or second is immaterial to the draw which means we can play fully reserve sides in the remaining two fixtures and obviate the Thursday-Sunday turnaround impact that the Ropey League tends to bring.

Wolves will be an interesting test - they started off impressively and have now stalled but have quality and play good football. Hopefully we can get another win under our belts after a series of draws.
Report pixie November 9, 2018 12:08 PM GMT
Shame for poor old Welbeck. He has been unlucky, gets his career going and shows a bit of consistent form and then has a long time out with serious injury. I feel that might be the last time we seem him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

Boring game last night, Guendouzi looked good, he occasionally makes the wrong decision but if he improves as well as you'd expect a player to at his age, then he could turn out to  be something special.
Report the fink sisters November 9, 2018 12:57 PM GMT
Well put Pixie - I think you may be right about Welbeck. From the messages of support, he seems one of the good guys.
Report John.W.Henry. November 9, 2018 1:25 PM GMT
Ref DW23. Fellow pros know more than most about who earn their respective wages by putting in a shift everytime they put the shirt on. Defo one of the good guys. When one of my lads went to the training ground waited on the road out for some to maybe stop and give a selfie photo and sign a programme..... one of the only ones to stop was DW23. Totally level headed and a 100% giver.  Sad day, Hope he makes a full recovery
Report John.W.Henry. November 9, 2018 1:28 PM GMT
I think the level of support and the many words of respect and encouragement from his team mates only echo that.
Report the fink sisters November 9, 2018 1:53 PM GMT
...early reports suggest up to a year out. Depends on the nature of the break and the type of surgery required. I went over on my ankle 4 years ago - foot sticking out at an unnatural angle, dislocated and broken in three places - needed pins and scaffolding to get me back on my feet and I haven't played for the Gunners since Mischief
Report dambuster November 9, 2018 4:56 PM GMT
We miss you as well finkCool...
Yes Wellbeck tries hes heart out, a really nice guy by all accounts, lets hope he makes a full recovery and if it's not for us, i hope he does  well elsewhere.
Report enpassant November 11, 2018 12:44 PM GMT
Nelson scored again !
Report enpassant November 11, 2018 5:25 PM GMT
ht: Xhaka reverted back to type very quickly. It's quite amazing how many of his mistakes end with a goal against us. The up side of his game just does not make up for the down side imo. Iwobi too, giving the ball away a number of times and in danger of playing himself into a supersub role if he doesn't improve on his performances over the last week or so. It seems to be a rigid 442 thus far but PEA is just not in the game and though Lacca is dropping a little to pick the ball up we are not getting it to him in dangerous areas. Emery has a job on his hands again as this is probably the worst half we have had all season.
Report the fink sisters November 12, 2018 12:42 PM GMT
Is it me or is it really quiet on here...

On paper, a disappointing result though you have to say that Wolves were unlucky not to take all three points and looked a good side.

Defence is still a huge concern. Holding has been solid since he came in but was absolutely skinned a couple of times yesterday. At times, it looked as though we were watching the Arsenal team from the last couple of seasons - pouring forward naively towards the end and leaving themselves badly exposed at the back.
Report dambuster November 12, 2018 2:02 PM GMT
the defence has been horrendous for years, what is Bould doing ?
Report enpassant November 12, 2018 6:34 PM GMT
Too many had individually poor games and there are some in the side that are simply not good enough. Hoping that Emery realises he needs to find someone, in the squad as it is, to improve upon Xhaka. Torriera cost less than him and he is a better tackler, passer, more mobile, faster and disciplined. It begs the question why are we persevering with Xhaka ? How far down the league table would you need to go before you find a team he would absolutely get in ? Bournemouth are 6th and Watford 7th so maybe he could get in there but none of the ones above us and maybe a few below us.
Niles needs to be given his head imo but in the Xhaka position certainly not LB. We would be super-charged energy and mobility wise in midfield with him and Torriera in there.
Report Whisperingdeath November 12, 2018 6:54 PM GMT
...early reports suggest up to a year out. Depends on the nature of the break and the type of surgery required. I went over on my ankle 4 years ago - foot sticking out at an unnatural angle, dislocated and broken in three places - needed pins and scaffolding to get me back on my feet and I haven't played for the Gunners since Mischief

I announced my retirement from international Football on the same day as Paul Merson announced his. He had not played for England for months if not years and was never likely to play again! So I announced my retirement too. I am still available to play International Cricket and Rugby for England if the call comes! I ashley retain hope of representing my country in an age group. Enough people will die eventually to put me in the frame I am sure!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now