Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 2 people viewing this thread.
leazes67
14 Jun 18 11:23
| Topic/replies: 76,890 | Blogger: leazes67's blog
I really hope this world cup is a success but i think with the introduction of VAR this will kill the excitement of the game with decisions awarding and disallowing goals on the evidence of VAR.Imagine as an example Agueros goal for City with last kick of the game being disallowed for whatever reason,it may be perfectly correct to overrule the goal but the players and fans are going to look pretty silly when they realise they've just lost the title.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View VAR World cup carnage..
Show More
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 11:42 AM BST
linos told to keep flag down on tight calls

let the fun begin ...
Report anxious June 14, 2018 11:51 AM BST
Best thing to do with this lot is watch the first few games , could be a shambles
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 11:54 AM BST
the var refs are in full refs kit

got to be a job for john terry ....
Report CONER June 14, 2018 11:55 AM BST
Going to be a lot of unhappy betfair traders,if they start voiding bets after the game is over.just imagine trading for 10-15 mins, then they void a bet from 20 mins ago.Crazy.
Report anxious June 14, 2018 12:03 PM BST
What about the card markets, they are now saying a red card could be given at half time on VAR, this would completely mess up the card market, i always thought a player had to be on the field of play for card to be included in total card count ?
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 12:05 PM BST
red cards at half time and after the game have always caused chaos
and sparked debate as to being included in totals
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 12:05 PM BST
indeed red cards in warm up ....
Report Rider June 14, 2018 12:10 PM BST
voiding bets seems to contradict the caveat emptor mantra, so thats a worry, also closing markets in which goals have been voided is another concern

as for the linesmen being told not to flag close calls this is correct (GIVEN we are going to use VAR) as otherwise you will have a heavy bias in favour in the defending team and hence fewer goals, to be fair it has to work both ways, up to now it hasnt
Report leazes67 June 14, 2018 12:11 PM BST
Just hope the best team wins in the end.
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 12:14 PM BST
how close is a close call....

its bad enough linesmen not flagging as soon as an offside player goes for the ball
without now worrying if it was only close

what happens if hes offside but no flag, then ball is cleared and played back in,
then a goal is scored in phase 3 or 4... do they go all the way back to check on
the non flag?

and if so, how far back will they be allowed to go?
Report leazes67 June 14, 2018 12:17 PM BST
This Donny^^^^a recipe for disaster.
Report Rider June 14, 2018 12:21 PM BST
currently if a player looks level the flag goes up because the linesman doesnt want a goal to be scored and it was fractionally offside so i think thats what they mean, its never going to be perfect and will cause a lot of controversy i'm sure
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 12:22 PM BST
would be nice if we knew anyway

or will they make it up according to the team it suits?

would be nice if lino had a buzzer, and it showed as a red light on tv screen, and stadium scoreboard,
if he has a query..
Report Rider June 14, 2018 12:22 PM BST
every goal will be forensically analysed, they seem to go back several potential offsides in the build up as well an any possible infringements
Report mesmerised June 14, 2018 12:33 PM BST
Betfair should forget reviewed decisions altogether, just stick with original decision and keep it simple for everyone Cool
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 12:35 PM BST
should get some markets up around var so folk can book some insurance
Report ian merseyside June 14, 2018 12:37 PM BST
as for the linesmen being told not to flag close calls this is correct (GIVEN we are going to use VAR) as otherwise you will have a heavy bias in favour in the defending team and hence fewer goals, to be fair it has to work both ways, up to now it hasnt

This would be a good idea if it's implemented.  Apart from the instances of giving penalties not originally spotted by the ref, the whole VAR thing is generally a way of disallowing "goals", i.e. VAR ref spots an offside or a foul earlier in the play.  This will even things out.  One thing I'm not sure about is will fans in the stadiums be aware of when a VAR is taking place?  The lack of information for the fans has been one of the main faults in the VAR trial during some FA Cup matches.  Hopefully FIFA have sorted this.
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 12:41 PM BST
in most sports using var, ref is miked up to tv

so its easy to see
Report morpteh mackem June 14, 2018 12:52 PM BST
you're either offside of you're not ( you cant be slightly pregnant, you either are or not ) , it's ridiculous and will cause massive problems- millingtons article in todays rp sums it up.

i agree with mesmerised ( for once ) Grin
Report Rider June 14, 2018 1:11 PM BST
you're either offside of you're not

before it was an opinion now its an opinion aided by technology,

if you stop play for offside when a striker is through 1 on 1 with the goalie and afterwards find he was actually onside there is a high chance the linesmans mistake has just ruled a goal out, this way that goal can stand or be overruled by VAR, it makes perfect sense (GIVEN we are using VAR), which is why collina is highly respected and millington is just seen as clueless
Report Rider June 14, 2018 1:14 PM BST
most people including myself would rather not have VAR and its going to be a big talking point, but GIVEN we have it then at least make it as fair to the striker as the defender
Report morpteh mackem June 14, 2018 1:36 PM BST
my point is though where is the cut off with marginal offside. what is the definition of 'marginal ' ?  one mans 'benefit of the doubt ' is another mans 'mile offside ' .
Report donny osmond June 14, 2018 1:37 PM BST
marginal must mean, no offside is given when player is not offside

on pain of 2 weeks in the gulags ...Mischief
Report morpteh mackem June 14, 2018 1:38 PM BST
Grin
Report johnnythebull June 14, 2018 2:44 PM BST
seen it used in Serie A and Bundesliga and NOT impressed

certain things do NOT necessarily improve for 'technology'

funny how football results have stood as a matter of record b4 this b0llocks

just let the c*nts play

mistakes happen..we're all human..we get over them
Report ian merseyside June 14, 2018 3:03 PM BST
I totally agree Johnny but as someone said recently...the VAR genie is now out of the bottle.  The problem is that it will get worse as time goes on. Within a few years we will probably have tactical challenges (like cricket) and reviews for throw ins and all yellow cards.  I was all for the quick and simple goal line technology but once that was brought in (and everyone was saying at the time that no other technology would be introduced) the rest was inevitable.  What we have now is that the joy and emotion (for both players and fans) has been taken away because most goals will not be awarded until after the VAR process.  Just watch Rugby League, the biggest cheer is not when a try is touched down but when the "TRY" or "NO TRY" comes up on the scoreboard.
Report grumpyjim June 14, 2018 3:23 PM BST
only see one referee making a decision .. end of   ..... VAR ..  this   WORLD   .......level put under needless stress     as an official ..  ..no whistle in his hand .. ??  may as well stick it somewhere ??
REFEREE  .......  calls it wrong .. only human ..  NOW MANY MAKE DECISION .. PRETTY TOUGH JOB  A REF HAS AS IT IS ..   THEY USED TO BE VERY HARD NECKED     ..   OFFICIALS  ..STOOD BY THE GOOD BAD And UGLY .  ..  Bring it on ........  soon   .......... JURY ..   will make a decision ..      FANS  .. ... GOAL LINE SEEMS OVER THE WORST ..  ..// WAS    a bad decision often at high level ..   VAR ...IS SO MUCH MORE INVOLVED ...  ..  time factor is  worst .. AREA TO OVERCOME ..   ..   ALWAYS GONE WITH DECISIONS FOR 60 YEARS .. AND IT WORKED ..  Bring it on . ??
Report johnnythebull June 14, 2018 3:24 PM BST
Ian Wright Wright just said the same thing about scoring and celebrating a goal..'is it a goal?'

not much we can do about it..i m..we're mere hostages to fortune

the one thing about football was it's a flowing game

less so now,with cynical play acting trying to influence the ref but still

this is what makes it stand out from other sports
Report donny osmond June 15, 2018 11:23 AM BST
russias 4th goal was offside,

not ruled out

hey ho
Report grumpyjim June 15, 2018 2:33 PM BST
found something else to do at 3..0     poor game .. first VAR  mistake if you are correct donny .  never saw it but no surprise .
Report leazes67 June 15, 2018 7:24 PM BST
Nearly.
Report donny osmond June 15, 2018 8:02 PM BST
a couple of reviews in spain portugal, no change, quite right too
Report leazes67 June 15, 2018 8:14 PM BST
Yeah..working well up to now.
Report ashleigh June 16, 2018 12:14 PM BST
big mistake.Cry
Report ProSniper June 16, 2018 1:50 PM BST
Proof that VAR will never be 100% satisfactory..

for there will always be big mouth muppet pundits(with glaringly obvious agendas) who will state how "WRONG" a decision is even after the Pros have used it to make their call. Take the moronic Lawro for example, who said "the ref can't give that unless he's 100% certain" Now, unless Lawro has the ability to mirror a specific mind, how much of a stupid bastard of a thing is that to say? The whole point of VAR is to help the refs(the Pros) make the right(unbiased) decision after being presented with all the facts. To slam a VAR decision only questions the professionalism and integrity of the Pros who are paid to make these decisions. Why even bother having refs at all? why not just leave it up to the players to decide. Or let biased pigs like Lawro/P Neville decide what the "correct" decisions are..
Report donny osmond June 16, 2018 1:51 PM BST
var gets it right in france v australia

correctly giving pen , and confirming aussie pen

goal line review gets instant call on a goal that was almost impossible to spot without it
Report donny osmond June 16, 2018 1:55 PM BST
there was quite a delay between the penalty incident with griezman and the ball
going out of play so a review could be held

some shrewdies might have got on
Report Poppydog. June 16, 2018 2:57 PM BST
It's a revelation. Seems much more efficient than the UK shenanigans in the past season.
Report Angela Rebecchi June 16, 2018 3:25 PM BST

Jun 16, 2018 -- 1:55PM, donny osmond wrote:

there was quite a delay between the penalty incident with griezman and the ballgoing out of play so a review could be heldsome shrewdies might have got on

Money between those two times is voided. The big question is, what if the next time the ball is out of play is because Australia had scored? They have there goal scrapped and a penalty awarded against?! Lol, could be huge huge controversy incoming at some stage.

Report donny osmond June 16, 2018 3:26 PM BST
yeah, ...but was it voided ?
Report Angela Rebecchi June 16, 2018 3:29 PM BST
I believe it was. Though I am concerned that it might not be consistent and some people are going to get stung. Especially considering they can make amendments days later.
Report donny osmond June 16, 2018 3:31 PM BST
ta
Report Outpost June 16, 2018 3:38 PM BST
VAR is a complete mess.

there is no place in football for this rubbish. 

games are held up so that someone else can give his opinion on an incident which has already been ruled on so basically it's just one man's opinion against anothers.

we seen in the spain v portugal match that 2 dives by ronaldo led to 2 goals, but instead of using VAR to penalise divers, they instead reward them with free kicks and penalties.

TV pundits have been condoning diving for many years so anything they say on the subject is hardly worth listening to.
Report donny osmond June 16, 2018 4:06 PM BST
penalty given in argentina v iceland"..clattenberg thinks it might have been overturned on review

one not given, looked like contact, and seemingly not reviewed ...

var team not had a great second half here, ...perhaps
Report roache June 16, 2018 4:26 PM BST
Both Argies penalty decisions were wrong as the penalty given should not have been given as both players simply came together then the non penalty should have been a penalty as the player was fouled but very difficult for the ref to spot that and should have been referred to VAR especially with complaints from the Argies about this non penalty decision, this 2nd incident needs some explaining as to why VAR did not get involved,if it was because there was no clear and obvious error then fair enough but if that is the case then VAR should not be getting involved in the vast majority of incidents.
Report donny osmond June 17, 2018 8:19 PM BST
switzerland equalise with a header from corner after defender is eased out of way by push

no var

lee dixon thinks pushing is part of the game, clattenberg thinks it should have been reviwed and not stand
Report leazes67 June 17, 2018 8:22 PM BST
Would it have been a penalty if the defender had done the same?don't think so.
Report donny osmond June 17, 2018 8:33 PM BST
there you go leazes, a bit of grappling in swiss box sees a fall of a brazilian, no pelanty , no referee review.
Report lewisham ranger June 18, 2018 12:36 AM BST
VAR is the worst thing ever to happen to football agreed
Report lewisham ranger June 18, 2018 12:39 AM BST
ian merseyside 14 Jun 18 15:03 Joined: 08 Jul 06 | Topic/replies: 1,143 | Blogger: ian merseyside's blog
I totally agree Johnny but as someone said recently...the VAR genie is now out of the bottle.  The problem is that it will get worse as time goes on. Within a few years we will probably have tactical challenges (like cricket) and reviews for throw ins and all yellow cards.  I was all for the quick and simple goal line technology but once that was brought in (and everyone was saying at the time that no other technology would be introduced) the rest was inevitable.  What we have now is that the joy and emotion (for both players and fans) has been taken away because most goals will not be awarded until after the VAR process.  Just watch Rugby League, the biggest cheer is not when a try is touched down but when the "TRY" or "NO TRY" comes up on the scoreboard.

couldn't agree more with this VAR is a joke
Report berto77 June 18, 2018 8:01 AM BST
I don’t think VAR will really work in football for various reasons but it’s worth trialling (just not at a world cup). It hasn’t been a disaster so far but has it actually improved the decions.  The French penalty is still debatable, as was both the Argentinian penalty calls and the Swiss goal.  It’s all just so subjective.  I’m sure at some point it will overturn a real howler but I’m not sure it’s worth the cost to the game in terms of spontaneity by introducing doubt that every major decision will be overturned.
Report ian merseyside June 18, 2018 3:10 PM BST
Very cynical but S.Korea would have got away with the penalty today if they had kicked the ball out for a throw-in to get the game re-started as quickly as possible.  That way it would then be too late for a review.  Yet another VAR anomaly that players will eventually cotton on to.
Report Rider June 18, 2018 3:14 PM BST
but wouldnt the swedes have just taken ages of the throw in and the VAR team have told the ref they were taking a look
Report ian merseyside June 18, 2018 3:21 PM BST
Probably true Rider.  If they were really clever though, and skilful, they could have kicked the ball into touch via a Sweden player then taken the quick throw-in! Cool  As someone on ITV just said, the ref should really have been brave enough to give the penalty himself.
Report donny osmond June 18, 2018 3:21 PM BST
odd that he stopped play too, instead of waiting for a break in play

not sure how he would have restarted play had he decided not to award pelanty

drop ball?
Report ian merseyside June 18, 2018 3:27 PM BST
I don't like VAR but I still think that it would be better if the VAR team could just tell the ref what they have decided (like in cricket) rather than have him run to the side of the pitch and start watching the replays.
Report leazes67 June 18, 2018 3:28 PM BST
Need to re-introduce free kicks inside the box.
Report Rider June 18, 2018 3:30 PM BST
yes poor refereeing not to give it the first time
Report leazes67 June 18, 2018 8:22 PM BST
Working well i see.
Report roache June 18, 2018 9:52 PM BST
When the ref goes trotting over to the VAR review screen you just know what the end result is going to be as the VAR chaps will have instructed the ref that he's made a pigs ear of his decision and go and have a 2nd look then come back and agree with us as which ref is going to have the bottle to say i have had a 2nd look and you 3 numpties are wrong and i was right 1st time so we will play on from where i stopped the game.
In other words lets cut the Crap out.
Report berto77 June 19, 2018 8:05 AM BST
Genuine question.  Can anyone explain how the VAR looks at the wrestling of Kane and doesn’t tell the ref to look at the screen.  They’re the clearest fouls you’ll see.

Maybe they’ve been quietly instructed not to look at pushing and shoving in the box (like the Swiss goal) as they’d be reviewing incidents every five minutes.
Report GAZO June 19, 2018 9:33 AM BST
the kane ones were clear penalties but if you look in front of him for the one john stones clearly pushes a defender out of the way,so which one do you give and you can probally see two or more fouls on every corner
Report stu June 19, 2018 9:51 AM BST
VAR saved my b0llox yesterday - I was so far deep in Sweden win and without VAR that useless ref would have done me very undeservedly - so I am saying good on VAR for getting the right decision (in that one at least)!
Report donny osmond June 19, 2018 11:48 AM BST
we know how var operates in cricket and rugby

the rules for football seem to be make it up as you go along

without laws set out in advance it looks a bit farcical, and unfair

brazil have seemingly lodged a complaint about the goal scored against them, perhaps when
a reply is given it might clear up a few things.

the first wrestling throw of kane could be written off as ref playing an advantage i suppose but second one?

given the pelanty he gave in the game it doesnt look to stack up as being fair.
Report 1st time poster June 19, 2018 12:03 PM BST
I don't want to see pens given for incicents such as the kane ones, in both cases other English players won headers, in theory you could have teams working on set pieces, winning headers at near post/far post and getting pens for holding on the other side of the box where they had no intention of playing the ball, if a team broke quickly from a set piece and were 50 yds up field would you expect var to give pens for players having handbags pushing grappling in the backwash of a set piece, anyone remember the celtic/ juve game where lichlieter was at it all game under the strict interpretation of var you could have had 10 pens
Report morpteh mackem June 19, 2018 12:24 PM BST
the first kane one yesterday didnt even require var, was right in front of ref.
Report 1st time poster June 19, 2018 12:27 PM BST
is it a pen ,if the player your aiming at wins the header such as stones did for the goal,but theres pushing shoving going on between players where the ball hasn't reached,or gone beyond
Report roache June 19, 2018 12:56 PM BST
The sooner more pens are given in these situations the sooner the defenders will stop wrestling with attackers as all the attacker wants to do is try and score a goal and has no interest in fouling a defender in 95% of cases whereas the defenders mindset is different its to stop or foul the attacker and get away with it and the more the authorities turn a blind eye to it the more often it will happen.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now