Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
bobweenit
12 Jun 18 20:50
| Topic/replies: 58,361 | Blogger: bobweenit's blog
I have an acquaintance on the forums called GRANTCKING and he says he has always called it soccer?  Am I the only one to think that is a Yank think and anyone who uses that term over here you need to tread VERY LIGHTLY around them and don't drop the soap if you know what I mean Wink

GRANTCKING • June 12, 2018 8:37 PM BST

I always called it soccer!
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View IS IT ACCEPTABLE TO CALL FOOTBALL...
Show More
Report euro_anchor June 12, 2018 8:56 PM BST
Judging by "Soccer Aid" I would say it is, can't understand why it isn't called football aid, unless we've been transported to USA and I'm unaware of it.
Report bobweenit June 12, 2018 9:05 PM BST
Can we base our opinion on a charity football match when the charity is US based ?
Report bobweenit June 12, 2018 9:06 PM BST
don't think so
Report anxious June 12, 2018 9:09 PM BST
Abberdonia trust him , i think he is trump fan as well i think Plain
Report GRANTCKING June 12, 2018 9:11 PM BST
Laugh have just seen this thread, bob u missed the fact when I say soccer im ripping the piss!
Report bobweenit June 12, 2018 9:14 PM BST
Oh my he is trying to back out now boys Blush
Report brassneck June 12, 2018 9:28 PM BST
it was the english that invented the game and they(and only they)can call it what ever they want.So its the english who named it soccer ,and in my opinion they are entitled to call it soccer if they want to.
the yanks just add the word ball to it.so "are you all looking forward to the world cup soccerball"Laugh
Report bobweenit June 12, 2018 9:30 PM BST
GRANTCKING • June 12, 2018 9:24 PM BST

I reckon he will be on the bench every game myself, I dont follow soccerball much anymore tho
Report anxious June 12, 2018 9:33 PM BST
Soccerball ffs abberdonia Crazy
Report GRANTCKING June 12, 2018 9:39 PM BST
anxious did u see we chinned u at cricket a few days ago!!
Report anxious June 12, 2018 9:44 PM BST
8-1 wasnt it , were you on Wink
Report bobweenit June 12, 2018 9:52 PM BST
Grant backed England at 1/14 in a acca and chinnedhimself
Report bobweenit June 12, 2018 9:53 PM BST
Cry
Report GRANTCKING June 12, 2018 9:59 PM BST
LaughLaugh
Report anxious June 12, 2018 10:01 PM BST
Oh no you missed that one Braveheart Laugh
Report tobermory June 12, 2018 11:16 PM BST
'Soccer' is an abbreviation of the correct name of the sport 'Association Football'. 'Football', in this context, is therefore also an abbreviation.

So both words are equally valid or invalid, depending on how you feel about shortening words generally.

The people who created the sport discussed on this forum certainly did not imagine they had invented football, and would have found it bizarre that people today dispute that the NFL is football.
Report mesmerised June 12, 2018 11:29 PM BST
NFL played mostly with hands.
Football played mostly with feet.

Regardless of origins and what a few people who drew up the rules in the pub thought in the 1800's. We all know what makes sense. Time they adapted and evolved as we did, acknowledge the vast majority of the world call it football for good reason, and change NFL to something more relevant. They can't win the football battle, Kind Regards.
Report donny osmond June 12, 2018 11:30 PM BST
football came before association football shirley
Report tobermory June 12, 2018 11:39 PM BST
Indeed Donny. Most people seem to imagine that what we call football was invented, and then a bunch of other sports that came after stole the name.

Football was recognized as a game played by all kinds of different rules, and when one school or village went to visit another for a game they would have to play by the home teams preferred rules.

'Association Football' was an agreement of certain teams to only play the laws the Football Association had agreed. It didn't mean they thought other games were not football.

'Rugby Football' is also football. Played by the laws of Rugby School. American Football developed from that.
Report mesmerised June 12, 2018 11:41 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bijbRKgC4WI
Report Platini June 13, 2018 1:57 AM BST
The Yanks are a weird lot. Not only do they talk about soccerball, but they go on about the "ball game" and expect you to know that they're not referring to footBALL, American FootBALL, or basketBALL Laugh
Report kincsem June 13, 2018 5:23 PM BST
Soccer is the term used in countries with other forms of football.
In Ireland it is soccer, which helps to distinguish it from Gaelic football, and rugby football.
Of course the correct term for Gaelic football is bogball.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now