Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tobermory
10 Jun 18 19:13
| Topic/replies: 26,834 | Blogger: tobermory's blog
“To be a black pundit you either need to be a comedian like Chris Kamara or Ian Wright – guys who have big pearly-white smiles and everyone loves laughing at – or Jermaine Jenas and Alex Scott, who are completely inoffensive,” he says. “What you’re not allowed to do is call out the status quo, which is what I do.

“Opportunities have been denied to me and it’s got nothing to with what happened with Ulrika Jonsson because I’ve worked since then. No, it’s because I’ve become increasingly outspoken and that’s not allowed in this country if you’re not white.

“It’s not just me who is affected – look at that Sky Sports show Sunday Supplement; there are never any journalists from a BAME background on there; every week it’s a panel of all white men. That can’t be right.”
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Stan Collymore explains why he can't...
Show More
Report donny osmond June 10, 2018 7:16 PM BST
ulrika ka ka ka
Report tobermory June 10, 2018 7:17 PM BST
Also why Sol Campbell can't get a manager job..

“Black people are deemed good athletes but not good leaders,” says Collymore. “They’re not trusted to lead by the status quo, which is made up of white men, and this is particularly the case if they speak they mind, like myself and Sol. The thing white men hate most, that they’re scared of most, is outspoken black men.

“The acceptable face of BAME managers is Chris Hughton. I have no doubt Chris has strong views on race and expresses them behind the scenes, but he knows that to progress in life he can’t do so in public; he has to shut up and get on with it. That’s not a criticism of Chris – it’s how most people from ethnic backgrounds behave.”
Report Crisp77 June 10, 2018 7:20 PM BST
Stan is right. Not one of the top pundits has a Brummie accent. Time to interview BRUMMIE candidates.
Report onlooker June 10, 2018 7:31 PM BST
If Stan thinks that the thick, gobby, nobody Crooks on the politically correct quotas bloody BBC is a role model for his crusade ...  then no wonder nobody is interested in his opinions.
Report If Dolphins Were Monkeys June 10, 2018 7:33 PM BST
Stan Collymore
‏Verified account @StanCollymore
4h4 hours ago

Stan Collymore Retweeted Ian Wright

Black man who works for The overtly racist  S** and uses "chip on your shoulder" without any irony.

You know what you are Ian, and always have been, which is why only you are employed by every British broadcaster.

The epitome of a Tom.

Shocked
Report If Dolphins Were Monkeys June 10, 2018 7:34 PM BST
*C'nt
Report tobermory June 10, 2018 7:36 PM BST
ScaredShockedScared oh Wow
Report stewarts rise June 10, 2018 7:40 PM BST
Perhaps the powers that be don't want to upset, Ulrika, Kirsty,Sara, Davina etc, any of his exes, any of his dogging friends or any football fans who remember him walking out of Villa, Leicester, Oviedo etc.
Report themover June 10, 2018 7:49 PM BST
Should apply for a managerial job at one of the African Nations at this years World Cup they're always black...oh wait
Report n88uk June 10, 2018 9:04 PM BST
There will be a degree of truth in what he says.

Even though I don't watch Sunday Supplement they have definitely had people of Asian background (Lieu) on there in past as I've seen clips on Twitter. I imagine it's more a reflection of who is in those jobs in first place with the papers. How many of the head football writers for papers are white men? Off the top of my head feels like all of them.

The other issue is despite what Stan says he will be tainted by the Ulrika Jonsson scandal, he's not overly popular because of this, he can deny it, but I don't buy it. What gigs has he really had other than Talksport, and Talksport have hired lots of people with iffy backgrounds, eg. they hired Keys and Gray pretty much straight after their sexism scandal saw them sacked from Sky.
Report n88uk June 10, 2018 9:05 PM BST
Newspaper journalism generally in this country is very outdated, so no surprise that it's dominated by white men. It's very clique, with mostly people who have been in their gigs for 20+ years.
Report woundedknee June 10, 2018 9:17 PM BST
he aint even black... hes half caste
Report Solano1 June 10, 2018 9:28 PM BST
Stan knows.
Report DIE LINKE June 10, 2018 9:28 PM BST
Didn't even know Steve Harkness was on Betfair!
Report rommel June 10, 2018 9:52 PM BST
sorry stan but sunday supp is for journos,tho if a lump like custis with a tongue which reaches to the highest floors of the lowery gets on it-you may have a point
Report mesmerised June 10, 2018 10:20 PM BST
Poor ol' Stan, nobody in the mainstream will give this woman beater a job so he joins the rest of the outcasts and loonies on Russia Today with a lower profile, lesser salary and minimal viewership, looks on at enviously at more successful black men highly thought off in the western sports media and lashes out because his attention seeking opinions wont be broadcast to an audience as big as theirs, he is the sell out for attacking them.

Garth Crooks has been putting his head above the parapet on the stuffy BBC for years, Ian Wright and Chris Kamara are humourous, add value to the show they're on and have opinions that carry weight having been ex-pro's, the BBC is paid for by license fee money, that means Wright's employers are black, white and Asian, Chris Kamara is being paid very generously by a Company owned by a white man to go to football matches and give his opinion, I know which one of those two have got the better end of the deal as does all of the other black and white pundits.

Collymore is just bitter he's not on the football gravytrain that black and white men have both been riding for years, once RT get bored of him they'll be no where else for him to go now he's gone and frivolously played the race card so hard for his own personal gain, which by the way, does a massive disservice to people of colour that genuinely suffer from real race abuse. I thought him using mental health as an excuse for beating Ulrika was low, he's goes and outdoes himself.

Unfortunately for Stan, he's whole psyche is built around the need to be on a crusade to retain relevance not just in the public eye but for himself. Personally I thought he was a poor Radio broadcaster anyway, whenever somebody came on Talksport to have their say, he would literally waffle for as long as possible before Mark Saggers had to interject to left the guest have their say, the guest would get 10 seconds max before Stan cut over them to contest a points ffs, had to switch off. Ten a penny rent a gob who has built up an image of off the back of being hard done by and a supporter of the little man, truth is he is lucky to be anywhere near any studio given his past.

Kind Regards.
Report Capt__F June 10, 2018 11:02 PM BST
think mes sums it upwell

should think the same re Wheel Chair
Report Hamsterdam June 10, 2018 11:35 PM BST
He has a point, how many black CEO's do you know?
Report stickyvicky June 10, 2018 11:41 PM BST
How many CEO's full stop, do you know ?
Report thelatarps June 10, 2018 11:49 PM BST
Mes is right, Collymore was a rotten radio pundit.
To be fair, Wrighty isnt much better. He gets wheeled out for england games because he is ultra patriotic and 'fans' can relate to his frustration after the inevitable defeat on penalties.
What I want from a pundit is insight and opinion.
Most on uk tv offer precious little of either. Black or white, red or blue.
Report ian merseyside June 11, 2018 1:19 AM BST
There will be a degree of truth in what he says.

Even though I don't watch Sunday Supplement they have definitely had people of Asian background (Lieu) on there in past as I've seen clips on Twitter. I imagine it's more a reflection of who is in those jobs in first place with the papers. How many of the head football writers for papers are white men? Off the top of my head feels like all of them.

The other issue is despite what Stan says he will be tainted by the Ulrika Jonsson scandal, he's not overly popular because of this, he can deny it, but I don't buy it. What gigs has he really had other than Talksport, and Talksport have hired lots of people with iffy backgrounds, eg. they hired Keys and Gray pretty much straight after their sexism scandal saw them sacked from Sky.

Darren Lewis has been on Sunday Supp a few times recently.  He is well worth listening to.  I think the main reason for Stan's lack of gigs is the Ulrika incident, simple as that.
Report ffaith June 11, 2018 10:11 AM BST
Going by Collymoore's reasoning I would say Darren Lewis falls into the 'completely inoffensive' category.

He is also a lackey for the WHU board.

Most damning of all I believe like Andy Goldstein of talksport he is a Cockney Red.  Such people(esp. those of a certain age)lack intregrity IMO.

Still I digress. About Collymoore fwiw l
think
1.  He may have a point.  Certainly worth
    a debate/exposure.
2.  He is a self-serving prick.
3.  To give him his due for an ex-
    footballer l thought he had promise as
    a broadcaster.  Raw with rough edges
    but better than say the likes of Jason
    Cundy.
Report TheBaron June 11, 2018 10:45 AM BST
Its very difficult to say this why a pundit got the job when the vast majority are a waste of space and that includes Collymore.
Report If Dolphins Were Monkeys June 11, 2018 11:00 AM BST
What thelatarps said 23.49.

Never pay attention to any of em, especially the journos... generally as bad us lot on 'ere for an agenda led narrative.

Must say i've a soft spot for Merson though... anyone who admits he's literally 'got his house' on a side winning the game he's covering for Sky on a Saturday afternoon deserves his place on the gravy train Silly #skininthegame
Report anxious June 11, 2018 11:09 AM BST
When Merson had his drink/drugs problems i think i remembering saying he used have 5 grand bets on the dogs in the afternoon Plain
Report rommel June 11, 2018 11:15 AM BST
didnt he used to have a gulp,snort a line and yep have a grand or 3 on anything that was going/dogs nags netball darts....kicker tho when he cameoff  all the sh** his wife said she was leaving cos he was a boring fckr sober
Report portmanpark June 11, 2018 11:15 AM BST
Its his  accent is the reasons he cant get a job.Its  bloody awful.
Report anxious June 11, 2018 11:26 AM BST
yep rommel 5 grand bets on the bags meetings in the afternoon, after a line or two and a few sherberts he was into Perry Bar and Crayford , i mean for a quid you can watch it live now Shocked
Report rommel June 11, 2018 11:31 AM BST
anx watch all the greys free on hills site
Report rommel June 11, 2018 11:32 AM BST
http://www.bettingshop.tv/shop/index.php?stream=bettingshop
Report anxious June 11, 2018 11:36 AM BST
nice one rommel
Report DIE LINKE June 11, 2018 11:37 AM BST
He's right about Kamara and Wright, the experts have their say, then these two clowns are brought on so everyone can have a good laugh at how clueless they are.
Report DirkDiggler June 11, 2018 12:18 PM BST
I just wish all football pundits and commentators would just disapear entirely.
Report TheBaron June 11, 2018 12:55 PM BST
Collymore is a bit of a dick who happens to be mixed race.  One of those is the reason no one gives him a job.
Report ian merseyside June 11, 2018 12:57 PM BST
When Merson had his drink/drugs problems i think i remembering saying he used have 5 grand bets on the dogs in the afternoon.

I assume he wasn't using on-line bookies.  I struggle to get 5p bets on, never mind £5k! Laugh
Report Slicer June 11, 2018 1:38 PM BST
I look forward to TRUE diversity. A black, disabled, transgender, lesbian, Muslim pundit is what is needed If he, she or it knows nothing about football- even better!
Report Slicer June 11, 2018 1:42 PM BST
btw Does anyone remember the caller who phoned Talk Sprot and said "Is that Call Cauliflower" and got cut off immediately?
Report mesmerised June 11, 2018 1:43 PM BST
No but I remember the caller who phoned up and said something like "he hit that ball almost as hard as you hit Ulrika"
Report 1st time poster June 11, 2018 2:32 PM BST
Darren lewis was sky sports,sunday supp,sky news go to man for breaking sports stories, I assume if he,s not on tv as much its through his choice
Report 1st time poster June 11, 2018 3:07 PM BST
A BLACK GUY working for a Russian tv show having a pop at other black guys on how they got their jobs,you couldn't make it up
Report cardenden June 11, 2018 3:14 PM BST
“Opportunities have been denied to me and it’s got nothing to with what happened with Ulrika Jonsson because I’ve worked since then. No, it’s because I’ve become increasingly outspoken and that’s not allowed in this country if you’re not white

are us whites allowed to call him a racist for this part
Report TheBaron June 11, 2018 3:27 PM BST
it’s because I’ve become increasingly outspoken

or another way of looking at it, a bigger tw@t than usual
Report themover June 11, 2018 3:33 PM BST
sounds like Stan has a problem with skin colour
Report olddesperado June 11, 2018 3:50 PM BST
Can see why he feels he's a victim.

He did spend a number of years on Merseyside so was bound to pick up a few traits of the mersey port peeps.
Report rommel June 11, 2018 4:23 PM BST

Jun 11, 2018 -- 3:50PM, olddesperado wrote:

Can see why he feels he's a victim.He did spend a number of years on Merseyside so was bound to pick up a few traits of the mersey port peeps.

odd youre a thwceammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Report gotitwrong- June 11, 2018 7:35 PM BST
he thinks we can meet Brazil in the second round !
Report raspberrybottom June 11, 2018 7:44 PM BST
Could it be that he's just not a very good "pundit"?

He's awful on the radio, imo. States the bleedin' obvious most of the time
and goes round the mulberry bush three hundred times before even attempting
to answer a straight question on his phone-in stuff (and even then his so-called
"maverick" views have all been done before).

Extremely overrated.

Rant over
Report Blackrock June 12, 2018 12:17 PM BST
TV football pundits are not needed. I've watched the match, so don't need some pr1ck to tell me that i'm not clever enough to understand the tactics involved.

Collymore did a radio phone in after a match, and its his job to get the calls coming in, so having outspoken opinions is usually the best way of achieving that.

Only one i bother listening to is Souness as he says it as it is without being patronising.
Report Dav_vin03 June 13, 2018 9:06 PM BST
strange guy, hes meant to have

walked out of Talksport because they got taken over by the same owners as the sun newspaper

and then a year later was back begging for his job back

and they said no
Report kincsem June 13, 2018 9:32 PM BST
DIE LINKE
He's right about Kamara and Wright, the experts have their say, then these two clowns are brought on so everyone can have a good laugh at how clueless they are.

They are amusing.  They are enthusiastic.  They can laugh at themselves.
I comes down to "do I enjoy the programme when they are on?"  I do.
You need a bit of banter, a bit of disagreement, emotion.
Report Dav_vin03 June 13, 2018 10:20 PM BST
he walked away from his sat night post match call in show on the country's biggest commercial station plus his appearance on a monday evening show

all because of a moral crusade against news international
Report 11kv June 13, 2018 10:36 PM BST
I'm white and canna get a job at the beeb............CryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Call the police
Report tobermory June 14, 2018 12:52 AM BST
Don't think he walked out on Talksport. I think his contract was up and they didn't offer him a new one.
Report clacherholiday2 June 14, 2018 12:58 AM BST
he does have some decent points here, pundits of all shades are brought in to fill specific roles and generally add little to seasoned bitter punters like me but provide some banal entertainment to the masses.  sometimes just representing a famous club without bringing much else in the way of analysis (lampard, gerrard, henry to name 3) is enough to get somebody in the studio, race isnt necessarily an issue outside the bbc.  the super inoffensive types come in all shades and arent limited to any particular group, theres too many of all of them just there for a larf.

that said, to single out race alone as the reason he specifically never gets hired is laughable, the guy is a **** on the radio, plus theres plenty of white pundits that come and go without a second look.  i could list the number of decent pundits ive seen around world football in the past 15 years on one hand and one of them is black; 2 are irish, one is english, one is scottish and the other is dutch
Report mecca June 14, 2018 2:25 AM BST
How many fingers you got on one hand, clacher?
Report clacherholiday2 June 14, 2018 2:42 AM BST
5 if you count thumbs Grin
o neil, keane, souness, hoddle (as a pundit not a comm) and ruud gullit
Report woundedknee June 15, 2018 2:27 AM BST
he needs to top up the Prozac
Report Callisto-moon June 15, 2018 9:05 AM BST
its has very much to do with the fact he beat up a lady.
wouldnt you say its very possible many viewers have daughters and think men
that do what he did are diabolical and no matter how long ago it was its unforgivable.
Report the.mad.dog.man June 15, 2018 10:45 AM BST
nearly all the football pundits are failed managersLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report ffaith June 15, 2018 10:55 AM BST
He was a great player at Forest.  Even then he was a sullen loner.  Almost joined man utd.  Just like Gazza almost joined man utd.  Both men seem troubled souls.  I have always thought things might have turned out differently for them both if they had played under the iron willed Scotsman.
Report 1st time poster June 15, 2018 11:15 AM BST
itv hitting all the pc buttons black lady pundits only problem been very few football fans to listen to ladys views about a sunday morning pub game never mind a world cup game, imo
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now