Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Emitdeb
16 May 18 16:12
| Topic/replies: 1,081 | Blogger: Emitdeb's blog
Two good reasons we need better than Southgate!...
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Chris Smalling and Danny Welbeck
Show More
Report conditor May 16, 2018 4:49 PM BST
Got get the right balance perhaps Wink
Report conditor May 16, 2018 4:52 PM BST
Mind you the misses never got a pick, suprising really
Report morpteh mackem May 16, 2018 5:45 PM BST
do you think smalling should be in the squad ?
Report Emitdeb May 16, 2018 5:56 PM BST
tbh.. he would be my first name on the team sheet.. But to be left at home is Bonkers. imo.
Report morpteh mackem May 16, 2018 6:02 PM BST
think should be in squad
Report lybertyne May 16, 2018 7:02 PM BST
Danny Welbeck - 0.18 goals per game this season

Glenn Murray - 0.34 goals per game this season

I'm an Arsenal fan but even I can see some quotas getting fulfilled here.

As for Smalling, what about Dale Stephens or Lewis Dunk?
Report conditor May 16, 2018 7:04 PM BST
You all know my views ,nothing to do with the best it’s to do with advertising,equality, FA dont give a ,as long as money made ,
Report conditor May 16, 2018 7:16 PM BST
You pay £50 to watch a game (work hard for it) for someone with an IQ of 57 to kick a bag of wind around (covered with tattoos) £50k a week ,and then you get Mardy over the weekend when they lose! Is it me, the wars started because I supported Man Utd and you an city , is that not brainwashing

The worlds f00ked,someone posted about elephants, .... plenty in zoos and circuses
Report asparagus May 17, 2018 9:22 AM BST
Welbeck 37 England caps, 15 goals. a very good record considering many of those games he was not playing as the striker and some were substitute appearances rather than full games. For Arsenal this season he's rarely played as a striker and often started on the bench so ridiculous to compare his goalscoring record to others such as Murray . He's a proper team player, works hard, links play and is intelligent. He won't start and he shouldn't start as we have better. He may well not get any time on the pitch all tournament. However he is decent cover both as a striker and playing from wide. He certainly should be in the squad, everything in his record suggests so and I can't think of anyone we've left out who could provide better back up.
Report asparagus May 17, 2018 9:26 AM BST
Obviously if Lallana had been fit he might have gone instead of Welbeck but he's not.
Report donny osmond May 17, 2018 10:18 AM BST
wellbeck is a decent selection, imo

glen murray was arrested back in january wasnt he? and unlikely to
get as many pens playing for engerland anyway
Report Racingqueen May 17, 2018 1:07 PM BST
htf has Smalling got in ahead of Jamelle Lascelles?
Report Emitdeb May 17, 2018 3:06 PM BST
If were looking for forward utility.. Id be picking Lingard! way ahead of that Donkey..
Report Outpost May 17, 2018 6:30 PM BST
southgate likes divers and welbeck is one of the best
Report LoyalHoncho May 17, 2018 7:28 PM BST
I hope Southgate has them practising their penalties.  Devil
Report asparagus May 17, 2018 8:45 PM BST
Emitdeb, Lingard is in the squad so that's irrelevant.
Report asparagus May 17, 2018 8:46 PM BST
and racing queen, smallling isn't in!
Report Racingqueen May 17, 2018 11:28 PM BST
HTF Is Smalling not in the squad
Report Emitdeb May 18, 2018 5:09 AM BST
Emitdeb, Lingard is in the squad so that's irrelevant.

I'm such a plum... sure i read he was left out. Blush (fake news)...Shocked
Report mesmerised May 18, 2018 7:21 AM BST
Seem to be in the minority but Andy Carroll would have been one of my picks, different to the other strikers, great aerial ability and with his feet, very physical/athletic, yet the chump Moyes had a central midfielder spearheading the attack with Carroll and Hernandez on the bench.
Report betting_masta May 18, 2018 12:00 PM BST
it's not southgate's fault we are producing sh*t players

it is southgate's fault for picking 3 left backs and 3 right backs though where there are only 2 shirts up for grabs in those positions
Report Racingqueen May 18, 2018 12:32 PM BST
Southgate is a f**king clown. Spouting utter nonsense about youth and giving them freedom. He's an absolute spoofer of the worst type.

Anyone who thinks Phil Jones, Ashley Young and Gary Cahill have been better than Jamelle Lascelles should be locked up
Eric Dier has been 5hit all season and somehow still gets a place
Report Rider May 20, 2018 11:23 AM BST
the inclusion of welbeck in the squad, if justified, just goes to show the lack of depth we have

selected as a forward yet everytime i watch welbeck i get reminded of what a poor finisher he is, he wasnt good enough at manu and he hasnt been at arsenal either, here are the epl stats for arsenal in the last 4 years

80 apps and just 15 goals, that's a MPG of a whopping 278! which isnt surprising when you see his xG yields an A/E return of just 0.77

in that time he has managed an assist every 463 minutesCrazy

his international record of 15/37 means little on closer inspection, 3 of those have been against san marino ffs and others against the likes of malta, lithuania, moldova, slovenia etc teams that wouldnt even be championship league standard
Report Injera May 20, 2018 12:32 PM BST
As with Roy's Iceland debacle, who will Southgate look to in order to head a goal late on?

With Murray, Carroll and Crouch left out, what is plan c with 10 to go and crosses flying into the box?

It's not about whether Wellbeck is decent, which he is. It's whether he offers something different which he doesn't.
Report ericster May 20, 2018 1:04 PM BST
Carroll? Wellbeck? They're crocs aren't they?

Also, consider this;
When we DID win the wc it was said in a book about Ramsey, in fact it seemed to be a very important factor, that he didn't always play the best players, but the players who seemed to play best together.

Just a  thought.
Report Injera May 20, 2018 5:05 PM BST
Indeed you play the best team. That's where the likes of Capello and Sven went wrong. They would always play Gerrard, Lamapard, Scholes and Beckham come what may.

Both Scholes and Gerrard have played on the left for England! SG was prolific behind Torres but did he ever play there for England?

Lampard was the main central attacking player for CFC but again he was often alongside SG not ahead of him.

Beckham whatever his level of fitness or form.
Report Injera May 20, 2018 5:06 PM BST
*Beckham played
Report ericster May 20, 2018 5:07 PM BST
And you can't knock going with current form.
Report ericster May 20, 2018 5:09 PM BST
On that score, Rashford could be a cause for concern after yesterday but he can't/shouldn't blame himself for what was a sh1t game plan.
Report Injera May 20, 2018 5:22 PM BST
He's at the wrong club with the wrong manager who quite frankly is one graceless individual.

Needs to play up front.
Report anxious May 20, 2018 5:26 PM BST
Why is he at the wrong club ?
Report Injera May 20, 2018 5:38 PM BST
Because he's a striker marginalised by your manager.

The modern way is one up top with the second striker out wide. Martial/ Rashford are bound to suffer.
Report mafeking May 20, 2018 5:42 PM BST
rashford is being destroyed at the moment. have no doubt he would look a great player at city, spurs or liverpool
Report ericster May 20, 2018 5:42 PM BST
Who cares about the " modern way "?
We all saw how they played in the second half.
Why wait until you're one down to go for it?
Report Injera May 20, 2018 5:43 PM BST
Because that's the modern way eric. Conte left Hazard and Giroud on the bench v Hudd. Waited till 0-1 before making a change.
Report anxious May 20, 2018 5:45 PM BST
Destroyed lol , there is no evidence to suggest anything of the sort , he has had a lot of game time this season and unfortunately not scored enough goals
Report Injera May 20, 2018 5:51 PM BST
anxious - look at his youth games under Nicky Butt. He played as a striker. He aint no winger.

Play him alongside Lukaku and see the difference. He's only 20!! Your manager talks about him as if the kid should know his game inside out. It's embarrassing.

(Preferably loan him to WHU...)
Report betting_masta May 20, 2018 5:55 PM BST
rashford needs to learn what he is and then work heavily on his game to become anything. he's a raw animal who possibly couldn't tell you what the capital of france is without giggling first
Report ericster May 20, 2018 5:55 PM BST

May 20, 2018 -- 5:43PM, Injera wrote:

Because that's the modern way eric. Conte left Hazard and Giroud on the bench v Hudd. Waited till 0-1 before making a change.

So?
Exploit the " modern way ".

Report anxious May 20, 2018 6:00 PM BST
injera you have some valid points but im afraid he has not delivered yes he is only 20 but he has had chances this season and i think 13 goals is not good enough for a striker at Old Trafford , i take your point about Mourinho but he needs more goals , how many as he scored for England ?
Report mafeking May 20, 2018 6:51 PM BST
2 but the same problem. never gonna play through the middle as long as harry kane is around

think you'd get a better return from him than lukaku if he played as your main forward. lukaku is limited
Report Injera May 20, 2018 7:23 PM BST
I'd say 13 goals is quite incredible for a youngster played out of position for a manager who has no time for youth.

You signed Sanchez who is played on the left. You paid £30m+ for Martial who hangs out on the left.

The kid has no chance yet has still bagged 13.
Report LoyalHoncho May 21, 2018 3:51 AM BST
Compare Rashford to Brian Kidd at the same age - evidence available on youtube - and the difference is clear.  At the same age Kidd was already a far better player.  For me Rashford needs to start playing not only for but with the team.  Setting others up is his weakness.  He's not good at it, so he as to be played as a main striker.  Then when he is he has to appreciate that he can't start dropping deep or he simply won't get chances. For me he is over-rated, but then so is Lukaku and this Man Utd side.
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2018 8:20 AM BST
Forget about one forward and one player out wide or whatever the modern game is meant to be about

That’s nonsense , the modern game is about numbers and has been so for at least 30 or 40 years
But increasingly do
It’s numbers attacking at the same time , 5 or 6 players and maybe 2 or 3 just behind

And then also having defenders and midfielders quick and strong enough to get back and defend in numbers

That is the modern game , yes it can go wrong on occasion , but in general it wins simply by attrition
It’s about numbers, nothing else
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2018 8:26 AM BST
Rashford struggles a little on sat? So what , the most talented player in the world can’t play up front on his own
No one can do it , it’s impossible
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2018 8:29 AM BST
The England players are good , as good as any players in the world
But they need help as individuals and options
That only comes through one thing ...numbers of players around you , helping you , giving you options
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2018 8:36 AM BST
You see some people are saying that rashford should be getting back more helping the midfield etc
Yes at times some forwards can do that , but mainly to give themselves freedom not to help the midfield

If is the object of the midfield to help the forwards  , not the other way round !
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2018 8:41 AM BST
How do they do that ? By being close behind them , around them , moving past them etc...
In numbers , that’s all
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now