Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
G Hall
11 Jan 18 11:16
| Topic/replies: 7,374 | Blogger: G Hall's blog
Just listened to it again,tears rolling down my cheeks, so funny.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Dean Saunders meets Brian Clough...
Show More
Report Ghetto Joe January 11, 2018 12:51 PM GMT
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/07/brian-clough-dean-saunders-nottingham-forest

“It’s a good after-dinner speech but unfortunately most of it isn’t true,” he told me. “Brian wasn’t drunk, he wasn’t crawling on his hands and knees, he didn’t sit facing a wall, he didn’t mention the carpet once and there was no flowerpot … it just feels like he [Saunders] has put this story through a very imaginative scriptwriter and this is what they’ve come up with.”

All rather awkward, I’m sure you will agree. “Brian liked a drink and we all know he had a situation towards the end but he wasn’t drunk that day at all,” Hill continued. “He didn’t do the things that have been said and I’ve no idea why he [Saunders] would say them.

“Brian arrived with Archie Gemmill. ‘Hello, Mr Clough,’ Saunders said. ‘Son, call me Brian,’ he replied. It was all perfectly normal. He didn’t really want to speak to an agent, that’s correct, and we were told it was going to be difficult because Saunders had already agreed a deal with Everton. ‘It won’t be difficult,’ Brian told him, ‘we’ll just offer you more money than they have.’ Then off he went up the garden to smell the lavender.

“When he’d gone, Saunders told me Everton had offered him £8,000. ‘A month?’ I asked. ‘No, a week.’ Crikey. I told Brian and his reaction was: ‘Bloody hell, that’s more than me, our Nigel and Pearcey get together.’ First of all, though, he wanted me to do something. ‘Smell this flower,’ he said, ‘it’s beautiful.’

“After half an hour Saunders said he would talk it through with his wife and went home. Then at 9pm he rang to say Liverpool had matched our offer and he would rather go there because his father used to play for them. So that’s it. Brian wasn’t drunk, and it’s not fair. There are all sorts of different Brian Clough stories – I tell some myself, but not derogatory ones, not ones like this.”

Still, the damage is done. That eight‑minute clip – “the funniest thing that’s ever happened to me in football”, Saunders concludes – has gone viral. It is an internet sensation and the Liverpool Echo’s headline on Monday was: “How a drunken Brian Clough tried to persuade Dean Saunders to turn down Howard Kendall.” Even the Birmingham Evening Mail was running it. “The following anecdote has nothing to do with our clubs on this patch,” the newspaper explained. “However, it is quite possibly one of the best football stories we have heard in the past quarter of a century.” Or, depending who you believe, one of the more ludicrous.
Report thelatarps January 11, 2018 8:20 PM GMT
One persons reality is anothers urban legend.
The best bit about the story, as told by DS, is that the great man didnt care at all for saunders agent.
I like you, young man.
I dont like you.
Still funny
Report DIE LINKE January 11, 2018 8:52 PM GMT
Cloughie didn't like agents as he viewed them as rivals for a cut of the deal. Great manager but bent as a £7 note.
Report thelatarps January 11, 2018 9:04 PM GMT
Cloughie likes a bung, claimed alan sugar a long time ago.
Report FredRescue January 12, 2018 2:30 PM GMT
And this was Clough's response to Sugar on that Crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpA6XC0i2Y
Report fdsgfargaer January 13, 2018 1:07 AM GMT
fredrescue,  that made me laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now