Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
akabula
11 Oct 17 16:59
| Topic/replies: 17,879 | Blogger: akabula's blog
Assuming he goes who would you want to see in his place?
Not many names springing out here. McInnes?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View NEXT SCOTLAND MANAGER
Show More
Report tobermory October 11, 2017 5:07 PM BST
DAVID MOYES remains favourite to take over as Scotland boss if Gordon Strachan leaves – alongside shock contender Malky Mackay.

The duo are joined on the shortlist of several bookmakers by Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert and Derek McInnes.

But it’s the SFA Performance Director’s emergence as a potential replacement for Strachan that may surprise fans.

Mackay, whose reputation was damaged by a text message scandal in 2014, is the 3/1 favourite with Sky Bet while Manchester United flop Moyes is Paddy Power’s 17/10 frontrunner.

The Irish betting giants make former Scotland manager McLeish and ex-Cardiff and Norwich boss Mackay joint second favourite.

Paul Lambert sits fourth at 6/1, with Aberdeen‘s McInnes fifth at 7/1.

Other surprise names quoted by the bookmakers include Strachan’s No2 Mark McGhee and Hibs boss Neil Lennon, 8/1 and 10/1 with Sky Bet respectively.

Strachan refused to comment on his position after Scotland’s latest qualification failure.

SFA chief Stewart Regan told SunSport there would be “no knee-jerk reaction” over the manager’s future.

A board meeting to consider Hampden chiefs’ stance on the issue is likely to happen this week.
Report tobermory October 11, 2017 5:08 PM BST
That is a very grim list for any Scottish fan to look through Cry
Report donny osmond October 11, 2017 5:11 PM BST
alan mcpardew a shoking omisshun
Report DFCIRONMAN October 11, 2017 5:17 PM BST
He has done a fine job.......not easy with "material" he had.

Takes time to get players to play reasonably well AS A TEAM.....

We are not blessed with "world class" players.....

Better coaching of young players to get them to PASS;CROSS;TACKLE;BE CLINICAL WITH SHOTS AWAY FROM KEEPER.....NOT AT HIM;SAME WITH HEADERS TOWARDS THE GOAL......NOT AT KEEPERS OR OVER THE BAR ETC ETC; CONTROLLING BALL QUICKER; PASSING QUICKER; BE MORE DIRECT; ......ETC ETC ETC ............probably a 1 year course learning skills for young players would reap rewards .

Who knows......we might create "world-class" players if players worked harder on SKILLS. Players also need to sharpen up on using their brains!

Sure it can be done....without having major genetic changes Devil
Grin

Leave STRACHAN alone , as he was a very skilful player, and has created a TEAM who do many things "right" compared to some teams in past.
Report Shrewd_dude October 11, 2017 5:28 PM BST
Michael O'Neil should be asked first. If says no look abroad.

The only one on that list that would give me any hope that we would ever qualify for a tournament again would be McInnes.

Iron Man Strachan is a complete failure and utter tool.
Report tobermory October 11, 2017 6:43 PM BST
The betting list is like a Dinosaur Derby
Report mumpin October 11, 2017 6:48 PM BST
Give Specky Levein another crack at it. Leave him alone for 10 years. He'd build something. Failing that how about Dick and Ian Campbell?
Report donny osmond October 11, 2017 6:51 PM BST
judy murray is about the best scottish coach since fergie retired
Report Shrewd_dude October 11, 2017 6:55 PM BST
The betting list is like a Dinosaur Derby

Unfortunately that's what means it's probably a very accurate representations of the names on the SFA's shortlist.
Report RioGrande October 11, 2017 7:22 PM BST
usa also out of world cup, ww3 confirmed
Report Geesyerdosh October 11, 2017 7:31 PM BST
If it's a choice of Moyes, Mackay, McLeish, McInnes, McGhee or Lennon;

I'd keep Strachan. Those choices are horrific. Maybe time for a foreigner a Michael Laudrup or Paulo Sousa. Doubt the pay would be enough though.
Report hippie October 11, 2017 8:33 PM BST
"Genetically we are behind, in the last campaign, we were the second smallest, apart from Spain."

I'd sack him just for that seriously fṳcking inane comment.

McInnes has earned his chance.
Report morpteh mackem October 11, 2017 8:40 PM BST
sfa considering dr mengele
Report fife October 11, 2017 9:25 PM BST
I doubt many if any of the above mentioned would have done a better job than Strachan.
Report Geesyerdosh October 11, 2017 10:13 PM BST
McInnes would make Strachan look like a tactical genius. Chops and changes constantly and still hasn't a clue what his best team is.
Report hippie October 11, 2017 10:49 PM BST
If McInnes had Celtic's budget he would probably have won the league by now whereas when Strachan fṳcks up again it won't be his fault because he's working with players that are genetically programmed to fail.
Report dr . atkins October 12, 2017 2:38 PM BST
he's gone
Report Outpost October 12, 2017 2:48 PM BST
we had our easiest ever group and he failed so he had to go
Report par October 12, 2017 2:59 PM BST
give it to big Eck, that will keep the those in Govan happy
Report akabula October 12, 2017 3:39 PM BST
Off by mutual consent. Get big Malky in, he'll tell it like it is. Blush
Report par October 12, 2017 3:59 PM BST
I wonder if Lennon would consider it. It would be easy to get a ticket anyway. Mass desertion from the tartan army.
Report MadVlad October 12, 2017 4:21 PM BST
Laugh
Report anxious October 12, 2017 4:53 PM BST
Next Scotland Manager 365
David Moyes 15-8
Malky Mackay 5-2
Sam   Allardyce 6-1
Paul  Lambert  10-1
Alex Mcliesh 10-1
Derek  Mcciness 10-1
Micheal O Neill 16-1
Neil Lennon 20-1
Report tobermory October 12, 2017 5:13 PM BST
Cannot believe they would consider Moyes after 3 consecutive train wreck jobs
Report Platini October 12, 2017 6:36 PM BST
Report ellis October 12, 2017 9:35 PM BST
?
Report akabula October 13, 2017 12:27 AM BST
Stuart McCall getting a shout on twitter.
Certainly preferable to Moyes.
Report milla445 October 13, 2017 2:00 AM BST
In the same way that decapitation is preferable to being burned alive, maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EI4SDBKY38
Report DFCIRONMAN October 13, 2017 10:31 AM BST
Paul  Lambert - Was a superb professional player. Accurate with passes....aware of importance of direct attacking using BORUSSIA DORTMUND experience.....was a TEAM player.

Of the list ...he would be worth a try with players we have today.
Report Platini October 13, 2017 12:34 PM BST
It's O'Neil or bust, Imo.
Report akabula October 13, 2017 10:11 PM BST
Moyes putting his name forward for the job.
Malky in charge of the November friendly against Holland in Aberdeen.
Report The Bhoys October 13, 2017 10:28 PM BST
surly micheal oniel ahould get a bigger job, hes done remarkable things with limited resources with norn iron
Report bankit October 13, 2017 10:32 PM BST
Ok real longshot..... this job isn't even part time, approach fergie ask him who he thinks could do a job and would he assist on game weeks, his input just in leading up to games could be enough to add a few points to the total at end of group and he'd give the players a lift! Very much doubt this but that's gotta be every scotkand fans dream!
Report ph. October 13, 2017 11:03 PM BST
just give it Allardyce, he doesn't want club pressures but he could manage the British way, not sure how they sort out the height issue with Strachan's hobbits. Got to be better than that list of cowboys.
Report peckerdunne October 14, 2017 12:10 AM BST
Dave O'Leary is available
Report Crisp77 October 14, 2017 8:54 AM BST
Joey Barton would be a decent choice. He knows how to make Scottish footballers look good.
Report Platini October 14, 2017 12:43 PM BST
LaughLaugh
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 5:12 PM BST
O'Neill or look abroad. As much as people want to criticise Berti he was the last manager to get us in to the playoffs.
Report DIE LINKE October 14, 2017 5:25 PM BST
Is Andy Roxburgh still alive?
Report Platini October 14, 2017 5:28 PM BST
what about Craigy Broon ?   Laugh
Report lurka October 14, 2017 5:30 PM BST
why would O'Neill take that job FFS?
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 7:53 PM BST
Why wouldn't he?
Report hippie October 14, 2017 8:05 PM BST
Money and ambition.

His star's on the rise and when he becomes available he's going to get better offers.
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 8:09 PM BST
Offers by who?
Report hippie October 14, 2017 8:24 PM BST
I'd expect one or two Championship clubs (with resources) to offer more money and more of a challenge than being the Scottish manager could offer (+ a huge bonus if he can take them to the Promised Land).

Scotland would be a fallback for someone ambitious and in the position O'Niell is currently in.
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 8:35 PM BST
You don't think there's any chance he'd take the Scotland job because he might get a Championship gig?

I'm saying he'd definitely take it but Lurka seem to suggest there's no chance he would and I think that's definitely not the case.

Reasons for him taking the job
1) he will probably double the salary he is currently on
2) there's no down side to the job. If he stays for 2 tournaments and qualifies for any his stock will be even higher if he doesn't then he's done no worse than the last 6 Scotland managers.
3) he currently stays in Edinburgh
4) he has two young teenage daughters that go to school in Edinburgh that he wouldn't have to either uproot to a new school and home or barely see because he spends most of his time down south.

I think being Scotland manager for a 4 year term is something that would be relatively attractive to him at the moment and certainly at least as attractive as a mid level Championsip job would be.
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 8:36 PM BST
*I'm not saying he'd definitely take it that should read
Report The Bhoys October 14, 2017 8:56 PM BST
Really thought hed be at a bettter level than championship, he has done an absolutly staggering job with what is available to him with northern ireland
Report hippie October 14, 2017 9:12 PM BST
His connection to Edinburgh is cropping up more and more in discussions about his eligibility to be next Scotland manager. You may be right but it seems a bit parochial to me. What he's achieved with Norn Ireland has made him a major attraction in the shop window and the Scottish job looks like a sideways move. The Championship was just as an example of a better offer but who knows what's going to come his way. If he can get through this play-off then he's taken his team to Euro 2016 and WC 2018. That would be massive on his CV and the merry-go-round could take him directly to the Premiership. Anything could happen but if I had got myself into the position he's got himself into I'd be disappointed if the Scottish offer was the best that came my way in the next year.
Report tobermory October 14, 2017 9:30 PM BST
I'd guess the biggest job he could be offered in club football would be Stoke or West Brom.

Not sure if that is more appealing than Scotland.

Clubs with ambitions to be established in the Top 6 wouldn't look at him because he is perceived as a manager that grinds out results and makes the best of bad resources. That kind of approach has a ceiling of mid table in the big leagues
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 9:56 PM BST
The point is though will he want to take a Championship job for similar wages that would require him to either move his whole family down south or barely see them when those same jobs will be available to him in 4 years when his children are adults even if he doesn't get Scotland qualfiied?

Maybe if a Premiership club came calling but Scotland and Championship clubs are 6 and half a dozen given his current circumstances.

As said though he'd be the first person I'd offer the job and if he declines then we should look abroad.
Report sofiakenny October 14, 2017 9:59 PM BST
Is Coisty available?Devil
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 10:16 PM BST
We couldn't afford to match his previous salary of 800k.Crazy
Report hippie October 14, 2017 10:16 PM BST
An example: "Football on 5, The Championship" has just finished. They mentioned there's some grumblings beginning to emerge at Sheffield Wednesday and a few "Carlos out" chants. This is a club that has made the play-offs the last 2 seasons, could offer double the basic Scotland is offering and double that again as a bonus for winning promotion (the consortium that took over the club in 2015 targeted promotion by 2017).

Throw in regular flights home and compare those prospects to what pot 3 offers.
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 10:27 PM BST
Where you getting your figures from? That kind of salary would make him the highest paid manager in the Championship and put him on a bigger wage than about a quarter of the EPl managers. Yes there's a fairly good chance he would potentially take that but I doubt those are the offers he will be getting.
Report hippie October 14, 2017 10:42 PM BST
I thought Scotland were offering £500,000 so I'm assuming top managers in the Championship are on £1m a year and with all the talk of what promotion's worth a £2m bonus isn't excessive.
Report Shrewd_dude October 14, 2017 11:05 PM BST
I'd be very surprised if the top managers in the Championship are on a million.

An article I read last year with the highest paid managers in the world last season had 24th on 1.5 million and of the 24 on the list only 9 were EPL managers. From what I've read Hughes is on about 900k at Stoke and there are other EPL managers on lower. I'd be surprised if there's many championship managers getting much more than 500k.
Report badjoe October 14, 2017 11:20 PM BST
tobermory • October 14, 2017 9:30 PM BST
I'd guess the biggest job he could be offered in club football would be Stoke or West Brom.

Not sure if that is more appealing than Scotland. Shocked

You've got to be kidding, managing a team in the Premier League, plying your trade in the most prestigious league in the world against the best football coaches around ( which you most certainly do not in international football ), less appealing than Managing Scotland Confused. English Premier League Managers Salary List 2017-18 – Tony Pulis West Bromwich Albion £2 million, Mark Hughes    Stoke city £900K. Plain
Report badjoe October 14, 2017 11:35 PM BST
* Mark Hughes    £2.2 Million    Stoke City
Report hippie October 14, 2017 11:58 PM BST
I didn't realise there was so little information about Championship managers wages. In fact, any wages outside the PL. All I've found is Nigel Clough was on £200,000 in 2011 at Derby, Steve Bruce was on £400,000 in 2013 at Hull and Benitez was on £4m last year. The Star's got a list of Premier League managers wages from Feb. 2017: Puel undisclosed; Karanka £355,000; Dyche £420,000; Howe £750,000; Hughes £900,000 and the rest £1m and above.

O'Neill was on £250,000 a year at Euro 2016 so £500,000 might be a more realistic Championship wage to tempt him but a £1m+ bonus for promotion (+ renegotiated contract) wouldn't be unreasonable.
Report tobermory October 15, 2017 12:00 AM BST
Strachan was on a 500k contract , though it was from 2013 . I guess the SFA would go to 750k now.

Though it is basically a part time job . Maybe the guy values time with his family etc , and as said above it seems the ideal location for his family.

Also we must consider that jobs like Stoke or West Brom are not guaranteed offers that will come his way. If they fell vacant then the clubs would definitely have a shortlist , rather than just phone Michael O'Neill straightaway  . He might get an interview but there could be several other plausible candidates .

So i think a definite offer from Scotland might be more advisable to take rather than wait for a premier league club that may never call.

Also consider that , in the parlance , Scotland is 'not a sacking club'  . Seems to me every Scotland manager for 20 years has been shyte , but they all seem to get 3 years regardless .

In the Premier League a bad start and you can be sacked in 2 months . The Championship is a madhouse with about 18 owners who think play offs is the minimum requirement , and you might not get 6 weeks.
Report tobermory October 15, 2017 12:14 AM BST
Anyway , my sole bet was laying Moyes @3.7

Inconceivable to me that he could be appointed .

Mackay will probably get it by default. Think the SFA made him performance director or something and the people who made that choice are presumably the same ones deciding this.
Report tobermory October 15, 2017 12:16 AM BST
As for Championship promotion bonuses , surely the SFA would offer the earth as a bonus to finally qualify for something ?

Could be a couple of million at least as they would likely make that back with tournament revenue and wouldn't really expect to have to pay it anyway.
Report superbigal October 15, 2017 11:23 AM BST
Yesterday was an SFA classic.  As well as the shambolic cup 3rd round double draw. On the day we had a show racism the red card they only go and appoint one.
Report trilby22 October 15, 2017 12:23 PM BST
Big Sam's ruled himself out ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41626593
Report trilby22 October 15, 2017 12:29 PM BST
Former Roma and Fiorentina manager Cesare Prandelli, who led Italy to the final of Euro 2012, wants to become the next boss of Scotland. (Sunday Mail)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41627066
Report trilby22 October 15, 2017 12:30 PM BST
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cesare-prandelli-e...
Report trilby22 October 15, 2017 12:31 PM BST
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cesare-prandelli-eyeing-up-scotland-11343833
Report peckerdunne October 15, 2017 2:49 PM BST
Dave O'Leary is available.
Report akabula October 18, 2017 4:20 PM BST
Big Eck putting his hat in the ring.
Give him the job. Players will be picked on merit rather than the old pals act.
Goodbye to Broonie and hello to Graham Dorrans.
Report sofiakenny October 18, 2017 4:40 PM BST
Strange you want a Rangers man...ackietim..you are hard to fathom.
Report akabula October 18, 2017 4:49 PM BST
Do you sit day in day out waiting on me posting?
Every post and yer on like a demented and obsessed budgie. Laugh
Report Platini October 18, 2017 4:52 PM BST
big Eck couldn't manage a sentence string these days, Aka.  Have you seen him lately?  The man looks ill, seriously Shocked
Report akabula October 18, 2017 5:09 PM BST
Was a tongue in cheek post Plat after seeing him saying he'd like the job.
And yes he does look ill, hope he's not. Decent person and great manager for us.
Not a seen a name yet other than the NI manager to get excited about.
The fact that the SFA said they would welcome outside funding to help pay for a new manager tells you that without the funding then it'll be someone not currently employed who will be favourite.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now