Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 5 people viewing this thread.
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 47,508 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 1:23 PM GMT
MORE FROM JOSE ON MEMPHIS

"When Mr. van Gaal bought him, he did well. He knew him very well from the national team, he was very young in the World Cup, he had flashes of top quality. He was playing well in Holland too; we know that the Dutch league is not the same, but he was showing very good things. He didn’t succeed in these 18 months, but he’s very young. It’s important for the club to keep control of this talent and we wish that he plays very well at Lyon. Why not come back here, as everybody likes him."
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 1:24 PM GMT
WILL WE REPLACE OUTGOINGS?

Asked if he'll add to the squad this month, Jose said: “For some positions, we are comfortable in numbers. We have lots of matches to play in the cups and we have accumulation of fixtures in April and May. Probably with some positions, we are going to have problems as we don’t have so many options but, in injury terms, we are being very successful. Hopefully until the end of the season, we won't have problems and we’ll survive to have conditions to fight for the competitions we are
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 1:24 PM GMT
JANUARY OR SUMMER WINDOW?

“I always think that the best time is in the summer market, I always consider the January market as an emergency one where you can try to resolve some problems or give a little boost to the team for the rest of the season. It’s not an easy market, I have to admit that."
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 1:25 PM GMT
RUMOURS OF YOUNG TO CHINA

Mourinho was also quizzed on media reports that Ashley Young is wanted by a club in China. “I don’t know because the first time I heard about it was when I was informed that it was in the media. I don’t give credit to that, unless Ashley comes and tells me something about it, which he didn’t.”
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 1:25 PM GMT
UNCONCERNED BY UNBEATEN RUN

Discussing United's 16-match unbeaten run, the boss finished by saying: “I don’t care about it. We are not going to play any match to try to be unbeaten for one more match, or to try to reach 18 or 20, not at all. We want to win matches, we try to win matches, we risk to win matches. If we lose, we lose, and we lose the unbeaten run. We are not going to Stoke to defend our unbeaten run - it’s a very nice run, I have to admit, but we are not going there to defend the record."
Report degsy42 January 20, 2017 1:50 PM GMT
what about the toblerone and fanta situation in his mini bar fridge
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 2:05 PM GMT
Wayne would be the main suspect I reckon
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 2:06 PM GMT
Are you retired degsy?
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 2:07 PM GMT
I know I've left an open goal for somebody but genuinely interested Grin
Report degsy42 January 20, 2017 2:34 PM GMT
haha no pete, still a long way off
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 2:54 PM GMT
Thought you were ex squaddie? did you finish early?
Report degsy42 January 20, 2017 3:29 PM GMT
12 years army
Report peter the butcher January 20, 2017 3:32 PM GMT
Sound
Report DeSSieReborn January 21, 2017 10:19 AM GMT
Agree with you Pete good to be getting realistic amounts for recent sales. Bit worried Shaw will be next because it looks like Jose is freezing him out, which is disappointing. I like the Italian lad as right back but would much prefer Shaw out left. Expect city to get back to winning ways this weekend.u
Report DeSSieReborn January 21, 2017 10:20 AM GMT
Degsy ex army? Fighting alongside Rommel or against him??
Report the_don January 21, 2017 12:05 PM GMT
Tough game today at a ground where our recent record isn't great. Despite our good recent results, since the home game v Stoke they've picked up 25 pts to our 27 which puts a bit of perspective on it.

I personally think our performances have dropped a bit in the last 3 or 4 games, not as impressive as December's games but managing to grind out a few wins, could be another day for that today.

Looking at Stoke's likely line up, you can imagine Fellaini playing a role if they start Crouch upfront. Hopefully we'll try and push our defence up the pitch and away from our box as they're not blessed with too much attacking pace.

I fully expect Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea to win comfortably this weekend, either City or Spurs (or both) will drop points so we've got to try to gain on them.
Report duffy January 21, 2017 4:55 PM GMT
Credit where credit is due for Rooney, scores the record breaking goal and could be forgiven for lapping it up in an OTT celebration especially with it being a great goal that meant something, but none of it, get the ball and let's get on with it.
Report grumpyjim January 21, 2017 4:56 PM GMT
now the record holder one WAYNE ROONEY .. Can only say well done   to him .. He  may decide the bigger money is in  /.//////// m........in  .,,,,,,,,,,CHINA  ..NOW  ,.. AND BE SOLD  ,,,,,TO LEVEL UP THE SCENARIO  ,,,, FOR THE FANS ..  AND THE CLUB .. ?
Report anxious January 21, 2017 4:59 PM GMT
Not a great result but at least a point great for Wayne that he is Manchester United all time top goalscorer but we did enough to win the match
Report the_don January 21, 2017 5:02 PM GMT
Credit to Rooney for the record and a great goal to get it with. He gets stick on here (rightly so most of the time) but it was the only real bit of quality around their box all game.

Thought we played quite well up to the final ball/cross/pass, a bit unlucky with their goal. Obviously Rooney did his bit but thought Rashford again was a right threat when he came on.
Report anxious January 21, 2017 5:06 PM GMT
Got to mention Clattenberg I know we have had a few calls lately but the handball by shawcross was a stonewall penalty
Report ufcdan January 21, 2017 5:08 PM GMT
The record books don't lie but jug ears is no Sir Bobby Charlton Plain
Report anxious January 21, 2017 5:10 PM GMT
It was it is dan Plain
Report anxious January 21, 2017 5:10 PM GMT
Great results for your mob so far dan Plain
Report ufcdan January 21, 2017 5:12 PM GMT
Yep losing bet on the Mickeys Cool step one. Step two backed Spurs hopefully the same Wink
Report grumpyjim January 21, 2017 5:20 PM GMT
FAIR PLAY WE ALL FIND OURSELVES IN A BAD PLACE AT TIMES ..BOGGED DOWN .. So to speak ..says he will be around for a bit yet .. That might be the bit of the jigsaw thats  just  completed his problems .. LOOKS AN OLD 34 YEARS OLD  but brought on by himself sure PTB .. WILL H AVE SOMETHING TO SAY ON HIS RETURN from Stoke ..  ? ..Calderon finished up at 40  last season .. but was still a player .. ?? ..a bit gaunt but no overweight ... .and sharp as a Tack .. GREAT TOOL TO HAVE IN THE BOX ..
Report anxious January 21, 2017 5:24 PM GMT
Cry
Report ufcdan January 21, 2017 5:29 PM GMT
Only one tool around here Wink
Report anxious January 21, 2017 5:45 PM GMT
Steady on Dan your mob still got come to Old Trafford , all 1500 of youse Crazy
Report ufcdan January 21, 2017 6:44 PM GMT
Yep curry houses better get extra food in Love
Report olddesperado January 21, 2017 7:20 PM GMT
Busy today and only seen the last 10 minutes ,

Have to agree with anxious about the penalty,   ffs he caught the ball and ran about 5 yards with it,  and fcuking skutterburg right in front of it with a clear view.

What more do we have to do for a penalty.

Jose must have been unsighted though or he would have self combusted and been banned for 3 life times by the FA for endangering spectators.
Report rommel January 21, 2017 7:24 PM GMT
jeezus what if fergie......hold on
Report anxious January 21, 2017 7:28 PM GMT
And they were singin hymns aand arias Laugh
Report olddesperado January 21, 2017 7:28 PM GMT
jose doesnt complain enough ,  needs to take a leaf out of fergie,s book imo
Report easyrider69 January 21, 2017 7:29 PM GMT
re Rooney

was listening to Radio 5 - the main debate was Rooney becoming the clubs leading scorer..
Some so called Utd fans were having a right pop - was wondering which of you on here rang in ?
Report the_don January 21, 2017 7:30 PM GMT
I thought it was a pen when I saw it Olddesp, but on the replay it never touches Shawcross' hands or arms, not sure how!

Did think Clattenburg let some Stoke players foul at will, the likes of Adam, Whelan, Shawcross must have committed numerous fouls, off the ball blocks and kicking the ball away. At least the added on time for it, the 5 minutes extra was more than justified.
Report the_don January 21, 2017 7:30 PM GMT
*At least he
Report rommel January 21, 2017 7:32 PM GMT
fergie would have ruined about 5 fkn watches,jose needs to get up to speed
Report anxious January 21, 2017 7:34 PM GMT
Up the Taffs Laugh
Report olddesperado January 21, 2017 7:37 PM GMT
Jeez don i,ll  have to look at it again on motd but i was just home and Mrs desp was in one ear so i couldnt concentrate but if he didnt handle it i,ll get meself some glasses.
Report rommel January 21, 2017 7:40 PM GMT
fck me,you lot looked at the goal ratios lately?
Report rommel January 21, 2017 8:14 PM GMT

Jan 21, 2017 -- 1:34PM, anxious wrote:

Up the Taffs

anx is upping his gameLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Report Capt__F January 21, 2017 8:20 PM GMT
well done Rooney
Report FiveTimes January 21, 2017 10:00 PM GMT
Evening all
Report FiveTimes January 21, 2017 10:02 PM GMT
Basically camped out in Stokes half today and if they'd taken all three points from us it would have been an absolute travesty
Report FiveTimes January 21, 2017 10:03 PM GMT
Read the red cafe comments, here are more;

We must have had 50shots on target. haha
Report FiveTimes January 21, 2017 10:05 PM GMT
Another one

we shud have had 2 penalties, the refs hate us
Report FiveTimes January 21, 2017 10:06 PM GMT
Report FiveTimes January 21, 2017 10:06 PM GMT
[CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy
Report anxious January 21, 2017 10:46 PM GMT
Five Times are you really somebody else Laugh
Report FiveTimes January 21, 2017 10:57 PM GMT
Used to post a lot on forum couple of years ago under diff name but got chucked off. don't remember you on here? twitter and rawk is better but brutal at times
Report anxious January 21, 2017 11:05 PM GMT
Yeah same as I used to somebody else Laugh bit of a shocker for your mob today , brutal defending
Report FiveTimes January 21, 2017 11:09 PM GMT
poor defending all season mate. No idea why matip wasn't on from the start. Man City, Spurs and Man Utd only gaining one point makes it a bit better but a win would have meant nice gap.
Report anxious January 21, 2017 11:20 PM GMT
Chelsea will be happy with todays results , its theirs to lose now
Report olddesperado January 21, 2017 11:53 PM GMT
I was blocked out there for a while, could access any other thread except the united one,  dont know the problem but logged out and powered off and was ok after.

Fair play to Rooney but ffs Alan shearer,  " Wayne is the sort of fella that would play for 50 quid a week "

Ye Alan thats why he held us over a barrel twice and is the highest paid player in England despite being sh1te for 4 years.

Mark Hughes another with selective memory today,

"To break the record and be there so long shows his loyalty to United"

Ffs again , he wanted to join both Chelsea and shity and only massive pay hikes made him stay.

As i said fair play to him but tell the fcuking truth everyone.
Report anxious January 22, 2017 12:14 AM GMT
Yes I think most United fans have mixed feelings about Rooney
Report If Dolphins Were Monkeys January 22, 2017 1:06 AM GMT
Lads... backed stoke today.  Only one reason why. Would love to elaborate. ..but would definitely get  a ban. Well done wazza.
Report the_don January 22, 2017 8:20 AM GMT
Come on Dolph, give us a clue.

Mixed feelings when Rooney put it in the top corner then?
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 11:24 AM GMT
Mischief
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 11:29 AM GMT
Well done to the disloyal greedy fsb. Got to say its some effort to score so many and pleased he did it with a proper goal rather than one off his thigh or whatever.

What a player he was in those first few years, one of the best "kids" i'd seen, raw explosive power with a great attitude. Today isn't the time to talk about the last 3-4 years.

Respect to the lad.

Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 11:30 AM GMT
Ooops sorry wrong photo, this is the only other one I have of him. Respect to him and his family...

Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 11:32 AM GMT
I thought we showed some proper spirit and a great attitude. The sort we used to show under Fergie when the late goal was almost inevitable.

Missed a big chance to close the gap on those above though.
Report anxious January 22, 2017 11:35 AM GMT
17 games unbeaten now though which id not bad at all
Report rommel January 22, 2017 11:41 AM GMT
BIGGEST CLUB IN DEE WHOLE WORLD,NOT ROUBLING THE SCORER IN CL THO EH,FERGIE FERGIE FERGIE NEVER FORGOTTEN,theyll be selling fergie lollipops nextLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report rommel January 22, 2017 11:42 AM GMT
smilies avvvv ittttLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report rommel January 22, 2017 11:43 AM GMT

Jan 22, 2017 -- 5:35AM, anxious wrote:

17 games unbeaten now though which id not bad at all

17 marvellous,just marv

Report anxious January 22, 2017 11:43 AM GMT
And they were singing hymns and arias
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 11:57 AM GMT
Hey rommel what did you think of Liverpool throwing long balls forward in desperation yesterday? Brought a centre half on and threw him up front so they could go direct to him quickly. Surely that's not allowed is it?
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 12:02 PM GMT
All that whingeing and whining from Klopp and he only goes and does it himself.
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 12:04 PM GMT
Its getting tight behind Chelsea now. They must be laughing themselves silly by now.

Disappointing because we've had plenty of chances to get closer. You look at the draws that we've had and in very few of them can you say we were pleased to get a draw. Should have won most of those matches.
Report rommel January 22, 2017 12:07 PM GMT
pete were a fckn shambles,no-one up front knows what the fck theyre doing,ditto klopp
Report rommel January 22, 2017 12:09 PM GMT
but hey,big sam didnt call us the longballers,a pathetic morsel to cling on to
Report anxious January 22, 2017 12:14 PM GMT
Peter yes we have had draws and been unlucky in some games, I think the uncertain start did not help and losing to city , Chelsea and Watford  was poor
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 12:16 PM GMT
Haha. I think you are just going through a bad spell. It happens to every team doesn't it? Once you've got the League Cup out of the way you can concentrate on the league again and that's a huge advantage. Personally I think this is/was your best chance to win the league. You've got to think United, City and Spurs will be stronger or better next season.
Report OnePercenter January 22, 2017 12:22 PM GMT
United are a long way off challenging for the title. We still need more goals. Ibra is grabbing some vital goals but we need to be scoring at least 2 goals a game.

Only Chelsea are showing title winning form. Liverpool & City are always likely to slip up away from home and against lesser teams.

I expect Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal all to be top 4. United have as good a chance as City or Liverpool to claim the last CL place.

Be interesting to see what the top of the table looks like just before the next European rounds.
Report OnePercenter January 22, 2017 12:23 PM GMT
I seem to remember someone bragging about the amount of posession they had against United. How little United had. How much did Swansea have yesterday?
Report OnePercenter January 22, 2017 12:23 PM GMT
I seem to remember someone bragging about the amount of posession they had against United. How little United had. How much did Swansea have yesterday?
Report rommel January 22, 2017 12:24 PM GMT
utd possibly pete,but spurs and city-not so sure,hopefully it is a blip for us and jk buys well
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 12:24 PM GMT
Afternoon anx, yes we virtually gave the rest two months start. Mourinho didn't seem to know what his best team and formation was although we were unfortunate in a few matches. That evens out over a period of time imo
Report rommel January 22, 2017 12:27 PM GMT
the possess stat was only a club to beat you with,just the way jm killed the fckn game off as an entertainment and didnt even see the opportunity of utd winning it,which he should have
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 12:36 PM GMT
Not sure what either of you mean regarding the possession stats. We had more possession than Liverpool last week, more short passes, more long passes and our passing accuracy was higher. Not sure that means too much tbh
Report OnePercenter January 22, 2017 12:38 PM GMT
rommel acknowledges he was trolling.
Report anxious January 22, 2017 12:38 PM GMT
There is still a possibility we could win 2 cups , would you regard that as a successful season Peter
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 12:39 PM GMT
rommel, are you saying that we didn't try to win the game against Liverpool?

Just realised you might be talking about the game at anfield, in which case you are right Blush
Report rommel January 22, 2017 12:40 PM GMT
the anfield game pete-utd 35% possession,but jm tried to bluff it with his own stats
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 12:44 PM GMT
anx, I've always said that the league title first, the CL second and not fussed about anything else.

I still think that and frankly if we got to Wembley in the league Cup and played Southampton I really wouldn't be that bothered. Obviously if it was against Liverpool then I would be bothered Devil

The Cups themselves are good for players and managers as a confidence thing and to put on their CV's and in some cases they can help enormously. If we won two or three Cups this year and finished in the top four I'm sire the board would be delighted and Mourinho would be satisfied. Personally I think its very disappointing that we are virtually out of the title race and its only January. We used to laugh at the scousers when that happened to them
Report rommel January 22, 2017 12:47 PM GMT
The Cups themselves are good for players and managers as a confidence thing and to put on their CV's and in some cases they can help enormously.......pete i dont know how you reach this conclusion
Report anxious January 22, 2017 12:50 PM GMT
Yes I can see your point but we haven't scrambled enough points for a title bid have we no matter that some of the draws should have been wins, therefore if we won 2 cups but not top 4 many would not be happy but I think lets have a little patience and im sure at least 2 top players will arrive in the summer
Report anxious January 22, 2017 12:51 PM GMT
The major problem has been our forwards apart from Zlatan have not scored enough goals
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 12:56 PM GMT
rommel, your old manager Brendan needed to win a trophy, any trophy. One of the Cups would have given him, his methods and his players a huge boost.
Report rommel January 22, 2017 1:14 PM GMT
boll*** pete,either its a trophy worth winning or its not,in my opine not,just opinion i sppose,the league,then cl same as you
Report woodmanchester January 22, 2017 1:18 PM GMT
United the luckiest football club the world has never known. No surprise to me whatsoever they keep getting extremely late goals
Report anxious January 22, 2017 1:30 PM GMT
Thank you for that Mr Greyhound and a bluenose
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 1:32 PM GMT
Yep we been lucky since 1878 mate.
Report rommel January 22, 2017 1:36 PM GMT
if either/both of us are in with a title chance/cl place,last thing we need on feb 26th is a bruiser at wembley with you lot-vice versa
Report peter the butcher January 22, 2017 1:40 PM GMT
Doesn't seem that long ago City fans used to sing about having the tallest floodlights in the league and the widest pitch.

We feel the pain you has woody.....

"This is what it feel like to be Citeh. this is what it feel likes to be small, this is what it feels like, when yer team wins nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all" Devil
Report grumpyjim January 22, 2017 1:43 PM GMT
game .......... appears to produce plenty of knackered players ..  barely see out anything like 90 mins .. too fast too furious .. for todays breed of athletes .. ? 
English game is in crisis    ........as the football hierarchy .. are now in China ... WITH ENORMOUS POCKETS ..  Beggars BELIEVE ..that MR TEVEZ  is off to greener ? pastures than THEATRE OF PAST DREAMS .. ??
SKY SPORTS already rather not enjoying the pull of the game they have dominated for 2 more years .. STILL   will collapse soon ..
Rooneys beating the 40 year old record ..  is amazing ...considering   ...his last 3 years and all the ..untrue stories around  ..that leaves one shaking .... head    ...that the demise of a truly great player may well be ended .. from subs bench for years ..?? to come .
Report the_don January 22, 2017 1:50 PM GMT
Good point Jim about Rooney. Now he's got the record how long do we think he'll hang around? He must know he's slipped well down the pecking order and will be mainly used from the bench these days. A nice payday in China or would Koeman have him at Everton?
Report anxious January 22, 2017 1:56 PM GMT
2nd league goal of the season for Wayne , top goalscorer for England and Manchester United maybe he thinks its time for tally-ho
Report OnePercenter January 22, 2017 2:05 PM GMT
We are out of the title race because Jose is the 4th manager in 5 years.

The team played SAF's way.
They then had to learn to play DM's way.
Then they had to learn how to play LvG's way
At the beginning of this season they had to learn to play Jose's way and he had to assess the squad.

In 3 years time we will be back in the CL semi finals. Jose won't settle for anything less.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now