Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 50,134 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 11:53 AM GMT
Alright Sol, obviously would have been better for you to score last ten minutes or so. I understand what you mean about scoring too early. It sort of set the game up for the old type of United barrage of attacks. If you hadn't we may well have been content to play it around without the urgency until late on
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 11:54 AM GMT
You can't have played much better away from home this season than the first twenty minutes yesterday? Thought you were pretty good tbh
Report Solano1 November 19, 2017 12:03 PM GMT
Very difficult to make a comparison as we haven't played any of the better sides away from home yet.
Played really well at Swansea and at Southampton but were more compact against more limited opposition.
Had Jacob's fallen the other side of the post or Isaac not missed the sitter it could have been different.
Hey ho - our fate won't be decided at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge or the Etihad etc.

Very inexperienced (but honest) set of lads at this level who are improving - hopefully that's enough to stay up but we need Merino, the skipper and a left footed LB all fit ASAP.  Not sure how much you've seen of Merino but we miss his control of games and I really think he'll play for a Champions League club.
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 12:09 PM GMT
I was surprise at how gung ho you were tbh but if the plan was to get a goal and then be more compact, it worked.

No I haven't seen anything of Merino. Thought some of your defenders were a bit "light" losing out to challenges a few times. That Manquillo struggled all day long.
Report Solano1 November 19, 2017 12:16 PM GMT
Aye, mebbe. 

No coincidence that we have 10 points from the 6 games he's started - notched the winner in another where he came off the bench too. 

Aye, Manquillo was a budget buy to provide cover at RB given budget constraints.  To be fair to him, he looked much better on the other side and is filling in at LB given we haven't had a LB fit since the first game of the season.  I'd personally play Clark there to give the balance but happy to defer to Rafa.

If you look at your goals I think you deliberately targeted the back post ball given neither FB is particularly big - and it worked.
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 12:40 PM GMT
Yes I think you are right regarding targeting the back post
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 19, 2017 1:00 PM GMT
Thought that was a good win Newcastle were ideal started well Got the goal

But once they couldn't increase it or hold onto parity played into your hands became very open and left a lot of space

Good game though watched first half and it was good only spurs dropped points but didn't drop places

All the top trams winning quite tight in the bunch plenty of ups n downs to come
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 2:04 PM GMT
Yep Newcastle played a much more open game than I thought they would.
Report anxious November 19, 2017 2:20 PM GMT
Peter are you going to Switzerland ?
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 4:38 PM GMT
Yes I am anx, hope its better than the last time I was there. I'd take a point now.
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 4:41 PM GMT
In under four months we've scored 4 goals in 7 different matches. I had a few bets on us yesterday, nowt to write home about but took 4-0, 4-1, 5-0 and 5-1. Nice little pick up Grin
Report olddesperado November 19, 2017 6:09 PM GMT
How uncouth bragging about your wins again butcher.

Aftertiming of the highest order .

Your before timing usually consist of 1/2 shots stuffed out of sight to add insult.
Report olddesperado November 19, 2017 6:11 PM GMT
Even the sight of Moyes on the touchline these days is enough to turn my stomach.
Report olddesperado November 19, 2017 6:21 PM GMT
Unsworth was desperate for a win yesterday to try keep the job yet still didnt bring on dessie,s friend despite making all three substitutions.

I said on their thread before the season that he would get koeman the sack before end of season and end up out of the team.

Koeman did what several of our own managers did and moved better players out of position to try accommodate him.

Everyone suffers.
Report the_don November 19, 2017 6:34 PM GMT
Good to win from behind yesterday though as mentioned there was plenty of time with it being an early goal. Credit to Newcastle for their first half performance, defended well but also looked lively. The timing of the 2nd goal was a killer for them I thought and the 2nd half was more comfortable.

Was impressed with Shelvey who put in some lovely passes/through balls, very surprised he doesn't get an England look in with the current lack of creative midfielders, disciplinary problems is the only reason I can think of?

On to Basle and time for a few to get more match minutes as we are practically qualified. Pogba, Rojo and Ibrahimovic. Could see the sense in playing Lindelof yday as he was on a high after Sweden's matches - thought he did ok and improved as the match went on.
Report olddesperado November 19, 2017 6:45 PM GMT
Speaking of Moyes he must have told Carroll to do it like Fellaini does it.

He led with his elbows for every challenge and should have walked in the first minute. Grin
Report olddesperado November 19, 2017 6:49 PM GMT
If I was him the don I'd rest pogba but try get a half hour into the other two.
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 6:59 PM GMT
Lol oldesp, l won so little I couldn’t even copy and paste onto here without being embarrassed
Report olddesperado November 19, 2017 7:27 PM GMT
Strong looking bench yesterday.
Rojo, Shaw, Ibrahimovich, Herrera, fellaini,  Lingard and Romero.

Mikiy and Bailly not included.
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 7:32 PM GMT
It’s a shame we aren’t already mathematically qualified for the next stage of the CL as Mourinho couldplay those who need games.
Report anxious November 19, 2017 7:41 PM GMT
Peter dont be so shy about your winnings and your tipping , your well known for your boxing , tennis and sports betting coups Crazy
Report olddesperado November 19, 2017 7:41 PM GMT
I dont think he likes messing about with the team too much.

Even if qualified I think he would still play the spine of tge team minus Pogba and one other maybe.
Report the_don November 19, 2017 8:00 PM GMT
I'd say we are 99% qualified. 6 pts clear, if we lose our last 2 games and finish level on points it will go to the head to head record. We've beaten Basle and CSKA comfortably so would have to get battered twice to go out.
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 8:10 PM GMT
Agreed don and arguably little difference between the possible opponents whether you win group of come second
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 8:12 PM GMT
Anx, if I relied on my betting winnings to watch United I wouldn’t get much further than the Council House for away trips.
Report anxious November 19, 2017 8:17 PM GMT
Do you ever bet on the NFL
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 9:17 PM GMT
Now and then, usually when I’m bored. Do you?
Report anxious November 19, 2017 9:20 PM GMT
Yeah im on the Patriots v Oakland over 54.5 points  to get my money back thats gone west last few days
Report anxious November 19, 2017 9:21 PM GMT
A fool and his money PlainCry
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 10:20 PM GMT
Good start
Report peter the butcher November 19, 2017 10:22 PM GMT
Oops, just realised they are well into 2nd quarter. Struggle from here pal
Report anxious November 19, 2017 10:38 PM GMT
14 -0 but not good enough , have gone in again over 41.5 points if this loses i am in deep ****
Report anxious November 19, 2017 11:04 PM GMT
24 -0 come on more points
Report jedi sophie November 19, 2017 11:35 PM GMT
Raiders diabolical,contributing nothing Anx.....
Getting smashed.
Pile in on Eagles,no Ezekiel Elliot Dallas.
Report anxious November 20, 2017 12:16 AM GMT
ffs 33-8 one more score to get me back to safety
Report anxious November 20, 2017 12:16 AM GMT
Eagles kick off 1.30 am jed
Report anxious November 20, 2017 12:18 AM GMT
33-8 thank you Happy
Report anxious November 20, 2017 12:20 AM GMT
ffs what am i saying i need over 41.5 Shocked
Report anxious November 20, 2017 12:32 AM GMT
Oh my Sad
Report degsy42 November 20, 2017 6:09 AM GMT
20 times
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 20, 2017 11:16 AM GMT
And maybe have a little go on LANDIN 1'10 plumpton second fav at minute

Highly tried last season won maiden first time out put race to bed before idling on run in

Has penalty but has experience and ability bumper horse will have to pretty good on debut it might be

Form of the win was not cast iron but couple have come out and run well

Not always easy with a penalty but could be good enough currently 3.2 cheers
Report rommel November 20, 2017 11:43 AM GMT
anx locate your ar** and your elbow,learn to know the diff'
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 11:50 AM GMT
Morning all
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 11:52 AM GMT
Desperate stuff on the Patriots anx, hope you still got some of your bank left. I think Raiders were the ones who let you down, you'd think they would have got more points than they did.
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 11:53 AM GMT
Will have a look at that horse RP, cheers
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 11:55 AM GMT
I've had a go on CAPITOUL in the 1.50 at Leicester. I've taken 6.6 and was expecting money for it but you can still get 6.2. I know the yard fancy it strongly. It was going well last week when it fell whilst having a slight lead. Good luck if you have a go.
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 11:57 AM GMT
Not sure what Philly Eagles were but Jedi's tip of smashing them was spot on. Did you follow his advice anx?

Well don jedi
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 20, 2017 11:58 AM GMT
Pete have u ever been asked to bet for a friend or they give u money and ask them to make some
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 12:20 PM GMT
Yes, something along those lines RP. Why do you ask?
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 20, 2017 12:25 PM GMT
I did it for a friend and it was so stressful he didn't ave much but wanted a grand profit

I said if u give me a grand It would be easier but he only had 250

Altered my whole thought process I made it in five weeks but to be honest I lost his 250 first two days

U think with it not being ur cash it would be easier but it was harder
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 12:33 PM GMT
Probably the greatest racing in running punter betfair has ever had is a friend of mine. He's made multi millions over the years. I went into hospital for a while and took all my money out except 500. He said he'd try and build up a decent bank for when I came out. He did make money but said what you have. It was so stressful and he felt he couldn't bet normally with a small bank etc.

I've done it for others and won them loads and lost their banks but like you I didn't tell them and deposited my own funds to get it back, win them a little and then stop Blush
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 20, 2017 12:39 PM GMT
Ye he asked me again and I said no but I did learn from it I now look through the cards and ask myself in a non gambler asked for one horse today to uthis money on which one

Bienga non gambler they not interested in unlucky or it was value

Just a winner that's all that counts to them so I use that now look through try to find one I'm confident in

It doesn't  always work but it focuses me for one bet per day main selection

Win or place just a bet that generates a profit the days most likely winner in my mind
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:03 PM GMT
I reckon if i picked one horse a day and had the discipline to stick to it, I would win money overall
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:06 PM GMT
Years ago I had a very simple system. I would look at oddschecker in the morning and would find the horse that was a bigger price with Ladbr0kes than with anybody else. It would have to be quite significant. ie Laddies offering 3/1 whilst everybody else was 2/1

I would then lay that on the basis that Laddies at that time had the best sources and knowledge. It worked very well
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:07 PM GMT
Right let's cheer this LANDIN on and get it home
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:13 PM GMT
Going well RP although early days
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:14 PM GMT
Just being cajoled
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:14 PM GMT
Favourite leading
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:15 PM GMT
Landin struggling now, well behind
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 20, 2017 1:15 PM GMT
Dissaointing
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:17 PM GMT
Ran went pretty much as you thought RP. Landin ran on into 2nd well behind the favourite. No way of knowing how good fav was so worth taking on but it proved way better.
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 20, 2017 1:29 PM GMT
Ye never got near really might try place bet on globe angel Wolver bad draw but been showing mid race abiity

Hopefully get in finish we'll challenge for a place good luck with yours
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:35 PM GMT
Global Angel went 1.01 for a place, top four. Who the hell backed at that price? I was praying it would hang on once it had been headed
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:40 PM GMT
I reckon Keeper Hill should be closer in price to the 4/9 favourite. I've taken a bit of 3.3
Report rommel November 20, 2017 1:41 PM GMT
PETE YOURE SHREWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Report rommel November 20, 2017 1:42 PM GMT
why is every trainer shrewdddddddddddd??
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:47 PM GMT
Phew you wouldn't want to be on that favourite if it keeps jumping like that. Ironically it was Keepers Hill who cost himself the race with blunders at the last two
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:48 PM GMT
The money has come for CAPITOUL, its now 4.9. Come on Sean, boot it home
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 1:57 PM GMT
Ran a shocker Sad Wouldn't have made a difference but he kept to the inside when everything else went wide. Must have thought the ground was better there? Awful run.

15 lengths turning in, then seemed to be cruising with two to jump but went out like a light. Pulling in the early stages obv caught up with him
Report jedi sophie November 20, 2017 2:02 PM GMT
Deary me lads,think you should all get back tompontificating about the footy no? Not much success on the turf.
Eagles weren't a great price Ptb but had a right go at them and not too many dramas at all. Cosy winners,a very decent outfit indeed and if stay healthy can go all the way to Bowl imo.
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:02 PM GMT
Sad news about Jana Novotna. Forty Nine years old is no age at all. Still remember her in tears after losing to Stefi Graf
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:04 PM GMT
What do you mean jedi? This is a good day of punting for us. All finished their races.

I once tipped one that ran off the course and fell into the river nearby
Report jedi sophie November 20, 2017 2:06 PM GMT
Apologies,I thought you were having a stinker reading the posts.Gringlad to hear you are not, I'm doing ok on turf so far,Johnson one there very easy....Ground turned a bit can make it tricky...
Report rommel November 20, 2017 2:08 PM GMT
jedu show us the way,youre a GOD on here
Report jedi sophie November 20, 2017 2:13 PM GMT
Really? Wasn't aware of that!
Sarcasm a fairly low form of wit Rommel...ExcitedCool
Nothing much to offer as per!
Report rommel November 20, 2017 2:14 PM GMT
a joke pal thats all.a jest
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:18 PM GMT
Right i'm backing Cultivator to beat the 4/7 shot in the 2.20 Leicester.

Come on.......
Report jedi sophie November 20, 2017 2:20 PM GMT
Few jollys gone in today...ExcitedShocked
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:21 PM GMT
Yes, I don't like backing short priced horses in novice chases or on softish ground
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:23 PM GMT
Its a case of who jumps best on the day. 1.45 on the off isn't for me
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:25 PM GMT
Come on jedi, throw in a horse you fancy.
Report jedi sophie November 20, 2017 2:29 PM GMT
Had a couple of bets earlier,only other bet is Gabriel's star at Wolves,thought be longer but can go in again I hope.....
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:34 PM GMT
Ok will cheer it home for you
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:35 PM GMT
No sign of anx, wonder if he's on the phone to "Quick Loans for U"?

Hope he got out of his predicament last night
Report jedi sophie November 20, 2017 2:37 PM GMT
Also think Falcons spot of value tonight in Nfl. Hawks no Sherman or Chancellor,two of there real top defenseman...Should be a decent game but 130 am a tad late again.......
Report jedi sophie November 20, 2017 2:38 PM GMT
Shortened up a bit already actually.:sad:]
Report rommel November 20, 2017 2:40 PM GMT
havent watched the nfl for a while,not for any part' reason,could still watch a game,about 80-90% of the plyaers in any given game never touch the fckn ball
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:55 PM GMT
Have backed Waneen in the 3.00 at Wolver. Rare that John Butler leaves his money behind when he has a go
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 2:57 PM GMT
3.85 is a huge price if its off
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 3:04 PM GMT
6th is pretty good for me
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 3:32 PM GMT
The Eric Cantona transfer from Leeds to United

Leeds managing director Bill Fotherby:
“I rang United about Denis Irwin, who had been at Leeds as a young boy. Martin Edwards said there was no chance but I asked him to at least speak to Alex (Ferguson). Normally, I wouldn’t have expected him to ring back. This time he did, offering me a different player I knew Howard would not be interested in. It was then he asked about Eric. I said absolutely no way and that it was impossible. But obviously I knew what Howard felt about him, and I knew this additional payment was due. As I had done before, Martin asked if I would talk to Howard.

On that particular day Howard was out house-hunting in Leeds, so the only person I actually spoke to was (coach) Mick Hennigan. I just said ‘I can’t believe it. Guess what has come right out of the blue. Howard will absolutely love it’. I left it a couple of hours, rang Martin back and said ‘I can’t believe this but Howard is willing to let the boy go’.”
Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 3:40 PM GMT
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: "I think we can chase City, why is it not a possibility?. We are all here because we want to win and we need to because they are first. Jose Mourinho knows what he is doing even when the number of players are limited because he’s a winner and has been winning every season. I think there is a possibility for everything (the title and the Champions League). We were early into it last year and won two trophies and we are stronger this season. We believe we can do it - that’s the aim. To win and get the trophies."
Report rommel November 20, 2017 5:55 PM GMT

Nov 20, 2017 -- 9:32AM, peter the butcher wrote:

The Eric Cantona transfer from Leeds to UnitedLeeds managing director Bill Fotherby: “I rang United about Denis Irwin, who had been at Leeds as a young boy. Martin Edwards said there was no chance but I asked him to at least speak to Alex (Ferguson). Normally, I wouldn’t have expected him to ring back. This time he did, offering me a different player I knew Howard would not be interested in. It was then he asked about Eric. I said absolutely no way and that it was impossible. But obviously I knew what Howard felt about him, and I knew this additional payment was due. As I had done before, Martin asked if I would talk to Howard. On that particular day Howard was out house-hunting in Leeds, so the only person I actually spoke to was (coach) Mick Hennigan. I just said ‘I can’t believe it. Guess what has come right out of the blue. Howard will absolutely love it’. I left it a couple of hours, rang Martin back and said ‘I can’t believe this but Howard is willing to let the boy go’.”

you seem to live in the past,eric fergie...not necessarily a criticism....

Report peter the butcher November 20, 2017 6:10 PM GMT
No i'm very much in the present. Those horses I backed are still running as I post
Report salmon spray November 20, 2017 6:13 PM GMT
Albert Quixall is still alive. And it's even longer since he played for my team than your lot.
Report rommel November 20, 2017 6:14 PM GMT
jedis too
Report rommel November 20, 2017 9:35 PM GMT
where is the betfair master???????????
Report jedi sophie November 20, 2017 10:16 PM GMT
Will NOT ever again commit my hard earned to the bold Sebastian Woods....A total passenger.

And a slow horse to boot!

Excited
Report themover November 20, 2017 11:49 PM GMT

Nov 20, 2017 -- 9:40AM, peter the butcher wrote:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: "I think we can chase City, why is it not a possibility?. We are all here because we want to win and we need to because they are first. Jose Mourinho knows what he is doing even when the number of players are limited because he’s a winner and has been winning every season. I think there is a possibility for everything (the title and the Champions League). We were early into it last year and won two trophies and we are stronger this season. We believe we can do it - that’s the aim. To win and get the trophies."

LaughLaugh

Report rommel November 21, 2017 11:13 AM GMT

Nov 20, 2017 -- 4:16PM, jedi sophie wrote:

Will NOT ever again commit my hard earned to the bold Sebastian Woods....A total passenger.And a slow horse to boot!

jed wasnt a dig at you-horses make fools of us all mate.was a swipe at the nerbous chwenny times who seems to have done a hg wells on us

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now