Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
peter the butcher
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 34,632 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:31 PM BST
Moyes asked Giggs if the players would stay behind for an extra 45 mins training.

Giggs asked if they would be using the ball. Moyes told Giggs that it would be more training without the ball because "we have to assume the opposition has got the ball"

Giggs replied with "We're Man United, we assume we've got the ball"

Giggs hardly played since and its doubtful that Giggs will get the chance to score at least once this season to keep us his record of scoring in every Premiership season. Revenge is a dish best served cold, eh?
Report degsy42 April 20, 2014 9:32 PM BST
Laps are required
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 9:34 PM BST
Moyes is a terrible man manager I think that's fair to say.

Your most effective attacking performance of late has been at newcastle. Mata and Kagawa had someone with good movement ahead of them and you scored 4 as they could actually create.

With Rooney you don't have that and with the armband and the new contract any style you play has to suit him and nobody else
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 9:38 PM BST
In all seriousness why has Evra suddenly gone and started missing games? Fell out with Moyes or does he think he's off next year so decides to play Buttner instead? Who is an extremely average player at best I may add
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:38 PM BST
Anybody watching the Barca match?

Had a decent bet on them and wondering whether to lay off...
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 9:39 PM BST
I'd lay off. They were average first half and I've since turned over to watch the snooker
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:39 PM BST
Will post the conversation I and a few others had with Ed Woodward in Munich shortly.

Just let me sort this Barcelona match out
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:41 PM BST
Hibee,

I backed them short and then backed them again when they went behind. Average price a bit better now;

Barcelona    1.85    £1,312.65    £1,116.80
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 9:41 PM BST
Cheers Pete nobody went skint taking a profit remember Cool
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 9:42 PM BST
I'd green that up no question mate
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:43 PM BST
Ok, layed a large part of the bet off;

Barcelona    1.11    £1,000.00    £112.41

Hate giving money away like that but could be a late twist here.
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:44 PM BST
Will lay a bit more off at 1.05 (if they get there...)
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:47 PM BST
Sorted
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:47 PM BST
Right Ed Woodward conversation coming up.
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 9:48 PM BST
Good stuff. In previous years I'd say leave it but this aint the team of old
Report bbc2 April 20, 2014 9:48 PM BST
grow some peterGrin
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:50 PM BST
bbc,

You don't know how much it hurts me to give some money back by laying off but as hibee says this is an unpredictable Barcelona team.
Report bbc2 April 20, 2014 9:51 PM BST
wusGrin
Report toffee87 April 20, 2014 9:51 PM BST
the 14 players we used today cost less than Juan Mata

Howard, Coleman, Baines, Stones, Distin, Barkley, Osman, Naismith and Mirallas were all brought in by Moyes at a cost of £20m - all of them infinitely better than anything you had out there

Did you honestly pay £12m for Smalling - someone was having a laugh there - our right back cost £60k and ran you ragged all evening
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 9:52 PM BST
That block from Maschareno saved a cert goal
Report CR7 April 20, 2014 9:52 PM BST
With Pinto in goal the best thing to do is always lay off
Report egner April 20, 2014 9:53 PM BST
..yet it took Martinez to get them to play to something approaching their full potential.
Report bbc2 April 20, 2014 9:53 PM BST
no more today toffee ive started self harming
Report egner April 20, 2014 9:53 PM BST
....just shows what a progressive manager can achieve.....worth their weight in gold.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 9:57 PM BST
I've found out why Dessie hasn't been posting recently.
He's entered the Eurovision, representing Austria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToqNa0rqUtY
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 9:57 PM BST
It seems an apt time for me to finally post the conversation with Ed Woodward at the memorial in Munich.

Will try and remember word for word what he said.

Firstly he loved the limelight and stood there holding court even though there were only 6 of us with him to start with. Others joined us when they saw that he was talking fairly freely.

I asked most of the questions although one lad kept shouting "Why Fellaini"? which was funny for the first ten times...

Ed-"I want to tell you straight away that we're man United and everybody still wants to play for us. We'll sign who we want"

Embarrassed silence, I looked at my mate and whispered "stupid tw@t"

Q- "What about Fabregas then"?

Ed- "I can promise you that we wanted him and he wanted to come to us definitely. It was a who blinks first situation. He wanted Barcelona to say he could leave and they said he needed to ask to leave. We were very close and then the new coach came in and that changed everything but he was ours"

Q- "Just like the Rooney situation then"?

Ed-" No because we don't let players tell us what to do, we would never have let him go to Chelsea. They are one of our main competitors so no way would we let him go there"

Q-" Would you have let him go abroad"?

Ed- "No comment"

Q- "that means yes then"?

Ed- "No comment"

Q- "Why did you let Vidic go"? (amazed at his answer to strangers)

Ed-"Don't know if you'd noticed but he had lost a yard of pace and when Evra pushes up Vida drops back a few yards and plays people on so we thought it was a good time to let him go"

Q- " What??, Don't you think he has other qualities to offer the team"?

Ed- " that's what the manager felt"

Q- "What about Herrera"?

Ed-" we don't always get it right"

Q-"What"?

Ed-- "It was just one of those things"

Q- "Did we bid for Ronaldo"?

Ed- "What I can say is that no matter how much you bid for Ronaldo his club will never ever sell him. We could bid half a billion and they wouldn't sell"

Q- "What about Gareth Bale, did we bid for him"?

Ed- "I can't comment about that" (little smirk on his face)

Q- "So we did bid for him"

Q- "or you just want us to think we did"

Ed- " can't comment sorry"

Q- "how many players are we signing in the summer"?

Ed- "Not sure but you cane be certain we will be in the market for some top players"

Q- "We will need at least 4 or five as we will be losing Rio, Vidic, Giggs and Evra"

Ed- "I wouldn't say Evra is going, we are still hopeful he will stay for one more season. He has the option and so do the club. He is very important to us and he is the heartbeat of the team in the dressing room. In fact I would say he is the most popular player in the club"

Q- "Have we bid for Kroos"?

Ed- "I can't answer that, i'm sorry"

Q- " That means we have"?

Ed- "No comment"

Q- "Can we afford Cavani"?

Ed- "If we want a player we can go after him. Its a work in progress at the moment"

He then posed for photos like he was some film star. In the background stood two model like girls one of who I have seen at one of the European ticket collection points before.

He asked if anybody wanted any more photos so I walked towards him and asked if I could have a photo with the girls instead.

He went red and moved to one side, grinning

Got a cracking photo of me with the two lasses Grin
Report grumpyjim April 20, 2014 9:58 PM BST
remember and ca canny , peter with the prized .. E D  .. we might have to call him in for an update ??? at sometime  ...best kept on side ...as he is a learner is he not ?  Is he on who's side ''' as not sure what is his remit from whom and hope that's not too tricky , but so far list good things he has done first if ANY ...
Report grumpyjim April 20, 2014 10:00 PM BST
just failed I see to get you .........................
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 10:00 PM BST
Ha ha ha get the pic up then Peter Silly
Report Solano1 April 20, 2014 10:03 PM BST
What about Sanchez?
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:04 PM BST
Can't post the pic hibee as they are United employees, maybe his personal secs?

As Jim is intimating, I am on thin ice already....

They are nice though.....GrinGrin
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:05 PM BST
..funny...could be the next Alan Partridge charachterLaugh
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:07 PM BST
Sh1t I f ucking forgot to ask him about Sanchez Sol.

That was my big chance and I messed up.

Ed was at Goodison today. Looked rough tbh, tie was all over the place and looked like he's been helping Wayne with the kebabs.
Report cruso April 20, 2014 10:08 PM BST
If he was that candid with you ( a stranger in a foreign country ) that goes some way to explaining his expertise in the transfer market.
Report grumpyjim April 20, 2014 10:09 PM BST
has a good eye for female staff you agree with ..PTB  .....NUMBER ONE ..NEXT ?
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:10 PM BST
cruso,

What he said about Vidic was extremely naive wasn't it?

He said something about hoping nobody was taping him but lads were videoing him and taking photos as he was saying it.
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:13 PM BST
Jim

What's your view on Davey after today. haven't heard what he said after the match yet but I presume I might as well watch any one of the previous dozen or so post match interviews after a defeat?

Thought it was interesting to play three number 10's at the same time or was Rooney supposed to be playing up front?

What is the point of paying 27m for Fellaini if he's not going to play him against the team that he knows best??
Report cruso April 20, 2014 10:14 PM BST
Just supposing Moyes is replaced, just who would decide his successor?
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:15 PM BST
Me me me me me
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:16 PM BST
Rooney was playing up front......its just his inflated go wouldn't allow him to stay there....

..which left you with no striker and no one to play a pass to!!!!Laugh
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:17 PM BST
..who would you choose pandorica....that is availble
Report cruso April 20, 2014 10:17 PM BST
Are we phasing out wingers too ?
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:18 PM BST
I presume they would ask Ferguson and Charlton for their views and then Ed, the Glazer's and the rest of the board would decide.

The problem is that Charlton hates Jose and Ferguson would be loathe to show he was wrong with Moyes.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:19 PM BST
"that is available"?
Unless they're dead, they're available.
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:20 PM BST
egner,

It was only a few months ago you were all supportive of Rooney saying how good he was and how he was saving United etc, despite us telling you that he would cause us more problems.
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:21 PM BST
Pandy, you back from your hols or is Angie waiting outside some internet cafe in France?
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:21 PM BST
back Cry
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:22 PM BST
Suffering the UK until August now - including a trip to OT Cry
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:22 PM BST
...except in the real world of football and reputaions they are not....

..how many of your current players would Mourhinho think were up to the job....

..and how many would be technically good enough to be accepted by Pep....

Klopp is less of a purist I think and may be able to shape them into a team.....

so I guess Klopp is your best bet as it seems from the outside as though things have got a bit stale with Dortmnd.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:23 PM BST
Money talks Egg. If we pay, we get whoever we want
Report 56 April 20, 2014 10:23 PM BST
On Moyes, they will give SOME more money to spend and if not in top 3 by xmas 2014, he will be gone.
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 10:23 PM BST
Ed sounds like a total pillock Pete. His transfer dealings show he is poor at his actual job too

As for Moyes he actually said he thought you played well. I despair......
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:24 PM BST
And it remains the no-brainer it should have been last year.
Report cruso April 20, 2014 10:24 PM BST
Jose is the wrong fit for Utd
Martinez for me, he is fearless and charmingand a trophy winner, I read Barca are sniffing around though
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:24 PM BST
Norwich or Hull?
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 10:24 PM BST
Always surprised Conte from Juventus isn't mentioned more
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:25 PM BST
Not sure there's a deal of difference there Peter but Norwich at least.
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:25 PM BST
no PTB you are wrong...and are again twisting my wirds to suit your agenda...

I said I couldn't understand how some players resented Rooney because at the time he was playing very well and his attitude was brilliant and quite obviously deserved his place in the team....

I also went on to say that I could understand their resentment if he wasn't performing on the pitch...which he obviouslty isn't at the moment.
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:26 PM BST
I think Klopp has signed a new contract hasn't he?
Report happyhibee April 20, 2014 10:27 PM BST
I think the resentment probably comes from the fact he has twice tried to engineer a move and both times the reward for that is an improved contract. Most of the model pros at the club ain't gonna say well done are they?

Is Rooney actually liked by his teammates?
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:27 PM BST
Martinez, flavour of the month.
Did you see how Wigan defended last season? Plus they were relegated.
Report cruso April 20, 2014 10:29 PM BST
Always liked him, thought hed get a better club than Everton
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:30 PM BST
I like him too.
But that counts for nothing
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:30 PM BST
..as with most things in football....if players are performing on the pitch most other things tend to be forgotten ...or at least accepted and tolerated....pretty quickly.
Report cruso April 20, 2014 10:32 PM BST
Precisely, but who and what gets them performing?
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:33 PM BST
egner,

Not sure what my agenda is?

But you definitely sided with Rooney earlier this season.
Report cruso April 20, 2014 10:33 PM BST
I can tell you what dosnt
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:34 PM BST
...the manager...who motivates them...and the clever ones do it whether the player realises  it or not.
Report degsy42 April 20, 2014 10:36 PM BST
Shhh. Match of the day is on
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:37 PM BST
I've just listened to all of this year's Eurovision songs Plain
It's a toss-up whether it was better or worse than watching us.
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:37 PM BST
..yes..I did side with rooney....you put up an article written by some journo.....that purported to say a lot of rooneys team mates didn't like h9is preferential treatment....

I simply stated that while he as performing as he was...brilliantly and full of commitment at the time...they didn't have a leg to stand on.

you took offence for some reason.
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:41 PM BST
...and its quite obvious that the way he has played today and for the last few weeks all these old resentments will probably come to the surface because his performances and the odd wonder goal cannot gloss over things anymore....

..the way he is playing at the moment he shauldnt even be starting for |England....not that Hodgson would have the stomach to drop him.
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:44 PM BST
egner,

Ok, can't remember exactly what it was but Rooney is still doing as much running as he was then. The only difference is that people have started to realise that his running back and moving out of position is actually causing us problems. Something we have pointed out for months now.

I wouldn't have taken offence but would have tried to put you right as I don't need any excuse to have a go at Rooney. Sometimes wrongly but for the right reasons imo.
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:47 PM BST
The only difference is that people have started to realise that his running back and moving out of position is actually causing us problems. Something we have pointed out for months now.

..which I also pointed out on an Englamd match thread where he constantly messing with the shape of the team by running around like a maniac!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:47 PM BST
He hasn't put in one outstanding performance all season.

He has been our best player many times but his performances have hardly been worthy of a 300k a week man. Although he has scored a couple of outstanding goals.

His performances have been nowhere near the scale of Suarez, Yaya, Aguero etc
Report degsy42 April 20, 2014 10:48 PM BST
Believe utd fans had a justice for the 39 banner at Everton. Classy as usual  . Won't be missed . Enjoy your moyesy years
Report joe159 April 20, 2014 10:48 PM BST
Debt up to their eyeballs and players on £300,000 a week, Bye Man U, you are now joining a special group.
Leeds
Ranger
Now Man U
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 10:49 PM BST
Forget it egner, it was early in the season and was during the Rooney/Dessie rumbles we often had. The England match was later. Let's move on mate.
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:49 PM BST
...another thing I was taught....you can create just as much space for yourself by standing still as you can by moving!!!
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:49 PM BST
Joe, fresh from his economics class.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:50 PM BST
It's no fcking wonder this place pays for my holidays
Report egner April 20, 2014 10:51 PM BST
..I liked Dessie...had loads of banter with him....usually good natured.....

...bit worrying cos at the first sign of a Rooney diss he would be all over you!!!
Report joe159 April 20, 2014 10:52 PM BST
Facts, they are in debt up to their eyeballs, no CL football next year, so lack of exposure plus income, players on to much wages.

Would you trust Moyes to spend money, All I can see is the only ones benefiting from Moyes move to ManU is Everton.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 10:59 PM BST
Yes I'd always trust an economics graduate who doesn't know the difference between 'to' and 'too' and who thinks there's a similarity between United and Leeds. Plain

Anyway, moving on... PtB.
You'll be surprised to hear, all the Euro entries are sh1t.
In fact the UK's is probably the best song.
If you fancy an early punt at ridiculous prices on guaranteed finalists, France at 240. Spain at 60.
I don't think I'll be bothering with it much this year: maybe to lay one of the favourites, Armenia or Sweden, depending on how the betting goes.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 11:01 PM BST
There's a marked shortage of attractive women this year. Sweden romp in on that one.
Report Ahoy 1982 April 20, 2014 11:02 PM BST
Christ Padorica how did u listen to that rubbish. Tough on the ears.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 11:03 PM BST
Pool - lager - Kindle - pool - sunshine - lager - pool.

It's a chore mind
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 11:06 PM BST
Pollaplonk at 880 for Iceland seem to have acquired a time machine and gone back to about 1981
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwfGKEIn5xw
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 11:12 PM BST
So just to make it clear who are you recommending and what strength of bet.

I will place the bets now as I am bound to forget later
Report peter the butcher April 20, 2014 11:15 PM BST
France and Spain for small bets. Is that it for the time being?
Report Lucky Sod April 20, 2014 11:16 PM BST
What a stat Moyes has named a different team in all 51 games in chargeDevil
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 11:16 PM BST
Teensy bet on Spain and France for a bit of interest on the night.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 11:17 PM BST
I think Armenia is too short but I'll wait until after the semis before I do anything there
Report bigH April 20, 2014 11:18 PM BST
everton 2nd goal - no midfield cover in front of the defence

poor
Report egner April 20, 2014 11:18 PM BST
they will be calling him the tinkerman before too long.
Report Pandorica April 20, 2014 11:19 PM BST
Pete - is he the worst manager we've had since Hitler was knocking around?
I think he is.
Report bigH April 20, 2014 11:21 PM BST
well said, Danny Murphy
Report egner April 20, 2014 11:38 PM BST
56  • April 20, 2014 1:15 PM BST 

Spurs want to pay £20m for Welbeck - Id snap their hands off.

Levy versus Woodward in a negotiation.....LaughLaughLaughLaugh

..im trying to thing of an analogy but cant at the moment....

..needless to say it wont be pretty.Laugh

aha....I have found something akin to the Levy/Woodward negotiation analogy...

Paxman(Levy) versus "Blinky Ben Swain"(Woodward) from the brilliant "The Thick of It"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNjevGdB5g

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report bbc`s embarrassed dad April 21, 2014 12:17 AM BST
Thanks for the 6 points this season,same again next season
Report Can't Catch Me April 21, 2014 1:08 AM BST
Even the bitterest blues were embarrassed at your lot today.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now