Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 13 people viewing this thread.
peter the butcher
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 37,769 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report DeSSieReborn September 1, 2014 2:28 PM BST
WTF is Thompson talking about Falcao doesnt know he'll be playing but he would at Arsenal? RVP wont be seen again for months (NAP)
Report bbc2 September 1, 2014 2:31 PM BST
doesnt know he is having an opShocked
Report Bergkamp93 September 1, 2014 2:55 PM BST
I am still shocked at Burnley paying 11 million for boyd, that is INSANE !!! ...Got to be x4 times better about than that Smaras look-alike Shocked
Report Bergkamp93 September 1, 2014 2:55 PM BST
samaras*
Report DeSSieReborn September 1, 2014 3:06 PM BST
City getting rid of Negredo?? Surely not? Pellegrini brought him in didn't he?? He played his part in reviving them too......
Report DeSSieReborn September 1, 2014 3:07 PM BST
BergWhoops
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:21 PM BST
Afternoon
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 3:24 PM BST
What are you hearing Jim?  Sorry, Peter
Report Ahoy 1982 September 1, 2014 3:25 PM BST
What a coup ye have pulled off if he is the same player after the injuries
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:30 PM BST
Thought the young kid James Wilson was our best player when he scored two goals on his debut and also when he came on at MK Dons. Hope that nothing changes for him with Chico leaving and he still gets a chance.

Obviously I understand the need for us to bring some new players in and don't get me wrong its very exciting seeing some of these names but it doesn't sit too well with me.

Are we trying to out do City?

The whole fun with United was to watch City and Chelsea buy anything that moved to catch us up and we ripped them for it. Now.......
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:31 PM BST
I think the coup is the fact we have got him on loan if that is confirmed.

No brainer in that case.

I would like to see us get shot of a few players asap so it looks like a rebuild rather than a kid in a sweetie shop scenario
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:32 PM BST
Ozy,

There is no stopping Ed now Shocked
Report Ahoy 1982 September 1, 2014 3:34 PM BST
I agree Pete. Its a sensible deal and indeed a no brainer.
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:35 PM BST
If we end up buying Falcao I think I'm right in saying that United have spent more in the season and three games since Sir Alex left than he did the entire twenty odd years he was there.

Sobering thought isn't it?
Report bbc2 September 1, 2014 3:35 PM BST
vidal a no no .i sent ed some magic mushroomsLaughLaughLaugh
Report Ahoy 1982 September 1, 2014 3:36 PM BST
Ye would be bonkers to pay that much given his age
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 3:37 PM BST
desperate times, despeate measures.

we weren't getting out of the mire any other way, Peter. we still might not get out of it.

can't wait to see who is next.
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 3:38 PM BST
amazing stat that about SAF
Report themover September 1, 2014 3:38 PM BST
I don't see Falcao ending up permanently at United. Jardim at Monaco was so keen to offload him that something stinks! He even struggled with the physicality of the Ligue 1 defences so I'm not expecting much at United...hope not anyway Laugh
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:41 PM BST
This isn't a panic measure by the way.

United were talking to Falcao in February whatever the clubs might say now.

At that time the talk was that Falcao had made it clear he wanted to come here and Moyes was prepared to let Van Persie go.
Report themover September 1, 2014 3:43 PM BST
not a panic measure? It's the last day of the transfer window Laugh
Report OnePercenter September 1, 2014 3:43 PM BST
If fit Falcao will be a great signing but we still need a no nonsense centre back.

Also Peter is right. We need to get our acadamy to first team route unhinged. The likes of James Wilson must get their chances.
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:43 PM BST
themover,

The fact that Falcao had previously wanted to come to United gives me hope that is why he is here.

I accept that there might be reasons other than his unhappiness at his club or FFP rules allowing us to get him but therein lies the coup of a loan deal.
Report dr . atkins September 1, 2014 3:44 PM BST
i thought your new manager would be good for man utd how wrong was i hes either the biggest clown ive ever seen or someone behind the scenes is pulling the puppets strings
Report bbc2 September 1, 2014 3:44 PM BST
united had to do something with rvp having an op
Report themover September 1, 2014 3:44 PM BST
Where do you get that from? He wanted to go to Real Madrid from what I understand and even posted to that effect on twitter just the other day.
Report degsy42 September 1, 2014 3:45 PM BST
why the f00k would he want to come to manchester than monaco ?, cant understand that , wet windy cold and a stadium full of glorys
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:46 PM BST
Which bit themover?

About the talk of him wanting to come here as far back as February?
Report themover September 1, 2014 3:51 PM BST
Yes. You made it sound like it was his first choice. I don't think Falcao cares where he goes as long as the money is right...hence his move from AM to Monaco when he pretty much had the pick of Europes top clubs at the time.

LVG will have known about RVP's knee op before the WC as apparently he was the one that requested it was delayed. Yet he leaves it to the last day of the transfer window before making a loan deal for a player that has hardly played any football, and if anything struggled in the French league and costs a fortune in salary. There is no doubt he will be a great acquisition if he returns to form but as Monaco are so keen to offload him I would have serious doubts.
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:51 PM BST
I'm saying that we had heard in February that Falcao wanted to come here and that Van Persie was leaving. We laughed it off because we couldn't imagine Ed getting that sorted.

I have no idea if that is what caused Falcao to be here now but i do know his agent has been hawking him around so I don't know what his options were and why he chose us. Can only think of Madrid he would probably have gone to instead of us of the clubs mentioned, City, Liverpool, Arsenal,......
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 3:51 PM BST
The reason he is with us, Peter, is because something went wrong with his RM deal.

Ed sprung liked a coiled Cobra to pick up the pieces.
Report OnePercenter September 1, 2014 3:54 PM BST
The fury of the Scousers over the Falcao signing shows no sign of letting up.

You'd think they would be happy to do a 'car crash' deal to but a 'crocked' striker who they turned down last week in favour of Balotelli LaughLaugh
Report themover September 1, 2014 3:54 PM BST
I think Falcao would have gone to whoever would have paid him the most, with his preference being Real Madrid. Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the EPL though for sure.

Seems Negredo is off to Valencia which might suggest City would have taken Falcao if they could have juggled the FFP in which case United 1 City 0 Laugh
Report degsy42 September 1, 2014 3:55 PM BST
when he tweeted'  hala madrid ' last week it was a columbian expression which means ' giggs stay away from my missus'
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:55 PM BST
Its very easy for fans to start picking holes in players other clubs buy. We have done it with Balotelli for example.

If we'd made 65m or something like that for Falcao it would have been an enormous risk and probably open to ridicule but surely a loan deal spells very good business?
Report dr . atkins September 1, 2014 3:57 PM BST
latest news you are going to play 7 up front and 3 at the back and outfield players will take turns in goal. lvg said its the way forward
Report degsy42 September 1, 2014 3:57 PM BST
good player 12 million loan fee pennies to the glazers
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 3:59 PM BST
That is my point Ozy. Of the options left to him he chose us and yes Ed has got in first.

If he'd wanted to go to City, Liverpool and the other clubs interested his agent could have offered them the same loan deal. I accept Madrid would probably have been his first choice.
Report easyrider69 September 1, 2014 3:59 PM BST
lol nothing wrong with that Dr atkins.....Its a "Philosophy"
Report themover September 1, 2014 3:59 PM BST
yes, I think the loan deal option makes it a worthwhile punt
Report themover September 1, 2014 4:00 PM BST
incredible to see two very expensive players (Torres and Falcao) both going out on loan!
Report dr . atkins September 1, 2014 4:01 PM BST
you are going to spend over 200 million what happens if no champions league next season ?
Report easyrider69 September 1, 2014 4:04 PM BST
Jamie Redknap is some **** lol
Report OnePercenter September 1, 2014 4:04 PM BST
United are not spending money to secure a champions league spot for next season. United are spending money to get back to being regular semifinalists. We want a regular top 4 spot in Europe.
Report degsy42 September 1, 2014 4:05 PM BST
its nailed on now champs league spot . might as well hand over the prem trophy too. its all paid for
Report easyrider69 September 1, 2014 4:06 PM BST
can you bring it over from lpool Degsy  Tongue Out
Report themover September 1, 2014 4:06 PM BST
Laugh
Report Can't Catch Me September 1, 2014 4:11 PM BST
United are not spending money to secure a champions league spot for next season. United are spending money to get back to being regular semifinalists. We want a regular top 4 spot in Europe.

Laugh

Comment of the day imo. I remember knowing several Liverpool fans who were this deluded at one time.
Report themover September 1, 2014 4:15 PM BST
Falcao - Man U
Aguero - Man City
Costa - Chelsea

any offers for Mandzukic?

Laugh
Report OnePercenter September 1, 2014 4:17 PM BST
Liverpool fans may be used to bring also rans in their own league but having got used to dominating the Premiership United will only be content when they are back amongst the strongest sides in Europe.

It's called ambition.
Report bbc2 September 1, 2014 4:21 PM BST
express and metro confirm talks have started to sign joana moutino
Report luna bid September 1, 2014 4:35 PM BST
afternoon one n all , cheers for the tip peter could not get on anywhere hope it stoats for you , if no further signings ie in midfield or defence can only really see Rooney being used in midfield even when played up top this season he is constantly dropping back trying to force the play , that being said cant see Falcao & RVP as a partnership , far too similar , both used to play same role Yes and given their poor fitness records that may well be the plan to use sparingly ???
Report duffy September 1, 2014 4:53 PM BST
Look at it this way, this sudden splurge of money bringing 5/6 players is basically what should have been dripped into the club over the past 5 years, it didn't happen because the glazers didn't see the need as SAF was doing the business and couldn't comprehend buying from a position of strength.

If all these players had been bought bit by bit over the past 5 years, there wouldn't be a bristling amongst some of how the ethos of the club is being corrupted....they're being bought now all at once, it may or may not work, but it's only the same business that should have been done over the last few years anyhow.
Report tony2914 September 1, 2014 4:53 PM BST
afternoon chaps, didn't see falcao comimg big surprise.Gonna be interesting when eveyones fit. Would like to see a an out and out centre back come in but cant see whos available now. Do you think that's incoming business done ?
Report luna bid September 1, 2014 4:58 PM BST
or even at the start of a Transfer Window Duffy ? but I'm convinced Utd operate a refusal to pay Top Wages to potential targets in the summer whilst they are on holiday or in competition , granted it may save anything up to £8/10m but it puts the Managers preparations back months compared to others who do their business early doors as we did yongs ago ?
Report 56 September 1, 2014 4:59 PM BST
Apparently, LVG is happy with his defenders. Everyone thinks RVP may be benched/injured but he could put Falcao/RVP up front and leave Rooney on the bench GrinGrin
Report degsy42 September 1, 2014 5:00 PM BST
manchester united are pleased to announce an increase in ticket prices, pies on the concourse are also going up 20% . enjoy
Report themover September 1, 2014 5:04 PM BST
"the ethos of the club is being corrupted"

Any ethos the club did have has well and truly been obliterated. Finally some peace and quiet from United fans about spend, spend, spend!

Welcome to the era of modern football Cry
Report duffy September 1, 2014 5:05 PM BST
Probably best time to judge the defence situation is once raphael, rojo shaw actually make it onto the pitch...along with blind sitting in front maybe.....jones evans and smalling will be a distant memory/nigtmare not too long into the future....hopefully!
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 5:11 PM BST
tony,

The young 15 year old kid who made his debut for Norway is said to be considering signing for us. He is a midfielder and basically everybody is after him including Madrid, Barcelona, Munich and the likes of City, Chelsea and Liverpool over here.
Report bbc2 September 1, 2014 5:16 PM BST
with the liverpool trolls about have we burst their bubbleLaugh
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 5:30 PM BST
Whichever way you look at it United have shown they can still attract the top players and without Champions League football.
Report PBK September 1, 2014 5:33 PM BST
Hi Pete sent you a message sorry mate Shocked
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 5:35 PM BST
No problem mate
Report Bergkamp93 September 1, 2014 5:36 PM BST
Such a shame Man United couldn't sign
Rickie Lambert or Adam Lallana
because of no CL football.....

.....They had to settle for Falcao and Di Maria.
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 5:38 PM BST
No Easyjet travel for Falcao
Report peter the butcher September 1, 2014 5:40 PM BST
Blind and Rojo top signings too imo Bergy
Report PBK September 1, 2014 5:42 PM BST
Catching up on here good news Falcao great loan don't know that I'd want to buy him especially what Chelsea where thinking of paying for him, not the quickest fella but certainly knows where the goal is. It carries on I'll take your advice and keep lumping on Utd Shocked
Report PBK September 1, 2014 5:44 PM BST
LaughLaugh Bergy imagine having to put up with those two sh!tty players !
Report gotia September 1, 2014 5:51 PM BST
where will he play now????

Rooney ,RVP,Falcao ...
Report Bergkamp93 September 1, 2014 6:00 PM BST
Great signings indeed pete, Seen a lot of your guy Blind for Ajax, He is a Quality player..very calm on the ball and has a bit of a fabregas through ball pass about him if that make sense !!

As for Rojo, was quality in world cup and seen a bit of him last year for Sporting....can get up and down without getting exposed reminds me a bit like zabaleta, also he is versatile !
Report Bergkamp93 September 1, 2014 6:02 PM BST

Sep 1, 2014 -- 5:44PM, PBK wrote:

Bergy imagine having to put up with those two sh!tty players !

Laugh Ano pal must be hard being a UTD fan today .Grin

thought the arsenal would have nicked falcao Cry Disappointing, he would have been just what we needed !

Report bbc2 September 1, 2014 6:11 PM BST
blind deal still not finalisedSad
Report Solano1 September 1, 2014 6:12 PM BST
£346k per week?

Wow.
Report duffy September 1, 2014 6:14 PM BST
Welbeck medical at Arsenal?
Report Try My Best September 1, 2014 6:16 PM BST
He'll do well at Arsenal
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 6:24 PM BST
Any sign of any fackin additional midfielders/defenders?

You'd think the names would be in the wind by now if going to happen.
Report duffy September 1, 2014 6:34 PM BST
Ozy
going to have to go back to a 4....

de gea

raphael   jones? rojo    shaw

blind

mata   herrera    di maria 

rooney
               falcao

what's not to like.Happy
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 6:35 PM BST
Mata, for one, you cannot play him there, he has no legs.
Report patrick starr September 1, 2014 6:36 PM BST
the skips in bootle must be empty tonight lads,they're all on the united thread LoveLaugh
Report duffy September 1, 2014 6:38 PM BST
He won't need legs there.
Report patrick starr September 1, 2014 6:40 PM BST
peter the butcher 01 Sep 14 17:30 Joined: 12 Mar 02 | Topic/replies: 37,769 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Whichever way you look at it United have shown they can still attract the top players and without Champions League football.

courtesy of the doc pete i believe?

"90% of footballers want to play for Manchester United, the other 10% are liars.
Report Biscuit1979 September 1, 2014 6:43 PM BST
So you've splashed out the best part of 150m on 3 left sided defenders, an attacking midfielder who doesn't fit the manager's 352 system and now a striker on his way back from injury that you didn't really need.

The 2 signings you did need, an imposing Vidic type centre back and a tough tackling box to box Keane type midfielder are still nowhere to be seen.

Who is making these decisions?
Report duffy September 1, 2014 6:43 PM BST
The five behind him will be far more solid, their will be less call for mata to be doing anything other working the ball through the gaps that he did so well for chelsea....its gone poorly for him so far....he won't get a better chance than this now.
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 6:44 PM BST
Course he will, Duffy. Has to provide cover in front of and with Rafael. Playing that wide doesn't suit him.
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 6:46 PM BST
Mata's lack of versatility and athleticism is fast becoming a problem.
Report ours4keeps September 1, 2014 6:49 PM BST
Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern, Real, Barca, Atletico, Juve and Milan have all spent significant sums on new strikers this summer. The fact that they all decided against Falcao is interesting. Talk from the principality was that he was more interested in living the high life and having trips home than giving 110%. Was quality at Atleti but if anyone thinks you're getting a fully committed top of his game player who loves the club is in for a shock.

Tick tock.
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 6:50 PM BST
I only wish we had gone for a fully committed model pro like Balotelli Plain
Report ours4keeps September 1, 2014 6:52 PM BST
Difference is Mario's career is in front of him I suppose.
Report duffy September 1, 2014 6:53 PM BST
I agree ozy, he isn't the best when he has to rat about in a struggling side, but there's no reason he can't be accommodated in a far more solid side, united will be that now....just like when he couldn't stop scoring and creating for chelsea before mourinho came in and turned him away because he didn't like a player that despite scoring and creating, wanted him ratting about also....that ruined him.
Report Ozymandius September 1, 2014 7:00 PM BST
I am kinda surprised that people assume having the likes of Rafael and Shaw as FB's, and Rojo +1 in CD will lead to solidity.  It will be helter skelter at best I imagine.

You have to 'rat' about in the position you are proposing.  If Mata is a goal scorer/creator maybe he should play at 10 behind a striker...but he can't cos even there pace is helpful.  he is a strange one imo.
Report 11kv September 1, 2014 7:04 PM BST
Wow,hope United fans have deep pockets,this is spiralling out of control this Woodward fella must be on commission.
Report degsy42 September 1, 2014 7:07 PM BST
please tell me hes not on 350k a week , football is out of control
Report duffy September 1, 2014 7:07 PM BST
Christ Ozy, I hope he doesn't ever have cause to read anything you write about him, he'll head for the nearest medicine cabinet to end it allGrin
Report spyker September 1, 2014 7:09 PM BST
£6m and 50k a day and can be bought for another £45m or thereabouts - shrewd business for someone involved esp as the deal going round last week seems to have been £8m and buy on for about £35m + wages. I presume the figs are wrong and will be corrected by UTD soon -  mind you not being in the Ch league always makes deals like this more expensive for the club paying for it. I can't think why all the other clubs turned down the 'Sale (sic) of the Century'.
Report Bergkamp93 September 1, 2014 7:12 PM BST
Radamel Falcao will earn an incredible £346,000 per week at Manchester United!

Shocked

Now UTD is going to have the Dilemma of Rooney crying for more money as he can't be having anyone at the club earning more than him ???
Report bbc2 September 1, 2014 7:13 PM BST
no problem just sell toady
Report 11kv September 1, 2014 7:14 PM BST
ffs,how does that fit in with financial fair play.......

He aint that good either   Mischief
Report patrick starr September 1, 2014 7:25 PM BST
ABU's in a soapy lather about united!LoveGrin

We only need the bedwetter to make an appearance and the full set will have visited today.
Report Bergkamp93 September 1, 2014 7:27 PM BST
Over 600k getting handed out in wages on just 2 players a week Scared
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now