Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 3 people viewing this thread.
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 47,031 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report Ozymandius July 13, 2016 9:44 AM BST
I tend to agree, though he suprisingly looked quite sprightly at the Euros. And started well for us last season.  And appears the only natural leader in our team.  whilst he has lost gears, perhaps his experience can compensate in a largely inexperience team.  a hope rather than an expectation; far from convinced.
Report neill d July 13, 2016 5:22 PM BST
Outside of the elite of Ronaldo, Mrssi, Neymar, Suarez and Bale.

All things considered, if there was any player I could sign. It would be Verrati.

Italy were a little toothless up front, but might have gone a lot further had they Marchisio and Verrati.
Report the_don July 16, 2016 8:16 PM BST
Good to see Luke Shaw back playing today v Wigan, sure he'll need a fair few games before he's fully fit.

Looking forward to the tour games which will obviously be tougher. Interesting to see which of the centre backs will step up to the plate and which impress the manager as Smalling is suspended for the start of the season.
Report anxious July 16, 2016 10:50 PM BST
Is that a 1 or 3 game ban for smalling
Report the_don July 16, 2016 11:14 PM BST
Just 1 game but he's not guaranteed to be a 1st choice starter so might have to fight his way back into the team.
Report grumpyjim July 17, 2016 12:01 PM BST
soon see any improvement ..if its going better .. ?no way can it get worse ..
nobody breaking the bank to spend extra cash this season ??..
Report HarmonicaPhil July 17, 2016 5:34 PM BST
I agree about Veratti.A much better option than Pogba
Report Ozymandius July 18, 2016 10:35 PM BST
Smalling is a guaranteed starter.
Report neill d July 19, 2016 5:33 PM BST
Shaw returned to his best for what could be half of an excellent back 4. New right back is badly needed, though. Thought they might move on Dani Alves as despite the wages, the deal would probably still have made a lot of sense commercially. The athleticism of Bailly and Smalling in the middle meant we might have got away with him going the other way.

Don't know anything about the kid from Monaco.

My (and what I think Jose will do too coincidentally!) guaranteed starters from what we have would be below.

Would like to mention as well that with the arrival of a big player like Ibra and Pogba on the way, the acknowledgement of Martial as an elite level talent, and the bounless promise of Rashford, politically there has never been a better time to ease Rooney away from centre-stage. I think Jose will take the opportunity to do this as I don't think Rooney's skill set matches well with what Mourinho will want.

GK DeGea

RB ?
CB Bailly
CB Smalling
LB Shaw (was best player at the club before injury.)

DM ?
CM Pogba

LW Martial
AM Mikh
RW Rashford/Rooney with Mikh moving wider

CF Ibra/ or Ibra w Rash or Rash alone when Ibra is rested.
Report neill d July 19, 2016 5:34 PM BST
Expecting 20 EPL goals from Martial this season.
Report neill d July 19, 2016 6:30 PM BST
Don't think any of the young guys who didn't make the 25 can have many complaints. Training there young enough.

Be interesting to see what happens with Janusaj, whatever it is I hope he gets the chance to play through the middle somewhere.

Fosu-Mensah and Borthwick Jackson (who I didn't like at first, but can now see past the languid gait) are the two break outs if there are going to be any.m BJ offers a nice contrast to Shaw at LB, haven't seen much of FM, thought he was a full-baack that could cover midfield.

Space at RB as Varela is nowhere near good enough and never will be.
Report neill d July 19, 2016 6:30 PM BST
Training there long enough*
Report anxious July 20, 2016 10:46 PM BST
L"equipe tonight report Juventus have accepted 100 milion bid for Paul Pogba from Manchester United. Shocked
Report knavesmire007 July 20, 2016 10:56 PM BST
So much money around in the EPL now,£100m is becoming irrevelant.
He's a top midfielder so sign him on!He fills the midfield position well.Needs another 10 players around him to make a good team.
Report neill d July 21, 2016 2:53 PM BST
I think someone like Blind could look a real player next to him in midfield, cover for his lack of dynamism.
Report neill d July 21, 2016 2:54 PM BST
Awful pity to miss out on Kante, archetypal Mourinho midfielder, probably an agent thing as I'd say he was definitely interested.
Report ufcdan July 23, 2016 12:54 PM BST
Pete bell me when u get a chance. Phones crashed lost all my numbers
Report easyrider69 July 23, 2016 2:16 PM BST
So Juve sign Higuain for 78 million Crazy

So im guessing Pogba will follow suit to Utd for more crazy money

The world has gone madWink
Report OnePercenter July 23, 2016 5:07 PM BST
The big conundrum is where is he going to fit Ibra, Rooney & Rashford?

Rashford has all the tricks and is fast enough to be a good winger. Like Martial he can always cut in and likes a shot.

Ibra can only play CF. He wasn't signed as a utility player. So is Rooney, the club captain, going to play from the bench & when Ibra is injured/rested.
Report HarmonicaPhil July 23, 2016 5:59 PM BST
The only way Juve could pay that money is by selling Pogba
Must be a done deal
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 23, 2016 6:06 PM BST
Must be done now, unless one of the big boys jumps in.

See Mourinho was pretty unequivocal in praising Rooney as his skipper. Will be interesting who lines up alongside him.
Report OnePercenter July 23, 2016 6:20 PM BST
Not too sure Pogba is enough to win the league. Jose needs to get the defence rock solid. I hope he gets the centrebacks, whoever they be, to practice hitting Row Z
Report the_don July 24, 2016 9:38 AM BST
Assuming 2 players for each position this is how I think the squad may look (just my opinion) . Obviously several players can play in different positions:

GK: de Gea, Romero

RB: Darmian, Fosu-Mensah
LB: Shaw, Borthwick-Jackson
CB: Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Blind

CM: Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera, AN OTHER.
CAM/No.10: Rooney, Mikhitaryan
RW: Young, Januzaj
LW: Martial, Depay

CF:Ibrahimovic, Rashford

SOLD/RELEASED: Valencia, Rojo, Schweinsteiger, Fellaini, Mata.

AN OTHER widely reported as being Pogba. I've probably missed out a player or 2.

I think we still need another quality centre back.
Report salmon spray July 24, 2016 10:21 AM BST
Has Lingard gone ?
Report OnePercenter July 24, 2016 10:24 AM BST
You are right we need another quality centreback as Blind is only a centreback LvG's imagination. Ryan Shawcross?

I hope with proper direction from Jose that Fellaini, Schneiderlin & Januzaj can become a useful squad members.

Jose has already said Rooney plays upfront so it would seem it's Ibra/Rooney for the centreforward role with Rashford taking a wing.

Memphis Depay needs to be moved on as do Valencia, Rojo, Schweinsteiger.
Report the_don July 24, 2016 12:50 PM BST
Lingard!
I knew I'd missed out at least one.

I'd give Depay another season, mostly I've put to keep the quicker, more mobile players - most of those on the 'out' list are older or slower (or both). It's all about opinions of course.
Report grumpyjim July 24, 2016 6:53 PM BST
Jose not a big squad normally reckon .........  23 . .................saves too much back biting..... , and less to argue with I suppose ..
reports he has spoken to mata and  gives him a run or two to see  if he fits in ..?
end of the road for many as sent to other destinations for the season ..
more difficult to ;look forward to the season after the last manager looked within a hairsbreadth of pulling  it off .. ? ..before p45 loomed ..  /////////
on way out  Schweinsteiger ..Rojo  ..Darmian ....a report from shanghai ?
Uncertain ..Mata   ,,Depay ..Januzaj ..Young .................??
ACCURACY ..POGBA ..83PERCENT ..THATS WHY HE IS A RATHER EXPENSIVE PURCHASE NOW ..
Mata  top performer scored 6 made five assists ..in 2,898 mins ...?frenchman .. 8 goals   12 assists in 3,019  mins ..HERE IS SOME PROOF IN PUDDING .??83 percent  was beaten by NINE  UNITED MIDFIELDERS .. ??
not looking forward to the season somehow ...
Report sofiakenny July 24, 2016 10:52 PM BST
me neither grumpy..boredom rules
Report grumpyjim July 25, 2016 6:14 AM BST
great to hear from you kenny . not a lot going for us at the moment   ..
JOSE will make a lot of decisions out in open before they come back ...and any flack has died dpwn ...
Report sofiakenny July 25, 2016 11:51 AM BST
aye jim..see oor pal is now managing "the red lichties"
Report grumpyjim July 25, 2016 3:16 PM BST
good he is back in a job well qualified but never got a real chance on his own at a bigger club ..  ..
ayr looks difficult again                   today .. ..giving up for the day .. footies off in china .. brilliant game less again .. we need to get rid of T.V.  ... IN SUMMER CLOSING .. STAY HOME   .
Report OnePercenter July 26, 2016 8:57 AM BST
Seems to be some intransigence on the Pogba deal. Reports that in Pogba's contact his agent is due 20% of any future transfer fee and Juve want United to pay that on top of £100m. LOL. Think it is time United moved on to their second choice.
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 26, 2016 9:11 AM BST
Think Juve have been a bit hasty in moving for Higuain. Utd could bargain the price down a bit now if they're clever.
Report themover July 26, 2016 5:46 PM BST
Laugh...they've just asked United to cover the costs of the agent
Report themover July 26, 2016 5:56 PM BST

How about for £11 million a year?

Errrr ok

Laugh
Report OnePercenter July 26, 2016 5:57 PM BST
Didn't City pay Wayne Bridge's agent's fees? How did that work out?

United should set them a deadline and be prepared to walk away.
Report themover July 26, 2016 5:57 PM BST

Jul 26, 2016 -- 5:57PM, OnePercenter wrote:

The contents of this post have been hidden for this blocked user.               

[Manage blocked users]

The contents of this post have been hidden for this blocked user.

I'm sure it was interesting though

Report OnePercenter July 26, 2016 6:50 PM BST
He's a pretend City Fan, pretend ex-pat and now the forum's most childish troll is pretending to block me Laugh
Report easyrider69 July 26, 2016 6:55 PM BST
i have to say One Percenter ive thought about blocking you too and im a utd fan Laugh
Report neill d July 26, 2016 6:58 PM BST
The thought that the more proven Kante moved for 1/3 of price, I find crazy. probably with another agent so couldn't move on him, he would've been an amazing signing at that money.

Probably could afford Mahrez, Vardy and Kante for the money being talked about with Pogba. Much as I rate Pogba as a top player who will thrive in the EPL.
Report 11kv July 26, 2016 6:59 PM BST
Different game in England at the price he will be a poor buy imo..............
Report easyrider69 July 26, 2016 7:00 PM BST
sure its only money Neil  ExcitedCrazy
Report neill d July 26, 2016 7:01 PM BST
What would Spurs want for Eric Dier, if we are looking at alternatives, bar Iceland game, Dier reminded me a lot of Carrick, even though I don't really like Carrick.
Report neill d July 26, 2016 7:01 PM BST
True lads, and not ours so who gives a ffck!
Report neill d July 26, 2016 7:02 PM BST
Dier probably a bit similar to Blind, who from the leaked tactics board, Mourinho thankfully sees as a sitting midfielder.
Report OnePercenter July 26, 2016 7:54 PM BST
Can't say I've ever noticed you before easyrider69 so block away.
Report easyrider69 July 26, 2016 8:00 PM BST
Aw OnePerceneter us fellow irishmen would never block each other but we would recognise banter Crazy
Report OnePercenter July 26, 2016 8:01 PM BST
Kante shone in a different role for Leicester. We have to trust Jose's judgement.

Plus this is a statement purchase: United are still one of the biggest clubs in the world even if they have been crap for 3 years.
Report duffy July 27, 2016 1:01 AM BST
Kante and Dier are both water carriers, Pogba is going to be the guy you carry the water to.!!
Report easyrider69 July 27, 2016 8:08 PM BST
and for that money BALE would "flood" the premiership - pogba more a watering can Wink
Report OnePercenter July 28, 2016 10:19 AM BST
Everyone is a water carrier for the players who put the ball in the net.

This Pogba deal is taking far too long. Doubt there is enough time now to properly integrate him into the side before the Bournemouth game. Maybe Jose thinks the side can get by until the City game. Wouldn't worry me one little bit if it fell through.
Report 11kv July 28, 2016 5:08 PM BST
Real Madrid>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...
Report OnePercenter July 28, 2016 6:48 PM BST
When you are going for supposedly great players then you are always going to be competing with the world's biggest clubs. Hence the knock-out transfer fee being paid.
Report easyrider69 July 29, 2016 9:38 AM BST
20 years ago today Ole Gunnar solskjaer signed for 1.5 million --- compared to reports the the Pogba will sign today for 100 million

Crazy
Report OnePercenter July 29, 2016 11:02 AM BST
The games finances have changed beyond recognition. The game is all about money. Sky TV money, BT TV money, mega rich foreign owners & in United's case sponsorship money coming out of their ears.

The Pogba signing is just the start. United have to buy real quality every summer and to do they they are going to have to pay well over the odds. The owners know without continued success their brand suffers and so do their finances. They didn't know they were born when SAF was the manager Crazy
Report the.mad.dog.man July 29, 2016 1:30 PM BST
all that money just trying to buy success i will pmsl every time they dont win
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 29, 2016 1:32 PM BST
Well that'll be awkward down the pub.
Report anxious July 29, 2016 4:30 PM BST
Borthwick-jackson and fosu- mensah  are amongst those who Jose is apparently ready to say bye bye to, wtf is that all about Plain
Report easyrider69 July 29, 2016 4:31 PM BST
its called the press trying to prove he doesnt do youth - anxious
those two at worst will go out on loan
Report anxious July 29, 2016 4:34 PM BST
Well easyrider i do hope your right because there can be no justification for letting them go and keeping rubbish like rojo and darmian
Report easyrider69 July 29, 2016 4:45 PM BST
like you id get rid of two you mention and keep the other two...but they didnt travel to gothenburg so somethings up.
Report anxious July 29, 2016 4:50 PM BST
Fosu- mensah injured i now read somewhere
Report OnePercenter July 29, 2016 6:22 PM BST
What do the press really know and what is just click-bait?

Personally I think young players need game time rather than sitting on the bench or in the stands so I would loan out all those who realistically aren't going to get regular game time. If they are good they will prove it.
Report rommel July 29, 2016 7:02 PM BST

Jul 29, 2016 -- 4:34PM, anxious wrote:

Well easyrider i do hope your right because there can be no justification for letting them go and keeping rubbish like rojo and darmian

this guy knows just slightly more than f*** all

Report themover July 29, 2016 9:38 PM BST
Laugh
Report anxious July 29, 2016 10:40 PM BST
again we have the scouse dope and the bluenose contributing feck all
Report Capt__F July 29, 2016 11:54 PM BST
1 per center talking off the rails literally
Report grumpyjim July 30, 2016 6:24 AM BST
call this............ROUND 3  .OF 15 .......before.....we have a manager ..............who puts a working unit together  ...............to play this very tricky game ..??
LEICESTER a  breath of fresh air for peanuts ..
not be back to THE THEATRE of failure for a long spell .. All out of CONTROL .. NOW  and a poor product to BOOT ... Trouble is fans need to support this as that is the required  ///to do //element ...?..
dont fancy MANCS LAND ..BUT MONEY IS GOOD ........I CAN KISS THE JERSEY FOR A BIT ..OF THAT LOVELY LOLLY ..???..sign me in .. please .. AGENT .. ??
think wrongly ?? its a go at SAF ..   MAYBE NOT  but can think that way ..?
Report grumpyjim July 30, 2016 6:25 AM BST
p.s.  will still buy the JERSEY ..AS  most likely  help to pay .  this lot ..??
Report grumpyjim July 30, 2016 6:43 AM BST
Half A  Century ......   TODAY  .................no sign of every winning a world CUP AT MOMENT ,..  for  ...the great .. BRITAIN   AND  NORTHERN IRELAND ,,   MAYBE TIME TO JOIN TOGETHER TO UNITE A TEAM THAT CAN   Maybe ..WIN .. IN FUTURE .. JUST A THOUGHT .. ...
LOTTERY FUNDING HAS HELPED A LOT . I   SUPPOSE ANOTHER LOST CAUSE .. ..UNITED IN VERY LITTLE ..??
Report rommel July 30, 2016 1:41 PM BST

Jul 29, 2016 -- 10:40PM, anxious wrote:

again we have the scouse dope and the bluenose contributing feck all

keep chewing that maggotLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Report Tony67 July 30, 2016 2:00 PM BST
Report HarmonicaPhil July 30, 2016 4:06 PM BST
If Fosu-Mensah and Borthwick Jackson are on the way out then Mourinho will be realising all my fears about him even earlier than expected.Also names that should be the first on the list for the door and dont seem to be are Valencia and Young
There will be trouble ahead I fear
Report olddesperado July 30, 2016 5:11 PM BST
Afternoon all,

Slightly awkward for Ferguson tony, Laugh.

There is so much media , books etc nowadays that i doubt anyone takes offence over quotes from the past,

Or should,nt anyway.
Report olddesperado July 30, 2016 5:20 PM BST
Phil,  You cant be sure its not just the press stirring up things but if true its worrying alright.

Wilson , Varela, Janazuj, borthwick jackson, Mcnair, fosu mensu,   the names i keep hearing he wants to either get shot or loan out.

All young players with potential that he should be trying to get minutes into imo.

League cup, ropey league would give him plenty of chances to give them experiance along side a few different regulars each match.

Anyway probably all bullsh1t as jose should be wise enough to not alienate a group of fans too early.
Report anxious July 30, 2016 5:49 PM BST
erm i would not be backing us tonight against the Turks  1-3 is a nonsense 9-1 galatasary Shocked
Report Velasquez July 30, 2016 5:59 PM BST
Tony67 - Laugh
Report anxious July 30, 2016 6:48 PM BST
1-0 Zlatan
Report anxious July 30, 2016 7:15 PM BST
2-1 galatasary
Report Ozymandius July 30, 2016 7:16 PM BST
Shaw carrying some timber.  Looks like a beach ball.
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 7:17 PM BST
What the Utd Team sheet Anx, please and thanks...??
Report anxious July 30, 2016 7:19 PM BST
i dont know 11 im not watching it , give me a min and ill try to find out , think its a strong team
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 7:22 PM BST
OK thanks says its on MUTV which I canna find a decent stream for......
Report anxious July 30, 2016 7:22 PM BST
de gea , valencia, baily , blind , shaw , morgan , herrera, rooney , martial, mitrykahan , zlatan
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 7:23 PM BST
ok thanks for that yes looks like a strongish team...
Report anxious July 30, 2016 7:24 PM BST
2-1 half time
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 7:33 PM BST
http://www.time4tv.com/2013/12/mu-tv.php
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 7:50 PM BST
2-2 Wooney
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 7:52 PM BST
utd pen stand by
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 7:52 PM BST
3-2 Wooney again
Report anxious July 30, 2016 7:53 PM BST
Excited
Report anxious July 30, 2016 7:56 PM BST
4-2
Report anxious July 30, 2016 7:56 PM BST
who scored
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 7:57 PM BST
Wig Header
Report anxious July 30, 2016 8:09 PM BST
5-2
Report 11kv July 30, 2016 8:09 PM BST
Mata
Report OnePercenter July 30, 2016 8:41 PM BST
I reliably informed that the F in Capt F stands for F**kwit.
Report OnePercenter July 30, 2016 8:49 PM BST
Even though Rooney scored a brace I hope Jose Picks Rashford ahead of him this season. We were losing tonight until he came on. His pace and trickery creates space for others.
Report olddesperado July 30, 2016 10:45 PM BST
Early days and only a friendly but the contrast from last season is striking.

A lot more purpose and directness quiet evident.

I read a quote from either rooney or herrera last week where they said the same that while jose wanted possession he didnt want it just for possession sake, he wanted them to move it forward and create.

While the youth thing is worrying at least the style looks to be on the up.
Report olddesperado July 30, 2016 10:47 PM BST
Agree with that 1%,

Every top team needs pace up front.

Any defender will say its the one thing that worries them.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now