Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 43,939 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 2:02 PM BST
lest we forget pandyLaugh
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:02 PM BST
Ed is currently on urgent transfer business. Might be selling though.....Confused
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 2:03 PM BST
united have spent 8 million peter
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:06 PM BST
Have faith in Ed, he's a monster negotiator.

With Ed its a case of he who blinks first. Would you take this man on?

Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:08 PM BST
One of our lads got into the post match press conference with LVG. He was supposed to ask the manager if he knew who the leader of the ICJ was but he bottled out after the seeing the heavy duty security staff Laugh
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 2:09 PM BST
Ed negotiating:
http://goo.gl/j3egjh
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:11 PM BST
Pandy LaughLaugh
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:12 PM BST
I heard he was looking at Anderson.... maybe we have bought out the Akbar kebab chain and he wants a rise in share prices
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 2:23 PM BST
Do we know which country he's in?
Spain or Germany?
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 2:24 PM BST
nice to know eds still aliveGrin
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 2:28 PM BST
i am told eds stopped wearing pants as he is fed up with players taking his pants down
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:30 PM BST
Allegedly the qualification for the CL has reminded Ed we need three new players Grin

I have no idea which country he is in, Sandra who cleans out the Jet 2 planes said she hadn't got time to look at the flight destination plan.
Report anxious August 28, 2015 2:35 PM BST
paul massey funeral today peter?
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:47 PM BST
yes
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:48 PM BST
Horse and cart with "Salford Legend" in flowers at the side
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:56 PM BST
United shirts with his name on the back, replica CL trophy and red white and black floral displays all over the place. Big turnout both at the church and on the route. White coffin on a white hearse.
Report anxious August 28, 2015 2:58 PM BST
good to hear that nice turnout
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 2:59 PM BST
I hear there was a big turnout at Neville Neville's funeral too.

Haven't seen who attended yet but I presume the likes of Sir Alex and the class of 92 were all there.
Report anxious August 28, 2015 3:00 PM BST
yeah fergie, scholes,giggs , butt , beckham
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 3:00 PM BST
Yes it was anxious, not a place to be in today if you are on the "wrong side"
Report anxious August 28, 2015 3:00 PM BST
big sam, mike summerbee
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 3:02 PM BST
Excellent, nice to hear that Summerbee was there
Report anxious August 28, 2015 3:02 PM BST
oh no for sure , knew a few guys who knew him said he would help you if in trouble
Report themover August 28, 2015 3:27 PM BST

Aug 28, 2015 -- 1:45PM, peter the butcher wrote:

Breaking transfer news- City have bid 100m for a place in United's CL group

United 10/11 to win their group
City 6/5 to win their group

City would be 1/2 if they had United's group Grin

Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 3:30 PM BST
Touche
Report anxious August 28, 2015 3:31 PM BST
do you fancy moscow peter
Report anxious August 28, 2015 3:32 PM BST
get you warm hat on Laugh
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 3:34 PM BST
Solano - if you're looking in.
Another mystifying performance from the lads from the south coast last night.
"How can they be so leggy and lethargic compared to normal when it's only their 4th game?" a commentator muses.
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 3:34 PM BST
I fancy it but not sure we are going. You need a bloody visa and they are saying we would have to go to Edinburgh to have a fingerprint taken and there are all sorts of red tape involved.

We can't get insured for our trip because we already know we will be targetted so its a right box of frogs. Think we would have to do it ourselves, United won't run a trip either I suspect
Report themover August 28, 2015 3:35 PM BST
I haven't seen much of PSV lately so no idea what they are like without Depay, but I do remember City going to Ajax as big favourites and not doing too well Blush
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 3:35 PM BST
What you saying Pandy? Has their supplier let them down for this season?
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 3:36 PM BST
I think its 50-50 that United progress from our group. We need to do far better than we have shown up to now
Report themover August 28, 2015 3:40 PM BST
2014/2015    Wed 05 Nov    Man. City    1 - 2    CSKA Moscow    Champions League 
                Tue 21 Oct    CSKA Moscow    2 - 2    Man. City    Champions League 
2013/2014    Tue 05 Nov    Man. City    5 - 2    CSKA Moscow    Champions League 
                Wed 23 Oct    CSKA Moscow    1 - 2    Man. City    Champions League

Plain
Report grumpyjim August 28, 2015 3:42 PM BST
some names banded about ..not for me ........... I threw away bits I didnt like........... in a LUCKY BAG ...
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 3:43 PM BST
No. I think the likelihood is that you'll see a much livelier Southampton in games to come. I haven't looked but I'd imagine that they're a fairly streaky sort of team, with clustered wins and losses.
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 3:46 PM BST
borrow air force one peterGrin
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:03 PM BST
Lol beeb
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:03 PM BST
No sign of tick?
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:05 PM BST
Actually I think he was on a tight schedule, had to be back quickly to get a flight to go on holiday or something.

To be hoped he wasn't one of the 57 that got locked up
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 4:08 PM BST
Justice for the Heinz
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:09 PM BST
Laugh
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:10 PM BST
Won't be long before our new number 9 comes in Pandy. Just when Wayne had finally played well.....
Report grumpyjim August 28, 2015 4:10 PM BST
you not feel  save PETER heading for EDINBURGH .. for finger printing ...will come and make sure you are safe ... take it your back in one piece no sores  Falling over anything like that  ... will rope the monster in as well ..MAK SICCAR  >>>  sure you are O.K....TAKE CARE >> ..older every DAY ..??
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 4:11 PM BST
Andy Cole?
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 4:12 PM BST
we wont sign anybody now
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 4:12 PM BST
Oh ye of little faith and many rumours
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 4:13 PM BST
think we have a long list of midfielders we might sign
Report anxious August 28, 2015 4:15 PM BST
januzai out of swansea game injured
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 4:15 PM BST
Draxler?
Schalke have just picked up someone on loan for the season - but he's not a No 9.
Well I'm sure he can wear a number 9 but that's not the point
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:24 PM BST
Lol Jim Grin

I'm fine in Edinburgh but thanks for the offer. Its the hassle of going there and all the bureaucracy for Moscow that isn't great.
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 4:24 PM BST
what do you think of a team that gets shot of falcao and rvp and doesnt sign replacements
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:26 PM BST
Ed trying to get shot of a couple of our decent players before Tuesday. Not sure if its because he wants to balance the books or just to give him more money as he gets increasingly desperate. Players he could have had for 42m might now cost him 55m etc
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 4:29 PM BST
think he may be lynched by the ot faithfull
Report themover August 28, 2015 4:37 PM BST
Bale has thanked the Real Madrid fans for their support...not sure where he got that idea from though Laugh...De Gea one way, Bale the other seems United's last remaining option Tongue Out
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:43 PM BST
Wink
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 4:47 PM BST
If Ed gets his way it will be a very interesting few days
Report Solano1 August 28, 2015 4:49 PM BST
Faithful. Laugh
Report Solano1 August 28, 2015 4:51 PM BST
Saw that, Pando.

Bit of a conundrum?
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 4:57 PM BST
I think they'll get their legs back soon enough Sol. Large, seemingly inexplicable, peaks and troughs of energy are to be expected. Plain
Report Solano1 August 28, 2015 5:00 PM BST
Long haul flight, imo.
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 5:02 PM BST
They've looked like a Division 1/ Championship team in their first 5 games - which is perhaps less surprising than it should be.
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 5:05 PM BST
5 years ago they finished 51st in the league, since when they've sold all their best players.
It's quite an achievement that they've been able to hang on to their league status.
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 5:32 PM BST
Can't be all down to the extra help surely. The thing that puzzles me is why players who have left haven't told their new clubs or do they not know what they were given?
Report Solano1 August 28, 2015 5:40 PM BST
Perhaps, in some cases, their new clubs are wondering.

Na, got to be the Europa.  Spurs have started rather flat too. Plain
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 5:41 PM BST
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Spurs and/or Southampton are doing well its because of the help, if they aren't doing well its because of the lack of help??? Only playing devils advocate but...
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 5:45 PM BST
I would guess a combination of factors. I know Paul Merson has mentioned taking pills at Arsenal without asking what they were. Older German players didn't go public after they had doped, not for years after their careers had ended anyway.
Then also, exactly as in cycling Pete. Cyclists changed teams all the time. But they said nothing publicly.
If there was a whistle-blower they'd need to be bullet proof, having not used anything themselves, at the end of the career with no interest in having anything to do with football ever again, and they'd have to have evidence.
Football is exactly where cycling was in the 90s.

What I can not believe is that the game is clean when the testing is sh1te and the rewards are so great. It flies in the face of history.
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 5:48 PM BST
Lance Armstrong, (of all people), said that top Spanish football teams through politicians put pressure on the judiciary to have the names of dopers in the Fuentes case destroyed.
Admittedly he's full of sh1t but in this case he stands to gain nothing and I tend to believe him.
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 5:51 PM BST
I accept that players will be taking stuff but not sure I buy the fact a club does it. Or the manager arranges for his players to be given stuff.

Surely every player wouldn't agree to it and some would be very unhappy about it. These things aren't kept private for too long.

Maybe some players do it independently and then persuade others to do it and you end up with that culture in the dressing room
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 5:54 PM BST
Spurs publicly said they were spinning blood - that's a mm away from blood doping under WADA rules.
In reality, it's blood doping.
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 5:56 PM BST
Are there any stats available re Spurs and Saints pre Pochett?
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 5:56 PM BST
A very common approach within cycling teams was for a lead cyclist or team manager to take a lad to one side and say, "Look. We need more from you to stay in the team. Can you do it? Speak to the Doc."
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 5:57 PM BST
can we juice up waynettaGrin
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 5:58 PM BST
I'm sure there are. Opta?
I know that in an interview last year Poc was very proud of his team covering 2 miles more per game than other teams.
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 6:00 PM BST
football is not a race
Report egner August 28, 2015 6:01 PM BST
...oh dear.....fruitloop conspiracy theories abound....who would have thought on this of all threads......madness.
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 6:02 PM BST
Erm... no.
Neither is fcking weightlifting.
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 6:04 PM BST
I agree there Eg.
It's a position I'm really uncomfortable with.
Report egner August 28, 2015 6:09 PM BST
...don't worry Pandorica....lets use semantics to get back to normal......

..a bit of "conjecture" is all it is......Wink
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 6:15 PM BST
And Spurs have said that they took blood from players, spun it, and reintroduced the PRP to the players system.
That to any lay person would amount to blood doping, regardless of WADA rules.
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 6:21 PM BST
This is interesting Pandy, it even talks about the Pochettino efect

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11447225/Revealed-the-Premier-Leagues-fittest-player.html
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 6:23 PM BST
you can make stats fit your argument but its a surprise that Southampton team are in 8th position and Spurs nowhere in terms of how much their players have run in games this season
Report peter the butcher August 28, 2015 6:24 PM BST
Burnley must have nicked their supplier and shared him with City Devil
Report egner August 28, 2015 6:32 PM BST
Yes they have spun....with regard to injuries only.......to speed recovery from an injury....quite a few times under AVB so even before Poch.

They have been open about it so presumably it is a treatment within the current rules...bordering on dubious though as you say.

If Spurs are using it and havnt been sanctioned you can be sure other Prem teams are also using it to speed recoveries from injury......perhaps all of them.

.....whether Spurs use the same technique week in week out as a matter of course in preparing the whole team for a game I don't know....
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 6:33 PM BST
I think Spurs are a concern because of their admission. Chelsea did the same thing I think. Any club could be doing it.

Southampton - well if they were a cyclist they'd be looking at targeted testing, no question.
Report egner August 28, 2015 6:39 PM BST
oh...and I wont get into it on this thread......this isn't the place...

...but balance of probability....historical precedent.......lax/non existent accountability.....high rewards...

...they can be applied to any conspiracy theory....sorry conjecture.....on any subject.
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 6:42 PM BST
That's the problem eggie. No-one knows for certain and current testing in football is a fcking joke.
The FA report that they tested 2286 times in 2015-16 and found 9 violations which I think were all for "social" rather than performance enhancing drugs. If that number of tests was restricted to only the league clubs, which it isn't - it amounts to 25 tests per year per club (and this was the most they've ever tested). So for the sake of argument a player gets tested once a year.
In 2013 Chris Froome was tested 19 times over a 21 day period.
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 6:44 PM BST
egner • August 28, 2015 6:39 PM BST

...but balance of probability....historical precedent.......lax/non existent accountability.....high rewards...

...they can be applied to any conspiracy theory....sorry conjecture.....on any subject.

No they can't. But that's by the by.
Report egner August 28, 2015 6:54 PM BST
..they absolutely can Pandorica...

...and you obviously know what I am talking about so I wont labour the point here.....

...suffice to say they are reasonable questions that have yet to be answered with any coherence or clarity.
Report bbc2 August 28, 2015 7:05 PM BST
mr evans sold to wba for 6 million plus 2 million add ons
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 7:27 PM BST
****g bollocks.
Grin
Report Pandorica August 28, 2015 7:28 PM BST
Not you beeb. I'd have sold Evans the day after Balotelli danced past him.
Report 56 August 28, 2015 7:43 PM BST
sad to see evans go ; better than jones, rojo and mcnair. Strange position centre back - get good protection and you look a world beater ; no protection and you look a stump. Blind and Smalling benefiting from scheidelin now but looked average the other night when he was not playing.
Report the_don August 28, 2015 8:32 PM BST
The spitting incident with Cisse has cost Evans, he's hardly featured since. I feel he's had enough chances over the past few years to cement his place as a 1st choice centre back and has never fully convinced.

Agree on the point re Schneiderlin protecting the back 4 but also feel that our full backs are the best we've had for a while and Smalling has improved defensively a lot over the last 10 months or so.
Report olddesperado August 28, 2015 9:10 PM BST
Evans never really progressed , he looked good along side a domineering partner like vidic but looked an accident waiting along side anyone else,

On the other hand smalling has not looked back since the sending off against city,
I think he might have thought that was his united career over and knuckled down finally realising how close he was to an exit.
When he got a chance through others injuries he took it and has,nt looked back .

Jones needs to do the same now because i,d say he is close to joining evans through the door.
Concentration seems to be an issue for him as he makes too many last ditch tackles than should be necessary.

It is good that the serial underperformers are being shown the door though,
Report the_don August 28, 2015 9:57 PM BST
Yep, when LVG arrived Jones and Smalling  were probably at similar stages, Smalling has come on and if he was better on the ball he'd be a top class defender.

The best defenders never seem to be sliding around or flying into challenges, mainly because they're in the right position to start with.  The crunching tackles might get the crowd going but also contribute to free-kicks, penalties, yellow /red cards and of course injuries, which Jones seems to get on a regular basis.
Report peter the butcher August 29, 2015 12:05 AM BST
So Di Maria who didn't want to be here plus players who couldn't get into the team have paid for Depay, Romero, Darmian, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger. I reckon Ed has done ok.

He's not finished yet, expect at least one more player to leave and maybe upto three. Still hoping Ed can bring in a huge signing or two, one thing is for certain he's trying hard to make it happen. He just happens to be useless in football matters relative to his skill in getting huge sponsorships. We couldn't care less about the sponsors.
Report peter the butcher August 29, 2015 12:12 AM BST
Lot depends on De Gea situation
Report olddesperado August 29, 2015 2:12 AM BST
Peter,Peter,Peter.
Ed must have had some effect on you that time you met him.
I know about the photo op but you still think he will do something big for us ?.
I can say here now despite a decent window so far  nothing else of importance will happen.
I'm saying this btw a bit like pbk backs against Chelsea hoping to look foolish.
Report olddesperado August 29, 2015 2:17 AM BST
Btw I can't let this go but I know the united away support are the proper fans but why was there chants of Rooney Rooney after his hatrick.
I thought the aways were on the same level as us.?
Report grumpyjim August 29, 2015 4:18 AM BST
add   on....   Sale of players ...is learning process or what ... at our level you sell thats what happens ... ??you buy you go in and sort it out no ifs or buts ...we have had some clear out and yet still a good few in the revolving door for sure .Getting stuck in thats what we need to see on Sunday ...if that happens  BE FINE ................. for me fitness is not good enough and giving advantage away......that  you create with horrible pass backs goals win games.... LVG IS aware of that but players will not use flair ..they..posses...????? do do something special., like take a man on you can beat..???? shows real confidence ......... ITS there ...GIGGS has ability to bring out best in them guys ...  SPEAK UP MAN ...your in it to WIN IT ???
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now