Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 4 people viewing this thread.
peter the butcher
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 36,866 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report degsy42 July 23, 2014 10:15 PM BST
if it doesnt happen we can rely on the '20 times 20 times  man yernitted ' facht
Report Warren-Rochdale July 23, 2014 10:22 PM BST
Degsy , and your 3 European Cups , Man United should also be proud of them , how come you don't ever mention them . I find that very weird .
Report Warren-Rochdale July 23, 2014 10:27 PM BST
Hello ?????
Report degsy42 July 23, 2014 10:36 PM BST
i dont metion them cos im not a utd supporter warren
Report Warren-Rochdale July 23, 2014 10:40 PM BST
Ahhh , lol , right , sorry mate , i thought you were with your comments . My mistake .
Report Warren-Rochdale July 23, 2014 10:43 PM BST
This isn't gonna look good tomorrow when they read this lol .
Report liam1982 July 23, 2014 10:43 PM BST
I hope he doesn;t sign anyone else now until at least January, i think it's more wise to let him spend a bit of time with the squad first, rather than spend £50 mill on another 'holding role' player
Report Warren-Rochdale July 23, 2014 10:47 PM BST
Liam , agreed , keep the crap you've got , and if your still in the top 10 by January , " BUY BUY BUY " .
Report dr . atkins July 23, 2014 11:20 PM BST
warren you aint on channel 5plus 176 rochdale top hooligan on now
Report dr . atkins July 23, 2014 11:22 PM BST
your name aint lee by chanceLaugh
Report degsy42 July 23, 2014 11:27 PM BST
warren lee ?
Report Pandorica July 23, 2014 11:27 PM BST
Give him a few minutes to reply Dr.
He's having a brains trust meeting with Barnardo Boy. They're just trying to work out who they are.
Report dr . atkins July 23, 2014 11:29 PM BST
its comedy gold they have jason big mouth on next ex chelsea
Report Solano1 July 23, 2014 11:31 PM BST
Did Lee have a can of Special Brew in his hand?
Report dr . atkins July 23, 2014 11:37 PM BST
here we go big mouth on now
Report dr . atkins July 23, 2014 11:40 PM BST
comedy gold
Report tickerty boo July 24, 2014 6:48 AM BST
always up for it jason. Laugh
Report bbc2 July 24, 2014 9:20 AM BST
liverpool want vidal as well hummels looks less likely.
Report PBK July 24, 2014 9:40 AM BST
Congratulations on your only fu cking silverware of the year Laugh "And we'll really shake em up when we win the Chevrolet cup" ! Really rolls off the tongue that one !!!!!!!! Only joking lads Peter will know where I'm coming from, more of the Federer factor, looks like for me normal service will resume backing you lot each week and laying Chelsea. I know it was only a friendly but can see you with LVG having a top four finish with the fu cking scouse nowhere Laugh Also I think you'll be top come end of September. What was on the box last night regarding the Colonel ?????????????????? BlushBlushBlushBlushBlushBlushBlush
Report Ozymandius July 24, 2014 3:58 PM BST
Nibali showing his true hand, today, Pandy.  You might not enjoy it.
Report CheltenhamRoar July 24, 2014 6:03 PM BST
What a contrast to last pre season.

Moyes 1st friendly Singha all stars 1-0 Man United Crazy

LVG 1st friendly LA Galaxy 0-7 Man United Grin
Report bbc2 July 24, 2014 6:16 PM BST
and we found a scoring debut defenderLaugh
Report CheltenhamRoar July 24, 2014 6:24 PM BST
And a new formation Wink
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 8:07 PM BST
Evening
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 8:08 PM BST
Good start for LVG but pre season means nowt. With the fixture list being so kind to us we need to get off to a flier.
Report moscowmills July 24, 2014 9:31 PM BST
Starting line up includes Evans, Valencia, Fletcher and Welbeck

If we find 4 world class replacements we are in  business.
Report bbc2 July 24, 2014 10:09 PM BST
have you seen this james lad peter
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 10:34 PM BST
Yes I saw him "live" a couple of times beeb plus the tv coverage of games he played in.

To be perfectly honest he didn't stand out at all, there were half a dozen others you would have put money on to get in the first team before him. He seemed like an honest player who worked hard and gave 100%. Not even sure what his position is, he played full back when I saw him

Even his brother Matty who has left United was seen as more of a prospect than Reece. Quite often we are disappointed when players with enormous talent don't "train" on so its a very pleasant surprise when the reverse happens.
Report PBK July 24, 2014 10:39 PM BST
Evening peter no thanks for the congratulations I gave you today ?
Report bbc2 July 24, 2014 10:40 PM BST
he must have impressed someone to get a game
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 10:51 PM BST
I would rather thank you for the congratulations you give us when we lift that Premiership trophy mate...Devil
Report PBK July 24, 2014 10:53 PM BST
That'll be hard mate with a rope around my neck swinging from a lamp post Shocked
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 10:55 PM BST
Anyway PBK I understand Jason won the trophy for "old school" fan of the year. Tick is currently holding him in his van for his own safety...keeping Ed company.

Jason must be wondering how to tackle our Ed and be the guvnor in the van as our Ed can be a very intimidating figure;

Report PBK July 24, 2014 10:55 PM BST
I know you need to buy but I think you will SADLY be contenders again this year Sad
Report PBK July 24, 2014 10:57 PM BST
Was there something on the telly last night regarding JM ?
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 10:58 PM BST
We will definitely be contenders but personally I couldn't give a f uck about 2nd, 3rd or fourth to ensure Champions League and all that stuff. We should just go flat out to win it.

Its not as if our Thursday nights will be taken up with anything.
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 11:00 PM BST
I have been away for a couple of days and have just been catching up with the thread and read something posted by the doc and Warren re Jason.
Report PBK July 24, 2014 11:01 PM BST
You've been spoilt mate champions league spot would be a big achievement given the demise of your squad which was going downhill before Moyes turned up,
Report anfeild July 24, 2014 11:02 PM BST
At the moment united have zero chance of winning the prem. Have no defenders worth mentioning. Its going to be bewteen liverpool and yourselfs for fourth. Squad is shitte. Smalling jones evans cleverly are just total joker. As for van gael i think he's been bigged up by the media. He's not what he's made out to be. His club record is ok. However i dont rate him and unless united sign three world class players they wont finish top two.
Report PBK July 24, 2014 11:03 PM BST
Cheers I'll ask Doc when I next see him on the forum
Report PBK July 24, 2014 11:05 PM BST
anfield I'm not going to get into anti scouser sh!t but you lot have two chances of finishing in the top four and that's slim and fu cking none Laugh
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 11:06 PM BST
Yep PBK it was going downhill alright mate, we could only win the Premiership by 11 points even though we took our foot off the gas.Grin

Off course we accept that Ferguson won us many trophies with players that other managers wouldn't have been able to but its hardly a "poor" squad.
Report PBK July 24, 2014 11:08 PM BST
I know mate it wasn't a case of you being good more everyone else us included were sh!t !!!!!!
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 11:12 PM BST
Anfeild,

Firstly you lot should just concentrate on defending the title you won so well last year mate. Its easy to win they say but harder to defend. Although some find the first part pretty hard as well....

The players you mention, Smalling, Jones, Evans and Clevrley might well be a joke in your eyes but all of them have got more league title winning medals than Gerrard and the rest of the Liverpool's "successful" team last year.
Report bbc2 July 24, 2014 11:12 PM BST
brenda has won tons of silverware like hmmmm someone help me out
Report anfeild July 24, 2014 11:14 PM BST
I think we will struggle to get in top four. But united squad compared to the contenders is shittte. You lot just think new manager is going to happen get real. Im no we will the league bragade but the hype around van gael is unreal. I reckon unless more signings at best fourth. Where are the defenders. Two new players wont make alot of differnce.
Report PBK July 24, 2014 11:18 PM BST
Beeb, Peter you two can be such B!thces leave poor old (sh!t ground) anfield alone ! They'll have enough to contend with next season with Thursday night football if their lucky no Suarez plus champions league football Sorry Stevie G but you DID let it slip LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 11:20 PM BST
We aren't all expecting to win the league, we don't think LVG is the worlds best manger and if truth be known many of us might well have preferred Jose, Pep or Klopp.

However just because our scouse neighbours think CL qualification is the sign of a brilliant season pardon us for actually having higher goals and going all out to win games to give us a chance of winning the league rather than consolidating just to finish in the top four.

Admittedly last season Liverpool didn't do that but for many seasons they did.

I have no idea whether we will win the league but we'll give it a f ucking good go.

Strange thing is that many years we were told our squad was sh1t and we walked away with trophy after trophy.....

No Ferguson now I must admit.
Report bbc2 July 24, 2014 11:23 PM BST
to give him his correct title it is anfeild.
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 11:24 PM BST
PBK, its just a bit of fun, the scousers give as good as they get, although not since the back pass rule was changed Laugh

Did you see how we reminded our neighbours when we had overtaken them in the number of title wins?

ie 19 to their 18.
Report bbc2 July 24, 2014 11:26 PM BST
footballs only a gameGrinGrinGrinGrin
Report PBK July 24, 2014 11:27 PM BST
Whatever happens mate sadly I think we could both be playing second fiddle to your nearest neighbours they had a sh!t start last year but their used to Pellgrini's ways now.
Report PBK July 24, 2014 11:29 PM BST
No didn't see it you lot are to subtle for me Laugh
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 11:30 PM BST
Will post it on here tomorrow when I find it Grin
Report PBK July 24, 2014 11:32 PM BST
Ok mate right I'm off to bed been fishing well sitting beside a river where fish are supposed to live ! Night all.
Report peter the butcher July 24, 2014 11:34 PM BST
Cheers PBK
Report anfeild July 25, 2014 12:00 AM BST
Weather smalling etc have more winners medals than gerrard means nothing. Im just saying you lot have zero chance of winning the league with the current sqaud. Also i am amazed your not buying players. As the sqaud is crap compared to chel/man city. If united go into the season with that squad fourth is the best. Smalling clevely jones are just dog shitte and van gael will make no difference. He's a decent manager but not a top club manager. If united sign three players different story.
Report bbc2 July 25, 2014 9:12 AM BST
vidal says no to united memphis depay on the radar.
Report robbierobot July 25, 2014 9:33 AM BST
winner for you lads today mighty zip 2:00 thirsk, short price but will win
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 10:40 AM BST
Morning
Report HonkyJoe July 25, 2014 10:47 AM BST
I must say, I know pre-season doesn't mean *that* much, but it's still nicer to wake up to a 7-0 victory (with new boy Herrera shining) than a 1-0 defeat.

Last year was a horror-show pre-season. Can't read too much into those matches, but the seasons when we've done well, we've usually had some promising performances in the run-up to the first game.  It would be nice to see some new faces, but looks like LVG's already starting to have some effect.
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 10:49 AM BST
Anfield,

We know that we need some new players but every year for the past 14 years or so we have been told what a poor squad we have and how we were on the way down etc etc.

We have played without a decent midfield for goodness knows how long but the fact remains that we have kept on winning trophies.

Having top players in your team doesn't guarantee you the title as City and Chelsea have found out.

The three players you refer to are all England internationals and you might well think they are dog sh1te but they have all contributed to winning the league for United.

Yet you have players like Gerrard and Suarez who are much better players but have only contributed to Liverpool not winning the title.

As for LVG, who knows? I am happy with the choice as he is probably just what we need at the moment in terms of discipline and bringing the squad into line.

I think he is also the right person to make changes to the squad, both buying and selling.

Time will tell.
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 10:51 AM BST
Thanks robbie.

Dangerous to ignore one from that yard when the money is down. Will have a bit on it.
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 10:54 AM BST
Agree Joe.

LVG will freshen things up and the new faces will keep other players on their toes.

We need to get rid of a fair few players imo but only after LVG has had a look at them because I know that some of them were unhappy at their criticism last season. They feel they were asked to perform in roles that they were not suited to and that the team as a whole were "confused" with their on field positional responsibilities.
Report HonkyJoe July 25, 2014 11:02 AM BST
Yeah Peter. It was nice to see LVG and his team do well in the WC, but it has meant he's got less time to assess the existing squad before deciding who needs to go and who doesn't.

Realistically, this season is about getting back into the CL, and setting ourselves up for a strong 2015-2016 campaign.  LVG should certainly have them well-drilled and properly organised. And if he can improve some of our younger players (almost all of whom went significantly backwards last year), more the better.
Report bbc2 July 25, 2014 1:43 PM BST
would like to see some centre backs signed amidfielder and a winger
Report degsy42 July 25, 2014 2:23 PM BST
hope that robbie tips utd for the league cos that horse was a sh1t tip
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 2:41 PM BST
Ran very green degsy, but you have to say it was still disappointing. That Kevin Ryan yard usually know their onions so shouldn't give up on it I would say.
Report Money Tree cost me thousands!! July 25, 2014 2:51 PM BST
another season of discontent looms.

purchased two players and neither of the adress the positional problems the squad has.
Report bbc2 July 25, 2014 2:53 PM BST
we have not finished yet
Report Money Tree cost me thousands!! July 25, 2014 2:56 PM BST
you are finished, has beens no bodies.

not even in europe.
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 3:38 PM BST
Money tree we have been finished for a dozen years mate. Tearing our hair out here, year after year of disappointment as we watch the title slip away.

No bite to any of our play, players not getting in huddles anymore. We need a manager who can look at himself in the mirror, preferably every few minutes and use a hundred superlatives after a 0-0 draw.

We need to get back that "us and them" mindset and maybe blame everybody but ourselves for the mess we are in. After all, its not our fault.

We should get that c0ckiness back and proclaim ourselves champions with three games to go and get our players buying rounds of drinks in pubs to celebrate. That's real class.

What a f ucking mess we are in Sad
Report tickerty boo July 25, 2014 3:57 PM BST
Laugh
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:02 PM BST
Afternoon tick. The season hasn't started and they are coming out already mate???Confused
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:05 PM BST
Wow, huge pile up inside the last 3km of the TdF. Loads of the fancied riders involved. Gives the bloke in the lead a great chance to hang on and win now. He must have been a huge price.

I want him to get caught by Greipel or Kristoff if possible.
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:05 PM BST
Going to be really tight but I think he's going to hold on
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:06 PM BST
Wow, he's held on hasn't he?
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:07 PM BST
Brilliant for the lone rider, he's done it.
Report olddesperado July 25, 2014 4:09 PM BST
Ah, the huddle in the centre of the pitch.
This doesn't slip now. Laugh
Right.
Afternoon all
Report robbierobot July 25, 2014 4:09 PM BST
sorry lads,very disappointing run even allowing for it been in the stalls longer than ideal and playing up a bit before hand,but don't give up on it put it down in ur notebooks.that was off his son adam so gutted it got beatWhoops
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:12 PM BST
The winner matched for a few quid at 150's on here. Sadly not by me.

I backed Degenkolb (2nd), Kristoff (3rd) and Greipel.

That crash late on must have put a few riders in the first aid room I would think.
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:13 PM BST
It happens robbie, cheers for the heads up anyway. Wouldn't worry about it, I have been giving Pandy losing bets for years....
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:14 PM BST
Afternoon oldesp Grin
Report robbierobot July 25, 2014 4:18 PM BST
hes told me to get my money back on swift approval 7.00 York tonight,id have been very confident if the 1st 1 had won,but its up to you lads if you want to bak it!!!!it is entered in a group 1 and done everything right at home working with flaming spear which won very nice at York last week,but it is a hottish maiden tonight
Report olddesperado July 25, 2014 4:23 PM BST
I was factually incorrect by the way it was the huddle on the pitch nearest the closest tv camera.
What a leader of men that stevie G is I remember thinking to my self.Grin
Report bbc2 July 25, 2014 4:32 PM BST
yes all those league titles he has won deserves some respectLaugh
Report tickerty boo July 25, 2014 4:33 PM BST
does he still kiss cameras. Shocked
Report tickerty boo July 25, 2014 4:34 PM BST
i know you had a good tdf pete but how do you bet on that. Grin
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:34 PM BST
Kiss the camera?
Report tickerty boo July 25, 2014 4:35 PM BST
gerrard
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:35 PM BST
Oh you mean this Grin

Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:36 PM BST
Devil
Report tickerty boo July 25, 2014 4:36 PM BST
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:40 PM BST
Grin tick re the TdF

I started off by wanting to back Froome for a good bet, decided that he would do well early and go really short so I would lay him first and then back him when he drifted so I got lucky when he crashed out before thye race had gone too far.

Then I started to put up my bets for the stages and if the first one or two had lost I would have forgotten it but the pin kept coming down on winners inc 100/1, 50/1, 20/1, 14/1 and 4/1 so I kept tipping them until I realised nobody gave a f uck so I stopped and today was the first day for ages that I lost on the race.

Might be a good time to stop?

It kils time between the start of the stages and the first horse race of the day tbh.
Report tickerty boo July 25, 2014 4:44 PM BST
you can get the winners,i'll give you that. Grin
but the winner is definately at it.....imo. Shocked
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:46 PM BST
Yep he must be.

He just rides away from them like they are standing still
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:47 PM BST
Are you going to try and get to Sunderland away mate?
Report tickerty boo July 25, 2014 4:48 PM BST
back in cyprus for the first 2 games,i think.
Report peter the butcher July 25, 2014 4:52 PM BST
Nice
Report bigmart July 25, 2014 4:57 PM BST
just backed them to win the lg van don't take no crap ! 1st day in charge of a club he walks into the dressing room drops his pants and say's ''see them'' ''its a pair of balls'' ''you better grow some'' ,they won their lg that season !
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now