Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 2 people viewing this thread.
peter the butcher
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 38,274 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report Solano1 September 28, 2014 9:07 PM BST
Should bury her under it.
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 9:07 PM BST
No wonder your heart is giving way mate
Report bbc2 September 28, 2014 9:08 PM BST
do you get your charlie down the kebab house
Report PBK September 28, 2014 9:10 PM BST
No but there's a fella called Stavros Shocked
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 9:11 PM BST
Charlie is only available in Wilmslow, Alderley Edge etc.

Smackehead Liam does a "counterfeit" option but as it consists mainly of baking flour it just makes you fat.....Sad
Report PBK September 28, 2014 9:13 PM BST
He must of caught you out a lot then Pete DevilLaughWink
Report bbc2 September 28, 2014 9:14 PM BST
now we know what our captain was on
Report bbc2 September 28, 2014 9:14 PM BST
baking powderGrin
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 9:17 PM BST
Nope not me PBK, its just sweets, crisps, cakes, kebabs and curries every few hours that have caused my overweight issue.....
Report bbc2 September 28, 2014 9:20 PM BST
baby fat peter?
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 9:22 PM BST
He's not a baby anymore beeb. He's 20 years old and 6ft 3" now. Got bottled in a Newcastle club on Saturday night Sol Sad

He got caught up in a big brawl
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 9:23 PM BST
Thursday night I meant
Report DeSSieReborn September 28, 2014 9:30 PM BST
where were you thursday night sol, peru?
Report DeSSieReborn September 28, 2014 9:32 PM BST
hope your sons okay peter, fecking nasty that Devil
Report bbc2 September 28, 2014 9:32 PM BST
i trust he is ok peter
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 9:39 PM BST
Yes he's ok, has got three slashes across his forehead. The ambulance didn't arrive so after twenty minutes he and his mates left to go to another club but were refused entry because of the blood all over his face. Assures me it wasn't his fault and he was in the wrong place when somebody started lashing out with a broken bottle.

Anyway he's alright thanks.
Report PBK September 28, 2014 9:44 PM BST
Bloody kids ! It ain't nothing we didn't get up to at that age but as parents now it causes concern. I'm fairly lucky my oldest is a quiet lad but my youngest is like Dennis Wise could start a fight in an empty room !
Report bbc2 September 28, 2014 9:49 PM BST
my youngest grandson is a short fused nutter.went off to the army with fight injuries what did the army do put him in their boxing team.
Report bbc2 September 28, 2014 9:52 PM BST
have to laugh used to give him a cuff if he misbehaved he is now a para so cuffing days are over.
Report PBK September 28, 2014 9:56 PM BST
I tried to join the Army but had two football convictions............apparently they weren't looking for violent people to go off with a gun to kill people in strange and exotic lands............well Northern Ireland. Still can't comprehend that kind of logic Crazy
Report PBK September 28, 2014 9:57 PM BST
Funny that beeb how as they get as big as you the thick ears stop !
Report bbc2 September 28, 2014 10:01 PM BST
he now offers to pickme up and carry me to the grave yard cheeky fecker
Report degsy42 September 28, 2014 10:15 PM BST
i was a squaddie 10 years , good times , sh1 t times and a lot of memories
Report Solano1 September 28, 2014 10:16 PM BST
Newcastle?

Is he studying up here?
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 10:20 PM BST
Nah, he's got mates at Uni there and they decided to see if they could find some decent "fresher" parties
Report Solano1 September 28, 2014 10:24 PM BST
Ah, the pink triangle.
Report Solano1 September 28, 2014 10:24 PM BST
Which bar was he in?
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 10:24 PM BST
Is it known for bother?
Report Solano1 September 28, 2014 10:25 PM BST
What?
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 10:26 PM BST
Not sure he was too p1ssed to remember the name.
Report Solano1 September 28, 2014 10:27 PM BST
OK.
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 10:28 PM BST
Is the pink triangle the gay area?
Report peter the butcher September 28, 2014 10:29 PM BST
He described the bar as being fairly close to Chinatown
Report Solano1 September 28, 2014 10:32 PM BST
Yes, Donny gets down that area of town.  When he's not growing flowers.

Not much action on the west side of Chinatown.  Suspect he was in The Gate area.  Full of chavs.
Report cheesycheese September 28, 2014 11:41 PM BST
Gary Neville: "City is above Liverpool."
Jamie Carragher: "Yes, Man City is above us."
Gary: "I meant Leicester."

Laugh
Report Bergkamp93 September 28, 2014 11:49 PM BST
cheesycheese 28 Sep 14 23:41 Joined: 18 Mar 14 | Topic/replies: 639 | Blogger: cheesycheese's blog

Gary Neville: "City is above Liverpool."
Jamie Carragher: "Yes, Man City is above us."
Gary: "I meant Leicester."

Report bbc2 September 29, 2014 11:05 AM BST
mata to go out on loan to valencia
Report Can't Catch Me September 29, 2014 1:54 PM BST
Did you lads know you were 10 points worse off this season compared to the corresponding fixtures last year?! Couldn't believe that was right, but just checked and it is Plain
Report Ozymandius September 29, 2014 4:27 PM BST
This one game a week milarkey is a right nightmare.  Payers must be bored silly.
Report DeSSieReborn September 29, 2014 7:24 PM BST
ccm did you know we were ten places below you at 30/9/13 Wink
Report cheesycheese September 29, 2014 7:33 PM BST
CCM - not sure that's right is it? Or have I misunderstood? Or am I being fished? Laugh

We didn't play Leicester, QPR or Burnley last year as they were all in the Championship.
So we can't be 10 points behind the corresponding fixtures when we've only played 3 games that we played last year?

We've actually got 1 point more after 6 games than we had last season but when you factor in we've played the 3 promoted teams compared to City, Liverpool and Chelsea last season, it's probably not something to shout about! Laugh
Report Can't Catch Me September 29, 2014 7:39 PM BST
Not fishing at all mate, as it sounded wrong to me as well when I was told.

But I worked it out earlier.... did it in a totally arbritary way, replacing Fulham with Burnley, Norwich with Leicester and Cardiff with QPR (as the three promoted for the three relegated) and that showed you as being 10 points worse off. Sure you could do it other ways which wouldn't make it quite as bad, but you got 14 points from a possible 18 against the relegated sides last season, which means you cant match that even if you win every remaining game against the promoted sides.

I personally like using the corresponding fixture method and have done it for us for years as I think it gives a better measure of where teams are with regard to the fixtures actually played rather than number of games.
Report cheesycheese September 29, 2014 7:39 PM BST
Think I saw this posted on here yesterday but I've just seen Welbeck's fresh air shot for the Arsenal goal. Blush
Report Can't Catch Me September 29, 2014 7:41 PM BST
Fresh air? That was a world class dummy ffs Silly
Report cheesycheese September 29, 2014 7:50 PM BST
He's a decent player but has these moments every match where he looks like he's never played football before.
That's why he was never going to make it at United (unfortunately as I like the lad..and obviously he's a Manc).

I get you now on the 10 points thing. Doesn't make good reading put like that does it.
What's Liverpool's situation? It can't be much better can it after your start?
Report Can't Catch Me September 29, 2014 8:11 PM BST
We are 3 points worse off. So not as bad as many appear to be making out IMO. That means you've got to make up 27 points on us from here on in when you look at corresponding results from last season! Makes a mockery of the prices, even if it can be done.

I watched Welbeck have a few really good games against us. He's a really odd one as he clearly has ability and an unbelievable engine. Just don't think he's a good enough goal scorer unfortunately and that's what he will always be judged on.
Report Ozymandius September 29, 2014 8:38 PM BST
Bout time our boys hit the Middle East for some mid week $$$ fixtures.  These new defenders aren't going to pay for themselves, and no point having our squad hanging around in Manchester every week twiddling their thumbs.

Come on Ed, sweat that asset.
Report DeSSieReborn September 29, 2014 8:46 PM BST
feck that, we are already on the edge of an injury crisis Shocked
Report Ozymandius September 29, 2014 9:26 PM BST
No point wrapping them in cotton wool.  We can play kids at the back in friendlies if need be.

These guys are in the entertainment business and they aren't doing much entertaining.  Back in the days when the movie studio owned the actors, they didn't have them hanging out at The Hamptons 6 days a week.
Report degsy42 September 29, 2014 10:16 PM BST
have you thought of hiring a plane with a banner on it for a bit of entertainment
Report bbc2 September 29, 2014 10:19 PM BST
my desktop decided to pop its cloggs and its taken me 6 hours to get the old laptop going.missed my dog meetings missed 3 winners when i finally got going decided to have a cuppa the fecking milk was off.CryCryCry
Report Ozymandius September 29, 2014 10:26 PM BST
thank feck you didn't miss any big transfer news.
Report Ozymandius September 29, 2014 10:28 PM BST
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/louis-van-gaal-backs-miracle-worker-ryan-giggs-to-be-uniteds-next-manager-in-fan-video-30623999.html

King Luis holds court.  Does the emperor definitely have clothes?
Report DeSSieReborn September 30, 2014 8:23 AM BST
Funny  that BBC2 didn't notice yu gone Devil
Report bbc2 September 30, 2014 9:09 AM BST
dessie ruins the karma
Report DeSSieReborn September 30, 2014 9:15 AM BST
yes chameleon Wink
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:23 AM BST
Morning
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:25 AM BST
Some concern at United over Herrera. His back injury might be worse than they originally though.

Fingers crossed for the lad, he could do with a "break"...
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:28 AM BST
In last night's U21 game Januzaj and Tom Thorpe both scored in a 2-1 win.

I thought Januzaj was a bit disappointing but he scored with a decent free kick.
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 3:17 PM BST
Fractured rib for Herrera. Suspect he will be out for a good few weeks
Report HonkyJoe September 30, 2014 3:58 PM BST
That's a bugger about Herrera. I think he's blossoming into a really useful player. Put in some great little touches during the first half on Saturday, and helped out at the back during the final onslaught.  Particularly annoying he's got injured just as we've got some more difficult matches coming up!
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 4:23 PM BST
Yep agreed Joe. I think he's a good prospect. Two goals in his four matches so far which is important to us as we've been missing goals from midfield for a long time now.

He's pretty mobile too and gets stuck in which I like.
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 4:26 PM BST
Will be interesting to see whether LVG reverts back to that diamond formation for the Everton match with Rooney out.

I think he ditched that in the West Ham match because Rooney was almost  playing alongside Falcao with Van Persie out wide at times.

Looked like a 4-3-3 on the pitch.
Report Ozymandius September 30, 2014 4:48 PM BST
Carrick, Jones, Smalling and Fellaini all due back this week in theory.

Looking forward to seeing Carrick in middle of a back 3 with Rojo on one side and Jones on the other.  What he lacks in defensive ability he makes up for in ability to step forward and play in midfield when we have the ball.  Definitely worth trying.
Report DeSSieReborn September 30, 2014 4:50 PM BST
oh dear herrera news is a bugger. lets hope of all those carrick makes it oz......
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 5:23 PM BST
Love this attitude from Herrera

"A real shame this injury, but now's not the time to feel sorry for myself. I'm already working to be back as soon as possible"!
Report Ozymandius September 30, 2014 5:48 PM BST
Herrera or De Gea could well be the face of Mr Muscle, Ed is missing a trick.
Report olddesperado September 30, 2014 6:45 PM BST
To play 3 at the back they all have to be able to defend oz and carricks attempts at tackling last year were pathetic tbh.

Also the role your thinking requires the player to be able to come out with the ball and draw midfielders to him to create space and that's not carrick either as he,ll just stroke it sideways or back to de gea.

In fact I don't see any role for him in this team now although the Herrera injury shows how light on bodys we are in midfield.
Report Ozymandius September 30, 2014 7:17 PM BST
I hear what you are saying desp and agree to a point.

The role does requires the player to be able to come out with the ball and draw midfielders to him....agreed....not that difficult, ultimately you are not taking anyone on....it also requires the abilty to distribute once you have drawn the opposition to you...he can do that imo.  Put it this way he can do it better than anyone else in our squad.

Big question mark over his D, but we have never seen him in a 3, he can almost float, sweeper like.  Its a different sot of defending.

It may not work but if LVG wants to go 3 at the back its his only possible viable option imo.  (Don't think blind can do it)
Report Ozymandius September 30, 2014 7:26 PM BST
A cracking read....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/30/forgotten-story-patrick-oconnell-saved-barcelona
Report olddesperado September 30, 2014 7:40 PM BST
Think the 3 or 5 at the back experiment is over anyway with the falcao signing.

Six forwards into two positions would mean him having to play one of mata, rooney or januzaj in midfield and leave the others out along side Wilson .

With di maria guaranteed a mf slot that would leave us weak defenceively in mf with Herrera probably getting the nod over Blind.

Anyway be an interesting season I think.
Report homefortea September 30, 2014 8:21 PM BST
Ozymandius 30 Sep 14 19:26 Joined: 01 Jul 11 | Topic/replies: 11,312 | Blogger: Ozymandius's blog
A cracking read....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/30/forgotten-story-patrick-oconnell-saved-barcelona

The worst alleged journalist ever in a paper that should have folded years ago.Propped up by sales (not of newspapers) and will soon be history.

Love It LaughLaughLaugh

That bald headed t wat should be working for the Home Office...
Report HonkyJoe September 30, 2014 8:39 PM BST
Anyway be an interesting season I think.

Definitely. I'd rather we go down occasionally playing exciting football than serve up the turgid fare we got last year.

Of course we need to work on the defence, and get them playing much better. But there's a real spark to our game now that's been missing for quite a few years. And Saturday's match showed we can still roll our sleeves up and get stuck in. If we can find some sort of balance between that fighting attitude (leaving out the red cards!) and the silky attacking play, this could be quite a team.
Report olddesperado September 30, 2014 8:54 PM BST
yep my thoughts exactly joe,

I think van gaal is trying to get a style and balance into the team that will take time and by seasons end I would say he would have maybe 8 or so of the players he wants playing as he wants with others to come in for next season.

Players like Rafael maybe surprising him and nailing down a place in a position he might have thought he needed reinforcing
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 9:29 PM BST
One of the United lads who would know said that LVG had told Rafael he could leave if he wanted in the summer.

Rafael knows he has something to prove if he's to stay at United.
Report PBK September 30, 2014 9:47 PM BST
Evening all, your neighbours still don't seem to get on with this Europe lark Happy
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 9:56 PM BST
Lol, damn shame about their result tonight..Grin
Report PBK September 30, 2014 10:01 PM BST
Thought you'd be upset Laugh I backed them at 1-1 without looking at the game to busy watching Chelsea crush Sporting Lisbon 1-0 ended up watching a good bit of the City game, they were terrible. Surely they'll have to come good in Europe at some stage
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:04 PM BST
Why?
Report degsy42 September 30, 2014 10:04 PM BST
3 pin plug ,  sh1t in europe
Report bbc2 September 30, 2014 10:05 PM BST
chelsea are grinders
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:06 PM BST
They went over 40 years in between league titles Laugh
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:07 PM BST
Mind you Liverpool looking to break that record LaughLaugh
Report bbc2 September 30, 2014 10:07 PM BST
citeh have nearly blown the champions league alreadySadConfused
Report PBK September 30, 2014 10:10 PM BST
chelsea are grinders

Grinders in Europe Beeb unlike you grinding it out with the mighty West Ham Wink
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:10 PM BST
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:11 PM BST
Have you gone degsy?

That was for your benefit mate....
Report PBK September 30, 2014 10:11 PM BST
Laugh
Report PBK September 30, 2014 10:12 PM BST
Degsy is driving the fu cking thing Laugh
Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:12 PM BST
Anyway back to City, at least they are making a mark in Europe now......

Report peter the butcher September 30, 2014 10:12 PM BST
lol PBK
Report bbc2 September 30, 2014 10:21 PM BST
you may walk the league pbk but you have no class like 1-0 to the arsenalCry
Report bbc2 September 30, 2014 10:26 PM BST
the citeh boys not around tonight its not as though they got beat
Report PBK September 30, 2014 10:35 PM BST
Right that's me done lads hospital in the morning for a ECG and then hopefully they'll be able to say what's wrong with me and NO I don't want answers on the back of a postcard what you lot think is wrong with me Shocked Night all.
Report bbc2 September 30, 2014 10:39 PM BST
have you still lost your brain pbkLaugh
Report bbc2 September 30, 2014 10:40 PM BST
nighty night pbk
Report degsy42 September 30, 2014 10:42 PM BST
yeh seen the bus piccy , got sent by a city mate before tonights game , cant show the pic i sent him after the result Excited
Report what do i do now? September 30, 2014 10:58 PM BST
With all the injuries (and the suspension), what sort of team will Man Utd be putting out on Sunday? Apparently Everton are sending quite a strong squad to Russia, which I'm not happy about.
Report Bergkamp93 September 30, 2014 11:58 PM BST
LaughLaughLaughThose PICS pete
Report Bergkamp93 October 1, 2014 12:00 AM BST

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now