Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
27 Dec 10 00:11
| Topic/replies: 47,774 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
Not long before transfer window opens and although Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not a big fan of the January opportunity, he has been known to come up with the odd surprise!

Newspapers say Pepe Reina is a target. True he is unsettled at United but would he move to United knowing the "rumpus" that caused. Also United have earmarked young Anders Lindergaard as the long time successor to Van Der Sar but Reina much better at the moment.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned at Old Trafford is the Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. I heard that Inter were going to sign him but he is waiting to see if United move for him first. Not sure about truth in this because Antonio Valencia is making a quicker recovery than first thought and I would have thought Sir Alex might be prioritising  a centre half and midfielder but who knows.

Anderson is starting to show a lot more of his undoubted ability but the defence is key for United if they want another title. Sunderland were not great today but United's defence was absolutely solid, unlike much of this season. Anyway we will find out a bit more at Birmingham on Tuesday as they will be tested a lot more by a fresh side with plenty of time to prepare.

Anyway good luck to fans at all clubs in this festive period. It could go a long way to deciding your season.

For United fans looking for a 19th title-  BELIEVE
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report DeSSieReborn February 12, 2017 5:59 PM GMT
I'd rather he played Rashford for Ibra personally, keep Roo for European games. Martial and Rashford need some full games together. It doesn't help either in and out replacing each other imo.
Report the_don February 12, 2017 6:01 PM GMT
I'm hoping Rooney starts on Thursday Pete, or at least Martial or Rashford start centrally. If not then I definitely think there'll be a few changes for the Blackburn game, with the likes of Schweinsteiger, Young, Darmian and Romero getting time.

Hopefully the likes of Martial, Mata, Mikhy and Rashford can continue scoring to take some of the strain off Ibrahimovic, we've been far too reliant on his goals. Do you still think a top striker will be coming in the summer Pete?
Report olddesperado February 12, 2017 7:09 PM GMT
I think it will be the same side for thursday,   maybe Carrick might come in for Mata to make us more solid and maybe Blind might drop out as he was skinned a few times yesterday and they might target him.

Depends on the fitness of Rojo i,d say.

The changes will come in the FA cup where there could be up to 8/9 changes.
Report olddesperado February 12, 2017 7:12 PM GMT
I only seen it once live but im not sure Martial replicated jose,s gesture when he came off.

To me he brushed past him as quick as he could but as i say i only seen it once.
Report olddesperado February 12, 2017 7:18 PM GMT
With all the M,s  Miky, Martial and Mata playing so well yesterday he kind of went below the radar a bit but i thought Herrera was brilliant,

Key passes, tackles won all over the pitch and did the simple things perfectly keeping the ball recycled quickly .

He,s becoming one of our most important players now.
Report the_don February 12, 2017 8:43 PM GMT
Piece in the Guardian I think today saying how Pogba has been played in a deeper role for the past 2 games (next to Herrera). Gives us the chance to get an extra attacking player in the team as a 4231 rather than the 433 we have mostly been playing.

I don't mind this in the 'easier' matches but in tougher games I think it'd give Herrera too much to do and we'd need an extra midfielder in there. Remember Herrera being horribly exposed V Chelsea and don't want to see the same again!
Report DeSSieReborn February 12, 2017 8:49 PM GMT
oldd i agree re Herrera, he is looking like our Kante. Much less carelessness now, getting better and better. Eric impresses me the most though. Looks like Jose dug out a real defensive diamond with him....if we stopped missing so many easy scoring chances I wouldn't be bothered about the chances we give away, but right now for all our domination, several times we could have been in big trouble.
Report olddesperado February 12, 2017 8:53 PM GMT
Ye i.d agree with that don.

Also i think jose is right to try put more pressure on packed defences as thats whats cost us not being beside Chelsea right now so i can see why he is trying to get us playing without Carrick.

I think he will play in the bigger games though.

Its crazy to think how many points we have dropped by not breaking down packed defences when we were well on top yet we are only 2 points off second place.
Report olddesperado February 12, 2017 8:59 PM GMT
Certainly need to be more clinical dessie ,, we should have got our goal difference level with some of the others yesterday,

Almost feels like a point dropped to add to so many others.

We are on the right track at last though.
Report peter the butcher February 13, 2017 1:28 PM GMT
Afternoon
Report the_don February 13, 2017 1:28 PM GMT
Afternoon
Report peter the butcher February 13, 2017 1:31 PM GMT
The other teams all having some pre season type breaks now. Meanwhile we have four huge games in 11 days coming up. Ridiculous but we have to get on with it. When the dust settles we could be out of all three cup competitions and people screaming crisis. Can't wait for the games tbh Excited
Report peter the butcher February 13, 2017 1:33 PM GMT
don, we are definitely in the market for a striker and Mourinho has got two players earmarked. I don't think he has a choice but to sign at least one of them.

Rooney is all but finished, Martial may or may not be here, Ibra will be here but it only takes one injury and we are left with Rashford who isn't ready just yet.
Report DeSSieReborn February 13, 2017 6:27 PM GMT
I'd seriously take a punt on Mahrez and Vardy 30m should get both.
Report Loanwolf February 13, 2017 8:01 PM GMT
Come on Utd experts give me the correct score for Thursday's Europa game against St Etienne.They are not a bad team and I think it will be a tight game  with Utd winning 2-0,2-1.I shall be also doing a spread bet on penalty goal minutes  buying the likely spread of 11-14.I reckon Utd are nailed on to get at least one penalty.
Report the_don February 13, 2017 8:57 PM GMT
1 league penalty and maybe 3 in total all season could suggest something about your penalty opinions there.

Having all these games is just part and parcel of nobody knocking us out of any cups yet Pete, nothing can be done about having to play a load of games unfortunately! This is why we're here, to win games and trophies.

We've got quite a few options in most positions that don't really weaken the team so can rotate quite a lot, plus luckily we haven't had too many injuries recently.

What I think we're missing is a real match winner to turn those draws into wins. Think Hazard for Chelsea, Aguero for City or even King Eric for us back in his day. Any idea who the strikers are that we're looking at?
Report grumpyjim February 14, 2017 11:55 AM GMT
STRIKERS ARE LIKE  a needle in a haystack for most teams .. we are no different ..
ready made might not be worth it ..time could heal the position .. OUR ROONEY  may well get his touch back ..even though he is long gone in our equations .. lets hope so ..
no 20 for Seville   know nothing about him but causes all sorts of trouble given the ball and hated by fans ..  VITOLO  ... ?  in as a midfielder  ... do not know his age either  .older   ?. on the stats ..   ?
we go asking about anyone we get it in pocket mostly .. ?? don't see any Leicester players fitting the bill   ........ One season  wonders while rest were really poor .. after terrible start .. same as us started with wet suits on . for 4 months ..?
Report DeSSieReborn February 14, 2017 7:43 PM GMT
Jim I don't know why people are putting it about that Rooney is finished now he has hit that record. He is stiil the best of british and a master craftsman and he will have a big part to play if we are to win trophies this season.
Report DeSSieReborn February 14, 2017 7:46 PM GMT
Sending off tonight in psg/barca match imo.
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 7:51 PM GMT
The only big part he will have this season dessie is his stomach.
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 7:52 PM GMT
And maybe his arse
Report DeSSieReborn February 14, 2017 8:15 PM GMT
we'll see ;)
Report HarmonicaPhil February 14, 2017 8:39 PM GMT
I've said it before and it bears repeating
Utd should move heaven and earth to get Veratti from PSG
He's twice the player Pogba is
Report grumpyjim February 14, 2017 8:40 PM GMT
PSG looking very smart in first half .. BARCA  well off the pace .. good game to watch .. yet no chance made by the Spaniards  so far .. HALF TIME 2..0  ..?
Rooney will be reading this with a bit of luck and head of to get himself ready to get stuck in    ....  in the coming weeks ..  Security for his young family ..? still a priority   once the dinero dries up soon ..>>
that should be enough to knock him into gear for a bit .. Young UNS  are failing us ..? ....
UNBELIEVABLE SPACE  GIVE TO ..PSG .. SHOWING LUMPS OF ROOM ..??
Report grumpyjim February 14, 2017 8:44 PM GMT
quality players are ruling the game now .. and we are far short in that area ..??  MR ED HAS MILES OF NIGHTSHIFTS TO GET ON WITH HIS LOT IN A BALACLAVA  AND PICK GOODIES FOR A CHANGE ?? CAN IT BE DONE  ..?  OR IS HE A GONNER .. ? .. Needs to show his mettle if he has any  ,,,,,,,,,,as a disgrace so far ..  NO VALUE >>???
Report DeSSieReborn February 15, 2017 11:28 AM GMT
Careful what we wish for before the st ettienne game. Don't be saying "lets hope Pogba has the best game of his life".........florentine pogba is in their defence and we don't want another of "those" games...........
Report OnePercenter February 16, 2017 8:39 AM GMT
First rule of playing the away leg first - don't lose by 4 goals. Not even an away goal will save you!
Report grumpyjim February 16, 2017 12:43 PM GMT
many teams are having a Bad Day in the          ........OFFICE ..??  these days ..
At the stage of the ........ C.L  ......now .....    4 goals adrift  away from home does look a lot .   ........
Tough going at home  even for the  ........BIG BOYS ..
Time to drop all  .....MAN UNITED ......PUNDITS ..  BEFORE ITS TOO LATE .. ?
turn down sound  ,,,and watch what you see  ,,,,,,,, don't   use .. them to tell us anything ..  .. 
BEST WISHES TO THE DEVILS TONIGHT ..  get on and  ....DO IT .  ......
PTB    ... will know how much it cost to put that    ....PSG   ...squad together ..  COSTA PLENTY .ME THINKS .. .......
Report DeSSieReborn February 16, 2017 1:24 PM GMT
Not sure why you're attacking Woodward Jim, Jose told us all that he had identified four "players that fit the profiles he wanted" and Ed went out and got them. Then January he said he was happy with squad. Now he's whinging about fixture pile up if we carry on in all comps as if it's a new experience? FFS we struggled with the poem in the past, stop bleating about it to cover your back if we get beat!! As I see it, in this new dynasty Jose needs to identify his targets BEFORE Ed goes out shopping. I Don't think we can grumble with his last shop, because it's a fair trolleyful he brought home. Jose is the one I'worried about.
Report easyrider69 February 16, 2017 5:18 PM GMT
agree with all of that Dessie

Players dont need to hear about fixture congestion
Report Loanwolf February 16, 2017 7:54 PM GMT
Fellaini playing   so its a long ball game tonight.Still expect tight match with Utd winning 2-0,2-1.
Report DeSSieReborn February 16, 2017 8:55 PM GMT
mata has to go off imo. Probably have to replace Blind too but we need action now or they are going to get an away goal. woefully 2nd best last 15 minutes
Report DeSSieReborn February 16, 2017 8:58 PM GMT
Unless of course this is the competition Jose wants us to go out of, in which case leave it as it is, because we'll get fcuk all over in france thats for sure.
Report DeSSieReborn February 16, 2017 9:40 PM GMT
What a difference with Lingard, Rashford and Martial all on.
Report the_don February 16, 2017 10:31 PM GMT
Thought it was a sloppy performance at times and we got some luck with decisions. Good performances from Valencia, Pogba and Martial.

St Etienne looked sharp and not the defensive side many expected. They put a lot into the first hour though and were dead on their feet in the last 20. We could have scored more as usual but so could they in the 1st half so overall a 3-0 win is an excellent result.

Nice to see a pacy 3 behind Ibrahimovic, I think it can work in certain games and it's good to watch attacking football of that type.
Report DeSSieReborn February 16, 2017 10:43 PM GMT
sloppy at times? I thought we were pretty sloppy throughout don, and the scoreline flattered us. Pogba did play well, but his poor finishing detracts from his performance nearly every game. Even when you say they were dead on their feet they could have had two or three goals. We really weren't good enough, though the combination of Lingard, Martial and Rashford did up the ante for us somewhat. We're gonna have problems over there for sure. I was complementing Bailly tother day but he had a 'mare first half. Herrera lost his composure second half. Romero continues to impress though,
Report peter the butcher February 16, 2017 11:17 PM GMT
Evening.

Personally thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable game. Not often you see two teams going toe to toe.

Definitely got the rub of the green, not sure if either of the fouls on Ibra were actually fouls but would have to see them on the telly.

They were very good on the break and deserved to score at least once. I can see them being a handful over there and despite a 3-0 win we need to be careful we don't give them any encouragement.

Anyway that's another game ticked off
Report peter the butcher February 16, 2017 11:19 PM GMT
By the way DeSSie how does Romero "continue to impress".??

I can't remember him making one save tbh.
Report anxious February 16, 2017 11:25 PM GMT
Thought tonight we a lot better second half when Rashford and lingard came on we played a lot better , first half we were a bit disorganised but nobody can play well all the time , the most important thing I think now is that we have goals in us now and that makes us dangerous
Report peter the butcher February 16, 2017 11:27 PM GMT
Ibra intrigues me. He's a big old lump, fit, strong, players bounce off him and he seems to make things happen. He's slow but still seems to find the space and scores for fun. What is it now, 23 goals in 35 matches or something?

What is interesting is the way he has adapted. At the beginning of his time here he was getting into all sorts of collisions with defenders and giving fouls away and he was complaining of not getting anything. He's obviously decided that he has to e cuter and instead of staying on his feet he's going down as soon as he feels a touch and basically inviting defenders to tackle him from behind. I say inviting but sometimes he's inciting them.

Not sure the Premier League refs will fall for that. He needs to be careful.because if his name was Ashley Young he would be getting castigated for some of those fouls he "won"
Report peter the butcher February 16, 2017 11:29 PM GMT
Evening anx, yes much better 2nd half. They were no mugs and 3-0 might have flattered us but we missed three other sitters as well
Report Solano1 February 16, 2017 11:48 PM GMT
Fkn ****.
Report peter the butcher February 16, 2017 11:51 PM GMT
Sol's been drinking tizer again.
Report peter the butcher February 16, 2017 11:52 PM GMT
Or he backed St Etienne
Report Solano1 February 16, 2017 11:56 PM GMT
Newcastle loanee best player on the park.
Rafa deemed him surplus.
Rafa knows.
Report peter the butcher February 17, 2017 12:30 AM GMT
Rafa ex manager if you don't come up.
FCB will deem him surplus
Rafa knows
Report grumpyjim February 17, 2017 2:47 AM GMT
never saw match ass its poker night .. looks good result all in all and delighted .. dessie  .. the money will dry up the way we spend it .. and VALUE is eroded all the time ..   
HUGE STAFF AT UNITED LIKE HAVING A GAME OF MUNCHMEN WHO GET YOU IN THE END .. And thats how I view them in CHARGE OF funds .. bear me out in 3 years with no success  we will be in severe financial  stook .. ? ..dont see anything else ahead .. difficulty is cold winter and some players want out pretty quickly .  and some get told to forget coming  .we are past it ..  so all in all a lot of work to straighten the lot up .. HARD BONE UP CENTRE STILL NOT RIGHT ??
Report Loanwolf February 17, 2017 12:39 PM GMT
Congratulations to Ibra last night -what a player,never mind the hat trick the penalty was  a magnificent effort on his part  and paid a 74 point profit on the night.Continental referees are susceptible to the theatrical but Ibra came good at the right time with a slow motion effort.As for next years Champions league qualification I think Utd will qualify easily in 4th place behind Chelsea,Liverpool and Manchester City without the need to win the Europa Cup.(too difficult anyway)
As for EFL final there has to be a problem if Ibra is man marked It t is difficult to work out who will score a goalUnless Ibra scores or Mata knocks one in nobody else is likely to score.
Report Loanwolf February 17, 2017 12:40 PM GMT
Congratulations to Ibra last night -what a player,never mind the hat trick the penalty was  a magnificent effort on his part  and paid a 74 point profit on the night.Continental referees are susceptible to the theatrical but Ibra came good at the right time with a slow motion effort.As for next years Champions league qualification I think Utd will qualify easily in 4th place behind Chelsea,Liverpool and Manchester City without the need to win the Europa Cup.(too difficult anyway)
As for EFL final there has to be a problem if Ibra is man marked It t is difficult to work out who will score a goalUnless Ibra scores or Mata knocks one in nobody else is likely to score.
Report DeSSieReborn February 17, 2017 12:57 PM GMT
Ibra man marked lol Excited
Report DeSSieReborn February 17, 2017 1:03 PM GMT
Peter your eyes were probably glued on Pogbas impressive finishing......Romeros positioning, reflexes and speed of reaction and recovery are excellent, his distribution ain't bad either. I'm sure the defence is every bit as confident with him behind them as DDG.
Report peter the butcher February 17, 2017 1:06 PM GMT
If Ibra scores seven more this season he will have scored 30 or more goals in each of the last six seasons or so. That is some effort in different countries.

I think other players are getting into good positions too Wolfie.

Mata has got 9 goals, Martial and Pogba both have 7 goals and Rashford has got 6 so they are chipping in. As you say the problem is who would be the main striker if Ibra got injured.

United are banking on Griezman who they have already talked to. Sadly he is being pursued by all the big clubs. The other name being bandied around is Belotti from Torino but again much south after. The point is that Mourinho is aware he needs another top striker and is addressing it.
Report peter the butcher February 17, 2017 1:10 PM GMT
What is your problem with Pogba DeSS? Just curious as you are constantly having a go at him. Must admit I was against bringing him back but mainly due to his behaviour first time around but now he's signed again I can see that he clearly wants to be here.

Taking him some time to find his feet but he looks a monster and is years away from his peak. Not too fussed about the fee we paid for him although I reckon its 25m too much.
Report peter the butcher February 17, 2017 1:12 PM GMT
As for Romero I will take your word for it. I genuinely hardly noticed him other than when he launched himself two or three times after that back pass from Bailly which let their striker through.
Report DeSSieReborn February 17, 2017 1:12 PM GMT
I'd be looking for a left back if I were him as it sounds like Shaw is off the radar and Blind for all his battling qualities is too slow in an era of fast counter attacking play. Jose should have already rested Ibra and looked at Martial, Mkhi, Lingard with Rashford CF. The only reason Rashford isn't scoring is because he is normally out left. Ibra wouldn't get many out there either, guaranteed.
Report Can't Catch Me February 17, 2017 1:13 PM GMT
he looks a monster

Does he Pete? Maybe Ive not seen enough of him, but he's looked bang average every time I have.
Report peter the butcher February 17, 2017 1:15 PM GMT
For what its worth I think Mourinho's buys have been excellent and form the spine of the team don't they? Bailly, Pogba, Mikh and Ibra.

I know Mourinho has made some poor buys in the past and let some good players go but I'm very happy with those four.
Report DeSSieReborn February 17, 2017 1:17 PM GMT
Pogba thinks he is better than he actually is imo. His trickery regularly gives the ball away and his finishing is not what it should be. He should have 15 goals now, at least, and if he did we wouldn't be discussing too many draws and struggling for top four. I acknowledge he COULD be a great player, but he's a way off that yet imvho.
Report peter the butcher February 17, 2017 1:19 PM GMT
Yep agree with all that DeSS
Report peter the butcher February 17, 2017 1:21 PM GMT
Pogba p1sses me off the way he struts around and seems more concerned with a new haircut or his name on the advertising boards. Thinks he's at the same level as Messi and Ronaldo when the truth is that he's not even the best player at United. Yes of course he could be and I hope he does reach the top level but until then he should just get on with it and put the miles in on the pitch before he starts showboating.
Report rommel February 17, 2017 1:23 PM GMT
Taking him some time to find his feet but he looks a monster and is years away from his peak.......give em enough rope,errr hes been a bit erm poor,but hes a beast(plenty of beasties cant kick a fckn ball),be nice to see him climb a little hill(footywise)
Report rommel February 17, 2017 1:25 PM GMT
from what ive seen hes a poor finisher,and it youve either got it or you havent...
Report rommel February 17, 2017 1:26 PM GMT
it can take some players a good while to fit in,get their home life,friends etc yep
Report DeSSieReborn February 17, 2017 1:32 PM GMT
pogba has scored a couple of fine goals, but if he isn't careful its the ones he has missed that will be our end of season talking point which will be no swanking point for him. only he can sort it.
Report anxious February 17, 2017 1:35 PM GMT
I thought Herrera was poor last night well off the pace and looks like he needs a rest
Report DeSSieReborn February 17, 2017 1:38 PM GMT
I thought Mata was our worst player tbh, very little to be positive about but he had pogbas bro to contend with and he was twice the size of him and faster.
Report DeSSieReborn February 17, 2017 1:54 PM GMT
Could be worse though, we could have Ozil on our payroll, now that would be a fcuking downer.
Report the_don February 18, 2017 12:40 PM GMT
Lots of games coming up, waiting for the 'tired' excuse when we lose one, though nobody mentions tiredness while they're winning.

Re Griezmann, not sure he's the out and out striker that we need to eventually replace Ibrahimovic. Thought he was more of a no 10 style player myself though obviously people in the know would have more knowledge. Not heard of the lad from Torino (aren't we always linked with players from Torino?).

Maybe we should try a bid for this lad with a good Premier League scoring record who looks unhappy at the moment. He's around 28 years old, Sanchez I think his name is. Wink
Report DeSSieReborn February 18, 2017 1:07 PM GMT
Rashford is good enough for Centre Forward. Shame he isn't being given chance to show it.

I don't expect either Ibra or Pogba to play tomorrow so Rashford must surely get the chance to play CF. I'd play Romero, Fosu-Mensah, Jones (if fit, if not Smalling), Rojo, Shaw, Basti, Fellaini, Lingard, Martial, Rooney (if fit, Mata if not), Rashford
Report easyrider69 February 18, 2017 1:31 PM GMT
Rashfords first touch is not good enough to play centre forward, needs to learn to hold the ball up. is at his best facing the oppositions goal and running at them, to be a top centre forward you have to be able to do both
Report the_don February 18, 2017 1:38 PM GMT
Yes Dessie, definitely time to rest most if not all of those who played on Thursday you'd have thought. I think Herrera will play as he's banned for St Etienne away and Romero should play too, all the others could be changed.

I can see why Mourinho plays Rashford and Martial from a wider position as both are better running towards goal rather than up against a defender with their back to goal. He has always favoured a strong physical centre forward. They have both shown they can do it mind and surely there will be a point where one of them needs to play a few games there.
Report DeSSieReborn February 18, 2017 2:59 PM GMT
Easy rider how do you expect a young player to learn to hold the ball up as a centre forward against top class defences if not given the chance?
Report OnePercenter February 19, 2017 11:06 AM GMT
In training
Report DeSSieReborn February 19, 2017 2:59 PM GMT
Do they play eleven a side in training then 1%? If only it were so simple...... maybe Pogba would have 20 goals by now learning how to finish "in training"....
Report grumpyjim February 19, 2017 3:52 PM GMT
Another must go through today .. no more extra games .. for EXCUSES .???
Report OnePercenter February 19, 2017 4:13 PM GMT
Rashford & Martial startGrin
Report Loanwolf February 19, 2017 4:14 PM GMT
Just seen the Utd side no Ibra ,no Mata so who is to score a goal.Incredible though it seems match is nailed on for 0-0 or a 0-1 victory for Utd.(penalty )
Report DeSSieReborn February 19, 2017 5:05 PM GMT
Must feel a bit of a pillock now Loanwolf eh?
Report Loanwolf February 19, 2017 6:51 PM GMT
I cannot be right all of the time -still it took your main man to score the winner after  which Utd were on cruise control just playing out time-If Southampton man mark Ibra next week you may be in trouble He is a class player and conserves his energy very well.Opposition teams just need to wise up to his style of play For what its worth I think he had one shot on goal and about 4 in total in the two league  matches against Liverpool.If Southampton man mark him and avoid giving away sill free kicks around the edge of the penally area thats about 75% of Utd's strike force  neutralised
Report anxious February 19, 2017 7:10 PM GMT
Aye that's true a bit like Mane when he went to the African nations cup and the scouse season went to pot.
Report olddesperado February 19, 2017 7:52 PM GMT
Job done, two good goals thats about it really.

My thoughts after the game,

Romero looks an accident waiting to happen every time i see him,  we would be in trouble if ever anything happened to de gea.

Young brings nothing to the team and Darmian struggles on the left and will be gone this summer i feel.

Lingard has good moments but struggles to impose himself throughout a full game.

Martial dissappointed after two good games and needs to find more consistancy to become a regular starter.

They gave us a lot of space so its dissapointing we couldnt create more against a championship team.
Report anxious February 19, 2017 8:20 PM GMT
Darmian very poor again  think he will be off in summer, thought carrick was good with ball but a liability without it , we didn't play well but won I think the accumulation of games could be a big problem
Report olddesperado February 19, 2017 8:33 PM GMT
I like Darmian but he has certainly regressed since joining us,

Might have something to do with having to play on the left and be wrong footed all the time.

Whatever it is jose doesnt fancy him anyway.
Report grumpyjim February 19, 2017 8:36 PM GMT
difficult to make excuse for players and games ...anxious .. ,........no replay so that is a huge plus ..  .normal people travel to and from work 5 6 days a week for a good sight less  ..  doing 60 hrs a week travelling not sure if transport will get them  home  ...........and don't moan keeping even a small family ..  .  .. tough out there and need to get tougher ..a softness about our lot ..week on week .,??  .. think J.M.  WILL NEED A RETHINK ON CHANGES SOON .. FOR SEASON AHEAD ..EVEN if we win silverware .. soon ..??.. Barcelona struggling tonight again .. 1 goal in game .. LIKE HOW WE HAVE BEEN FOR 3 YEARS .. ??
all teams know we are not the force we were .. and loads of work ethic to get back in frame every week ..? ..lacking loads of QUALITY  .......THATS NOT  APPARENT STILL ...?
Report DeSSieReborn February 19, 2017 8:38 PM GMT
Darmian came as a right back and impressed there, and due to injuries someone moved him over left and forgot to move him back. Would much rather he played RB than Young. Why the fcuk Jose continues to ignore Shaw is beyond me. OldD I agree re Martial, disappointing IMO because he didn't stay wide left where he has proved to be most effective. Kept coming central and getting in the way. Apart from his pass to Rashford for the goal I was disappointed with Mkhi too. Held onto the ball far too long imvho on several occasions. Fair play to Blackburn though, they rose to the occasion and made Jose pull out the big guns to press for win.

As for your comment re Romero OldD, feck me if he worries you then theres no hope because its our back 4 that creaks like a rusty gate not him.
Report easyrider69 February 19, 2017 8:44 PM GMT
Dessie i would have thought Rashford would have specific drills in training where balls are fired into him till he can get used to holding a ball up
seems a bit silly even explaining that about professional footballers.
All Martial and Rashford have to do is learn from Ibra - id have hoped Ibra would have taken him to one side and explained how what he does.
Just like Ibra took Martial to oneside and told him the basics of football are you run - run and run till you find your form. - look how much more positive Martial has been since.
The game hasnt changed you know
Report DeSSieReborn February 19, 2017 8:44 PM GMT
Jim the final ball,dead ball play and shooting been poor to average for ages.
Report grumpyjim February 19, 2017 8:45 PM GMT
will Leicester see a trip into Championship .very soon .after a wonderful year .. 12 months on is along time in footie game ?  .............
will the cars have to be traded in .? ..,50 years ago if you moved up a SPOT   OR TWO ...  ???   YOU WERE A GOOD TEAM .. ....
Harder now that every stat on your game can be found  ... in seconds .. no hiding place any more for players ....
Report grumpyjim February 19, 2017 8:52 PM GMT
missed chances more so this year are massive ..difference had they been put away .. ??
we were late out of stalls in august ,, and never recovered .. ... who is to blame .. ..ALL FOR ONE ONE .. ONE FOR ALL .. ?  ..
only slightly over  ...............HALF A BILLION IN DEBT  .......FOR THIS LOT ..  ..Bitter pill for fans  .. like PTB  .. struggling   to get to a game ..  BILLS NEED PAYING ..? Fans always pick up pieces ..??
Report anxious February 19, 2017 8:53 PM GMT
The point about accumulation of games is important  when a competitor like say Chelsea plays a lot less games , for instance when we play quarter final it is sandwiched in between next Europa league round so will play directly before and after the Chelsea game , if Chelsea had Europe this season they would not be 8 points clear .
Report peter the butcher February 19, 2017 10:14 PM GMT
Tough crowd on here sometimes.

We've lost once in twenty four games or whatever. The team are showing the attacking style we want but with a lot of steel and bottle.

United know how to chase a game and look like scoring whenever they need to and mostly can close out the game if they need to.

The manager has been excellent and he "gets" the club and the fans. After the match today he was urging the team to go the fans after the match, he loves that part of it and he knew the fans deserved it. He understands what the fans want in terms of effort, style and he says all the right things.

In my opinion he's handled the players really well. He's put a marker down and it's up to the likes of Martial, Smalling, Shaw etc to rise up and show him they want to fight for their places.

He looks content, happier and confident. Yes there are times when we aren't going to play well and that has happened but he's still found a way for us to get something. That wasn't happening after Fergie left.

I'm not too fussed about winning either of the domestic cups but that doesn't mean I want us to lose either. I just think that it should be a stepping stone to the real challenge of a serious assault on the league next year.

Wouldn't be surprised if we won two Cups or we won none tbh.

The main thing is that we are definitely heading in the right direction and we should be embracing that.
Report peter the butcher February 19, 2017 10:16 PM GMT
As anx says the accumulation of games will probably be our downfall and we might end up without winning anything and in 5th place.

Does that mean we shouldn't have tried to win the three cups? Does it f uck.........
Report peter the butcher February 19, 2017 10:16 PM GMT
As anx says the accumulation of games will probably be our downfall and we might end up without winning anything and in 5th place.

Does that mean we shouldn't have tried to win the three cups? Does it f uck.........
Report grumpyjim February 19, 2017 10:18 PM GMT
UNITED HAVE FACED THE PROBLEM IN PAST .  Sometimes with less staff and plenty of injuries   .added up .. and hard to put a team on the park ..
it can be an escape for managers if it goes wrong results wise .. and save his bacon if you like ..  we are on a great run at moment .. without defeats .. which is a big plus .. long may it continue ..and something can fit into place .. for next year .. Mangers can be wrong oftener than refs with players out of position not having a good game . wrong foot wrong side .. can be a bit hard ..  so many factors in a week to decide   only one shot at it .. often good managers have a missile to release on the bench such as today ..?
Report peter the butcher February 19, 2017 10:27 PM GMT
Evening Jim

Sometimes the games keep the adrenaline going especially if the team keep winning. The treble season showed that.

However if you get a few bad results it can quickly go tits up like the season where we couldn't beat West Ham away to win the league and then lost to Everton in the cup final. So from a potential double we win nowt. Was it 1994 or so?

But that's football and I'd rather be in a position to give ourselves a chance in a few competitions than not
Report grumpyjim February 19, 2017 10:34 PM GMT
JUST SEEN THE WINNER TODAY ..ON SKY .. REPLAY //    ........ watched game you don't see everything .. but it was a great long ball up the ..park    .. cracker seen again .??
all is well at moment . Peter .. all quiet ..  .. Hoping a win for CUP   ..Can be achieved as a BOOSTER ..? ..then a fourth spot .. as rest grapple with defeats soon ..??  .can be done .. best position this season now ..
Report peter the butcher February 19, 2017 10:39 PM GMT
Knew it was a good ball from Mikh for Rasford's goal but just seen it on telly. Didn't realise just how good it was. He is some player isn't he?
Report grumpyjim February 19, 2017 10:43 PM GMT
monday night sees  ,,,,,,, UDLP  away to Malaga   ..Always a struggle against this side for 4 years .. not much footie till tuesday. then its all go with europe ties again .?
Report grumpyjim February 19, 2017 10:47 PM GMT
BARCA got a 89 minute PENALTY ..?? scored by MESSI  WHO LOOKED RATHER UNHAPPY AT FINAL WHISTLE .. Been getting  it worst for his midweek game ... that was his poorest ever I think  ..
may be in mancsland on the ............ BLUE SIDE  .......next season ..  lost without his MENTOR .?
Report peter the butcher February 19, 2017 10:59 PM GMT
Not sure Messi's mentor will be at Citeh next season Jim. He looks as unhappy as Messi
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now