Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Aspro
26 Jun 07 10:19
| Topic/replies: 3,374 | Blogger: Aspro's blog
Everton have got this single thread lark pretty much sewn up so come on Yeedo's, let's keep one of our own! One was started recently but feck knows what happened to it however, if the interest is there I'll try and keep this up where possible.

Q - Can we really challenge the top 4?

The Players...

Robinson - Overrated?
Chimbonda - What's the latest?
Zokora - Will this be his season?
Jenus - Is the best yet to come?
Berbatov - Staying or going?
Keane - ...or Defoe?
Malbranque - Happy to keep him?
Defoe - What now?
Taarabt - Opinions?
Dawson - Improving?
Huddlestone - A future star?
Lennon - On the left?
King - Can he remain injury free?
Bale - Ready for the big time?

Just a few questions to get this going but let's not forget our leader, Martin Jol.. Is he the man to continue?

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View *** THE SPURS FILES ***
Show More
Report jed.davison May 15, 2017 3:45 PM BST
No nostalgia for me, not about the ground is it, the players make the memories.
Report JUDGE JUDY May 15, 2017 3:46 PM BST
Can't agree TWD

To me it's about everything

The players

the friends you made at football

The stadium

The history made in that stadium
Report JUDGE JUDY May 15, 2017 3:51 PM BST
So much about modern day football aggravates me

If you compare pictures of the Arsenal team in 1971 the red shirts were so different to what you see now

Then it was a deep red

Now it's like a bit of an orangery red

And the crest the  badge

The modern one stinks
Report jed.davison May 15, 2017 3:59 PM BST
Everything about Arsenal stinks, and it always has done.

HTH
Report JUDGE JUDY May 15, 2017 4:04 PM BST
Trying to have a sensible discussion

Never mind
Report jed.davison May 15, 2017 4:22 PM BST
Go and talk to your fellow Arsenal fans, I'm sure they will talk all the sense you deserve. There is a thread especially for such people on here I understand.
Report JUDGE JUDY May 15, 2017 4:35 PM BST
You are rather sad jed.

As I said never mind

I am sure there are some genuine football fans on here somewhere
Report Kit-Kat-Dan May 15, 2017 4:52 PM BST
As it happens I agree with JJ about the ground creating memories. Of course we remember the players but none of them have been around for 118 years and plenty of them have been downright forgettable.

I live in what is commonly known as the North and have been a Spurs fan for nigh on 45 years. In that time I've been to WHL only a handful of times but watched the closing scenes yesterday with a misty eye and a lump in the throat. Having said that, the new ground looks incredible and I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.
Report jed.davison May 15, 2017 4:53 PM BST
Each to his own, as I said in the first place.
Report rogerthebutler May 15, 2017 5:03 PM BST
I agree with Jed more or less (see May 12, 2017 3:41), with the addition that all this rheumy-eyed nostalgia for a ground I don't believe wwe are leaving and an area we are definitely not, makes it all that harder to bed into Wembley next season.

It's a ready-made excuse for us underperforming and plays very neatly into the 'Spurs can't play at Wembley' narrative
Report ribero1 May 15, 2017 5:50 PM BST
Come on Jed,JJ comes in peace.
Report jed.davison May 15, 2017 5:52 PM BST
I know he does, I've been chatting to him for the last dozen years. He might come in peace, I don't LaughLaugh
Report sofaking May 16, 2017 3:43 AM BST
Worth a read.

Farewell to White Hart Lane

David Hytner

The historian
John Fennelly, club historian
According to legend, the cockerel and ball that sits on top of the East Stand, having been relocated from the West Stand in 1958, was full of gold. I don't know how it got started but one bloke was sufficiently convinced to climb up and try to steal it. He was arrested. That would have been in the 1940s or 1950s.

By the 1980s, the Tottenham chairman, Irving Scholar, decided to see for himself. The original copper piece was cast by William James Scott, who had played for the club in the old amateur days, and it went up in 1909. I was a reporter on the local paper when Scholar got it down and opened it up. There were a couple of photographers with us and we smiled when we saw what was inside - a soaking wet, old handbook.
It's amazing how these sort of things gather momentum but it is the little stories about White Hart Lane that I love. When I first started working on the local paper, I used to interview the old members of staff, who had been at the club since before the second World War.

There used to be a thing about people bringing cockerels to the matches - in the 1960s, I think - because the cockerel was on the club's badge. They'd just let them go. Can you imagine that these days? There was an old geezer on the ground staff, who was an animal lover, and he would round up the cockerels and take them home. At dawn every day, these bloody things would be crowing away and the club would get hammered with complaints from the neighbours.
During the first World War, the ministry of war took over the stadium and the East Stand was used as a factory to make gas masks, gunnery and protection equipment, while in World War II the stand was a morgue because the blitz happened around here. Football carried on during that war and the club would have games stopped when a doodlebug went across. They'd wait until it had gone and you'd hear it explode somewhere else and then they'd carry on. It was incredible.

My first game at White Hart Lane was in 1966. My dad took me and we lost to Burnley. We watched it from The Shelf, which was the most famous part of the ground.
I remember our FA Youth Cup final against Coventry City in 1969-70. The two legs finished level on aggregate and so it went to a replay, which was drawn. We won the second replay 1-0. Graeme Souness played for us and he didn't get a medal because he had been sent off in the first match. They let him play and then didn't give him a medal. How offensive was that?

After that, I'll never forget our win over the league champions Leeds United in 1975, which we needed to avoid relegation. It was the game in which Alfie Conn sat on the ball and upset both sides. Incredibly, I missed the 1984 UEFA Cup final win over Anderlecht because I was on holiday but I was there in 1972 when we won the same trophy against Wolverhampton Wanderers. As with Anderlecht, the second leg was at the Lane, which made it even more special.
It is amazing to think how much has changed since the club was formed in 1882 and they played on Tottenham Marshes and Northumberland Park before the move to White Hart Lane in 1899. But what is great for me about the new stadium being built on the existing site is that it remains the proverbial goal-kick from where it all started.

The legend

Cliff Jones, 1961 double winner

I will never forget the look on the faces of the Gornik Zabrze players. They were looking around and saying: "What on earth is this?" They were intimidated and you could say that they were a goal down before we kicked off. It was the first European Cup tie at White Hart Lane - in 1961 - and we absolutely slaughtered them. It finished 8-1 and it was down to the crowd. They just picked us up and said: "Go." When you played on the continent, you had running tracks around the playing areas and so the spectators would be 15-20 yards back. But at White Hart Lane they were right, smack on top of you.
Gornik had beaten us 4-2 in the first leg over in Poland and they were a very good side. Most of them were in the Polish national team. But Bill Nicholson got us right up for the second leg and that night I think we would have beaten any team that had ever been or ever will be.
It was the beginning of the glory, glory European nights and no team wanted to draw us, partly because of the atmosphere that our crowd would generate. We beat everyone at White Hart Lane, even Eusébio's Benfica, although they got past us on aggregate. Eusébio didn't get a kick in either leg but he did have Dave Mackay marking him. Mackay was quite intimidating. We'd wear all-white strips in Europe and there was just something about those evening kick-offs. The air seemed a bit fresher and it was as though you could run a bit longer and a bit faster.

I almost did not make the FA Cup quarter-final replay against Sunderland in our double-winning year. I used to come down to White Hart Lane with my wife Joan and a good friend of mine, and we could only get as far as Creighton Road because everything was gridlocked. Creighton Road was the one where Bill Nicholson lived and it was about a mile from the stadium. So, I had to make my way on foot. I got to the gates at White Hart Lane and it was surrounded by thousands of supporters. I tried to squeeze through.

I said: "I'm playing tonight." People said: "What are you talking about, mate? Ah, Cliff. On you go!" They pushed me through and I got in 20 minutes before kick-off. A number of the lads experienced the same thing but we still won 5-0.
When you talk about Spurs and White Hart Lane, you talk about Bill Nicholson. He ran the club from the bootroom to the boardroom. You didn't mess with him. He had an office at White Hart Lane and you didn't want to be called into it.

One time, Jimmy Greaves convinced me that I should go in to see Bill about a pay rise. It didn't go very well. I told him that I deserved it because I thought I was the best winger in Europe. "Is that right, son," Bill said. "On the way out, close the door behind you." And that was it. I must say, though, that some months later, he called me in and he did give me the rise. That was his way of doing things.

It will be emotional to see the old stadium knocked down but I think the ghosts will continue to lurk around. I'm sure Danny Blanchflower will be there somewhere. and And Mackay.

The player

Harry Winks, midfielder
One of the things that would probably surprise people about the stadium is how low the ceiling is in the home dressing room. I can almost touch it. It's quite tight in there and it gets the camaraderie going between us.

My dad is a massive Spurs fan who started going to White Hart Lane with his uncle when he was knee-high, and I've grown up with the club in my blood. I can't really describe the feeling when I'm in the tunnel, about to walk out and they play the music. I think it's from Star Wars. I get hairs standing up on my neck, like me and my dad did when we used to go as fans in the crowd. It's just amazing.

My favourite game as a fan was probably the first one that my dad took me to - against Middlesbrough, when I was six or seven. I'd started playing at the club's academy and one of the coaching staff managed to sort us out with tickets in one of the directors' boxes. We were bang on halfway, in the leather seats. I remember the crowd and my little ears being overwhelmed by the noise. When I play now and I hear the crowd, it still gives me the buzz I had when I was that age.
Every European night that I've been to or been involved in, whether it's Europa League or Champions League, has been special. I didn't go to the Inter Milan game in 2010-11, when Gareth Bale ran Maicon ragged , but I remember going to the Real Madrid quarter-final tie later in that Champions League season. I was a flag bearer on the night so I got to go on to the pitch before the game. I was up close with Cristiano Ronaldo - I could see him up close. All the academy players got to do flag bearing once or twice a season in the European games and I was designated Real Madrid. I was really lucky.

I made my full Premier League debut at White Hart Lane in November of this season against West Ham and it was surreal when I scored. I ran over to the manager and my mum and dad were in the box just above the dugout and I remember looking up to them and blowing them a kiss.

Everyone will be emotional when White Hart Lane is knocked down but at the same time there is excitement about the new ground. More fans will be able to come and, hopefully, the atmosphere will be as good.
Observer

Report FIGJAM May 16, 2017 12:05 PM BST
I got the impression that Mourinho was casting envious eyes at our players,compared to his inefficient multi million so called stars.They have been misfiring all year and he must have been impressed especially comparing his defence with ours, although to be fair their best player was de Gea.
If and it's a big if we can retain the players we want to keep and sell the ones we don't, then next season Wembley or no Wembley we should at least win something.
Thank God we have a chairman who is astute and ambitious as Levy, whose steerage of our club has been so impressive, with a good manager,new training ground and a magnificent new stadium, so unlike the Chavs who owe their chairman at present and rising in excess of £1000,000,000 (£1 billion), can't wait to see that paid back.Cool
Report LAMBETH WALK May 17, 2017 11:29 PM BST
you,ve missed the boat boys, you should have won a pot the last 2 seasons, next season everyone except you will improve , plus you gotta play at wembley and no way will you only lose 3 games or go unbeaten at home , your doomed , then all your young stars will have it on their bromleys  and the gooners will rise above you as usual  ...... ZIGGER ZAGGER
Report sofaking May 18, 2017 1:10 AM BST
What is it with these attention seeking, semi-literate saddos and their obsession with Spurs...Confused PFO.
Report Regular Fries May 18, 2017 10:22 PM BST
Hugely enjoyable game tonight.

I know Leicester had a makeshift back four but the front three absolutely tore them to shreds tonight and that was with Eriksen on the bench!

20+ goals each for Kane, Son and Alli this season. It's been a belter.
Report FIGJAM May 18, 2017 11:27 PM BST
Yep big win without Eriksen, but a huge mention for Davies who's fitted in seamlessly at left back, OK he's not Danny Rose but he's been outstanding in his absence. Two right backs injured but you wouldn't have known it, and even Sissoko put in a shift.
Both their centre backs missing  but a class display took full advantage of that.
A whip round might be needed for  Hull on Saturday.Wink
Report mafeking May 19, 2017 2:54 AM BST
as dead rubbers go i rather enjoyed that Grin

what can you say about harry kane ? 32 goals this season almost certainly now gonna retain his golden boot in the league despite missing best part of 3 months football. surely he's indisputably the best player in the league ? the game's about goals and he scores bundles of them
Report Kit-Kat-Dan May 19, 2017 10:21 AM BST
I've been critical of some of our performances this season, especially the west ham debacle, but last night was exceptionally good, against, irrespective of absences, the reigning champions. All the more pleasing following the collapse at the end of last season.

No Eriksen, no first choice full backs and just a sh1t jamie vardy upfront apparently! Sissoko's best game by a country mile and Wanyama and Dembele totally bossing the midfield. And if the 15 minutes that young Lesniak put in are anything to go by he's another one for the future.
Report Lance in France May 19, 2017 11:53 AM BST
mafeking - I see you are up in the 2.00 at Newbury today!
Report mafeking May 19, 2017 2:38 PM BST
lance, not up to much on that performance unlike harry kane

must have been a bloodbath for the spread boys last night. kane hungry for goals against a makeshift back 4 and 2 late goals for a whopping goals minutes make up. can't imagine there would have been many sellers
Report Can't Catch Me May 20, 2017 8:57 AM BST
A great stat (as they usually are) from Duncan Alexander:

Tottenham’s PL goal difference this season: +52

Tottenham’s PL goal difference between 1992-93 & 2011-12: +52
Report Regular Fries May 20, 2017 10:36 AM BST
Amazing isn't it.

It wasn't that long ago, even in Poch's first season possibly that we were bemoaning the GD and Spurs were winning a lot of games by the odd game.

Certainly addressed that problem this season.

Next job, picking up more points away from home.
Report mafeking May 20, 2017 12:56 PM BST
no need to overanalyse things. we're good enough to win the league right now. just got keep doing what we've been doing. mid 80s points would probably win the league 4 times out of 10

never gonna match this season's home record ever again however good we are. should be aiming for something like 45 points at home and 40 away
Report TheAnorak May 21, 2017 10:43 AM BST
Maf,

History says a 50/35 split is more often what wins the title - United won in 2011 with a 55/25 split thanks to 10 away draws combined with 18 home wins. It's very rare for any team to get more than 40pts away, but at least 15 home wins is essential.

That's what makes last year such an oddity, as no team managed more than 12 home wins, which will surely remain a unique season.
Report 23nights May 21, 2017 4:26 PM BST
coys............great season really need silverware though...harry kane shutting up the doubters has been fun....this time next year rodders  etc..
Report propunter1 May 21, 2017 7:56 PM BST
86 points, Unbeaten at home in our last season at The Lane, Most goals scored, Least goals scored against
+60 Goal difference, 3 20+ goalscorers - Excellent season. Well done Poch and players.

It's absolute madness reading all of that and not having a league title at the end of it too.
Report rogerthebutler May 22, 2017 11:24 AM BST
In hindsight I was happy to be at the final game of last season at Newcastle Utd, in order to witness the last 'Spursy' performance (hopefully ever).

In contrast to these last two games where, with nothing to play for, we turned in two of the most ruthless and professional performances in my memory. Not only were they putting down a marker for next season, they seemed to be a team totally at ease with themselves, effectively (to me at least) saying no one wants to leave, we are excited as hell about what the future holds and as for next season? Bring it on!

I hope Daniel Levy thinks the same and he shows ambition by getting his transfer dealings done early, proving management want it as much as the players.
Report FIGJAM May 22, 2017 12:36 PM BST
I don't think that anyone can doubt the unlimited ambition of Levy.
The only problems I can see is that Joe Lewis is in his eighties and there is always a chance a Chinese Stan Kroenke can come along.SadSad
Report propunter1 May 22, 2017 3:01 PM BST
Mauricio Pochettino will become the first Tottenham manager to start a 4th consecutive full season since Keith Burkinshaw (1976-84) - thank you Poch
Report sofaking May 22, 2017 6:24 PM BST
A Kane stat:

Kane has now scored more Premier League hat-tricks in the last three days than Gareth Bale, Eric Cantona, Diego Costa, Olivier Giroud, Cristiano Ronaldo and Daniel Sturridge have managed in their entire careers. Just four players have scored more Premier League hat-tricks in history, and he is still only 23. His 29 goals have come in 30 games, and he has missed two separate spells this season with ankle injuries.

Report mafeking May 22, 2017 7:50 PM BST
yesterday's rout of hull brought to a close a season in which i think beyond question we witnessed the best and most consistently high quality football a spurs team has produced in the last 50 years. people who've been going far longer than me can't remember us playing better since the double side - as it happens the last 2 demolition jobs mean both sides finished with an identical goal difference of +60

i personally only saw us lose twice in domestic competitions - i missed 5 games in the league - and astonishingly none before april. if you'd have told me that in august i'd have thought we would surely win the league and maybe one of the cups too. don't think it's far fetched to suggest we could win the league in the next few years and not match the heights of this season

a fantastic well done to mauricio pochettino and players. don't think you could say any of the regular starters were less than 8 out of 10. 6 or 8 players could have been player of the year. what about harry kane though ? his numbers are just phenomenal. 75 goals in 95 league starts since he was given his chance against stoke in october 2014 wih 8 hat tricks - greaves got 15 for spurs. surely gonna go close to breaking the prem scoring record

5 years ago after harry redknapp left on the back of a 4-5-4 finish can remember the concensus was we might wait decades before a similar run of high finishes. that has been smashed to pieces under pochettino. the club has moved so much even that short space of time when we would have over the moon to snatch a CL place while yesterday other clubs were fighting desperately over the scraps on the CL table. even if next year at wembley may provide a more difficult challenge really looking forward to next season and the exciting future that lies ahead. it may have taken a long time but looks like daniel levy is gonna provide with a superb football friendly new ground which should move us on to the next level. HappyHappyHappy COYS
Report Kit-Kat-Dan May 22, 2017 8:29 PM BST
Agree with your comments re the regular starters mafe, I just think we need to improve our attacking options from the bench for when things aren't going our way. Having said that I do accept that it's difficult to bring players in who'll have to settle for a back-up spot.

We also need to be a bit 'luckier' as our recent experiences of dodgy lasagne, losing a CL spot when the chavs qualified in our place by winning it, finishing above all the big boys last season but losing out to a freakishly good Leicester side and coming 2nd on 86 points this season sometimes makes me think we must've walked under a few ladders behind a black cat at some point.

Anyway we need to be cheering Ajax on Wednesday, as if they win we'll be in pot 2 for the next CL draw, but I really can't see Jose letting this one slip.
Report rogerthebutler May 23, 2017 10:03 AM BST

May 22, 2017 -- 8:29PM, Kit-Kat-Dan wrote:

Agree with your comments re the regular starters mafe, I just think we need to improve our attacking options from the bench for when things aren't going our way. Having said that I do accept that it's difficult to bring players in who'll have to settle for a back-up spot.We also need to be a bit 'luckier' as our recent experiences of dodgy lasagne, losing a CL spot when the chavs qualified in our place by winning it, finishing above all the big boys last season but losing out to a freakishly good Leicester side and coming 2nd on 86 points this season sometimes makes me think we must've walked under a few ladders behind a black cat at some point.Anyway we need to be cheering Ajax on Wednesday, as if they win we'll be in pot 2 for the next CL draw, but I really can't see Jose letting this one slip.

Re attacking options from the bench and settling for a back up spot than I hope we've sent the limousine up to Sunderland for Jermaine Defoe!

Report TheAnorak May 23, 2017 10:38 AM BST
Likewise, I hope we don't send it to Everton for Ross Barkley - undeniable talent, but never looks properly fit, never seems to deliver a 90 minute performance, and shows very little sign of having a football brain.

Looking back on the the three years of Poch, read this list of the departed and ponder the total transformation he's managed:

Dawson, Kaboul, Chiriches. Fazio, Naughton, Assou-Ekotto, Fryers, Bentaleb, Livermore, Mason, Paulinho, Capoue, Townsend, Chadli, Soldado, Adebayor, Holtby, Yedlin, Stambouli, Sandro, Siggy.
Report jed.davison May 23, 2017 11:05 AM BST
I have never believed for a second that Pochettino would be interested in signing Ross Barkley - but then if you'd told me three years ago that he would turn Walker and Rose into the best two full-backs in the country I'd have laughed in your face. There does exist the possibility that he could make Barkley the best he could possibly be, which perhaps would be some player.

Just like to echo all the sentiments expressed so far - what a team.
Report rogerthebutler May 23, 2017 11:06 AM BST
Indeed - and you get the impression that Sissoko was a Levy-job, shopping around for a last minute bargain (which he was far from).

I hope our transfer dealings are conducted quickly, with the bulk of this (young) squad staying together. Walker, if media rumours are to be believed, looks the likeliest of the first team squad to go, which I'd be disappointed in, but depending on price, may be good business. Sissoko? Jansen (hope not as there are sparks there he could be good, but Poch doesn't seem to fancy him)? Onomah? Nkoudu? Wimmer? Is Njie still on the books?

Other than Defoe, who to me looks like an absolute no-brainer if we're playing fantasy signings, I'm quite relaxed and trust Poch's judgement as to who he brings in.

Agree on giving Barkely a wide berth.
Report jed.davison May 23, 2017 11:09 AM BST
Bournemouth have offered Defoe a six-figure a week three-year deal. And he's gonna come to Spurs to sit on the bench again, for half that dough on a one-year deal? Not in this lifetime I'm afraid
Report jed.davison May 23, 2017 11:09 AM BST
Much as I would love to see him in the lilywhite again.
Report Regular Fries May 23, 2017 11:11 AM BST
I just hope that he can keep them all together. Talk of Waker to City 'a done deal' and even though Trippier has come to the fore the season I just don't like the message it sends to the other players and other teams.

On the one hand I see a real team spirit, the players are improving under the manager and they will know that. There must also be a group belief that they can win things. There's also a brilliant new stadium on the horizon and in the mean time you get to play at Wembley every other week which can't be seen as a bad thing surely.

On the flip side you'll have other clubs offering double your wages and an agent in your ear pushing for you to move.

I honestly think Mourinho paying the likes of Jesse Lingaard £100k a week is purely designed to unsettle players from other clubs!
Report jed.davison May 23, 2017 11:12 AM BST
With regard to Walker, let him go. If somebody wants to pay £40m for him, they better make sure they get Pochettino to keep managing him, because I suspect that without the system Pochettino favours he will revert to being a total liability.
Report TheAnorak May 23, 2017 11:51 AM BST
I've a feeling that the Walker deal might be because Poch knows he won't stand training for much longer, to put it in horse racing parlance. A bit like the shrewd French trainer that sold a horse called Max Do Brazil to Pipe for £160k back in December - three runs for Pipe, PU, PU, PU!
Report jed.davison May 23, 2017 12:07 PM BST
Ultimately, paying tens of millions of pounds for defenders is a joke anyway, because a decent coach can make a great defence out of ordinary players.
Report FIGJAM May 23, 2017 12:17 PM BST
If the Chavs win the FA Cup who do they contest the Community Shield with,us or the Scum?
Report jed.davison May 23, 2017 12:25 PM BST
No idea, good question
Report jed.davison May 23, 2017 12:25 PM BST
They will win the final about 7-0 imo.
Report Lance in France May 23, 2017 12:25 PM BST
It would be the league runners up figgy. Nice warm up for all the home games to come.

On transfers I'd personally like Sunderland's keeper. I like Hugo and he is a brilliant shot stopper but gives you a heart attack with his distribution. Can't he see the player he is passing it to (and badly passed at that) is about to be closed down by 2 maybe 3 opponents?
Report TheAnorak May 23, 2017 12:27 PM BST
They could take on a John Terry tribute eleven - always assuming JT could find ten players willing to bask in his glory.
Report Lance in France May 23, 2017 12:37 PM BST
Wayne Bridge will be first up
Report Regular Fries May 23, 2017 2:33 PM BST
Pickford for Vorm I could see with the future in mind but I wouldn't be hasty to ship out Lloris. Think you need that bit of experience in nets and I think it may have been Mafe who pointed out that he's probably under instructions from the manager to play it out from back and we don't know if Pickford would have the skills to take that up (bar his gaff against Chelsea on Sunday).
Report mafeking May 23, 2017 2:52 PM BST
indeed RF any new keeper would be instructed to play the same way and as i've said might take him months to get up to speed doing it. in any event how many goals has hugo fannying about with at the back cost us this season ? i can only think of 1 in a home game we won anyway. pochettino will rightly argue we've scored many more from playing in such a way

we could certainly do with a large dollop of old fashioned luck. go back over the last 10 years since we've had something to play for in the league most years and either the team we're in direct competition with has gone on unbelievable winning run hardly dropping any points or we've been on the wrong end of some incredible far fetched scenario

as for walker relaxed about seeing him go. trippier has been excellent for the most part in recent weeks and walker will be 27 in the summer and his game is all about speed often getting him out of trouble when out of postion. if he thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the fence let him try it out. suspect it will be a bit different playing behind city's chocolate fireguard of a midfield and having to hold the hand of the likes of stones and otamendi
Report mafeking May 23, 2017 2:54 PM BST
and yes we will be the patsies for the chavs on august 6 should the gooners not pull off a miracle on saturday. realised we were likely to be in the community shield even before the cup semi final
Report LAMBETH WALK May 23, 2017 11:11 PM BST
oh ..so its all about Donald Duck now is it ?  just remember EL CIDS .... CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE ... your NEVER  sing that.... ZIGGER ZAGGER
Report rogerthebutler May 24, 2017 7:52 AM BST

May 23, 2017 -- 11:11PM, LAMBETH WALK wrote:

oh ..so its all about Donald Duck now is it ?

Report propunter1 May 25, 2017 10:00 PM BST
good read ...

https://thespursreport.wordpress.com/2017/05/25/qa-your-questions-answered-on-the-new-spurs-stadium-and-the-state-of-the-clubs-finances/
Report TheAnorak May 27, 2017 7:02 PM BST
NOW they decide Moses is a diver!
Report FIGJAM May 27, 2017 7:14 PM BST
I was thinking the same, hoist by his own petard.CrazyCrazy
Report Knight Rider May 27, 2017 7:18 PM BST
Just sums up the "have to win silverware" thing.  Yes it's nice, but give me our season over Arsenal's all day long.  I've seen some terrible Spurs teams win trophies, it's just luck & timing as much as anything.
Report rogerthebutler May 27, 2017 7:53 PM BST
I was half-pleased with that Cup Final result.

I wanted both teams to lose
Report ufcdan May 27, 2017 7:59 PM BST
Just sums up the "have to win silverware" thing.  Yes it's nice, but give me our season over Arsenal's all day long.  I've seen some terrible Spurs teams win trophies, it's just luck & timing as much as anything.

Yes knight rider Arsenal wins a trophy and you lot win fu ck all suits me too Laugh
Report ribero1 May 27, 2017 8:44 PM BST
Hard one Roger,but although didn't post before if you'd pinned me down would go for Arsenal,proper club at the end the day.
Report Wesdag May 28, 2017 6:42 PM BST
Incredible to think that Arsenal have won the FA Cup EIGHT times since Spurs last did.

As well as Spurs have played over the last couple of years, there's still nothing to show for it.
Report propunter1 May 30, 2017 10:43 AM BST
Today The Mirror say that Kyle Walker is only on £55,000 per week. Apparently Danny Rose is on even less.

Manchester City or Manchester United or even LFC could double/even triple these salaries and not skip a beat.

Levy’s unwillingness to pay 'market rate wages' cannot be sustainable in an industry that is entirely about cash and status. It will be a long summer ....
Report jed.davison May 30, 2017 10:52 AM BST
It will be a very long summer if we have to spend it reading another three-months worth of anti-Levy nonsense from you.

What you seem to fail to understand is that contracts are signed by two parties.
Report FIGJAM May 30, 2017 11:09 AM BST
I can't see anyone tripling Walker's salary(who's been displaced by Trippier), unless the Village Idiot a successful business man in his own right will chip in the odd 50 grand a week, but then then the inmates would be running the asylum.
In the circumstances Liverpool (a two city club) will have significant lower crowd attendance than us but of course have spent a much lesser amount expanding their ground.They will need a huge kitty to fill the spaces in their team to challenge for honours.

More worrying is Danny Rose opening his gob with his home spun philosophy regarding the running of the club.
Report propunter1 May 30, 2017 2:31 PM BST
Jed, I thought I had been reasonably complimentary towards Levy - getting old and all that.

having a player with a long contract is one thing and that player performing to his potential is another. Remember Eriksen's performances
Report jed.davison May 30, 2017 2:41 PM BST
What does that mean, 'remember eriksen's performances?'

In fact, don't even answer that. It will just involve me in more annoyance no doubt.
Report JUDGE JUDY May 30, 2017 3:35 PM BST
ribero1
ribero1 27 May 17 20:44 Joined: 08 Mar 03 | Topic/replies: 7,999 | Blogger: ribero1's blog
Hard one Roger,but although didn't post before if you'd pinned me down would go for Arsenal,proper club at the end the day.

Thank you rib. Unlike others on here you are a proper genuine fan of football
Report ribero1 May 30, 2017 4:23 PM BST
No worries JJ,maybe being from the north I don't share the same animosity,however being a relative oldie the Man city's and Chelsea's of the world do nothing for me.
Hope you enjoyed Saturday,with Spurs not being involved for an eternity I can't remember the last cup final I watched when of course it used to be the best day in the football calendar,the 5.30 kick is a real turn off, I actually prefer the league cup final,at least its at a civilised time on a sunday.
Report FIGJAM May 31, 2017 9:04 PM BST
£400 million funding in place but s yet no naming rights.
I've suggested" Arsene Wenger 2 more years" but as yet haven't had a reply.Sad
Report mafeking May 31, 2017 10:06 PM BST
some on them on the gooner thread seem to think being in the europa league will give them an advantage over the rest of the top 6. good luck with that. think they're in for a rude awakening

we've seen how hard it is to deal with the constant diet of thur/sun games often in far flung parts of europe. even if you play mix and match sides difficult to prepare properly for the weekend game
Report TheAnorak June 1, 2017 3:58 PM BST
Does anybody know if we'll be able to play at Wembley on the weekends that they are already booked to host another sport - e.g rugby league final on Aug 27th, NFL games on Sept 24th and Oct 1st. Or will the fixture list have to fit around these dates and give us away games?

Also on fixtures, a little bet that we'll face West Ham on one of the two weekends - they have to play all three August fixtures away from their 'home' while it gets rebuilt after the World Athletics.
Report FIGJAM June 1, 2017 8:35 PM BST
I seem to remember that the premiership games are made on a "preference" basis, they are not pulled out of a hat willy nilly, I don't believe that the powers that be have  denied that arrangement.
Doesn't stop Mourinho for example moaning like f..k about fixtures though.
Report FIGJAM June 3, 2017 5:42 PM BST
A friend of mine played golf this week with someone who called himself a statistician.
The bloke told him to back Spurs to get relegated, I know, I know.
However I said to him if he must have a bet sell the spread.
It's not my thing but I'm b.ggared if I can find the spread, unless I register with one of the firms.
Can anyone tell me what is the market for the premier league,and I don't mean betting odds?
Report mafeking June 3, 2017 6:39 PM BST
still early days but would imagine it would something in the region of 73-75
Report propunter1 June 3, 2017 9:19 PM BST
Forget about Isco (not good enough) - bring back Modric (what a player)
Report TheAnorak June 5, 2017 1:14 PM BST
Interestng watching the U20 World Cup q-final on Eurosport now - Josh Onomah playing and looking comfortable as a holding central midfielder. And Kyle Walker-Peters, who I've seen mentioend as a backup to Trippier if the older Walker leaves, is playing left back and looks a lot more left footed than your average right back!

Figgy,

I've no idea why, but Sporting Index have only priced up six teams on the points total market, and no quote for us so far. They have Chelsea at 78 - 79.5, Arsenal at 72.5 - 74.
Report FIGJAM June 6, 2017 11:28 PM BST
Interesting post Anorak,I've watched Onomah on quite a few occasions and you are the first person to define his role, because I'm b.ggared if I could see what he brings to our team. I've always thought he's the king's new clothes.
I've certainly not watched the U20s.The left sided Walker-Peters also puts the kibosh on a back up for Walker, because it made sense if he was any good he would substitute Trippier if Walker was to go.

I also saw the S Index quotes as well, perhaps if you get any further info you could let me know on that score.
Report propunter1 June 11, 2017 1:08 PM BST
England won U20 football world cup - well done boys.

Onomah had an excellent game playing CM - Good talent
Report propunter1 June 11, 2017 1:32 PM BST
http://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/players/onomah-england-venez...
Report FIGJAM June 13, 2017 10:32 AM BST
Has anyone noticed our predilection with wingers and the failure to sign a successful one yet?
One on the bench and one on loan,according to the  press we're linked with anyone and everyone but all without fruition.
Report jed.davison June 13, 2017 11:34 AM BST
I thought we saw some encouraging signs from N'Koudou last season in the few minutes he was given.
Report jed.davison June 13, 2017 11:35 AM BST
He's 22 btw, so will come on one would think.
Report FIGJAM June 13, 2017 12:01 PM BST
I would agree but manager has limited his games and doesn't appear to have any faith in him.
Report jed.davison June 13, 2017 12:19 PM BST
Very hard for anyone to break into our first team at the moment Figgy surely?
Report TheAnorak June 14, 2017 9:02 AM BST
First PL game at Wembley is against Chelsea!
Report TheAnorak June 14, 2017 9:13 AM BST
Fixtures weekend after CL group games are:

Swansea H, Huddersfield A, Liverpool H, Palace H, West Brom H, Stoke H.

Which must be about as good as you could hope for.
Report rommel June 14, 2017 9:25 AM BST
Saturday 12 August 2017

Newcastle
    15:00
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 19 August 2017

Spurs
    Chelsea
    Quick View

Saturday 26 August 2017

Spurs
    Burnley
    Quick View

Saturday 9 September 2017

Everton
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 16 September 2017

Spurs
    Swansea
    Quick View

Saturday 23 September 2017

West Ham
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 30 September 2017

Huddersfield
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 14 October 2017

Spurs
    Bournemouth
    Quick View

Saturday 21 October 2017

Spurs
    Liverpool
    Quick View

Saturday 28 October 2017

Man Utd
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 4 November 2017

Spurs
    Crystal Palace
    Quick View

Saturday 18 November 2017

Arsenal
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 25 November 2017

Spurs
    West Brom
    Quick View

Tuesday 28 November 2017

Leicester
    19:45
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 2 December 2017

Watford
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 9 December 2017

Spurs
    Stoke
    Quick View

Wednesday 13 December 2017

Spurs
    20:00
    Brighton
    Quick View

Saturday 16 December 2017

Man City
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 23 December 2017

Burnley
    Spurs
    Quick View

Tuesday 26 December 2017

Spurs
    Southampton
    Quick View

Saturday 30 December 2017

Spurs
    West Ham
    Quick View

Monday 1 January 2018

Swansea
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 13 January 2018

Spurs
    Everton
    Quick View

Saturday 20 January 2018

Southampton
    Spurs
    Quick View

Wednesday 31 January 2018

Spurs
    20:00
    Man Utd
    Quick View

Saturday 3 February 2018

Liverpool
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 10 February 2018

Spurs
    Arsenal
    Quick View

Saturday 24 February 2018

Crystal Palace
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 3 March 2018

Spurs
    Huddersfield
    Quick View

Saturday 10 March 2018

Bournemouth
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 17 March 2018

Spurs
    Newcastle
    Quick View

Saturday 31 March 2018

Chelsea
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 7 April 2018

Stoke
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 14 April 2018

Spurs
    Man City
    Quick View

Saturday 21 April 2018

Brighton
    Spurs
    Quick View

Saturday 28 April 2018

Spurs
    Watford
    Quick View

Saturday 5 May 2018

West Brom
    Spurs
    Quick View

Sunday 13 May 2018

Spurs
    Leicester
    Quick View

Lead PartnerEA SPORTS
    Official BankBarclays
    Official Snack PartnerCadbury
    Official BeerCarling
Report FIGJAM June 19, 2017 12:23 PM BST
I notice West Sham supporter Fatty Samuel has not one but two digs at Spurs in his column today.
He should look closer to home as his team are in a right sh.t state, and according to my mate a season ticket holder that it's best to ignore everyone they are rumoured to buy as nothing ever happens.
Report mafeking June 19, 2017 1:54 PM BST
as you say he should be more concerned about his own shambles of a club which has been lumbered with an absolute monstrosity of a football ground. in stark contrast any reasonable hack should know we are comfortably the best run club in the league

presuming walker is leaving and that won't be anything less than well over the odds no way on earth any other senior player will be going anywhere this summer. that quoted fee i suspect is to tell united politely to do one

as for miss riley she's simply sensibly realised she's way out of her depth presenting football
Report FIGJAM June 20, 2017 12:30 PM BST
Most clubs are preoccupied with buying players,I'd like to see some of the driftwood removed quickly as well.Angry
Report jed.davison June 20, 2017 4:24 PM BST
I see Lamela's 'injury' will now see him miss the start of the season.

Obviously the type of injury which will keep a man out for a year rather than to the end of the season. Must have been a serious injury.
Report Regular Fries June 22, 2017 1:31 PM BST
I've been out of the country for a week so out of touch with comings and goings. Dani Alves is off to City on a free though according the Italian press so I don't know where that leaves Walker.
Report jed.davison June 22, 2017 7:04 PM BST
Talk is that they want to sign both of them - think they have released Zabaleta and Sagna this summer so they have no right backs.
Report Solano1 June 22, 2017 9:00 PM BST
Moussa (Laugh) can fill in at RB, jed. Plain
Report FIGJAM June 22, 2017 11:26 PM BST
I see Sports Direct are temporarily back in favour then Solano until the next time.
As I understand it we're paying for the aforementioned in stages so if he goes soon the total sum should be the amortisation, because some mug  will buy him for silly money.

We've got history with the Bale money although in the end we ended up with one good player out of seven who's worth half the money we "invested". In addition there is of course Lame Ella living up to his nom de plume.
Report Solano1 June 22, 2017 11:37 PM BST
That's broadly correct, Fig.
Find some clown to pay £24m for him before deadline day and you've only spunked £6m.
At a more realistic £2.4m, you owe Sports Direct £21.6m.

To be fair, he had his best game since his home debut v Chelsea in his last home game v your mob.
Potch seduced?
Report Aspro June 26, 2017 4:44 AM BST
CONGRATULATIONS! Thanks to most of you...

***THE SPURS FILES*** is 10 YEARS OLD TODAY!!!

Where does the time go!?
Report ufcdan June 26, 2017 6:54 AM BST
You could have a party..........

Of course you'd only buy your own pint Laugh

Not often I have anything positive to say about you lot but fair play to your lads yesterday at the Football lads alliance rally, you had a really good turn out. One funny moment when the floral reefs were being shown Spurs reef was the smallest which gave everyone great amusement Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now