Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Aspro
26 Jun 07 10:19
| Topic/replies: 9,025 | Blogger: Aspro's blog
Everton have got this single thread lark pretty much sewn up so come on Yeedo's, let's keep one of our own! One was started recently but feck knows what happened to it however, if the interest is there I'll try and keep this up where possible.

Q - Can we really challenge the top 4?

The Players...

Robinson - Overrated?
Chimbonda - What's the latest?
Zokora - Will this be his season?
Jenus - Is the best yet to come?
Berbatov - Staying or going?
Keane - ...or Defoe?
Malbranque - Happy to keep him?
Defoe - What now?
Taarabt - Opinions?
Dawson - Improving?
Huddlestone - A future star?
Lennon - On the left?
King - Can he remain injury free?
Bale - Ready for the big time?

Just a few questions to get this going but let's not forget our leader, Martin Jol.. Is he the man to continue?

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View *** THE SPURS FILES ***
Show More
Report propunter1 August 1, 2017 5:56 PM BST
jed, I wasn't suggesting to sell Alli or Kane. For one thing no decent attacking player replacement would join us with our wage structure even if we met the asking price (that is a big if too).

Our CEO, like any top executive should do a risk assessment regarding us achieving at least the success  of last two seasons.  The risk of loosing more players is quiet high and there is also some risk of some players not being motivated to do their best week in week out because of their financial package. There is also a risk of regression relative to the other top teams because they added real quality to their teams.

The conclusion should be to increase the wage structure substantially and buy 1-2 quality attacking players. We can afford to do this because our premium earnings and transfer fees for outgoing players (we received 50+ million for walker for god sake)

Our total points increased for the last 3 years and 86 point was an excellent achievement. I estimate that we peaked last season and If I was doing the spread for us I would predict 76-78 points for next season.
Report propunter1 August 1, 2017 6:03 PM BST
Some will point out  the development of the new stadium as a reason for our spending. However, I would remind them that our 'austerity measures' started 6-7 years ago and why are we still borrowing 800+ million pounds for this project?
Report jed.davison August 1, 2017 6:22 PM BST
You wanted us to sell the pair of them last season matey - I can find the posts if you wish.

I can't be bothered to read the rest of your post, it will only annoy me and make me shake my head repeatedly I'm sure.
Report mafeking August 1, 2017 7:04 PM BST
77 points would is higher than the spreads have us in for and would represent another excellent league season and almost certainly another top 3 finish

of course we're unlikely to match 86 points again but it's about continuing to raise our average points expectation from high 60s a few years ago which would get you 4th most years to high 70s and then if you have an above average season we might get high 80s which would win the league most years
Report hippie August 1, 2017 8:50 PM BST
Kicking a ball isn't a talent you're born with, it's taught.

In a country where riding a bike or hitting a tennis ball is enough to earn a knighthood it's easy to lose a sense of perspective but there's no disguising the fact that footballers are as thick as mince. Fụck paying an individual halfwit £250,000 a week, with no guarantee of a return, when a manager like Pochettino can build a team of nurtured youngsters to get the job done for a fraction of the price (not overlooking the gems he's already got in his ranks of course). Besides, £50,000 to £100,000 a week is hardly living on the breadline and opens up plenty of opportunity for investment.

Only one team can win the league so anyone that has shelled out the equivalent of the GDP of a small country to buy mediocre talent at vastly over-inflated prices deserves nothing but scorn when it goes tits up (fingers crossed Cụnte implodes before Christmas). It's unsustainable and in the current economic climate, especially, it's disgusting. It would be nice to see one of them go to the wall at the end of the season while we're all marvelling at Marcus Edwards' prodigious talent and his speculative £100m price-tag.

COYS, audere est facere, fụck 'em all and bring it on!
Report propunter1 August 2, 2017 1:01 PM BST
As a spurs fan, I enjoyed last 2 seasons immensely and was really disappointed when we failed to win the title. We were very close so why would any fan not want to win the bloody thing. We can't stand still while others expand - we will regress. Our negative net spending for so many years and our wage structure is holding us back.   How many players will we loose before the wage structure is corrected.

Even the most loyal and patient manager Poch at long last is now expressing his frustration regarding the lack of quality additions.

Loosing Poch (best manager in the EPL) is the biggest risk of them all. Our relative success is build like house of cards.
Report mafeking August 2, 2017 1:19 PM BST
hippie, like your style. can't be having people whinging on about not making 2nd rate signings and totally irrelevant pre seasons results. if as spurs fan you don't have utter confidence in the players and management at the moment then you never will

whatever anyone says in public i don't expect us to be doing anything other than aiming to win the league this season. never mind what the odds might suggest only 3 teams can possibly win it my opinion - city, chelsea and us. the others are have gaping holes in their sides

we still have the best central defensive partnership and the best front 2. that's a pretty formidable basis to build your side around. COYS
Report hippie August 3, 2017 5:42 PM BST

Damien Comolli has claimed that Tottenham players are “pound for pound” among the best in the world.

“The thing with Spurs which is extremely difficult for them to deal with and is probably very frustrating, is that if you take that first XI, it’s so difficult to make it better because every player is fantastic, every player is young…

“Their’s was the second youngest team in Europe among the top five teams last season and yet they finished second in the Premier League, which is the most competitive league.

“So to reinforce that team with players who are as good or better than those players, and as young too, it’s almost an impossible task.

“They’re probably looking for young and up-and-coming players to come and compliment that team, probably two or three and I’m sure they’ll achieve that in the end.

“It must be so difficult to find reinforcements for that team. Pound-for-pound, every player could play for almost every club in the world, that’s how good that starting XI is.”

http://www.squawka.com/news/spurs-have-players-pound-for-pound-among-the-wor...

Report themover August 3, 2017 6:00 PM BST
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report hippie August 3, 2017 6:22 PM BST
When citeh pay £50m+ for a sprinter it's understandable that their handful of fans might struggle with the concept of "pound for pound"

Hugo Lloris: £10.71m
Kieran Trippier: £4.17m
Toby Alderweireld: £13.60m
Jan Vertonghen: £10.63m
Danny Rose: £850k
Victor Wanyama: £12.24m
Mousa Dembele: £16.15m
Dele Alli: £5.64m
Christian Eriksen: £11.48m
Heung-Min Son: £25.50m
Harry Kane: youth product
Total cost: £110.97m

http://www.squawka.com/news/spurs-have-players-pound-for-pound-among-the-worlds-best-damien-comolli/976624
Report LAMBETH WALK August 3, 2017 7:08 PM BST
there,s no doubt you have a good 11... but till they show some bollocks and win something its just heartbreaking CryLaugh
Report rogerthebutler August 3, 2017 9:55 PM BST

Aug 3, 2017 -- 7:08PM, LAMBETH WALK wrote:

there,s no doubt you have a good 11... but till they show some bollocks and win something its just heartbreaking

Yeah - we're all crying our hearts out here Mischief

Report LAMBETH WALK August 3, 2017 10:04 PM BST
well ive backed them at 10/1 just incase they grow some Wink
Report sofaking August 5, 2017 6:44 PM BST
Trippier off with a twisted ankle. Hopefully not too serious..
Report sofaking August 5, 2017 6:45 PM BST
The attention seeking trolls are out in force I see.
Report FIGJAM August 7, 2017 11:54 AM BST
I read somewhere today that Alex Ferguson said the best time to reinforce is when you're successful.
In our case it appears exactly the opposite.
As we all know we need a more than adequate substitute for Arry and back up for Christian, and obviously highlighted now a reserve for Trippier.

Personally feeling pessimistic this season at Wembley, but optimistic for 2018/19 I'm none too surprised that we haven't reinforced, however I still would like us to finish top 4,and unless we buy that ain't going to happen.Sad
Report jed.davison August 7, 2017 12:22 PM BST
No way we'll be out of the top four figgy, whether we buy or not.
Report mafeking August 7, 2017 1:05 PM BST
we're doing nothing different from what we've been doing for the last 5 years refusing to join in the madness of city and united - we can't compete with them on thqat score anyway so why bother. better off biding our time buying cheap and selling high when we think the time is right. spent £60M last summer and 2 of those 3 signings have been a disaster so far

no way on earth we finish outside the top 3. something like 7/4 for us to finish above united must be the bet of the season. think the layers have got the prices the wrong way around
Report themover August 7, 2017 1:43 PM BST
Why is City's spending madness? City could spend £300 million in the transfer window and still show a profit.
Report hippie August 7, 2017 1:56 PM BST
"Man City's £220m summer spending spree puts them back on Uefa FFP watchlist" [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/29/manchester-citys-220-million-summer-spending-spree-puts-back/]

A £500m sponsorship deal from another Abu Dhabi company isn't showing a profit, it's creative accountancy. Neymar's transfer has put you state sponsored subbuteo clubs back under the spotlight.Laugh
Report themover August 7, 2017 2:03 PM BST
Didn't realise sponsorship isn't allowed to be included in the accounts...is this a new UEFA regulation ConfusedLaugh
Report themover August 7, 2017 2:05 PM BST
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/767752/
Tottenham-stadium-news-naming-rights-Man-United-City-Arsenal-Chelsea-Liverpool-Newcastle
Report themover August 7, 2017 2:08 PM BST
Spurs will have the best stadium in the Europa League for the 2018/19 season though Tongue Out
Report hippie August 7, 2017 2:10 PM BST
Joao Cancelo is the current name being bandied about for right back but with Juve's [arguably] even greater need for cover things could get complicated.

Max Meyer should have been brought in by now (especially if the price being stated - £17m - is correct). He won't sign a new contract with Schalke, he's got bags of potential, the clubs have a good working relationship following the sales of Stambouli and Bentaleb, and most importantly of all, Schalke have already brought in his replacement, Amine Harit. Other than Dan the Man playing brinkmanship I don't see why the deal hasn't happened. He could have had a pre-season under his belt with the squad.

N'jie bagged twice for Marseille in their opening fixture at the weekend.
Report propunter1 August 7, 2017 2:26 PM BST
Some of us  believe that ENIC had been very prudent and running an economically viable business. However, others feel ENIC could be more ambitious regarding quality/success on the pitch.

Are we really prudent to spend almost ONE BILLION pounds on building a stadium?
While having a Wafer thin squad worsened by injuries, why are we building the most expensive soccer stadium in the world and top two of all sports. Do we really need a cheese bar, viewing gallery etc?

Apparently, we will be borrowing around 800 million pounds to build it. I am sure some of us remember what happened when we overspent while building the old west stand.
Report propunter1 August 7, 2017 2:31 PM BST
Now that league is starting we need to be 100% behind the team and the manager. I am expecting 1-2 heavy defeats against city and liverpool so we need to be patient and don't join with the likes of jed  in asking the sacking of the manager.
Report jed.davison August 7, 2017 2:38 PM BST
I can remember what happened after we built the new West Stand - we won another FA Cup the season we opened it, reached a League Cup final and won the UEFA Cup in the couple of seasons that followed.

You're expecting heavy defeats? You are a total idiot.
Report mafeking August 7, 2017 2:45 PM BST
yep looks like we are gonna have a bit of thin bench for the first 3 games but still will be 9 of first XI starting on sunday. no excuses on that front

who cares if liverpool always give us trouble and apart from a poor performance up there we've absolutely dominated city the other 3 games in the last 2 seasons. people always overstate the importance of the "big" games. as long we win the vast majority against the also rans we'll be bang up there
Report Knight Rider August 8, 2017 11:03 PM BST
"don't join with the likes of jed  in asking the sacking of the manager"

Yes let's join propunter instead in asking for the sale of Kane and Alli.  Absolute moron with no shame.  At what point do you admit you have been drastically wrong in forecasting a mid-table finish when inastead we've just gone 3rd-2nd, the best couple of seasons in the lifetime of anyone under 60.
Report propunter1 August 10, 2017 7:12 AM BST
The most important reason for us achieving the number of points during the last 2 seasons was Pochettino. He created an organised well drilled team. We are very effective as an unit and not because we have the best players.
How many of the southampton/Pochettino players have improved since or even doing as well in their new teams?

The basic 'fact' is we regressed relative to others. We lost Walker, we might loose other(s) while other teams improved. It is possible we won't be as good as last year and suffer few heavy defeats as well. Instead of blaming the real culprit, the flat earthers will attempt to use Pochettino as a scapegoat.

We have the best manager in the EPL and it is vital that we support him and hopefully he stays for the long term.
Report propunter1 August 10, 2017 7:57 AM BST
We express our opinions on forums like this and we do get somethings wrong sometimes. There are so many variables in forecasting the finishing position. Who would have thought so many top teams would perform badly like last year or Spurs to start the new season with no right back even though everyone knew Walker
would leave.

Having a wrong opinion once should not stop him expressing another opinion/fact like 'our success is in spite of mismanagement by our 'current owners'.
Report JUDGE JUDY August 10, 2017 12:01 PM BST
What are your thoughts on Danny Rose?

He is a good player but nothing special

I think he values himself  more than anybody else does
Report FIGJAM August 10, 2017 12:11 PM BST
Very good attacking wing back, however when we went on run at the back end of season, Davies was the custodian of the left back position. With temporary loss of both right backs he won't be moving in this window,also because he hasn't figured for some 4/5 months or so I dare say he feels out of the loop, and poor thing doesn't want to be forgotten.

However he has a very valid point in that we are desperate to buy players to add pressure/relief for certainly as said multi times before, Arry,Chistian and now Trippier.
Report rogerthebutler August 10, 2017 12:12 PM BST
Improved markedly under Pochettino but can't see any takers for him - bar Chelsea perhaps and would Spurs sell to them?

If he does go it'll be for stupid money and Ben Davies is arguably a better player (defender, definitely IMO) although our squad would be Rizla thin.
Report mafeking August 10, 2017 12:50 PM BST
not the first time he's told tales out of school this summer. said much the same thing on radio 5 in may although nothing like as incendiary as this. can't imagine daniel levy will anything other than absolutely fuming. not a chance he's goes anywhere in the short term having sold walker

he should concentrate on getting fit rather than shooting his mouth off to the sun. certainly hasn't been missed in the 6 months he's been out so reliable has ben davies been. for once propunter makes a valid point when he says that both rose and walker have improved out of sight under pochettino and several defenders who've left southampton for bigger clubs have looked nothing like the same player under different management
Report TheAnorak August 10, 2017 2:04 PM BST
Rose has the same agent as Kyle Walker, Aaron Lennon and Kyle Naughton - spot the pattern here.
Report themover August 10, 2017 2:53 PM BST
he got them all a contract at Tottenham?
Report FIGJAM August 10, 2017 9:13 PM BST
Those 3 were surplus to requirements, although Lennon was a favourite of mine I was sad to see him go.
Looks like Barkley will be a fire sale buy on the 31st as no one else has purportedly came for him.
Report 23nights August 11, 2017 7:46 PM BST
typical build up to the new season at the spurs..press having a good stir up driven on by agents.coys
Report hippie August 11, 2017 10:03 PM BST
Someone has updated Davinson Sánchez's wikipedia page: "Current team Tottenham Hotspur"
Report hippie August 11, 2017 10:22 PM BST
It's been changed back to "Ajax" but someone is dicking with the page, "Davinson Sánchez Mina (born 12 June 1996) is a Colombian professional footballer who plays as a centre back for Eredivisie club Ajax. Also considered the Chinese Ledley King. He is most known for being the latest football player that Danny Rose Google searched." Laugh
Report hippie August 12, 2017 12:15 AM BST
The implications of signing Sanchez are huge.

According to Talksh!te, "Tottenham are preparing to smash their club transfer record to sign Davinson Sanchez from Ajax...The versatile defender is able to play at centre-back and right-back and would further strengthen Mauricio Pochettino’s defensive options."

I can't find him ever playing right-back. He's a centre-back. It would make perfect sense if he was coming in to join a back 3: Sanchez-Toby-Vert (same as Belgium now line up). Dier moves back to his favoured CM (while still providing cover) and if we need to go to a back 4 Vert can move out to the left.

Poch went big on the back 3 between January and the beginning of April (first employed away to Woolwich last November: 1-1). He played it 11 times last season: won 9, drew 2.

The plan is brilliant in its simplicity. Smash that record!
Report mafeking August 12, 2017 12:22 AM BST
hippie, you get the feeling that however this turns out what he said about googling players is gonna follow him around for the rest of his career in the same way cashley could never shake off nearly crashing his car after he was only offered £55K

am venturing up to SJP on sunday. i trust we'll put up a better show than in newcastle's last premiership game. seems there's good news on the injury front with wanyama and son being available. guess son will be on the bench not having featured at all in pre season but would give us more options if wanyama could partner dembele in the middle
Report hippie August 12, 2017 12:42 AM BST
If I'm reading this transfer right, Poch has kept his eye on the prize and has been planning this move for a while (not necessarily with this player in mind but an ex-Ajax back 3 is nice symmetry). I doubt he gives a toss what Rose has got to say although joining in with the media and moaning about the lack of transfer activity must be irritating. If he pulls this off it's a brilliant move. One transfer!

Good news if Wanyama starts. Let's hope you witness sweet revenge for that last game up there. I also read Tripper's injury isn't as bad as first feared so all in all not as bad as the doom and gloom merchants would have us believe. Enjoy your trip.
Report hippie August 12, 2017 5:14 PM BST

Football-Oranje.com‏ @FootballOranje_ 1 minute ago

Davinson Sanchez is NOT in the Ajax selection for match with Heracles tonight because of transfer issues.

Report propunter1 August 12, 2017 10:44 PM BST
Glenn Hoddle ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4785210/Tottenham-stars-think-Danny-Rose-wages.html
Report sofaking August 12, 2017 11:37 PM BST
Hoddle suggests re-signing Sigurdsson for £45m.  Er, no.
Report mafeking August 13, 2017 12:30 AM BST
indeed he's having a giraffe if he think sigurdsson is anywhere near the same class as eriksen. as i've said before wouldn't get a game for any of the top 6. a big fish in a small pond at swansea. you're not gonna pay £50M to have someone sit on the bench unless you're city or chelsea that is

we're paying our players what we can afford. it's broadly in line what other clubs pay in relation to turnover. the level of wages we pay should not be surprising but what is is that good recruitment and management is consistently allowing us to outperform clubs with far larger budgets
Report jed.davison August 13, 2017 11:18 AM BST
This boy Sanchez is the real deal - saw a bit of him in the Europa League, and the two young boys at centre-back, the other one is even younger, about 18 I think, were stars. Sanchez was brilliant in the final as well. Would be a massive coup to get him on board.

I keep trying to find a way we don't win this game today a big score. I can't find one.
Report propunter1 August 13, 2017 12:39 PM BST
Lloris (C), Walker-Peters, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Sissoko, Eriksen, Dele, Kane

good news, Wanyama and Son on the bench

We don't need our players to be motivated 100% to win this game but it will tell us a lot about the mindset of our players since rose's ill timed interview
Report hippie August 13, 2017 12:47 PM BST
People who read the Daily Fail tend to be scared of their own shadows so it's understandable you have this misconception the lads are weak-minded.

If ever there was a match for Sissoko to put in a MOTM performance it's today. Granted, Juventus didn't get out of walking pace last week but he put in a decent enough shift.

COYS
Report propunter1 August 13, 2017 1:04 PM BST
not the right time just before the kick off....
Report propunter1 August 13, 2017 2:57 PM BST
Excellent goal - good dummy run by Kane, excellent pass by Eriksen and brilliant run and finish by Alli. This happened as I was thinking Alli is a passenger
Report FIGJAM August 13, 2017 3:38 PM BST
Well thanks to the p.key for the 3 points.
Nice debut from KPW, additional positives with Dembele,Son and Winks back, and we start where we left off from last season.
Chavs up next, minus a couple of their first team from Saturday and their best player injured.
Report hippie August 13, 2017 3:49 PM BST
It was an impressive debut from our U20 World Cup winner but I found myself thinking at times that Trippier would have thrown the cross in from the good positions he found himself in rather than play the ball back to Eriksen. No fault of KPW, that part of his game will come in time. He did everything that was asked of him and he did it well.
Report 23nights August 13, 2017 4:18 PM BST
coysss
Report mafeking August 13, 2017 10:29 PM BST
most enjoyable trip to geordieland. didn't really give them much of a look at our goal in the uneventful first half and won comfortably enough in the end

really good start to the season. not winning enough of these sort of away games cost us the title last season. gotta be aiming to be win 11 or 12 aways
Report propunter1 August 15, 2017 9:09 AM BST
hippie, not from mail but from Guardian this time - in depth and fair analysis. Must read:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/12/danny-rose-daniel-levy-spurs
Report hippie August 15, 2017 12:26 PM BST
It's nothing more than a contradictory opinion piece and not even his own opinion, he's jumped on the bandwagon, although I did like the line, “I’ve met a lot of hardboiled eggs in my time, but you’re 20 minutes.”

"Spurs have been dramatically punching above their weight under Mauricio Pochettino’s guidance. The Argentinian has shown it is possible to take on the super-rich... it is just a fact of life at Spurs that Pochettino’s men are earning a fraction of what they could make elsewhere. Levy should have seen this coming and, now it has finally caught up with him...the Daily Express, elegantly previewed one season in the Bill Nicholson era with the opening line: “Spurs, once undisputed **** of north London and the whole of England and Europe, still grope uncertainly for vanished glory.” That was 15 August 1970..."

No-one is playing better, more effective football at the moment which disproves the fallacy that the only way to take a club forward is to teeter on the brink of bankruptcy. He says Levy didn't see this coming yet everyone except Toby signed long term contracts in the past 18 months (Marcus Edwards signed a new contract on 29 July). You say Rose affected the team's mindset, Lloris said, "“Danny made a mistake, he apologised and that is it. Sometimes we can make mistakes, but the thing is not to repeat that kind of thing. The most important thing is that the leaders of this team are not affected. We are moving on and we showed it at Newcastle. The commitment in the squad is great. The team are very calm about what happened; it never affected us as we were so focused on our first Premier League game."

Shearer echoed that 1970 "vanished glory" quote on MOTD. If Spurs players want mega-bucks win something first then negotiate an improved deal. You might also like to read Joey Barton's comments (yes, him) about clubs playing with fire in this transfer market: https://talksport.com/football/exclusive-joey-barton-praises-tottenhams-transfer-model-amid-unsustainable-premier-league

Even now the chavs (and Real Madrid) are reportedly trying to hijack the Sanchez deal. Levy's not going to pay extortionate prices being some ****s are inflating the market. When this race to bankruptcy is run that same journalist who jumped on the bandwagon will be praising Levy for his prudence.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.
Report hippie August 15, 2017 12:29 PM BST
“Spurs, once undisputed c0cks of north London and the whole of England and Europe..."

can't type ****, I wonder if penis [pen1s] works? Cry
Report thelatarps August 15, 2017 2:55 PM BST
An entertaining piece from the guardian, right enough.
But who amongst us really believes that Danny Rose is worth 130k per week?
Modern football, you live and die by your forwards. And that means Kane and Alli for spurs.
You can bet their agents are in Levy's ear right now.
And come the autumn their salaries will be upgraded as they have been the last two years.
This problem, the supposed underpaid spurs squad. Doesnt seem to be an issue with the foriegn lads, who would be on a quarter of what they are getting now if they went back to ajax, france, belgium, wherever.
As for the likes of Rose etc, spurs made him what he is today. Doubtless we got several in the academy who can progress to his level given the chance.
As for poch. He is a modern, progressive, forward thinking coach. Nevertheless, he has on occasion displayed some pretty average tactical acumen in certain big games.
The cup semi last season. The Dortmund Europa tie in 2016. Fiorentina the year before that.
Make no mistake. He needs to find a solution to this wembley conundrum, else he will be out on his ear.
And rightly so for my money.
For me, despite the writer from the Grauniad, its in levy we trust.
Report FIGJAM August 15, 2017 10:12 PM BST
Well that's a sea change, we are favourites against a weakened Chavski, although to be fair they are not the same team without Hazard.

£45,000,000 for Sigurddson who didn't perform in a big team but excelled as a big fish in a small pond.
Lightweight in the tackle very much like Carroll who played alongside him.

That money might well be replaced if we buy Barkley which has the classic Levy handwriting all over it.
The lad from Ajax is on strike and may be a second signing.
All speculation but I can't see us not purchasing someone in the window.
Report rogerthebutler August 16, 2017 10:23 AM BST
Barkley is injured and so is Saha (once a target too, reportedly) - a big risk now in taking those on in their current state of fitness. That's before even thinking about whether they'd strengthen or team / squad dramatically anyway.

Mind you, Chelsea are reportedly interested in long-term crock Danny Rose, to add to the nest of vipers that is their dressing room, so there's no accounting for sanity in this mixed-up kerayzeeee transfer window!
Report hippie August 16, 2017 1:16 PM BST
Barkley underwent surgery on a groin injury in July and now he has a torn hamstring which should keep him out for at least 6 weeks. By the time he's fully fit the next transfer window will be opening and he's only contracted until next summer.

If the alleged £25m bid for Ryan Sessegnon is true then that's the signal Rose's Spurs career is over. Various reports have the offer for him at £30m, £50m or £70m but with 2 big hitters sniffing around it would be rude not to let him go for less than a record fee.

In my book Spurs should be around 8/11 or 4/6 for Wembley's opener yet they are hovering around the even money mark. Cahill was an ever present for them last season except for the last 2 games when Terry and Ake got a run out. None of those are available and if the rumour that Sideshow Bob could be pushed up to DM turned out to be true (can't see it myself) then Azpilicueta would be the only regular left in their back 3. In both of last season's games Costa fronted the attack with Pedro and Hazard behind him. Pedro is the only one capable of making the line up but then there's questions about his fitness and with no Fabregas their creativity is seriously limited.

Anything less than 3 points will be seriously disappointing.
Report mafeking August 16, 2017 1:54 PM BST
yep we have been presented with an excellent opportunity to start with 3 wins

everton have surely grossly overplayed their hand with barkley looking for somewhere near £50M. his value is minimal as he likely won't now be fit until after the october internationals

rose's injury record is very suspect too. averaged 29 games per season over the last 4 years. i wouldn't wanna be paying £50M for someone who plays little over half the games. in any event there's a good chance conte will have walked or been sacked by the time rose reaches full fitness again. he needs someone ready to go now

as regards sessegnon i know he's a great prospect but he is really ready at 17 to play to play in defence for a team with ambitions of winning the league ? no chance we would buy him and loan him straight back to fulham for the season ?
Report hippie August 16, 2017 2:25 PM BST
He's definitely too young to be saddled with that sort of responsibility but you can't be paying £25m+ and loaning him back. Understudy to Davies or whoever comes in (if Rose goes) is more likely, not that he's indicated he wants to leave Fulham and give up first team football. The bid shows the club is preparing for life after Rose and with it being questionable whether the other CL clubs can meet the quota for home-grown players it's a sellers market.

Geoffrey Kondogbia is another name being linked (reportedly also interesting Liverpool or as a potential swap deal with Valencia for Cancelo). Inter have got him training alone after a fall-out but he can play left-back.
Report propunter1 August 17, 2017 1:52 PM BST
Rose has been sat around doing nothing – on full pay for months on end .and the timing of the interview was ill timed at best.

The more one thinks about it, IF the money were to be reinvested wisely, selling this dimwit wouldn’t be the worst thing THFC ever did.
Report sofaking August 17, 2017 7:10 PM BST

Aug 17, 2017 -- 1:52PM, propunter1 wrote:

Rose has been sat around doing nothing – on full pay for months on end .and the timing of the interview was ill timed at best. The more one thinks about it, IF the money were to be reinvested wisely, selling this dimwit wouldn’t be the worst thing THFC ever did.

yep, I wouldn't be devastated if he was sold for a large fee.    Still no news on the Sanchez situation?

Report hippie August 17, 2017 8:18 PM BST
Sport Witness has got a good slant on the PL current dealing with European clubs. De Telegraaf seems to be generating their own narrative and Ajax are reportedly using it to jack up the price.

Sport Witness‏ @Sport_Witness  11 hours ago

Davinson Sanchez to Real Madrid is really not 'a thing' in the Madrid media. Being pushed from the Dutch media, a little transparent.

Yesterday was all about Sanchez being named in Ajax teams until a deal was done. He's not even on the bench for them tonight so it must be close.

Report hippie August 17, 2017 8:52 PM BST

Sky Sports @SkySportsNews 7 minutes ago

BREAKING: Tottenham agree deal with Ajax for defender Davinson Sanchez, according to Sky sources #SSN

Cool

Report mafeking August 17, 2017 9:20 PM BST
wimmer will be on his way then. strange how he's fallen completely out of favour after looking so assured when filling in for vertonghen 18 months ago

hope everyone remembers to wave their plastic flag on sunday Blush is that really necessary ? shouldn't think a well revved up crowd will need much excuse to roar us on against a weakened chelsea side
Report FIGJAM August 17, 2017 11:25 PM BST
Sessegnon is worth every penny imho.
Plays very much in the Rose manner and is 18.
I've been following him ever since we were interested in another Fulham player-Dembele when as far as I can remember the deal fell through because we wouldn't loan him back.
I was speaking to a Fulham supporter today who said he would take the money, fits our modus operandi and would prove ample support to Davies.
A win win situation if we sold Rose.
Report propunter1 August 20, 2017 3:08 PM BST
Lloris (C), Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Wanyama, Dembele, Eriksen, Dele, Kane
Report 23nights August 20, 2017 5:57 PM BST
hugo lloris....dear o dear..coys
Report ufcdan August 20, 2017 5:58 PM BST
Never mind fella's I'm sure you'll win at Wembley one day Laugh
Report ufcdan August 20, 2017 5:58 PM BST
Plenty of empty seats today Mischief
Report dr . atkins August 20, 2017 6:00 PM BST
you're always be in our shadow 1.2 LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh:]:laugh:]champions of england we know what we are
Report ufcdan August 20, 2017 6:01 PM BST
Come doc give em some credit ! They put pressure on last season LaughLaughLaughWink
Report ufcdan August 20, 2017 6:21 PM BST
Empty seats.................empty forum ! Most strange LaughLaughLaugh
Report sofaking August 20, 2017 6:32 PM BST
And here they are: the semi-literate, unemployable, attention seeking trolls. How sad must your lives be that you need go come onto the Spurs page just to get a reaction. Wink
Report sofaking August 20, 2017 6:37 PM BST
It wouldn't even cross my mind to post on the Chelsea thread (if there actually was a Chelsea thread) if Spurs had won. I've far better things to be doing with my time.
Report hippie August 20, 2017 6:43 PM BST
Be honest Dan, your sphincter's been going all week because like us you expected a Spurs win.

Positive performance, not quite as embarrassing as losing at home to Burnley on the opening day, still top London club in the table but there's no accounting for goalkeeping like that. Sickener.
Report 23nights August 20, 2017 7:13 PM BST
lol ufc dan keeps going on about empty seats not knowing that brent council ordered a twenty thousand less capacity....is ufcdan a bit thick.
Report hippie August 20, 2017 7:34 PM BST

Football Association Chairman Greg **** today outlined new proposals to change the rules governing home grown players in English football. (23 March 2015)

“As the body responsible for all of English football, it’s The FA’s duty to create as many opportunities as possible for young home grown talent to compete at the highest level.

“This is not simply because it will increase the pool of quality players available to the England manager, but because the development of genuine, local talent is fundamental to the sustainability of our clubs and the health of our national game."

They didn't field an Englishman for one second of today's game.

Report ufcdan August 20, 2017 8:24 PM BST
Have to admit hippie didn't think it would go our way ! Could of gone either way, tbf I think we did more hanging on. 23nights no I wasn't aware of the reduction of the capacity but there was plenty of empty seats in amongst the crowd so why not give more tickets to the away fans. Six thousand Chelsea or Arsenal fans would add to a derby. And sofaking yep your right I'm so unemployable but then as I sit in my 650k house having retired at 56 your so right, oh how I wish my life was better............oh hang on it is ! I don't support Spurs LaughLaughLaugh
Report sofaking August 20, 2017 9:52 PM BST
Some dude on the internet makes claims about the value of his house is not enough to convince me dan. Grin And at almost 60 you're way too old to be an internet troll.
Report FIGJAM August 20, 2017 10:09 PM BST
Nice of a Yank to preach to us Londoners about retiring at 56, poncing off our NHS because our mental health care is much more efficient and cheaper than back home in the good ol U S of A.

Back to the game- I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pochettino is so naive with substitutions, it's bad enough being out thought by the Italian stifling defensive make up a la Conte, but it's now twice in a row.
It was obvious to the world and his wife that Wanyama was having a nightmare and why he wasn't substituted for Winks at half time is a mystery, instead he brought on Son who hasn't had a decent game at Wembley and then Sissoko and finally Janssen.
He'll never be a great manager until he masters tactics,it's all very well playing  a high pressing game, but we need a plan B, that under Pochettino is a no no.

Wembley for us in not a lucky venue, and personally I can't see us prospering there,on the positive side, straight from the final whistle onto a tube without the queuing and home in record time.
Report mafeking August 20, 2017 10:51 PM BST
as you may have noticed i'm as optimistic as they come as far as spurs go at the moment but after today even i've almost given up hope of us doing anything while we're playing at wembley. doesn't seem to matter how much we dominate games time after time the same things keep happening

can't buy a break in the opposition box, every shot the opposition hits arrows into the net - now an incredible 12 goals from 14 shots on target going back to the start of last season and i think chelsea have scored from a free kick every time we've played them there
Report hippie August 21, 2017 12:18 AM BST
The Wembley curse didn't strike. Lloris let the ball in under his body in the 88th minute. It makes for a disappointing result but it's a bit early to be writing off the season.

Burnley, Swansea, Bournemouth, Liverpool, Palace, West Brom, Stoke, Brighton, Southampton, West Ham is the sequence of home games until the new year. Other than Liverpool I'd expect them all to be set up looking to take one point, like today's opponent. It's not a curse if they can't be broken down, it's a lack of execution. Win half as many corners as today in those matches, converting at least one in each, and we should be looking at a tidy points haul.

Various names are being linked but someone to share the workload with Kane is the priority now. Bringing Janssen on in the 91st minute is never going to pay dividends. Keita Balde is clearly finished at Lazio and could be at the required level.   

Then there's the winning more away games curse...
Report propunter1 August 21, 2017 1:15 PM BST
There is no Wembley curse or Wembley luck - I am sure no one believe that anyway. IMO, our results at Wembley are not surprising as we mostly played teams with better players  at Wembley. Our record against lesser teams at Wembley is much better.

Yesterday, Poch struggled to pick 11 fit players on the pitch - He had limited options so he chose Wanyama, Trippier and then Son who didn't have many minutes. He might have chosen KWP and Wimmer but he went with the experience.
With our best 11 fully fit we can win our share of games against chelsea but the simple fact is they have technically superior players than we have.
Report hippie August 21, 2017 2:41 PM BST
The simple fact is Lloris allowed the ball to slide under his body in the 88th minute. It had nothing to do with technical superiority.
Report mafeking August 21, 2017 3:28 PM BST
not this old chestnut again. those same technically deficient players scored the most goals, conceded the least (for the 2nd season in a row) and managed to control the ball for 68% of the game yesterday. we must have had a colossal amount of luck to manage that Crazy
Report propunter1 August 21, 2017 8:57 PM BST
You are missing the point intentionally.
We are successful because we are an organised side with decent players. We don't do as well against teams who have better players and organised like us. We had many examples from last year and will have even more examples this season too. Were they lucky in the FA cup semi final too?
Report mafeking August 21, 2017 9:19 PM BST
6 goals from 6 shots on target suggest chelsea have been extremely fortunate yes. alright one was a penalty but normally wouldn't expect to score more than 2 goals i would suggest from that number of shots and 3 of them were from outside box

liverpool are the only side we've had real trouble dealing with since pochettino has been the manager. beaten all the other top sides multiple times

going back to the issue of wembley can't see how anyone can say it's anything other than a hoodoo at the moment. nearly 10 years and 9 games since we've even taken the lead in a significant game let alone won. nearly every game has followed the same pattern - domination of possession, missed chances and the opposition scoring with every shot they have. it's incredible. leverkusen aside when we were going through a poor spell we haven't played badly at all. would be easier to accept if we just kept playing rubbish there
Report ufcdan August 21, 2017 10:37 PM BST
Nice of a Yank to preach to us Londoners about retiring at 56, poncing off our NHS because our mental health care is much more efficient and cheaper than back home in the good ol U S of A.

LaughLaughLaughLaugh I'll give that one FIGJAM Wink and correct sofaking I am to fxxking old to be trolling but beating you lot even if not deserved always makes me happy Cool I will be back with a vengeance if you can't beat most of your upcoming opponents Wink
Report hippie August 21, 2017 10:53 PM BST
Are you a septic dan?
Report ufcdan August 21, 2017 11:11 PM BST
Dual national been here since I was 18 months old. Have spent time out there, joined their Navy serving on a submarine. Have the choice were I live and choose here. I love this country.
Report hippie August 21, 2017 11:28 PM BST
Doesn't that mean if you sell your 650k house the American tax man will expect a cut?

It also explains your poor choice of soccer team. Laugh
Report Injera August 22, 2017 5:19 PM BST
Thought you dominated the champions for most of the game. They hung on for dear life at times. Play like that at 'home' and you'll blow most teams away.
Report ufcdan August 22, 2017 5:53 PM BST
You can feck off hippie Chelsea are the best rooting tooting soccerball team ever ! And Injera what would you know about soccerball following West Ham ! Mind you it looks like you'll get a Christmas present when you play this shower at Wembley Wink
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now