Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Aspro
26 Jun 07 10:19
| Topic/replies: 26,146 | Blogger: Aspro's blog
Everton have got this single thread lark pretty much sewn up so come on Yeedo's, let's keep one of our own! One was started recently but feck knows what happened to it however, if the interest is there I'll try and keep this up where possible.

Q - Can we really challenge the top 4?

The Players...

Robinson - Overrated?
Chimbonda - What's the latest?
Zokora - Will this be his season?
Jenus - Is the best yet to come?
Berbatov - Staying or going?
Keane - ...or Defoe?
Malbranque - Happy to keep him?
Defoe - What now?
Taarabt - Opinions?
Dawson - Improving?
Huddlestone - A future star?
Lennon - On the left?
King - Can he remain injury free?
Bale - Ready for the big time?

Just a few questions to get this going but let's not forget our leader, Martin Jol.. Is he the man to continue?

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View *** THE SPURS FILES ***
Show More
Report FIGJAM November 29, 2017 9:51 PM GMT
True Lance but Sanchez although a great prospect is no Ledley yet.
Down to 7th now with a tough away game Saturday, now behind Burnley and the Scum.
Report ribero1 November 29, 2017 10:37 PM GMT
Yes Fig,looks ominous at the moment,we look a fair way off the top 5 in performance as well as points,seem to run out of luck as well,a while back we would have come away with 3 points from a performance like last nights.
Desperate for a win on Saturday.
Report hippie November 29, 2017 11:07 PM GMT
The team was creating last night but because Sissoko can't be trusted not to lose the ball in their box and Aurier can't be trusted not to go AWOL the team is vulnerable to the break. For starters, replace those 2 with Son and Trippier (how the fṳck Sissoko gets a start in front of Son is beyond me). No Victor. No Toby. Deal with it. A back 4 until one of them returns. Dier starts as DM alongside Winks (until Dembele shows any sort of form) and the holy trinity need to show a bit of consistency and Lamela's comeback offers the opportunity to change things up. Now is the time to dig in. It aint rocket science.
Report mafeking November 29, 2017 11:22 PM GMT
it's obviously been a crippling blow to effectively lose both wanyama and dembele for the entire season so far- understandably he hasn't looked anything like the player he was in sporadic appearances. struggles to finish 90 mins once a week these days. winks has done well but unrealistic to expect him to be starting every game at this stage

effectively been almost a double figure points swing to arsenal over the last 3 games. they're not that good but generally very effective at piling up wins against the dross. still gonna be hard to pull back even the 4 point deficit from here

the next 3 are must win just to stay in vague touch. watford score goals which we just aren't at the moment then 2 games at wembley where we've only scored more than 1 goal once in the league. the gap gets any bigger it'll just be irrecoverable even if we find some form
Report ribero1 November 30, 2017 9:29 AM GMT
Yes certainly feels flat at the moment,need a bit of luck too,just watched Liverpool highlights,how on earth did Mignolet stay on the field?
Report FIGJAM November 30, 2017 1:43 PM GMT
The West Ham debacle has gone from dreadful to desperate, as one winnable competition.
I spoke to anther fan and he said Nkoudou hadn't been putting it in on the training field, therefore Pochettino won't pick him.
To use a horse racing term I've used before,he could be an "angel unawares" rather than a "morning glory",but we have been crying out for someone to dribble pass a defence,Son does it and Dembele used to, but it is one way to break teams down
that park the bus,and one chink in our armour we're sadly lacking.
Report mafeking November 30, 2017 3:04 PM GMT
forget the league cup. we'd have been 10/1 at least if we were still in it. the gooners away with a mix and match team sandwiched in between city and burnley away ? no chance. then still have to beat 2 of city, united and chelsea

we may blown some winnable opportunities in the cups in recent seasons but this certainly wasn't one of them
Report FIGJAM November 30, 2017 11:29 PM GMT
The League Cup is till he easiest cup to win, indeed it's our only piece of silverware in recent seasons.
Most teams in early rounds(the Gooners are no exception)field weaken teams, City got through via a pen shootout against a Championship side.
So don't tell me we're a 10s chance because we are at least that in every competition.
It is still a chance missed in the ever decreasing success record of Pochettino in cup competitions.
Report hippie December 1, 2017 12:52 AM GMT
The League Cup is a caricature of a football competition. It becomes more ludicrous year on year and plumbed new depths when the draw took place in the middle of the night in China. The club would be making a rod for its own back if it was the next trophy won. There's no glory in winning it and targeting it shows a lack of ambition.

Second round of the FA Cup this weekend with most, if not all involved, dreaming of being drawn away to Spurs in the next round.
Report FIGJAM December 1, 2017 10:45 AM GMT
I see, it would be a negative to win it.
Are you deranged?
Report Lance in France December 1, 2017 1:51 PM GMT
I found some Toby stats. Sign that boy up to a very long, lucrative contract. He's worth it!

Since joining from Atletico Madrid in 2015, Alderweireld has missed 20 Tottenham games in all competitions.

Since joining from Atletico Madrid in 2015, Alderweireld has missed 20 Tottenham games in all competitions.

Spurs have won 10 of them, giving them a win percentage of 50%, compared to 58% when he does play.
Even more alarmingly, Spurs lose nearly a third of the games for which the 28-year-old is absent.
They have lost 30% off their matches without him, compared to only 17% of the 103 games that he has played.
Report TheAnorak December 1, 2017 2:17 PM GMT
And presumably most of those game he missed were in the Cups or the Europa League, so games against lesser opposition. I reckon we miss his distribution almost as much as his defensive qualities.
Report Lance in France December 1, 2017 2:26 PM GMT
Yes Alan, that is all competitions. I'll try and dig out just league games if I can.
Report TheAnorak December 1, 2017 2:46 PM GMT
Sorry mate, wasn't trying to push you into more research!
Report mafeking December 1, 2017 2:56 PM GMT
the most phenomenal toby stat is this one. in the past 8 seasons his teams have been 1st 6 times and 2nd twice for number of goals conceded

bear in mind that's playing for ajax, atletico, saints and spurs. only ajax could be considered a giant in their league. just incredible
Report hippie December 1, 2017 3:03 PM GMT
Of course it would be negative to win it. Go back a few posts and you'll see a goner quite rightly highlighting the competition's mickey mouse credentials yet it's the only silverware Spurs have won in the past 20 years. We now have a team of thoroughbreds and your ambition for them is the cariboo cup. That's like asking Michelangelo not to make a start on the Sistine Chapel's ceiling until he's given the outside toilet a coat of paint!

The WHam knockout came in the middle of the most illustrious run of games in the clubs recent history. Had they got through, the players, who are coping with injuries and quite clearly jaded, would have been duty bound to raise their game for an otherwise pointless match against Woolwich (following a pre-recorded, dodgy looking draw) a week before Christmas in the hope of qualifying for a 2 legged semi-final, the second of which (24 Jan) comes before a tricky run of games that the club needs to get something out of if there's any hope of a top 4 finish. The final (26 Feb) comes in the middle of the CL 2nd round legs.

It's a question of priorities. A bụllshit competition that the club only participates in because it's mandatory or the ultimate prize?
Report sixtwosix December 1, 2017 3:06 PM GMT
There are only 4 trophies , Spurs have zip chance of winning 2 of them .
But the priority these days is to finish 4th for the elite and 17th for the rest . Not to win a trophy ,how on earth did this happen ?
Report hippie December 1, 2017 3:14 PM GMT
A top 4 finish guarantees CL football in the new stadium which is set to be to be opened for the beginning of the 2018-19 season.
Report TheAnorak December 1, 2017 3:46 PM GMT
So that's Spurs attack v Spurs defence in the World Cup group stages.
Report mafeking December 1, 2017 4:51 PM GMT
could be as many as 10 players from spurs and chelsea
Report jimmy4england December 1, 2017 10:10 PM GMT
think it could of so easily 5. or 6-2 the other night, I'm going for us scoring 4 plus tomorrow ... Ha ha .. we'll see
Report jimmy4england December 1, 2017 11:05 PM GMT
Fig,
You have been on here from the start, so obviously you only want the best for the team, but get real, we have been punching above our weight the last two seasons ! We are not a trophy winning club.  One FA CUP AND TWO League cups in the Last 30 years. Even in our Glory Glory years, we were a cup team, lost the league 62 to newly promoted Ipswich and to Everton in 63, when both years we had the double winning team and the best goal scorer then world has ever seen. I watched both those years and it is a bit like today. ON our day we are/were the best team in the league. But you are talking about Tottenham, we are unique. My eyes have seen the glory of the CUPS at White Hart Lane.. Get real, Hoddle playing 1/2's with surrounding players and receiving more like a 1/9, Ossie and Ricky signing with 8/9 players who would have been more at home in the 3rd division, I could go on. We CANT , complete with City and United, with their budget, make the most of it, we have Kane by a fluke, he was going nowhere until suddenly he blossomed out of no where ! Remember Gary Doherty. IF and its a very big IF, we manage to keep the majority of this team when we move into the new stadium. do you really think there will be any money available for buying plyers ? We are a really good team, but we  Tottenham Hotsur
Report FIGJAM December 1, 2017 11:27 PM GMT
It's all about selection Jimmy.Whilst it's true the Holy Grail is CL qualification, we have failed within touching distance of at least a final appearance.
Last season in the 5th round of the FA Cup against Palace we got beat at WHL(not Wembley) fielding a weakened team when the path to the final was relatively easy.
Pochettino has a remarkably poor record when it comes to cup games,so failure with the team that took all before it at the denouement of last season is down to him.
I've said it before and I'll say it again imho-he ain't magic.
Report pan07 December 2, 2017 12:46 PM GMT
dear god coping with injuries iv'e heard it all.

we pay efl cup wages and think we can win champions league learn your level muppets
Report FIGJAM December 2, 2017 1:24 PM GMT
Tell that to Leicester pan, pound for pound we've got a better squad.
Wasting a lot of the Bale money and splashing out on Sissoko is avoidable.
Wages have f...all to do with it until the Galacticos come a calling
Report hippie December 2, 2017 1:45 PM GMT
No Wanyama all season, lost Dembele after 3 games, lost Toby, no problem. The solution is don't pay "efl cup wages" whatever they are, pay the requisite amount because winning the champions league is dependent on a players wage packet.

The guy's got the game by the balls. This muppet is suitably impressed.
Report propunter1 December 2, 2017 2:09 PM GMT
Llris (C), Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Son, Dele, Kane. #COYS

Subs: Vorm, Rose, Lamela, Sissoko, Llorente, Aurier, Winks

surprised to see Eriksen and Alli in the first 11
Report propunter1 December 2, 2017 2:45 PM GMT
Missing Wanyama, Toby and Dembele are a big loss but not a game changer - our main problem this season had been the lack of goals.

We signed a world class defender last summer in Sanchez  but failed to sign a quality attacking player because of our wage structure.
Report propunter1 December 2, 2017 2:49 PM GMT
Last season the ratio of the wages we paid out over the turnover was around 40% which is among the lowest in the EPL. it was 55%  for the 2010-2011 season so there is plenty cash there to improve our wage structure. If we don't there is a great chance we will loose more players. loose Poch and more importantly will have discontented players in the squad.
Report pan07 December 2, 2017 7:13 PM GMT
head in sand lads u tory muppets
Report pan07 December 2, 2017 7:17 PM GMT
erkisen's head
has cleary gone same as useless **** ALI
money money money
Report sofaking December 2, 2017 8:37 PM GMT

Dec 2, 2017 -- 1:17PM, pan07 wrote:

erkisen's head has cleary gone same as useless **** ALI money money money

You sound very angry.  Everything ok?

Report mafeking December 2, 2017 10:24 PM GMT
stayed behind to clap the team off at the end. something i rarely do when we don't win and never when it's a game you expect to win

a reflection of how we kept going despite going through a bad patch at the moment and not really having the legs to trouble watford with 10 men and the performance of the referee
Report ribero1 December 3, 2017 10:34 AM GMT
Lets hope its a turning point then maf?Looks as though Alderweild is out for some time now and Rose looks as though he may be off in jan so while the January window is often dissed surely we need to make a serious signing if we are to have any chance of top 4,watching some of the fooyball from the others we do seem to have slipped behind all of a sudden.
Re Rose wonder if we are getting Shaw?
Report FIGJAM December 3, 2017 2:30 PM GMT
Sessegnon the 18 year old left back (not his twin)from Fulham would be better rib.
However I don't see why we should sell Rose in this particular window.

On a separate note I read the new stadium is likely to be £1000,000,000 not £800,000,000.
Report RAPS December 3, 2017 2:38 PM GMT
To use an English term I haven't the faintest what that means..
Report FIGJAM December 3, 2017 2:49 PM GMT
Second language Raps?
Report mafeking December 3, 2017 3:09 PM GMT
about the only good thing to come out of the current malaise is that we are still only 3 and 4 points behind liverpool and arsenal having hardly turned up in the league so far this season

no doubt on the liverpool thread they're all deluding themselves about how good they are at least until the next defensive shambles and united showed yday what a poor side arsenal really are
Report hippie December 3, 2017 5:11 PM GMT
RAPS, long time no see.

Unfortunate time to lose Sanchez for 3 games. Foyth picks himself as he's the only CB option left. Good luck kid.
Report FIGJAM December 3, 2017 5:24 PM GMT
Davies has played centre back for Wales.
Report mafeking December 3, 2017 6:46 PM GMT
do we really need 3 centre halves at home to stoke or brighton and we ain't getting anything at city other than a hiding
Report hippie December 3, 2017 6:49 PM GMT
A back 4 of Trippier, Vert, Davies and Rose away to citeh makes sense but if Poch trusts Foyth to sit on the bench he must trust him to start. With games coming thick and fast until the new year run him out with as many of the League Cup team as possible against APOEL (and Brighton).
Report mafeking December 3, 2017 6:59 PM GMT
he's here for the future. after weds surely no intention to play him the rest of season in anything other than cup games against lower division opposition
Report hippie December 3, 2017 7:26 PM GMT
There has to be rotation and now the Sanchez red has been thrown into the mix. After recent results Poch has to get creative and other than the citeh game the run of games until the end of January allows him to do that. What's the worst that could happen that isn't already happening? Time to put some faith in youngsters like Foyth.
Report TheAnorak December 4, 2017 1:38 PM GMT
Been announced that the West Ham game has been moved from Dec 31st to Jan 4th at Wembley, kick off 8pm, live on Sky. That means we play Swansea away on Jan 2nd, Hammers at home on Jan 4th, FA Cup presumably on Sun 7th. So let's hope for a soft draw this evening!
Report mafeking December 4, 2017 2:07 PM GMT
an absolute farce. how on earth was it allowed to be acheduled on the weekend of new years eve in the first place ? anyone with a modicum of common sense could see that was gonna be a total non runner
Report Can't Catch Me December 4, 2017 2:17 PM GMT
no doubt on the liverpool thread they're all deluding themselves about how good they are at least until the next defensive shambles

Ooooh. Bitchy mafe.
Report mafeking December 4, 2017 2:50 PM GMT
CCM, a bit of a cheap shot i'll admit but i'm not feeling that cheery given our current travails and you are the only side to have to have been inept enough to allow us to score more than 1 goal at wembley so far

more of the same likely with stoke and brighton next up. you may be over the hills and gone by the time we get our act together again
Report ribero1 December 4, 2017 3:26 PM GMT
Mail today latching on to our lack of investment in the summer compared to our rivals coming home to roost,hard not to agree really.
Report Can't Catch Me December 4, 2017 3:28 PM GMT
I don't think any of our lads are deluded enough to think we don't have deficiencies tbh. But it does show there was a huge over reaction to a couple of bad days for us.

You will turn the corner, every team has a bad run at some point.
Report propunter1 December 4, 2017 4:47 PM GMT
Our CEO estimated the cost of the new stadium would be 450 million but now it's revealed (if accurate) the cost will be around one billion pounds.
By this new estimate we will have the most expensive stadium in europe with it's unique cheese room.

How can the highest paid CEO (at least until this season) in the EPL can justify this while having one of the lowest wage ratio over turnover and had negative net transfer for many years now. But then again I am an 'idiot'.
Report FIGJAM December 4, 2017 5:07 PM GMT
Martin Atkinson managed to be booed by both sets of supporters, but what's bugging me, is that Arry is getting a lot of rough treatment lately without any protection from referees.
There is no doubt there should have been a second bookable yellow card which he chose to ignore.
Just because he doesn't do three back flips and five roll overs every time he gets hit a la every other Carlos Kickabout doesn't mean he shouldn't be protected.
Btw to paraphrase an old song "Has anyone here seen Nkoudou?"
Report sofaking December 4, 2017 5:15 PM GMT

Dec 4, 2017 -- 11:07AM, FIGJAM wrote:

Martin Atkinson managed to be booed by both sets of supporters, but what's bugging me, is that Arry is getting a lot of rough treatment lately without any protection from referees.There is no doubt there should have been a second bookable yellow card which he chose to ignore.Just because he doesn't do three back flips and five roll overs every time he gets hit a la every other Carlos Kickabout doesn't mean he shouldn't be protected.Btw to paraphrase an old song "Has anyone here seen Nkoudou?"

Apparently Nkoudou's not doing enough in training.

‘He needs to show more’: Spurs boss claims attacker doesn’t deserve to play.
Mauricio Pochettino has suggested Georges-Kevin N’Koudou needs to do more to be considered for selection in the first team.

N’Koudou joined Tottenham from Marseille in the summer of 2016 but has failed to make an impression in England.

In his press conference ahead of this weekend’s game against West Brom, Pochettino discussed the qualities Erik Lamela will bring to the final third when he makes his long awaited return from injury.

The Spurs boss was then asked if N’Koudou is another option to improve the attack.

“GK, we are waiting for him still,” Pochettino answered. “Today he’s not showing he’s in this condition to play. He needs to show more.

“You know if a player is not involved too much it’s because we believe that they need to show more and deserve to play.” (Quotes via Yahoo! Sport.)

It doesn’t sound like the winger has any kind of future at Tottenham. I’ll be surprised if he is still a Spurs player next season.

.  A total flop who'll never make it a Spurs.

Report mafeking December 4, 2017 5:32 PM GMT
yep as the de facto england captain you'd think referees would go out of their way to protect him. atkinson seemed absolutely determined not to issue a 2nd yellow card to any watford players after the red card despite 1 or 2 opportunities to do so

the sort rough treatment he gets here certainly wouldn't be allowed on the star players in la liga for example
Report hippie December 4, 2017 6:12 PM GMT
If Atkinson had booked Zeegelaar when he scythed down Dele in the first half (only gave freekick) he would have got his marching orders for kicking Kane in the air in the second. It was a weekend of poor refereeing decisions.

Worrying update from Toby. He'll be tested in the next couple of weeks but if it's worse than first thought he could be out until April. Better news, a headline speculating that Victor could be back before Christmas. And food for thought, Jan the Man is on 4 yellows. If he was to be booked against Brighton he'd miss the citeh game. So either he takes a yellow against Stoke or don'y risk him against Brighton.
Report FIGJAM December 5, 2017 12:51 PM GMT
We seem to have a blind spot regarding wingers, We had two effective wingers but both fell out with Pochettino, it looks like history is repeating itself.
Salah played against us for Basel and looked a player, it might be fantasy on my part but I thought we were interested when the Chavs came a calling.Zaha we tried to buy but it looks like that boat has sailed,it would be nice to have an alternative against teams that park the bus,it needs someone who can dribble to get past the first (and second)man.
I've lost count is that 2 or 3 failures we've had in purchases in that department.
Our recruitment hasn't been great lately.
The two latest recruits have both had avoidable red cards,Sanchez for me is young perhaps he'll improve next season but atmo he sure ain't no Ledley.
Report mafeking December 5, 2017 2:32 PM GMT
salah ran rings around us playing for basel and scored again for fiorentina. his wages probably out of our league for a new player anyway. not sure about zaha. would cost a lot of money and he just doesn't score anything like enough goals for a player in that position. you're looking for something like 15 per season and his record doesn't suggest he's capable of that

sanchez has hardly put a foot wrong. fitted in seemlessly as a young centre half. could have done better for the west brom goal and that was a slightly unfortunate red card on saturday with a referee who had a nightmare. in fact not unlike ledley he hadn't picked up so much a yellow card before then. always a good sign for me as far as centre halves go in that you don't get yourself in bad positions so you have to make desperate challenges that result in a booking
Report FIGJAM December 5, 2017 3:18 PM GMT
A winger ain't a necessity to score goals although Salah does it spades, the principle is to go past the first man and then cross the ball.
As I said Sanchez is young but imho, if you were playing between Toby and Vertonghen you'd look good.
Still a bit raw but as I said he's young and not uncriticizable.
Report propunter1 December 6, 2017 7:39 AM GMT
Our possible opponents in the next round of CL are: Basel, Bayern, Juve, Shaktar or Napoli, Porto or Leipzig and possibly Sevilla if LFC wins tonight
Report FIGJAM December 6, 2017 9:50 AM GMT
I watched the Manure game last night, Shaw who has been in the wilderness with Mourinho for 3 years played well,looked a Danny Rose Mark2.
Report ribero1 December 6, 2017 12:04 PM GMT
Hi Fig while its obviously a while back when he came through at Southampton I know Chambers Dad pretty well who was another of those youngsters who all came through together and he's always assured me that Shaw was the dogs bollox and comfortably the star of that group so I've always kept an eye on him,obviously had plenty of injuries and apparently not the sharpest tool in the box so may have struggled to settle in at a big club like utd?
Pochettino will obviously know him very well.
Report FIGJAM December 6, 2017 1:39 PM GMT
Yes rib,gives us a couple of alternatives if Rose does go for silly money,being under Pochettino is an advantage,and as I've mentioned previously Sessegnon who apparently is a wing back at Fulham who scored a hat trick recently might be another.
Shaw looked like an International last night, considering he's hardly played and hopefully he'll keep fit he looked a class act.
Report ribero1 December 6, 2017 4:00 PM GMT
Somehow I doubt we'll get him but if Rose does go much as I like Davies we will still need someone in.
Report FIGJAM December 6, 2017 4:18 PM GMT
I don't see why not rib, he's been persona non grata for a long time,I dare say money would come our way, not that I'm advocating it, better the devil you know....
Report ribero1 December 6, 2017 4:27 PM GMT
I guess it depends where Rose ends up? If Mourinho really does want him then if Pochettino did want Shaw it would appear fairly straightforward however things don't normally pan out so easily!
Report hippie December 6, 2017 4:52 PM GMT
I didn't see the game last night but I'm seeing positives about Shaw's performance in various places which could complicate matters. Jose is well aware of his growing reputation for binning superstars for peanuts (De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku) and might be worrying about adding the one time "most expensive teenager in world football" to that legacy however much Shaw might want to ditch him and team up with Poch.
Report hippie December 6, 2017 6:51 PM GMT
Starting line-up v APOEL:

#THFC: Vorm (C), Aurier, Sanchez, Foyth, Rose, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Nkoudou, Son, Llorente. #COYS
Report Lance in France December 7, 2017 8:23 AM GMT
I really enjoyed last nights match and it wasn't the scoreline that was the reason. It was probably because I really couldn't be bothered to spin up to Wembley but in the end I went and was pleasantly surprised. My eyes are that good enough nowadays that I see most things well but I loved how the young centre half wearing number 21 performed. Sure he made one or two mistakes and got away with them and also a couple of simple passes in quite dangerous positions ended up with the opposition receiving possession, but overall very encouraging. And then I have to go polar opposite and bring up Sissoko. One word - WHY? Crikey he is poor at everything he attempts. One other observation - doesn't Sanchez gets bullied around a lot. He isn't very strong and gets pushed off the ball quite easily. Oh, and Serge the full back is another sending off just waiting to happen. He still appears very rash. But despite my moaning I did enjoy the match!
Report Lance in France December 7, 2017 8:24 AM GMT
My eyes AREN'T *
Report FIGJAM December 7, 2017 9:11 AM GMT
Blimey Lance don't say that about Sanchez according to maf he's uncriticizable.
You're right of course he's got a long way to go before he justifies his price.
Unlike you I've got a heavy cold and that was a good excuse for not going.Blush
Report ribero1 December 7, 2017 9:44 AM GMT
Hoddle mentioned before the game that Foyth was a "footballer" type of centre half,looked promising to me too and hopefully fills out a bit and one for the future.
Aurier = nutcase!
Report hippie December 7, 2017 1:09 PM GMT
Sanchez may not be out of the Richard Gough mould of centre backs but he's not a weakness in this team and has done little wrong since he joined the club (4 months ago) to deserve criticism except for Saturday's red for an unintentional use of the arm which was the first card of any description he's picked up all season.

He's a 21 year old that plays with a maturity beyond his years and had never lost a game he started for Spurs, including every minute of a tough CL group, until after Toby's injury. It's too early to say his price tag was inflated although in the Premier League you could say everybody's price tag is inflated! Levy is unlikely to make a loss on the deal and how else do the Ajax board justify to their fans that Tottenham Hotspur had another of their star players in their ranks? It's no different to us expecting a world record fee when Real Madrid come calling for one of ours.
Report mafeking December 7, 2017 2:07 PM GMT
you'd expect a young inexperienced centre half - it's only his 2nd season playing in europe - to be making all sorts of rookie mistakes. that simply hasn't been the case. look at the likes of john stones until recently
Report Lance in France December 7, 2017 3:13 PM GMT
I need to defend my position on Sanchez. It was only an observation. I wasn't having a pop at him (as I was that lump Sissoko). From where I was sitting yesterday he just didn't appear to be very strong and was swotted away when trying to challenge. He has massive potential and I'm not suggesting he was a bad buy and we should give up on him. I thought he could have been stronger in challenging Rondon in the WBA match or just boot the flipping ball out from where I was sitting in that match as well, although if Alli hadn't lost possession in the first place it wouldn't be relevant!
Report hippie December 8, 2017 1:58 PM GMT

December 8, 2017

Speaking exclusively to soka25east.com Wanyama was elated at his recovery “I feel so so fine and on the road to full fitness.I am almost back and its exciting after missing most of the season”

http://www.soka25east.com/victor-wanyama-elatedhe-road-full-fitness/

Report 23nights December 9, 2017 5:11 PM GMT
coysss
Report hippie December 9, 2017 5:23 PM GMT
Good win, Harry should have had a hat-trick (missed a sitter in the first half) but... 10 games without a clean sheet for Hugo (Stoke scored because he was flapping at thin air). For the 2 most recent clean sheets (APOEL and Palace) he wasn't in goal. Must do better.

Rotate for the midweek game against Brighton. At least give Eriksen a break.
Report Kit-Kat-Dan December 9, 2017 5:46 PM GMT
Totally dominated today and with better finishing and less than super-human display from Butland we could have had at least another 3 or 4 goals. A bit soft in midfield at times showing how big a miss Wanyama has been this season.

Agree re Eriksen needing a rest, as does Dele. N'Koudou deserves a chance after his performance on Wednesday, unlike Sissoko who continues to set new levels of mediocrity and ineptitude.
Report mafeking December 10, 2017 12:31 AM GMT
always nice to see stoke hove into view when you're desperate for a result. seriously this was back to last season's standards battering the dross from start to finish. could easily have been 10-1

son brilliant again. they just couldn't handle him at all. 50 goals for harry kane in 2017. an amazing achievement especially when you consider he's missed 10 or 15 games. note ronaldo played in the dead rubber in midweek to boost his tally. only truly world class players post those sort of numbers

massive bonus seeing the chavs being turned over by the hapless hammers. maybe all is not lost in the league yet
Report FIGJAM December 10, 2017 4:22 PM GMT
Great performance yesterday although I can't help feeling that the Stoke supporters in an effort to play attractive football have a manager unable to park the bus.Thank God! Without doubt Son's best game for us, not only that optimum team selection (no Sissoko) and a return to form for Eriksen.

Two excellent results so far today, and a generous gift from Clipperty not playing their top 4 and taking danger man Salah off early.If it was our manager I'd be incandescent wit rage to that selection against our derby rivals.
Report hippie December 11, 2017 11:38 AM GMT
Champions League draw: Spurs v Juventus

Last year's winner and runner-up already served up this campaign. Glamorous.
Report FIGJAM December 11, 2017 12:15 PM GMT
Northerners get soft draw, although Madrid get PSG
Report mafeking December 11, 2017 2:13 PM GMT
the worst possible draw as per usual. difficult and i hate going to italy. you always get messed about
Report Johnny_Mustang December 11, 2017 7:16 PM GMT
Don't think that's a bad draw you. Sadly it's lacking the glamour that we have against Ostersunds.
Report FIGJAM December 12, 2017 11:57 AM GMT
The Irish troll appears only when the scum are in front of us, that is why we haven't heard from him for 15 months.
Report mafeking December 14, 2017 1:37 AM GMT
before last saturday there was a good chance we could have been the best part of double figures behind the top 4 places after next weekend given liverpool's soft looking fixtures this week so to finish up being 3 points adrift even if we lose at city is a right result

as for the game tonight fairly comfortable despite being nowhere near out best. i don't blame teams like brighton for being defensive although it's never pretty to watch and referees always conspire to make it as easy possible for the lesser teams to waste time but they took 20 seconds over their own throw in in the last 10 mins. at some stage you've gotta have a go surely
Report FIGJAM December 14, 2017 11:22 AM GMT
Dour,dire, desperate, that just about sums up our performance last night.About the worst I've seen us play for years(I still haven't sen the Scum game though).
Sissoko and Winks playing the ball sideways and backwards did my brain in, if anyone thinks Pochettino has taken us to another level let me tell you it's down one.
Sissoko has no confidence he never dribbles forwards which is why presumably why  we bought him when he played for France in the Euros, he always defers to another player, I've lost count of the air shots in the penalty area,he shouldn't play for us again. Winks I'm afraid to say is not training on, unfortunately he looks like yet another in the long line of mid field failures in recent years. Mason, Livermore, Bentaleb and now Winks.
The latter may get better but someone needs to tell him to pass forward,the crowd got very edgy last night with the negativity.
Brighton were hopeless they look certainties to go down, if thy had an ounce of ambition they would have slaughtered us, OK they didn't help the flow of the game but it was a miserable performance form us.
To say the least,can not say I'm looking forward to City at the weekend.
Report propunter1 December 14, 2017 12:56 PM GMT
It is so unfair to criticise our youngster Winks - he is only a trainee learning and adjusting to the EPL. He has the required skill set to succeed  imo but needs time. He will do better as he gets more confidence.

However, I agree with figbrain that we do need quality attacking players who can make things happen against teams who park the bus like Brighton did last night.

Fifbrain, you did not comment about Lamela's first start after a years absence?
Report ribero1 December 14, 2017 4:36 PM GMT
Hi Fig,only saw the highlights and was thinking for those there it must have been bloody awful,while I tend to agree its a bit early to be too critical of Winks but what is for certain is that him and his like get bigged up far too early by the media etc,he's a full international ffs!
My main concern is that everything seems so slow compared to the likes of Liverpool and even Leicester.We really need to pull a rabbit or two out of the hat this January.The main plus last night from what I saw was Dembele is starting to look stronger again and hopefully starts on Saturday and presumably Trippier will be back in as Aurier still looks a liability.
Report mafeking December 14, 2017 5:27 PM GMT
it wasn't inspiring stuff to say the least. in the 2nd half at times seeing how little threat brighton posed we seemed happy to pass it around aimlessly in the middle third of the pitch and save our energy for bigger battles

after saturday have the relative luxury of only 2 games in 17 days. very strange for this time of year. some of my drinking pals who go regularly won't see a game now for 3 weeks. some of our players could certainly do with the break

3 routine home wins in week with all our main rivals faltering. could be a lot worse. hopefully we can get dembele and waynama on the field together in the next few weeks. would make such a difference
Report hippie December 14, 2017 8:23 PM GMT
It wasn't pretty on the eye but why would it be? Brighton came for the point, not to compete. Positives: they didn't threaten so the game wasn't exhausting; the goals came; Hugo kept a clean sheet; Vert didn't get booked.

I noticed Sissoko was multi-tasking. At one point, after doing fụck all on the right, he switched over and did fụck all on the left. Laugh

If he has to get game-time let it be against Brighton rather than citeh though.
Report FIGJAM December 14, 2017 11:16 PM GMT
Lol hippie.

Fyi Punter Lame Ella reverted to type trying to get everything on his left foot,no better no worse than last year,the team's standards are dropping some from enforced injuries, some by selection.
It's no good blaming Sissoko who's completely useless, the buck stops with the selector...the manager.
So we're carrying him,plus we've got the headless chicken Lame Ella add to that Wicks who's gone negative.
Believe me as mafe says until we get Victor and Dembele beck together we're going to slip down the table.
Perhaps I'm being harsh on Winks he seems unable to counter the blanket defence we get with teams parking the bus, he could be out of form a la Dele,but he sure ain't training on atmo.
Report JUDGE JUDY December 16, 2017 2:32 PM GMT
A friend of mine has two tickets for your  home game versus Southampton on boxing day

If anybody is interested let me know

All I will do is give you their number and then you can arrange
Report JUDGE JUDY December 16, 2017 2:33 PM GMT
They are meant to be good tickets on the halfway line
Report sofaking December 16, 2017 7:02 PM GMT
Pretty clear from today's performance that Dembele is finished as a top level player.
Report JUDGE JUDY December 16, 2017 7:13 PM GMT
NowcI know why there is no rush for these tickets
Report hippie December 16, 2017 8:42 PM GMT
Clearly they're a good side because they're carrying all before them but to rock up and not even be competitive is criminal, especially when you're set up as if you're going to have a go.

The only competition on show was who could put in the lamest performance and it was a miracle to go in just one down at half time. Fụck knows what was going on at the back. Trippier and Rose were shyte (give Rose his dues, he was pissing his pants and telling any journalist that would listen before the match how frightening they were), Dier was dire, Winks limitations were put under the microscope and cruelly exposed (what did he think he was doing when Gundogan had his free header for the first? He looked like he was waiting for a bus) but the winner by a country mile - Dembele - with a "seeing is believing" display. He should be strapped to a chair (like Alex in A Clockwork Orange) and forced to watch his "highlights" for a week, on a constant loop. At some point during the match he must have thought to himself "what the fụck am I doing?"

Poch knew. The best thing he did this week was to make sure the 3 points against Brighton were secured. His, and the teams, "elite" credentials took a knock there.  It's starting to feel like "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" Wink

Hopefully someone will eventually turn up at citeh to play the team, not the reputation.

Disappointed in how the club were represented doesn't come close.
Report Wesdag December 16, 2017 9:33 PM GMT
Didn't look like a £1bn pound team out there tonight.

I suggest that some are starting to believe in their own publicity.
Report ribero1 December 16, 2017 10:03 PM GMT
Haven't seen the game (deleted recording!),first thrashing for some time but it does now seem that it was coming and will be interesting where we go from here as from being "contenders" we now seem a distance away and 6th at best and no doubt a few will be looking at where Walker is now compared to their lot,over to you Daniel & Mauricio.
Report hippie December 16, 2017 10:51 PM GMT
It was a thrashing but the scoreline isn't too relevant. After the first went in there was never any question of doing anything other than go forward, it was just the execution was woeful.

We went the same way as the other "faces" against citeh and with favourable fixtures until the United, Liverpool(A), Woolwich sequence starting 31 January there's no reason not to be challenging for the CL places with the rest of the also-rans.

Woolwich v Liverpool next week so a win at Burnley closes the gap again.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now