Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
FOYLESWAR
05 Apr 18 22:31
| Topic/replies: 13,431 | Blogger: FOYLESWAR's blog
gone at 60 Crylegend who helped put darts on the map ,rip eric !
Share |
Show More
Report Lucky Sod April 5, 2018 10:39 PM BST
Five-time world darts champion Eric Bristow has died at the age of 60.

The news was announced by the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC), which said Bristow died on Thursday following a heart attack.

Bristow, world champion five times between 1980 and 1986, also won five World Masters titles and was a founder player when the PDC was formed in 1993.

PDC chairman Barry Hearn said he would "always be a legend in the world of darts and British sport".

He added: "He was a tremendous player and a huge character, and even after his retirement fans would travel for miles to meet him and see him play."

Bristow, who was nicknamed the Crafty Cockney, was awarded an MBE for his services to sport in 1989.

He also worked as a TV pundit and appeared on ITV show I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here in 2012.
Report a bitofinterest April 5, 2018 10:47 PM BST
a few years ago at ally pally i was at the ladbrokes counter asking for a price on the last match

i was pushed aside by bristow who said"dont worry about his tupenny ha'penny bets ,i want to get a bet on" Laugh

he proceeded to place £250 on over 180s in andersons game.it lost

RIP eric Sad
Report GRANTCKING April 5, 2018 11:22 PM BST
Sad
Report alun2005 April 5, 2018 11:24 PM BST
Ahh, I remember that wonderful tale well Bito. One can only begin to wonder how often he pulled rank over all and sundry.

I hope the Forum will indulge me to copy here a story I've already put on Chit Chat Forum.

Not only a great player/champion, but a major figure in the development of Phil T's even greater career of domination.

Met Eric at Newmarket races around 10 years ago, in one of those big tents where him and Keith D were doing some sort of exhibition. He couldn't have been nicer. I offered to buy him a pint of Guinness. He said 'Come here a second" and walked me back to his table, which was groaning under the weight of umpteen other drinks which I guess others had already bought him. He wryly said "I've got a bit of with on with those'.  The Great Man even chalked a leg of darts I played.

Alas his betting was also not up to scratch on that Newmarket day either. He kept going up to the betting booth, backing anything on 4 legs and losing. I can still hear him snarl 'Need a winner'. 

An inescapable figure from the dawn of that first great era of Professional Darts. Eric, Alan E, Leighton R and Jocky W, all gone too young.  What a set of rematches in Darts Heaven.
Report a bitofinterest April 5, 2018 11:37 PM BST
we were lucky to see that era of darts al,hope you are well
Report alun2005 April 5, 2018 11:46 PM BST
Great days indeed Bito. Impossibly exciting darts.   

My best regards to you as ever.
Report Vubiant April 6, 2018 12:35 AM BST
Checked out at 20 , double top.Shocked
Report hfink April 6, 2018 9:03 AM BST
Shocked and very sad to hear this news Sad
Report alun2005 April 6, 2018 9:55 AM BST
For anyone who never saw this, may I recommend this 1979 film made about Bristow called 'Arrows". I saw it in the cinema back in the day as the support film. Can't remember what the main feature was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA1WDB29hrw
Report dlarssonf April 6, 2018 10:00 AM BST
Very sad news , RIP Eric Sad
Report Cardinal Scott April 6, 2018 10:15 AM BST

Apr 6, 2018 -- 9:55AM, alun2005 wrote:

For anyone who never saw this, may I recommend this 1979 film made about Bristow called 'Arrows". I saw it in the cinema back in the day as the support film. Can't remember what the main feature was. .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA1WDB29hrw

The Long Good Friday

RIP Eric, legend in your field.

Report pauliow April 6, 2018 10:39 AM BST
Saddened and shocked by this, Bristow and Wilkins in the same week, two sportsman I grew up with and watched become stars in their sports. RIP both of you.
Report wisewords April 6, 2018 7:03 PM BST
I was truly saddened and extremely shocked when I found out about Eric's passing last night. Rest in peace Sad
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 24, 2018 11:47 PM BST
Tributes have been paid to darts legend Eric Bristow, whose funeral took place today in Staffordshire.
Report intheknow April 27, 2018 12:02 PM BST
As he lived in Staffordshire, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now