Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
asparagus
31 Dec 17 13:01
| Topic/replies: 3,120 | Blogger: asparagus's blog
I appreciate there is a lot of banter with the crowds and that actually to some extent the players have to put up with it as it's the paying customers who are paying their wages (along with tv I guess). However, i really think it's getting out of hand now and it's about time the PDC employed extra security to kick out serial offenders. The whistling is ridiculous. We are talking about a world championships after all.
Share |
Show More
Report saxon farm December 31, 2017 1:43 PM GMT
Here here.
Report Aladdin Sane December 31, 2017 2:35 PM GMT
Agree to a certain extent, but I also feel a bit sorry for those who DO attend.  Apparently, last night’s second semi finished just after midnight (I say “apparently” because I just couldn’t stay awake myself!).
Sky pay such little regard to those that go to these events. Why on earth can’t they just start earlier?
Report stu December 31, 2017 2:36 PM GMT
...and doing it to a world champion in a crunch set of throws too - do they appreciate the sport at all?
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND December 31, 2017 2:54 PM GMT
Anybody go to the darts when it was at The Circus Tavern? Maybe, I am seeing through rose tinted glasses, however do not remember the crowd
being so hostile during the throw?
Report dlarssonf December 31, 2017 3:27 PM GMT
More to do with it been an english crowd , never been the most pleasant bunch at sporting events Laugh
Report thepunter December 31, 2017 4:13 PM GMT
Its all Pipe's fault, that's where the booing started this year...

More seriously, it needs a new rule for that situation : 1st time a formal warning from the ref., then 3 minutes interruption every time such a situion occurs. Simple but should work.
Report bobweenit December 31, 2017 4:29 PM GMT

Dec 31, 2017 -- 4:13PM, thepunter wrote:

Its all Pipe's fault, that's where the booing started this year...More seriously, it needs a new rule for that situation : 1st time a formal warning from the ref., then 3 minutes interruption every time such a situion occurs. Simple but should work.

Laugh trying to control thousands off pish heads with a 3 minute outage oh myLaugh

Report bobweenit December 31, 2017 4:30 PM GMT
the board would be off and there would be riots after the second outage Laugh would be funny tho
Report Gordon63 December 31, 2017 4:34 PM GMT
starts too late - benefits only TV and venue (more lager sold) so crowd participation (!) almost inevitable, sad state of affairs and needs looking at for next year..

not surprised that MVG on the receiving end against an englishman though
Report MC Roller December 31, 2017 4:46 PM GMT
They are not true darts fans. All they do is dress up like complete fannies, drink rat piss by the jug load, and sing the same shitt over and over for hours on end. Have a look in the mirror you utter muppets.
Report GRANTCKING December 31, 2017 7:36 PM GMT
STAND UP IF YOU LOVE THE DARTS
Report Danno January 1, 2018 12:19 PM GMT
Huge change over the years in the darts crowd; until not many years ago it was pretty silent while the players were throwing (the ref used to start each leg with "Best of order..."), and noisy in between visits to the board.  I remember once getting told off by the the ref during a Scholten match at the Circus Tavern, by shouting out "Come on Ro-land" at the wrong time. Blush

But recently, they've realised that they're fighting a losing battle, so it's basically anything goes at any time.  The focus has shifted onto it being a huge pi$$-up for the majority, often resulting in nobody watching the action on the board.  When you're trying to make as much cash as possible by selling as much lager by the jug as possible, you can't be surprised when the crowd misbehave.  I suspect the players are told to never be openly critical about it, as Hearn makes them aware that it's the paying masses which results in them getting big prize money these days.

I went to the Palace a couple of years back with a corporate group who had a spare ticket, and someone heard I'd be interested in going.  It was basically a works night out where they all went in fancy dressed to get as lashed as possible.  None of them had the slightest interest in darts (most had never heard of Phil Taylor), and were staggered that I was interested in the actual contest on the stage.

Not entirely sure what my point is here, but suffice to say that darts has got the crowd it deserves.  By expanding the market beyond the hardcore fan, and filling them with booze, they can't be surprised by the disgraceful booing of a world champion at a crucial point in a world semi-final.

Was watching an old Priestly / Taylor contest on the darts channel recently; close match with total silence during throws and deafening roars between visits.  The atmosphere was electric; so exciting and a shame that we'll never witness that sort of environment again.
Report asparagus January 1, 2018 1:43 PM GMT
Danno, agree with nearly all of your post. The one thing I would say is that the whistling, booing and other ways of trying to put players off has really increased over the last couple of years. It happened occasionally at Ally Pally a few years ago, but it wasn't regular. Now it seems to be nearly every match and at key moments. I've been to plenty of nights at Ally Pally and never felt it's as bad as this year.
Report MJK January 1, 2018 2:22 PM GMT
As I said on another thread surely making a cap on what each person can drink is an obvious starting point? Everyone gets vouchers on the way in and can only purchase drink with one of these.
Report asparagus January 1, 2018 2:33 PM GMT
I really don't think it's the drinking which is the main cause. It's the gambling. MVG is very popular but all the £10 and £20 punters have their money on Cross and then try and put MVG off. Happens a lot when there is a strong favourite. It definitely wasn't the England V Holland thing.
Report MJK January 1, 2018 10:03 PM GMT
Great to see they had no chance to disgrace themselves again tonight.
Report charwell. January 1, 2018 10:30 PM GMT
A complete bunch of ignorant drunks. Same boring chants, jeering of players and pilgrimage to slimeball Taylor.

The BDO crowd is far more sporting and knowledgeable.
Report STUDYFORM January 3, 2018 11:35 PM GMT
Just warn everyone that whistling will not be accepted and anyone doing it will be kicked out along with their friends.
It'd only take one ejection of people, everyone will be too scared to do it again - order restored.
Report n88uk January 5, 2018 6:50 PM GMT
Don't really think it's as bad for the spectacle as made out. At the end of the day players got to deal with a bit of booing etc. Plenty of sports with hostile crowds.
Report asparagus January 7, 2018 1:52 PM GMT
N88uk, well it definitely made the difference to who became world champion so it depends on what you think is fair. Good luck to Rob Cross as he's a decent bloke and is a very good player. However, MVG wins without the crowd putting him off for almost certain.
Charwell, you are way off target if you think it's a pilgrimage for Taylor. He often gets as much stick as anyone. The BDO is a much fairer crowd though it's even creeping in there a bit. Waites crowd heckling Durrant definitely got to him in the 2016 quarter finals which Waites went on to win.
Report n88uk January 8, 2018 10:42 PM GMT
The crowd were against Cross in the round before against van den Bergh, and he had to deal with similar antics to get over the line.
Report xmoneyx July 20, 2018 10:44 PM BST
06:00   
ENE
ENE
7 / 11 km/h    14 / 14°C    95%    1013 mb   
100%
0.1 mm
Mist
09:00   
SE
SE
4 / 4 km/h    17 / 17°C    95%    1013 mb   
92%
0.1 mm
Mist
12:00   
S
S
10 / 12 km/h    20 / 19°C    87%    1014 mb   
75%
0.1 mm
Cloudy skies
15:00   
SSW
SSW
15 / 17 km/h    22 / 21°C    82%    1014 mb   
57%
0.2 mm
Light rain shower
18:00   
SW
SW
18 / 23 km/h    20 / 19°C    81%    1013 mb   
57%
0.0 mm
Partly cloudy skies
21:00   
WSW
WSW
21 / 27 km/h    18 / 17°C    81%    1013 mb   
71%
Report olddesperado July 20, 2018 11:48 PM BST
I suppose when you put it like that.
Report DirkDiggler August 17, 2018 10:50 PM BST
A great sporting event completely ruined by the thickest of the thick, hours and hours on end of the same 2 or 3 songs has now made the PDC championship unwatchable for me. The change of venue was the beginning of the end.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now