Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Rockinron
25 Jul 16 11:24
| Topic/replies: 1,438 | Blogger: Rockinron's blog
I'm having an argument with a colleauge and ...he says that in no way could Chris Froome lose the "Tour de France" on the fianal stage around Paris.
OK - I know he has an almost unasailable lead ...but according to what the commentators were saying there are circumstances under which Froome could still lose and has to ride out the final stage to be certain to win.
My colleage was saying he didn't even have to turn up  to win ...he'd  won before this final stage and the final stage doesn't count!
I've tried to Google this...but not really having much luck ...all I could find was the following :-

"Chris Froome all but wrapped up the Tour de France title as Spaniard Ion Izaguirre won the 20th and penultimate stage on Saturday.

With Sunday’s 21st and final stage little more than a procession to the Champs-Elysees in Paris, only a disaster can deny Froome a third Tour title now".

SO HELP ME OUT GUYS ....GIVE ME A PROPER LINK.
Many thanks.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Tour de France 2016 - help me out...
Show More
Report bix July 25, 2016 11:33 AM BST
He has to ride and complete the last stage without losing time but no-one is trying to take any time from him.
Report GoBallistic July 25, 2016 12:06 PM BST
You can move up and down GC on the final stage in certain (v rare) circumstances

e.g. 2005: Vino's brilliant win with a late attack in Paris moved him up from 6th to 5th ahead of Leipheimer

So it's legit if somehow you can take time through being stronger

What would happen in case of mechanical / crash ? I would guess the other riders would wait and the race would be effectively neutralized.

If the leader crashed so badly that he literally couldn't ride then I guess that would mean he would lose the race. The 2nd place rider would probably decline to stand on the top step of the podium but officially he would have won
Report CJ70 July 25, 2016 1:50 PM BST
Was it Abdoujaparov(sp?) that crashed on the final stage to lose the green jersey because he couldn't physically finish? I'm pretty sure it happened to somebody in the 80/90's.
Report Rockinron July 25, 2016 1:56 PM BST
"He has to ride and complete the last stage without losing time but no-one is trying to take any time from him"
++++++++++++++++++++++++
From what I've read (on google) ..."there is a gentlemans agreement" not to beat the yellow Jersey ...on the final stage.
However ...they did take time off him coming into the final stage Chris Froome had a four minutes plus lead which was considered "unassailable" but his overall winning margin after the final stage was ...2 minutes and 52 seconds.
Report bb66 July 25, 2016 3:50 PM BST
He rolled over the line in line with his teammates behind the peloton, knowing he has enough time in hand, but the final GC gives his advantage with 4:05. It seems they applied the 3k rule even if the gaps where not caused by falls or punctures.

In the last years when there was rain on the final circuit they even took the time when passing the finish line the first time not to get the GC turned upside down on Champs Elysee
Report jodean July 25, 2016 3:53 PM BST
Wink
Report Rockinron July 26, 2016 8:47 AM BST
OK ...got that but lets theorise a bit more -
What would happen if Chris Froome's lead coming into the final stage was only 5 or 10 seconds - a minimal lead would the Yellow Jersey still not be "attacked" ?
I know what I'd do if I were in second or third place ...I'd have a go...or would this be considered as un-gentlemanly conduct ?
Report GoBallistic July 26, 2016 10:20 AM BST
Nothing wrong with that at all although in most cases the rider in second wouldn't even bother knowing it would be virtually impossible
Report CJ70 July 26, 2016 11:40 AM BST

Jul 26, 2016 -- 8:47AM, Rockinron wrote:

OK ...got that but lets theorise a bit more -What would happen if Chris Froome's lead coming into the final stage was only 5 or 10 seconds - a minimal lead would the Yellow Jersey still not be "attacked" ?I know what I'd do if I were in second or third place ...I'd have a go...or would this be considered as un-gentlemanly conduct ?

Would only be conceivable if the gap was a couple of seconds and there was an intermediate sprint giving time bonuses IMO.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now