Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rosebowl
19 Apr 18 16:42
| Topic/replies: 538 | Blogger: rosebowl's blog
Press reports that the new ECB 8 team tournament based on City franchises will be 100 ball sa a side. 15 x6 and a final over of 10 balls. Personally I think the whole tournament is an unneccessary addition to an already congested season.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View New 100 ball a side tournament
Show More
Report wondersobright April 19, 2018 6:13 PM BST
The ECB believes the concept will help to appeal to families and a more diverse and younger audience, and provide some distinction from the T20 Blast.

Laugh pmsl

so when "leeds" are playing in leeds, how exactly do they think they are going to attract people from york, hull, sheffield, donny etc (ie the traditional yorkshire audience)

nobody will go beyond the people who live in the city of the franchise

its badly thought out
Report wondersobright April 19, 2018 6:15 PM BST
we need 1 decent, condensed T20 tournament
1 decent, condensed 50 over comp
and a 16-game a season 2-division county championship

nobody who isn't going to the T20 is going to go to this sh1t
Report Whisperingdeath April 19, 2018 8:59 PM BST
I want a job with these monkeys and I want the same drugs they are on!
Report FredRescue April 19, 2018 8:59 PM BST
The only reason this is going ahead is so the women's tournament can piggy back on the men's again (nap)
Report FatherMaguire April 19, 2018 11:45 PM BST
A completely farcical idea - part of me hopes it dies on its backside, but it will put cricket back on terrestrial TV so am a bit torn cos that can't be an altogether bad thing - guess the powers that be want everyone to stop going to the current T20 and get behind this so they can have a logical calendar again
Report DirkDiggler April 20, 2018 12:13 PM BST
Clutching at straws, an ill-conceived panic measure. T20 ticks the attention deficit box already.
Report peckerdunne April 20, 2018 3:14 PM BST
It's being Hearned.

How i miss a good 40/40 game....
Report DStyle April 20, 2018 3:42 PM BST
this is excellent:

https://beingoutsidecricket.com/2018/04/20/the-fox-without-a-tail/
Report Injera April 21, 2018 7:47 PM BST
The constant attempt to reinvent the wheel is tiresome.

Australia has 6 Sheffield Shield sides. 6!!!!!!!!!!! The Big Bash therefore fills a gap. They're a city based country with great weather, Christmas and New year cricket and no twighlight. India have falen out of love with test cricket, have no regular matches with Pakistan, have great weather and love one day stuff. They also have fanatical, football style enthusiasm.

Here we have freezing cold evenings which don't get dark till 10, a reserved approach to one day cricket, 18 counties, we love test cricket which revolves around booze, we're not a city based country and we love our history so franchises won't appeal.
Report donny osmond April 21, 2018 11:27 PM BST
it must be like being around when football spawned rugby , then rugby split in 2

maybe the yanks will get a version to make a world series, and some aussie rules with
diy involved

funny old game ...
Report detraveller April 22, 2018 11:21 AM BST
That 10 ball over is only there to take away attention from the rest of the crap. Like politicians do. Create a disaster and on top of that create another one so people don't talk about the previous one.
Report wondersobright April 22, 2018 12:47 PM BST
"aimed at mums and kids in the summer holidays" according to strauss

WALOFS

It truly is an identity crisis mixed with a money grab.
^this is spot on

the cricket ssn is actually fkin easy to organise for anybody with half a brain

2 divisions of 9 teams, 16 games a ssn county championship split into 3 blocks start, middle and end of ssn
50 over comp a shortened group format...QF, SF & then lord's final
20 over comp a shortened group format...QF, SF & then edgbaston final

no need for any franchise bollox
it works in india & australia, it won't work in england with the existing county structure, interests & allegiances are too well ingrained in england

play the CC in 3 blocks, beginning middle and end, green seamers at the start, flat belters in the middle, turning tracks at the end
50 over comp in the 1st break between the blocks may/june
20 over comp in the 2nd break between the blocks july/aug (summer hols)

structure it well
get the overseas players in
make sure the england players are available for parts of it also
Report Injera April 22, 2018 5:06 PM BST
Strauss wants the game to be 'easier to understand'.

Laugh
Report Whisperingdeath April 22, 2018 6:46 PM BST
We need to find out who suggested the LBW Law be scrapped!

If it was Strauss he as to goLaughLaughLaugh
Report mafeking April 23, 2018 2:02 PM BST
how about they replace the hard white ball with a bigger white one full of air and have a couple of nets at either end of the ground ? the masses may be able to get their heads around that Crazy
Report Whisperingdeath April 23, 2018 3:02 PM BST
There’s something particularly special about a new concept that requires those announcing it on social media to feel compelled to add variations on the phrase “this is not a joke”.

After the initial derision – and it ought to be concerning that the response wasn’t outrage, but merriment and mocking

Perhaps the best illustration of the artificial attempts at differentiation was the reported discussion about whether to scrap the lbw rule for the new competition.  As an example of sheer stupidity, this one can’t be beaten.  That it wasn’t approved isn’t the point, it takes a special kind of mind to even float an idea so idiotic that it ought to disqualify anyone doing so from being allowed remotely near the game of cricket.
Report peckerdunne April 24, 2018 9:36 AM BST
It would be good too if they could could colour code the outfield so everyone knows the field placings.

Also i think you should be able to run on a six until the bowler retrieves the ball.

Wouldn't that be exciting..
Report Injera April 24, 2018 5:16 PM BST
mafe highlights the idiocy of trying to dumb the game down making you wonder whether 'they' even like cricket. The attempt to make it appeal to people with the attention span of a goldfish is never gonna work. Why not reduce it to 10 overs???

It's a game of charm and nuance, skill and tactics. The ECB would prefer it to be more akin to rounders.

You either love the game or you don't. By trying to get gate revenues up by a few thousand, they run the risk of killing it altogether.
Report donny osmond April 25, 2018 11:19 AM BST
why not just have a rounders league on bbc with various sports stars playing

i think it would be more popular than a game rejected by its own followers
Report Fatslogger April 25, 2018 12:35 PM BST
I don’t like to write off innovations as automatically bad but there just seems no upside at all to this and plenty of downsides. T20, love or hate it, has a clear brand and following. This will not automatically drag all T20 enthusiasts along, will confuse plenty of people with a more casual interest and seems highly unlikely to attract anyone new. Why would it? It seems almost calculated to wind up people like me who like T20 but don’t want a further erosion of its links with more traditional cricket. Ten ball overs? Do please fu3k the fu3k off.
Report Cardinal Scott April 25, 2018 1:46 PM BST
The shorter the format the worse results I get from my trading so count me out as a fan of this from a selfish point of view, tweaking T20 was the way to go.take measurse to speed it, not this nonsense.
Report VardonVoo. April 27, 2018 4:16 PM BST
This idea reminds me of the poncey creep in that annoying Bud Light advert that tries to offer the Kings Court some kind of spiced honey mead wine and should be consigned to the Pit of Misery. Dilly, effing dilly.

Shame the Pro 40s have got edged out. I've always thought that 50 overs was just too long to avoid becoming a bit tedious at the tail ends. 40 overs just keeps things a bit snappier.

An interesting variant could be 40 overs each, split into two innings of 20, alternating between sides. You could play each set of 20 as one long split innings or perhaps as two separate and even have the second innings with the batting order reversed. Maybe the teams could play the innings 20/40/20. Or the teams could toss again at half time to see who goes 3rd. I'm sure any of these would be interesting from a gambling perspective. Being closer to the format of the 4- and 5-day games, it might also broaden interest in those as a bonus.
Report wondersobright April 27, 2018 5:03 PM BST
I miss the pro40 too but they scrapped it on the logic that there is no 40 over international cricket played

so why the fack they have dreamed this crap up I have no idea
Report detraveller April 27, 2018 8:42 PM BST
Would have been interesting if they had split this into a 10 over two innings game(or on similar lines). They'd have something new. And it would also have helped as an experiment to test two innings limited overs games. They'd have gotten more breaks for adverts and for selling drinks at the ground.
Report donny osmond April 27, 2018 9:09 PM BST
kids get to play cricket starting with 200 runs, losing runs for a wicket and gaining runs in usual manner

if they want mums and kids involved it might have been an option to use their scoring system
Report wondersobright April 28, 2018 2:20 PM BST

Apr 27, 2018 -- 8:42PM, detraveller wrote:

Would have been interesting if they had split this into a 10 over two innings game(or on similar lines). They'd have something new. And it would also have helped as an experiment to test two innings limited overs games. They'd have gotten more breaks for adverts and for selling drinks at the ground.

that's not a bad idea det

could have done something like 9 randomly drawn matches involving all 18 counties
the 9 winners score points for runs scored and wickets taken and lose points for runs conceded and wickets lost
then the 4 highest scorers go for a 1 off finals day

matches played on 1 weekend and finals day the following weekend

we don't need all this long drawn out sh1t or 10 ball overs or 18 group games or LBW disappearing or any other bollox they can dream
just traditional cricket, in a shortened tournament format
get the best players in and make it an entertaining spectacle

Report stephaniebot April 29, 2018 8:47 PM BST
The other thing is, unless the ECB, or the franchise owners (whoever they may be?) get the money out, and pay for some real names, its just going to be county cricket journeymen, in all likelihood. Especially, as they probably will arrange a test, or ODI series against it, so the best English players aren't available either
Report Injera April 30, 2018 8:47 AM BST
One possibilty to liven up our T20 comp is to bring the top 2 IPL teams over to compete. Would they want to? Who knows.

But that would make the comp attractive to Indian tv audiences.
Report peckerdunne May 1, 2018 10:46 AM BST
They should have a bonus feature built in also.

For example the 21st delivery is worth double on a six and but will lose 6 if you are given out.

Bowlers need to be on the shot clock or penalty runs incurred.

Cant wait!
Report charlatan May 24, 2018 7:18 PM BST
i don't see why i should give any more of a toss about these franchises than i do about the indian or australian equivalents.

i understand the notion of limited attention spans but surely the solution is obvious and should satisfy the diehards as well as their imaginary female and youth replacements: make the fielding side bowl 20 overs within a hour.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now