Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rosebowl
15 Jan 18 17:27
| Topic/replies: 14,711 | Blogger: rosebowl's blog
Ben has been charged with affray.Even if convicted is likely to get only fine and community service order. Looks  like he is pleading not guilty as he could have pleaded guilty today in order to obtain early guilty plea discount. Will probaly go to Crown Court which will take 9 months to a year before it is heard.I imagine he will be able to afford a very good defence barrister.
Share |
Show More
Report detraveller August 7, 2018 8:09 PM BST
Oh feck so its the queen vs stokes and co?
Report Cardinal Scott August 7, 2018 8:10 PM BST

Aug 7, 2018 -- 2:07PM, detraveller wrote:

I thought this would have been settled outside court? Stokes is a rich man and whoever he beat up must have a price. But looks like it'll be decided by the judge then.Yeah we've only listened to one side. This'll probably go on for some time wouldn't it? Have they given the next hearing date?

In America that would happen defo.

Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 8:12 PM BST

Aug 7, 2018 -- 2:09PM, detraveller wrote:

Oh feck so its the queen vs stokes and co?

I think so yeh

Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 8:12 PM BST
Bristol Crown Court previously heard Ryan Ali, 28, and Ryan Hale, 27, were knocked unconscious by 27-year-old Mr Stokes.

They also deny affray and are on trial alongside the cricketer.
Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 8:13 PM BST
all 3 on trial for affray
Report Whisperingdeath August 7, 2018 8:28 PM BST
Oh DT!

To be fair the three had a fight and are sitting together in the Dock. Wouldn't happen down my way as all the pikey mates would join in and there would be a brawl in the court house!

This is not looking good for Ginger. I think if found guilty he would not be allowed to play for England for a while. All very disappointing. This will hit him hard in the pocket too and that might help!
Report Cardinal Scott August 7, 2018 8:29 PM BST
I don't like whats coming about Stokesy, they're painting him as a Big Time Charlie/Bully/Thug and worse a smoker.
Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 8:34 PM BST
so its the Government prosecuting them? I dont see the point in this as the people he battered werent pressing charges, seems a waste of tax payers money
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 8:38 PM BST
surprised they just didn't come to an out of court settlement tbh

stokes had that fat IPL deal that you'd think they'd want a slice of rather than have all the sh1t
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 8:40 PM BST
he bought adam johnson's mansion so he aint short of a few bob
Report peckerdunne August 7, 2018 8:41 PM BST
Community service............
Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 8:42 PM BST

Aug 7, 2018 -- 2:38PM, wondersobright wrote:

surprised they just didn't come to an out of court settlement tbhstokes had that fat IPL deal that you'd think they'd want a slice of rather than have all the sh1t

yeh but settle with who? the government?

Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 8:48 PM BST
what's it got to do with the govt?
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 8:49 PM BST
thought it was to do with the brawl that he had which was caught on CCTV?
Report Whisperingdeath August 7, 2018 8:50 PM BST
Good grief, does anybody know the laws of the country they live in?
Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 8:55 PM BST

Aug 7, 2018 -- 2:49PM, wondersobright wrote:

thought it was to do with the brawl that he had which was caught on CCTV?

well im assuming its the government prosecuting them, its not the 2 guys he assaulted, theyre all getting done for the same thing, so who is the other side?

Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 8:56 PM BST

Aug 7, 2018 -- 2:50PM, Whisperingdeath wrote:

Good grief, does anybody know the laws of the country they live in?

Laugh tell me WD who is doing the prosecuting!

Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 9:00 PM BST
CPS
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 9:01 PM BST
not the govt ffs Laugh
Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 9:02 PM BST
CPS/Government = same thing, why would they do a deal with stokes for money?
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 9:02 PM BST
the video I have seen stokes is swinging at 2 guys (Laugh) who are backing off, and stokes's mate is trying to pull him back
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 9:02 PM BST
I didn't realise the others were up as well
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 9:03 PM BST
for that reason^^
Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 9:03 PM BST
yeh the 2 guys got battered and up for the same charge as stokes!
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 9:07 PM BST
stokes knocks 1 of them out nearly sparko and then goes onto the other 1
Report wondersobright August 7, 2018 9:07 PM BST
Laugh
Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 9:12 PM BST
Laugh
Report GRANTCKING August 7, 2018 9:13 PM BST
GINGER RAGE!
Report detraveller August 7, 2018 11:03 PM BST
So the guy who had a fractured eye socket was one of ryan ali and ryan hale? or was that someone else?
Report mafeking August 7, 2018 11:50 PM BST
both the blokes stokes hit are on trial with him
Report jucel69 August 8, 2018 8:10 AM BST
What a waster of tax payers' money. A bit of a scuffle outside a pub
Report sonofshinner August 8, 2018 8:39 AM BST
imagine the ozzies leaving one of their better players at home on a tour of england...struth its only a scuffle after a few tinnies....
Report Cardinal Scott August 8, 2018 10:45 AM BST

Aug 8, 2018 -- 2:39AM, sonofshinner wrote:

imagine the ozzies leaving one of their better players at home on a tour of england...struth its only a scuffle after a few tinnies....

They did....Davy Warner Champions Trophy 2014 for slapping Joe Root.

Report trader pj August 8, 2018 11:31 AM BST
this was a standard young man can't take his beer incident
Report Cardinal Scott August 8, 2018 11:33 AM BST
I want to see him pay a price, remember him mocking Jordan's mentally disabled son, he's clearly a nasty piece of work
Report trader pj August 8, 2018 11:56 AM BST

Aug 8, 2018 -- 5:33AM, Cardinal Scott wrote:

I want to see him pay a price, remember him mocking Jordan's mentally disabled son, he's clearly a nasty piece of work

might just be a case of straight low-consciousness low-mindfulness, low IQ  rather than "nasty" per se

Report bobweenit August 8, 2018 12:04 PM BST

Aug 8, 2018 -- 5:33AM, Cardinal Scott wrote:

never seen that yeah obviously a piece of filth mocking a kid with disabilities that's low ! Never liked the ginga I know why know

Report peckerdunne August 8, 2018 3:21 PM BST
Clarify this mocking scenario please.
Report Cardinal Scott August 8, 2018 4:01 PM BST
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/ben-stokes-imitates-katie-prices-11254076

Have a look for yourself, vile behaviour, not funny at all.
Report peckerdunne August 8, 2018 4:43 PM BST
i remember now, no need to see that again...

not sure how vile or idiotic intent wise

had forgot it was him so joining the dots

a bit of a tearaway
Report Whisperingdeath August 8, 2018 4:52 PM BST
Haven't seen todays court but I think one of the Ryans got a metal pole / street sign and brought it to the party. Not sure why the fight started to be honest. That will be interesting. I thought initially Ginger was supposed to be defending two gay men from harassment.

At the end of the day it was a punch up, no innocent bystanders were involved. If anyone should be in the dock it should be Hales for 1) Not stopping the idiot or 2) Going for a drink with an idiot knowing he was an idiot and capable of this sort of behaviour.

So some of ye thought he could pay off the CPS with a bit of dosh? God help us! Ashley perhaps he should have triedWinkWhoops!
Report peckerdunne August 8, 2018 5:01 PM BST
Yes your honour judge my client has received professional alcohol and behaviour therapy and

contributes to society through his many charities such as 'little gay men helpline'

a waste of taxpayers money and a donation to 'little gay men' humble new leaf never again

and a better ginger for young people
Report Whisperingdeath August 8, 2018 5:19 PM BST
The charge states that their "conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety", contrary to section 3(1) and (7) of the Public Order Act 1986.

He is claiming the gay defence defence! Interesting to see what the gays men say about it. Now if I wanted to pervert the course of justice I would be inclined to slip the gay men a little or perhaps large something!
Report peckerdunne August 8, 2018 5:34 PM BST
I think debate will ensue as to what exactly can be described as 'reasonable firmness' Blush
Report peckerdunne August 8, 2018 5:35 PM BST
Grin
Report Whisperingdeath August 8, 2018 5:38 PM BST
ooh you are awful, but I like you!
Report Injera August 8, 2018 5:40 PM BST
More importantly what did the street sign say? Was it 'Give Way' or perhaps 'Men at Work'?
Report peckerdunne August 8, 2018 5:44 PM BST
Laugh
Report Whisperingdeath August 8, 2018 5:45 PM BST
It obviously didn't say No Entry!
Report Injera August 8, 2018 5:50 PM BST
Grin

'One Way'?
Report detraveller August 8, 2018 7:35 PM BST
This looks really bad doesn't it?

Stokes initially claimed he was protecting the two gay men. But new CCTV shows him mocking them and flicking a cig(?) at them.
He's also seen bribing the bouncer.

Is there separate punishment for lying to the police?
And for bribing a bouncer? Or bribing in general?
Report peckerdunne August 8, 2018 8:58 PM BST
Automatic 10 lashes for attempted bribery.
Report bobweenit August 8, 2018 10:43 PM BST

Aug 8, 2018 -- 11:45AM, Whisperingdeath wrote:

It obviously didn't say No Entry!

good one WDLaughLaugh

Report Whisperingdeath August 9, 2018 3:52 AM BST
Oh come on guys!

Bribing a Bouncer....it is called tax! or rather the bouncer calls it tax free and wages for the low wages he gets paid from the owner to risk his life! I remember boys down my way getting 30 squid a night and their life was literally at risk!

We haven't seen Stokes defence yet. Hopefully and I say that from a cricketing point of view 1) He was defending the gay boys and 2) He was attacked first.

I think unfortunately though we may have seen what sort of a guy Stokes can be and it is not nice. I don't wish to cast stones but I do hope he can learn from this and be a good human being and great cricketer sadly like many I fear for some part of his career.
Report marychain1 August 9, 2018 11:30 AM BST
Judge: "Show me the footage of the incident"

*VIDEO PLAYS*

"OK, his front foot is behind the line and it is a fair and legal punch delivery"
"Switch to punch tracking. Punch in line, punch contact in line, fist hitting face"
"You can stay with your original decision of guilty. You're on the screen now"
Report salmon spray August 9, 2018 12:37 PM BST
One of the others cleared by the judge before the defence starts.
Report Ekbalco August 9, 2018 3:17 PM BST
What a farce of a charade that has cost you and me a minimum 750k - enough to employ 20 nurses full time for a year or pay the fiddled expenses of our glorious MP's for three months.

Go and stand in any of our stinking city centres any Friday/Saturday night and you'll see a hundred plus such incidents week in week out - a complete and utter show trial.

#scourgeofbottlebrandishingtoerags
#defenderofhismates
#kingofcumberland
Report GRANTCKING August 9, 2018 7:00 PM BST

Aug 9, 2018 -- 5:30AM, marychain1 wrote:

Judge: "Show me the footage of the incident"*VIDEO PLAYS*"OK, his front foot is behind the line and it is a fair and legal punch delivery""Switch to punch tracking. Punch in line, punch contact in line, fist hitting face""You can stay with your original decision of guilty. You're on the screen now"

Cry no rock'n'roll or snicko to confirm the punch landed!

Report DStyle August 9, 2018 8:04 PM BST
starting to get the feeling that stokes' team should have told him to plead guilty.....
Report Fatslogger August 9, 2018 8:05 PM BST

Aug 8, 2018 -- 11:34AM, peckerdunne wrote:

I think debate will ensue as to what exactly can be described as 'reasonable firmness'

A reasonable firmness to slip the gay man?

Report DStyle August 9, 2018 8:14 PM BST
although reading about it a little more (and I no legal expert) it seem that if stokes argument is that he was defending his friends and other people from violent conduct, it is up to the prosecution to disprove this, rather than the other away around.
Report Fatslogger August 9, 2018 8:21 PM BST
He’s been well tutored to say that he felt threatened and that he had to defend himself all along. That a bottle and a road sign were wielded against him strengthens that contention. He obviously comes out of this looking like a thug but I suspect without criminal record.
Report Garden Of Gulab August 9, 2018 10:02 PM BST
Is there a market on this?
Report detraveller August 9, 2018 10:56 PM BST

Aug 9, 2018 -- 2:04PM, DStyle wrote:

starting to get the feeling that stokes' team should have told him to plead guilty.....

Maybe Stokes already fired the lawyer who advised that and got a new one willing to defend him?
Do lawyers usually advise what's in the best interest of their client, or do they usually advise what brings them the most money?

Report jucel69 August 10, 2018 9:00 AM BST
There is a 4 min video before the fight when Stokes and Hales are having a bit of banter with the two gay blokes.
All 4 are laughing about something and therefore when the incident happened he probably felt he should intervene.
Report HonkyJoe August 10, 2018 11:55 AM BST
It's not clear from that video how friendly the banter is. Clearly it doesn't get so aggressive that the two gay blokes feel like leaving. However, Stokes and his mate do appear to be having a few jokes at their expense. And when Stokes seems to flick something (his cigarette?) at one of them, it does get a little more hostile for a few seconds.      From the different body language of the two groups, it looks like Stokes and his mate are throwing a few vaguely insulting comments at the gay blokes, and the gay blokes are largely trying to ignore it. I'm not sure it's a cheery equal exchange of barbs, as Stokes has suggested.  But then, video can be deceptive.

Quite a few of the people coming out of that club seem to be throwing insults or laughing at the two gay blokes, so I would imagine they were known at the club for being a bit, erm, queeny.. Probably they're used to getting 'banter' from the other people, and don't generally let it bother them.

Stokes shouldn't be arguing that he came to their defense because they were receiving homophobic comments - it's quite apparent that he was making fun of them himself.   However, it's one thing to engage in banter, and another to physically beat somebody up. His whole argument should be that the gay blokes were about to be physically assaulted, and so he felt obliged to come to their rescue, only to have their would-be assaulters turn aggressively on him. That would be much harder to refute.  Arguing vehemently that he wouldn't engage in homophobic banter seems daft, given the video evidence and witness reports.. Much better to forget that and portray himself as somebody trying to stop a serious assault.
Report impossible123 August 10, 2018 12:32 PM BST
Looking iffy for Stokes on latest reports from the BBC News. Selective amnesia aplenty (apparently).
Report the.mad.dog.man August 10, 2018 3:59 PM BST
i say 12 months suspendid and a fine he should get 18 months
Report soldieroffortune August 11, 2018 12:37 AM BST
Absolute total brainless thug!
Report VardonVoo. August 14, 2018 1:10 PM BST
Found "Not Guilty"!
Report Whisperingdeath August 14, 2018 1:39 PM BST
Kwality!

This has so I have read cost the Tax Payer in excess of £700,000 is that true?

The guys had a punch up. No serious harm done. The real crime is £700,000 has been GIVEN to Solicitors and the like while nurses and teachers don't earn enough money.

I think this verdict revolves around affray. WTBF were the CPS doing? Negligent waste of tax payer money!

Glad Stokes has missed the Ashes and another two Tests here! He would appear to be a thug and bully. I just want to see him and read about him on the cricket field in the future. Justice probably done sort of!
Report salmon spray August 14, 2018 2:33 PM BST
Lucky boy.
Report peckerdunne August 14, 2018 2:46 PM BST
Justice has been served.

Joe Bloggs would have received the exact same British justice.
Report Cardinal Scott August 14, 2018 4:27 PM BST
Stokes needs some kind of sanction, he is a role model to youngsters.
Report impossible123 August 14, 2018 4:32 PM BST
Very lucky, I think. Nevertheless, his name and personality has been tarnished beyond redemption; not a good day for cricket either.
Report Injera August 14, 2018 4:48 PM BST
He's in the squad for Trent Bridge.
Report Crawford August 14, 2018 6:48 PM BST
If the ECB sanction him further, he might want to go through the appeal court, as they were happy to exonerate that pediatrician in Leicester whose ineptitude cost a little boy his life,  But then again Stokes isn't a hard-scarf wearing Mus so probably won't get any special treatment.
Report VardonVoo. August 14, 2018 7:24 PM BST
Normally I reckon Plod wouldn't have taken things further unless an individual had wanted to press charges and if witnesses were prepared to testify, but given that there was very clear CCTV which was then seen by the public the CPS really didn't have a choice. I'm not sure you can say it was a "waste" of public money, cos Courts are never empty - someone else would have been in Court instead, incurring comparable daily costs. It certainly was an unfortunate use of his own money, though.
Report Fatslogger August 14, 2018 7:39 PM BST

Aug 14, 2018 -- 12:48PM, Crawford wrote:

If the ECB sanction him further, he might want to go through the appeal court, as they were happy to exonerate that pediatrician in Leicester whose ineptitude cost a little boy his life,

Report Fatslogger August 14, 2018 7:41 PM BST
Was just saying that was a prize winning effort at displaying ignorance on several levels at once. Well done!
Report VardonVoo. August 14, 2018 8:52 PM BST
How did you truncate the quote, FS?
Report Whisperingdeath August 14, 2018 8:58 PM BST
Well said FS!
Report NOW WE KNOW August 14, 2018 9:13 PM BST
CCTV shows Hales stamping on somebody while he is lying prone in the gutter. What a joke as he has been portrayed as totally innocent. Neither should play cricket again.
Report Whisperingdeath August 14, 2018 9:31 PM BST
Didn't look like to me. Looked like the prone as you put it fella attacked someone with a bottle, Stokes lamped him or he slipped and hales aimed a quick, nothing wrong with that imho!

As stated before he should have been charged for going out drinking with an airsehole!
Report impossible123 August 14, 2018 9:34 PM BST
Neither should play for England. The game is much bigger than these two individuals especially Mr Stokes who's form as long as one's arm; he's been negatively "involved" in controversies with various authorities.

The CPS have cocked-up too for later trying to have two additional charges of bodily harm added to his indictment despite taking 4 months to charge him, and 11 months to consider what to charge him with. A waste of taxpayers' money in every sense, I believe.
Report NOW WE KNOW August 14, 2018 9:38 PM BST
The full CCTV shows Hales doing exactly what I stated. Sadly no charges were pursued so it never became public.
Report Whisperingdeath August 14, 2018 9:52 PM BST
The bloke attacked with a bottle, would leave your mate to deal with it?
Report Fatslogger August 14, 2018 10:30 PM BST

Aug 14, 2018 -- 2:52PM, VardonVoo. wrote:

How did you truncate the quote, FS?

Along with being a casual racist and woefully ill informed about various aspects of the Bawa-Garba case, Crawford is a double spacer.

Report VardonVoo. August 14, 2018 10:44 PM BST
That's a camel-straw beyond forgiveness!
Report Lampus August 15, 2018 6:16 AM BST
In two weeks  time
Ihope i get a judge who loves horse racing
Report detraveller August 15, 2018 9:58 AM BST
The guy asked the arresting officer 3 times in 5 minutes to loosen the handcuffs. Wouldn't have survived a day in prison. No wonder he needs all those tattoos to look tough.
Report tanglefoot August 15, 2018 11:56 AM BST
When they polled the jury pool, nobody had heard of Ben Stokes and weren’t interested in cricket Laugh
Report mafeking August 15, 2018 12:46 PM BST
when i heard that thought immediately sounded highly implausible in a random group of 16 people
Report detraveller August 15, 2018 4:18 PM BST
At least Stokes helping ECB promote the game then.
Report Cardinal Scott August 16, 2018 10:25 PM BST
"Trevor Bayliss urges Ben Stokes to make public apology"

I like this from Trev   That will *Lance the Boil*

Trevor Bayliss urges Ben Stokes to make public apology http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24389030

Report impossible123 August 17, 2018 5:28 PM BST
Putting cricket before the abhorrent behaviour of the individual concerned 1st. I think this is an immature and insensitive decision by the England captain Joe Root with mainly self-interest at heart.

How can the ECB allow this to happen after the individual concerned has been referred to as a thug (if memory serves) in the courtroom just last week? Totally baffled and dejected.
Report Fatslogger August 18, 2018 6:34 PM BST
It’s a cricket team, not a convent. He was found not guilty and you can take everything the prosecution said about him with a big pinch of salt, especially as they failed to prove their case. He’s missed a lot of cricket for his drunken stupidity but if you fired everyone who had a brawl while drunk, you’d struggle to find many young men in work.
Report Whisperingdeath August 19, 2018 9:11 AM BST
Agreed FS FFS it is not a monastery!

Young men do this sheite, most learn from it. Hopefully Stokes will learn his lesson. His most immediate task is not formulating an apology, attending anger management school but perhaps fending of an attack for his place by young Curran! Curran wants it, deserves it, offers something different as a 4th seamer ( for that us all he is if the ball don't swing ) and will not die wondering if he was good enough. Next tour is Sri Lanka what will Stokes do out there?
Report Crawford August 22, 2018 7:40 PM BST
LOL at the performance of the scumbag balding tattooe-ed "ranga".  A fer runs, a few wickets, taking the place of the man of the match in the previous match.  Laugh

Good company with that other "ranga" keeper and others with stupid names like Woakes and Root, and that stroppy **** Broad.
Report Fatslogger August 22, 2018 11:28 PM BST
Woakes was man of the match in the previous match, Curran the one before that. Well done for waiting with your punchline but in an utterly terrrible game for England, Stokes was one of just two batsmen to do anything that wasn’t atrocious and did reasonably with the ball too, so it didn’t really work for you. Runs and wickets are pretty much the currency of test cricket, right? He didn’t have a great game, by any stretch of the imagination but was about the 9th or 10th most laughable England performer.

I think Curran has been very unlucky but on pure cricketing merit Stokes is obviously a better player, probably in all three facets of the game. Curran is almost certainly less of a t9sser but you can’t have everything and having been found not guilty, it would have been a bit odd and inconsistent to keep Stokes out.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now