Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rosebowl
26 Sep 17 15:59
| Topic/replies: 11,388 | Blogger: rosebowl's blog
Big Ben has been arrested by bristol police after an incident in a Bristol night club after the ODI match on sunday. Police allege actual bodily harm. will miss tomorrows game along with Hales who was also present during the alleged incident. Not the best timing for the Ashes selection meeting.!
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Ben Stokes arrested
Show More
Report donny osmond September 26, 2017 4:36 PM BST
perfect warm up for an ashes tour i would have thought!

Mischief
Report Crawford September 26, 2017 6:58 PM BST
Unlucky, stroppy ginger g1t.  Not for nothing do old-timers in Australia nick-name red-haired people "blue", as blue is an Aussie slang word for a fight, and ginger people like p1keys are never far from a fight.

Not to ginger tattoo-ed Stokes - having horrible tatts won't protect your lily-white skin from sun damage.  Just saying.....
Report pxb September 27, 2017 8:36 AM BST
May have broken bone in his hand.
Report Fatslogger September 27, 2017 11:35 AM BST
Minor fracture reported suggests boxer's fracture to me: break in the metacarpal bone of the little finger usually incurred from thumping someone or something (think he had same thing from hitting a locker earlier in his career). Not terribly clever of him.
Report salmon spray September 27, 2017 11:40 PM BST
Oh dear.
After this video what do they do about him ?
Even if no charges the Aussies will be baiting him on and OFF the pitch.
Report pxb September 28, 2017 1:09 AM BST
Having seen the video, I doubt we will see him for the Ashes.
Report SontaranStratagem September 28, 2017 1:28 AM BST
Think he could find himself in hot water here. That video doesnt look good and I think theyll be forced to drop him for the time being. He only as himself to blame though.
Report pxb September 28, 2017 7:31 AM BST
Without Stokes, 2 looking a big price for Aus at the Gabba.
Report PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH September 28, 2017 7:59 AM BST
absolutely shocking !! he should be banned immediately, might also face GBH charges, how on earth can the ECB make him vice captain !!
Report King of Dubai September 28, 2017 8:04 AM BST
Back to Durham for Stokesy.

Why are the england all rounders always absolute twats? - Botham, Flintoff, Stokes...
Report King of Dubai September 28, 2017 8:06 AM BST
And will they have him back in the 2018 IPL?

$2m for a punch - what a nutterCrazy
Report PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH September 28, 2017 8:20 AM BST
hard to see how he will not be charged !! he put another guy in hospital !!
Report Marlas_Magic September 28, 2017 8:48 AM BST
Don't really see what all the fuss is about. It is clear that he didn't initiate it and that one of the other protaganists had a weapon (bottle). It is tough to know what is appropriate force when protecting others but in this case the other guys got what they deserved. I am assuming if he gets charged for ABH that the other person will be in even worse trouble. Yes it is not ideal for England players to be out until this late and get into trouble. Again very tough to draw the line as to what is acceptable and what isnt. This was no worse than what you would see in any city centre on a Friday/Saturday night. The only difference being that Stokes can clearly handle himself.
Report PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH September 28, 2017 8:55 AM BST

Sep 28, 2017 -- 8:48AM, Marlas_Magic wrote:

Don't really see what all the fuss is about. It is clear that he didn't initiate it and that one of the other protaganists had a weapon (bottle). It is tough to know what is appropriate force when protecting others but in this case the other guys got what they deserved. I am assuming if he gets charged for ABH that the other person will be in even worse trouble. Yes it is not ideal for England players to be out until this late and get into trouble. Again very tough to draw the line as to what is acceptable and what isnt. This was no worse than what you would see in any city centre on a Friday/Saturday night. The only difference being that Stokes can clearly handle himself.

so when someone antagonises you, you break their jaw !! clearly not self defence as stokes was beating the crap out of everyone !! am amazingly talented 26 year, but to much money and booze, then look what happens Sad

Report DStyle September 28, 2017 8:57 AM BST
does the other guy need to press charges, or can the police take this to court regardless?
Report DStyle September 28, 2017 8:58 AM BST
so when someone antagonises you, you break their jaw !! clearly not self defence as stokes was beating the crap out of everyone !! am amazingly talented 26 year, but to much money and booze, then look what happens

seems like there have always been some anger problems before the fame and money. Surprised the ECB haven't done more to help.
Report PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH September 28, 2017 9:02 AM BST

Sep 28, 2017 -- 8:57AM, DStyle wrote:

does the other guy need to press charges, or can the police take this to court regardless?

Police can press charges irrespective of what the other guy wants to do !!

Report FredRescue September 28, 2017 9:11 AM BST
Next up for Stokes

UFC vs Conor McGregor, "battle of the ginge"
Report pxb September 28, 2017 9:12 AM BST
Doubtless some t0sser trying to show off in front of his mates. But it doesn't look good for a sport that promotes itself as family and women friendly. I'm afraid Stokes will cop a ban.
Report enpassant September 28, 2017 10:34 AM BST
Most everyday fella would be getting some small room thinking time from the courts for this.
Report enpassant September 28, 2017 10:42 AM BST
Surprised by some of the comments considering the video. OK it shows a few seconds of what may have been a longer confrontation. It is clear BS persues these two chaps when they are backing off and away. That is damning for him I believe. He looks like a thug and a bully in the video. The chap he knocks out didn't appear to want to fight at all, then gets flattened = bully coward in my opinion.
Report PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH September 28, 2017 10:43 AM BST

Sep 28, 2017 -- 10:42AM, enpassant wrote:

Surprised by some of the comments considering the video. OK it shows a few seconds of what may have been a longer confrontation. It is clear BS persues these two chaps when they are backing off and away. That is damning for him I believe. He looks like a thug and a bully in the video. The chap he knocks out didn't appear to want to fight at all, then gets flattened = bully coward in my opinion.

totally agree !!

Report peckerdunne September 28, 2017 10:55 AM BST
Yep, he never took a backward step.

It was clinical,close the ring off, take control of the centre and bosh.

We cant tell what truly happened.

If someone lifts a bottle to you and you were the victim at the outset of their abuse,i don't think i would be affording them a second opportunity.

Perhaps he is a thug or perhaps he is just not to be messed with.

I am unable to tell categorically without further evidence.
Report enpassant September 28, 2017 11:21 AM BST

Sep 28, 2017 -- 10:55AM, peckerdunne wrote:

Yep, he never took a backward step.It was clinical,close the ring off, take control of the centre and bosh.We cant tell what truly happened.If someone lifts a bottle to you and you were the victim at the outset of their abuse,i don't think i would be affording them a second opportunity.Perhaps he is a thug or perhaps he is just not to be messed with.I am unable to tell categorically without further evidence.

Fair points but I suspect, if that video is all the video available to the court, certainly most any of us would be going down. Keep in mind that the law suggests, even when you are categorically sinned against, that persuing to inflict injury is very dodgy ground indeed.

Report PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH September 28, 2017 11:49 AM BST
Stokes was released under investigation after he was "arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm".

Members of the ECB board are understood to have spoken on Thursday morning via video conference, and the footage obtained by The Sun newspaper has been reviewed at the highest levels of the organisation.

There could be an announcement later on Thursday on interim measures with respect to Stokes, who was on Wednesday named in England's 16-man Test squad to tour Australia this winter.

If Stokes was to be removed from the squad, the decision would be taken by director of cricket Andrew Strauss in conjunction with his selectors and sent to the ECB board to be ratified.
Report pixie September 28, 2017 1:00 PM BST
No way will they drop him for the Ashes, too important a player. Ponting got in a similar scrape outside a dive of a nightclub in Kings Cross, Sydney but rather amusingly got knocked out cold. I'm pretty sure the ACB didn't drop him then and they actively covered up Mark Waugh and Warne taking bungs from illegal bookies. If I were Stokes' family, I'd go ahead and be booking my flights to Australia.
Report salmon spray September 28, 2017 1:08 PM BST
If Stokes is charged his passport might have to be surrendered.
What do they do then ?
Report spyker September 28, 2017 2:06 PM BST
Will he be allowed in to Aussie - they have rules for those with violent offences but not sure about when under charge?
Report pixie September 28, 2017 2:33 PM BST
I don't think you still need a criminal record to get in these days, Spyker.
Report King of Dubai September 28, 2017 2:37 PM BST

They have video evidence for the CPS so I would expect so. Stokes seems to keep going after the guy which is an aggravating factor also. If the guy has worse injuries like a fractured skull, bleed on the brain etc - then that's a section 20 GBH (which could mean a tidy custodial sentence)

I doubt he'd be convicted, one way or the other, before they fly out so he's technically innocent.
Report King of Dubai September 28, 2017 2:38 PM BST
I hope it's the full 5 years after the money he cost me in the T20 World Cup final.
Report Storm Alert September 28, 2017 2:40 PM BST
Having seen that horror video he should be deported to Australia Laugh.  He is too high profile to behave like that.  However if he was my mate pursuing a thug who had had just a go at me threatening me with a bottle, that is what I would expect a mate to do.  The thug with the bottle deserved what he got.
Report DStyle September 28, 2017 3:21 PM BST
we should all bear in mind that if stokes is retained for the ashes tour, his misdemeanours are clearly viewed as being less serious than whatever trangressions Kevin Pietersen was guilty of.

Like whistling to himself when he got out. Or looking a bit disinterested (sic.)
Report dustybin September 28, 2017 3:37 PM BST
been banned
ffs
Report dustybin September 28, 2017 3:40 PM BST
They should just match him up with Warner for a punch out.
I couldnt careless what he gets upto in his own time, aslong as he aint in jail he should be open to be picked.
Report Cardinal Scott September 28, 2017 3:43 PM BST
I haven't been engrossed in this melodrama until this latest news broke.   May even view the video now which I haven't seen yet.
Report anxious September 28, 2017 3:47 PM BST
Well well who would have thought it , ECB prepared to throw the Ashes
Report Cardinal Scott September 28, 2017 3:53 PM BST
GOSH its appalling just viewed, inc hitting someone when they are on the ground worse than Cantana all those years ago and much much worse than anything Kevin Pietersen ever did.........harsh punsishment deserved, ashes can go to pot as more important to give the thug what he deserves.
Report anxious September 28, 2017 4:11 PM BST
Eric done nothing wrong in 95
Report Injera September 28, 2017 4:14 PM BST
Pieterson far worse imo. Top scored on that tour. Oh the shame. Rightfully sacked.
Report DStyle September 28, 2017 4:38 PM BST
I understand KP will never play for england again, but i can't help laughing at how the current set up almost positively encourages less talented cricketers to go out and slog irresponsibly (sorry - "play their natural game") with no thought for the match situation, across all formats.

as for the ECB announcement, the ban is until further notice is it not? stokes due to be reinterviewed next week i think and I imagine the ECB will want to leave it in the plod's hands before making a decision.
Report Injera September 28, 2017 4:54 PM BST
If the ECB had any balls they wouldn't have included him yesterday, never mind make him VC.

Shouldn't have needed a video to show that he was in a punch up. They already knew he broke his hand at 230am.

Bayliss said yesterday he was happy for Stokes to captain in Brissy if Root was injured. Staggering stuff. Oh and he has 3 demerit points so one away from suspension.
Report EUGENE KRABS September 28, 2017 4:55 PM BST
Proper thug ! Looks like he would have taken on about 10 if needed ! Kim Jong Un glad England are touring Australia and not North Korea.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ben+stokes+fight+video
Report FatherMaguire September 28, 2017 4:55 PM BST
It looks bad, but if it transpires that the two that he hit were acting aggressively towards others (which has been mentioned), then he could be reprieved for defending innocent people - I appreciate this is a bit of a stretch from looking at the footage though
Report Injera September 28, 2017 5:03 PM BST
True FM. Let's hope that was the case.
Report peckerdunne September 28, 2017 5:09 PM BST
No doubt a young filly will appear claiming she had been groped by bottle wielder and Stokesy stepped forward admirably to defend the poor lass...........Wink
Report EUGENE KRABS September 28, 2017 5:13 PM BST
yeah I think she's called Alexa Hales Laugh
Report soba September 28, 2017 6:16 PM BST
I wonder if the footage was sold for a kebab and a few grand, or if they played it right and hit the jackpot ££££££££
Report Crawford September 28, 2017 6:47 PM BST
Stupid stroppy ginger tattoo-ed chav.  Was looking forward to him being taken apart by the Aussie team and the Aussie sun this summer.
Report hong kong fooey September 28, 2017 6:52 PM BST
His next bout could be against Rio[plug]FerdinandLaugh
Report Charlie September 28, 2017 9:11 PM BST
I'd like to know what started it all but not sure it makes that much difference. There's a huge difference between controlled aggression and thuggery. Not sure what happened with the rolling on the floor part but after that Stokes lost the plot. The bloke he knocked down was clearly giving up and didn't want to know any more. Stokes clearly wanted to bully him and show who was the boss. Stokes was wrong and may rightly go to jail.
Report Cardinal Scott September 28, 2017 9:35 PM BST
If it was well known footballer there would be a different tone, far harsher, far more condemnation..........more evidence that Stokes is a Nasty Thug http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4929800/Shocking-footage-shows-Ben-S...
Report DStyle September 28, 2017 9:41 PM BST
Baylis' comment that this has been his greatest challenge as a coach is absurd and highlights what an ineffective coach he must be
Report pxb September 28, 2017 9:45 PM BST
Piers Morgan says he was defending 2 gays. Might be PC enough to get him off.
Report peckerdunne September 28, 2017 10:00 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhFyWEMlD4
Report EUGENE KRABS September 28, 2017 11:23 PM BST
Having watched the footage a few times I think he is going to need a lot of help/luck here to avoid a stretch.
Report Fatslogger September 28, 2017 11:29 PM BST

Sep 28, 2017 -- 9:11PM, Charlie wrote:

I'd like to know what started it all but not sure it makes that much difference. There's a huge difference between controlled aggression and thuggery. Not sure what happened with the rolling on the floor part but after that Stokes lost the plot. The bloke he knocked down was clearly giving up and didn't want to know any more. Stokes clearly wanted to bully him and show who was the boss. Stokes was wrong and may rightly go to jail.

I posted similar earlier, although the forum didn't take it. The bit at the end of the footage where Stokes was following the lad and repeatedly hitting him looks utterly awful. He'd previously been fighting back but had clearly given the whole thing up as a bad job against a very large opponent and I can't see what possible justification there could be for continuing after him. I too think he's highly likely to be convicted and may get a stretch.

Report King of Dubai September 28, 2017 11:39 PM BST
No chance he goes to jail for that, unless he's got a load of priors.

That IPL money should get him some decent representation.
Report EUGENE KRABS September 28, 2017 11:46 PM BST
if you break the law money and fame are irrelevant or should be anyway !
Report hong kong fooey September 29, 2017 8:48 AM BST
EUGENE K. I would hope you are right .But i have more chance of
6 numbers in the lottery  than it being so
Report cooperman September 29, 2017 9:21 AM BST
Community service + anger management course is my bet. England career should be over if he's charged.
Report peckerdunne September 29, 2017 12:30 PM BST
You cant be locking people up for that otherwise Newcastle will be a ghost town come Monday morning.

Was it not also self defence, perhaps taken a bit too far in some peoples eyes, but these people who pick up bottles then feign surrender and as soon as you turn your back they attempt to bottle you.

See the feckers off proper first time.
Report salmon spray September 29, 2017 3:05 PM BST
We have the video which speaks for itself.
We have stories coming out that one guy had a bottle and also that Stokes came gallantly to the rescue of some gays who were being bullied/abused by some homophobes. These stories MAY be true but we can be 99.9% certain that Stokes has access to better PR people than his opponents.
Report Ekbalco September 29, 2017 4:33 PM BST
WALOFS - he should be carried shoulder high around Bristol waving at cheering crowds , kissing babies and waving to the throng.

How are people falling for this trumped up Murdoch hysteria , purely so he can sell more space in his rags for Tampon adverts???

You'd think he'd beaten a blind Nun senseless with a claw hammer rather than sort out a boozed up Student who apparently had been goading all and sundry all evening and was attacking Stokes' party with a bottle.

His PR/Management Company want a kick up the 'Arris and jolted into some action to put his side of the story.
Report salmon spray September 29, 2017 6:23 PM BST
As I said on your thread I strongly suspect you ARE his PR man      Mischief
Report PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH September 29, 2017 6:28 PM BST

Sep 29, 2017 -- 4:33PM, Ekbalco wrote:

WALOFS - he should be carried shoulder high around Bristol waving at cheering crowds , kissing babies and waving to the throng.How are people falling for this trumped up Murdoch hysteria , purely so he can sell more space in his rags for Tampon adverts???You'd think he'd beaten a blind Nun senseless with a claw hammer rather than sort out a boozed up Student who apparently had been goading all and sundry all evening and was attacking Stokes' party with a bottle.His PR/Management Company want a kick up the 'Arris and jolted into some action to put his side of the story.

I sense you condone sticking folk in hospital !! BS has a very serious anger issues that are significantly amplified via drinking, nothing but a thug and should be dealt with accordingly !!

Report Ekbalco September 30, 2017 9:59 AM BST
WALOFS - the toerag deserved it and Stokes was defending a friend that was being attacked by a drunken yob with a bottle.

The game didn't finish until 9pm - after press/showers etc. they wont have got to Clifton until 11pm ish at the earliest - hence why they were still out at 2am.

It's all stuff and nonsense from the loathsome Murdoch machine that can't believe it's luck.

#stokesforprimeminister
Report pixie September 30, 2017 12:12 PM BST
Brilliant stuff, Ekbalco. LaughLaughLaugh
Report pxb September 30, 2017 11:52 PM BST
You could always deport him back to New Zealand.
Report Try My Best October 1, 2017 8:58 AM BST
Showed great leadership skills. Should be promoted to Captain in place of the Warner punchbag Root.
Report Whisperingdeath October 2, 2017 6:36 PM BST
I don't have a problem with a an obnoxious lout getting his cumuppance with a good kicking if he has started a fight, tried to bully someone and used a bottle. I don't mind if another obnoxious lout is the one to deliver the kicking.

With regard to the Stokes incident we cannot really tell what happened to cause the fracas. I think it is a bit of a storm in a tea cup to be honest. I see that stuff all the time. No real harm done in my view. I don't think Stokes went out looking for trouble or was causing trouble. What was a 20 something man doing out drinking at that time? Shocked
Report tomtimtum October 2, 2017 8:57 PM BST
What do Ben Stokes and GrantCKing have in common?

Both bone headed gingers who don't know how to behave and both suffering the ban hammer!
Report peckerdunne October 4, 2017 2:21 PM BST
What has Grant ever done to you Tom?

Seems a bit harsh that.
Report the whizz kids October 4, 2017 4:26 PM BST
Testing
Report Try My Best October 6, 2017 10:29 PM BST
Only the Pomms are that stupid to suspend their best player for a total misdemeanour and risk their chances down under. In oz he would have been given a medal of honour. Pomms have no chance without this lad in the side.
Report The Leopard October 12, 2017 11:21 AM BST
Ben Stokes has lost his sponsorship with sportswear brand New Balance.

The England all-rounder was arrested on 26 September on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm following an incident near a Bristol nightclub.

The deal with the company - who also provide the kit for the England team - is worth a reported £200,000 per year to Stokes.

New Balance said it "does not condone behaviour that does not match our brand culture and values".

The England and Wales Cricket Board has said Stokes, 26, will not travel to Australia on 28 October with the rest of the Ashes squad "at this stage".

On Wednesday, the Test vice-captain apologised to TV personality Katie Price and her son Harvey for a video that appeared to show him imitating a TV appearance made by the disabled youngster.
Report The Leopard October 12, 2017 11:25 AM BST
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/ben-stokes-issues-apology-harvey-11327279
Report The Leopard October 12, 2017 11:26 AM BST
^ Meant for chit chat
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now