Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
curious-cat
15 Feb 19 17:11
| Topic/replies: 33,751 | Blogger: curious-cat's blog
Laugh
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View What is SEPSIS exactly ? 9female...
Show More
Report Deltâ February 15, 2019 6:25 PM GMT
9 is alot
Report bigmo February 15, 2019 6:26 PM GMT
It's feckin nasty as I'm just out of Hospital with it and still feel like carp.
Report curious-cat February 15, 2019 6:42 PM GMT
symptoms ?

chest infection

pneumonia

lots of congestion [phlegm]
Report curious-cat February 15, 2019 6:44 PM GMT
constant coughing to bring up latter

feeling weak
Report bigmo February 15, 2019 6:50 PM GMT
I'm constantly feeling sick (3 weeks now) and unsteady on my feet. Walked a 10 min walk to the local supermarket last week. Felt so bad half way round the shop had to sit down Couldn't walk back home had to get a taxi.

Never felt so ill or week in my life. My Tenerife holiday on March 9th is looking less and less possible.

Never heard of it, to be honest, but it's pretty nasty. All the doctors I've seen have said I've been really, really ill.
Report bigmo February 15, 2019 6:57 PM GMT
This about sums it up.

I‘ve just come out of hospital after sepsis. How should I expect to feel? Answer
Generally, when you get home:

you will be very tired and will need to sleep and rest a lot. You have been seriously ill and your body and mind need time to recover
you will be very weak, may have lost a lot of weight and may find it difficult to walk around. You may also find it tiring talking to people. Begin by building up your activity slowly and rest when you are tired
your skin may be dry, itchy and peel. It may help to put moisturiser on. Your nails may also break easily
you may notice changes to your hair and some may fall out weeks after your illness. It is unlikely it will all fall out; it usually just gets very thin and then starts to grow again
you might find it difficult to eat again. Build up slowly by having small meals and healthy snacks when you feel like it.
it can feel very frustrating once you are home, because all the things you could do easily before, like walking, eating or even breathing, can suddenly feel difficult or frightening. You have to remember how sick you have been and see how much progress you have made.
Report curious-cat February 15, 2019 7:01 PM GMT
I came out of hospital on the 27th Jan. Was in for a week. Have you got help ?

I had all of the above weakness before,during and after.

patient in the next bed put in isolation for norovirus ( diagnosed by me when he complained of diarrhoea and feeling sick )
Report bigmo February 15, 2019 7:09 PM GMT
Been out for two weeks. Saw the doctor yesterday and she wants a blood test. Not seeing the consultant until the end of March.

How long before the sickness stopped?
Report curious-cat February 15, 2019 7:10 PM GMT
30% of people worldwide die once they get it

you may need help from your doctors.
Report Just Checking February 15, 2019 7:11 PM GMT
SEPSIS was an organisation bond fought in one of the Connery era films?
Report curious-cat February 15, 2019 7:12 PM GMT
I've come on in leaps and bounds the last 4 days by ignoring my wife who wants me to walk more.

I want to walk more … just easily tired still
Report bigmo February 15, 2019 7:15 PM GMT
Best of luck fighting it.
Report geoff m February 15, 2019 8:01 PM GMT
showing my naievity here .
Is it a blood infection or virus .
If you dont mind me asking how did you contract the illness? Hope you are feeling better soon .Sounds nasty.
Report bigmo February 15, 2019 8:09 PM GMT
Mine started from a urine infection.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sepsis/causes/
Report SlippyBlue February 15, 2019 8:26 PM GMT
Sorry to read that you and c-c have been in the wars bigmo, I hope you are both back fighting fit very soon chaps.
Report FOYLESWAR February 15, 2019 9:04 PM GMT
think i had sepsis around 4 years ago ,started with a urine infection , in hospital for near on a week drip fed anti biotics ,1st lot i was on didnt work and woke up one night in a pool of sweat as hot as fook and was hallucanating  felt in real trouble , felt drained for weeks after .the hospital never told me what it was just said  an infection . be sure to drink loads of water if yer over 40  lads at least 2 litres a day .
Report bigmo February 16, 2019 2:24 PM GMT
Thanks, slippy.
Report bigH February 16, 2019 9:24 PM GMT
Sepsis is the new name for septicaemia (blood infection or blood poisoning)

If untreated you will die through organ failure

Take it easy Bigmo and hope you make a full recovery
Report breadnbutter February 16, 2019 9:52 PM GMT
Op trying to lose the pain but keep the swelling ,poisoned oak innit
Report Hank Hill February 16, 2019 9:57 PM GMT
Blimey - sounds horrific - best wishes for a great recovery bigmo and to you cc
Report sewter lives again February 16, 2019 10:28 PM GMT
glad to hear you are on the mend boys

looking on the bright side sepsis is leading cause of mortality and you have done really well to recover

early treatment usually with antibiotics is the key
Report STUDYFORM February 17, 2019 12:23 PM GMT
Bigmo, you are lucky, I wish you ongoing and full recovery.

My mum died from sepsis, also known as septic shock, or even blood poisoning. She was just 59, and thanks to a big, and very basic, error at the hospital, and after 7 hours in agony on a trolley in a corridor before being seen - despite going there in an ambulance - they gave her the wrong treatment and she developed peritonitis and then sepsis and died 2 days later.
It is a condition which about as serious as it gets, causing the body to shut down a bit at a time. It is imperative that it is caught early and can cause all manner of issues from limb loss to blindness even if it isn't fatal.
Report Do wah Diddy February 17, 2019 12:39 PM GMT
It's a splinter group of Isis
Report Deltâ February 17, 2019 2:01 PM GMT
CAPITALS PLEASE ^
Report i_agree_with_nick February 17, 2019 5:14 PM GMT
Wishing you chaps a full and speedy recovery. Very sorry to hear about your loss, Study.

You read horror stories about this illness from time to time and Coronation Street recently ran a story on the subject but a thread like this brings it closer to home.

As did the news I received about six months ago regarding a former work colleague of mine who died from sepsis - she was in her mid 50s.
Report BARROWBOY February 17, 2019 5:27 PM GMT
Sorry to hear your story studyform, my mum also died from sepsis,although she was a good deal older the circumstances were very similar.i know that it’s not much consolation but did you sue the hospital?
Report STUDYFORM February 17, 2019 6:10 PM GMT
No, BARROWBOY, we didn't.
It wouldn't have brought her back, would it?
At least that was our thinking at the time.
I WOULD like to get hold of the registrar geezer I spoke to on the phone the day after, who bluntly told me, "I did what I thought was the right thing at the time after looking at the X-Ray, and I'd do it again"
But I wasn't in the right frame of mind to discuss it any further.
Maybe he was pre-empting litigation. Whether he was or not, he was particularly thoughtless and insensitive and if I could revisit the situation now, it might be different.
Report STUDYFORM February 17, 2019 6:12 PM GMT
She went in with bad stomach pain and they messed up. It was an easily remedied problem and they got it wrong.
I'm not the kind of person who does the suing thing. Now, a few years on, I think we should have.
Report BARROWBOY February 17, 2019 6:28 PM GMT
Your story sounds very similar to my mums,she only went in for a routine hip operation.after she died we were all too messed up at the time to consider legal action & my dad who was still alive was particularly against it.looking back all our questions were dismissed out of hand by the hospital staff,you’re right it won’t bring her back but I wish now I’d taken it further.im sure  senior hospital staff rely on people’s grief to avoid litigation in cases like this
Report i_agree_with_nick February 17, 2019 6:44 PM GMT
I firmly believe you have to be "pushy" when dealing with the medical profession.

Let them think you're the type of person who is likely to litigate or complain even if you're not going to go down that route.
Report bigmo February 18, 2019 2:02 PM GMT
Sorry to read about your mum's STUDYFORM and BARROWBOY. It really is a frightening thing to get. I'm glad I was ignorant of it to start with so I saved myself some worry.
Report ribero1 February 18, 2019 2:39 PM GMT
Friend of ours died from this last week,58 but verging on an alcholic and had recovered from liver cancer 3 years ago only to carry on boozing big time,saw him about 2 months ago looking completely sozzled about 10 in the morning,apparently he got some scab/growth on his leg and didn't get it looked at until too late when sepsis developed and his immune system will no doubt have been knackered with the booze.
Report kincsem February 18, 2019 4:57 PM GMT
bigmo
I hope you recover fully.  Sepsis kills.
At the end of 2016 I had a biopsy, went home, felt unwell, thought I had flu.
My legs would not support me and I fell a few times.  Eating was impossible.
Two days later I was confused, found purple/black patches on my legs, heart pounding, breathing very fast.
Decided to walk to the nearby taxi rank but only got 200 yards.  Luckily a passing taxi stopped (I didn't have a phone then).
I was a week in hospital.
Report sewter lives again February 19, 2019 10:01 AM GMT
one of the main problems is that many people don't realize how unwell they actually are until too late

medical staff can "sit on" patients rather than being proactive

hopefully these issues will be significantly helped by today's news of a new test that can diagnose sepsis in a few minutes and can be done in the GPs, A+E or bedside
Report bigmo February 19, 2019 11:10 AM GMT
I was in Hospital for two days before they realised I had it. Was just being treated for very low blood pressure ( I take tablets for high blood pressure) and a urine infection.

Having said that I thought the doctors and nurses were brilliant.
Report sewter lives again February 19, 2019 3:16 PM GMT
at present takes up to 3 days to get test results back for blood cultures
Report sewter lives again February 19, 2019 3:19 PM GMT
bigmo re Drs and nurses-nearly all the people working in the NHS are very good but they don't make good headlines for

the 24/7 media so you don't hear about them.
Report curious-cat February 20, 2019 2:55 PM GMT
Thanks for all the support.

I've just caught up with things since I last posted and am very sorry to read some of your experiences.

England have been terrific so far sewter :)
Report sewter lives again February 20, 2019 11:21 PM GMT
good to hear you're better cat

yes, it's going to be a cracker on Saturday, really looking forward to it
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com