Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Aspro
18 Jan 19 10:14
| Topic/replies: 10,538 | Blogger: Aspro's blog
I keep getting these letters from Consumer Refund Service so today I decided to check them out. I have no credit whatsoever (outside of mortgage) these days, but down the years I've had countless loans and credit cards. I've never been bothered with PPI but with the end date for claims looming I thought, why not look and see.

I checked out the company online and they appear reputable and better still, the government has capped their fees at 20% +VAT (24%). Wouldn't matter to me if it was 50% because I have no intention of going through them all myself so any return would be something.

I'll keep this thread updated with the procedure but as of today I have phoned them, given them my details and a list of companies I have had cards/loans with (that I recall) and am now expecting some paperwork to sign to give them authority to proceed. Average timescale is 3-6 months (I've been told).

Watch this space.
Share |
Show More
Report Aspro January 18, 2019 11:23 AM GMT
Just got off the phone to my sister and she told me she done the same thing 2 years ago and received £1,200 (£900 net). She had the same attitude as me, something for nothing so why not suck it and see.
Report Aspro January 18, 2019 11:26 AM GMT
Deadline for claims is 29th August 2019
Report donny osmond January 18, 2019 11:29 AM GMT
good luck aspro

if you can update this company with your details then you could have downloaded a simple
letter template , filled it in and sent it off to all the companies involved directly, as
no doubt they are doing on your behalf.

there was a brilliant thread on this very forum about 10 years ago where people helped each
other reclaim thousands from banks in bank charges

obviously the clock is ticking on ppi, as claims end soon, and there is still billions of
pounds owed to people who cannot be bothered to even check if they are owed.

i helped one person reclaim 2 lots of ppi, she was too ashamed of having borrowed the money
to want to claim. she had borrowed from one company to pay off another a number of times and
each time ppi was added to her loan. she got £6k off one and £4k off another in refunds, and
would get more if she could have remembered the names of other loan companies.

one of those claims had to be referred to ombudsman so had added bonus of costing the bank an
extra £500 in fees

if anybody wants to reclaim ppi or check if they can, ... without paying fees

theres a lot of info at

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance/

they are brilliant at reclaiming ppi even if they are rubbish at laying first goalscorers in league cup final Laugh
Report Aspro January 18, 2019 11:34 AM GMT
£10k refund... nice work Donny.

As for doing it myself I really can't be bothered and don't mind paying the fee at all. I doubt I'll have many, if any at all, because I usually didn't accept add-ons to any loan/card, but one never knows!
Report Mr Eboue January 18, 2019 11:50 AM GMT
Aspro - there’s no need whatsoever to pay fees. Simply print off the template form from Moneysupermarket and send it off.

I did a couple of years ago and didn’t pay a penny in fees.

Good luck.
Report donny osmond January 18, 2019 11:52 AM GMT
hey aspro , thats ok, its better to do what you are doing than do nothing.

even better to make a thread and many encourage somebody else to have a go.
Report donny osmond January 18, 2019 11:55 AM GMT
indeed aspro, better to pay a fee than do nothing at all.

another person i helped got £200, and was just as delighted ..and mortified
he had not noticed it had been added to his first years mortgage as health insurance !
Report donny osmond January 18, 2019 11:57 AM GMT
sorry ....forum playing up, first post appeared gone, and i tried cancel button

many should have been may in 11.52 post.
Report Aspro January 18, 2019 12:02 PM GMT
That's the point Mr Eboue; I have no idea who I had cards/loans with and it numbers quite a few down the years. A lot of work that may result in nothing. I just told them the companies I believed may have been involved and they are quite prepared to do it all. That works for me.
Report Aspro January 18, 2019 12:30 PM GMT
Some more information that could be of use. Apparently the full cheque is often sent direct to the claimant and then the company invoices for their cut. Please be aware if using one of these companies.
Report invicta January 18, 2019 12:52 PM GMT
Aspro, can I take it that should there be no PPI refund there would be no charges from the company, thanks.
Report Aspro January 18, 2019 12:56 PM GMT
I've double-checked that and yes, definitely no charges. You will either be sent the net amount if they receive any refund or they will invoice you if sent direct. If no claim is forthcoming there will be no fee.
Report Aspro January 18, 2019 12:58 PM GMT
Another point of interest is that I've just phoned Land Registry who had details of the lender I used on another property in the 90's. I'd forgotten the lender but they will have details on secured loans to the property.
Report SlippyBlue January 18, 2019 3:09 PM GMT
2 years ago I applied for a PPI refund, I was fairly sure I had a personal loan with some bank about 25 years ago to pay for home improvements and a conservatory etc so I thought why not. I got £2,700 back and had to pay 30% plus V.A.T. commission but it was a nice return for a 5 minute phone call. I could have done it myself but I couldn't be bothered and I wasn't expecting anything but something in the back of my mind said I did have it but I had no idea who it was with. Paid for a holiday so happy days Happy
Report Aspro January 18, 2019 5:47 PM GMT
Precisely. All it takes is a phone call and then forget about it and if your luck's in, they'll find something, otherwise no harm done.
Report Shrewd_dude January 18, 2019 9:12 PM GMT
Sounds like you're wasting money.

Most banks have a phone number for PPI claims. You phone up and give your details and they can either tell you within 2 minutes whether you had any PPI or will tell you they will send a letter within 30 days confirming this. Any with PPI you send a standard template complaint letter and they will send you a cheque.

You'd be lucky if it took you more than an hour to confirm whether you had paid any PPI and then put the letter in.
Report Deptford January 18, 2019 9:18 PM GMT
Mate, do it yourself, all I did was write to every bank or credit card company I used,never had any account numbers or anything, have had around £8000 so far and 2 more to come
Report Aspro January 19, 2019 9:25 AM GMT
I know you're right guys and yes I'm probably throwing money away but this has been with us for years and I haven't taken any notice at all. Over the years, what with mortgages, loans and credit cards, the total institutions I've used totals around 20 and I simply cannot be bothered to go through that many.

Well done Deptford, good going mate, but if I can just sign the forms and forget about it then £6k net would be a nice sum without any of the hassle. Hopefully others will follow your lead though.
Report FatherMaguire January 19, 2019 9:31 AM GMT
Aspro cancel your agreement with this firm and do it yourself - all you need to do is say you had other means to meet your financial commitments for 6 months (whether sick pay or savings) - you're simply giving away thousands of your own money if you use these firms who offer almost nothing (despite what they might promise)
Report LAMBETH WALK January 19, 2019 1:34 PM GMT
can you still claim for this if you knocked credit cards for 40k ? ... ten years ago and only 1 tried to get me ... but failed Laugh
Report Aspro January 19, 2019 2:35 PM GMT
Statute barred now Lambeth
Report Aspro January 19, 2019 2:37 PM GMT
FM, I don't think I have any PPI anyway, so definitely won't be giving away thousands, but one or two may have slipped through the net. I'm easy either way
Report LAMBETH WALK January 19, 2019 3:45 PM GMT
aspro.. yes i know.. so can i be cheeky and try and claim it .. i had a 20k loan as well as about 6 credit cards maxed out
Report Aspro January 19, 2019 3:51 PM GMT
I'm wondering if they can pay it and then offset it. Would be interested in how it pans out for you
Report Aspro January 19, 2019 3:53 PM GMT
It could also reset the clock to day one! Shocked By claiming you are admitting the debt again... be careful
Report Aspro January 21, 2019 3:14 PM GMT
Having spoke with the FCA this morning I have now decided not to use a company; I haven't signed anything yet so I'm not committed. I will now face this on my own with FCA guidance.

My main reason for doing this is because back in 2007 I had serious health issues, which in turn caused me to default on a few debts, as I was self-employed with no income. I have since negotiated these debts and received reduce settlements on them all, however; there is a possibility that by claiming PPI they could use any award towards the part that was non-paid. The problem is that even though I may get an award, any company that I use could still bill me even if I don't physically receive the payment. I could end up out of pocket!!!

It is too much of a risk to consider so, with time on my hands, I will now go through them all myself, as suggested by many on here.
Report impossible123 January 21, 2019 5:49 PM GMT
DIY the best way forward on this one. The PPI companies are the equivalent of the legal ambulance chasers; keep badgering until you get a result.

I'd a couple of letters for an Asian that had never resided at my address only just last month - the company concerned was MBNA. They finally responded only after an email from me; they are investigating about this fraudulent claimant.
Report Aspro January 21, 2019 6:15 PM GMT
Funny you should mention MBNA as they were one of my defaults (£15k). Within a few days (I kid you not) of cancelling my DDM they phoned me and said "pay £5k and we'll write off the rest"
Report impossible123 January 21, 2019 6:42 PM GMT
£5k is still better than nothing, I guess. Good luck with your claim.
Report topshot January 21, 2019 7:44 PM GMT
I put something on here a couple of years ago about PPI and how much I got back, ran to two or three pages and often wonder if I managed to persuade others to claim.
Report MuayThaiClyde January 21, 2019 9:19 PM GMT
I had some sort of credit card protection insurance a few years back. Didn't have any of the details of the card as it had long since closed other than obviously I knew which company it was with.

First letter I sent, they confirmed I had an account but denied PPI was sold improperly. The beauty of that latter was that it had the account details and the dates, so with the help of wage slips I could easily prove it was unnecessarily added. I sent a second letter but they still claimed nothing untoward had occurred. So I went to the financial ombudsman with my case and within a couple of days the card company had agreed my claim was valid and that they'd stump up.
£620 after tax, hardly life changing but a nice little sum for a couple of letters and not much in the way of work. Absolutely under no circumstances get a claims company involved because all they do is what you can easily do yourself, there are plenty of template letters out there easily found with a quick google search.
Report Deltâ January 21, 2019 9:34 PM GMT
Aspro 21 Jan 19 15:14 
Having spoke with the FCA this morning I have now decided not to use a company; I haven't signed anything yet so I'm not committed. I will now face this on my own with FCA guidance.

My main reason for doing this is because back in 2007 I had serious health issues, which in turn caused me to default on a few debts,

didnt ya PPI cover kick in then?
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 9:13 AM GMT
That's a good point Delta and is one of the reasons this scandal is in place. If I had cover I had no idea of it and am about to find out.
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 12:10 PM GMT
Some interesting information has come out of another chat I had with the FCA this morning, concerning Data Subject Access Request (DSAR)

Apparently some institutions do not go back across the whole time you have been a client with them, some only go back 6 years so you can ask them to apply a DSAR to look back through EVERYTHING from year dot. A useful bit of information even if you've already had a previous claim rejected. This is what the FCA wrote in an email...

~ Data Subject Access Request ~ (DSAR)
If you are claiming for PPI but the firms has no information on their system you may want to have a DSAR processed.
This form has a firm look into the entirety of their archives with the intention to release all information they find on the consumer, Once this is received by the consumer (within 30 days), they will have the opportunity to find any insurances they do not feel familiar with and query these with the firm.
Ask your provider about Data Subject Access Requests.

Food for thought!
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 12:18 PM GMT
For the record I have now phoned CRS and cancelled my claim through them. They were understanding of my predicament and agreed they could bill me if any reward was offset against a previous debt. They've now cancelled my case with no fuss whatsoever so, if you've had previous debt then be aware that using a third party could actually cost you money.
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 1:44 PM GMT
The number required to access details of PPI for Bank of Scotland (Not RBS), Halifax and Lloyds Bank is 0800 151 0293

I will update others when I come to them but suffice to say that Credit Cards and Loans for these companies are now being processed from that one number. The DSAR I have to complete independently on their website.
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 1:52 PM GMT
Total time of above phone call was 45 minutes where they discovered 8 credit cards and a loan down the years (that surprised me) although they cannot find my 1996 Halifax mortgage, which is a bit of a shock considering that's what is on the Land Registry, but is now under investigation. For the BoS cards (2) I was given a reference number and then separate reference numbers for Lloyds cards (6) and another reference for the loan and another for the mortgage, so have a pen and paper handy.
Report impossible123 January 22, 2019 2:39 PM GMT
Good to know you are making good progress. No doubt the more info available the more likely a bigger PPI pot coming your way, I believe.
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 2:41 PM GMT
The number required to access details of PPI for Abbey National, Cahoot and Santander is 0800 171 2171

Again a DSAR needs to be completed online on by post

Note: The lady I spoke with at Santander said their records only go back to 2001 so it makes sense to complete a DSAR if you want to look back further. Some of you existing claimants may still have money to claim!
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 2:42 PM GMT
Let's hope so I123 although I'm still not expecting a lot as I often refused PPI at the outset
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 3:00 PM GMT
The number required to access details of PPI for HSBC (including Midland Bank) is 0345 604 0626
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 3:16 PM GMT
I found the HSBC number useless. A foreign sounding guy did not know what I was talking about and referred me to Which? (lol) - I instead filled out a brief online form for HSBC and was told if I want a DSAR I need to go to a branch with ID, although why I need ID for a blank form is beyond me.
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 3:36 PM GMT
For Co-operative Bank: Phone: +44(0)800 389 5115 for loans and overdraft PPI, +44(0)800 298 3323 for credit card PPI and +44(0)800 028 8288 for mortgage PPI
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 4:05 PM GMT
The Co-op only go back to the early 2000's so you need to complete the online form if you want to go back further. So far I haven't found any PPI Sad
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 4:13 PM GMT
I am currently in the process of a legal wrangle with Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), which I expect to be finalised within weeks. Suffice to say I will not be contacting them until this is resolved but this would include Nat West, Mint and Tesco as they all sit under the RBS umbrella.
Report donny osmond January 22, 2019 4:16 PM GMT
top work aspro, and good luck you find all, if any, owing to you.
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 4:33 PM GMT
For Barclays and Egg phone 0800 282 390

Thanks Donny... not for the want of trying
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 5:19 PM GMT
First Direct: 03456 100 100
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 5:43 PM GMT
MBNA: 0800 917 6592
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 5:45 PM GMT
As mentioned, aside from RBS I think I've covered all of the loans/credit cards attached to my name and will now await the outcome. If I haven't listed your bank please visit the FCA website for further details and good luck

https://www.fca.org.uk/
Report Aspro January 22, 2019 5:50 PM GMT
I hope some of this has been of use to some of you. I will update again when I start to get the responses or if anything else develops. Remember, even if you have previously claimed don't ignore the DSAR as it may still uncover 80's PPI that may have been overlooked. Time is still on our side.
Report impossible123 January 22, 2019 9:47 PM GMT
'Aspero', I'm sure some would be considering a PPI claim too with your useful info.
Report Aspro January 23, 2019 8:53 AM GMT
I'm having a few issues surrounding obtaining a DSAR so I'm going into town this morning to both HSBC & Santander to see if I can get the forms in branch. Watch this space.
Report Aspro January 23, 2019 1:15 PM GMT
Santander clerk was not too sure what I wanted but credit to her, she kept looking and finally completed it with me over the counter. HSBC said I only need to email them but when I phoned yesterday they said it can only be done in branch. If you want your details, that you are legally entitled to ask for at any time, why is it such a struggle to do? It should be a straightforward "I would like all my details please" and it should be done!
Report donny osmond January 23, 2019 2:11 PM GMT
Respond to a data protection request

Under data protection law, anyone can ask if your organisation holds personal information about them - you must respond to their request as soon as possible, and within one month at most.

Requests for personal data should be provided for free in most cases.
Individuals have the right to know:

what information is being used
why it’s being used
where it came from
who can see the information
What you must do
You must provide:

confirmation that you are processing their personal data
a copy of that data
details of how that data is collected, used and disposed of
You should send them a hard copy - such as a printout or photocopy. If you received the request by email, you can send the information by email if the requester agrees.

Make sure they can understand the information - for example explain what any codes mean. Your response should be:

transparent
written in clear, plain language
in an easily accessible forma
t

Before you reply you must:

check the identity of the requester
remove any data which does not relate to them
You could be fined if you do not respond to the request or provide the information requested.

Exemptions
You might not need to give all the personal information you have about someone if requested - for example, if it contains legal advice or relates to another person.

Further information
Find out more about how to respond to requests. For further advice, contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

https://www.gov.uk/respond-data-protection-request
Report donny osmond January 23, 2019 2:14 PM GMT
Find out what data an organisation has about you

Write to an organisation to ask for a copy of the information they hold about you.

If it’s a public organisation, write to their Data Protection Officer (DPO). Their details should be on the organisation’s privacy notice.

If the organisation has no DPO, or you do not know who to write to, address your letter to the company secretary.

How long it should take
The organisation must give you a copy of the data they hold about you as soon as possible, and within 1 month at most.

In certain circumstances, for example particularly complex or multiple requests, the organisation can take a further 2 months to provide data. In this case, they must tell you:

within 1 month of your request
why there’s a delay
When information can be withheld
There are some situations when organisations are allowed to withhold information, for example if the information is about:

the prevention, detection or investigation of a crime
national security or the armed forces
the assessment or collection of tax
judicial or ministerial appointments
An organisation does not have to say why they’re withholding information.

How much it costs
Requests for information are usually free. However, organisations can charge an administrative cost in some circumstances, for example if:

you’re asking for a large amount of information
your request will take a lot of time and effort to process

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/find-out-what-data-an-organisation-has-about-you
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com