Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
conditor
12 Jul 18 21:44
| Topic/replies: 2,566 | Blogger: conditor's blog
Contempt?
Share |
Show More
Report anxious July 12, 2018 9:58 PM BST
38 years ago  , a great band and very sad what happened to him RIP
Report smirnoff2therescue July 12, 2018 10:21 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBt3mJtgJc
Report smirnoff2therescue July 12, 2018 10:23 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz233gJSzK0
Report bungalow bill July 12, 2018 10:30 PM BST
geez, where does the time go?

Still my two favourite albums, Closer and Unknown Pleasures.
Report Facts July 12, 2018 10:39 PM BST
RIP ian - a terrible loss.
Report anxious July 12, 2018 10:41 PM BST
Ironically Ian Curtis i think said the Album Closer was a disaster , for fans the book Unknown PLeasures  Inside Joy Division by Peter Hook is a great read
Report Facts July 12, 2018 10:43 PM BST
It's ok.
Report Shanelee1966 July 13, 2018 9:39 AM BST
Ironically Ian Curtis i think said the Album Closer was a disaster ,

He was struggling quite bad at the time.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 13, 2018 7:32 PM BST
I think the whole band was a bit miffed that neither LP actually sounded like a Joy Division record. They're both very good records (and Unknown Pleasures a truly great one), but they were very good Martin Hannett records, and didn't really convey the intensity and violence of the band's music live. Mind you, none of the live recordings seem to either, for some reason.

I was lucky enough to see one of the band's last performances, at the Lyceum in the Strand in Feb. 1980, and you just knew, right then, you were witnessing something very rare and special. What nailed the song 'Wilderness', for instance, wasn't just the sight and sound of Hooky, legs akimbo, extracting every ounce of filthy, rumbling power his finger could get as it slid the length of the Rickenbacker around his ankles, but also the contrast with the huge, anguished, commanding presence to his right of Curtis, delicately miming the act of wiping a tear from his eye.

You don't get any of that on a record. I think the only song on which Hannett really caught the sound of the band was Dead Souls. Typically they went and stuck the track on the B-side of a French-label single.
Report flushgordon1 July 14, 2018 7:59 AM BST
He was a bit of a feck up.
Report lucienelachance74 July 14, 2018 10:00 AM BST
The Joy Division Peel session 1979 is worth a listen to get more of a feeling how they sounded live. The version of Colony in particular...
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 14, 2018 10:39 AM BST
Good point, lucien. That session got rather forgotten at the time, with the later Hannett versions of the songs soon appearing on vinyl.

It may be the reason I always found the Closer LP and the Love Will Tear Us Apart single a bit disappointing.

Wish I weren't deaf now. I'd love to listen to the version of Twenty-Four Hours on that session again.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now