Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Stow_judge
12 Jul 18 16:41
| Topic/replies: 10,833 | Blogger: Stow_judge's blog
What was your favourite board game, do you still have it & what does it sell for?

Chartbusters, yes & ca £70

Being a hoarder, I still have all mine. Happy
Share |
Show More
Report conditor July 12, 2018 6:29 PM BST
Scrabble , thread over
Report mouse muldoon July 12, 2018 6:38 PM BST
Scrabble.
Report BonnieDday July 12, 2018 7:04 PM BST
L'Attaque, military board game with playing pieces of different ranks, including the spy, the only piece that could capture the opposing commander in chief.
Report conditor July 12, 2018 7:22 PM BST
Let’s play war,not monopoly?
Report STUDYFORM July 12, 2018 7:25 PM BST
Echelon. Pretty rare, but entertaining. It involves reading a few paragraphs from a famous book (on a card) and answering questions on your recall of it.
Much better than I made it sound.

The Really nasty horse racing game, which I got again but haven't played again.
I'm going to now.

The king of board games has to be monopoly. I always found the deviation from the actual rules to have been puzzling. Like "you can't buy anything on the first go round the board" or "you can't trade while in jail", neither of which is right.
My brother and I can have 4 or 5 complete games of Monopoly in an hour, thanks to an entire youth being built on playing the game.

I had many dozens over the years, gave some away, sold a couple at boot sales, lost the bits to some.
Computers have more or less killed board games.
Report conditor July 12, 2018 7:28 PM BST
King of board games monopoly, you fool LaughLaugh,
Report BonnieDday July 12, 2018 7:35 PM BST
STUDY, another rule variation I played was all fines are put in the middle of the board. First player to land on free parking takes the lot. If nothing in the middle, then consolation of £50.
Report mouse muldoon July 12, 2018 7:38 PM BST
Risk, the original version, not the crap updated one.
Report Lee Ho Fooks July 12, 2018 7:38 PM BST
Risk. Daughter loved Payday
Report Lee Ho Fooks July 12, 2018 7:39 PM BST
Shocked
Report Makybe_Diva July 12, 2018 7:54 PM BST
Despite having no interest in horse racing when I was young I did love Totopoly.

I remember Marmaduke Jinks Love
Report sixtwosix July 12, 2018 7:58 PM BST
Bought a old copy of Totepoly for 50p when the kids were little.
Had hours of fun just using the racetrack side.
The game is flawed to say the least , the gambling side has no say whatsoever in winning the game.

My son got hooked on RISK .....after seeing Victor Meldrew playing in an episode. Grin
Report STUDYFORM July 12, 2018 7:59 PM BST

Jul 12, 2018 -- 7:35PM, BonnieDday wrote:

STUDY, another rule variation I played was all fines are put in the middle of the board. First player to land on free parking takes the lot. If nothing in the middle, then consolation of £50.

We used to play that too, Bonnie.
Gives you a bit of hope when things are looking bleak.

One of a very few I've never played is Risk

Report Makybe_Diva July 12, 2018 8:01 PM BST
I'm pretty sure this was the version I had, with the lovely picture on the box.
http://www.vintage-playtime.com/vintage_board_games/prod_2477117-Totopoly-Board-Game.html
Report Makybe_Diva July 12, 2018 8:06 PM BST
I see that's the 1949 edition. I had mine in the 70s. I'm sure that was the one I had.
Report BonnieDday July 12, 2018 8:07 PM BST
STUDY, my older brother always commandeered the ship piece and insisted I had the boot. Could have been worse though, I could have had the car which in our set was missing a wheel.
Report Stow_judge July 12, 2018 8:07 PM BST
Did anyone ever have or play the horse racing game that had a 12" record? It would play the first part of a race commentary and then skip to different grooves of the record for different results. My uncle had it in the 70s.
Report mouse muldoon July 12, 2018 8:09 PM BST
No, I had Brimardon.
Report STUDYFORM July 12, 2018 8:14 PM BST
We still have that record, Stow. Inherited from my ex-Mrs's granddad when he died.
32 potential races.

Bonnie, I always wanted to be the iron. Which, as an "eastender" used to draw howls of derision and P taking when I played Monopoly with schoolmates.
Report sixtwosix July 12, 2018 8:17 PM BST
The version of Totopoly we have has metal horses.
Report BonnieDday July 12, 2018 8:19 PM BST
Great stuff, STUDY.

Another rule variation we used that has just come to mind is that if you were on say Oxford St and threw an 8 to land on GO itself, you got a monkey rather than the usual £200.
Report conditor July 12, 2018 8:21 PM BST
Anyone know who invented the game monopoly?my ignorance
Report BonnieDday July 12, 2018 8:22 PM BST
sixtowsix, we had metal horses too. I recall Leonidas (red?) and Elton (number 12). Elton and its fellow light blues always seemed to run badly, must have been a stone out of the handicap.
Report sixtwosix July 12, 2018 8:29 PM BST
The kids renamed our horses   , we printed sheets out , I entered form figures and odds Laugh

I recall Quixhall Crossett was number 12.
Report SontaranStratagem July 12, 2018 8:32 PM BST
Monopoly
Report Johnny_Mustang July 12, 2018 8:35 PM BST
I’ll see your Totopoly and raise you an Escalado. Anybody else have this? We used to clamp it to a table in the drawing room and it shredded the top of it to buggery.
Report Johnny_Mustang July 12, 2018 8:38 PM BST
And if you haven’t seen Escalado before here’s how this wondrous game looks in action:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHqJRkZ4m0
Report Johnny_Mustang July 12, 2018 8:41 PM BST
Take a look at this too, this guy’s probably the greatest handicapper on earth:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pfSECkhQqp8
Report STUDYFORM July 12, 2018 8:46 PM BST
I never knew that rule adaptation, Bonnie.

The legs broke on a couple of our Escalado horses, so I fixed them with a pin, some cotton wound round them and some copydex.
I was like an escalado vet! Then about 20 years ago, I bought a brand new Escalado. It was nowhere near as good, all plastic and didn't work as well.

Totopoly was a game we only played a couple of times. Flipping the board over felt like a pain and hard work for no real reason.
Report Johnny_Mustang July 12, 2018 8:47 PM BST
‘I was like an escalado vet!’

Laugh
Report Lee Ho Fooks July 12, 2018 8:53 PM BST
Betfair forum - all life is here Laugh
Report Johnny The Guesser July 12, 2018 9:23 PM BST
Many happy hours playing Wembley and Escape from Colditz Happy
Report themightymac July 12, 2018 10:30 PM BST
I have Escalado, Monopoly, Frustration, Ker Plunk and Cash n Guns all mint and boxed.
Report casemoney July 12, 2018 10:50 PM BST
Escalado was Great , I also Like a Football game by waddingtons where a tiddly wink was used as a Ball was a flat Cardboard pitch and a Goal at either end Grin
Report donny osmond July 12, 2018 10:59 PM BST
howzat, sort of cricket
Report donny osmond July 12, 2018 10:59 PM BST
rolling hexagonal dice
Report Torquemada July 13, 2018 12:08 AM BST
Without a shadow of a doubt the king of all board games is CHESS.
Report themightymac July 13, 2018 12:12 AM BST
Internet has killed off board games, prize crosswords, newspapers and a lot more.
Report akabula July 13, 2018 12:51 AM BST
Monopoly, Scrabble and Draughts the only games I remember playing.
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 13, 2018 9:12 AM BST
Scrabble is the only one that interests me, but the problem is getting someone to play with!

I have the best ever board, with the raised grid surrounds to the letters, and the spinny 'what-not' thingy underneath.

The tiles are of good weight, and so are the tile holders, and with pegs for scoring.

My son in his wisdom (or lack of it) decided to get me the latest version for Christmas '16, because the box was tatty, and the
bag for the tiles was stapled together.

I repaired the box, after the last time out, and took out the staples from the bag, and glued it instead.

The new one is crap!

The board itself is a good weight, and looks classy with the 'Burr Walnut' style frame, but that's all the good news!

The colours are too weak, the pegs on each corner for the tiles are ridiculous, the rotating arrangement of a wheel at each corner is stupid,
the tiles are difficult to handle, as they are so lightweight, and similarly so are the holders which now don't have pegs for scoring!

Why the hell have they complicated it, but 'penny pinched' to save perhaps 5p of plastic?

Sorry for the rant!
Report SlippyBlue July 13, 2018 7:08 PM BST
I play scrabble quite often with friends and family, I'm not the worst player going but my niece who is staying with me while her place is being refurbished is nigh on unbeatable and she takes great delight in putting her Uncle Slippy to the sword on a frequent basis!
Report tobermory July 14, 2018 3:33 AM BST

Jul 12, 2018 -- 7:04PM, BonnieDday wrote:

L'Attaque, military board game with playing pieces of different ranks, including the spy, the only piece that could capture the opposing commander in chief.

Better known as Stratego. Great game that I play online.

Report tobermory July 14, 2018 3:42 AM BST

Jul 13, 2018 -- 12:12AM, themightymac wrote:

Internet has killed off board games, prize crosswords, newspapers and a lot more.

But all these board games can played on the internet. Actually I would guess there have probably been more games of chess played since the year 2000 than in the 1000 years before. Stratego, which i mentioned playing online, I have not played on an actual board since the 1980s. That is the problem if you love a board game like chess etc, if people you know aren't interested you can't play yourself. Once you can play a game online the standard will likely be far higher and it would seem a bit pointless to play a friend or relative who is not especially interested. So yeah I guess playing with actual board has been killed somewhat. Newspapers haven't been killed off though have they ? Still seem to be racks of all the ones I remember in shops. Though I must admit I stopped buying them about 10 years ago largely due to time spent online. I used to buy the Sunday Times and spend most of the day going through the 4 or 5 sections that interested me. By 2008 I was finding I had read very little of it by the time the following weekend came round.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now