Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Steve Voltage
09 Jul 18 20:37
| Topic/replies: 3,038 | Blogger: Steve Voltage's blog
Anyone on here a member of a gym? What are the costs? Which exercises do you normally do?
Share |
Show More
Report geoff m July 9, 2018 8:46 PM BST
4 close to me ranging from £9.99 off peak basic gym to £30 with gym swimming pool/squash/badminton etc.

I tend to use static bike/rowing machine /treadmill for cardio  free weights for upper body excercises and leg press.
All depends what you want to achieve i aint a body builder.
Report lovegod July 10, 2018 7:35 AM BST
I pay £32.95 at my local gym, that's with a discount for being over 60.

Use the rowing machines and treadmills for cardio and a few weight machines i.e leg press, chest press, pull down.

Usually go every weekday early morning for about an hour or so, it helps with my type 2 diabetes and at least its doing something.

There's a David Lloyd gym locally but think that's over £100 a month now, it includes racquet sports but if you're not into that then a waste of money.
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 10, 2018 10:43 AM BST
I joined JJB before it was officially open.

I went pretty much every day and usually for a one and a half hour session

Sometimes, in ideal weather, I went off on the bike instead.

It was a superb gym with brilliant 'young image' decor, and with a fantastic pool, 2 Jacuzzis and a steam room.

I think I paid £25.00 initially but I took time out, for two years, because of other priorities.

Then David Whelan took it over, and trashed the image, with the coffee/snack area in the style of Debenhams.

The high quality blue and turquoise upholstery was replaced with cheap, unbacked black vinyl with the hideous red, white and black namestyle,
that he probably 'designed' himself, on the back of a **** packet!

When I rejoined, the subs were up to £27.50 which was still ok but, within just a few weeks, the black upholstery was splitting,
broken equipment wasn't replaced and the new crappy bikes weren't a patch on the old ones, and the TVs didn't work at all,
which was a bit of a barsteward as it was the GB Olympics at the time!

Also the TVs were replaced, but we lost the ones in front of the cross trainers.

I haven't been near the place for several years, but guessing the subs will be over £30.00 now.

I bought myself a spin bike and a 'Roman Chair' and free weights instead.
Report cooperman July 10, 2018 1:46 PM BST
After reading the report about all the bacteria, diseases etc. that are apparently lurking in most gyms I wouldn't go near one. Ugh!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3528955/How-going-gym-BAD-health-Free-weights-362-TIMES-bacteria-toilet-seat.html
Report TheBaron July 10, 2018 5:25 PM BST
I walk past the gym to the park and use the new outdoor stuff.  On a nice sunny day you see them sitting in traffic to pay for the privilege of being indoors on a tread mill staring at the sun outside. Funny old world.
Report DenzilPenberthy July 10, 2018 5:31 PM BST

Jul 10, 2018 -- 1:46PM, cooperman wrote:

After reading the report about all the bacteria, diseases etc. that are apparently lurking in most gyms I wouldn't go near one. Ugh!http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3528955/How-going-gym-BAD-health-Free-weights-362-TIMES-bacteria-toilet-seat.html

There's definitely something in this my brother has a personal training business alongside his main job so he's at a gym every day with clients and is always under the weather sniffing on with allergies and one thing or another despite being a clean liver his whole life and extremely health conscious.

Report TINnotaTON July 10, 2018 5:52 PM BST
I Was always seemingly the same as your brother denzil, nothing worse than handling sweaty machine handles and dumbells. iv'e always trained in old school hardcore gym's in the past, a germs paradise, luckily when i moved house 4 years ago, the premises had a really large garage that i transformed into my own gym, carpets down, everything, never had a cough, cold or felt off since.
Report SontaranStratagem July 10, 2018 6:07 PM BST
Never understood the use of a gym, paying monthly fees for things you can do for nothing in the great outdoors

Like the best example is for runners

"running up and down steep hills improves conditioning and gears, a treadmill you are running at one pace and not really conditioning the body for proper outdoor running."
Report DenzilPenberthy July 10, 2018 6:13 PM BST

Jul 10, 2018 -- 5:52PM, TINnotaTON wrote:

I Was always seemingly the same as your brother denzil, nothing worse than handling sweaty machine handles and dumbells. iv'e always trained in old school hardcore gym's in the past, a germs paradise, luckily when i moved house 4 years ago, the premises had a really large garage that i transformed into my own gym, carpets down, everything, never had a cough, cold or felt off since.

Sounds the business I exercise in my garage too completely gutted it earlier in the year still on concrete floors but have the necessary protection for floor work,plus can't be beaten for convenience too many crowded gyms nowadays.

Report terry mccann July 10, 2018 6:16 PM BST
£16 per month. Normal 20 mins on bike,then my usual weights and finish with 20 sit ups,anymore then its the old cramps,takes about 45 mins.
Report TINnotaTON July 10, 2018 6:22 PM BST
Yeah pretty much denzil, out the back door and your in, 45 minute killer session and done, i put the carpet down for warmth and a bit of cushioning, just have a small gas heater in for the really cold winter days, but the place is more or less warm enough anyway
Report Johnny_Mustang July 10, 2018 8:02 PM BST
Agree with some other posters on here and run 5k daily.
Report lovegod July 11, 2018 6:40 AM BST
But at the end of the week you're 35k from home.
Report Johnny_Mustang July 11, 2018 7:55 AM BST
I'll be back in a fortnight though.
Report DenzilPenberthy July 11, 2018 2:38 PM BST
Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now