Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ericster
09 Jul 18 14:56
| Topic/replies: 1,681 | Blogger: ericster's blog
I'm one and I could use some help.

I'm in my 60s, probably work harder and longer hours than I should be doing at my age and my legs, jesus! My legs. Giving me h*ll doesn't come close.

So, okay! Short of packing in work, starting up the bf ericster benevolent fund, or necking all sorts of supplements, what can an old geaser like me do to ease my aches and pains?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Old fogies.......
Show More
Report Vubiant July 9, 2018 3:01 PM BST
X R sighs.
War King.
Keep the blood circulation moving at all costs -especially when you're not a young fogey anymore.Grin
Report ericster July 9, 2018 3:46 PM BST
I do a LOT of "war king ". Every day and it's killing me. It is ALL part of the ageing process I know that. Hardening of the tendons etc.
Report kenny mann July 9, 2018 3:51 PM BST
My knees are fukced and I've got COPD but somehow I can do a mile and a third in 30 mins.
Report kenny mann July 9, 2018 3:52 PM BST
sorry, that's a mile and TWO thirds.
Report Barry Conway July 9, 2018 3:52 PM BST
Have you tried Kratom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitragyna_speciosa
Report ericster July 9, 2018 4:02 PM BST

Jul 9, 2018 -- 9:52AM, Barry Conway wrote:

Have you tried Kratom?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitragyna_speciosa

WTF is that?

Report ericster July 9, 2018 4:04 PM BST
kenny,
I don't know how long my walk to and from work is but it takes around 25 mins and it involves a long seriously steep hill. I just old I suppose.
Report Lee Ho Fooks July 9, 2018 4:59 PM BST
Shouldn't be working at your age. Are you married? If so get the wife to get more hours, if not get a young model (someone else on this thread might be able to give you a few pointers on the latter) - hth
Report ericster July 9, 2018 5:08 PM BST
Young model? At my age? Get me dead and done with. Is THAT it?
No I shouldn't be working and yes I'm married.
I shall keep going for as long as I can then, when the old bod calls it a day, If I still live and breathe, well.......... We shall see eh?
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 9, 2018 6:26 PM BST
I never, ever, heard anyone in their sixties refer to themselves as "old fogies"!

Peter Stringfellow bowed out, just a few weeks ago at age of 74, and I don't think he would have considered himself as such!
Report treetop July 9, 2018 6:37 PM BST
Get out and do some exercise,any exercise and cut down on the junk food. Go to the gymn,build up slowly and feel the adrenalin rush it gives you. Go and watch live bands in pubs,quiz nights and make friends to keep your mind occupied.
Report TheBaron July 9, 2018 6:41 PM BST
People age at different rates and if you've had a hard physical job all you life it starts to take its toll.  Poncing around in a night club is a different matter.

Anyway there is little you can do about it other than stop doing what is causing the problem. No job is worth risking your health for.
Report Lee Ho Fooks July 9, 2018 6:48 PM BST
op may just have been being self-deprecatory
Report STUDYFORM July 9, 2018 6:53 PM BST
Just out of interest.
If you're on Statins. They can feck the leg muscles up - it's a relatively common side effect.
Stopping or changing them can make the legs better in days.
Report topshot July 9, 2018 7:39 PM BST
Thanks for that post Study, sometimes it takes me three or for attempts to get a couple of hundred yards. Feels like shin splints right down the front of my calfs, once I finally get started I can walk 7or 8 miles at a good pace,then my thighs are really sore the next day. Never used to happen but have been on statins for a few years. Might need a rethink or certainly more investigation.
Report topshot July 9, 2018 7:41 PM BST
My cholesterol is now perfect as of two months ago which delighted me, but when I asked the doc if I can come off the simvastin he gave me a very stern No.
Report terry mccann July 9, 2018 7:53 PM BST
money maker for the DocWhoops
Report Injera July 9, 2018 7:53 PM BST
Excess weight obviously places greast strain on our legs and feet.

Swimming a great alternative to walking. If you can do in the sea even better. Sea swimming creates a greater high for us emotionally which then helps physically. More buoyancy too.
Report casemoney July 9, 2018 11:20 PM BST
Codgers !
Report lfc1971 July 9, 2018 11:22 PM BST
cod liver oil
Report ericster July 10, 2018 4:55 PM BST
I don't have time for gym, really, there aren't enough hours in a week

Don't "DO" pubs,friends,quizzes etc.

My job IS ALL. There IS nothing else.

Lee Ho, they say that you're as old as you feel. I feel decrepit at times I really do. My " down-time " is Zombie-like.

I'm not/never have been over-weight.

Have been tested for cholesterol. It is a family problem but not for me.

I DO take cod liver oil and glucosamine sulphate.

I can't stop the ageing process, that's probably all that's causing the problem. Combined with  working too hard but we all got bills.

I think that just about covers it.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated.
Report ericster July 10, 2018 5:02 PM BST
If I could go to bed on a Saturday morning and sleep soundly until Monday morning, that would be my idea of heaven. I wouldn't be missing anything.
Report Jack Hacksaw July 10, 2018 5:05 PM BST
Big game Sunday 4.00pm Mischief

Seriously, I wish I had an answer.  I am sure you have considered a lighter job.
Report ericster July 10, 2018 5:21 PM BST
AM considering a lighter job Jack but age my age?
Sweeping streets? Cleaning toilets? I don't think so mate.
Probably the only time I slow down will be when I stop breathing.
Yeah, looking forward to the final.
I hope we're in it and don't embarrass ourselves too much.
Report Jack Hacksaw July 10, 2018 5:32 PM BST
So much depends on what level of income you need, what you do now, what you might be able to do etc...some employers specifically target older staff..

I guess you do hard, physical work....

With a bit more info, the Chit Chat Recruitment Agency may be able to make suggestions...
Report ericster July 10, 2018 5:35 PM BST
Lol Jack.
The CCRA eh?

I suppose I'm just trying to hang on to my current income. Could be a long time retired. God I hope not. And I don't think I could stand the indignity of being found something easier. Will have to be clean break I think when it happens.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now