Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Lady Faye Verrit
09 Jul 18 13:39
| Topic/replies: 1,432 | Blogger: Lady Faye Verrit's blog
My baskets are almost dead!

They were heavily planted and cost £11 more than previous years....

They have been fed and watered, as normal, but are in a shocking state...

Most at the top and trailing are finished..

No sign of disease, and I'm starting to think they have been murdered!

Cry
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View My baskets are almost dead!
Show More
Report moisok July 9, 2018 1:46 PM BST
all part of the moral decline in our country

they only water the weeds nowadays
Report terry mccann July 9, 2018 2:11 PM BST
Erm Chemtrails all over it/themSad
Report Percy Filth July 9, 2018 2:21 PM BST
I blame that there G5
Report terry mccann July 9, 2018 2:27 PM BST
very soon percy very soon!Devil
Report moisok July 9, 2018 2:30 PM BST
Lets hoist a ballon!!!
Report moisok July 9, 2018 2:31 PM BST
BalloOn
Report moisok July 9, 2018 2:34 PM BST
shortly to be spelt in the first way  when we are in bed with our gallic friends and Germanic motherland
Report geoff m July 9, 2018 3:48 PM BST
LFV sorry to hear .Probably lack of watering has caused the problem.With this hot dry weather and slightest breeze i have been watering my baskets 3 times a day once theyve dried any water poured from top invariably runs off and not soak into the soil. Would suggest try sitting them  in water to soak from the bottom overnight to ensure all compost gets a thourough soaking.
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 9, 2018 4:30 PM BST
Thanks Geoff but I have baskets every year, and water liberally, twice a day in warm and breezy weather,
and they are fed every other day.

It's so disappointing, as too late to replant them now!

I'll persevere with what's left, and glad I don't have seven, like at my previous place!
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 9, 2018 4:44 PM BST
I guess more than twice should have been the routine!

I think the fact that the water runs through so quickly, is testament to how dry they became!
Report Make my hay July 9, 2018 5:04 PM BST
Sorry to hear about your plants, maybe you or one of your neighbours has recently had a smart meter fitted.
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 9, 2018 6:32 PM BST
Thanks, but too deep for me!!
Report Reynard July 9, 2018 6:59 PM BST
I remember the real Lady Faye Veritt telling me a similar tale a number of years ago during a similarly dry spell Cool
Report SlippyBlue July 9, 2018 7:17 PM BST
My baskets are looking a bit sorry for themselves as well, I've no idea what sort of plants they are but they have all seen better days that's for sure.
Report geoff m July 9, 2018 8:51 PM BST
Well mine are absolutely fabulous ,despite having trouble wit scariad fly which the larvae is a right fecking pain in the ass root nibbling.
Report Crisp77 July 9, 2018 8:52 PM BST
There must be some way to perk up a wilting pansy
Report Facts July 9, 2018 9:08 PM BST
Baskets need to be watered twice a day in this weather- early morning and dusk.
Report Just Checking July 9, 2018 9:29 PM BST
This weather has been brutal on plants, I'm amazed myself how quickly they are drying out with a good water, and some grassy areas are turning into yellow dust bowls.
Report casemoney July 9, 2018 11:18 PM BST
My Potted Plants plus the Rose bush out the front are Blooming Lovely Grin
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 10, 2018 10:10 AM BST
This is last year....

Waiting for the mods with this year...

Short of putting them in the bath, I've nothing big enough!
Report Dr Crippen July 10, 2018 10:21 AM BST
Anyone noticed the difference in the plants after when it rains against using tap water?

I put it down to the chorine in the water, I was told to leave tap water in a barrel before using it to allow the chorine to gas off.
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 10, 2018 11:36 AM BST
Best thing is to get a rainwater butt...
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 10, 2018 11:36 AM BST
Best thing is to get a rainwater butt...
Report terry mccann July 10, 2018 1:35 PM BST
do you see many bees in your garden lady faye?
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 10, 2018 1:50 PM BST
They are actually a very rare sight this year.

They seem to, for some reason, like to go in the garage!

Talking of bugs generally, I haven't seen any aphids, and nor have I seen any Ladybirds or wasps!
Report terry mccann July 10, 2018 1:57 PM BST
Well sad to say that's the Chemtrails, same hereCry
Report Just Checking July 10, 2018 3:07 PM BST
Go seek mental help and stop coming onto threads with normal people to spout your lunatic tin foil hat madness. Thank you.
Report Mick Sturbs July 10, 2018 4:01 PM BST
Apparently if you put ice cubes in the baskets these thaw slowly and give the plants a steady supply of water rather than it running through the compost
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 10, 2018 4:36 PM BST
That's a crap strategy!

They wouldn't last fifteen minutes in the current temperatures, and considering you would need the equivelant of at least half a gallon,
which would be a hell of a pile of ice, I don't think summer plants would be too happy about being plunged into winter!

Or, are you saying you stand there all day, putting a handfull of cubes on several baskets, horse feeder style wall mounted 'troughs' and repeat, repeat, repeat?

Better get down to the supermarket, and get a boot full of bags of ice, at considerable expense, and repeat, repeat, repeat ad infinitum....Laugh
Report trilby22 July 10, 2018 4:48 PM BST
I'd put them in the bath overnight.
Report trilby22 July 10, 2018 4:51 PM BST
Actually, put a layer of polythene in the base of the basket to prevent water run-off.
Report trilby22 July 10, 2018 4:52 PM BST
^ and feed them some nutrients.  They've probably had a load leached away.  Imo.
Report trilby22 July 10, 2018 4:58 PM BST

Jul 10, 2018 -- 4:21AM, Dr Crippen wrote:

Anyone noticed the difference in the plants after when it rains against using tap water?I put it down to the chorine in the water, I was told to leave tap water in a barrel before using it to allow the chorine to gas off.

water here comes from a spring, otherwise I'd be collecting rainwater for my plants.  Easy done, even without a butt.

Report posy July 10, 2018 5:21 PM BST
Seriously just pee in the baskets;the plants will love it as it contains all the nutrients they need...hope this helps.
Report terry mccann July 10, 2018 5:28 PM BST
Thanks for the advice NC,btw id like to be wrong but I think not
Report terry mccann July 10, 2018 5:31 PM BST
No don't you ever tell me where I can post and where I cant A-HOLE!
Report terry mccann July 10, 2018 5:44 PM BST
I"ve read tweets from people around the world,they say the same, flowers,plants and trees all sick and dying,Bees very few now alone with other insects, and the subject they are discussing is CHEMTRAILS. So don't let numpties like  not checking fool you,WAKE UP PEOPLE.
Report Just Checking July 10, 2018 6:18 PM BST
You get water absorbent pellet things in garden centres, and they seem to work just don't overdo them. They can be surprisingly absorbent and you can end up with sort of gooey lumps that look like wallpaper post. But in the right amount they take in water than slowly release it. It presume roots may penetrate them as wel.
Report Just Checking July 10, 2018 6:18 PM BST
wallpaper PASTE.
Report terry mccann July 10, 2018 6:25 PM BST
Sorry for posting NC but Lady F was saying the same things about the plants so hundreds ive already read and when asked about the Bees she also said the same thing as all the others,so I jumped in and mention,sorry gonna say it again CHEMTRAILS,now its of course monumental b0llocks to join the dots and discover the same thing is happening world wide so I would very,very much like you to explain whats killing the plants and bees as millions of us are all nutters and you can solve the problem here and now
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 10, 2018 6:28 PM BST
My incredible wife liked all things blue...the sky, her cars, carpet etc.

Just strolling around yet another garden centre and here was a Hydrangea. Not in bloom but with a photo of it's blueness.

The following year it didn't flower, but next year it did, and it was pink!

Then, following advice, I relieved myself on it, and the following year it was all in it's beautiful blueness.

Tragically she didn't get to see it!   Sad
Report Escapee July 10, 2018 10:58 PM BST
Hydrangea colour (pink, white or blue) is dependent on the acidity/alkalinity (ph) of the soil.

Nature invented litmus paper.
Report blackbarn July 11, 2018 12:30 AM BST
Brilliant year for butterflies and bumbles here in mid sussex. The lavender is thick with gatekeepers and other browns. We have had a ridiculous number of marbled whites (we usually get around one a week) and there are still Brimstones (male and female) flitting around.
Report Smar Tarse July 11, 2018 8:33 AM BST
My baskets are pretty good this year. I use a perforated poly liner in the baskets. When i make them up i add a sprinkle of pelleted chicken manure at the very bottom, this is the nitrogen rich muck the plants need to put on growth at the beginning, then i make the rest with general purpose compost mixed with sharp sand and perlite.

I don't water them every day if they don't need it, that can be as bad as not watering them enough. Stick your fingers in there and see if they need watering IMHO.

When the bud are showing i start the "bloom" feed once a week. This year i have made my own Comfrey concentrate.

Also to my surprise i have large size Bees living in the roof of my man cave Love  When i first noticed i thought i had a fan running somewhere, i thought i had left my mig welder running in the corner doh Blush . The "whirring" noise being amplified by the tin roof is quite a sound.
Report Deltâ July 11, 2018 9:04 AM BST
comfrey concentrate stinks ..
Report Smar Tarse July 11, 2018 9:56 AM BST
If you add water to the process it can get a bit stinky. I cut it right down to the ground and put it in a tub as-is, don't chop it or crush it, when it is rotting this way it smells sweet to me Whoops
Report terry mccann July 11, 2018 10:27 AM BST
Well that's good news Blackbarn then , the Bees have all left the West Sussex coast to be with you
Report terry mccann July 11, 2018 1:30 PM BST
Btw still waiting for Not Checking thoughts on my question to him,or will he also do a runner-----again!
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 12, 2018 12:31 PM BST

Not quite as good as last year....Cry
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 12, 2018 12:32 PM BST
Report Lady Faye Verrit July 13, 2018 8:21 AM BST
Try again....

Report Lady Faye Verrit July 15, 2018 6:50 PM BST
RIP...basket..

It put up a brave fight, but is going to the great compost heap in the sky..

It's buddy is struggling on but, remember...life without a basket is still a basket...
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now