Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
dunlaying
05 Jul 18 11:13
| Topic/replies: 4,492 | Blogger: dunlaying's blog
If a tv has HDMI 2 will old HDMI cables work at all with it?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View HDMI help ,please?
Show More
Report The Leopard July 5, 2018 11:52 AM BST
Will I need a new cable?
NO! Well, probably not. Here is the exact quote from HDMI.org: "Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth." Emphasis mine. Here's another direct quote: "HDMI 2.0, which is backwards-compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI specifications..."

Version 2.0 (like 1.4 before it) is entirely a hardware change. It is not a cable change. You can expect cable manufacturers to proclaim that you need expensive new "Version 2.0 cables" but this is untrue. Your current High Speed cables should work just fine.
Report Just Checking July 5, 2018 12:30 PM BST
Suck it and see. Probably ok. It works stably or it won't, if you're getting a clear solid picture then that's as good as it gets, expensive digital cables are a waste of money.
Report trilby22 July 5, 2018 12:32 PM BST
My telly's about ten years old and has three HDMI ports.  I always figured them to be for one, two or three pieces of equipment, ie if port 1 is being used and you need another, use port 2.

I've not tried port 2 with port 1 empty but that's not a problem.
Report trilby22 July 5, 2018 12:34 PM BST
Bought a three metre HDMI laptop to TV extension from eBay for less than a five spot a few years ago.
Report Just Checking July 5, 2018 12:37 PM BST
It's easy to need 3 ports. Fire stick in one, blue ray player in another, satellite or game console or laptop in another and you're already full.
Report dunlaying July 5, 2018 2:26 PM BST
Thank you gentlemen .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now