Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Leopard
02 Jul 18 17:25
| Topic/replies: 39,915 | Blogger: The Leopard's blog
Must have found something to eat in caves !
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View 12 boys and coach found alive in...
Show More
Report Ramruma July 3, 2018 11:37 AM BST
If they are worried about panic then rather than teaching the kids to dive, it might be easier and quicker to knock them out and transport them one at a time unconscious in an oxygenated "coffin".
Report Crisp77 July 3, 2018 11:42 AM BST
12 young boys and a football coach fumbling around in the dark looking for a shaft. Sounds like something from the 70's.
Report Just Checking July 3, 2018 12:20 PM BST
Stalagmites for goalposts, mmm, isn't it Wink
Report cooperman July 4, 2018 11:22 AM BST
Muscles have degenerated apparently through lack of food and not moving around. Could be days getting them fit enough to attempt anything.
Report Jack Hacksaw July 6, 2018 6:38 AM BST
Bloody hell - what an idea.

We need Ramruma on the next flight to Bangkok, controlling operations.
Report Jack Hacksaw July 6, 2018 6:38 AM BST
Bloody hell - what an idea.

We need Ramruma on the next flight to Bangkok, controlling operations.
Report dustybin July 6, 2018 8:15 AM BST
What a turn of events Cry
Ex navy diver drowns taking them oxygen overnight Shocked

I wonder if they will even tell them inside what happened?
Report morpteh mackem July 6, 2018 8:29 AM BST
this is horrific, even heard on bbc that  to get them out some of them need to be taught to swim.
Report TheBaron July 6, 2018 9:07 AM BST
International Rescue would get them out in 45 minutes.  I suggest Virgil in Thunderbird 2 pod 5 carrying the mole.
Report lfc1971 July 6, 2018 9:12 AM BST
They are going to have to ask another country for help , why can’t they ask the British military and engineers what can be done ?
Report The Leopard July 6, 2018 9:15 AM BST
The coach has caused all this by taking them into a cave system where he must have known there was a possibility of it flooding.

Should be charged with manslaughter now the diver has died !
Report morpteh mackem July 6, 2018 9:19 AM BST
think that south african bloke with bizarre name has offered help
Report lfc1971 July 6, 2018 9:20 AM BST
Remember the Russian submarine case a few years ago when the Russians refused help from America and others and everyone on board died
The Russians didn’t even tell their own people
Report dustybin July 6, 2018 9:36 AM BST
The whole thing sounds very 'broke back mountain' to me
Why did the guy take a junior football team into a secluded area?
Report trilby22 July 6, 2018 9:53 AM BST
Don't be silly, Leo.  Dusty too, for that matter Angry

Very sad with the diver and let's hope they get the water levels low enough before Sunday's predicted rains.
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 9:55 AM BST

Jul 6, 2018 -- 9:12AM, lfc1971 wrote:

They are going to have to ask another country for help , why can’t they ask the British military and engineers what can be done ?

I don't know what drug you and the others here are on, but the british divers who discovered these kids weren't diving around on vacation and magically discovered the boys. They were part of a search team that comprised of people from over 30 nations, including military personnel. These divers were actually sent on the request of Thai authorities, which is exactly you are asking them to do here. Maybe your feeble brain thinks the Thai govt is deliberately blocking foreign aid but not everyone is as bad as the russians, you should stick to your russophobia in matters related to russia, please don't extend it to other countries. I am sure they have asked outsiders for help in rescue, just like they asked for help in the search.

It is quite possible these kids went in knowing the weather was clear. That is the thing with flash floods. THey can happen in a place where it isn't even raining. You don't see the flood coming. It could have been raining a couple of kms away and since monsoon rains just pour down, it doesn't take long for the water to build up and go down the flood path, which is where it causes the damage, not necessarily at the place it rained. The coach made a mistake of course, the Thais have already confirmed he will be prosecuted, if rescued. But it is wrong to think he lead them to a 'secluded area'. It only became a secluded area becasue their return path was blocked by the flood.

Report lfc1971 July 6, 2018 9:56 AM BST
detraveller was it a Thai navy seal who died ?
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 9:56 AM BST
I think so
Report lfc1971 July 6, 2018 9:58 AM BST
Was he a volunteer , and is the area crawling with volunteers
It was british divers who found the boys , they are the best in the world
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 9:58 AM BST
Yes, apparently an ex military diver.
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 10:00 AM BST

Jul 6, 2018 -- 9:58AM, lfc1971 wrote:

Was he a volunteer , and is the area crawling with volunteers It was british divers who found the boys , they are the best in the world

Local Volunteers have been specifically told to stay away by the Thai authorities.

Report lfc1971 July 6, 2018 10:00 AM BST
So it’s very simple , the British military should be there , or American
What’s wrong with that , you really will have to get over yourself
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 10:01 AM BST
Ok. British divers are among the best in the world. And british or american military should be there.

God bless the Queen.
Report lfc1971 July 6, 2018 10:02 AM BST
I am saying the Thai authorities should be asking the British military and engineers ,
If they have done that fine , have they ?
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 10:05 AM BST
Yes you moron, the american military is already there. As i siad, people from over 30 nations helped in the search(incl 30 american military experts)and there is no reason why they wouldnt have been asked to help in the rescue as well.

I am not sure if british military has gotten involved yet. But they are usually only required when its a fake war and the americans need sheep. Something like this, the americans can handle themselves, especially with the australians nearby, who are also there before you blame that too on Russia.
Report lfc1971 July 6, 2018 10:06 AM BST
ok
Report trilby22 July 6, 2018 10:18 AM BST
A former Thai Navy SEAL has died while trying to rescue the team of young footballers trapped in a cave in Thailand.

Saman Kunan, 37, died due to a lack of oxygen in the tunnel, said Commander Arpakorn Yookongkaew.

Kunan was trying to reach a cavern set up as a command centre 1.2miles inside the cave system when he ran out of air at 2am local time.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/navy-seal-diver-dies-after-running-out-of-oxygen-taking-supplies-to-trapped-thai-soccer-team-revealing-just-how-dangerous-it-will-be-to-get-children-who-can-barely-swim-out-of-the-cave-system/ar-AAzElhM?ocid=spartanntp

RIP Saman Sad
Report trilby22 July 6, 2018 10:29 AM BST
From that MSN article, "The boys told rescuers they have heard dogs barking, roosters crowing and children playing despite being 800 metres underground.

This has led officials to think there may be another way out through a 'chimney hole' to the surface."

First I'd heard this.  Could be very great news!
Report lfc1971 July 6, 2018 10:30 AM BST
A very brave man , a hero .
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 10:41 AM BST
Yes trilby, they even have had access to fresh air over the course of the 9 days but people have still been searching for the path of that air, hoping it could be an escape point. They still haven't been able to figure that out.

After the ex navy guy's death, I am pretty sure they have ruled out forcing the kids to dive. Its a 5 hour journey for the navy seals, you can imagine how hard it would be for 11-16 year olds who can't even swim. Not happening.

They will most probably be there till the monsoon season is over. Unless they come up with a solution like Musk has suggested(easier said than done).
Report dustybin July 6, 2018 10:43 AM BST
It only became a secluded area becasue their return path was blocked by the flood.

Pardon?
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 10:47 AM BST
What I meant to say was their return part was blocked by the water which trapped them into that area.  And the track they took up to that point didn't exist anymore.

There are warnings on the way for exactly this type of a situation but as I said, its possible they thought the weather was clear so they weren't in danger.
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 10:52 AM BST
I can relate to what happened in this case as I have myself faced a flash flood during a hiking trip. A perfectly fine day ruined because our return journey was made impossible because the path we walked on was now a river. Yes it does say 'Flash flood warnings' on the way but you don't expect a flash flood under clear skies. And that is what makes them so dangerous. I was lucky to be on a mountain and not in a cave. We just moved on to the next resting point and there were enough people around anyways.
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 10:53 AM BST
I must add that we were warned by the locals to go back because water was coming. We thought they were joking but somehow they knew.
Report dustybin July 6, 2018 10:56 AM BST
Its always been secluded.
Im not saying his intentions were anything other than honourable....but from what we know from data elsewhere its not the first odd thing a football coach has done.
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 11:00 AM BST
I didn't know the exact meaning of the word secluded so apologies for that. Yes its a secluded area. The coach is also only 24 I guess.
Report Poppydog. July 6, 2018 7:44 PM BST
All 13 officially invited to the World Cup Final by FIFA
Report kenny mann July 6, 2018 8:03 PM BST
Feel really bad for that Navy Seal. Left them plenty of oxygen and didn't have enough for himself on the way back.

What a brave man. What a selfless act.

RIP
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 9:32 PM BST
Brave indeed. What's more, the guy had volunteered and wasn't a part of the navy seals deployed there. But I find it hard to believe that he didn't have enough oxygen with him. And he had his partner with him, and still couldn't make it. Just shows this isn't just about swimming through the water. At first I thought he had drowned but he was at a checkpoint when he first went unconscious. I wonder how the kids will make it.

What's more interesting is that the kids didn't run out of oxygen in 9 days! And no one has still been able to figure out which path the fresh air is coming in. Sort of a mystery.
Report trilby22 July 6, 2018 9:38 PM BST

Jul 6, 2018 -- 8:03PM, kenny mann wrote:

Feel really bad for that Navy Seal. Left them plenty of oxygen and didn't have enough for himself on the way back.What a brave man. What a selfless act.RIP

Absolutely, Kenny.  That's the way they live out there.  Absolutely beautiful people in the Far East - generally speaking.

Invited to the WC, Poppy?  Are you sure?  Sure they will but get them out first, ffs!?

Report trilby22 July 6, 2018 9:38 PM BST
We could learn much from them. FACT!
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 9:41 PM BST
I don't like the way Fifa have invited them. Something like an award in honor of their strength would be much better. Even if they are out tomorrow, the psychological impact is so massive they won't be interested in watching a game of football. Ask the Chilean miners.
Report detraveller July 6, 2018 9:42 PM BST
I mean they are talking of inviting someone to a party when that someone is physically and emotionally fighting to live.
Report dustybin July 7, 2018 12:37 PM BST
Its not long since I watched that '33' film about those miners.
Has it been ruled out to do something similar, attempt to drill down or laterally?
Report detraveller July 7, 2018 1:31 PM BST
They say its dangerous because of some reason, what I understood was that the boys are in a narrow place and drilling to that place puts them at risk.

They think they can drill to a place nearby which isn't that deep and can then navigate through the cave to where the boys are. Don't know what the development on that is.
Report Reynard July 7, 2018 2:22 PM BST
Maybe FIFA are inviting them to Qatar Plain
Report lfc1971 July 8, 2018 8:29 AM BST
Team of 18 divers are to start the rescue of the boys today say Thai authorities
Report detraveller July 8, 2018 9:04 AM BST
It has begun.
Report northanlite July 8, 2018 1:03 PM BST
being reported that the first couple are out. must be very tense times for the rescuers
Report detraveller July 8, 2018 1:10 PM BST
Great news. The first 2 are at the hospital now. As long as the kids don't panic during the journey, they should all make it out.
Report Deltâ July 8, 2018 1:11 PM BST
At least two of a group of boys trapped inside a cave in northern Thailand for two weeks have been been successfully brought out, reports say.

Rescuers decided to go ahead with the hazardous operation on Sunday because of fears of rising waters.

Divers are guiding the 12 boys and their coach through darkness and submerged passageways towards the mouth of the Tham Luang cave system.

They are being rescued in groups. It is unclear how long the mission will take.
Report northanlite July 8, 2018 1:13 PM BST
3rd boy out apparently. it must be terrifying for them
Report trilby22 July 8, 2018 1:26 PM BST
Two groups out ...

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow
Report trilby22 July 8, 2018 1:27 PM BST
4th boy has now reached the cave entrance
5th & 6th boys have reached the 3rd chamber
Report dustybin July 8, 2018 1:36 PM BST
They wont be doing it again.
Stupid activity anyway
Report themightymac July 8, 2018 1:41 PM BST
Coach should be jailed.
Report Injera July 8, 2018 1:41 PM BST
Media said they could be in their for up to 4 months so this is wonderful news.

9 days without food....

No idea what the teacher was thinking but now's not the time..just get them out.
Report SlippyBlue July 8, 2018 1:46 PM BST
Great news that they are being rescued, I just cannot imagine the terror they have been through.
Report dustybin July 8, 2018 1:47 PM BST
I hope nobody local has just bought a lamp hoping to take the hobby up.
Can see holes being blocked up throughout the country
Report trilby22 July 8, 2018 2:25 PM BST
5th & 6th boys out.
Report trilby22 July 8, 2018 2:27 PM BST
http://www.richardbarrow.com/

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow
Report breadnbutter July 8, 2018 9:30 PM BST
Agree with the comments about the coach needing some scrutiny here ,the kids are all in football kit ?   Is that correct ?           Caving in football kit seems odd ,also the rains that trapped them were forecast . Diver lost his life ,bad crack . Someone with a modicum of intelligence suggested diverting the river feeding the cave and that’s how they are out so quickly  ,not exactly been reported in the uk correctly ,typical media ,same old same old .
Report GLASGOWCALLING July 9, 2018 12:36 AM BST
4 out ATM according to 5live.
Report trilby22 July 9, 2018 12:41 AM BST
Yes Glasgow, numbers were downgraded late yesterday afternoon.
Report akabula July 9, 2018 12:42 AM BST
The bbc got that figure as well although I think they said 6 earlier.
Hopefully get all the boys out tomorrow.
Don't think the leader will get the same response the boys are getting.
Report Aspro July 9, 2018 12:48 PM BST
6 out now (breaking)
Report trilby22 July 9, 2018 2:09 PM BST
Richard Barrow in Thailand

@RichardBarrow
Follow
Follow @RichardBarrow

More
UPDATE at 8:02pm: A helicopter with the 8th boy has just taken off and is heading towards Chiang Rai.
Report trilby22 July 9, 2018 2:09 PM BST
Only five to go!
Report GLASGOWCALLING July 9, 2018 4:06 PM BST
good news so far ... Happy
Report akabula July 9, 2018 9:52 PM BST
Hopefully get the other 4 lads out tomorrow then go back in a months time for the coach.
Report lfc1971 July 9, 2018 11:18 PM BST
“ Every child is accompanied by a British diver , regarded as the best in the world “

Wonderful news so far,  fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow
Report Platini July 9, 2018 11:33 PM BST
Great news.

It's a miracle, really.

Actually, it's been a month of miracles (the weather, Eng getting to WC semi, etc). Wonder if there's any more to come.
Report detraveller July 10, 2018 8:27 AM BST
Won't be surprised if the coach isn't punished at all.
Report Platini July 10, 2018 10:15 AM BST
Agreed. The coach will not be thrown to the wolves.

If he was a foreigner, different story.
Report detraveller July 10, 2018 10:25 AM BST
The police stated on the same day these kids were found that the coach will be tried. So legally, he'll have to face the music.
Report detraveller July 10, 2018 10:29 AM BST
But i'm more inclined to look at the cultural perspective. Usually when things end well, many cultures do not want to sadden the occasion by punishing someone. They could easily brush it aside by saying 'This was God's will' or the parents of the kids could sympathize with the coach and some politician might come out with a pardon and score some points(I was expecting this to happen but it never did). Remember these are people who were waving fishing nets outside the caves to remove the bad spirits from where the kids were. They could easily come up with something to justify the coach's decision. I've never been to Thailand but someone who;s lived there would know how people usually react to sufferings that have a good ending.
Report detraveller July 10, 2018 10:32 AM BST
Also, its a big enough punishment to contemplate death for 9 days in comelete darkness, your only company being 12 kids whom you also dragged with you on your journey to death. And then there's the news of the guy who got killed trying to save them(pretty sure the coach or the kids dont know abt him, as that would only spread panic on the return journey). Enough on the coach's plate I say. Legal opinion will be different of course once it gets to that point.
Report northanlite July 10, 2018 1:53 PM BST
do they know for a fact it was the coaches idea to go into the cave? maybe they went in & he went looking
for them?
Report Jack Hacksaw July 10, 2018 2:01 PM BST
All out!
Report Jack Hacksaw July 10, 2018 2:02 PM BST
Reckon a couple of nights good sleep and they will be ready for the WC Final.
Report Aspro July 10, 2018 2:24 PM BST
Just read the update, great news. Shame someone had to die though Sad
Report TELL DEL July 10, 2018 3:01 PM BST
All the kids are safe but need special and intensive care for at least 1 week in order to make sure they didn’t catch any unknown viruses or diseases. Apparently they had arranged for the whole group of them to go and watch the World Cup Final but doctors said that would be too risky and too soon.
Report detraveller July 10, 2018 3:01 PM BST

Jul 10, 2018 -- 2:02PM, Jack Hacksaw wrote:

Reckon a couple of nights good sleep and they will be ready for the WC Final.

They most definitely will be suffering from cave fever and lung infections. In fact, they haven't yet been allowed to meet their parents, except through a glass screen. If I remember it right, doctors have strictly ordered a 7 day stay at the hospital.

Report Jack Hacksaw July 10, 2018 4:10 PM BST
Oh well...don't tell them the result and they can watch on catch-up. Happy
Report The Leopard July 10, 2018 4:13 PM BST
....or watch it live in hospital !
Report Jack Hacksaw July 10, 2018 4:17 PM BST
Blush
Report detraveller July 11, 2018 9:15 AM BST
Disgraceful stuff from Elon Musk whining over why they rejected his submarine.
Report trilby22 July 11, 2018 1:00 PM BST
WAC that Musk is Angry

Absolutely fantastic news with all thirteen out and safe!

I don't think the coach will get too hard a time from the Thai public, police, etc.  I hope not, anyway.  They life a different way of life out there in the Far East to us Westerners.

Something we should learn from!
Report posy July 11, 2018 5:41 PM BST
A fantastic achievement to get the boys out but terribly sad that a diver lost his life earlier in the week.
Report detraveller July 11, 2018 6:32 PM BST
They allowed Musk to go into cave 3. His fecking response is that the leader of the rescue mission doesn't know his job. This is exactly where people should say 'Go back to where you came from'.
Report trilby22 July 11, 2018 6:36 PM BST
I'd not heard of Musk afore his spaceman stunt.  He should've been in the car, imo.

Peeps like him give Westerners a bad name in the Far East.

w4nker Angry
Report curlywatt July 11, 2018 10:49 PM BST
i hope they go easy on the coach as a nation, in fairness he refused to eat any of the small bit of food the boys had when they entered the cave
Report detraveller July 11, 2018 11:16 PM BST
The families had forgiven him before the kids started coming out. I don't think he'll be punished.

Elections coming in february, I am surprised no one announced a pardon for him.
Report dustybin July 12, 2018 10:03 AM BST
Ive never much liked Musk but I think he's got a bit of bad press on this.
The reason I think this is because the rescue of those kids didnt exactly play out how the early reporting told us.

Ive seen cut clips of the kids in scuba gear getting acclimatised with going under the water, and seen animated clips of how the mission was being handled with the child free 'swimming' between 2 divers connected to a rope and holding the kid's Oxygen tank.

Well it turns out thats not how it happened.
What it looks like they did was give the kids the idea they were going to do something like that, then they knocked em out with drugs, strapped em into a coffin like structure with breathing apparatus and then carefully led the device through with the kids being unconscious.

A clever trick really, and not actually far from Musk's idea at all.
Report detraveller July 12, 2018 5:54 PM BST
Did they officially confirm that or is it just speculation? If panic was indeed their biggest issue then knocking them out would have been the best solution probably. WOn't be surprised if that's what they did.

As for Musk,I found his very first tweets quite disrespectful, I don't really remember what he said but it seemed he was only interested in using it as an experiment. Also his reaction after his prototype was rejected wasn't really that good. Tweeting about how the rescue chief doesn't have a clue is more like what Trump would tweet.
Report Injera July 12, 2018 6:14 PM BST
The rescue mission however it was carried out, was miraculous. All the quotes I've heard from those involved said how dangerous and unlikely it was.
Report trilby22 July 14, 2018 10:07 PM BST
Hallejulia!
Report Jack Hacksaw July 15, 2018 7:08 AM BST
Ramruma 03 Jul 18 11:37 Joined: 11 Dec 02 | Topic/replies: 10,127 | Blogger: Ramruma's blog
If they are worried about panic then rather than teaching the kids to dive, it might be easier and quicker to knock them out and transport them one at a time unconscious in an oxygenated "coffin".

I haven't been following this very closely but according to The Times yesterday, they were heavily sedated and put on a sled with a full face oxygen mask on.
Report detraveller July 16, 2018 10:02 AM BST
I missed the twitter fight between Musk and the brit diver. Musk calls him a pedo for rejecting his submarine. The whole episode from Musk was a PR stunt it seems. Unless of course he can make that submarine complete the journey and prove everyone wrong. What a mug.
Report Facts July 16, 2018 1:28 PM BST
What an utter dispicable man  Musk is.

I hope the British diver sues Musk for every cent he's got.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now