Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
brassneck
06 Jun 18 22:05
| Topic/replies: 12,485 | Blogger: brassneck's blog
the odds of this happening are quoted at 16 trillion to one.
Now Albert Einstein said that the chances of the universe starting without an intelligent force being behind it were about a billion to the power of 36.
based an these numbers the french guy would need to win the lotto another 34 times before we can conclude that their is no god.LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Some French guy won a million on the...
Show More
Report brassneck June 6, 2018 10:08 PM BST
thereLaughLaughLaugh(thats for cork)
Report brassneck June 6, 2018 10:15 PM BST
And if the French guy does do it again we will all call him godLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report The Leopard June 6, 2018 10:42 PM BST
....unless it was f*xed !
Report The Leopard June 6, 2018 10:43 PM BST
Aliens probably messing with us.
Report Foinavon June 6, 2018 11:43 PM BST
Every ticket has the same chance whoever owns it. Heads and tails have the same chance but it doesn't prevent seven heads in a row.
If there is a supreme being who started the universe, we should strive to be his moral superior.
Report The Leopard June 7, 2018 12:18 AM BST
....and if there isn't ?
Report mouse muldoon June 7, 2018 12:53 AM BST
mon dieu
Report mouse muldoon June 7, 2018 12:57 AM BST
et gordon bleu
Report Foinavon June 7, 2018 1:24 AM BST
The Leopard
07 Jun 18 00:18
Joined: 05 Apr 06 | Topic/replies: 38,824 | Blogger: The Leopard's blog
....and if there isn't ?

Keep calm and carry on.
Report TheBetterBettor June 7, 2018 1:31 AM BST
Poor value with those odds... should've checked the prices on here.
Report Pleasegivemeanailedontip June 7, 2018 7:35 AM BST
Those odds don't account for how many combinations they were playing though.

I bet God was playing evolution lotto on both Wednesday and Saturday and was probably putting a few grand on each time.
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 8:32 AM BST
Twaddle . There are thousands of previous winners still playing lotteries around the world .
Lottery winning is Poisson distributed and Henk Tijms gives some real insight into the odds in his book on probability available from Amazon .
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 8:34 AM BST
Understanding Probability - Henk Tijms
Well worth a read but don't trust his answers to the exercises .
Report Crisp77 June 7, 2018 9:14 AM BST
Are you sure he wasn't watching the draw on catch-up TV?
Report The Leopard June 7, 2018 10:44 AM BST
BBC :

A man from south-east France has won the country's "My Million" lottery for the second time in less than two years - a feat that mathematicians say has odds of one in 16 trillion.
The winner, who was not named, won his first €1m (£877,000) in November 2016 and continued to play each week.

Last month he won his second €1m.
The newsagent in the Haute-Savoie region where the ticket was bought said the winner had barely reacted, adding: "I guess he is used to winning."
My Million is a smaller draw run alongside the main EuroMillions lottery.

Players in EuroMillions, with its huge jackpots, are automatically entered for the second draw with a series of randomly assigned numbers.
The lucky double winner says he intends to keep playing, French media reported, trusting in the old adage that things always come in threes.

Mathematicians quoted by Le Parisien newspaper said that the odds of winning My Million once were about 19 million to one and EuroMillions 140 million to one.
The staggering odds of a double win put other unlikely events in the shade, according to the bookmaker Paddy Power:

Being struck by lightning twice - one in 20 million
Getting a hole in one in back-to-back rounds of golf - one in 60 million

Two consecutive 147s - the maximum break - at the World Snooker Championships - one in five million
Last month an Australian man won a local lottery twice in one week - scooping more than A$1m each time.
Lottery organisers said the odds of winning once were one in 1.845 million.

"We don't know of anyone else who has won twice in a week," New South Wales Lotteries spokesman Matt Hart told AFP news agency.
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 10:47 AM BST
Mathematicians do not say 1 in 16 trillion .
The probability of him winning the first lottery was 1 since he had already won !!!
Report TheBetterBettor June 7, 2018 10:49 AM BST
I remember seeing Taylor nearly pulling off 2 nine darters in a row....

Whats the odds on that?
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 10:50 AM BST
What they might say is the likelihood of nominating a person to win two lotteries is nigh on impossible .
Report The Leopard June 7, 2018 11:01 AM BST
You have to factor in all the national  lottery draws every where in the world over 2 years.....20,000 ?
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 11:04 AM BST
Assume that the odds were 14 million to 1 against and that there were 100 previous winners buying tickets then by simple probability theory the chance of a winner winning again would be 100/14000000 or 1/140000.
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 11:06 AM BST
That's right Leopard , there must be hordes of winners .
Mr Anderson will tell us as he knows his probability as do Bayes and Ror .
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 11:16 AM BST
So if it was two years we then have 104/14000  =13 /1750 . Assuming that all ticket holders chose a different selection .
I wonder what odds Paddy Power would offer?
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 11:25 AM BST
The housekeeper has informed me that I should be working for Paddy Power as I have got it wrong .Whoops
There will not be 104 but you get the picture .
Report The Leopard June 7, 2018 11:30 AM BST
Go to go - - - - --  --  ->
Report TheBetterBettor June 7, 2018 11:42 AM BST
Belgium government officials ordered an investigation after the numbers 4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 were selected, in a different order, live on television on September 6 and 10.

However police found no evidence of wrongdoing.

....and we are meant to be dealing with BREXIT with these guys.
Report TheBetterBettor June 7, 2018 11:42 AM BST
Belgium government officials ordered an investigation after the numbers 4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 were selected, in a different order, live on television on September 6 and 10.

However police found no evidence of wrongdoing.

....and we are meant to be dealing with BREXIT with these guys.
Report Just Checking June 7, 2018 1:06 PM BST
This is the sort of total lack of common sense mathematical stupidity that grinds my gears.
Typical BBC though.

The chance of buying one ticket and then immediately buying another ticket that win (in a different draw) MIGHT arguably be capable of being multiplied together if those were the only tickets bought. But over a lifetime to buy a load of tickets over a course of years (how many tickets a draw?), one wins, then when you've got a pile of money and may be buying loads of tickets a draw, over the course of more years, to win again is not REMOTELY the same odds.

It's so obvious that's not the case, surely, to anyone, never mind anyone whose even sniffed the air coming out of a basic probablity class...

"a feat that mathematicians say has odds of one in 16 trillion."
They should have their qualifications, if they have any, stripped.
Report Foinavon June 7, 2018 1:07 PM BST
You are assuming each lottery winner buys just one ticket for each draw, dunlaying, when I'm in the voluntary tax queue in a supermarket I see people buying 5 or even 10 tickets along with their packet of cigarettes. I suspect their assessment of risk is different to mine.
Report dunlaying June 7, 2018 1:11 PM BST
Yes that is right Foinavon . But the upshot is that with a hundred or more lotteries around the world the event is more likely to happen than not , hence odds on not one in trillions .
Report Just Checking June 7, 2018 1:19 PM BST
It's so OBVIOUS those odds are so wrong. The odds of rolling a dice 6 twice in a row if that's all you do are 1/6*6 = 1/36. (ok not odds, probability).
The odds of rolling a dice 50 times and in that sequence getting two 6s are very very high.
If you understand that it's obvious what's wrong with the "maths" of saying over a lifetime getting two lottery wins is the odds of the two wins together.
Report Just Checking June 7, 2018 1:20 PM BST
(I keep mixing up odds and probability as I'm in a hurry and sloppy buy you get my point!).
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now