Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jack Hacksaw
01 May 18 09:01
| Topic/replies: 4,375 | Blogger: Jack Hacksaw's blog
There was a lot of interest on here some months ago on this subject.

I was on it for a year, and lost a stone and a half.  16 stone down to 14.5.

Since the New Year I have been doing it one day a week, so 6/1 rather than 5/2.  Nearly lost another half stone.

I have combined it with generally eating better and less.  Only ever two meals a day.

Cut down on sweet stuff...only one sweet item per day..which makes only 5 or 6 a week at max.  Some days I don't bother at all.

It is easy not to overeat if you are busy and doing something fairly active most of the time.

Some willpower is required.

Still drinking approx 3 pints, 6 days a week.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Fasting Diet (cont)
Show More
Report DenzilPenberthy May 24, 2018 11:51 PM BST
Just used a shepherds pie mix (x2) to make a stew with mushrooms,onions,garlic,tomatoes,carrots and green lentils replacing the mince served with boiled potatoes,broccoli and mint sauce was very nice and not much different to using mince as all the flavour is in the mix.
Report Makybe_Diva May 25, 2018 8:31 AM BST
Thanks Denzil.

I might make a cottage pie using lentils and a cottage pie mix. I've never used either before.

Mr. Maybe used to be a vegetarian and I used quorn mince for cottage pies, they were quite nice,  but I realise now that Quorn isn't very healthy and has egg and milk in it, so no good if I'm giving this vegan malarkey a try.

I good while ago I bought Keep it Vegan by Áime Carlin, I only flicked through it but I've got it out again and will read it properly.

I have thought about becoming vegan for a while but it's never been more than a thought. Giving up eggs will be hard and I like meat so will definitely need meat substitutes.

I read in the Daily Fail that, this week, that Tesco has started to stock the new vegan steaks. They are from Denmark, I think,

They are supposed to be almost like the real thing.
I very much doubt that, but I will buy one today and try it tomorrow it with some nice starchy chips and report back. I might be extra healthy and do sweet potato wedges Happy

I'll find links to the steaks.
Report Makybe_Diva May 25, 2018 8:32 AM BST
Sorry for the typos, it's early.
Report Makybe_Diva May 25, 2018 8:40 AM BST
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5731071/Vegan-plant-based-steak-Vivera-launches-Tesco-supermarket-tastes-looks-just-like-meat.html

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300544698

They don't look very appetising in their uncooked state and they are made from soya, which I generally avoid.

I'm getting up now to go and do my shopping.... and buy some lentils and pretend steak Happy
Report Makybe_Diva May 25, 2018 8:47 AM BST
They look very nice when cooked Excited
https://youtu.be/lguGpesn-Ag
Report Dr Crippen May 25, 2018 11:46 AM BST
I just couldn't accept what he was saying

Same here Makybe, in fact I went on a high fat diet and ditched the carbs; this sent my blood sugar readings up to 6.8.
How could that be when so many doctors tell us it's the carbs which are responsible for high blood sugar readings?
Well our bodies run on glucose, if it's not available it simply turns protein and fat into glucose.

I panicked, and listened to McDoogall with his starch and veg diet and gave it a try.
I get blood sugar readings of 5.3 - 5.7  on this diet.
And I eat as much as I like without any weight gain.

The science is that it's fat in our glucose receptors (muscles etc), which cause diabetes (insulin resistance) by slowing down the entry of glucose; this causes insulin to rise even further in an attempt to accomplish the task.
Remove the fat and the glucose goes in easily, causing our sugar levels to drop and the need for more insulin with it.
Report Dr Crippen May 25, 2018 11:58 AM BST
That's with Stage 2 diabetes by the way.

The cause of Stage 1 diabetes is different.
Report Makybe_Diva May 25, 2018 5:45 PM BST
Interesting stuff, Dr Crippen.

I bought my pretend steaks Grin

But I forgot my lentils Sad

I picked up a garlic baguette, which was different from my usual one.
When I got it home I noticed it was vegan garlic bread! I think it's a sign Happy

I had a look round Tesco for vegan foods, just to see what is available, and couldn't find very much.

I've just done a Google search and found Wicked Kitchen. They produce a range of vegan foods for Tesco. I obviously didn't look very hard.
https://wickedhealthyfood.com/2018/01/07/mighty-plant-flavours-unleashed-wicked-top-secret-u-k-project-revealed/

I'm going to buy the mushroom pizza next time I'm in there.

I did buy a chicken for Sunday lunch (free range of course) and some new cornetto things to try Blush

One step at a time Happy
Report DenzilPenberthy May 25, 2018 6:27 PM BST
Makes sense MD

https://nutritionstudies.org/recipes/meal/

I've posted a link which might give an idea or 3 but haven't looked at it properly yet
Report Makybe_Diva May 25, 2018 8:25 PM BST
That looks really good, Denzil, thanks Happy
Report Dr Crippen May 25, 2018 8:34 PM BST
Good links the last two from M_D and Denzel.

Linda McCartney's vegetarian sausages I get from Tesco aren't bad.
Report Makybe_Diva May 25, 2018 8:48 PM BST
I'd forgotten all about the Linda McCartney range.
http://lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/our-food/chilled-range/

The sausages look quite nice. I might buy some and do hot-dogs Happy
Report DenzilPenberthy May 25, 2018 8:57 PM BST
Cheers for the links MD just catching up now
Report Makybe_Diva May 25, 2018 8:59 PM BST
Happy
Report Makybe_Diva May 26, 2018 4:50 PM BST
I'm going to cook my Vivera steaks now Excited

Will eat them while watching Midsomer Murders so I will report back later Happy
Report Makybe_Diva May 26, 2018 8:54 PM BST
Disappointing Sad
Report DenzilPenberthy May 26, 2018 9:37 PM BST
Trial and error job MD
Up to now I haven't missed the protein as part of a meal so will be sticking to the whole foods and maybe treating with the other stuff,popcorn aint bad for a snack/treat just eating some home made (I eat shop bought too) add your own sea salt if you like it surprisingly good nutrition might have to activate the flash on the link.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5356/2
Report Makybe_Diva May 27, 2018 9:07 AM BST
Yes, I like popcorn but daren't buy too much at once as I find it very addictive.

I like this from Aldi
https://www.nutracheck.co.uk/CaloriesIn/Product/78/Aldi+Passions+Deli+Sweet+%26+Salted+Popcorn+27g
Report Mr.Anderson May 27, 2018 1:15 PM BST
I've read a couple studies which I found interesting:

Genetic Adaptation of Fatty-Acid Metabolism: A Human-Specific Haplotype Increasing the Biosynthesis of Long-Chain Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3376635/

Positive Selection on a Regulatory Insertion–Deletion Polymorphism in FADS2 Influences Apparent Endogenous Synthesis of Arachidonic Acid
https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/33/7/1726/2578764

Pretty difficult texts, I definately don't understand everything, but enough to find them interesting Grin

The very short version: How good you are at making long chain fatty acids out of plant food depends a great deal on your genes. How commmon certain genes are depends on the traditional diet in that area. Genes that give greater conversion are more common in traditional vegetarian populations, and pretty much don't exist among inuits for example.

Some time in the future when the science of nutrition is no longer a mess I'm sure that nutritional advice will be tailored to the individual depending on what genes you have.
Report Jack Hacksaw May 27, 2018 1:52 PM BST
How come there were very few fatties around 50 years ago?

Was that genetic?
Report Mr.Anderson May 27, 2018 2:10 PM BST
No, genes don't change much in 50 years. Most modern food is bad for you regardless of genes I think.
Report Dr Crippen May 28, 2018 11:38 AM BST
Today's kids are predicted to be the first generation to live shorter lives than their parents.
That's quite an indictment against modern medicine, which it seems to be under the control of the pharmaceuticals and the food manufactures judging from what doctors are taught.

Which is to eat a balanced diet with saturated fat and sugar, which they have been telling us for decades is killing us.
Meat, fish, and dairy products are saturated fat.

Yet they won't tell us specifically to stop eating these products. Why not?
Report Dr Crippen May 28, 2018 11:47 AM BST
Here for instance in a recent report from a credible source.
They don't tell us to stop eating foods containing significant amounts of saturated fat, but to simply reduce our intake of them. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/harvard-researchers-renew-warnin...
Report Makybe_Diva June 1, 2018 9:06 PM BST
My mushroom pizza from Wicked Kitchen was delicious. It's an odd size. It was too big to eat in one go so I froze half of it, but half of one isn't quite enough. It was a bit hot and spicy for my taste but I would buy one again Happy

I bought some Vegan cheese today and some Linda MacCartney vegetarian sausages. I've yet to try them.

This is an interesting read about grains
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/jan/grains.htm
Report Dr Crippen June 1, 2018 9:46 PM BST
Good link again Makybe_Diva.

Compelling stuff from Dr Mcdougall, and all backed where appropriate by a list of studies at the bottom.

The amazing part is they don't teach hardly any of that in medical college according to the doctors online.
Report DenzilPenberthy June 1, 2018 10:11 PM BST
Agree another gem from Dr McDougall.
Report trader pj June 2, 2018 1:24 PM BST
1.50pm  insoection
Report Makybe_Diva June 2, 2018 1:51 PM BST

Jun 1, 2018 -- 3:46PM, Dr Crippen wrote:

Good link again Makybe_Diva.Compelling stuff from Dr Mcdougall, and all backed where appropriate by a list of studies at the bottom.The amazing part is they don't teach hardly any of that in medical college according to the doctors online.

It was yourself and Denzil that put me into Dr McDougall's website. I haven't looked at all of it. I'm still reading his Starch Solution book. I'm coming round to his way of thinking.

I returned home from town earlier and Mr Makybe's first words weren't... " Hello darling, have you had a nice time? Did you buy anything nice?"

No, what he said was... "Don't get buying any of that f*****g cheese again, it's gross!"  Plain

He'd actually been told not to open the cheese. He doesn't listen to a word I say.
Anyway, I tried some and it isn't gross. It tastes slightly of Edam, but doesn't really taste much of anything at all.
I think it will be fine on toast with some black pepper on it. I liked it. It's Violife FYI.

So onto lunch, where I made hot dogs with Linda McCartney sausages.
They were lovely! Even Mr Makybe liked them.

They are very low calorie, too, compared to normal sausages (which I never buy anyway).
It will be hot dogs every Saturday for lunch from now on.
Thanks for the recommendation, Dr Crippen Happy

Report DenzilPenberthy June 2, 2018 2:22 PM BST
I returned home from town earlier and Mr Makybe's first words weren't... " Hello darling, have you had a nice time? Did you buy anything nice?"

No, what he said was... "Don't get buying any of that f*****g cheese again, it's gross!"  Plain

He'd actually been told not to open the cheese. He doesn't listen to a word I say.

That'd be right Laugh

Stick with it it gets easier and easier,I haven't looked at the website much either there's alot to take in and you need your head on to digest it all but as long as we've got the basics we can't lose.
Report Makybe_Diva June 2, 2018 2:47 PM BST
Yes, it is a lot to take in, Denzil, after years of believing the opposite to all he is saying.

I've got salmon for tea Plain
Report DenzilPenberthy June 2, 2018 2:54 PM BST
I doubt the odd bit of fatty fish or meat will hurt in the long run if you can stay clear 5 or 6 days per week it'll also do your mind good having a 'treat' meal to look forward to.
Report Makybe_Diva June 2, 2018 3:05 PM BST
This is the thing, Denzil. In the Starch Solution, Dr McDougall says be able to eat the foods you love. Well I had been eating the foods I love, such as chicken, beef, pork, salmon, eggs, butter, cream, cheese.

Whoever would think a salmon fillet would ever be a 'treat'? I consider a treat, something like corenetto, not a piece of salmon Sad

This is hard!
Report DenzilPenberthy June 2, 2018 3:22 PM BST
Yes the whole mentality of 'treat' as I said it is a completely different mentality from what we're used to.
What I've been doing is trying to cook meals the same as before and just replacing the meat part with a type of lentil or bean or both with wholegrain rice/quinoa/pasta which has worked ok so far.
Another one that's helped is using a whole grain cereal (protein oaties mainly) as a meal and add some fruit or a small amount of chocolate granola with water and it's like a meal and desert in one with plenty of good nutrition as they're all heavily fortified now.
Report DenzilPenberthy June 2, 2018 3:23 PM BST
*dessert
Report Makybe_Diva June 2, 2018 3:33 PM BST
Oh bother! I forgot to buy some lentils again this week.

I've only ever done quinoa once before.
Something went horribly wrong when draining the water off, and I lost most of it down the sink Shocked

I must start eating porridge again. I'd even stopped eating oats, in my war against grains Cry

I tried to buy some of these today from Holland and Barrett. They didn't have any Sad

https://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/our-range/oat-biscuits/dark-chocolate-chip-o...
Report DenzilPenberthy June 2, 2018 3:38 PM BST
They look alright should go well with a cuppa
The quinoa I get is the flavoured packet stuff often with wholegrain rice they're pretty good compared to having to prepare it yourself.
Report Makybe_Diva June 2, 2018 3:39 PM BST
Oh thanks. I'll try that Happy
Report Makybe_Diva June 2, 2018 9:26 PM BST
Vegan scrambled egg. Good reviews for this on Amazon.
https://youtu.be/7AeuVv2D_uQ

I can't see it available at Tesco. I will have to buy it online.
Report Makybe_Diva June 2, 2018 9:33 PM BST
This is the website. It might have changed since that lady's video and the reviews
http://followyourheart.com/veganegg/

It still looks worth trying.
Report DenzilPenberthy June 2, 2018 9:49 PM BST
I'm not an egg man but there seems like plenty of nice looking recipes on there 'Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake' looks the business might be worth saving that one up.
Report Makybe_Diva June 3, 2018 3:09 PM BST
That does look nice, Denzil. I'd never get round to making it tho' Blush

I've just had Sunday lunch, with Linda McCartney sausages, instead of the usual chicken. I had apple sauce so I could pretend it was pork.
I even had mashed potato too, this week Grin

I'm going to try Alpro Single Soya as an alternative to cream.
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Alpro-Fresh-Soya-Cream-Alternative/40951011?from=shop&tags=%7C20000%7C40590%7C11750&parentContainer=%7C40590%7C11750

I have had Almond milk in my coffee today. It's perfectly acceptable so I will stick with it.

I can't believe how easy it is to live without eating animal products.

Still got to find a few more vegan alternatives for some of my favourite things. I will keep researching.

I'm planning on keeping this up. I'm not going be 100% vegan tho'.

If I'm eating at someone else's house, I will eat what's put in front of me.
I will also enjoy cakes of all kinds, when I'm having coffee with friends, which is a few times a month Love
Report DenzilPenberthy June 3, 2018 3:17 PM BST
Good stuff MD you have to have that attitude as it becomes too restrictive on the rest of your life.
I'm on baked potatoes and beans today forgot how much I enjoyed it also the Almond milk in coffee sounds good I might get some later for that and my cereal.
Report Makybe_Diva June 3, 2018 4:28 PM BST
Baked potato and beans sounds good. I will have to start eating baked potatoes regularly again.
Might be nice with vegan scrambled eggs when I manage to get some.

Apparently microwaved potatoes are better for you than doing them in the oven. Something to do with the skins being overcooked or something. Like avoiding barbecued meat, I suppose.

I never have sugar in my tea and coffee but I found unsweetened almond milk was horrible. So I buy the original version.

It clearly says on the carton if it's original or unsweetened. The original contains sugar but it can't be much as it is only 30cals per 100ml, which is a lot less than milk.

I make my porridge with water then add a splash of almond milk. Rice milk is quite nice too, but I prefer almond milk now.

I buy mine from Aldi, it tastes the same as other makes. I've always bought UHT. I've never bought the stuff out the chiller cabinets, I'll have to try it next time, it might be even nicer.
Report DenzilPenberthy June 3, 2018 7:51 PM BST
Went to Tesco Express as they had the Almond milk etc. on for a £ read the ingredients and tumbled why they  hadn't crossed my mind - the calcium (120mg per 100ml) which I'm avoiding extra after watching the dairy industry video,bought some spicy frozen bean burgers (can't be too bad) and mediterranean cous cous.
Report Makybe_Diva June 3, 2018 8:30 PM BST
I thought the added calcium would be a good thing. I hadn't thought about really Confused

I'll  with stick with the almond milk for now, as I will only get through 1-2 cartons a week, if that.

Can you please post a link to the dairy industry video if you have it.

Enjoy your bean burgers Happy
Report Makybe_Diva June 3, 2018 8:39 PM BST
Sorry for typos Blush
Report DenzilPenberthy June 3, 2018 8:59 PM BST
It's the one Dr C posted nearly 8 weeks ago it's what made my mind up to change from the heavy dairy and protein consumption my eyes were sufficiently opened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJvrlwnEqbs
Report DenzilPenberthy June 3, 2018 9:00 PM BST
Enjoy your bean burgers

Thanks they were ok so I'm going to look for better quality ones now.
Report Makybe_Diva June 3, 2018 9:04 PM BST
Report back when you find some then Happy

Thanks for the link. I'm nearly out of battery power. I will watch it tomorrow.
Report Makybe_Diva June 4, 2018 7:45 PM BST
I've just watched the dairy video. Dr McDougall is a very good speaker.

I've thought for years that cows milk is only suitable for baby cows but that video was still shocking. Lot's that I didn't know.

I see what you mean about the added calcium in almond milk. I will limit my intake  of it to less than one carton a week.

I'll maybe look into rice milk again. I used to like rice milk on porridge, I can't remember why I switched to almond milk Confused
Report Makybe_Diva June 4, 2018 7:54 PM BST
I'm going to buy some of this Happy

Rice Dream
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/252098117

I used to have Rice Dream. Except I had the one with added calcium Crazy
Report DenzilPenberthy June 4, 2018 8:27 PM BST
Cheers MD that looks more like it nothing added,I've just been shopping and have seen a few veggie burgers ready made that look nice but I'll keep them in mind for treats as I'm keeping the fat as low as possible at the moment but good to know they're available.
Report Makybe_Diva June 4, 2018 8:50 PM BST
I'm going to have a look at the Tesco Free From range tomorrow. I thought it was just gluten free but some of the products are vegan friendly.

I'll have to look carefully at the labels tho'. Just because something is vegan doesn't mean it isn't processed junk.

I found these earlier Love
https://www.friars.co.uk/chocolate-for-vegans-c165/vegan-t139
Report DenzilPenberthy June 4, 2018 9:47 PM BST
They look very nice plenty of good nutrition in the 85% ones too.
Report Makybe_Diva June 5, 2018 8:26 AM BST
I think I might be sending them an order. I like the look of the dark chocolate bar with berries, and the ginger chocolates Love

Here's a free health magazine
http://www.mynaturallifestyle.co.uk/imag/nljune2018/

These magazines are usually trying to get you to buy stuff that you don't actually need but interesting reading nonetheless.

I'm off to Tesco this morning in search of vegan chocolate Excited
Report Makybe_Diva June 5, 2018 12:02 PM BST
I knew I'd come back with a load of cr@p! Crazy

I've bought Alpro Soya single cream, organic rice drink, Nairn chocolate chip cookies, Tesco Free From Milk, White and and Milk Choc 'n' Crispie Bars (I bought all three for research purposes)

That was all ok, then I found the Tesco Free From Toffee and Vanilla Ice Cream Cones, so had some of those too! Shocked

And who knew about Livia's Kitchen?!
I bought some Raw Millionaire Salted Date Caramel Bites. I love Millionaire shortbread so I guess this is a healthy version. A bit pricey at £1.50 for three little bites. That's all they had of the Livia's Kitchen range.

I'll not be eating all this today, in case you were wondering Blush

Here's a link to Livia's Kitchen Love
https://liviaskitchen.co.uk/
Report boxingthefox June 5, 2018 12:03 PM BST
Save some for me, Love
Report DenzilPenberthy June 5, 2018 12:08 PM BST
You'll be testing your will power MD Grin
Report DenzilPenberthy June 5, 2018 3:53 PM BST
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297597777

I can strongly recommend this vegetable chilli will go with most things or on it's own I've just had a tin with jacket potatoes,should be able to get it from around a £1 anywhere.
Report Makybe_Diva June 5, 2018 5:37 PM BST

Jun 5, 2018 -- 6:03AM, boxingthefox wrote:

Save some for me,

Well I've had one of the Free From Chocolate bars, it was very disappointing so I'm sending you the other two Grin

Report Makybe_Diva June 5, 2018 5:51 PM BST

Jun 5, 2018 -- 6:08AM, DenzilPenberthy wrote:

You'll be testing your will power MD

It certainly will be, with all that lot in the house.

I've just eaten the Milionaire shortbread bites Blush They were very nice Happy

I'm amost always doing the 6/18 fast.
So there's not a lot of damage I can do when only eating in a six hour window.
Nothing for me now until 12.30 tomorrow.

Report Makybe_Diva June 5, 2018 5:57 PM BST

Jun 5, 2018 -- 9:53AM, DenzilPenberthy wrote:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297597777I can strongly recommend this vegetable chilli will go with most things or on it's own I've just had a tin with jacket potatoes,should be able to get it from around a £1 anywhere.

Thanks, Denzil. You've just reminded me that I have a small tin of red kidney beans in chilli sauce, in the cupboard.
I don't know why I bought them because I don't care much for chilli.   

I'll have them with a baked potato on Friday Happy

Report dunlaying June 6, 2018 3:28 PM BST
I have been on a fish diet . Weight has been lost but more importantly I feel great for eating no meat or poultry .
Report DenzilPenberthy June 6, 2018 5:08 PM BST
Nice one dunlaying Happy
I've been off meat,dairy and poultry + low fat since 28th March (just checked) lost weight and feel very good most of the time.
I owe Dr Crippen a big drink for his posts on the George Alagiah thread they've made a big difference without them I'd be still on and off keto pi$$ing away top dollar on organic farm shop meat and dairy thinking I was improving my health.
Report Dr Crippen June 10, 2018 6:53 PM BST
I always considered cows milk as an essential part of anyone's diet, and firmly believed for many years that it should be taken for its source of calcium. 
That was after reading a case where an alternative doctor had advised a mother not to give their child milk.
The child was diagnosed some time later with a calcium deficiency.
And of course the full weight of regular medical opinion was directed at the alternative doctor for giving that advice
When if his medical knowledge had been more extensive he could have easily knocked that one out clean out of the park.     
Yet to this day, most people believe the marketing about drinking milk for its calcium.

Here's the startling truth, and all backed by studies conducted by the milk producers themselves which they never talk about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwKUvlypQOM
Report DenzilPenberthy June 29, 2018 3:04 AM BST
A short video from Dr McDougall on Soy which is interesting if you're buying any of the Meat replacement products.
There are other links on the side which are great in the same short format on a variety of foods this guy gives away so much knowledge for free,top bloke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu2OjHvXFVw
Report Makybe_Diva June 29, 2018 7:42 AM BST
Yes, he's spot on with that, Denzil. I think I said earlier on this thread that I try to avoid soy, that includes natural soy for me, too.

I Have eaten two eggs this week. Was missing my eggs

I'm off the soya cream and having a very small amount of real cream instead. I buy the squirty stuff in a can Crazy

I bought some Kerrygold Butter too Love

I had pork chops yesterday but that with a cooking group that I take part in for my job.

I am managing to eat mostly plant based food and I'm no longer avoiding potatoes.

I had two red velvet cupcakes last weekend Blush

They were ok. Not sure what all the fuss is about with them. A waste of 650 calories Blush

I'm not doing very well reall am I? Plain

It's difficult because I thought I had found the perfect healthy way of eating for me, and have stuck with it for years, give or take the odd cupcake, and I felt great on it.

It's the eggs I miss most. That's why they are creeping back in.

How are you getting on with Dr McDougall''s way of eating, Denzil?
Report DenzilPenberthy June 29, 2018 2:08 PM BST
I'm doing great MD thanks for asking.
I had started eating potatoes again but started getting a stiff neck and niggles returned to my back (used to have back and sciatic issues) also at the time was eating chilli mixes or bolognese mixes so thought it must be the food and found some interesting stuff on Knightshades Devil

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/food-features/nightshades/

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/nightshades/

So I reverted back to basics wholegrain rice (flavoured in packets),flavoured quinoa,cereals,beans,spelt bread,low fat fish,fruit and veg whenever and added pea protein powder and the occasional Mars Bar on exercise days as I wassn't eating enough because I'm never hungry.

You could try a Monday,Wednesday,Friday egg meal and avoid fats like the plague on everything else or even a meal with fat in on a nominal day basis?.
Are you still on a 6 hour fast? How are you finding it?
Report DenzilPenberthy June 29, 2018 2:08 PM BST
wasn't*
Report Makybe_Diva June 29, 2018 9:10 PM BST
Some interesting reading there.

I had heard that potatoes belonged to the nightshade family and the link with arthritis.

I'm still eating in a six hour window most days. I can easily go without breakfast. I didn't eat until teatime 5.00pm today, I've been busy.

I've had a jacket potato, witn a tiny bit of butter and a small tin of red kidney beans in chilli sauce.

Then I had a cappuccino, topped with marshmallows, and a 25gram bar of Lindt chocolate with orange filling Love

That works out at around 800 calories. Not very good nutritionally but there you go.

Tomorrow I will be eating more but I rarely go over 1,200 calories if I can help it.
Report pixie June 30, 2018 3:31 PM BST
I started the 5:2 on Monday and have lost 6lbs already. I am really liking it and I have learned an awful lot about how many calories there are in different foods - something I knew nothing about before! I am trying to lose 2 stone, so not masses but found the second fasting day so much easier than the first one and am eating much less than I normally would do on my non fasting days.
Report Jack Hacksaw June 30, 2018 3:38 PM BST
That seems to be the way of it, pixie.  It was a big learning curve for me re calories in food.

It does become easier.  I find I get peckish around 11.30 which goes off and then have dinner about half six.

One meal a day is fine.  Plenty of meals for around 600 calories.

Two stone is a lot to lose unless you are very heavy!
Report pixie June 30, 2018 4:06 PM BST
14 stone down to 12 stone, Jack, according to my app - which is 'MY Weight' and I'm finding very helpful and would recommend!
Report Jack Hacksaw June 30, 2018 4:37 PM BST
Right.  I would suggest weighing yourself once a week, cos otherwise, it  probably depends on where you are on your 5:2....
Report pixie June 30, 2018 4:40 PM BST
Yeh, but weighing yourself in the morning is the best and only good part of the diet. Depriving myself of the satisfaction of finding out I've lost another pound or two would be counter productive, I reckon.
Report Dr Crippen July 1, 2018 11:16 AM BST
Glancing through a mail order catalogue that came through the post some trousers caught my eye.
Looking at the sizes I noticed that the smallest waist measurement in all the ones I looked at was 32''.

So the cheap end of the tailoring market for middle aged people has stopped catering for people who aren't fat?
Looks like it to me.  The new normal is now to be overweight.
Report DenzilPenberthy July 4, 2018 12:28 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOj4rzSkqok

This is a MUST WATCH definitely worth taking the time.
Report Mr.Anderson July 4, 2018 9:02 AM BST

Jul 1, 2018 -- 5:16AM, Dr Crippen wrote:

Glancing through a mail order catalogue that came through the post some trousers caught my eye.Looking at the sizes I noticed that the smallest waist measurement in all the ones I looked at was 32''. So the cheap end of the tailoring market for middle aged people has stopped catering for people who aren't fat?Looks like it to me.  The new normal is now to be overweight.

In the town where I live it's very common that 32" waist is the smallest size. One shop sometimes has 31" in some models. My size is 30" Sad So I have to order my trousers on the internet (the 21st century version of mail order). My BMI is 18.75, which is supposed to be "normal", but it's very rare among middle aged men in the western world. A BMI of 40+ is more common, which is "very severly obese" Sad

BMI 18.5-20 "normal" healthy weight, but in some parts of the world so rare that you might have a hard time finding trousers that fit you
BMI 20-25    normal  healthy weight, and you'll probably not have too much trouble finding trousers that fit you
BMI 25-40   finding trousers that fit you should be very easy

Report Mr.Anderson July 4, 2018 9:23 AM BST
If I doubled my weight I would probably have an easier time finding clothes that fit me! Going for a jog now Happy (I'm pretty much built like a marathon runner.)
Report Dr Crippen July 4, 2018 11:00 AM BST
We know that fat people are unhealthy.
But there's more to healthy weight than a BMI within the normal range.   

Many people who do not appear fat, can have plenty of fat around their organs which puts them at greater risk than people who are well overweight, but carry their fat on the outside with little around the vital organs.
Which explains why slim people still get heart disease, diabetes and other stuff.
It depends on what they eat.

The culprits for this serious internal fat can be alcohol and fructose according to this informative video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckN6WM6MeJI
Report Dr Crippen July 4, 2018 11:04 AM BST
At the beginning of the video there's a bit about why the Akins diet works and why the opposite diet called the Japanese diet also works.
It's because they both eliminate sugar.
Report DenzilPenberthy July 4, 2018 2:11 PM BST
Yet our rich Western society advocates the only things that don't work and force us into disease.
Report DenzilPenberthy July 4, 2018 3:57 PM BST
Copy Dr McDougall and you can't miss.
Report DenzilPenberthy July 4, 2018 6:22 PM BST
He includes more fats than Dr McDougall who's philosphy is starch based the similarities between low protein,low fat,no meat and dairy are key to all,avoid the Western diet and we'll be fine.
Report DenzilPenberthy July 4, 2018 6:40 PM BST
I just look at the stuff online there is an unholy amount as you click on one thing you get links to more and more just go to the McDougall site or search him on YouTube.
Report Makybe_Diva July 4, 2018 7:28 PM BST
This looks good, Fozzybear.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Healthiest-Diet-Planet-Love-Pizza-Preventing/dp/0062426761/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1530728729&sr=8-5&keywords=mcdougall+cookbook
Report betting_masta July 4, 2018 10:16 PM BST

Jul 4, 2018 -- 9:34AM, fozzybear wrote:

Ideally, I need to shift a stone and a half. I've been treating myself to too many Madras's from Just Eat lately as well as getting addicted to cheese with garlic and chives!  What would you recommend? I'm thinking of doing a week of:3 weetabix and raw porridge oats.2 apples.250g FAGE 0% Greek yoghurt.I've already cut out sugar.

exercise.

Report TheBaron July 5, 2018 10:05 AM BST
Deny yourself nothing, its not what you eat its the amount, eating off smaller plates and bowls tricks your brain into thinking you're eating more than you are.  Same with drinks.  Keep processed food to a minimum.  Never buy anything that says low fat.
Report Dr Crippen July 5, 2018 10:51 AM BST
3 weetabix and raw porridge oats.2 apples.250g FAGE 0% Greek yoghurt.

Good, but cut out the yogurt.

When we eat, the carbs are turned to glycogen which is stored in the liver and used during the day.
Any fat in the meal is turned into body fat where it stays until we run out of glycogen.
Usually sometime during the night, or never in the case of others who eat late.

We don't burn body fat and carbs at the same time.

If we exercise we have to use up our store of glycogen before any fat burning can take place. 
That's why people fail to lose weight through exercise alone.
30% of fructose is turned to fat and the worst kind.

So the best way to lose weight and the healthiest as well, is not to cut down on carbs, but to stop adding to body fat through eating dietary fats and sugar.
Report Dr Crippen July 5, 2018 11:08 AM BST
The first step to losing weight is to get rid of your insatiable appetite which is caused through cravings for sugar.

Cut out the sugar by way of cakes biscuits ice cream and everything else with added sugar and you're almost there. You've also taken out plenty of fat as well doing that.

Alcohol and sugar are closely linked so beware of alcohol.
Report lmfao July 5, 2018 11:34 AM BST
The best way to lose weight is to reduce calories intake- and the best way to do that is to reduce appetite and then only eat when hungry - and the best way to do that is to eat nothing but pure fats

some protein and greens.

i'm doing this now:

Yesterday 5 eggs in butter at 10pm - fresh garden  mint in an omelette works for me ! Vitamin pill with food.

My next meal might be tonight , might not - cheese with a slice of butter or salted dripping

My next sugar intake will be a piece of wedding cake in few weeks time.
No exercise .
Report Jack Hacksaw July 5, 2018 11:38 AM BST
I fail to comprehend people supposedly on a diet who will 'snack' between meals.

The petrol station lists 'Snacking' as a range of products they sell.

Don't people have any willpower?

I dont think exercise as such is that important.  Just remain fairly active and not sedentary.
Report Dr Crippen July 5, 2018 11:57 AM BST
I agree with that imfoa, except I'd have written the quickest way without fasting not the best way.

The best way in my suggestion was intended for life.
I wouldn't recommend sticking to a high fat diet for too long after the weight has come off.
Report Dr Crippen July 5, 2018 12:00 PM BST
Jack, I believe snacking between meals is caused through cravings for sugar.

Which is the main stumbling block for any diet that includes sugar.
Report lmfao July 5, 2018 12:39 PM BST
Dr C

I think we concur !
Cool
Report DenzilPenberthy July 5, 2018 2:57 PM BST
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/jun/sugar.htm
Report Dr Crippen July 5, 2018 4:33 PM BST
In attempting weight loss under any dietary regime, cutting back on added sugar is a major step.

30% of fructose goes straight into making body fat, you can take on hundreds of calories per day from simply drinking fruit juices with added sugar. Most processed food comes with loads of added sugar.
These calories do nothing to curb our appetites, taking sugar in this way is simply adding fat.

What Dr McDougall proposes in his newsletter from the link supplied by Denzil above falls far short of shovelling down the sugar as most people do.   
But his newsletter is not about losing weight.
Report Dr Crippen July 7, 2018 1:46 PM BST
The way Dr McDougall lays into the animal foods industry for playing down the harmful effects on our bodies from consuming animal products should startle everyone. And he's far from alone with his opinions.

The idea that consuming foods which contain a lot of protein is good for us is completely unfounded, and the opposite is the proven case.
Report DenzilPenberthy July 7, 2018 2:25 PM BST
Indeed,we have all been lied to and forced into premature illness and death with unimaginable life saving/changing implications completely avoidable for humanity as proven by the living corpses Walter Kempner cured in the 40's.
Report TheBaron July 10, 2018 4:08 PM BST
It must be true...I read it on the internet!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now