Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Sica Dan
10 Mar 18 21:58
Date Joined: 06 Oct 00
| Topic/replies: 2,803 | Blogger: Sica Dan's blog
There was about a dozen protesters outside the stadium carrying large yellow placards with slogans
like 'You gamble,they die'  'Dogs spend 23 hours a day in their kennels' etc
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Protest at Shawfield Dogs
Show More
Report xmoneyx March 10, 2018 10:59 PM GMT
a large billboard , edinburgh also
Report David Fishwick Minibus Sales March 10, 2018 11:51 PM GMT
big protest at ebbings; meeting called off
Report Sica Dan March 11, 2018 9:33 AM GMT
this is themat Henlow
Report flushgordon1 March 11, 2018 9:41 AM GMT
Set the farkin dogs on em.
Report DenzilPenberthy March 11, 2018 12:51 PM GMT
Obviously I'm against any cruelty to animals like anyone else but does anybody who owns or has owned dogs have an honest view of how bad the situation is.
There seems to be plenty retired racers around my area but that could be coincidental and the people I knew that had dogs kept them as pets afterwards.
I would presume the cruelty will come from non dog people who've been trying to make a few quid somewhere and failed so give some spineless chitbag £20 to put a bolt through their heads,or cut the ears of stolen dogs in case they get traced.
Report Sica Dan March 11, 2018 2:19 PM GMT
I can recall dogs being given sleeping pills but this is rather different....

Stuart Mason, advertised on Owlerton Stadium's website as one of its professional trainers, faces a Greyhound Board of Great Britain inquiry after his dog Droopys Arshavin tested positive for the Class A drug after a race at Wimbledon on August 3. A spokesman for the Greyhound Board of Great Britain, which governs licensed racing, confirmed Mr Mason is under investigation. His case is expected to be heard next month. Owlerton Stadium confirmed Mr Mason, from Wakefield, is "attached" and regularly races dogs there. Droopys Arshavin was at the track the week after the positive drug test. Trainers elsewhere have been found to have useds drugs, including cocaine and amphetamines, in a bid to make dogs run faster.

Read more at:
Report moisok March 11, 2018 2:53 PM GMT
Is this another example of the tail trying to wag the dog?
Report dunlaying March 11, 2018 3:23 PM GMT
Cruelty in dog racing ? Just a little .LaughLaughLaugh
Report akabula March 11, 2018 3:27 PM GMT
Most dogs when they come to an end of their racing careers are put down.
Certainly true of the flappers but rules dogs getting some respite.
Report casemoney March 11, 2018 3:34 PM GMT
Protesters are Idiots but sadly there have been some bad apples attached to the sport  over the years ,that give these types the Ammo they need ..

The current set up regarding bags racing is not helping either ,the sport has been in Decline for years to the extent that I would be surprised if it still exists in 20 years .
Report dunlaying March 11, 2018 3:38 PM GMT
Many dogs are destroyed before they are 2 years old . I am not sure of the figures but more refuse to chase than people realise.
These unfortunate pups are invariably put down .
Report DenzilPenberthy March 11, 2018 4:10 PM GMT
I didn't realise things were still so bad these days Sad
Report maleuk01. March 11, 2018 5:30 PM GMT
I have owned several racing greyhounds.

None fortunately had a serious injury on the track and everyone was found a good home at the end of their racing career's. Even if it meant paying kennel bills for a few months until we found somewhere.

I also visted the kennel a few times an helped out for a week when the trainer was not so mobile.

They where incredibly well looked after, 2 meals a day, including, salmon, chicken, beef all in gravy etc. Properly cooked meals.

Exercised every day, but they are lazy so after running around for a few minutes they jump back on their beds by themselves.

Clean bedding, warm kennels, very well treated.

Groomed every day and a longer groom on racedays.

Anything slightly wrong with them, then down the vets. I should know with the vet bills we used to get.

There was 1 dog in the kennel who had finished racing but was unsuitable as a pet due to him snapping. So was just kept there for life.

Trainer was Richard Yeates by the way.

I guess in all walks of life good and bad apples in every industry.
Report casemoney March 11, 2018 5:32 PM GMT
Spot On
Report casemoney March 11, 2018 5:33 PM GMT
I ownded 2 myself One came home with me the Other went to My Bro in law ,,
Report DenzilPenberthy March 11, 2018 5:33 PM GMT
Thanks for posting maleuk01.
Report ufcdan March 11, 2018 6:49 PM GMT
I worked as a head lad thirty years ago. Why would you abuse an animal valued at 40k Crazy
Report Sica Dan March 11, 2018 7:59 PM GMT
I'm Currently reading Harry Findlay's book, he paid £11k for Chicita Banana !! No surprise that his fav dog
was Ballyregan Bob.
Report maleuk01. March 11, 2018 8:23 PM GMT
They once had a protest outside my local track. I asked them if any of them would like to go to the kennels and see how the dogs are well looked after.

Of course they where not interested.

They just wanted to protest without knowing the facts.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 11, 2018 9:02 PM GMT
Had Mrs. Doyle (from Father Ted) impeding my passage, waving a placard and shouting at me that I should be ashamed of myself while trying to walk into Shelbourne on Derby Final night. Told her to get the fack out of my face the hypocritical cant as she had been in the bloody paper before at the dogs Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Instance ID: 13539

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now