Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
13 Jan 18 19:14
| Topic/replies: 1,339 | Blogger: darren_discombobulates_sports's blog
Has anyone been on  a fixed term tenancy and more to the point, have you been moved on at the end of a fixed term tenancy because you were earning much ?

And also, would you recommend going down this route, seems to provide insecurity?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Fixed Term Tenancies ?
Show More
Report darren_discombobulates_sports January 13, 2018 7:18 PM GMT
sorry that should have been earning 'too' much, think some landlords have a maximum limit before deciding to move you on?
Report bix January 14, 2018 6:05 PM GMT
Irrelevant whether it's fixed term or periodic. You can still get asked to leave with 2 month's notice. But if you've been a good tenant and paid the rent on time the landlord won't want you to leave.
Report bungalow bill January 14, 2018 6:24 PM GMT
How would the landlord know what you were earning at the end of your tenancy?

I'd have thought that most landlords would be happy you were earning "too much" because you could then certainly pay the rent.

I have no idea what any of our tenants are earning now, and I don't want to know, or care, so long as they pay the rent, so I can pay the mortgage.
Report TheBaron January 14, 2018 6:27 PM GMT
so long as they pay the rent, so I can pay the mortgage.

..and in a nutshell there's what's wrong with the BTL market.
Report unitedbiscuits January 14, 2018 6:28 PM GMT
And the country.
Report bix January 14, 2018 6:47 PM GMT
Are yo saying landlords shouldn't have mortgages?
Report Dr Crippen January 14, 2018 7:11 PM GMT
UB thinks landlords shouldn't be allowed air to breathe let alone mortgages.
Report bix January 14, 2018 7:23 PM GMT
UB probably thinks we should go back to the situation prior to the 1957 Rent Act when landlords couldn't get rid of tenants or charge market rents resulting of course in an almost complete absence of private rented accommodation other than a few grotty furnished flats.
Report bix January 14, 2018 7:24 PM GMT
Sorry. Make that the 1987 Housing Act.
Report Hamsterdam January 14, 2018 7:49 PM GMT
Odd question from OP the L/L wouldn't give a **** so long as rent is being paid, and if you are earning more come a renewal and insisting on re-referencing (which is quite rare in itself) they aren't going to turn you away for earning more.

As for going down this route, one mans insecurity is another man's freedom. Letting gives you freedom to move when you like (given 30 day notice at end of tenancy) buying/selling gives you less freedom of course.

Most L/L are c unts though especially those BTL who turn a 3 bed into a 6 bed HMO and rent at the LHA rate AngryAngry
Report darren_discombobulates_sports January 14, 2018 8:01 PM GMT
sorry I should have been clearer

The prospective landlord is a Housing Association who are offering a 6 year fixed term tenancy, after 5 years and 6 months, they review your status, i.e. rent history, income etc, if you are earning above a certain amount it seems they then ask you to surrender your tenancy, in other words you would then have to go into private renting, the HA rent is 80% of market value. Obviously it's better than private renting, but doesn't offer security as if you are earning above that certain amount towards the end of the tenancy you have to upsticks and leave, which could mean job changes, school changes etc if you have to move further afield.  Seems to be a common thing amongst HA nowawadays not to offer assured tenancy agreements, would not be surprised if local councils began doing the same as well as completely scrapping RTB. Think some have already done so.
Report unitedbiscuits January 14, 2018 8:01 PM GMT
Four measures to reform the housing market.
1) Scrap btl tax-relief tomorrow.
2) Reform tax. Prevent landlords dodging tax by registering as businesses (with 15 properties) . Rental income should be taxed at source like other unearned income.
3) Make landlords liable for Council Tax and double it every six months a property is empty.
4) Reform the broken LHA market.
Report Hamsterdam January 14, 2018 9:25 PM GMT
dds, not heard of that before but doesn't surprise me. Hard to get a life-long tenancy these days. It would seem they would indeed boot you out based on what you've said.

The 80% thing is the affordable rent scheme isn't it? Is it a new build?
Report STUDYFORM January 14, 2018 10:06 PM GMT
Private rental doesn't seem to work the same as HA or council.

For example - and it's causing me grief - Yesterday I got a letter from my (private) landlord telling me the house is going on the open market for sale, (his mum who was v old and owned it, died a few months ago). There is no security of tenure.

Now we have the fecking problem of paying all the ridiculous agency fees and finding removal costs and deposit etc, within 2 months,
That's assuming we can find somewhere.

All these issues are because of a HUGE LACK of houses and building.
imo - renting property shouldn't be a business opportunity. I reckon it's in part because so many MPs (all parties) are landlords that the situation is as bad as it is.
Report moonaxed January 14, 2018 10:56 PM GMT
My landlady has 2 properties she rents out.Both hmo. There's 8 flats in one in north London and 5 in West London property. She's registered as a business calling it an interiors designer probably to claim back her vat. She charges 100 per flat per month and everyone
Report moonaxed January 14, 2018 11:04 PM GMT
Continuing.... pays own council tax.my divorce settlement money came through in September and after a lot of jumping through hoops I'm about to complete on a b and b in sunny old Blackpool. The fuss she's creating since giving my notice is unreal despite 26thousand pounds finding its way into her account without any late payment I cancelled my standing order for the last month rent believing my deposit could be used as I don't trust her to return all of my money. Anyway I had to take a cheque made payable to agents in the whenthreatening me with legal action against me in case she gets marked down on her credit rating!!!
Report mega88 January 14, 2018 11:16 PM GMT
Move to Scotland, you can get a house for a years rent down here on the South coast
Report moonaxed January 14, 2018 11:25 PM GMT
Blackpool is Glasgow  by the sea
Report STUDYFORM January 15, 2018 2:51 PM GMT
moonaxed,
GL with the B&B, an income with no commuting and an opportunity to make a living.
Not easy, but it beats paying a charlatan for nothing, in London.
Report Dr Crippen January 15, 2018 4:32 PM GMT
I'm not surprised they threatened you with legal action moonaxed.

The deposit is there to pay for any damage you might do to the property, including moving out and leaving it dirty.

Doing a runner without paying the rent is another thing that need to be criminalised to protect the landlord against rogue tenants.
Report 1st time poster January 15, 2018 4:41 PM GMT
think trump would be spot on ,in naming blackpool an absolute shoitehole
Report annie. January 15, 2018 5:05 PM GMT
moonaxed, how long have you been renting from her?

Since about 2007, I think, deposit money has been protected.  She should have put the deposit money in a protection scheme and pay you out within ten days of you leaving.  If you cannot agree about the deposit the scheme will decide.  I think they can also order her to pay you 3x the deposit money and you don't have to leave if she hasn't done this.  But check online, it is ages since i have been involved in stuff like that.
Report moonaxed January 15, 2018 6:07 PM GMT
Dr.crippen..I have no intention of doing a runner.muy deposit monies total six weeks rent and I am giving 4 weeks notice. Net gain in her favour was 340 quid. No damage,No dirt.done numerous jobs for the woman also includes dealing with rodents like u
Report moonaxed January 15, 2018 6:21 PM GMT
I am considering taking legal action against her for harassment and intimidation,have plenty of evidence on my phone and had lunch with exgf who working in very busy and very legit estate agents,showed her one message only asking her point of view and she immediately said I should keep that and use it.Shambles of a situation. Earlier poster commenting about Blackpool being a **** was accurate up to 4 years ago not now my friend.when high speed rail network line opens 2020 3 hours direct to London happy days
Report moonaxed January 15, 2018 6:25 PM GMT
Annie...thank you for your input.money is in deposit scheme....I will be perusing all legal avenues if my money is not returned in full
Report bix January 15, 2018 6:43 PM GMT
That's why the landlord asks for 6 weeks rent as a deposit. At least when the tenant pulls the stunt of not paying the last month's rent, which they do all too often, the landlord still has a little to compensate for the damage, dirty cooker/shower, overgrown garden etc.
Report unitedbiscuits January 15, 2018 7:28 PM GMT
Accidentally pour cement in the toilet (nap).
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now