Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Platini
10 Jan 18 22:11
| Topic/replies: 20,287 | Blogger: Platini's blog
he never did when he was leader of the Lib Dems but now he's out in the wild, he's suddenly speaking freely and making sense

from the BBC
"Liberalism "isn't very liberal any more" and "has eaten itself", Mr Farron said, adding that "many who declare themselves to be liberals really aren't".
"People talk about shared values today. But when they do, what they mean is 'These are my values - and I am going to act as though they are also yours, and will demonstrate contempt for you if you depart from them.'"
Mr Farron criticised social media too, saying it had been "naive" to think a decade ago the medium would lead to a "greater democracy".
Instead, he said, it had led to "groupthink, pack mentality and depressing conformity", with society "hooked on self esteem and self worth".
"Five minutes on social media will give you a window into a society that condemns and judges, that leaps to take offence and pounces to cause it.."

I'm shocked at how much he has nailed it here. where have you been all this time Mr Fallon?  welcome back to the sane side Cool
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Tim Farron making sense, for once
Show More
Report moisok January 10, 2018 10:17 PM GMT
Goodness!!!
Report Pleasegivemeanailedontip January 10, 2018 10:30 PM GMT
Hes basically described himself hasnt he?

Isnt liberal, jumped on a bandwagon, extreme views etc
Report Just Checking January 10, 2018 10:48 PM GMT
Wow he has nailed it, I totally expected to read more pompous soap boxing but he's spot on.
"groupthink, pack mentality and depressing conformity". " society that condemns and judges, that leaps to take offence and pounces to cause it."
100% spot on, absolutely couldn't be more correct.

I'm really wondering how destructive "social media" is for our society? The stream of bad coming from it just never stops.
Just read this heartbreaking story in many papers today. Yet another suicide by some teenaged bullied on social media:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/10/australian-girl-face-iconic-akubra-hat-commits-suicide-aged/
Report Just Checking January 10, 2018 10:52 PM GMT
How many social media angry mobs have we had this year alone and it's only the second week of January?
I'm off to buy an H&M Cheeky Monkey T shirt!
Report Just Checking January 10, 2018 10:53 PM GMT
Re that story you can just imagine nasty teenagers seeing some pretty girl getting attention and some limelight and being jealous scumbags sticking the verbal knife in.
Social media allows that to never stop, and be there every time they look at their phone so it won't go away.
Report Injera January 11, 2018 8:55 AM GMT
Wow, just wow. Just goes to show what politics does to people. For Farron to expose liberalism for what it is whilst still being an MP is quite something.

Cable has already distanced himself from Farron.
Report Injera January 11, 2018 8:57 AM GMT
"People talk about shared values today. But when they do, what they mean is 'These are my values - and I am going to act as though they are also yours, and will demonstrate contempt for you if you depart from them.'"

That sums up the BBC. Impossible to have expressed it any better.
Report saddo January 11, 2018 9:11 AM GMT
"Liberalism "isn't very liberal any more" and "has eaten itself", Mr Farron said, adding that "many who declare themselves to be liberals really aren't".

I've had a look at the Grauniad, I don't think they posted the passage above, too close to home perhaps.
Report Foinavon January 11, 2018 12:20 PM GMT
He has eloquently expressed the reasons why so many of us despair at the way things are going these days.
Well done Tim.
Report Slicer January 11, 2018 12:31 PM GMT
Leviticus 18:22.End of story. Any man of the cloth MUST be against homosexuality as the Bible says so. It is NOT open to interpretation otherwise we can start interpreting "Though shall not kill!"
Report Dr Crippen January 11, 2018 12:50 PM GMT
Sounds like Farron has changed his tune as a result of his own brand of liberalism coming back to bite him.

His attempts at overthrowing the Brexit result show how much he respects the views of other people.
Report Foinavon January 11, 2018 12:52 PM GMT
They already do, Slicer, Ecclesiastes 3:3. It's possible that other peaceful religions have a view on this too.
Report Foinavon January 11, 2018 12:57 PM GMT
The Word of God is very clear, or not, as the case may be.
Report Slicer January 11, 2018 1:15 PM GMT
Foinavon- I hope you are not referring to the religion whose followers include a lot of "mentally ill people of Asian heritage"!
Report Foinavon January 11, 2018 1:34 PM GMT
I couldn't possibly comment, Dr Slicer.
All religions are equal and are all true, we must respect the word of the Supreme Being.
Report 1st time poster January 11, 2018 1:35 PM GMT
so does this mean he,s stopped trying to impose his views on brexit onto 17 million people who disagree with him, Laugh
Report 1st time poster January 11, 2018 1:39 PM GMT
code for
because of social media,24hr newes etc we the political class. him included can now no longer treat people like mushrooms and feed them shoite and tell them whats good for them, Laugh
Report Foinavon January 11, 2018 1:39 PM GMT
That will be the day, 1TP Laugh
Report moisok January 11, 2018 1:43 PM GMT
wot wiv the biased broken record anti brexit/laugh at trumpton old tat they repeat on sky!!  all laughing and giggling amongst themselves in their little journo bubble 

I know it is not fashionable or de jour, but I sometimes go on to aljazeera on the hour to see the huge difference in what is news!!!
Report lfc1971 January 11, 2018 1:51 PM GMT
get off your soap box Farron
Report Ibrahima Sonko January 11, 2018 7:56 PM GMT
This article is worth a read.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/415468-tolerance-intolerance-racism-sexism/
Report SlippyBlue January 11, 2018 9:10 PM GMT
I just read that I.S. Quite disturbing really, what ever happened to the world that I knew growing up as a kid in London? I'm lucky in so far as I don't have extremism on my doorstep but I despair sometimes at what has become of our green and pleasant land.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now