Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
1st time poster
08 Jan 18 14:46
| Topic/replies: 27,629 | Blogger: 1st time poster's blog
women resigns then appears for the bbc alongside a bloke on 650,000 a year 6 times what she was on, think she was just sick of living in china,

sky have got 2 new dullard blokes on morning news,does anyone really believe these 2 men are getting the same as kay burley doing the same job
Share |
Show More
Report moisok January 8, 2018 2:51 PM GMT
depends what job they are 'doing' and what job dear old kay is doing

it all depends on who is doing the doing

the best today so far was the minutes and minutes of drivel interviewing a so called 'comedian' who whinged on and on about not being able to think up any more jokes about trumpton coz they have all been done!!!!  wtf  - that is on a national news prog!!!!

hope this helps
Report 1st time poster January 8, 2018 3:13 PM GMT
well does the bloke presenting motd 2 on a sunday expect the same pay as gary lineker doing motd 1 on a Saturday,course he doesn't, bnut no doubt if a women was presenting motd 2 she,d be moaning to the papers,
you get offered the job with a numerical contract and either take it or don't,bet none of these women at the bbc say at the interview say I,ll only take the job if I bet paid the same as lineker,humphries etc
Report Just Checking January 8, 2018 5:06 PM GMT
What does this man woman expect to get paid? She was apparently the china editor? How many stories does the BBC put out about china? Not many, is it?

She was offered a 45k increase but turned it down? That's more than most people get paid in the first place! So unless it was like doubling her pay you can assume she was already on well over that? I saw her on the news - never seen her before, that's how important she is to our lives, and I watch the news regularly.

The editors of countries like the US I'd guess get paid too much, not that she gets paid too little.

The only thing that bitter tw@t John Sopel seems to do is continue his ongoing personal hate campaign against Trump, his own little Vendetta, he's incredibly biased, hates Trump, and makes not attempt to hide it. That's his job apparently.

And I'm sure for coming on the TV every couple days to say "Trump has done a bad tweet" he'll be on like 2-3 grand a day or something, at least.
Report Just Checking January 8, 2018 5:07 PM GMT
*mad
Report fife January 8, 2018 5:16 PM GMT
John Sopel is my favourite overseas presenter as he shows Trump up for the unstable loon that he is.
Report moisok January 8, 2018 5:23 PM GMT
whatever happened to proper investigative journalism?
Report Just Checking January 8, 2018 5:29 PM GMT
What value added do you think the likes of Sopel give that any of us couldn't?

Does he do any research himself, or a just read the contents of the New York Times and CNN front pages about how bad Trump is, repeat it, then go to a nice restaurant and count what is probably an obscene amount of license fee payers money?
Report Injera January 8, 2018 5:32 PM GMT
Getting fed up with this aggressive feminism. At the golden globe ceremony it was nauseating. Male shaming.

Some of the older actresses need to hang their heads in shame for doing nothing whilst the money rolled in.

As for 'equal pay', unless we see exact contract details and can find a man and a woman with the exact public profile it's all a bit silly.
Report moisok January 8, 2018 5:35 PM GMT
I am glad to see that bastion of free speech, the bbc, knows how to silence these upstart women

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/08/bbc-journalists-who-backed-carrie-gracie-face-broadcast-ban
Report moisok January 8, 2018 5:38 PM GMT
I wonder how many of these women actors have been supplicants to the great producers.
Report Injera January 8, 2018 5:46 PM GMT
From the Guardian: The North America editor, Jon Sopel, earned between £200,000 and £249,999, while the Middle East editor, Jeremy Bowen, earned between £150,000 and £199,999.

Gracie said: “My pay is £135,000. The BBC offered to raise that to £180,000. However, I was not interested in more money, I was interested in equality. I didn’t feel it was a solution.

- No offence 'Gracie' but noone recognises you or knows your name. That MAY have something to do with your 'paltry' salary...Cry
Report 1st time poster January 8, 2018 5:59 PM GMT
few of them work directly for the bbc,to get more pay they are under umberella companies,ltd company, self employed, freelancing etc,etc so there is no actual set rate for the job and they are free to strike their own deal,if your not happy don't sign.
in the name of equality in Saturday f a cup game they had a tiny women spouting shoite stood in between 2 6ft 6 blokes ,not only sounded ridiculous but looked ridiculous,for her contributiuon you,d have wanted change from the price of an oxo and a pork pie,imo,these women are all over sky,bbc reporting on matches screaming absolute shoite through the microphone and offering absolutely nothing other than their related to an ex male footballer,coach,manager etc,etc
Report Just Checking January 8, 2018 6:07 PM GMT
Oh that's totally fair than. Someone in that sprawling huge corporation we've never heard of covering the other side of the world that we can go weeks without a story from there making the news is only on 135k and would have been on 180k. My heart BLEEDS.

At least she may have had to learn Chinese, Sopel has learned how to read out a Trump tweet in a sarcastic voice. Well worth 250k.
Report Just Checking January 8, 2018 6:08 PM GMT
PS. Sopel is on significantly more than the Prime Minister. He's got such reason to be such a bitter angry sneering man...
Report jumper3 January 8, 2018 6:12 PM GMT
When I first saw this I thought she had left the BBC as a protest. Of course not. Only her role in China. Some victim. Her face is familiar but not immediately obvious as to who she is either. Bet she now quietly leaves the BBC and ends up somewhere such as CNN - on probably more than she could hope to get with Auntie.

This really is about already overpaid women wanting to be paid as much as very overpaid men. They’ll comfort themselves spouting how this will change society down the greasy pole while they pocket more filthy lucre.

I should have become a TV journalist. I’d be rolling in it now.
Report alun2005 January 8, 2018 6:16 PM GMT
Another illustration of the ludicrously overpaid men (AND women) folk of the British media. Most of them would gladly do the same job for half the pay.

A breed of people completely detached from the society they are reporting on.
Report Dr Crippen January 8, 2018 6:18 PM GMT
How can the BBC justify paying people like Sopel and Bowen that kind of money simply for sending the occasional bulletin from abroad?
What have they got some special pull with the hierarchy in the BBC?
If they cut their pay in half they'd still be getting twice what they're worth.
Report Pleasegivemeanailedontip January 8, 2018 6:18 PM GMT
I do find it amusing that she hasnt actually resigned. Just moved to another department, bless. If youre going to make a big song and dance about resigning because of your terrible work conditions then at least have the decency to actually leave the organisation.
Report fife January 8, 2018 6:28 PM GMT
I realize I will be in the minority here but in her defence I don't think she is saying she is poorly paid just that her male colleagues are being paid more for doing a similar job. I must admit I have only noticed her on the news in the last year or so when she has covered quite a few stories in China and certainly seemed very competent when questioning the Chinese hierarchy.
Report 1st time poster January 8, 2018 6:46 PM GMT
on about not been in touch with society
mentioned last week the best snowflake ever on sky, saying rising inflation due to falling pound,brexit etc,had hit home to her,when her piano tuner had put his prices up, LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh, true story
Report moisok January 8, 2018 6:53 PM GMT
she is right - it costs a bomb now - oh oops   should I have said that
erm!!!
Report Injera January 8, 2018 7:07 PM GMT
Ok, a little research:

Gracie: Editor for China 2013-

Jeremy Bowen: Middle East Correspondent 1995-2000. Middle East Editor 2005-

He has been shot at, seen colleagues killed and suffered from PTSD.

How the blazes can you compare the 2?!!!!!!!

Sopel is paid more than her cos it's America and he's been the face of numerous other tv programmes.
Report kevinglass January 8, 2018 7:54 PM GMT
Gracie also speaks Mandarin, not sure how competent Bowen's Arabic is. Though to be fair Sopel can speak English.

The point is all the overseas "Editors" should be paid similar amounts.

There should be a pay band, and within that band there could be a difference, but a 100k more for Sopel does seem excessive, so I think she has a very fair point.
Report 1st time poster January 9, 2018 11:19 AM GMT
adam boulton,and his guests on sky this morning agreed that he and kay burley shouldn't get the same pay as they don't do the same job ,but are competitors,to anyone else they do exactly the same job at a different time of the day
Report 1st time poster January 9, 2018 11:22 AM GMT
clever sensible people quite happy to present media shows today saying there should be more women,more ethnic people in the cabinet,isnt that openly sexist and racist to men and white people,not a mention if there good enough for the jobn,token gestures that women and ethnic minorities are happy to grab when it suits them
Report 1st time poster January 9, 2018 11:25 AM GMT
heard a discussion on sky sports last week saying its a disgrace that there arnt more black coaches ,managers in the game ,but they didn't come up with one name between them who they think should have an epl managers job,plenty have had a go and got sacked
Report dustybin January 9, 2018 12:03 PM GMT
- No offence 'Gracie' but noone recognises you or knows your name.

I do, she used to front the news24 programme as well as do radio shows etc, she's pretty good tbh.
Plus as has been mentioned she can speak fluent Mandarin, could you say the same about that fool why anchors BBC breakfast?

Dan Walker I think his name is, if I were that Louise Minchin (who aint great but a damn-sight better than him Id not work with him if he were given more than me)

He is always giggling like an idiot and going off piste, completely unprofessional.
This morning he tells everyone that he once heard that if you stood infront of a serving Boris Becker the tennis ball would go right through you....but he wasnt sure if its accurate...giggle.
Report dustybin January 9, 2018 12:04 PM GMT
who anchors
Report jumper3 January 9, 2018 12:14 PM GMT
dustybin, they want that type though for breakfast telly, as it's all about blending with the audience at that time of day, throw in a bit of banter as well as being a serious news programme. It used be totally serious and was losing ground to ITV, even C4 back in the day. Now they've dumbed it down a fair bit on the Beeb, or so it seems to me anyhow.
Report dustybin January 9, 2018 12:21 PM GMT
You maybe right jumper3, but quite why the BBC feels the need to compete has always been beyond me since you are forced to pay for the BBC if you want to watch ITV 'anything', so what would they do, show nothing in that slot if viewing figures were really low?

They should set their stall out to be professional and let the other channel roll about like goons if desired.
Report Injera January 10, 2018 8:37 AM GMT
Walker and Minchen have completely different roles within the BBC.

They both do the breakfast show 3 days a week. He has presented Football Focus for 8 years, covered World Cups, Final Score, done a lot of radio and worked on the News Channel.

She's done some other tv work but a lot less.

I'm not being obtuse here, it's just that unless it's proven that 2 jobs are the SAME, the public profiles are the SAME and that a pay gap is exclusively down to gender, then it's a non story.
Report Barry Conway January 10, 2018 10:08 AM GMT
She should probably just do some ju-jitsu on them until they cough up!
Report 1st time poster January 10, 2018 11:19 AM GMT
cant see a problem the bbc put a bloke in china and pay him the same as the lady that left,job done,thats the only like for like comparison you can make
Report Ramruma January 10, 2018 12:19 PM GMT
The trouble is it is not really clear -- and is still being fudged -- what exactly they are being paid for.

If it was just a standard hourly rate for reading an autocue then we could see clearly who is underpaid or overpaid, but it is also about star names, chemistry with guests, and subject matter expertise (whether football, China or the latest goings-on in the Big Brother house). And ultimately, though perhaps not as much as we'd imagine, attracting an audience -- probably easier to measure for solo radio DJs.

My own view is I do not really care. Yes women should be paid the same but I'm more worried about ordinary women in offices or shops than a handful of media types on high six or even seven figure salaries -- at that level they should be able to look after themselves.
Report lfc1971 January 10, 2018 12:47 PM GMT
Surely she is not the best qualified person for the job in China
Could the BBC not employ some bright young student from an English collage who is Chinese
And knows China and can speak Chinese ?
There must be many better qualified candidates who would be happy to do the job for less pay
Report lfc1971 January 10, 2018 12:49 PM GMT
Replace her with someone happy to work in China for the BBC
And sack her
Report pumphol. January 10, 2018 1:27 PM GMT
What I found amusing was the statement the BBC  issued saying other companies & institutions have a far wider pay gap than we do, so basically we discriminate but not as bad as others Crazy
Report Just Checking January 10, 2018 5:08 PM GMT
There is something wrong and unjust in this world, the BBC guys are overpaid then you read about this w&*ker "Logan Paul",
walking around a suicide hotspot in Japan mocking some poor dead guy hangin from a tree, for laughs, and posting the video.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/02/youtuber-logan-paul-posts-sickening-video-body-hanging-forest-15-million-subscribers-7196123/

Apparently just from stupid youtube/social media blogs with droves of idiot teenage followers he's already worth 11 million and lives in a mansion....
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now