Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Aunty Post
18 Mar 17 12:16
| Topic/replies: 12,227 | Blogger: Aunty Post's blog
I think it was Dean Martin who said he felt sorry for non drinkers as, when they got up, that was the best they would feel all day!

I'm determined to cut back but feel absolutely dreadful!

What's brought this on is I have a forthcoming event, and none of my suits come close to fitting.
I will be getting a new one, but I don't want to get one till I slim down a bit.

Thursday I had only one glass of wine, and went to bed at 10:00 and slept soundly till 0:530.

Went back and slept till after 09:00.

More normally, I would be up until between 11 and 10 and, aside for a couple of bathroom visits, I would get up around 07:00 and feel absolutely fine.

I felt absolutely dreadful and didn't come round till after 12:00.

Same again last night, except just got up at 10:30, and feel even worse than yesterday.
I mean I have gone from sleeping for seven hours (including bathroom breaks) and feeling fine, to twelve hours and feeling wrecked!

I can't recall having a hangover, that affected how I was all day, but right now I feel like I was hammered!

I suppose folks will talk of withdrawal symptoms, but this is not what I would have expected, and perhaps I should have cut back gradually!

Have any of you most worldly people experienced anything like this?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Life "On The Wagon".....
Show More
Report Aunty Post March 18, 2017 11:19 AM GMT
sorry a typo which was to be expected....slept soundly till 05:30.
Report GoOnThen March 18, 2017 11:30 AM GMT
Stick with it. My booze free year was one of my most enjoyable. Try cutting caffeine out after midday.I find a cup or Clipper Sleep easy tea helps with getting a good nights kip.
Report Dr Crippen March 18, 2017 11:35 AM GMT
If you cut something out of your diet that was making you ill will usually suffer withdrawal symptoms.

This withdrawal stage is extra evidence that it was making you ill.
You'll soon be okay 3 -10 days.

As long as you don't overindulge drinking alcohol, it's more likely to be what comes with it that was making you ill.

Comes under food intolerance.
Report boxingthefox March 18, 2017 11:43 AM GMT
Dr C is correct as usual, no dramatic changes! slowly and gently does it!
Report Aunty Post March 18, 2017 12:12 PM GMT
Just done 15 minutes on my spin bike to get the blood pumping...

I always feel better after exercise.

Will do some weights in a mo....

Coffee....only have a couple in the morning.
Report jamesdean March 18, 2017 1:02 PM GMT
Been off drink for 2 weeks. Would normally have couple glasses of red during the week and boozer/party at weekend
Sleep pattern was all to fk with the late nights.

Bed early now and up at a decent time. 1st week, felt worse as wasn't used to not sleeping in, less sleep.
Now waken up around 9ish feeling fresh. Feel a million miles better for it.

Start to enjoy the small things in life again like watching a football match or going the swimming.
Not felt like this since I was about 13!

Hardest time to keep off the drink is weekend as feel missing out and everyone is out having a good time or just feel 'deserve' a drink as it's the weekend. Just got to fill that drinking time doing something else, the Devil and idle hands etc..
Report saddo March 18, 2017 1:09 PM GMT
Cold turkey is hard Aunty. I do half a kg of coffee a week, if I miss a day I get a banging headache, after 3 or 4 days without coffee it goes away tho.
Report Dr Crippen March 18, 2017 1:10 PM GMT
Good for you jamesdean.
Report Lee Ho Fooks March 18, 2017 1:16 PM GMT
^^^ you too AP & keep at it, the thing you might need is a sharp object to make another hole in your belt.
Report Gallivanter March 18, 2017 1:25 PM GMT
I recently read an article about stopping drinking but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I used it to light the fire.

The gist of it was that suddenly stopping drinking can sometimes be harmful, both physically and mentally. If you survive the first week then stay off it for good. Unsuccessful stops can be even more harmful because the drinker goes through the withdrawal stage many times. Weekend drinkers who binge at the weekend and are dry through the week do their bodies more harm than those who drink the same amount spaced fairly evenly through the week. That's because the binge drinker is getting withdrawal symptoms every week.

The other point made was that you should stay away from alcopops. Wine, apparently, is an alcopop. Vodka and coke, whisky and dry ginger are all alcopops. Anything that's very pleasant to drink is an alcopop and that means you'll drink more of it. Bitter beer is fine but lager beer isn't. Neat whisky is fine but whisky and water isn't. Your pleasures must not be too pleasurable. Reminds me of the years when I smoked a pipe.

TL;DR: Change to drinks you only want for the alcohol's sake and that take some time to finish. Same amount every day. After a month, reduce amount per day by a little. After another month, try having one dry day a week. If you can't, have a "half dry" day per week. Keep cutting down and cutting out until you no longer need a routine. You're now a "special occasions only" light drinker.
Report saddo March 18, 2017 1:34 PM GMT
Just bought a dozen bottles of Villa Maria Sauvignon blanc at Morrisons. A bargain at 7 quid if you weaken, AP.
Report Jack Hacksaw March 18, 2017 1:34 PM GMT
My 5:2 diet means no alcohol on Monday and Thursday.

On those evenings, it takes longer to go to sleep at night but I sleep sounder and wake up in the morning from a deeper sleep.
Report trilby22 March 18, 2017 1:35 PM GMT
Same as JD.  Not had a drink this month nor a smoke since Ash Wednesday.  Feeling 10x better for it.  I had forgotten how great unbroken sleep was!
Report Foinavon March 18, 2017 2:16 PM GMT
I gave up regular drinking over 20 years ago. Just cut down gradually and you will find after a while that you don't miss it at all.
Like Gallivanter, I only have a drink on special occasions when it's expected of me and then no more than one glass of wine as a toast.
The plus side is that cutting out the drink's calories will help your waistline.
Report Deltâ March 18, 2017 2:20 PM GMT
fred of bores
Report Foinavon March 18, 2017 2:28 PM GMT
You are right, Delta, carry on drinking, it improves your personality no end. Cool
Report jamesdean March 18, 2017 3:01 PM GMT
Thanks dr. Keep up the good work ap, as many have said you'l feel better for it 10 fold when body/mind adapts.

Used to think like that, delta. Until realised lying in bed hungover and feeling drained for days was more boring
than not drinking!

Choose life Grin
Report Aunty Post March 18, 2017 3:13 PM GMT
I had given up for three weeks back in '94, I think it was.

Kind of had to as had a peptic ulcer at the time.

Felt great, and bright eyed,and then got a company perk to go to the San Marino Grand Prix, with a few others,
and that was the end of that!

I was surviving on Gaviscon all the time I was there.
Didn't get hammered, or drunk, but then I never really did, as drink, or just the opportunity, came with the job!!
Report akabula March 18, 2017 9:34 PM GMT
I rarely drink now AP and probably only had the equivalent of 2 bottles of wine this year so far.
Cut down about a year ago and never felt any ill effects.
Report Capt__F March 18, 2017 9:40 PM GMT
like t to much to give it upSad
Report casemoney March 18, 2017 10:10 PM GMT
Same Capt ,BUT the **** need to go and deffo need to Cut down on Booze ,Had some Frightening  news followed
by Surgery ,I appear to have had a Result  for the Time Being ,seems a bit silly not to pack up
and Not cut down on Booze ,but a Lot easier said then Done Plain
Report casemoney March 18, 2017 10:10 PM GMT
F A G S FFS Laugh
Report Capt__F March 18, 2017 10:17 PM GMT
good luck Case all the best
Report casemoney March 18, 2017 10:21 PM GMT
Thx Capt Happy
Report brassneck March 18, 2017 10:25 PM GMT
Drink is the only sickness that tells you that you don't suffer from it.Cool
Report guinness2dear March 18, 2017 10:46 PM GMT
I'm jumping aboard tomorrow before i start to look like Ted Cassidy..
Report Jack Hacksaw March 19, 2017 10:18 AM GMT
Alcohol - the cause of, and answer to, all life's problems.

(Homer Simpson)
Report dunlaying March 19, 2017 11:20 AM GMT
I have had ten weeks dry and one week drinking this year. Tomorrow I will be back on the wagon. I might stay on it.
Report 1st time poster March 19, 2017 11:29 AM GMT
never had a drink for 8 years,didnt really make a decision to give it up just went about 12 months without one because i didnt find myself in situations where i used to drink stopped saturday football, didnt go racing for a year,never drunk in the house and at that age when i stopped going out for a drink,after a year i decided to give it up altogether,think people who are used to drinking at home would find it a lot harder to stop than those who dont
Report The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE March 19, 2017 11:58 AM GMT
Hangovers are for amateurs.
Report Dr Crippen March 19, 2017 12:05 PM GMT
Drink also contributes greatly to diabetes. Which is likely to be a problem as we age. 
Don't let them tell you that alcohol is chemically different to  sugar. It has almost the same effects on your body.
Report The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE March 19, 2017 1:47 PM GMT
I don't agree.
Report Dr Crippen March 19, 2017 1:56 PM GMT
Gout is another drink related blessing.
If not always caused by drinking, but certainly aggravated by alcohol.
Alcohol inhibits the kidneys from clearing uric acid from the system.
Excess uric acid in the blood is the root cause of gout.
Report TheBaron March 19, 2017 5:20 PM GMT
If you want to cut down on alcohol have a glass of water equal to the drink and alternate between the two.  You feel that you are drinking more than you are and its better for you.
Report jamesdean March 19, 2017 5:25 PM GMT
Tempted to have a glass or two of red tonight Blush

Could be 2 weeks good work up the swanny Sad
Report TheBaron March 19, 2017 5:27 PM GMT
I cant ever see myself giving up beer its one of the pleasures of life.  I don't drink much but I am habitualLaugh
Report trilby22 March 19, 2017 5:43 PM GMT

Mar 18, 2017 -- 3:20PM, Deltâ wrote:

fred of bores

It's my day off today Cool

Report trilby22 March 19, 2017 5:47 PM GMT
Johnny, be good.

Wink

George Thororgood & the Delaware Destroyers ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wdrlgGCavU

RIP Chuck
Report guinness2dear March 19, 2017 7:56 PM GMT
George at his best....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY
Report guinness2dear March 19, 2017 7:58 PM GMT
Although this might more apt on this fred...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--AvCsh48bk
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now