Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Hank Hill
22 Jan 17 22:51
| Topic/replies: 8,276 | Blogger: Hank Hill's blog
Skeletons of the Zahara  - Dean King

American sailors shipwrecked off the coast of Africa 1815. They say fact is stranger than fiction and this tale of struggle certainly backs that up. Probably 90% of the books I read are history books, but even if you're not a history buff this book is riveting. Certainly not a cheery read but you'll want to keep turning the page to see what the sailors will overcome next. Recommended.

What has chit chat been reading?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Books read 2017
Show More
Report Foinavon February 20, 2017 7:55 PM GMT
Good luck dunlaying, you have stamina.
Report Foinavon February 20, 2017 7:55 PM GMT
Good luck dunlaying, you have stamina.
Report dunlaying February 20, 2017 8:19 PM GMT
I am stubborn. The dreadful thing is that it has become a habit to read some every day. I have been at it , on and off , for nearly eight years!
Report annie. February 20, 2017 9:30 PM GMT
Demon seed - Dean Koontz

I think I read this years ago but read it again and it was okay.

Cantata -140   -  Philip K Dick

Again was okay and particularly interesting as it was written in the sixties and talks about a black man running for the presidency of america in the future!

Even dogs in the wild - Ian Rankin

Very similar to all the Rankin books but okay
Report Foinavon February 26, 2017 7:53 PM GMT
The Kingdom of Fife by Irvine Welsh

Well defined characters from different social strata and age groups with all the shock and depravity you expect from Welsh.
The writing has plenty of energy with scenes woven around an unlikely romance. Excellent.
Report sixtwosix February 26, 2017 7:58 PM GMT
The Pale Criminal - Philip Kerr 6/10
Bestie - Joe Lovejoy 8/10
George VI - Sarah Bradford 7/10
Time For Heroes - Ted Brack 7/10
March Violets - Philip Kerr 7/10
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut 6/10
Park Drive Book Of Football 1968/9    10/10
A German Requiem - Philip Kerr 7/10
Hunt Vs Lauda - Paul Fearnley 9/10
The Dikler and His Circle - Mary Comyns Carr 10/10
Report annie. February 26, 2017 8:20 PM GMT
A STORM OF SWORDS, part 1 - the third book in the song of ice and fire saga, now known as the game of thrones, by George R R Martin

As previously said I really like these books by george martin and this one did not disappoint.  I only started reading them as the series are quite complicated at first with loads of characters, but I find that I really like this author.  The books are slightly different to the series and can be a bit confusing but still very enjoyable.  I see a series, like the third one, of game of thrones and then I read the book.  But for the next series I think I will see a few episodes, read the book, see some more etc.
Report Foinavon February 26, 2017 8:27 PM GMT
I haven't watched Game of Thrones, Annie. It's fantasy, right?
Report annie. February 26, 2017 8:40 PM GMT
I don't think I realised that it was fantasy when I first watched it with a friend, until the spooky stuff started Laugh

It is a sort of medieval, political drama featuring dragons, nudity (lots of it, men will love it), wars, torture etc with a touch of the supernatural.  Think house of cards meets the sopranos and the walking dead. 

I love it and it has won numerous awards.  If you are man you would love it even more.
Report Foinavon February 26, 2017 8:50 PM GMT
Yes, I am a man but not sure I would want to watch it. I love Pratchett, the novels but not the films which are a bit of a let-down in comparison. Might have a look at the book you mentioned, though.
Thanks, Annie Happy
Report annie. February 26, 2017 10:02 PM GMT
I am curious, Foinavon, why would you not want to watch it?  It would be much better to see the first series then read the first book. 
The tv series is full of great shocks and surprises and you would miss that if you read the books first.  Do you not watch television or dvds?  I would understand if you did not as I do not possess a television and have never owned a dvd.

I have never read Pratchett and I must admit a book about a world resting on elephants does not encourage me to read it.  I don't think I have read fantasy, but after game of thrones I will give them a try, especially lord of the rings etc.
Report annie. February 26, 2017 10:04 PM GMT
If you do read the books please whatever you do read them in order or you will get even more confused.  There is a huge cast of characters and plots.
Report Foinavon February 27, 2017 10:58 AM GMT
Thanks, Annie, I had logged off last night before seeing your posts.

I gave up going to the cinema a long time ago since there is too much dross and the gems are few and far between. I very occasionally watch a film on TV as I know that I can turn it off if I don't like it (which usually happens). Having watched films of books, I think they are a poor substitute in the main for the book, usually being abridged and shallow, geared for sensation over any semblance of sophistication. I would rather trust my imagination to that of any film producer.
When I first tried to read "The Colour of Magic", Pratchett's first book, I gave up almost immediately at the ludicrous elephants and turtle description. A few years later, a friend persuaded me to give it another go as he said I would love the humour in Pratchett's books. I read "The Colour of Magic" and loved it so much that I read most of the rest of his work. I tried to read LOTR and got stuck at Bilbo Baggins' "eleventy first birthday". How childish I thought and never picked it up again. I more recently saw some excerpt of the LOTR film and that put me off for good.

Which book is the first in the series of the saga, Annie?
Report annie. February 27, 2017 7:19 PM GMT
I will try to read terry pratchett at some time then, Foinavon.  Now I am reading game of thrones which is billed as a fantasy I will read other 'fantasy' books.

I would like you to see the dvd first of game of thrones, but I can't twist your arm can I Happy  It is so full of brilliant shocks that to read about them first would spoil it and don't forget I saw the first series then read the book and still enjoyed it very much.  Don't buy the dvd just get the first series from Cex that I think costs £8 but you will get a voucher for four pounds against something else when you take it back. Don't forget that unlike films of books, nowadays they make some into tv series which have a much longer time to tell the tale, not all squashed into 90 minutes.

You are like me, I haven't been to the cinema since the showing of 'Airplane' !  It was a great film but all the noisy customers put me off. I rarely watch a film, or anything else, on tv either, but I have come late to loving box sets of great tv series. 

Again we agree about LOTR or was it the hobbit that I read the first few pages and gave up.  I think it was a bit similar to game of thrones in that there is such a huge cast of characters that I thought I really did not have the time to read it properly.  But now I will give it a go.

The series by george martin is called ' a song of ice and fire' and the first book is actually titled 'game of thrones' but the other books have different names. Be careful because all the current books have lots of 'game of thrones' references on the title cover.
Report Foinavon February 27, 2017 9:28 PM GMT
As well as the Discworld series, Pratchett wrote several stand-alone novels based on the Discworld stage the best of which being, Going Postal, Making Money and Moving Pictures. I thought these were the best of the lot.

You tempt me with the films but I don't have a DVD player, never having seen the need to buy one. There was a disk reader on my old computer but this one doesn't have one, uses memory sticks.

I vaguely remember the list of names at the start of LOTR and thinking what's the point as I'll never remember them. A good author would introduce the characters one or two at a time. There is a Tolkien centre near where I live as he spent part of his childhood here and was said to have been inspired during walks in the local woodland. Whether that's true or not I've no idea. Haven't noticed any Hobbits wandering around there myself.
Report Foinavon February 27, 2017 9:52 PM GMT
I've bought the first book Annie, £4-74 kindle edition. I had a sneak look at the sample and it seems well written. I won't start it immediately as I'm in the middle of a couple of others but will post my impression of it on here eventually.Happy
Report annie. February 27, 2017 10:58 PM GMT
I feel guilty now making you spend money on something you might not like.  Perhaps because you have not seen the series you might not like it so much.  When I read it I identify with the people playing the parts on screen, so maybe you get to like the writing more.

I am like you and have never bought a dvd player and have hardly watched any series on tv for years, but having box sets of entire series and watching them together is different.  You enjoy them more, no more waiting a week to see the next episode and then possibly missing it because you are doing something else.  Have you seen 'Breaking Bad' it is brilliant.  I am now catching up on all the GOOD tv I have missed.  I still read a lot and enjoy it, but also play poker and watch dvds of tv series.
Report Foinavon February 27, 2017 11:40 PM GMT
No reason to Annie, I flagged the price because I thought it was cheap.
I'm catching up too as I had little to no time for myself during my working life.
I haven't seen "Breaking Bad" as I don't watch much TV and much of that is documentaries. What's it about?
I do spend several hours a day reading, more during the winter when my garden is dormant
so I'm catching up fast.
Books are a cheap commodity which gives huge amounts of pleasure, the cost is of no consequence to me.
If one doesn't click I forget it and move on to the next.
If you are enjoying life, then you are doing the right things. Good luck with the poker. Happy
Report annie. February 28, 2017 12:30 AM GMT
I think it is best to not know about good tv series before you watch it, so I won't say anything about breaking bad, only to say it is regularly voted among the top ten tv series of all time.

goodnight Happy
Report Foinavon February 28, 2017 3:33 PM GMT
OK, I'll have a look. Which channel is it on and when?
Report annie. March 1, 2017 7:16 PM GMT
Sorry, Foinavon, I saw it as a box set of dvds, but it could be on tv, sky, netflix, amazon and of course dvds that you can rent from Cex.  Although if it is on tv then it will probably be out of order and it must be viewed in order from the start.

I was like you and did not watch dvds, but now I think I will not bother with tv and just watch box sets.  The first season of breaking bad is only £2 from Cex, which are in over 350 stores or buy online from them or amazon or ebay.  Dvd players are only about £20.

What kind of tv have you like watching in the past?
Report Foinavon March 1, 2017 7:52 PM GMT
I watch documentaries, especially science and history based and the main quiz shows like University Challenge, Only Connect, Mastermind, 15 to 1 etc. I watch all the cricket there is on TV as that's my betting medium and there's occasionally a programme on Sky Arts that I might find interesting but I don't bother with anything else. I'm not one for spending hours watching drama, I would rather spend the time reading or drawing and painting or outside if the weather is good.
Thanks for the information Annie, I'll start the first GOT book soon and let you know how I get on.I'm in the middle of a collection of short stories about the French Foreign Legion by P C May of Beau Geste fame at the moment. Not much depth to them but they transport you to a different time and different places as varied as North African desert, muddy French Indochinese jungle during the monsoon and Marseilles in the sun at the turn of the last century.An enjoyable read.
Report Foinavon March 1, 2017 7:58 PM GMT
* P C Wren Crazy Why do I have May on the brain?
Report annie. March 1, 2017 8:34 PM GMT
From what you have said, Foinavon, you probably won't like game of thrones and breaking bad then.  But I liked 15 to 1, Mastermind, Universiy Challenge etc when I had a tv and love historical fiction novels especially Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel.  I must see the box set of Wolf Hall.
Report DIE LINKE March 7, 2017 9:27 PM GMT
Anyone here read Kill Your Friends by John Niven? Music industry satire is superb, though the rest does read like a Bret Easton Ellis. Fascinating fact is that the hotmail address which appears on the final pages is actually my email address.
Report Des Pond March 10, 2017 8:00 PM GMT
Nothing to Envy, Award-winning journalist Barbara Demick's eye-opening account of the struggles of six ordinary citizens of North Korea as they attempt to escape their arduous existence. Many of you will have read this already, but it's well worth a read for anyone who hasn't, or anyone that may have had their interest piqued by the strange events seen on the News recently. currently available on Kindle at £1.89.
Report TheGoldenVision March 10, 2017 8:22 PM GMT
Donald Ray Pollock... brilliant. Just finished his third offering, "The Heavenly Table". Fabulous characters, brutal settings and a story which keeps you hooked til the end. Beverley Hill Billies meet Deliverance meet Southern Comfort meet whatever drugged up, incestuous, in-bred trip through the bits of America Obama and Clinton never knew existed... and probably still exists. Buy it!!!
Report TheGoldenVision March 10, 2017 8:57 PM GMT
Desert Island Disc reads....

Berlin Noir... Philip Kerr (3 books actually, but his best 3 so far)
Lonesome Dove... Larry McMurty (Charles Dickens would have died for these characters)
The Devils Disciples... Antony Read (how the hell did Hitler succeed?)
Place of Greater Safety... Hilary Mantel (French Revolutionary excellence)
Report annie. March 10, 2017 9:18 PM GMT
Let the old dreams die - John Ajvide Lindqvist

It is a book of short stories from the author of 'let the right one in' that was turned into a swedish horror film and then remade by the americans.  It was okay but maybe I am not a fan of short stories.  I have to admit I skim read the last few stories so they might have been terrific.

I agree about 'Place of greater safety' , GoldenVision, if that is the only french revolution one by hilary mantel, as I have forgotten what the book I read was called.  Did you read 'Wolf Hall' and 'Bring up the Bodies' by her? I loved them.
Report bodil March 11, 2017 12:10 AM GMT
Working my way through the Ed McBain 87th Precinct series. On about 38 of 52(?).  Of their time and most wonderfully non-pc (though honourable in intention) but an entertaining way of spending time before the grave. Interesting to consider how many books will be consigned to oblivion because of causing offence to parties waiting to be offended.
Report bodil March 11, 2017 12:34 AM GMT
Also re-reading The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov. Read it in the late 60s - and remember almost nothing. Seems so aware of recent censorship/group-think. Hard to imagine he wrote to Stalin and Stalin wrote back. Another godawful censorship situation (with guaranteed death if Joseph not amused). And his version of St Matthew's gospel will not appeal to the Christians on here. Surprisingly modern.
Report annie. March 20, 2017 8:35 PM GMT
A Storm of Swords, part two - Blood and Gold by George R R Martin.  The continuing  saga of 'game of thrones'.

I like reading these books and this one did not disappoint.  As said before I am watching the series and then reading the books, so maybe I am enjoying them more as I know more about what is going on - the plot runs to many, many characters, families etc.  Also you get to like some of the characters in the film so you enjoy exploring more of their characters in the books, if you get my meaning.
Report Mc Moonbeam March 20, 2017 10:12 PM GMT
Where do you peeps find the time ... i'll have to start a thread titled 'Food cooked 2017' Plain
Report Mc Moonbeam March 20, 2017 10:17 PM GMT
Last book I started reading was 'Mastery by Robert Greene' started in 2015 & haven't quite finished it yet!
Report sixtwosix March 22, 2017 2:44 PM GMT
3.59.4 The Quest For The 4 Minute Mile - Bob Philips 8/10
The People vs O J Simpson - Jeffrey Toobin 10/10
The Devil's Star - Jo Nesbo 8/10
Report Foinavon March 22, 2017 5:42 PM GMT
When Prophecy Fails: A Social and Psychological Study of a Modern Group that Predicted the Destruction of the World

This book was brought to my attention on another thread.
An interesting read and a fascinating insight although a bit repetitive at times.
I would have liked to have seen more analysis of the psychological states of the cult members but realise that this wasn't really feasible within the scope of the study.
Report Foinavon March 22, 2017 5:52 PM GMT
* When Prophesy Fails, by Leon Festinger.

I've just read the first chapter of Bulgakov's book, Bodil. Very well written and rather weird, I think I will enjoy this one.
Report Life-Lucky March 22, 2017 6:27 PM GMT
Some great tips on where to find my next read here, thanks all. I'm currently reading INSIDE MR ENDERBY, one of Anthony Burgess' early and very funny efforts before he went all grandiose
Report bodil March 26, 2017 11:36 PM BST
sixtwosix - you've just read the first 3 Bernie Gunther novels (Philip Kerr). A very fine series. No 12 is out April 4th - and I'll even fork out the outrageous amount the publishers want for a kindle version.

Equally good are the Aurelio Zen novels by Michael Dibdin. They finished at 11 (hard to believe the author has been dead for a decade). The BBC did a pretty good adaptation of a couple with Rufus Sewell as Zen but cancelled the series because they thought they needed "more female detectives".

I think Zen originally came from Venice. From which we have the Donna Leon Brunetti series. No 26 out soon.  Also excellent. They've certainly fared better than Venice itself, whose corruption and decline is mirrored in the books.
Report sixtwosix March 27, 2017 1:13 PM BST
Bodil , murder mystery and the Third Reich , sounded like a good book before even reading.
I think I have read five of them now  , slightly out of sequence.
Report currant bun March 27, 2017 2:04 PM BST
Post Office.......Charles Bukowski   8/10
Anyone Can Do It....Duncan Bannatyne  7/10
Surely You're Joking Mr Feynmann....Richard Feynmann  8/10
This Is London.............Ben Judah    8/10
Report Mick Sturbs March 27, 2017 2:18 PM BST
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hays a good thriller if somewhat overlong   well worth a read
Report annie. March 30, 2017 8:06 PM BST
Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

What to make of this book?

It seems plain that it begins with a love affair between two men, but as this is the 1920s when homosexuality is illegal, is it?  I think it is because the affair is between two men who have gone to private school, say no more, wink, wink. But then the affair dissolves and the narrator ends up marrying a woman who he dislikes and children he cannot be bothered to see, divorcing her and then trying to marry another but can't.

I did not like the characters and especially the narrator.  I wanted to scream 'man up' several times as they all are practically wimps  and up themselves.  Snobbish twits the lot of them.  The poor dears cannot cope with gorgeous homes and loads of money, whilst the working class has to work all hours to keep them in style.

I do not vote labour, but if I had read this book in 1945 I might have Happy
Report johnn March 30, 2017 8:16 PM BST
Anyone read James Robertson's "The Testament of Gideon Mack"?
I'n rereading it now, utterly fantastic book.
Report Foinavon March 30, 2017 8:56 PM BST
Good review Annie and the reason I don't read that style of literature. Homosexuality between men certainly was illegal in the 1920s although not the case for women.(iirc)
Report annie. March 30, 2017 9:12 PM BST
Thanks, Foinavon Happy

I don't read that style of literature as a rule, but as it is supposed to be a 'classic' I thought I would see what all the fuss was about.  Not much, in my opinion.  It reminded me of a upper class 'mills and boon', although I hasten to add I think I have only read one 'mills and boon' in my teenage years and that was enough!

I read somewhere that female sexuality was not illegal because Queen Victoria did not think women could possibly do it.  I can assure her they can!
Report Foinavon March 30, 2017 9:22 PM BST
Yup Grin

A lot of the literature of the Victorian age seems to be about the shenanigans of the upper crust, perhaps because the writers were describing the milieu they knew best.
Maybe it was the Mills and Boone of the age but I couldn't possibly comment.
Report annie. March 30, 2017 9:24 PM BST
My thoughts exactly, Foinavon.
Report annie. April 6, 2017 7:14 PM BST
A day in your life, 24 hours inside the human body - Dr Hilary Jones

I enjoyed this book, it was informative and entertaining.
Report Foinavon April 7, 2017 5:32 PM BST
The Master and Margarita By Bulgakov.

Rather oddball which I would describe as a cross between Kafka and Lewis Carroll without achieving the brilliance of either. Easy read though, which can't be said for Kafka, and one can see why it was banned in The Stalinist Soviet Union. The multiple Russian names were confusing at times and I had to occasionally refer back, a minor grumble.
I second Bodil's views on this book posted on here last month.
Report Foinavon April 22, 2017 2:06 PM BST
Straight and Crooked Thinking by Robert Henry Thouless

This is an update of a book originally written by his grandfather in 1930. I can think of a number of people who would benefit from reading this. I downloaded this as I wanted a copy on my Kindle.

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
The sign of Four by the same author
I had watched adaptations of Sherlock Holmes stories on TV many years ago but never got around to reading the novels. I downloaded the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes stories for 99p which is a bargain as the stories are still fresh and exciting today.
Report bigH May 9, 2017 9:41 PM BST
rommel
07 Feb 17 12:59
| Topic/replies: 18,846 | Blogger: rommel's blog
The Faber Book of Reportage       What was it like to be caught in the firestorm that destroyed Pompeii? To have dinner with Attila the Hun? To watch the charge of the Light Brigade? To see the Titanic slide beneath the waves? John Carey's best-selling Faber Book of Reportage draws its eyewitness account from memoirs, travel books and newspapers. This is history with the varnish removed.

Thank you Rommel for flagging this book up. Every chapter is eye opening and jaw dropping.

Got it for 1p plus postage
Report sixtwosix May 10, 2017 9:16 PM BST
The Program  - David Walsh 9/10
After Auschwitz - Eva Schloss 10/10
Report Foinavon May 14, 2017 5:52 PM BST
Crime by Irvine Welsh
Quite different from the well-known Trainspotting trilogy. A well-written crime thriller set in Florida where the underlying tension and menace is maintained to keep you enthralled.
It tackles the difficult subject of paedophilia and seems very well researched to me.
Excellent book.
Report Foinavon May 16, 2017 5:29 PM BST
The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli

Thought this would be worth reading, so I did.
It was.
Report TheGoldenVision May 16, 2017 6:39 PM BST
The Heavenly Table - Donald Ray Pollock

This is a brilliant book populated by some of the best characters in modern literature. It's a 1916 cowboy story set in the hillbilly parts of the US. Full of "winder lickers" and inbreds, it's a story telling joy. Read it. You wont be sorry. The same author has a couple of similar tales... one a group of short stories... but both a reflection of scary life in the American badlands.
Report Foinavon May 19, 2017 11:45 AM BST
River out of Eden - Richard Dawkins.

This is the second time I have read this wonderfully accessible book on Darwinian evolution. The river in question is the flow of a torrent of information through time carried in our genes. The various themes are clearly explained in a non-technical way and the narrative holds your attention and curiosity throughout. Dawkins also takes the time to answer his critics in a clear logical way that is easily understood. Although short and concise, this is one of his best books.
Report sixtwosix May 21, 2017 6:17 PM BST
Leonard - William Shatner 8/10
In Pursuit the Nazi Hunters - Andrew Nagorski 8/10
Report Foinavon May 21, 2017 11:14 PM BST
Last month,I downloaded a collection of 60+ works by H Rider Haggard for 49p.
So far I've read a couple of short stories, one I rate as poor (Smith and the Pharoahs)
the other excellent (The blue Curtains).
I'm looking for help from the Chit Chat bibliophiles to help me choose the best of this collection to read first. If you are familiar with this author's work I would be interested to know your recommendations.
Thanks in advance.
Report Mr.Anderson May 24, 2017 5:42 PM BST
Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (Swedish translation).

Fantasy book of more than 700 pages, and I finished it in three days, i.e. I liked it. 9/10 maybe. I've just borrowed the next book in the series.
Report Foinavon June 10, 2017 9:17 PM BST
The Art of Thinking Clearly - Rolf Dobelli
99 cognitive errors each with its own chapter, 3 pages long.
A fun read with some amusing anecdotes even though the author can come across as patronising at times.
It doesn't actually teach you anything positive,just shows you what to avoid which is OK in itself. Good book.
Report Velasquez June 10, 2017 9:51 PM BST
The Dawn of World Redemption by Erich Sauer.
Report boxingthefox June 10, 2017 10:08 PM BST
The Magic Mountain, Thomas Mann, a great read any year, also Victory, Joseph Conrad. His best imo.
Report boxingthefox June 10, 2017 10:11 PM BST
I am  Axel Heyst (Spartacus supporter voice). Grin
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:15 AM BST
I had a German girlfriend who gave me Der ZAUBERBERG Grin to read. She used to read it to me and then translate...she identified totally with Claudia Chauchat, who used to bang the dining room doors with no heed for the other sick people...Cry

If you are not sick, this book will make you sick IMO. I came down with a horrendous cold in the middle of summer...this book is steeped in decadence and sickness...Cry
Report bodil June 11, 2017 12:17 AM BST
Bit upmarket, boxing? I'm impressed. Tbh the kind of books you might find in a hospital library.

Sometime last month my kindle (I'm sick of carting hundred of boxes of books around when I move - which used to be quite often, happy days. Is that OK with you paper-loving bastards?)got an update and erased all indications of what the dam books were. So I stabbed at a random blank square to get my bearings. Well I can't resist 0.99p bargains, and it was one of a trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (The First Law?). Think Brak The Barbarian (they're good), Conan (mighty Conan!) crossed with Tolkien and Game Of Thrones. Well, it was now designated as read. So I had to read it. I have a tidy mind. Really. Lots of slaughter and confusion, people go on quests and nothing much happens except time is wasted, the heroes kill children accidently and run away, true love is trampled on, good people die, bad people die, peasants are slaughtered for no good reason, the sex is brutish and bad, everyone smells and characters disappear randomly.

Now I think about it, a bit like chit chat. Or Theresa May's reign

Well I read three 600+ page books and then the first of the next series. If you need cheering up or feel suicidal, these are not for you.
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:21 AM BST
By the way,there are some cracking French hotties reading classic literature on youtube...literally!
Report bodil June 11, 2017 12:25 AM BST
How, er, how well clothed are they? And do they do French?
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:26 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfA5KXrO1iM

CHRISTELLE PICOT READS MAUPASSANT

Laugh
Report bodil June 11, 2017 12:29 AM BST
Oh god! The way she crosses her legs - you wont be disappointed.
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:31 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW6JA8fcYl8

FLORRIE AUCLERC READS ARSENE LUPIN

This must be the French equivalent of Babestation...them classy French...Laugh
Report bodil June 11, 2017 12:34 AM BST
I expect whatever state-sponsored body pumps money into promoting the French language is behind them. Beats A Book At Bedtime hollow.
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:36 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA3uadMo7hg

JIM CARREY FALLS IN LOVE WITH MATURE FRENCH LADY....Grin
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:40 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2doZu6kU7mE

MARIE CLEMENT

DON'T ACTUALLY CARE WHAT SHE'S READING.....Love
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:41 AM BST
YOU ARE ALL GETTING BILLED FOR THIS...Angry
Report bodil June 11, 2017 12:47 AM BST
Those calves, those eyebrows - je suis undone!

God you must have been bored to discover them - and then thrilled!
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:54 AM BST
As I recall, 'twas a hot evening in May, and I had drank far too much absinthe diluted with corn syrup and soda water...for endless hours, I had searched patiently for a TAME IMPALA concert in Paris, only for the machine to deliver up these scantily clad Gallic hotties chuntering away in the language of lurv...Excited
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 12:56 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXJQv2Vy1YQ

Shocked
Report bodil June 11, 2017 1:00 AM BST
I fear we have hi-jacked this thread - merely typing that word ensures both of us will be tear-gassed and clubbed to the ground before dawn.

Enjoy!
Report Velasquez June 11, 2017 1:06 AM BST
Laugh
Report bodil June 11, 2017 1:54 AM BST
Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Report Foinavon June 11, 2017 10:51 AM BST
Voyage au bout de la nuit Excited

Great stuff lads, beats reading about May & DUP into a c0cked hat.Cool
Report workrider June 11, 2017 11:36 AM BST
Just finished Gentlemen & Blackguards by Nicholas Foulkes.Or gambling mania and the plot to steal the Derby of 1844.Lord George Bentinck's challange to the owners of Running Rein that years Derby winner. A smashing read.
Report workrider June 11, 2017 11:37 AM BST
Challenge even.
Report bungalow bill June 11, 2017 5:33 PM BST
Conclave by Robert Harris - didn't think 118 old men locked in a room to elect a new pope would be any good - but I enjoyed it - 8/10.

Also, read 2 of the most recent Jack Reachers - can't remember the titles - and Lee Child does like picking footballers names as Characters which I find a bit weird, Greizeman and Klopp amongst others here  - OK, but they are all getting a bit samey.

And a short story called Willed Accidents Happen by Patricia A. Guthrie which was ok too.
Report annie. June 11, 2017 8:12 PM BST
Agree about Jack Reacher novels, it is nearly the same formula every time.
Report sixtwosix June 21, 2017 1:41 PM BST
The Time Machine - H G Wells 10/10
War Of The Worlds - H G Wells 9/10
The Invisible Man - H G Wells 6/10
The First Men In The Moon - H G Wells 4/10
The Fifth Head Of Cerberus - Gene Wolf 4/10
Our Zoo - June Mottershead 10/10
Story Of Your Life And Others - Ted Chiang 6/10
1984 - George Orwell 11/10
Five Dead Canaries - George Marston 7/10
Report Foinavon June 21, 2017 2:13 PM BST
1984 is definitely a book for our times, sixtwosix. Did someone flag up 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami?

Apparently, it's a dystopian world based on 1984 (Q sounds like 9 in Japanese). I read 1984 prior to 1984 but haven't yet read 1Q84. I must do it soon.
Report Des Pond July 18, 2017 1:15 AM BST

May 16, 2017 -- 6:39PM, TheGoldenVision wrote:

The Heavenly Table - Donald Ray PollockThis is a brilliant book populated by some of the best characters in modern literature. It's a 1916 cowboy story set in the hillbilly parts of the US. Full of "winder lickers" and inbreds, it's a story telling joy. Read it. You wont be sorry. The same author has a couple of similar tales... one a group of short stories... but both a reflection of scary life in the American badlands.

I came upon a copy of this at my local library, and recalling the title from this thread, I decided to give it a go. And, yes it was great read. Blackly comic and tragic at the same time, it uses multiple points of view to very good effect. It reminded me of a book called The Sisters Brothers, which I read a few years ago, and was also redolent of a Nick Cave song or a Coen Brothers movie. Clips along at a fair old pace and keeps you interested in the fate of the characters. Some of whom you wouldn't want to meet, but some that you find yourself caring about. Thanks for pointing it out. Happy

Report sixtwosix August 18, 2017 7:30 PM BST
The Time Machine - H G Wells 10/10
War Of The Worlds - H G Wells 9/10
The Invisible Man - H G Wells 6/10
The First Men In The Moon - H G Wells 4/10
The Fifth Head Of Cerberus - Gene Wolf 4/10
Our Zoo - June Mottershead 10/10
Story Of Your Life And Others - Ted Chiang 6/10
1984 - George Orwell 11/10
Five Dead Canaries - George Marston 7/10
Assassination of Heydrich - Callum McDonald 8/10
Autobiography - Joey Barton 6/10
Autobiography - Trevor Brooking 7/10
Autobiography - Mark Ward 9/10
Autobiography - Sir Roger Moore 7/10
Gestapo - Frank McDonough 4/10
From A Buick 8 - Stephen King 10/10
Report dunlaying August 18, 2017 8:37 PM BST
St Fredo - Alphonse Boudard , a great read. Not one for the feminists though.
Report Foinavon August 18, 2017 9:41 PM BST
Reheated Cabbage, a collection of short stories by Irvine Welsh, some better than others. Frank Begbie features in one of them.

The sex lives of Siamese Twins Irvine Welsh at his best. Set in Miami and not a Scotsman in sight. Contains a fair measure of trademark horrific scenes, it wouldn't be Welsh without.

Also read a few books about politics which I won't bother to detail.
Report annie. August 18, 2017 10:09 PM BST
Eight months on Gazza Street - Hilary Mantel
I loved 'Wolf Hall' but this is nowhere as good. Okay but I don't think it is a man's book.

Freakonomics - Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner
Quite interesting but not as good as all the rave reviews have said.

The end of the affair - Graham Greene
Another disappointing 'classic'.  It reads very like a mills and boon.

For whom the bell tolls - Ernest Hemingway
Yet another disappointing 'classic'.  He never uses a word when a paragraph would do.  Basically it is another 'mills and boon' set in the time of the spanish civil war.  Man meets beautiful woman, has sex with her, blows up a bridge then dies.  Waffle, waffle, waffle.  Just once can't a man meet an ordinary woman and fall madly in love with her because she is kind, funny and intelligent - Oh no, they have to be beautiful, it doesn't matter about anything else.

Mohammed
Published in 1968 this is quite a good book about the prophet.  Interesting.

Tuf Voyaging - George R R Martin
Not nearly as good as game of thrones but worth a read if you like science fiction.

The beautiful dead - Belinda Bauer
Okay thriller.

Remains of the DAy - Kazuo Ishiguro
Man Booker winner but doesn't deserve it. 
What is it about 'classic' books?  He was about in his thirties I think when he wrote it and it shows.  We are expected to believe that a man worked and lived alongside an attractive woman who made advances to him for a long time, but did not notice!!  The main character is a butler and a man, but you would never have guessed the man bit.

Daisy in Chains - Sharon Bolton
Not bad but the ending, like so many thrillers, is a bit of a let down.

The sky is falling - Sidney Sheldon
Readable but shallow.

Private - James Patterson
Readable but shallow.  I don't think I will read another james patterson book.

Double Indemnity - James M Cain
Why are these sorts of books so alike?  Pretty woman but evil etc etc. Okay

You've been warned - James Patterson
Readable but shallow.  I must stop reading james patterson books, they are  a waste of time

Beach Road- James Patterson
Readable but shallow.

The Black Ice - Michael Connelly
Okay

The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett
Disappointed.  According to one list supposed to be the best thriller ever.  But to me it reads the same old story, 'hard bitten' detective meets pretty woman who turns out to be  evil.
Report bodil August 18, 2017 10:46 PM BST
I read the latest - out this week - Montalbano/Camilleri. A Nest Of Vipers - your usual incest/patricide stuff. OK. The BBC is showing 4 new Montalbanos, starting 9pm tomorrow. I like the sunshine, white Miocene rocks and the food. And often some cracking ladies. Warning - apparently Livia, his chronic girlfriend, is played by a new (4th) actress. Hopefully better than the last one.
Report annie. August 18, 2017 11:37 PM BST
Thanks for that, bodil. 

I looked up the author and his books look worth reading as he is old and has lived a life and apparently they reflect the italy of the last twenty years and all the politcs it involves as well.  So you get a history and a travel book as well as a thriller.  My kind of book, hopefully.  I have been bored with the books I have been reading lately.
Report bodil August 18, 2017 11:45 PM BST
They are a good series - and I enjoy the programs. Vague idea you don't have a TV (television that is, since you live in Brighton).  They've done wonders for tourism in Sicily - it is a remarkable island with a unique history and cuisine.  The mafia (who don't feature that much in the books) usually shoot each-other.
Report annie. August 19, 2017 12:52 AM BST
I have moved from brighton, first back to my flat in london and then from there to where i am now.  I don't have a tv but do see programs at a friends.  Do you think it is better to see the series first and then read the books or visa versa, I must admit to liking box sets.
Report bodil August 19, 2017 1:21 AM BST
You can watch/read in any order. I've rarely made a firm connection between the book and the film. All good. Box set (not new series) great.

Which county are you in now then?
Report annie. August 19, 2017 1:39 AM BST
Thanks, bodil.  Goodnight
Report bodil August 19, 2017 1:46 AM BST
Sleep well.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now